Scouting Report: Marcus Davenport, DE/LB

Would the Patriots be interested in a small school prospect with big time upside early in the draft?

NEPD Staff Writer: Mike Gerken

It seems like every post I write these days has to start out with an apology, and this one is no different. We are still trying to figure out just where the hours go in the day now that we have 2 very active and rambunctious little boys. Finding an hour to type these things out is a lot harder than I ever would have imagined. So, what do I need to cover since the last time? Oh yeah, Iowa State is bowl eligible!!! I am not sure if any of you watched that game against Kansas State, but that was a travesty with how that game ended. I am happy to see Iowa State has locked up Matt Campbell long term as I think he is a great teaching coach and can really develop a winning culture. Enough about that though, the Patriots are doing what the Patriots do and they looked poised for another run at the Super Bowl. There are still things that need improving and positions that are getting really thin, which is a concern for this year and a reason to look at some prospects for next year. That brings us to Marcus Davenport. Now, I know the name has been brought up on this site before, but for those who may not know who he is, here is what you need to know.

Name: Marcus Davenport (#93)

School: University of Texas San Antonio (Sr.)

Height: 6’7″ (unofficial)

Weight: 255 Lbs (unofficial)

Positives:

From the moment you put on tape of UTSA, you know which player is Marcus Davenport. His height and length immediately stand out on tape. He has long arm arms and strong hands and he uses them well in a variety of ways. He is very good at locking his arms out and not allowing offensive lineman to get into his pads. He has developed a bull rush, a rip, and a dip move to get to the Quarterback. He has shown on occasion a spin move as well, but it needs more development. He has broad shoulders and good upper body strength with a frame to add more mass to. Davenport has an explosive first step and shows the coveted trade of converting speed to power. He shows the ability to set the edge and get off blocks in the run game. He has a non stop motor and can be seen making plays downfield and away from his side. When he doesn’t get to the QB, he uses his long arms to knock down throws. He seems to diagnose and process plays quickly.

Negatives:

Obviously competition level is a concern, but he was productive in the handful of games he played against power five competition. He will need to get stronger and be more consistent in the run game, but again, he has the frame to add the mass, so while it may be a short term concern, I think in time this will not be an issue. He does have to throttle down some when changing direction and I don’t see the bend in the ankles and needs to be a speed rusher. While he is quick to recognize plays, he also has shown to be too aggressive, especially in run pass options. Too many times he crashes down on the Runningback only to allow the QB to have a wide open running lane to the outside on his side. It is not always, but its enough that if he doesn’t clean it up, he will lose early down snaps.

Overall:

I am a sucker for guys with Davenports physical and athletic attributes and I tend to rank them higher than most. What I like about his game is that he is not just a long lanky athlete from a small school that wins on athleticism alone. While his overall game will need refinement, he has developed some pass rush moves and he plays the run. He has the frame to get bigger and a motor that teams will love. While the strength of his game right now is as a pass rusher, I think he can develop into a strong player in both aspects of the game. He is going to test very well and I believe by the time the draft roles around he will be talked about as a first rounder.

155 Responses to “Scouting Report: Marcus Davenport, DE/LB”

1. Stephen J says:

I don’t recall the last time this has happened if ever but right now the Browns have the 1st and 5th overall picks. If the Pats held those picks what two players would you select

Another QB I’m watching; Taylor Lamb 6’2″ 200, Appalachion State, 61.7 % 27 TD, 6 int, avg 8.1 yds per pass.
    Limited tape, interviews well (I met him once ; 15 mins.) good foot work, throws a “catchable” ball with touch, smart guy, big hands 9.5″

• macspak says:

not quite on point but a QB I currently am watching is Eli Manning. You know the Giant QB that seemingly the entire world was up in arms about due to his recent benching. You know that perennial All Pro who routinely brings his team tot he playoffs? yeah, that’s the one.

Really, how bad does a QB and team have to be for the coach, GM and Mngt not be crucified when they make a change. If the Brown’s had lived with BB’s Kosar decision so many lifetimes ago he may never have taken the Patriots to such heights and earned a spot as one of the all time greats.

btw – did you catch 49’s GM Lynch’s recent quote about JG. His Bucs teams would have won 5 S Bowls with I’m as their QB. Quite the accolade. God, I hope he doesn’t become THAT good.

• macspak says:

also watching Goff and Wentz. Do you remember how bad Goff was last year? I must admit I thought he already was a bust. His growth is amazing. Hope it is nothing too serious for Wentz – his injury Excellent young QB. What he did today on the road against a top D is impressive. I could see him being MVP over Brady. Will depend how each close out the season. Which may make it depended on the type and extent of injury to Wentz. For my money Wentz and Watson are the two best young QB’s in the game. Will JG join them?

Russell Wilson having quite the season but I think him being the teams top rusher is overblown. That actually is a negative and not a positive and speaks more towards their lack of a running game, and maybe OL, than a Wilson accolade. Still, he is quite the magical and instinctive QB. Great feel for the game. Like a great point guard.

What does WA do with Cousins. Nice QB but not upper echelon. No way can they again franchise him, way too costly. Winston and Mariotta both have been disappointments this year. more so Winston.

More I think about it the more I think Pats take a QB with SF’s 2nd rounder. Not as a reach but because I think one worth taking will be there.

Rich Hill (Pats Pulpit) did and interesting poll, on the Patriots up-coming draft needs; with these results;
    1st – LB with coverage skills
    2nd – QB developmental prospect
    3d- pass rusher, & OT
    4th – CB/S
    LB’s with coverage skills in this draft tend to be, 6’1-3″, 225–230 lbs, Harder yet is a speedy LB . I’m watching Ulysees Gilbert III , to see if he declairs (Junior) 6′ 225 lbs, 4.56 40 yd. from Akron. Limited tape but has skills in coverage (#3 interceptions), and strong tackler (123 this year)

4. Daniel Sullivan says:

Patriots Mock Draft
    1Dorance Armstrong Jr. DE Kansas
    2 Marcus Allen S Penn State
    2 Mike Gesicki TE Penn State
    3 Luke Falk QB Washington St.
    4 Steve Ishmael WR Syracuse
    6 Christian LaCouture DT LSU

Great News BC BEATS DUKE!!! HORRIBLE NEWS STANTON GOES TO Yankees..
    J.D. MARTINEZ the Red Sox should be deciding which number he wears get him here fast.

