Scouting Report: Anthony Miller, WR

NEPD Staff Writer: Mike Gerken

It was another solid win for the Patriots last night. While the Broncos might just be a bad team this year, Denver is a place that the Patriots have had their struggles, so to have a game where Brian Hoyer and Brandon Bolden are running out the clock is a good thing. There are some things that still need to be cleaned up, especially on defense, but for now, lets enjoy the victory and get ready for the Raiders next week in Mexico.

We are in mid November already and it’s weird to think that the college football regular season is almost over. I have been grinding through tape and to be honest, so far I am pretty lukewarm on this class overall. My focus has been on the Seniors, so maybe things will get better once the underclassman declare, but usually by this time I have found “my guy” and it just hasn’t happened yet. Today’s prospect comes close though. In fact, I wasn’t even scouting him. When Jimmy G got traded, I felt it was important to give a serious look at the QB class and it just so happened I started with the Memphis QB Riley Ferguson. I kept noticing that #3 was catching everything and my focus quickly shifted. The notes said “Anthony Miller.” How could I forget about Anthony Miller? Finally, a prospect to get excited about. Here is what I saw that got me so excited.

Name: Anthony Miller (#3)

School: Memphis (rSr.)

Height: 5’11” (unofficial)

Weight: 190 Lbs (unofficial)

Positives:

Miller has been ultra productive for Memphis over the past 4 years and has done so from a couple of different offensive schemes. He has excellent burst and footwork at the snap, making it difficult for defenders to get their hands on him. Miller is also a very good route runner from multiple positions. He excels in the slot and uses his quickness to get open, but runs a good route tree from the outside as well. He has an excellent combination of hands and body control. He makes his Quarterback look good by making difficult catches look easy. He has a rare knack of knowing and using the sideline to his advantage. Miller has above average return ability and should contribute immediately on special teams in the NFL. He is an explosive player who plays much bigger than his actual size. He was a walk on at Memphis and from all accounts, won a scholarship through hard work and dedication to getting better. He is well liked by teammates and is a team leader.

Negatives:

As a Patriots fan, I think we have all seen that guys who do not fit the prototypical WR size requirement can not only play in the NFL, but thrive when put in the right position to do so. However, there are still teams out there that want their Receivers a certain size, so a guy like Miller will not be high on their boards. Miller will benefit from adding some bulk so he can withstand the hits slot receivers tend to take in the NFL. Miller is another guy who fits in the quicker than fast category and shouldn’t be asked to run routes deep down the field. Memphis plays in conference that does not have a ton of NFL talent, so their probably will be an adjustment period to the speed and physicality that the NFL brings.

Overall:

I am a big Anthony Miller fan and I think he would be a great long term plan for the Patriots as their future slot receiver. Like the players before him that have succeeded at that position in New England, he was an afterthought who made a name for himself with hard work and determination and now plays with a chip on his shoulder. The issue will be value vs. need. Right now I think he grades out as a late 1st/early 2nd and that can only go up if he runs faster than expected. Do the Patriots want to use that high of a draft pick on a position that may not be considered a big need? We shall see, but I would have no problem using one on a guy like Miller.

153 Responses to “Scouting Report: Anthony Miller, WR”

1. Stephen J says:

172: R5P34
    TE DALLAS GOEDERT
    SOUTH DAKOTA STATE
    209: R6P30
    QB LOGAN WOODSIDE
    TOLEDO

Wow! I really think Brandon Parker this high is questionable? We just don’t have that much info yet. Lets see how he does at the Sr. Bowl and combine. I also question Ejiorfor as low as you have him. No problem with the names you put up just where.

• Stephen J says:

We shall see how he does at the Senior Bowl but for now he is putting a stamp on where he is playing

LT Brandon Parker has won the @MEACSports Offensive Lineman of the Week award for a seventh time this season. #FCS

• Stephen J says:

Next up the Celebration Bowl Dec 16 Atlanta Ga. NC A&T State are undeafted this year 11-0

Well I have my eye on him too but really want to see his pass blocking skills demonstrated against top level def prospects. If he is half as good at that as he is with run blocking I will agree with you but like the man in the movie said “show me the money” or in this case let him prove it. I hope he can.

I’m also watching LB Darius Leonard 6’2″ 230 lbs. South Carolina, who is one of the more active guys in pass coverage, while still being a strong tackler. He has the look of a SS, with short area quickness, but not a great 40 yd time, 4.72. Big on special teams (Block FG) & tackler.

• JH says:

Also a fan of Darius Leonard… I would think his 40 time would be pretty good based on what I’ve seen of him, what makes you think its bad? I think he can continue to add weight and he’ll look more like a linebacker, but a lot of different teams feature a smaller linebacker these days and Leonard is a perfect example of this new age linebacker type.

