Draft Conversation Thread: Round 1

NEPD Staff Writer: Mike Gerken

This post is for night one of the NFL Draft. I will try to check in here and there if I can and I cannot wait to read this thread on Sunday.

71 Responses to “Draft Conversation Thread: Round 1”

1. EdgeX says:

Well I was busy didn’t get a chance to chime in last night, but now I do….

First…HAHAHAHAHHHAHA!!! to all those to bought into the QB smokescreen in the first round. You guys should have known better by now! (No offense)

Second…who saw the Pat’s taking two offensive players when they have so many perceived holes on defense…not me that’s for sure. I think this might be the final nail in the coffin for me to never mock player’s to the Patriots ever again.

Third….I’m not sure I see Wynn as a tackle. But with the trade for OT Trent Brown from the 49ers the Pat’s are going to have a competition at OT this year.

Fourth….I’m hoping the Pat’s take a LB and DE in the second round…just not sure who. Lorenzo Carter maybe? Kemoko Turay? Rasheem Green? Here’s hoping!

Fifth…I’m going to try and hold reservations on judging this class until after next season. But right now the Pat’s are making it really difficult to be positive.

2. Daniel says:

I am feeling better about the Michel pick now than last night, as to my mind this demonstrates an effort to select players that will enable the team to win now. I know that is cliche, especially because every coach wants to win every year. But if there was truly any doubt in Brady’s ability and/or willingness to play for the next 2-3 years then a greater effort may have been made to draft a QB. Perhaps Coach Belichick will wait until next years draft after so many QB needy teams reached for one this year. I don’t know college ball, so I would like to know which QBs will turn pro next year. Perhaps he will select a sleeper QB such as JT Barrett in the 7th, which is something I have been clamoring for all week.

My biggest concern with Michel are his extensive injury history and fumble issues. People are comparing him to Kamara, although I suspect that is overly hyped. Kamara is likely a slightly better runner and a much better pass catcher. But if Michel is that good then he very well could be all that is needed to win another ring. My greatest confusion concerning this pick is that we have Jeremy Hill, James White, Rex Burkhead, Brandon Bolden, James Develin and Mike Gillislee already on the roster. No way they carry that many backs on the 53, and some of these players are high quality.

Conversely, they might be threadbare in the front seven. Considering they were 1st offensively and last defensively last year, AND despite a 503 yard, 3 TD 0 pick performance by the GOAT they still lost the Superbowl last year, I would have preferred they go defense. Especially because Landry was/is still available. He is being compared to Vic Beasely on NFL.com. I am a huge value guy. I see far greater value in selecting a top 15 rated prospect 31 overall than selecting a 2nd round graded RB (a position far more easily filled.)

However, we should consider Derek Rivers might be the edge rusher he was drafted to be upon returning from knee surgery, Adrian Clayborne was brought in to help them rush the QB, and Belichick might be expecting to get Danny Shelton to play somewhere approaching his value and talent level as perceived when he was drafted 12th overall just a couple years ago.
    Perhaps those three additions, plus the return of a rested Hightower, might catapult this defense into the next level. Additionally, Harold Landry, Arden Key and PJ Hall are still on the board.

The Wynn pick makes sense because most boards had him as the 16th best player. Also, I believe he would have been higher if he were taller. I never played the game so I could be way off base, but it seems as though height only matters at the LT position because it typically corresponds to longer arms. I have read Wynn has long arms despite being only 6’2″ Furthermore, it seems as though being shorter would be better provided you could still maintain a greater reach. Better because the lower center of gravity would add leverage and power when “wrestling” a rushing defender. Also better in not obstructing QB’s view of the playing field (I recognize this is more significant to the interior line positions.) Plus, Scarnecchia is believed by many to be one of the greatest offensive line coaches of all time, to my understanding. I will trust his appraisal of any prospective linemen.

3. RichC says:

Whoever said belechik was a defensive genius has his head up his butt. There was no need to take a RB at pick 31. The area of need was tackle and defense. How many RBs do we need

4. Yohy says:

Slept on it, still don’t feel any better. First the Jimmy G trade then the Butler benching and now this questionable draft. What the heck is going on?
    For a defense that couldn’t get off the field on 3rd and 4 down in the SB and almost lost to Blame Bortles.
    I can only surmise that the answers to the problems on Dee are already on the roster. Rivers, Langi, and Cyrus Jones had better step up or this year the Jags or Steelers will finally get past the Pats

• Daniel says:

Hightower coming back rested

Danny Shelton (12 overall in 2015) might finally start producing

Derek Rivers back from Knee Surgery

Adrian Clayborne (9-10 sack guy) added to the roster

Arden Key, Harold Landry, P J Hall still available on the board

A RB in the 1st round, seems like a reach. Like the Wynn pick, very good prospect. Philly got the trade back they wanted, but not the Patriots. New Orleans gave TWO 1st’s to get Davenport ? ………… BAD deal. But Seattle gets the bonehead pick so far !!
    LB Loranzo Carter still available, not a fan of Landry. CB Jackson good value, still there.