Finally Give something to a charity for Holidays nothing will make you buy will make you feel
    any better!!!!

Dan Sullivan

5. macspak says:

Been looking at 2018 and 2019 salary cap. Only have $18 Mill or so for 2018 and that is without Solder, Waddle, Fleming, Butler, Lewis, Burkhead, Amendola and a few others. There are some players who can be cut with no cap consequences such as Bennett, Allen, Gillislee and a few others and some with minimal consequences such as Branch. Point is, lot’s of shuffling to do.

2019, as of now, has about $57 Mill in cap room. Obviously that will change this offseason due to signings, whether of our own or other FA’s, and restructures.

For 2018, who do we want back? Who can we afford to bring back?

Butler, Lewis and Burkhead would be really nice to have back along with 2 of 3 of the OT’s. Wouldn’t mind a healthy Bennett and Allen with major restructures.

Good breakdown mac. My 2 cents, Thinking Lewis and Burkhead are locks. Amendola depending on if BB drafts a WR early but he’s just so part of BB’s trusted it’s hard to see him being released.
      Also agree with your thinking on Bennett but would like a redo contract based on performance, ie small guaranteed money. Hope something can be worked out there as Allen can be replaced with a back-up OT IMO.
      Every year at this time we look ahead at the cap and start worrying but somehow Belichick always pulls the parts together somehow. Be interesting to see how it all unfolds again this time. I’m sure I’ll have my complaint list long and detailed as it does so, as usual, but will be happy with the end results this time next year.
      Gp Pat’s, squish the fish!

6. Stephen J says:

Senior Bowl Update Small School Talent

Highlighted in this video

Dallas Goedert

Marcus Davenport

Kyle Lauletta

Branden Parker

This is my thing, the o-line work and Thuney’s highlights shown from the perfect perspective. You are absolutely correct that the usual perspective of camera down the line is near useless topped off by the follow the ball necessity of TV. Nice highlights! Did you notice in the 3rd play that if the LT had come off his double team a fraction quicker and picked up the off side pursuit that could have resulted in a long gain. Shows how intricate the timing must be by O-lines. I loved coaching the line, but that was long ago.

7. GM-in-Training says:

Thoughts on Eric Lee:
    1. Cool that a late-season addition comes up to speed so quickly
    2. Seems to confirm that Pats prefer stout >260# DE for containment
    3. Nice to see him make a difference in Buffalo
    4. It will be interesting to see if his game against Buffalo is representative, or if he benefitted a lot from knowing them so well.

8. macspak says:

Geez, that White guy made an awfully quick recovery from that “concussion.” I see know he is lucky he was not killed or bit off his tongue and god knows what else. Lucky guy. While laying on the ground with his head on the ground he got hit in the back of a football helmet, said hit creating no or minimal movement of the head, and thus the brain. Can you say biomechanics? Forces necessary to create body movement resulting in an injury. I said White was playing drama Queen and I am more convinced of it now. As stated dumb and dirty hit by Gronk who deserved to be ejected and suspended. But let’s not overdo the actual results of what he did. Enough is enough.

On to Miami where Pats usually struggle and hope without Gronk, Cannon and some others the right mind set and enough talent, motivation and game plan to play well and win. Need home field advantage.

I like Quin Blanding very much, as a future Chung/McCourty replacement. The 1st pick gets a 5th yr. contract option with long term in mind.
    BB is going to trade the 1st, or the 49ers 2nd, to get more choices. (very likely) the 2nd pick, if he wants his 1st pick, contract option.
    My board is set by best prospect by position, (that BB could likely get). Then broken down by best prospect fit in BB system.
    Blanding is my #1 prospect. Phillips, Hurst, (boarder line available to BB) Smith ,,fall in the #2 prospect area. I have 9 prospects in the #3 slot.

Like Steve after further prospect study, and Mike’s info on WR Miller, I’ve rest my mock;

1st- S Quin Blanding , My “Binkie” this year to replace Slater (retire) on special teams day one with a future Chung replacement. Butler’s return is a question. Richards ?
    2nd – (49ers) DL Harrison Phillips, I Like Hurst here as well, but think he will be off the board. I question if Branch is back next year.
    2nd- WR Anthony Miller, Hard to see Amendola back again next year, and Miller has high upside on special teams. Mitchell will be back, so someone makes room on the roster.
    3d – OL Braden Smith, plays mostly OG (drops a little in the draft) but upside quickness at OT. Solder a question, but I think he resigns at a lesser rate? or retires? So Fleming maybe gone with cheap contract up. Garcia future?
    4th (Comp) – QB Matt Linehan , BB back to carrying 3 QB’s, or P-Squad.
    6th – LB Ulysees Gilbert, very impressed with limited tape, smart guy. Hard to know if Ebner will be back, and Gilbert has good speed and strong tackler, tho 6′ 225 lbs.

I really like Harrison Plillips he would be a good pick there. I see a lot concern about our safety’s here on the site and though they have been around awhile I detect no perceptible drop off in their games or am I missing something? Anyway that brings me to your 1st pick Blanding. Not questioning his talent just why do you think this would be the best position to address with a 1st rd pick? Is he likely to earn a starting spot over Chung or McCourty next Sept or get a high percentage of snaps over Harmon? Asking because I don’t understand your reasoning.

• JH says:

He’s saying his role next year would be special teams and backup SS to Chung, and then in year two and beyond he would hopefully become the starting SS because Chung is a free agent that year. Chung may be doing okay now, but in 2 years he may not be and the Pats are known to draft a year early regarding free agency and they also are known to let older players go a year before they decline.

Okay, if that’s what he’s saying it’s still a question to me if a Saf taken in the 1st and intended to play ST’s for the next year, maybe two, is the best value for a 1st rd pick over say a good developmental 3rd-4th rd pick that could do the same thing in the same time frame. As of right now NFL Draft Scout has Blanding as a 2-3rd rd pick projection. Unless Blanding is expected to become an all pro or close to it I don’t see him going in the first, do you? The value just seem to be there.

Another opps! It should say “the value just doesn’t seem to be there”.