• Stephen J says:

FCS All-American SR LB Darius Leonard @SCStateAthletic recorded 10 total tackles including 2.5 sacks & 2.5 TFL in his last college game. He finishes his SR season with 114 total tackles, 8.5 sacks, 12 TFL, 2 INTs, 1 FF, & 1 Defensive TD

Here is a thread of a whole bunch of plays

3. GM-in-Training says:

I guess the college scouting is really kicking into high gear now that there’s so much video available on key players.

As to the Pats’ current state;
    1. I have a gut feeling that the Pats are resting Gillislee, because they don’t really need him in good weather, but will especially need him in the cold 4 of the last 5 games of the season.
    2. Malcom Mitchell is still eligible to return from IR. Rumors are they’re evaluating him this week. I think they will be cautious with him because once he starts practicing again, they’ll only have 3 weeks to activate him. With 4 TE and 3 good receiving backs, they’re getting by without Hogan, let alone Mitchell.
    3. I wonder how their defense will perform in cold weather. Rowe and Gilmore seem dinged up, and it’s harder to stay ding-free in the cold. The DT are also dinged up.
    4. Looking at the rest of their schedule, Pittsburg worries me the most because that game is probably for home field advantage.

Your thinking that Gillislee my be used more as the cold sets in is not unreasonable we’ll have to wait and see. The O-line is doing a much better job of run blocking of late and having a big back pounding opposing secondaries can be a big advantage. Not that we get entirely away from wgat we’re doing now.
      I thing getting Mitchell back has it’s advantages but even when he was healthy he was no Hogan. When/if he comes back who does BB cut to make room?
      Not sure the cold will have much effect on the def unless your thinking of footing on frozen fields. As I recall from my own old experiences the cold didn’t sap our strenth late in games like hot does. Could be wrong.
      Pitts is playing real well and they will be at home. Still Bill has a history of handling them home or away but agree it’s our biggest threat rest of the regular season. I never bet against the Pat’s when home field for the playoffs is on the line.

• Stephen J says:

As far as the Steelers and Bill handling them. Bill and Tom handled Dick LeBkeau’s defense well over the years but Dick LeBeau is now with the Titans and Keith Butler is their defensive coordinator. As for me I’m not concerned with the outcome of the regular season game sure it would be nice to win but I’d rather win the playoff game. If anything we can use that game to make adjustments win or lose in case we meet again in the playoffs.

Point well taken. Win or lose bill will make adjustments but I did find it easier to identify where we had to adjust if we lost. Not that I think losing is better but the mistakes are more obvious.

• Russell says:

I agree with Stephen the Patriots will be careful with play’s and personnel they use against Pittsburgh, knowing they may see them again.
          Pittsburgh could stumble as they play down to their competition, (lost to Bears, Jacksonville).
          Injuries from this point on will be big so they will bare watching.
          I’m hearing WR Mitchell will likely be called off IR towards the play-offs.

Another LOT worth watching is; Joseph Noteboom, 6’5″ 320 lbs, TCU, 5th yr. senior, 4.98 40 yd. wide wing span, 3 yr. Academic Big 12, computer science, and has an undergraduate degree. Moves his feet very well, has good strength but will need to add more, but has the frame. Good hand usage, good run blocker at the second level.

5. Stephen J says:

2 of My Favorite OT’s have accepted their invitations to the Senior Bowl as well

1 Most will know recognize him and thats

2 Has gone pretty much unheard of until now

Well I guess I put Parker on my latest mock just in time. Guy is a brute force run blocking on a team that appears a run first offense. Guy pancakes one after another on his highlights.

• Stephen J says:

For those that don’t know Brandon Parker here is some information on him from Draftanalyst.com

Small School Prospect – Brandon Parker/T/North Carolina A&T: Last year while doing Aggies film work on Tarik Cohen, who’s now making his mark as a rookie in the league, I couldn’t help but notice the mammoth offensive lineman plowing open running lanes on the left side. The more I watched the more I was intrigued and immediately stamped him with a draftable grade. In the early going of the 2017 season, Parker has not disappointed. Measuring 6-foot-7 and 315 pounds with arms that reportedly reach 35 inches, Parker is a dominant force with above average footwork and lateral agility. He’s efficient as a run blocker and pass protector and comes with tremendous upside.

