53 Man Roster Projection, Vol. 1

NEPD Staff Writer: Mike Gerken

I am bummed. I know injuries are a part of the game and I know that if any team can handle losing a guy like Julian Edelman, it is the Patriots. That being said, this injury hurts on so many levels. First off, despite not being the most physically or athletically gifted player, Edelman is what makes this offense go. He has been Brady’s favorite target for several years now and was the player he looked to whenever the team needed to make a play. Despite the talent this team has on offense, I think they will have struggles that they have not had before. The first point is the most import, two and three are more personal and may border on crazy. That being said, Edelman has become one of my favorite players. It is not solely based on his play on the field, but his personality and work ethic off the field. I try not to put too much stock into pro athletes, because we don’t really know who they are, but Edelman is a guy you can point to and tell your kids “see how this guy has done it and what he has had to overcome. If you put in the work, you can accomplish anything, just like he has.” Finally, Edelman has been a key piece in my ppr dynasty football league that has brought me championships two years in a row. Losing him on my fictional team really hurts you know. This is petty I know, but I own up to it. I am hoping Hogan can fill his shoes both on the field and in my fantasy lineup.

As for the roster projection, I will admit, this is the first time I have done this and kudos to those who do this every year and do multiple versions. Maybe it is more clear cut on less talented teams, but I found this exercise extremely difficult. I enjoyed the process and it does really give you a sense of where the team is strong and where it could use some help. Anyway, here is my feeble attempt at a 53 man roster projection:

OFFENSE:

QB: Tom Brady, Jimmy Garoppolo, Jacoby Brissett

RB: Mike Gillislee, James White, Dion Lewis, Rex Burkhead, Brandon Bolden

FB: James Devlin

WR: Brandin Cooks, Chris Hogan, Malcolm Mitchell, Danny Amendola,

TE: Rob Gronkowski, Dwayne Allen, James O’Shaugnessy

OT: Nate Soldier, Marcus Cannon, Tony Garcia, Cameron Fleming

OG: Joe Thuney, Shaq Mason, Ted Karras

OC: David Andrews

DEFENSE:

DT: Malcom Brown, Alan Branch, Vincent Valentine, Lawrence Guy, Adam Butler

DE: Trey Flowers, Deatrich Wise, Geneo Grissom, player not currently on roster

LB: Dont’a Hightower, Kyle Van Noy, Elandon Roberts, Harvey Langi, Shea McClellin, David Harris

CB: Stephon Gilmore, Malcolm Butler, ERic Rowe, Jonathan Jones, Cyrus Jones

S: Devin McCourty, Patrick Chung, Duron Harmon, Nate Ebner

ST: Stephen Gostkowski, Ryan Allen, Joe Cardona, Matthew Slater, Brandon King

IR- Julian Edelman, Derek Rivers

NFI/PUP: Keionta Davis

Just In: Brandon Bolden, Cyrus Jones, David Harris, Jacoby Brissett, Geneo Grissom, Adam Butler

Just Out: D.J. Foster, Jacob Hollister, Austin Carr, Devin Lucien, Justin Coleman, Kenny Moore

Practice squad:

Austin Carr

Jacob Holister

Kenny Moore

Jamil Douglas

Cole Croston

Josh Augusta

Caleb Kidder

Devin Lucien

Conor McDermott

D.J. Foster

I hate having Cyrus Jones make this team, but Edelman’s injury opens the door for him because of his potential as a punt/kick returner. I also believe a trade or signing will happen before the season to bring in another DE. I want to find a place for Austin Carr, but he doesn’t help out on special teams. I also don’t feel great about Brandon Bolden making this team, but he is a special teams ace and would be a bigger back option should something happen with Gillislee.

Let me know what you all think.

131 Responses to “53 Man Roster Projection, Vol. 1”

1. macspak says:

While roster building for the future is interesting and important the focus now is on this year. Losing Edelman will not be easy to overcome. He is fairly unique in the underneath quick hit routes, is fearless and TB’s go to 3rd down guy. None of the Patriot’s WR’s can duplicate his skill or impact. But, the offense must and will adjust. I expect White and Lewis and even Burkhead to take on that third down clutch slot.

The Patriots and most, if not all, winning S Bowl teams have luck, health and quality on their side. I don’t like the way luck and health has marked us so far. Two top rookies of scant draft resources are gone (Garcia and Rivers) and Edelman is down for the count for this year. (I have every confidence he will successfully return next year due to modern medicine and his work ethic) Let’s hope that bad luck and severe impact injuries are done for the year. But, I can’t help recall and fear the way the Celtics 1987 season began with Walton breaking his foot riding the stationary bicycle. It was downhill from there.