• JH says:

Additionally, it’s really never a good idea to bank on having a rookie starter, no matter what round they’re taken. That’s why the Patriots tend to avoid drafting for immediate needs and instead for the future. This is why I think the Patriots are better off signing a high profile free agent DT instead of drafting one high because we already have 4 capable DT’s on the roster with Wise also playing DT occasionally. 3 of those 4 DT’s are 23 years old (so is Wise), so why use a high draft pick on one when we already have so much youth at the position? We don’t need to wait for yet another DT to develop, we need one that can step in right away which is much more easily achieved through a high profile free agent. My two favorites are Dontari Poe and Sheldon Richardson, but I prefer Poe because he’s a better run stopper and although he doesn’t get a ton of sacks he was in the top 10 in the NFL in QB pressures as of late November.

• JH says:

I think Russell is just particularly high on Blanding and for good reason as he is a really good player. We likely won’t know Blanding’s true value until April and I wouldn’t be surprised if he rises into the late first round discussion. But to answer your question, I don’t think the Pats would feel as comfortable drafting their safety of the future in the 3rd-4th round. If they waited until that point in the draft to get a safety, then they wouldn’t have a clear safety of the future. Sure, that player could play special teams and be an okay backup, but the chances of that player being our future safety wouldn’t be as high, which is the main point in taking a safety early. You could argue his main role in year one would be backing up Chung for a year in case he goes down, and eventually take over his spot long term. The special teams aspect of it is simply an extra trait the player brings to the table, not his main one.

I understand a high profile DT would be a good way to go, also about ten times more expensive. As you say we have some good young experienced talent but drafting a rookie for the inside to get an inside rush to eliminate forcing Flowers to play out of position. You might also check Russell’s mock again and see he also takes a DT as I do.
          I fall back again on the need to reinforce weaker segments as the best use of draft picks. Currently we have two young DE’s and maybe a 3rd if Lee continues to be as effective as last Sun. I would like one more with high upside (Ejiorfor, my target) to give a solid rotational depth. We also need help at LB which is why I take Davenport who I believe can transition into that spot. A LB corpse of Hightower, Van Noy, Rivers, and Davenport at it’s heart makes for a team strength.
          So going into the 2018 season we would have as team strengths the D-line, line backing and at least a sound D-backfield even if Butler goes. On Off our RB’s are a really strong element as is our receiving. QB goes without question as long as TB12 is here. You can disagree with my prospects but can’t see how you can argue with the philosophy.

• JH says:

I agree with all the needs you just mentioned. But you can’t fix EVERYTHING with the draft. You can’t build a team based on rookies immediately starting if you want to win now. The Pats almost never do that. Sure we could draft someone high that could eventually be a good player but how much playing time is he getting the next few years with the depth we have at DT? How long is it going to take him to be a starter for us? We don’t need to wait, we need an immediate contributor, and that’s what free agency is for. I’m not proposing we shell out a bunch of money either, as the Pats don’t tend to do that either. Getting a good DT is really the only high profile signing I see the Pats making. If the Pats think there’s a guy in the draft that can start Day 1, then go for it. I don’t think that’s likely, though.

One last thought JH. For as long as I can remember 1st rd draft picks are expected to have a meaningful impact on his 1st year not just STs. Just saying.

11. steve earle says:

Having some feed back from turbo and some new info from Stephen J. has me reconsidering my last mock. Replacing two out of three back up O-linemen again with rookies I think is one to many. Keeping Karris is a given so trying again:

1) Marcus Davenport DE/OLB Tex-San-Anto 6-6 255 ( credits well known on this site)

2 SF) Trade down 10 or 15 +/- spots for another 2nd and a 3rd

2 Td) Derrick Nnadi DT Fla St 6-2 304 ( solid inside DT, Branch replacement?)

2) Duke Ejiorfor DE Wake Forest 6-4 270 ( also well known credits this site)

3 Td) Frank Ragnow C/G Ark 6-5 317 ( in top 3-4 OC with ability to play G, Higher upside then current back-ups.)

3) Brandon Parker OT NC A&T 6-8 310 ( depending on combine, Williams unlikely)

4 comp) Coles Rayes Saf N Dak. 6-2 215 ( good speed, good run/pass defender with up side)

5 Traded)
    Earlier someone here suggested we trade any 6th or 7th picks for higher picks next draft (2019) then use those picks to acquire vet players in 2018. I believe that’s a sound idea so will conclude this mock on that note.

Thinking about Stephen’s thoughts on replacing Chung; I watched a guy who looked interesting tho a junior. Ulysees Gilbert III, Akron (smaller program) 6’+ 225 lbs, 4.56 40 yd. avg. with best time 4.47. He plays outside LB , and showed skills in coverage.
    Roquan Smith, also a junior, looks great, with a 40 yd. time of 4.64, at 225 lbs. Smith looks to be a 1st rounder.
    I think Chung plays one more yr. under his current contract, so BB always drafts a yr. ahead. I’m not impressed with Richards, as Chung’s replacement.
    I like Quin Blanding 6’1″ 215 lbs. 4.53 40 yd. as he played every where on Virginia ‘s D and was a tackling machine, with CB skills.

• Russell says:

More info on Ulysees Gilbert;
      2016 & 2017 finished with over 120 tackles per yr.
      Academic all-American nominee, Academic All- MAC, High school President award winner for maintaining a 3.5 grade pt. avg. for all 4 yrs.
      Exercise science major
      played will LB
      special teams kick-off & punt coverage team, for Akron and blocked a kick.
      Had a career high 16 tackles, 10 solo in Kent State game, Junior in High school had 141 tackles as a LB.

• JH says:

I’m also a fan of Blanding. I like Kyzir White better simply because he’s more athletic, but they are both very well-rounded. I’d be happy with either of them, but since White is more athletic he’ll probably go higher than Blanding in the draft, which could mean Blanding would be a better value pick.

This guy sounds really interesting Russell what do you consider the chances of him coming out in the 18 draft and where should he be slated?