• Stephen J says:

The biggest knock I’ve heard on him so far is this A little raw with hand placement & positioning

• Stephen J says:

This was posted on http://www.ncataggies.com at the beginning of the season

Has never surrendered a sack in his career … Enters his fourth straight season as the Aggies starting left tackle … Has only been called for four penalties in his career … Has played in 35 straight games with 35 straight starts … Was the first Aggie to win MEAC Offensive Lineman of the Year since Qasim Mitchell did it in 2001 … He and Mitchell are the only two linemen in program history to win the honor from the MEAC … Has good speed, good length and plays hard on each down … Has the longest reach on the team at 107 ½ inches … Has gotten stronger and increased his weight during his time at N.C. A&T … Can bench press 225 pounds 20 times in one set … Improved his bench press max from 340 to 360 pounds … Also has a squat max of 510 pounds

• Russell says:

Good find Stephen, watched some tape on OT Parker & like him a lot. Intelligent player, with experience. The question will be were in the draft, but looks like a Patriots type prospect. Nice find !!

6. Stephen J says:

TE Adam Breneman UMass has accepted his Senior Bowl invitation

PFF has him with 57 catch-able targets with ZERO drops

7. Stephen J says:

Dallas Goedert has accepted his Senior Bowl invitation

8. Stephen J says:

Marcus Davenport has accepted his invitation to the Senior Bowl

9. Stephen J says:

Anthony Miller has accepted his invitation to the Senior Bowl

10. Stephen J says:

A Small school guy making big splashes.

Siran Neal #5 DB 6’1″ 205 lbs from Jacksonville St. Has received and accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl.

If you don’t know who he is, you soon will in the off season.

He plays CB/S and special teams. Has played LB.
    Last year he played against LSU with 5 tackles 1.5 TFL’s( 1 TFL can be seen in the clip above)
    Had a 100 yard Kickoff return for a TD that was negated by a flag on the other side of the field during a spring game earlier this year.
    Was voted team captain

11. Stephen J says:

I came across this article last night. It intrigued me.

So today I started watching some DraftBreakdown youtube clips (Miami 2016,Clemson 2017) of Tremaine Edwards Jr of Virginia Tech. When I did Tremaine’s style of play reminded me of Donta Hightower. I saw what the article was talking about. The one thing that the article didn’t mention was an area he could improve on and that is play diagnosis. If he correctly diagnosed more plays correctly he would of been in better positions or nor taken out of plays. Don’t get me wrong he can diagnosis plays its just something he needs improvement on. While only a Jr this year if he decides to come out. He would be on my radar.

Here are his stats from this year

VT has Tremaine Edmund’s listed as 6’5″ 250 lbs
    Patriots have Donta Hightower listed as 6’3″ 265 lbs

Draft Scout has him listed at 6-4 236 ( no big deal) and rated as a 2nd rd rising pick. Another option for us to watch and consider, good work finding him Stephen.

• Stephen J says:

Tremaine has a twin brother Terrell that plays Safety for VT as well. Tremaine will turn 19 on draft day.
        Terrell just had season ending surgery on his shoulder 6 days ago. That may play into his decision to remain another year. I have heard both he has decided to stay another year and that he will declare for the draft. My guess is it may depend on where the commission has him and or both him and his brother ranked as a 1st-2nd round come out anything else stay in. Have to wait and see for now.

12. Stephen J says:

In an article posted by David Flores of Kens5.com

UTSA wasn’t on defensive end Marcus Davenport’s radar when he was a senior at Stevens High School, but his attitude changed when he made a recruiting visit.

UTSA defensive end Marcus Davenport, on why he choose UTSA.

“I didn’t plan none of this, honestly,” Davenport said. “Coming here, the real reason I came is because I met some real good guys on my visit. I was like, I want to be part of this family. The rest just happened to work out because I was surrounded by great people. I feel the older guys laid a foundation for us.

“I remember our shirts said, ‘Leave (A) Legacy.’

Here is his updated stats including last nights

13. Turbo says:

Mock 2.0. Trade our 1st to a mid 2nd and mid 3rd.

2 (SF): Rashaan Evans LB
    2 (trade): DeShon Elliott S
    2 : Lorenzo Carter OLB/DE
    3 (trade): Harrison Phillips DT
    3: Kerryon Johnson RB
    4 (comp): Cedric Wilson WR
    6: Parry Nickerson CB

Another big back in late rds could be Kalen Ballage Arz St. 6-3 230 4.53/40. A Blount type used for short yardage/ red zone. Total yards 2016 was 1005, 536 rushing & 469 receiving with 15 TDs.

14. JH says:

Found an interesting RB prospect… Jordan Chunn out of Troy… 6’1″ 230 power back with surprising speed for his size as well as the ability to catch and block. He’s a 5th year senior and ran for 190+ vs. LSU this year. Only glaring weakness with him is his fumbling issues… has 8 career fumbles on about 600 touches which puts him somewhere around a 75 fumble rate, which is considered bad. He had 2 fumbles vs. LSU. BB obviously doesn’t like running backs who fumble but if this guy is available late on Day 3 I think he’s worth a shot. Fumbling is something that can be coached. Here’s the best video highlights I could find of him.

