New England Patriots vs Detroit Lions Game Thread

NEPD Staff Writer: Mike Gerken

I am hoping to find a way to watch the game live, but I thought it might be nice to have a place to talk about what everyone who does watch the game sees. If I cannot find a live stream, I will be using you to paint me a picture tonight.

25 Responses to “New England Patriots vs Detroit Lions Game Thread”

Patriot scouts need to watch; DE/OLB Darius Jackson 6’2″+ 240 lbs Senior, from Jacksonville state. He looked very quick, with powerful hand use. Moved all over the D very disruptive. Looks like a 1st round pick in 2018, smaller school.

2. GM-In-Training says:

Well, crap.

Ealy had big game potential, and Edelman had every-game potential.

Ealy’s exit improves the chances of Adam Butler and Harvey Langi making it. Versatility is good.

Edelman opens a door for Jacob Hollister and Austin Carr. I’d guess which ever has more special teams and scheme utility gets the nod. I don’t get the feeling Hollister will ever be a blocker, but he might be a mis-match maker. Carr just seems really clutch, and although I’d prefer he be quicker off the blocks, I think he can hide his routes and move suddenly pretty well. I don’t know if he can return kicks, as he timed about two tenths slower in the 40 than you’d like, and kick returns do require top end speed to break away.

• EdgeX says:

I think Harvey Langi was already a lock to make the team based on the quality and depth at the LB position – not to mention DE position. Now with Kony Ealy being released that gives Adam Butler a better chance at sticking.

• macspak says:

I suspect based upon his experience and more familiarity with the system that Lucien is ahead of Carr on any depth chart. Also seems to be more athletic and explosive. Carr would do well to spend a year on the PS and getting stronger etc. I really don’t think the other 31 teams are clamoring for him.

Cooks, Hogan, Amendola and Mitchell, if healthy, don’t leave much room, presently, for the 5th WR.

Agree Lucien likely the better choice over Carr not that Carr doesn’t have potential but my perception is Lucien has more speed and as you say is a year ahead.

• Ryan says:

I honestly have to disagree. As much as I love Lucien, Carr is next up in the slot if Amendola goes down, and he won’t make the p squad. Lucien might have to beat out Mitchell for a spot.

That could be Ryan my perspective is Lucien has a years experience in the system and has equal if not same ability’s as Carr. Don’t know if that counts for anything with coaches JMO.

3. td says:

good bye Ealy!

People wonder why starters like Edelman and Brady are playing preseason games. Scientists that study how the brain works state that it takes 500 rep’s just to develop an electrical pathway between muscles and brain, but takes 3,000-5,000 rep’s to ingrain the movement(s). One can make the case that 11 football players trying to perform plays constitutes a new movement. Now how does BB get 3,000-5,000 rep’s so that players just react instead of thinking? The only place is OTA’s, Training Camp, practice and games. This is why he said the other day he does not know what he has until mid-season. That’s about the sweet spot of the needed amount of rep’s.

Remove starters from preseason and the process just takes longer.

• macspak says:

people who spout that starters shouldn’t play in preseason are ignorant, on many levels. When the hell are they supposed to get the reps to get into game and regular shape and mode? Heard dome idiot today saying once Edelman went down, early in Q1, BB should have immediately sat the other starters. And magically they all would have been ready to go as a TEAM on Sept 7.

4. Daniel Sullivan says:

Butler looks very good fast for a big guy. Kony Ealy I don’t know what the problem is
    but he looks like just what the Patriots need at Defensive End.

• macspak says:

Mental not so much physical though last night I saw nothing physical stand out to me. I suspect he got on BB’s bad list from the get go by being late and/or inattentive. I think he stayed on that list because he couldn’t or wouldn’t get the system; unable to take teaching/coaching.

5. macspak says:

2nd team D has been disappointing all preseason

6. macspak says:

M Butler has not exactly shined this preseason

7. macspak says:

interesting that Richards is seeing so much time – last chance to prove himself?

• EdgeX says:

At the very least he is fighting for a roster spot. Good chance he doesn’t make the team but we shall see.

8. Mike Gerken says:

Worst nightmare scenario. Edelman is hurt. Its a knee. Hopefully not serious. He was grabbing outside of leg

• Daniel Sullivan says:

Hopefully he will be fine and wow Pat’s looking strong tonight!

• macspak says:

hard to say for sure but that doesn’t look like an ACL. More like a muscle. But, we shall see…..

• EdgeX says:

Sadly it looks like Edelman tore his ACL.

If you guys search Patscap twitter feed a couple sport Doctor’s weighing in on the video of Edelman’s leg buckling – 95% chance ACL tear.

Hello Austin Carr and/or Jacob Hollister?

I’d pick Hollister. My gut says he’s the durable clutch type who somehow finds those open spots.

• EdgeX says:

If both Slater and Edelman go on IR I could see the Pat’s keeping both. Austin Carr is the 2016 Big Ten Receiver of the Year. I think with more development time he could turn into something.

The way that knee flexed when he came down on it both hyper-extending and torquing it doesn’t look other then serious damage was done. Hope I’m wrong but don’t think so.

9. Daniel Sullivan says:

Ahmad Brooks ILB 49ers waived today 50 tackles about 6 sacks a year for last six years.
    Look for a free agent Defensive End to be signed be Patriots. I would like to see some more playing time for Caleb Kidder DE, Jason King G Sam Coffin TE.

I live in Massachusetts and if I was the person that won Powerball I would
    give huge amounts of money to those dealing with addiction and Mental Health.
    A new facility that deals with these two causes greatly need help. Maybe this
    new Powerball winner being in the Medical Field will realize that. What a thing to
    do for the people in Massachusetts.

Finally do not think of trading Amendola we loose two banners without his awesome “clutch”
    catches.