6. JoeyNL says:

I get the Wynn pick. Good value and a guy who can start from day one. They now have some redundancy along the O-line so I am curious who will lose out in the battle for a roster spot.

I don’t get the Michel pick. I like the player but in a draft this deep with quality RB’s at a position where we don’t have a pressing need I feel we should have used this pick on a different position.

7. Mike says:

I finally have a chance to chime in. I know it’s late and nobody will see this, but here are just a few quick thoughts.
    1. Very interesting that they announced Wynn as a Tackle. I brought this up earlier in the process that I thought it was strange that teams would not at least give him a shot at Tackle. He doesn’t have the height, but the arm length is there.

2. I haven’t read all the comments, but I assume most are not as excited about this pick. I get it. With Lamar on the board, I thought that was the pick. I actually really like the player and thought he had a chance to go in the 1st, just not to NE.

3. Clearly there is an issue with Landry that hasn’t been identified to the public yet. I assume there is a medical concern because he should not be on the board still.

• Markus Todt says:

1) Not just the arm length but also the quick feet and technique. As you said in your article, he’s a great prospect who still has a lot of upside.

2) I actually like, or understand, the Michel pick. They’ll have a cheap three-down RB for (at least) 4 years. Sure, his medical condition might lead to a shorter career, but he’s ready now, so there shouldn’t be too much of a development period.

8. kevinz says:

All i know is Plenty draft left plenty D talent left on the board. If Sony lives up to the Kamara Comp. i believe this page or Board would be quite Happy.

9. steve earle says:

Not to concerned about offensive picks today because plenty of good LB and DE’s still on the board as well as some Saf’s. I did expect he would trade down #31 but once again BB does the unexpected. Now I’m expecting that trade down in one of our 2nd’s. Still plenty of draft to go.

10. Yohy says:

Maybe the Georgia trend continues tomorrow and Bill takes Carter. Nah Who is the Bulldogs long snapper?

11. kevan says:

Disappointed once again.

12. Daniel says:

Wow! Almost dead last ranked defense, looking at a top 10 defensive prospect at a position of need, and they go with a running back who has almost as many injuries as he has starts. Oh well. Belichick wins. It isn’t as bas as Tavon Austin but I just don’t get it. Maybe he can replace Lewis if he can stay healthy.

The question is will that bone on bone knee last a full season? Your amazement is as great as mine.

• Yohy says:

I guess the philosophy is ” If you can’t stop em then out score em”

A RB can be found in lower rounds of even free agency.

Why pass on Landry and Jackson twice?

• matt says:

Don’t worry this guy will be the next Easley. They have a good amount of RB’s they needed some to help get after the QB like Landry. Well with any luck this will be BB last draft.

13. Daniel Sullivan says:

Sony Michal is a awesome back a threat to go all the way anytime he touches ball.
    Wynn played excellent at Tackle for Georgia but he has the size of a Guard.I like the idea
    of keeping him at Tackle. He’s a very tough player.

Yea Wynn is a good OL prospect. They announced him as an OT ? ? ? Won’t that be interesting going against all conventional wisdom. But that.s Belichick. Bone on bone knee for Michel they reported so if it holds at all it likely a short carrier.

14. kevinz says:

Wow Sony my first Binkie until fumbles and injuries. if healthy love Pick shocked though early.

15. macspak says:

Lamer, Landry or trade

16. macspak says:

93 Terrell Edmunds S Virginia Tech

is this like Bill reaching for a safety in the 2nd round but worse?

17. Daniel Sullivan says:

Great Running Backs,Safety’s and Defensive Ends still available plus plenty of QB’S.
    Wynn is solid.

18. macspak says:

here’s where Mike had him

67 Rashaad Penny RB San Diego State

pushes another higher rated player closer to 31

19. JH says:

I think Wynn could potentially play left tackle. He’s got great length and if he was 2 inches taller he would have been the top left tackle in the draft. He’s everything you look for in a left tackle minus his height. If the Patriots drafted him to be a left tackle then I actually think its a great pick. If they drafted him to play guard then I’m not a huge fan.

20. Daniel says:

Good value but did we really need a guard?
    When I saw that graphic 1st offense 31st
    Defense, I was thinking “gotta be Landry.”.
    Least wasn’t a CB. Wish they traded up for James.
    He fell withing 6 picks or less.

21. kevinz says:

Wynn not a sexy pick but effective if garcia works out he LT while Wynn helps for Mason if he leaves. Who knows Wynn could be a Tackle

22. Sean Sawyer says:

Awful defense so lets draft a tackle, hate this pick, typical!