15. Stephen J says:

Is Anthony Miller making Riley Ferguson look good? How good of a QB would Riley Ferguson be without Anthony Miller?

Right now in the 4th Quarter Riley Ferguson is 19/25 for 303 yards 2 TD’s 1 Int

of which Anthony Miller has 7 catches for 162 yards and 2 TD’s

The other 8 receivers have 12 catches for 141 yards and 0 TD’s

Well the QB must put the ball in the right place after reading the Def and finding the open receiver. It’s up to the receiver to get open and make the catch. So no, I don’t think it’s a case of making the QB look good, both are doing their jobs.

16. Stephen J says:

Here is a 2018 Draft Database that you guys can check out if your interested

17. steve earle says:

Funny how new information can change how, well I, look at my mocks. Thing is I now have two guys I’m very high on and the only way I can see to possibly draft them both is by trading down our 1st for a mid 2nd and 3rd. I know just a couple days ago I wrote that we have plenty of time to look at that kind of thing. Call me fickled but what can I say? Any way I want to run this by everyone to see what you all think.

2 SF) Duke Ejiorfor DE Wake Forest 6-4 270 ( good rush, solid defender)
    2 Td v ) Marcus Davenport DE/OLB 6-6 235/255 ( size and quickness lends to OLB)
    2) Derrick Nnadi DT Fla St. 6-2 304 ( Veta Vea being mocked higher)
    3 Td v) Cody O’Connell OG Wash St. 6-8 348 ( huge OG, great pass blocker, good run blocker)
    3) Josey Jewell ILB Iowa 6-1 236 ( Great vs rub, good drops, hood hands, instinctive)
    4 comp) Coles Rayes Saf. No. Dak. 6-2 215 (ball hawk, strong run support, 4.64/40)
    5 Traded
    6) Brandon Parker OT N.C. A&T 6-6 300 ( run first team, power blocker, develop pass block)
    7 comp) Kalen Ballage RB Arz St. 6-3 230 ( 26 career TD,2016 =536 rush, 469 rec, 15 TD)
    Option on #6 & 7 to use as trade.

Great write up Stephen, thanks. I am salivating at the thought that we could possibly both Ejiorfor and Davenport (see my new mock just below) who has the same skill set, judging from highlights. Add those two to Flowers and Wise Jr and we would have an incredible rotation. The gamed Patricia could work on opposing offenses could set a new standard for NFL defenses.

As I think more on this mock I believe the idea that GM expressed earlier that we should trade our #6 for a future #5 then use that to trade later for a vet player would serve us better. I would also apply that to our #7 comp. The picks down there are no more likely to stick them UDFA’s it seems to me. cudos to GM.

18. Stephen J says:

Here are 2 players I just came across in a tweet

Anthony Winbush, Ball St – 11.5
    Joe Ostman, CMU – 11

19. Stephen J says:

Dallas Goedert is playing today at 3 pm South Dakoda St (8-2) vs South Dakoda (7-3) on ESPN3. Goedert is a Jackrabbit wearing #86

20. Stephen J says:

Marcus Davenport is getting all the attention as he should but one of his teammates just might interest the Pats and his name is Devron Davis. He is 6’0″ 210 lbs. Plays DB both CB/S. Was highly recruited coming out of HS. Ended up being a Juco transfer.

Here is a good write up on him

Good team with a couple good prospects. DE excites me a lot more then a DB at this point. The more highlights I see of Davenport the better I like hin. I wouldn’t be against using our #2 SF to draft him. At least it gives us another option for the position, gotta love that.

QB Matt Linehan career break down;
    2014, 378 att., 58.7 % 11 TD , 18 picks
    2015, 391 att. 63.4% 16 TD, 11 picks
    2016, 415 att. 61.9% 19 TD, 10 picks
    2017 , 9 games, 281 att. 61.6% 16 TD, 4 picks

22. JH says:

Here’s an article that was just recently written about Marcus Davenport, the DE out of UTSA. This guy is an absolute beast. The article mentions that he’s ranked 1st on Pro Football Focus for pass-rushing productivity and 3rd for run-stopping amongst 4-3 DE’s (he’s 3rd overall behind Chubb and Bosa). He’s destined to shoot up draft boards this offseason.

He does sound really good and wonder if he might come down to where we could draft him? I suppose it will depend on how teams factor in level of competition? I believe I read he will be going to one of the post season all star bowls, hoping he gets an invite to the combine so we get a real measure of him. On the other hand it might be better if he doesn’t if you catch my drift?

• JH says:

Totally agree with you. I don’t think there’s any doubt he’ll get a combine invite, but I wouldn’t be too upset if he couldn’t fully perform because of a small injury or something. I think if he does go through the drills other teams are going to become very interested, but at the same time he may get to where we’re picking because of the small school label, as you said.

