The Patriots Vertical and Horizontal Big Board

NEPD Staff Writer: Mike Gerken

Over the past several weeks, I have given you the players I think the Patriots should target at each position when the team is on the clock. Now, like the team will do,  I have put those names on both a vertical and horizontal board. This is done (for me anyways) to be able to see the names clearly and to get a feel for how I rank the prospects against each other. Remember, the Patriots typically go into the draft with somewhere between 75 and 100 names and I have built my board the same way. Here is how I rank the players I like for the Patriots in this year’s draft.

Vertical Board:

101. Zach Sieler, DL, Ferris State
  102. Braxton Berrios, WR, Miami
  103. Dmitri Flowers, FB, Oklahoma
  104. Jake Campos, OT, Iowa State

Horizontal Big Board:

2018 horizontal big board

I couldn’t get the Horizontal Board to look clean and nice directly on the site, so I made a link to it. (I am sure there is a way to do that, but I am not computer savvy enough to do it.) We are just two days away at this point. There is still more content to come. Unfortunately, I will not be at home for the draft this year, so my access to the computer will be limited until I get back on Sunday. I am going to put up some draft day threads so everyone has a place to post comments on picks and everything else draft related.

26 Responses to “The Patriots Vertical and Horizontal Big Board”

1. bill says:

Hurst from michigan?

2. Michael says:

Mike:. Did McGlinchly play next to Nelson on ND’s OLine? If so how much does that improve McGinchly’s college performance?
    Thanks

• Mike Gerken says:

He did. That is a good question. Did McGlinchey help Nelson look good, or was it the other way around? Truth is, probably a little bit of both. Nelson is clearly the better player and having that on the inside probably allowed McGlinchey to focus on the edge.
      McGlinchey struggled with speed in college and if he does not have that stud LG next to him to help with inside pressure, that could be a long term issue.

3. kevinz says:

Outside the Box Mock to help brady plus the defense along with 2 shots at a qb. think allen TE and Hollister mayb gone or need pushed. Feel like RB TE translate to our O much faster than WR.

1st #23- Fred Warner LB surprise pick here not much worse than Evans and top LB’s .
    2nd #43- OGbonnia OKoronKno DE start as a rushing role player
    2nd #51- Ian Thomas TE
    2nd #63- Mike White QB
    3d #95- Chris Herndon TE
    4th #117- Ade Aruna DE
    5th #153 – Ito Smith RB
    6th #198- Javon rolland-jones DE
    6th #210- Chad Kanoff QB
    7th #219- Lavon Coleman RB

4. jimr says:

Mike, Fantastic job as usual

Could BB trade up ? given the number of teams who may want to trade back too get extra picks, the Patriots may have a hard time finding a trade partner with picks 23 & 31.
    So could BB trade up, with say the Chargers for #17 & #48 for the Patriots #23 & #31.
    BB would move up 6 picks to get DL Da’Ron Payne, and the Chargers would move up 17 picks from 48 to 31. ??/???

• Stephen J says:

I have the Pats trading with Detroit at 20 to get in front of Cincinnati for Frank Ragnow.

Detroit Pick 20…Pick Value 850……Patriots Pick 23 Pick Value 760
      Detroit Pick 153………………29.8…Patriots Pick 95 Pick Value 120
      ………………..Total Value…879.8…………………..Total Value…880

• Stephen J says:

Here is the draft value Chart for this years draft that I was using.

• Daniel says:

Is Ragnow better than Price? If Wynn still available, would you still pick Ragnow?

• Stephen J says:

Yes. Yes.

Ragnow over Wynn because Wynn even though he played Tackle at Georgia, Wynn would be the smallest tackle ever to play at Tackle in the NFL. So I have Wynn as a Guard only where as Ragnow can play Center Guard and possibly Tackle. Both Wynn and Ragnow are impressive Wynn allowed 26 pressures on 2609 snaps while Ragnow allowed 35 pressures 0 sacks on 2603 snaps. While both have been efficient and have a high degree of technique I graded Ragnow out overall higher than Wynn due to positional flexibility and size/athleticism to go along with technique and upside.

Ragnow graded out higher than Price for me. Price in 2017 allowed 10 pressures 1 sack on 381 snaps. That equates to 1 pressure every 38.1 snaps where as Ragnow had 35 pressures on 2603 snaps which equates to 1 pressure every 74.3 snaps.

Both Wynn and Price are very good just Ragnow is just better in terms of production athleticism and what the Pats look for overall to me.

• Daniel says:

Excellent breakdown Stephen! I appreciate the information. I agree with you, in light of this info, that Ragnow has been better.

Follow up, you think Ragnow in the 1st would be a better value/opportunity that Brown in the 3rd(assuming he falls that far due to combine performance, or lack thereof,) considering LT is a position of far greater need?

• Stephen J says:

As far as Brown goes no I do not see him being more valuable in the 3rd round than Ragnow in the 1st. One Brown doesn’t come close to meeting the Pats athletic traits (note that in and of itself doesn’t disqualify him but it is a rare case when it does happen) Two he isn’t a LT in the Patriots system. He is built more like Marcus Cannon, who plays RT and only fills in at LT in an emergency. Three Brown came from a simplified offensive system and there would be a steep learning curve in the 1st year. In other words he wouldn’t be starting. Where as Ragnow can step in and be a starter in the 1st year.

As much as I like Ragnow I find this a hard trade to buy. The numbers work but how is Ragnow suddenly a 1st rd. pick when he’s rated 3rd rd almost everwhere?

• Stephen J says:

I don’t know about suddenly and almost everywhere but PFF has him as their 16th ranked player in this draft and they been tooting his horn before the 2017 season even began. NDT Scouting has him as their 2nd overall OL man right behind Quenton Nelson. Outside of that statistically as Jeff pointed out in his report from PFF he hasn’t allowed 1 sack in his entire college career where he has had 2603 snaps. He’s big and athletic has played in the SEC. PFF also stated he’s been arguably as dominant as Nelson over the past couple seasons when Ragnow has been the highest rated Center.

Which can be seen here https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/981539641663852544

Former Cowboys coach and new Bengals coach Frank Pollack said that he see’s a better version of Cowboys Center Travis Frederick whom he coached and who was drafted in the 1st round. Cincinnati and Minn along with NE went to his home town and worked him out. Minn has been looking heavily at the Center position and have interviewed and or worked out all 3 top rated Centers. Cincinnati is ready to make him their 1st round pick not to mention Carolina has been mentioned as a likely spot if he falls down to them. It’s not a question of is he a 1st rounder just how high of a 1st rounder.

• macspak says:

a fly in that ointment may be that reports are there is greater value in round 2 and 3 picks than late round 1 encouraging teams to load up on 2’s and 3’s.

6. Mike says:

I am traveling to meet up with friends for the draft. So I will not miss a pick I guarantee. Just won’t have my trusty computer in front of me. I will have lots of thoughts when I return on Sunday.

Have a great time Mike and thanks again for all your hard work. I plan on enjoying myself as well as this should be one of our most interesting drafts in a long while.

7. steve earle says:

Draft day comment page great idea Mike looking forward to that.

*/ ?>