13. Stephen J says:

Just came across this Small School CB that put up numbers this spring that the Pats look for

He is listed as 6’0″ and 184 lbs

• Stephen J says:

In an article written about him here

it said this

Scouts representing 28 of the NFL’s 32 franchises — including the Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers and Minnesota Vikings — have visited campus this fall to get a glimpse of the senior defensive back from Oswego, Ill. Some teams have visited UD multiple times. Front office personnel (less prone to travel) have trekked cross country from their big-city headquarters to visit this college with 1,900 students — a rarity when considering this all pertains to an NCAA Division-III player “We’ve had over 50 visits from NFL scouts,” said Drew Nystrom, the Spartans’ offensive coordinator who is also the team’s “NFL liaison” and schedules visits from pro scouts. These stop-ins started in late July, which means that, on average, three-to-four evaluators have swung by campus every week. Prior to Joseph, no player has garnered close to this much NFL attention at UD. The only teams that haven’t visited campus are the Giants, Texans, Steelers and Bengals.
      According to Spartans coaches, the question isn’t “will Michael Joseph make the NFL?” It’s “which team will he play for? “It would be a shocker if he isn’t in a training camp next summer.”

Michael earned a first-team all-Iowa Conference nod following a 42-tackle, three-interception season, culminating in an IIAC championship. He yielded 68 tackles and four picks his junior year, 2016, along with another all-IIAC selection.

What sent NFL scouts flocking to Chalmers Field every week this fall was what occurred in the spring. In January, Nystrom submitted Joseph’s name to BLESTO — a professional scouting service that acts as a conduit to connect the NFL to low-level college prospects. He then obliged when the group requested film on the player. “If the film is good enough, they set up a time to come out and time them,” Nystrom explained. Months later, in April, scouts from both the Chicago Bears and Minnesota Vikings measured Joseph. With both teams recording the time, Joesph ran the 40-yard dash at 4.4 seconds. When asked to do it again off of starting blocks, he clocked at 4.3. “After that, he checked out in all the boxes,” said Nystrom. “He’s a 6-1 corner with 4.4 speed who can hit.

14. Stephen J says:

Had an interesting thought while looking at the updated Fanspeak Mock Draft

It involves having someone to take Chung’s spot next year or the year after.

Do you think Duron Harmon could take over he is listed as 6’1″ 205 lbs

Patrick Chung’s measurements 5’11” 215 lbs. Chung has played S/CB/LB

Then draft someone to take Duron Harmon’s place spot.

My first thought was Deshon Elliot who is listed as 6’2″ 210 lbs

Then I noticed Roquan Smith initially thinking LB for him but he is listed as 6’1″ 225 lbs.

Do you think Roquan could play that role/spot. While watching him he seems like he could fill that role. It will be interesting to see his times and measurements and then compare them to both Chung and Harmon.

• kevin z says:

I think dem. travis will take over for chung. has good size plus physical learning system as well. If j jones don’t take over for D -Mac, mayb find his replacement instead? like david Jones but worry about health history

• kevin z says:

sry forgot to add that Harman much better in deep part of field to range over. Chung best closer to the line being physical, with + tackling. I would say Harmon a – in tackling. Just my IMO though don’t know more than next guy lol

• Stephen J says:

Chung is real good tackler close to the line as Evan Lazar shows here

But he is also good covering in the backfield Where as Harmon is good/decent in covering in the backfield but not so much up close as you pointed out. Like you just a guy learning on the fly.
          What’s interesting is I looked at Harmon’s and Chung’s Pro Day Results

……………Chung……………Harmon
          Weight…..215 lbs……………205 lbs
          3 Cone…..7.11………………7.02
          40 Yard….4.57………………4.51
          20 Shuttle 4.24……………..4.40
          Bench…….25………………..15

I highlight these to show that both Harmon and Chung’s 3 Cone times are good which shows their coverage ability along with decent straight line speed in the 40. The 20 Shuttle which evaluates the quickness and change-of-direction ability which helps Chung at the line and in coverage. While Harmon may not be a good tackler up at the line due to his strength shown in the bench as well as a slower 20 Shuttle, while Chung’s strength is good enough along with his weight quickness and change of speed shown in the 20 shuttle to be able to do that as well.

• Stephen J says:

David Jones reminded me of RAS-I DOWLING when he came out last year due to his injuries. The dude just can’t stay healthy. At least he wasn’t a 2nd round pick.

Here is David Jones Pro Day Results as reported by Tony Pauline

He measured 6014 and 205 pounds today and timed 4.43s/4.45s in the 40 and 4.3s in the short shuttle. His vertical jump topped 34 inches, and his broad measured 10-foot-9. Jones also completed 12 reps on the bench.

Good 40 time not so hot 20 shuttle and weak in the bench. I don’t think he is Chung’s replacement.

• kevin z says:

Yea if D Jones wasn’t always hurt , could play deep safety not towards line like chung. Glad not 2nd rd pick as well, worth risk since undrafted though.

• JH says:

I don’t think Harmon is cut out to play the role Chung does… I think Harmon would be more likely to replace McCourty if need be because he could play Free Safety and then Chung’s replacement would play Strong Safety. I also really liked Damarius Travis last year and thought he had a shot of making the 53-man roster, but I’m not sure if the Patriots see him as their SS of the future. If they don’t I think they’ll draft one high.

• Stephen J says:

I feel the same way JH in regards to Demarius Travis. As far as McCourty and his replacement although Duron Harmon could be I don’t think it is. If it is anybody on this team it is Eric Rowe. Here is why I think that. I was looking at Pro Day’s and here is what I came across

………..Devin McCourty…………Eric Rowe
        3 Cone…… 6.70……………………….6.70
        20 Shuttle..4.07……………………….3.97
        40………….4.48……………………….4.45

Both are nearly Identical
        Now I think I know why they also put Rowe on slot receivers at times his change of direction quickness and agility is ridiculous

• kevin z says:

hmm interesting didn’t realize Rowe at that size, had similar numbers at combine to D mac.
          If he can stay healthy can for sure see that.
          Well yea guess was wishful thinking Travis, from PS could replace Chung when time comes. just knew was good towards the line could improve covering down field like Chung has.

15. Stephen J says:

Here is something I came across today.
    It seems he has ranked college QB’s by AY/A(Ave Yards/Attempt??) with at least 200 attempts
    Not sure I understand it, but thought it was interesting and thought I’d share it here

16. Stephen J says:

4 Round Tankathon Mock Draft

17. Stephen J says:

Quotes from Coaches Scouts on Duke Ejiofor. Duke is a technician/length guy. Not a great athlete. He’s a rotational/spot starter SDE who can kick inside on pass downs. Questionable motor runs hot and cold. Takes too many plays off. Low production against high competition. All his production has come against mid to inferior quality teams/players. Injury prone, hasn’t stayed healthy for a complete season.