For some reason Marcus Davenport makes me think of Jamie Collins

See what you mean, similar body type along with quickness. Instincts look good too, I think the question is where could we draft him without reaching?

QB Jeremiah Brisco career stats as of today;
    43 games played, 697 comp. 1209 att. 57.7 % 106 TD’s 29 Inter. 6’3″ 225 lbs.

Draft Scout has him as 7-FA & rising, few other sites include him at all. Your the only reason most of us have ever heard of him. I think he may be worth bringing in. Where is your guess he might be drafted or do you think he will?

• Russell says:

QB Brisco has gotten mixed scouting reports. He is a Brett Farve Type QB, (In my opinion) forcing the ball into tight coverage, at times. With small school guys always tough to estimate about the draft.
        Last yr. I liked Copper Rush as my #1 prospect, & he went undrafted, but is now the Cowboys back-up QB.
        When the Patriots took Garoppolo, my #1 prospect was A.J. McCarron, now back-up in Cinny.
        So still early, I like Brisco, but Woodside, & Linehan interest me as well, for the Patriots. Finley is interesting from a larger school.

Even the pro’s miss more then strike gold with QB’s. I think that may be because of the many intangibles the position requires which are every bit as important as the skills involved. When we get down to small schools the problems only increase so it’s as much art as anything picking a good one.

24. EdgeX says:

Have you guys watched any tape on TE Dallas Goedert?

This info was on an article on the NFL website:

6’5
    270 lbs
    4.65 40 time
    10″ + 1/8th inch hand size
    Athletic
    Explosive
    Soft Hands
    Good Blocker
    Plays with a mean streak

What more could you want in a TE?

25. Stephen J says:

I was reading today that it wouldn’t surprise people that Baker Mayfield may only be 5’10-5’11” and not the 6’1″ that he is listed as. He seems to have what the Pats look for accuracy pocket presence it’s just a matter of height. I think I’ve read that BB likes the taller QB’s which seems to be accurate when you look at the QB’s he has drafted recently but something dawned on me today. Back in 2005 BB brought back Doug Flutie who played in 5 games. He was only 5’10” and 180 lbs. Now sure it may have been a local retirement thing and not as a long term starter but he did use him. So BB may not be totally against Baker Mayfield’s height. If that’s the case and Baker Mayfield does slide and reaches the Pats at the end of the 1st would BB take him. That would also give them that 5th year option in case Brady sticks around longer and goes for another record as the oldest active QB which now belongs to Steve DeBerg who started for the Falcons against the Jets at 44 years and 279 days old.

Never can say never but I think it’s unlikely. Draft Scout has Mayfield rated as a 3rd rd pick though rising. Really hard to see him rising to 1st rd especially if he is found at the combine to be under 6 foot. I have nothing against under 6 foot QB’s, but NFL does.

My initial QB rankings as it stands now after Baker Mansfield it would be

STATS…………….Yards(Career)….TD’s(Career)….Int’s(Career)…..%Comp(Career)
      Logan Woodside..9792…………….87………………19………………..65.5
      Riley Ferguson….6579…………….59……………….17……………….62.1**
      Mike White………10071……………65………………30………………..65.4
      Matt Linehan……10769……………62………………43………………..61.4
      Ryan Finley………6366…………….36………………17………………..61.7

** 2 years for Career

…………………….Height…….Weight
      Logan Woodside..6’2″………..210
      Riley Ferguson….6’4″………..210
      Mike White………6’4″………..225
      Matt Linehan……6’3″………..239
      Ryan Finley……..6’4″………..205

Intially I also had Luke Falk ahead of Logan Woodside due to his stats but as I researched more there were issues such as pocket presence eyeing or locking in on his receiver’s and not progressing through beyond his 2nd and occasionally 3rd receiver.

One other QB I just came across and looking into is Nick Stevens

6’3″…..215 lbs

7925 yards……65 TD’s…..27 Int’s…..62.0% Completion

• Russell says:

QB Woodside is very interesting, watched him a few days ago. He passes the eye test, and could be a steal in the latter rounds.
        I have Mayfield in the 2nd round.
        QB Jeremiah Brisco is my #1 prospect on my board, tho he’s an early 2nd round pick.

• Stephen J says:

Thank You for reminding me Russell that is the other QB I was going to look at. By the way how is football smarts determined. Someone can be book smart or can take tests but still not be football smart.

Jeremiah Briscoe

6’3″ 225 lbs

Yards 10095 TD’s 106 Int’s 29 Completion % 57.7 Career to date

Scouting Report: Jeremiah Briscoe, QB, Sam Houston State

• Russell says:

Football smart is understanding why a play works, and what defensive changes affect the play reguardless of your execution. Pre-reads & play changes, pre-snap, based on your knowledge of what makes a given play successful. Matt Linehan’s dad designs plays at the NFL level, so it would seem likely he understands how /why things work. His higher interception rate may be more from his slower different delivery.