Nervous about tomorrow night. No game in the NFL is a gimmee, especially opening day when the other team is talented and sky high and both teams are somewhat unknowns presently compared to what they will become. KC is a tough team as proven in 2014 and recent playoffs. Can our D and ST stop them? Can our offense so soon and simply overcome Edelman’s loss and can our newest offensive weapons, be weapons? Tomorrow night will tell but I am not taking this game for granted as so many seem to be.

2. Jeff says:

Other than Garapollo, Solder is the one player I’d like to see extended (2-3 years). There won’t be anything available in free agency, and with Garcia taking a redshirt year, there’s really no one on the roster you can trust at left tackle next season. I think the Pats can fill in the roster with draft picks and free agents even if the rest of their free agents depart (Butler, Fleming, Van Noy, Burkhead, Branch, Lewis, Waddle, Amendola, Bademosi, Harris (option), Slater, M. Flowers, Ebner, and Marsh).

I think it’s to early for the conclusions your making just now though they could turn out to be right by the time the season winds down. About Solder, I have no problem extending him unless he seriously declines in his ability’s. If he does and he is replaced in games that player might have a Cannon like, suddenly becoming a good LT, who knows?
      As for Jimmy G, Jimmy wants to start. As long as TB12 is functioning at his high level that is not going to happen in Foxborough. In case you missed it my theory is: Bill tags JG at the end of this year then works a trade for him. Debate is on as to what we might get.

Patriots showed interest in Bears CB Kyle Fuller. A CB M. Butler swap ???

4. EdgeX says:

Well it looks like both Derek Rivers and Antonio Garcia’s season is over.

3 out of our 4 draft picks for this year aren’t even going to be playing.

Off to a really smooth start with this draft class!…lol.

• Yohy says:

I know, very disappointed that can’t contribute this year. They only need to make one play. Like Vincent Valentine in the AFCCG throwing Bell for a loss at the goal line.
      I’m upset with the trades of picks for players and then the release. Ealy and the TE. Plus BB traded down an awful lot to gain picks and they seam to be wasted. The DE from KState that was taken in spot the Pats moved out of in the 3 rd bears watching. I think he could have been a big help this year.

Yea. it’s always that way it seems and yet the Pats are always at or near the top. Every year I have two or three favorites that never get taken by us. Sometimes they do very well others not so well. Just goes to show that the pre-draft hype is flicked.

• Ryan says:

It was torture watching Jordan Willis fall to us, only for Belicheck to trade back.

• Russell says:

More undrafted guys, made the team, than draft choices, at a much reduced cost!!

Not sure that’s a positive thing as we go forward. It creates more roll players but fewer starting caliber. Only one of our draft picks this year will get any experience , two must start over and another is lost on wavers. Certainly not as we hoped things would go.

Patriots have signed Willie Beavers OG/T, age 23 (birthday, Oct. 2nd) who was drafted by Minn. (4th round) to the P-Squad, Player to be cut soon. Beavers is listed as 6’4″+ 320 lbs, with very quick feet, 33 3/4″ arms, and very athletic.

• Russell says:

Patriots cut LB Bates

Name sounds familiar, was he from a small school in mid-west? Suppose I should look him up but if he is who I am thinking of he’s a good prospect to add to the PS. Most of us were expecting a QB, anything on that front?

6. GM-in-Training says:

Ok, so you’ve seen the initial 53 and the initial 10 PS.

Where do you think there’s room for improvement?

Developmental QB on the PS?

Stronger, bigger, faster, longer DE?

They didn’t try to find another tall OT like McDermott for the PS. Maybe they’ll keep an eye out during the season. Maybe they’ll poach a PS if a roster spot opens up. IR for Garcia is no way to develop a future LT. Dunno.

We don’t know what or how bad the injury to Garcia is but he’s not on the return kind so has to be fairly serious. To bad because he can’t work out with the team only rehab. He has to start over next season. Guess he can work on strength where ever it won’t slow area of recovery.

• Russell says:

Patroits sign willie beaves 6’4′ 320 lbs. 33 3/4 ” arms, 103 B-Jump

• Russell says:

beavers is OG/T cut by Minn.

• GM-in-Training says:

My guess is Beavers is an upgrade at practice squad guard. He’s got quick feet, and one could imagine him pulling well. Pats like drafting athletic/shorter OT and making them OG (See Mankins and Thuney). This is that same formula, just done with a rookie FA. Give him some time in the system and he could be a future starter next man up.

• Russell says:

I agree, watched tape on Beavers at Western Michigan, looks good at LOT. Vikings tried him at OG, not sure why they gave-up on him???? Minn. last player cut.