Now does that match up to the video breakdown scouting reports and online stats. Let’s check some

Consecutive Snaps vs FSU

OurLads Scouting Report

Walter Football

Duke Ejiofor, DE, Wake Forest
      Height: 6-4. Weight: 270.
      Projected 40 Time: 4.73.
      Projected Round (2018): 2-3.
      11/18/17: Ejiofor has played well for Wake Forest in 2017, totaling 36 tackles with 14.5 for a loss, 6.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and one pass batted. Ejoifor is a solid, sturdy base end with size and quickness on the edge. Sources say they are grading him on Day 2 of the 2018 NFL Draft. They would like to see a more steady motor and consistency from Ejiofor. He may not have the skill set or consistency to be a first-rounder, but he could be a solid second-round pick

Sure sounds and looks like a solid DE to me. May not be superman but Coaches Scouts report appears to be way off. So Stephen what is your opinion?

• Stephen J says:

To me the post season will go a long way in answering some of those questions. He has accepted the Senior Bowl invite so looking forward to see him and so many others as well as the combine and pro day. My initial response while watching a few games is this he has trouble with long armed OL men even though he has long arms himself reportedly around 34 3/4″ we will see at the Senior Bowl and Combine. I saw him get stuffed consistently when lined up in middle where he was directly over Guard or Center that had those long arms. He also took plays off when the play was designed to go away from him. My concern is that he is just a pass rusher and doesn’t set the edge well not that he can’t learn it just like Trey Flowers but if that is the case then he will be a late 3rd – 4th round pick and from the current buzz that maybe to late to select him. When he does have his motor running hot he displays nice bend and rip moves that are set up using those long arms and good hand work. He also has a decent spin move. When lined up diagonally/offset from an OL man he has decent initial burst to get by them not so much when lined up directly in front of them. As far as dominating just top tier competition goes I looked at his stats and who they were against and it does seem to be the case initially but its hard to say just by that because although he lines up mostly on the right or strong side he does move around to the center and weak side as well. Last night I watched him in this years Clemson game where he had 2 tackles. He was at times disruptive and got pressure on the QB/RB he wasn’t overly dominate. So is he a piece that BB could use yes but is he what BB is looking for the post season may determine that just like it did last year for Deatrich Wise

Interesting! Sense I respect your eval and research it appears I may have some second thoughts on where he should be taken. Let me get back to you on this.

@ Stephen J.: Having considered Eijorfor”s position I believe what I would do, if I could, would be to take Davenport with our 1st then trade the 2 SF Down for a mid (14-22) range pick and a 3rd or 4th. Then with the Mid 2nd look for Derrick Nnadi DT with that pick and Ejiorfor with our assigned 2nd. Just don’t think Ejiorfor would slide all the way to our 3rd. Still be looking for a LT successor to Solder given Garcia’s unknown medical and an OG as insurance inside. Leaving a 4 comp, a 6th and possible 7th comp to be decided.

Just to clarify, I mean the 14-22 range in the 2nd rd. Sorry if I was confusing anyone.

18. Daniel Sullivan says:

Patriot Mock Draft.
    1 Malik Jefferson LB Texas
    2 Baker Mayfield QB Oklahoma
    2 Troy Fumagalli TE Wisconsin
    3 Zachary Crabtree OT Oklahoma St.
    4 Rasheem Green DE USC
    6 James Hearns OLB Louisville

BB time to get tough with refs as far as I know after 10 yards no contact with receivers.

To the Red Sox Hopefully there fans get a great leader and first baseman
    in Eric Hosmer from Royals.

To all New England fans the Greatest fans in sports Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

19. Stephen J says:

Slippery Rock DE Marcus Martin now owns NCAA career sack record(With a mention of Tedy Bruschi)

Slippery Rock Roster and Stat breakdown of Marcus Martin 6’2″ 255 lbs

20. steve earle says:

Gronk suspended one game. Will appeal.

21. Stephen J says:

Gronk Suspension where do you stand

I’ve been reading everything from just a fine to 4 game suspension. Where do you stand?

As for me I was surprised he wasn’t ejected from the game. That was totally uncalled for. He knocked Tre’Davious White out cold. Yes Tre’Davious White was holding and pushing him but it’s the Ref’s call or lack of call that Gronk should of been upset with. He shouldn’t of taken it out on White who was face down.

I’m in the camp of a 2 game suspension.

• Stephen J says:

Well the League gives Gronk a 1 game suspension.

Adam Schefter says on ESPN that Gronk will appeal.

• macspak says:

Definitely deserved to be thrown out. No idea why he was not. I am a former official and would have tossed him in a heart beat. Saw no signs White was unconscious. In fact I think there is a bit of drama queen acting going on with supposed concussion. Having said that Gronk deserved to be suspended. One game is appropriate. Appeal is pro forma. It will not be granted. Gronk, unlike Burfict and some others, is a good guy. A solid player who usually plays hard but clean. Type of player to respect. Hopefully this will be a one time aberration. Maybe, just maybe, where he is concerned the game will begin to be called fairly. Like Wilt and Shaq size and dominance sways officials to let opponents get away with murder and fouls and penalties that would and are be called against less dominant. Maybe Gronk brings attention to this and henceforth gets treated fairly and gets the calls other mortal offensive players routinely have go their way.

22. td says:

The hard part is getting these guys to play DE/OLB the BB and MattP want them to; apply pressure and hold the edge. Failure to do the latter is why Marsh was sent packing and why we have issues with scrambling QB’s ala Wilson, Newton, Taylor and now Watson. The funnel is however filled with some good looking young talent.

• Stephen J says:

Marsh was fast enough for those scrambling QB’s but was getting pushed pinned blocked due to weight so you need someone that is strong and big enough to hold the edge without being pushed pinned or blocked yet fast enough to contain the scrambling QB’s.

Rob Ninkovich was 6’3″ 260 lbs

Ran a 4.80 40 but ran a 6.96 3 cone and a 4.18 20 yard shuttle so he had that weight and strength along with that short area quickness shown by the 3 cone and to some extent the 20 yard shuttle

This is where Derek Rivers could come in

6’5″ 250 lbs Pats website

4.61 40
        30 reps bench
        6.94 3 cone

He maybe a little light ideally you look for 255-260 range but with his strength he could be the answer to that next year.