• Russell says:

I think its highly unlikely BB would draft Mayfield. Brady’s time is now so drafting other positions early, seems better for the team & a developmental QB late.
      4th round comp. pick or 6th round as the draft board stands now for the Patriots.
      Woodside
      Linehan
      White
      Finley

26. Stephen J says:

I finally watched some Anthony Miller last night thanks to this post. Very Nice. While watching he reminded me of Steve Smith Sr. Similar style of play and similar attitude. The word that comes to mind is scrappy. Though today I saw a scout having him as his 5th overall WR in this class. Now Steve Smith Sr was drafted in the 3rd round the 74th overall pick. As far as size and weight goes he is the same size as Danny Amendola who the Pats have listed as 5’11 and 190 lbs. Now I will be interested when the combine pro days come and see if he puts up numbers more like Steve Smith Sr or Danny Amendola (who went undrafted). One reason I see him possibly is because we are going to need to replace Amendola Edelman and possibly Cooks after next year due to salary cap. Not to mention Chris Hogan who after this year could be cut/released without any dead money which I don’t expect but the year after that he will be a UFA at the age of 31. So that’s 4 potential spots to fill in the next 2 years by WR’s that would fill a similar role as Anthony Miller.

Watched interesting prospect from Central Michigan, DE/OLB Joe Ostman 6’3″ 253 lbs. VERY quick, High motor, chases plays all over the field, holds his own with 300 lb. O-lineman. Strong tackler, Academic stand out, 3.66 GPA (Marketing), reminds me of last yrs. T.J. Watt collage tape (now with the Steelers), High school State wrestling champion.

Here’s what “I think “” the College QB’s are drafted by;
    Sam Darnold ; returns to school
    Josh Rosen ; N.Y. Giants; 1st round
    Mason Rodolph ; N.Y. Jets ; 1st round
    Josh Allen ; Arizona ; 1st round
    Luke Falk ; Cleveland ; 2nd round
    Jeremiah Brisco ; Pittsburgh ; 2nd round
    Baker Mayfield ; Jacksonville ; 2nd round
    Riley Ferguson ; Baltimore ; 2nd round
    The rest are 3d round or later;
    Lamar Jackson, Chargers
    J.T. Barrett ; Miami
    Matt Linehan ; Patriots ??
    Mike White ; New Orleans
    Kurt Benkurt ??

So your saying we have no chance to draft Rudolph? Oh darn, well I didn’t expect Bill would anyway. Question, what do you see in Linehan that wasn’t in the available highlights of him. Also where I am lacking on QB assessment what should I be looking for when I watch these highlights? Oh, two questions I guess.

• Russell says:

QB Linehan is football smart, student of the game. He understands how/why plays work (Dad is Offense Coor. for the Cowboys.)Played at Idaho when they were 1-10, and now 9+ wins, seen the bad times and worked to improve. You can see his improvement going back two yrs on tape. BB like’s guys who show;
        improvement from 1 yr. to the next.
        Students of the game that understand “why’ things work
        Abilitiy to learn, & any NFL ties that help them with lack of experience
        Linehan is not NFL ready, but is a Brady “type” coming out of college. Watch some tape of Brady in college.

• Russell says:

When watching QB’s, Steve, I watch;
        footwork
        the arc on the ball on deeper throws
        shoulders square & throwing motion
        Ability to move the S on the field (eyes, head)
        Interviews, (Smart, student of the game, etc. )
        Program he’s in, and quality of his WR/TE & O-line play.
        Teams he plays agains’t

Good tips Russell, thank you I’ll look for those things. Heck I was an old O-linemen never got to watch or QB or hear the coaching he got. This might help.

• Russell says:

I was a DB/ KR, when I tried out with the Patriots in 1980. Geno Cappilatti (spelling) Patriots Kicker was the special teams coach, who I worked with that day.

• JH says:

Where do you envision Finley going? I think he’ll come out because this year is his fifth year of college, so he’ll be considered pretty old if he came out this year anyways, but REALLY old if he stays.

I grabbed data from Anthony Miller’s games against “good” opponents (listed below for you to judge). I didn’t set a cap beforehand, I just chose the strongest opponents, which is why it turned out to be nine games.