Agree but he’s not a rookie. Was drafted in “16” in 4th rd and played in a few games for Minn last year so he is a year ahead of a rookie. Scar will make him a starter if anyone can. With only 33 1/2 inch arms seems he’s not going to be an OT but who knows. Someone to watch for sure.

Patriots fill last spot on P-Squad;
    WR/KR DeMarcus Ayers, 23, 7th pick by Pittsburg in 2016 draft. Ayers is 5’9″ 185 lbs, from Houston (College) where he was a star kick returner. In 2015 he had 98 receptions, good for 6th in the nation.
    My guess is the Patriots saw a lot of Ayers at Houston when there studying, LB Elandon Roberts, AND the need of a returner.

• macspak says:

but they dropped Kilgo. Still one spot available – for a QB?

I think we were all expecting a QB here but Ayers for returns makes great sense. So Bill still left a spot for that QB. Will it be a rookie or a vet?

So far Patriots P-Squad that cleared waviers;
    RB Foster
    S David Jones
    WR Cody Hollister

9. kevin z says:

kinda stinks carr and moore were both claimed

10. Matt says:

So the Pats brought in Dorset for punt returns. Anyone know how he did as a punt returner for the Colts?

Here is my P-Squad IF AVAILABLE;

QB/WR/KR Keenan Reynolds
    OL Ted Karras
    DL Josh Augusta
    OL Jamil Douglas
    S David Jones
    CB Kenny Moore II
    WR Austin Carr
    RB LeShun Daniels
    LB Ellis Brooks
    WR Devin Lucien

• Russell says:

more cuts the Patriots may show interest in;
      QB Alex Torgerson
      K Jake Elliott
      LB Antwione Williams
      DT David Parry
      TE Gavin Escobar
      OL Greg Pyke
      OL T.J. Clemmigs

• carlo strada says:

TJ clemmings, what happened to the guy? injuries?wasnt he a coveted prospect?, on the other hand, i d gladly kick the tires on Gavin Escobar (at least to guarantee the joker TE position)

Looks like a good list I could live with it. How about McDermitt as an alternate, they said he needed development and under Scar he might become a useful OT after a year on ST?

• Russell says:

Buffalo grabbed OL McDermott, New Orleans grabbed WR Carr, Jags grabbed TE O’Shaughnessy……………

Darn but that’s what happens when we get so many udfa prospects that look so good. Still Bill took the pick of the quality prospects so looks like we’ll be okay.

12. GM-in-Training says:

The initial 53 roster is in. We were of course, all wrong, but not by a ton.

Trading Brisset for Dorset is interesting, in that Brisset wasn’t likely to play and Dorset may be useful as a punt returner. It takes awhile to learn the Pat’s offense, not every WR can, and I’ve not heard any experts assessing Dorset’s chances.

Trading Coleman and a pick for a Seattle DE who can supposedly set the edge, play special teams, and sometimes get sacks is interesting. Versatility is good.

Trading a 2018 pick for M. Flowers, a sometimes LB and full-time ST stud gets us a depth player who is really good at at least one phase of the game, which is more than most.

Trading a late 2019 pick for a Detroit CB who can play ST and sometimes cover receivers is also a step towards versatility. I guess it was good we played Detroit in the preseason this year.

We still have only one backup interior OL player, so the PS will probably need a couple, same as last year.

We don’t have any healthy rookie OT developmental prospects, but if one can be brought up on the PS squad, we might promote them over Waddle by late in the season.

It doesn’t look like anybody is going on IR with designation to return, so I guess it’s good to keep those 2 slots available just in case.

I would expect a QB on the PS now, just to rest arms and imitate opponents’ QB…or maybe not…but who would that be if they pick up a developmental PS QB?

There are a number of physically talented DB we might hope to see on the PS…I’m sure some of them will get snapped up, but there should be a couple availabe. With Ebner, King and Richards on the Roster (for now), I guess we’re not considered thin at Safety, but it feels to me as though we are.

Overall, Kudos to the Pats for working hard to fill out the back end of the Roster. Was any other team as active yesterday?

• Russell says:

Good break-down. A QB that may interest the Patriots for the P-Squad; QB Alex Torgerson. If available, I think WR/RS Keenan Reynolds, will show Patriots interest.

13. macspak says:

do we have more pure ST’s on this team than any other and when is enough, enough?

Gosh you had to ask! Bill just acquired another ST ace Johnson Bademosi CB.

• GM-in-Training says:

I know, right?

I think Bill has discovered a diseconomy in the talent pool. Stud special teamers are cheap, and can be had for 7th round picks. Bill has always believed ST are crucial for advantageous field position.