Ejiorfor is listed at 6-4 270 so fits the size. Have to wait for the combine to get strength and other stuff but should be a good DE. As for Davenport he’s taller and lighter but could make a great OLB like we expect Rivers to be. If this Kid Eric Lee continues to be as effective against the rest of teams we play he could become part of a great 4 player DE rotation for us if we get Ejiorfor. Add Davenport to Hightower, Van Noy, Rivers and a couple back ups and we should have one of the better LB corpse in the league. How does this sound?

• macspak says:

a bit overly optimistic?

Overly optimistic? Who me? Well maybe just a tad but I really think Davenport and Ejiorfor could develope into very high performing defenders and give our def front an element seldom seen assembled in the NFL.

• GM-in-Training says:

Exactly. Back in the Andre Carter/Mark Anderson days, the Pats liked DE who were 6’4″ 250, and really fast. Then they figured out that while you could get 10 sacks from such a DE, you didn’t get enough containment, and they switched out to 260# guys with 34″ or 35″ arms and some speed. The length helps them shed blocks and contain. Not quite as many sacks except maybe for Chandler Jones (a 1st rd).

To my thinking, Deatrich Wise Jr. is more the DE prototype for the Pats than Rivers. He’s got 35″ arms and goes 270#. Rivers looks to me like on OLB who can pressure, and hopefully cover.

23. kevin z says:

jw out loud here with the way jon jones tackles along with speed. could he be a FS? not much smaller than Devin? We know he can play the slot and also know FS lines up there, as well.
    Hate to look ahead but safety’s are huge in limited big plays.

Believe your right even though he’s on the short side but his aggressive play can overcome that to a large degree. On the other hand he does really well as the 3rd/4th CB too. If Butler leaves it could be just as well to seek another FA Saf or draft one. Either way J. Jones has become one of my favorites as I suspect he is one of yours.

• kevin z says:

thanks for your response, an yea really like him always going full speed likes to tackle. def could see doing that, guess see what happens with butler then

24. Daniel Sullivan says:

The Gronk hit was wrong and should be suspended for a game but I just can’t
    warm up to this circus in end zone after a touchdown.

Good win Pats!
    Dan S

• kevin z says:

I love the rb by committee approach keep all back fresh. Would love to get a younger version of d lewis. would help extend the Goat’s Career. I really like Lewis and Burkhead just wish were younger that’s all.

Your forgetting White. Those three have become a nightmare for opposing DCs. Though not a priority a 3rd day RB could be in the cards. I’d suggest a power back for those short yardage plays, like Gillislee was to provide. But if a really dynamic small back was available , well that too.

• kevin z says:

wow did forget white sry james lol. They surely have been, that why want younger ones lol. Could see a later one picked as well, since we have other needs. I just love watching lewis he short but not small. trying find another one lol

Yea, that was a cheep shot. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s suspended a game. Just not against the Steelers please.

• Stephen J says:

What does the Steeler’s game have to do with the determination of what should be done to Gronk and what he did. Nothing shouldn’t even come into consideration it has nothing to do with what Gronk did

From league standpoint, nothing. Just me, would be more comfortable having Gronk out vs Miami then against Pitt.

25. Stephen J says:

Now there has been talk about another small school OT that will be attending the Senior Bowl and his name is Alex Cappa of Humboldt State. Now initially after researching Brandon Parker I was hesitant to check him out but glad I did. Now both have their strength’s and weaknesses but I’m looking to see which fits more to what the Pats look for in a L(OT). Now I am using Nate Solder and Tony Garcia as a guide to what they are looking for. 3 Things stand out Tall Athletic Smart. Tall being the easiest both Garcia and Solder are 6’7″ Athletic can be measured with on field and testing(combine/pro day) and to me Smart is the hardest to determine from an outside perspective without being able to interview and see them test on the field/class setting.
    With that being said at this time of year we don’t have much to go on just what is listed for measurements and the play on the field. Since I outlined Brandon Parker here I will outline Alex Cappa.

Alex is listed as 6’7″ 305 lbs on Humboldt St website but listed as 6’6″ on Draft Scout.
    He is a Redshirt Jr has played 33 games in those 3 seasons. He is a Four Time GNAC Offensive Lineman of the Year and a Multi time All-American.

As you watch his highlights on Hudl he is a man against boys out there. Just throwing people all over the place and not just 260-280 lbs either. He has pancaked so many I lost count. He has textbook cut blocks. The one thing I dislike is that he ends up on the ground more than I like after the blocks/pancakes. Here is his Junior Highlightsl.

Now how is his athleticism here is a video clip he is #71

Pretty impressive to have both power and speed.
    Now while he is raw from a technique point of view he has the Height Weight Speed and Power with some coaching and time to adjust to the higher level of competition he maybe someone of interest.

Very impressive. I like his ability to recognize the DT Looping outside , coming off his defender driving inside and picking up the DT. Shows awareness and quick feet.

26. macspak says:

Mike,

Alvin Kamara – did you scout him last year and produce a report?

27. JH says:

December Mock Draft, mostly the same but a few changes (still have us trading 1st rounder for a second and third):

2nd – SS Kyzir White, West Virginia: Chung replacement, can do everything you want in a SS and can play linebacker in a pinch.

(trade) 2nd – DE Marcus Davenport, UTSA: Only chance he falls this far is if he doesn’t blow everyone away at the Senior Bowl/Combine. I hope Eric Lee continues to play well and if we sign someone like Aaron Lynch in free agency I think we would be pretty set at the position.

2nd – QB Ryan Finley, N.C. State: Only knock I have on him at this point is his lack of passing touchdowns… only has 16 on the year. N.C. State seems to like to give Jaylen Samuels the ball in the red-zone which may be affecting that number, but still only has 6 interceptions (which are mostly Hail Mary’s and miscommunications). I’m excited to watch him in whatever bowl game he plays in, and I hope he declares this year as he shows everything you want in a QB but isn’t considered to be in the top tier.

(trade) 3rd – LB Darius Leonard, South Carolina State: All-around linebacker with great athletic ability, hopefully he doesn’t raise his draft stock too high.

3rd – CB Brandon Facyson, Virginia Tech: We have 2 cornerbacks hitting free agency this year and two more next year, so it might be wise to invest in one on Day 2 of the draft. Facyson is a solid pick here.