Games chosen:
    2016- Ole Miss, South Florida, Houston, Temple, Tulsa, WKU
    2017- Houston, UCF, UCLA

It’s a little incomplete, since 2017 is ongoing, but here’s where he’s at so far against tougher competition:

81 catches, 1256 yards, 10 touchdowns over 9 games. Pretty impressive, but note that he did get shut down by UCF this year and Temple last year. Still, looks like he doesn’t back down from competition and he should have a good shot to make it the NFL. This year’s WR class doesn’t have half the depth of last year’s, and I’d be shocked if Miller makes it out of the 4th round. Is he worth a 3rd-rounder? I don’t think so, but trading up in the 4th generally doesn’t cost much and I’d be happy to do so if it means picking up a player as good as Miller is.

• Ryan says:

Clarification on him not being worth a third-rounder: talent-wise, I’d say he belongs at the end of the third, but I think we have bigger day 2 needs this year.

Agree Ryan. We will have a full complement of returning WR’s as I’m sure you know but the Def front and O-line both need reinforcements IMO. I wouldn’t mind a WR or a QB or a Saf after those spots are taken care of just think priority’s must be addressed first.

• Ryan says:

For sure. Miller’s a good player, no doubt, but the need isn’t quite there (slot receiver is still a long-term requirement to think about) and I wouldn’t consider reaching into the third round for Miller.

Nov. Patriots Mock;
    1st,— DT Maurice Hurst, Michigan, 6’2″ 285 lbs.
    2nd, (SF)- OT Chukuma Okorafor, Western Michigan, 6’6″ 330 lbs.
    2nd, —- LB Micah Kiser, Virginia , 6’1″ 240 lbs.
    3d, —- DE Andrew Brown, Virginia , 6′ 4″ 284 lbs.
    4th, (Comp)– QB Matt Linehan , Idaho , 6’2″ 215 lbs.
    6th, — SS Trey Marshall, Florida State, 6′ 215 lbs.

I would like QB Jeremiah Brisco , but he looks like a 2nd rounder and moving up, and the need for others is best for the team. QB Matt Linehan (Dad Cowboys Offensive coordinater) has good looking foot work, arm, & work ethic.
    The Patriots will need about $3 mil. in cap space to sign this group.

Oh yea Russell this is one of your bests, I like it. I like your using picks we currently have ( the 4th comp exception still okay) even though we both expect BB will trade down our 1st. There will be plenty of time for spec on trade downs later. Nice job.

• Russell says:

Thanks Steve, I’ torn between Braden Smith, & Okorafor. Both have VERY quick feet. Oko has played only LOT, and needs work on his hand usage & blocking at the second level. Smith is stronger & has played mostly RG, & RT, has better hand usage, & blocking at the second level. Smith has played agains’t better players at Auburn.
        Smith won’t make it past the second round, where Ok0 will be maybe 3d round limited. However can Smith play LT??

Agree and think which ever of the two it’s a win. Me I’d go with OT because there are still going to be some really good guard prospects down in the 4th early 5th even. Okorafor may need some polishing but is well worth the pick.

• macspak says:

Russell,

I agree with Steve. Something about the priority of positions and the caliber of players projected at each position rings true. We can’t keep trying the fill priority positions of need with late round gambles, which seldom bear fruition. Edelman’s are one in a thousand.

NICE job!

• Mike Gerken says:

Really like the pick of Linehan in the 4th. He is a guy I have targeted for the Patriots as well.

• Russell says:

Linehan is football smart. He has an odd throwing motion, somewhat like Cam Newton. Foot work fairly good, gets shoulders square. As developmental QB he has the tools.

Watched some highlights on Linehan and my impression is mixed, nothing great, nothing terrible. I only see one QB that we can expect to be in our pick ranges that I like and that’s Mason Rudolph and he will likely not get out of the 2nd rd. My question then is will it really be “necessary” to take a QB this draft or should we wait for 2019 draft? If it is necessary shouldn’t we ignore the fact that it will take a high pick to do so, bite the bullet and just do it?

31. Daniel Sullivan says:

Dorsett is very good I have as not as good as Cooks but very good.
    BB should give him a chance to play. Both of them on field together will
    be scary for defenses.

Really hope your right Dan actually I thought he would see more snaps Sunday but I think that was due to game planning ( keeping away from Den CB’s) which worked to perfection. With Hogan still out be looking for his greater involvement down Mexico way.

32. JH says:

Did anyone ever find anything out about DE Marcus Davenport? I mentioned him in the last post, 6’7″ 255 and athletic but not sure if athletic or raw.

33. GM-in-Training says:

My guess on position priority will be
    1st: DT (Penetrator who can rush and also stuff…the next Wilfork)
    2nd (SF): LB (6’3″, 260 fast and smart)
    2nd (Pats): QB (Quick release, good pocket presence)
    3rd: OT (6’7″+, 35″+ arms)
    4th: (goes to Eagles for Rowe)
    6th: Trade for future pick, which gets used in September 2018 for a veteran
    7th: RB who weighs over 225.