• Yohy says:

Totally agree. Once Tenn moved ahead of the Pats in New Evans was gone. I guess Rivers is the man and Cyrus Jones isn’t a bust. Otherwise Bill passed on Landry, and Jackson twice

23. kevan says:

Lions and titans got players patriots were targeting. Go figure

24. Sean Sawyer says:

Rashaan Evans or Maurice Hurst at 23?

25. macspak says:

lot of highly rated players still on the board

10 Derrius Guice RB LSU

21 Mike Hughes CB UCF

23 Will Hernandez OG UTEP

26 Josh Jackson CB Iowa
    27 Maurice Hurst DL Michigan
    28 Taven Bryan DL Florida

26. macspak says:

Harold Landry in somewhat of a freefall

27. Daniel Sullivan says:

Pats don’t need to trade up.Nice picks will be available. I would possible move 31 for additional
    picks.

28. gln826 says:

When has there ever been an OG drafted before an OT? I always likes “undersized” OT’s being kicked inside than 90% of “normal” OGs

29. macspak says:

13 Josh Rosen QB UCLA
    14 Jaire Alexander CB Louisville
    15 James Daniels OC/OG Iowa

30. Sean Sawyer says:

Denver gets Derwin James or Chubb, or someone else

31. Claude Edouard says:

Bradley Chubb is there for the taking! Will Bill be aggressive and make that move up the board?

32. J H TARBORO says:

Mock drafts blown up in the 1st 4 picks!!!

33. macspak says:

didn’t know Darnold was only 20

34. macspak says:

Cleveland going with Chubb? Or, trade? If trade, I wouldn’t fall back too far. I bet Chubb.

35. gln826 says:

1st year I haven’t looked into any players…..all the picks and their highlights will be new to me

36. macspak says:

watching NFL or ESPN? Interesting first pick Baker Mayfield.

37. Sean Sawyer says:

Gronk,23,63, to Indy for the 6th and
    67 (I have Gronk at 800 points)
    Bradly Chubb DE with pick 6

31 and next years 1 ( 600 points)
    to Washington for the 13 and 109
    Da’Ron Payne DT with 13

Ronnie Harrison SS with 43

Mark Andrews TE with 67

My dream mock! 40 points to a hack qb!! Fix it now

38. td says:

A Red Carpet Draft Show!!!! I remember back in the day I had to find out the results of the draft in some magazine a month or two later.

39. JH says:

Here’s my final mock draft, thanks to everyone for yet another fun draft season!! Can’t wait to see who we get. LETS GOOOOO!!!

(Trade early second rounder for mid-2nd and mid-3rd round picks)

1st – ILB Leighton Vander Esch, Boise State
    1st – EDGE Josh Sweat, Florida State
    2nd (trade) – QB Kyle Lauletta, Richmond
    2nd – OT Joseph Noteboom, TCU
    3rd (trade) – SS Dane Cruikshank, Arizona
    3rd – DT P.J. Hall, Sam Houston State
    6th – QB Alex McGough, FIU
    6th – RB Ryan Nall, Oregon State
    7th – TE Andrew Vollert, Weber State

NO QB Jackson ! Watch for LB Loranzo Carter at #23, that’s what I’m hearing from my friend.

• kevin z says:

Hope your friend is right Russell might be a reach but Carter to me a higher effort Jamie Collins type no complaints here if That’s the Pick.

• EdgeX says:

I definitely would like Carter on the Pat’s team.

Not sure he goes in the first round though.

41. EdgeX says:

I amazed at the amount of rumors and probable lies floating around right now.

It’s like no one knows what another team is doing this year. Usually we have some inkling.

I also can’t believe that Mike Mayock has the Pat’s taking a OT and Center in the first round. Well, Ok I can believe the OT, but a center? I can’t wrap my head around that from either a need or value perspective.

I’m beginning to wonder if everything being leaked about the Pat’s is coming from THEM trying to manipulate the draft board.

Ok…going to have to turn off NFL network before my head explodes from more rumors or conspiracies…..

42. J H TARBORO says:

I’ve been saying it for months, Lamar Jackson!!! At #31 trade out and down and pick up multiple pieces, some teams don’t have 2nd or 3rd round picks.

• EdgeX says:

No, just no!

He can’t play in the current Patriots system. The Pat’s would have to change EVERYTHING to build around Jackson’s abilities and I just can’t see them doing that. Plus with his physical build he’s likely to have his knees taken out and career derailed just like what happened to RG3. YUGE risk and a wasted pick imo.

Maybe I’m in the minority here, but the Pats don’t NEED to take any QB this year.

• kevan says:

They might not need to draft a qb, but it would be foolish not to. I’m going with Logan woodside

43. Daniel Sullivan says:

I’m out the of blocks fast.
    1 (23) Connor Williams OT Texas