4th – OT Brandon Parker, NC A&T: I’m assuming we resign Solder, and in the event we cannot sign Waddle or Fleming we could use some depth. Parker seems to be a fan favorite here on this site and for good reason… he’s a beast.

6th – RB Ryan Nall, Oregon State: He was by far my favorite running back going into this year but since he was a junior I figured he wouldn’t declare. However, I recently read that he is graduating in the winter and Oregon State is going to have its 4th head coach in 4 years. Nall has said he hasn’t made a decision yet and I think he’ll end up transferring to a different school because he had a down year this year and would want to improve his stock. If he ends up declaring for the draft, though, I think he’d be available at this point because of his down year but boy would he be a good pick. Super athletic, fast, extremely powerful (6’2″ 240), can catch out of the backfield and can pass protect. If you don’t believe me, scroll down to his section of this PFF article, which shows how well-rounded he was last season.

7th – DT Folorunso Fatukasi, UConn: I’m hoping we sign someone like Dontari Poe or Sheldon Richardson in free agency, which would give us a solid young group to work with (Brown, Valentine, Guy, Butler). If this happens then I don’t see the point in taking a DT early because it would just take time away from the young guys we already have on the roster. I could see us taking one on Day 3 though, and I’m not sure where Fatukasi is projected to go but from what I’ve read he’s a beast for UConn.

I like your mock JH it has good talent and is well thought out. Davenport is one of my favorites and if he comes down to our 1st I’d grab him right there. But BB has that compulsion to trade down which scares me to death. Anyway nice draft.

28. Stephen J says:

Another QB that I’ve been doing a little more research on since the last QB postings is Mike White.

Here are two types of video breakdowns

1 RSP Boiler Room

2 Game thread vs Middle Tenn

• Stephen J says:

Then there is this about White

WKU QB Mike White has thrown for 5 TDs and 0 INTs in three separate games this season.
      Each of those occasions, 5 different Hilltopper receivers caught the TD passes.
      Per Brad Stephens beat writer for the Hilltoppers.

He spreads the ball around and finds the open man. Sound familiar. Brady like in that regard.

29. Stephen J says:

There has been a small school QB name coming up alot recently. His name is Kyle Lauletta of the Richmond Spiders. He has been invited to the Senior Bowl and accepted. Here is a great article on him.

Some highlights in that article that caught my attention was
    1 His father played QB at NAVY in the 1980’s
    2 He matches the Pats QB criteria 6’3″ 215 lbs accurate over 60% completion rate team captain
    3 Scouting Report Positives to Negatives
    4 Film Breakdown

Now while he is not my favorite he does land on my list to keep an eye on

30. macspak says:

How the hell do you come up with an Eric Lee this late in the season and why was he on the Bills PS?

Echoing what every viewer is asking. The guy was making plays all afternoon. Hope it’s not a one game wonder. The world will be watching.

Good job Mike, Anthony Miller had a great showing in the championship game!!
    Been doing research on DL Harrison Phillips, Stanford. Also watched him in the championship game, very impressive. Sounds like he’s going to declair for the draft. Phillips back ground has a Patriots player type feel, IMP.

• Stephen J says:

I was looking at Harrison Phillips Friday night. Here are some things that I came across some of on twitter which I haven’t confirmed but here we go.

1st NT to have 100+ tackles in NCAA
      DT Harrison Phillips’s 38 run stops leads all draft-eligible DTs (the next closest is 31)
      Also read somewhere where he wants to break the bench press record at the combine
      3 time all state wrestling champion in High School

Here is a bunch of video clip plays.

It would seem with BB’s recent interest in Stanford players and players with a wrestling backgrounds plus production Harrison Phillips would atleast be on BB’s radar if he does declare early

32. macspak says:

A. Jeffrey signs 4 yr contract for $52 to 56M with $27 M guaranteed having all of like 46 receptions this year. (That’s 4 per game) Insane but true. What is Cook’s market?

2 Things that PatsCap mentioned in his tweets recently

1 A 2017 Cooks extension would take up cap space. A 2018 Cooks extension is likely to create cap space.

2 Once again a long term deal turns out to be two-years and let’s see in regards to Alshon Jeffery.

Then there is comparison by Evan Lazar

Jeffery’s 2017 paces: 129 targets, 63 receptions, 901 yards, 10 TD #Eagles

Cooks: 118 targets, 74 receptions, 1,264 yards, 7 TD #Patriots.

So will BB do a long term extension next year with a big signing bonus with the cap spaced out over what ever many years they agree too.

33. Stephen J says:

If anybody is interested here is a link to the Memphis vs UCF game on ESPN3

Memphis QB Riley Ferguson WR Anthony Miller

Starts Now

34. kevin z says:

This davenport looks like a good player. thanks for sharing.
    not a mock draft guy but think should stay away from drafting a CB.
    much better at finding udfa cb’s than drafting them. depending on FA think BB will stick with front seven along with OL in draft. We have plenty CB’s on PS to develop. couple young SAF as well. could be wrong and blowing smoke but think D travis could take over for Chung. he physical likes to hit like chung has size as well.

35. steve earle says:

Slightly different Mock, only slightly.

1) Marcus Davenport DE Small school but freak athlete with huge upside
    2 SF) Duke Ejiorfor DE Yea I’d take two DE’s off the top. Potential for 4 great DE rotating Wow!
    2) Connor Williams OT Some saying he will slide to here?
    Alt. In case he doesn’t: Frank Ragnow C/G Right size, doesn’t allow sacks, great screen blocker.
    3) Brandon Parker OT in case Williams is gone, (Great potential)
    Alt. if we do get Williams above: Beau Benzschawel OG Size & power for run or pass.
    4) Cole Rayes Saf. Has size & speed, good tackler, ball hawk.
    5 Traded
    6) Cody O’Connell OG Some saying to big (6-8 348) for G & will slid down. Doesn’t allow sacks, good run blocker. High value at this place, moves well ?RT.
    Greatest value in rds 1&2.

• Turbo says:

Why would you want to draft any IOL, let alone two?

Only taking 1 OT and 1 IOL until 6th rd. O’Connell is a wild card to me. He’s huge and has been an immovable wall pass blocking at Wash St against high regarded level comp. Also a good run blocker. Thing is I’m reading many scouts think he’s to big and quicker NFL DT’s will go around him. I see him moving well and at 6-8 has the length to possibly move to RT. (Cannon gets inj often) Also not convinced he can’t be a G in NFL so if he is available at our 6th he would be a far great potential value then anyone else I can think of there. Possible critics are right and he will be a bust but hey it’s a 6th so worth the risk. Also he could dominate at Sr. Bowl and be great at combine, who knows?
        Also in my thinking is taking care of Brady is a #1 priority. He has taken far to many hits already this year IMO.