I think they need to start developing youth at LB. It takes a couple years to create a green dot guy, and Hightower is likely to have more trouble staying on the field.

I know they need to groom replacements for Branch and Chung. I think one of the Safeties on the PS will be ready to step up at SS. Probably David Jones. Malcom Brown is good, but he’s not as explosive as Wilfork was, and if they could get that at the end of the 1st, I think they’d take it. DT in the 1st tend to work out.

Okay comments, your #1) Vita Vea fits description and has good stats I mocked him at our #2. No telling if he drops to there though. Your #2 SF) sounds great, any name to go with that? our #2) QB? maybe? #3) talent thinning out going down toward bottom of the round. #4 may still get a comp pick? 5 is traded away, and I don’t get #6. Are you trading it or using it? #7) let me suggest Kalen Ballage RB Arz St. 6-3 230 4.53/4.56 forty. Under rated power and good speed.

• GM-in-Training says:

Steve,
        I like your names.
        My expectation is the Pats will trade their 2018 6th for a 2019 5th, which they will trade away in September 2018 for a veteran and maybe a 2019 6th or 7th.

They generally think a veteran they like will have a better chance of contributing than a 6th rounder.

See Marsh, Bademosi, M. Flowers, and others from years past.

No, I don’t have a specific name of a big stud LB who will be available around pick 34-36…just thinking this might be a year to go looking.

Okay got you on that trade, makes good sense now that I understand it. Also I agree on that stud LB just thought you might have had someone in mind I hadn’t heard of. Most of the collage LB’s today seem on the lighter side and the DE’s who would fit the size desired appear on the slower side for LB’s. Have to check out the Davenport kid JH has brought up. Maybe he has a turn of speed that could fit. Let you know when I do.

Quick check on Draft Scout has Davenport listed at 6-6 235 and 4.77/40. Not bad but not great fit. Still worth a look.

34. Daniel Sullivan says:

I have seen Anthony Miller play on TV several times he is very good.

Patriots Mock Draft 2.0
    1 Carlton Davis CB Auburn
    2 Equanimeous St.Brown WR Notre Dame
    2 Andrew Brown DE/DT Virginia
    3 Jarrett Stidham QB Auburn
    4 Ike Boettger OT Iowa
    4 Porter Gustin DE/OLB USC
    6 Tyree Robinson S Oregon
    7 Nick Wilson RB Arizona

To the Red Sox Logan Morrison should be the answer to power bat without giving
    up great young stars that are only get a lot better. He will hit 45 homers in Fenway.

I’ve watched Miller too, interesting prospect. I’m interested in Allen Lazard 6’4″ 225 lbs 4.58 40 yd. as a TE type prospect, as a miss-match. I don’t feel he fast enough at WR.

Lazard at 223# is to light for a TE, he is a WR, big, tall and probably can match up with LB’s if time of 4.58 is right. He is slotted as a 2nd-3rd pick by draft scout so I ask myself has he more value then a DE/ LB or O-line with our 2nd?

• Mike Gerken says:

Oooh, don’t get me started on Lazard. I have a hard time being subjective when it comes to my beloved Cyclone players.
        Excellent hands, excellent body control. NFL size and can make tough contested catches. Smart player who can read defenses and find holes. He is a little rigid in and out of cuts and I think deep speed is an issue. I think where he could be great is from a big slot position. Think Anquon Bolden or Larry Fitzgerald now.

• JH says:

I would love to draft a receiver but I don’t know if its a high need or where they’d fit on the roster next year. Edelman, Mitchell, Hogan, and Cooks will all be signed plus Amendola likely coming back and Dorsett on a cheap contract. I think Dorsett could still become something, many people forget he was a first rounder.

I keep hoping Dorsett will break out but so far not so much. I fear he will be a bust but if so will not cost much to cut.

• JH says:

Agreed. In the event we cut Dorsett I don’t think it’d be a bad idea to draft one.

@JH, Given the WR’s on the roster already, if Dorsett should be released, adding a WR pick would create a crowd so a receiver probably shouldn’t be taken before the 4th rd IMO.

36. GM-in-Training says:

Don’t you like Riley McCarron? He’s a little shorter, a little lighter, very good change of direction, didn’t cost a draft pick and is already on the PS. I agree slot WR need to be closer to 200 pounds to be able to take the impacts.

• Stephen J says:

I do I did a big write up on him during the draft. I was glad to see him land on the Pats practice squad. As far as weight goes Danny Amendola is 190 lbs and Julian Edelman is 200 lbs so that range seems to be the Pats range currently. Wes Welker was 185 lbs.

37. steve earle says:

Sounds really good Mike. Like you I wonder if “need” will come first or not? Even so he sounds like our kind of guy. I’ll be looking him up and thanks for the tip.