• Turbo says:

Karras and Croston is there for IOL depth. Karras just proved in the last two game that he’s a really good backup. We have Fleming and Waddle as swing tackle and even though both of their contract is expiring after the season, we’re going to re-sign at least one of them i’m sure. Waddle just proved himself against Von Miller, Cameron Wake and Khalil Mack. And we still haven’t seen anything from Antonio Garcia who’s still there waiting to prove himself.

Branch (DT) probably gone, Butler (CB) probably gone and we lack the talent at LB postion. Considering you haven’t adressed any of these poistions, picking 3 OL seems a bit luxury to me.

Crostin and King are unproven rookies neither fills me with great confidence and as you say Waddley and Fleming’s contracts are up at the end of the year., Maybe one or even both get resigned but so what can’t we stand some competition there. And speaking of contracts expiring there is Solder to consider and his pending coming cap hit if he’s resigned. I’ve also no idea what “illness” Garcia has. It’s not an acute problem or he would surly have been back by now so it has to be something chronic, that’s troubling. I like Karris as back up, Andrews and Mason inside and Cannon had a good year last year but the injury bug this year. To me that appears to open three O-line up-grade spots. As I already said O’Connell looks like a G/T prospect. Nothing any of us project at this point is carved in stone but your welcome to decide for yourself but until I get more real information I’ll stick with what I’ve got.

36. EdgeX says:

I didn’t know much about this guy – but I like what I’m hearing. Hopefully the Pat’s will be able to get him in the 2nd or 3rd round? Considering he’s from a small school – I guess I can only hope.

• Mike Gerken says:

As much as we give him grief, Davenport does have a bit of Chandler Jones to him. At this time all those years back, I am not sure anyone saw Jones as a first rounder. His size and athleticism will eventually push him up once everyone gets a good look at him. The small school aspect may push him down some, but he is more polished in some areas than bigger school prospects. How he tests from a strength perspective will be interesting, because the tape shows the athleticism and explosion.

37. Turbo says:

Mock 3.0

1) Sam Hubbard DE
    2a) Carlton Davis CB
    2) Lorenzo Carter DE/OLB
    3) RJ Mcintosh DT
    4) Marvell Tell S
    6) Jack Cichy LB
    7) Rodney Smith RB

• EdgeX says:

I like it just for the first 2 picks alone!

I’m not sure Hubbard gets down to us. I like the guy for sure but?

• Turbo says:

I think Chubb, Key, Ferrell is ahead of him, probably Harold Landry as well. Scouts love Dorance Armstrong (i really don’t) and talking about him as a potential top 20 pick. Davenport could sneak in the 1st round after a strong senior bowl and combine performance. I’m not saying he’s 100% going to be there when we pick, but i wouldn’t be surprised at all.

Agree but Edge guys go early. Hoping Davenport reaches us and BB doesn’t pass on him for later picks. Not high on Armstrong either. I just projected a mock above and think first two picks are really possible. Got a couple of maybe and hopes after.

Good write-up Mike! gap responsibility is a key BB wants which can be learned.

Dec. Mock;
    I have broken down my draft board by position, and have selected my #1 prospect for each position.

1st – S Quin Blanding , Virginia. Blanding is my #1 overall prospect for the Patriots. A strong wrap-up drag down tackler, who’s 4 yr. total is 479. I see Blanding (a team captain) a special teams guy day one. Smart player, who interviews well.
    2nd – (49ers) – DL Maurice Hurst , Michigan Hurst likely will be available here, being 6’2′ 280 lbs. small for a DT, but a good fit as a DE.
    2nd – OL Braden Smith, Auburn A powerful blocker, with very strong quickness playing ROG or ROT. fast feet, strong hand useage.
    3d – LB Micah Kiser, Virginia. Another strong tackler, who could drop some with minor knee issues. VERY smart prospect , who has trouble getting off blocks some times (a team Captain) with avg. speed in coverage.
    4th – Comp.- QB Matt Linehan, Idaho , Smaller school prospect who has grown/improved every yr. of his College career. Watching tape of 15,16,17 easy to see his growth at QB for a losing program to a winning program.
    6th – WR Marcell Ateman, Oklahoma State Nice size at 6’3″ 215 lbs. Mainly an “outside the numbers” receiver. Has shown good hands, but drops some with 4.57 40 yd. speed.

39. steve earle says:

@ Stephen J: To continue our conversation that was interrupted by tech problems. Yes Dorsett’s snaps have increased and now I hope he gets targeted more, we have seen the flashes of what he can do. Don’t know how his target to reception breaks down but that would be the true measure of his effectiveness.
    Really it was unfair of me to bring him into the topic because he was a direct trade,man for man not a draft pick as your original post subject alluded to. I just assumed when you said about one player who could become an impact player for us you were talking about him. Anyway I still have hopes he will become that player as you do too.

• Stephen J says:

As far as true effectiveness goes targets to receptions is only one way to be effective. Another way is does he open up lanes for others due to his speed. Also there is only so many balls that can be caught/carried you have the 3 RB’s, Gronk, Brandin Cooks, Amendola ahead of him on the pecking order so don’t expect a ton of targets/catches just play a role.

40. steve earle says:

Glad your back Mike. Talk about nonstop motors, two little kids are the epitome of the term. It’s great, cherish the times they grow so fast.
    Now Davenport is my favorite for our 1st. Those negatives can be corrected with coaching I believe and just hope he comes down to us. I’m hoping Bill doesn’t trade down if he does. Love to see use draft Davenport #1 and Ejiorfor #2 SF. What a def rush along with Flowers ans Wise we would have.

• Mike Gerken says:

He is the first guy I have watched so far that I would be happy taking in the 1st. Adding him along with the forgotten Derrick Rivers from this past draft and we have a solid group on the outside.

Sure would! Wasn’t Rivers being worked at OLB last spring? Do you think that is his future or will he be a DE? Also can you see Davenport as a hybrid OLB/DE given his speed and explosiveness?

Don’t forget about Keionta Davis as well