Your question of how much is enough is really a good one. If your special teams are way better than everyone else’s and they get 5% better, but at a cost of depth somewhere else…where do you hold pat?

14. macspak says:

TJ Ward SS – I know it is not a position of need but you never have enough elite players. Any interest? I think there will be competition for him driving up the price but he was only making $4.5 mill.

Chung, McCourty, Harmon and Ward in the Deep D backfield? Not to shabby! Let’s see what BB thinks?

15. Daniel Sullivan says:

Just going to work but a Patriots trade of one of the running back which they are all very similar
    plus a draft pick to get a good defensive ends would be great. Stay aggresive Patriots.

16. Daniel Sullivan says:

If it’s true awesome trade by Patriots. Brisette to Colts for Dorsett. You mean
    Brady is going to be lining up with 2 of the fastest guys in NFL. Forget the others Cooks and Dorsett will give Patriots new dimension. Great work BB and staff!

• carlo strada says:

this year Pats midgets have evolved: Turbomidgets

• matl78@hotmail.com says:

Do you think the Pats might pick up a decent DE or OT cause there kinda thin at those spots.

I’m sure BB is looking out for any upgrades that could be had. Agree it would be nice to find one of each just have to wait to see.

Now your just being silly (LOL) but yea those two guys mean there is no way defenses can crowd the line. Even without JE there should be more room then ever underneath and we have the TE’s and RB’s to make defenses bleed. Dan this is going to be something to see.

TRADE; Patriots trade QB Brissett to the Colts for WR Phillip Dorsett 24, in the 3yr. of 4yr. deal salary $ 1.1 mil. former 1st round pick.

• macspak says:

I like the trade and if it works out I’ll love the trade. We trade a 3rd round pick 3rd string QB unlikely to see the filed this season for an elite athlete former #1 pick at a position of need due to injuries. If this guy fills the role of 3rd, 4th or 5th WR and can return kick offs and punts (questionable) this could be a great trade.

18. J H TARBORO says:

Trade Jimmy G. to Jacksonville and keep Brissette!

Don’t think that’s going to happen. A couple weeks ago someone was saying Birsssett should be cut for roster space, so it’s all about the short term picture we fans get from the last preseason game. Everything we have heard from BB says JG is going to be with us for the rest of the year. My theory is still that Bill puts a tag on him after the SB then looks for the best deal he can wangle. Many think that should be two 1sts and two 2nds. Don’t know what it will be but he won’t walk free.

• td says:

Not getting 2 firsts and 2 seconds, probably closer to what they got for Matt Cassel. Unlike Cousins, JG does not have 2+ years as above average starter and unlike Goff or Wentz he would not be under control for 5 years at doable cap numbers.

As soon as they tag him at $20+million, his next contract will be starting at that number with guaranteed dollars.

I doubt he’s convinced any team he is worthy of that kind of commitment.

• EdgeX says:

Time will tell. I think Bill Bellichick is playing the odds. Desperation makes teams do a lot of crazy things. And there are a LOT of teams that are going to be looking for a future starting QB by next years draft.

Edge (below) is giving the response in that scenario. Don’t know what we will end up getting, that’s the high end I believe but a 1st plus is at least reasonable.

Guess that should be above.

The Ravens cut Keenan Reynolds, would be a move as a punt, kick , returner???
    This would be a move I would make, along with DE Odighizuwa, who has cleared waivers.

20. Jeff says:

On a minor note, I liked what I saw from RB Daniels yesterday as a practice squad candidate. If we end up making trades at RB or failing to sneak Foster through waivers, I wouldn’t mind seeing him on the PS as a final layer of depth.

Opening day roster, including ideal PS:
    IR: Edelman, Lengle, Cyrus Jones, Rivers, Garcia
    IR (designation to return): McClellin (DE/LB)
    PUP/NFI list: Jelks (OL), Davis (DE)
    QB (3): Brady, Garapollo, Brisset
    OL (8): Solder, Cannon, Waddle, Fleming, Thuney, Mason, Andrews, Karras (PS- McDermott, Croston, and Douglas)
    RB (6!): Gillislee, White, Burkhead, Lewis, Bolden, Foster
    FB (1): Develin
    TE (3): Gronkowski, Allen, O’Shaughnessy (PS- Hollister)
    WR (5): Cooks, Hogan, Amendola, Mitchell, Slater (PS- Carr, Lucien)
    DT (5): Branch, Brown, Guy, Valentine, Butler (PS- Hamilton)
    DE (3): Flowers, Wise Jr., Dwight Freeney (this is a free agent placeholder) (PS- Grissom)
    LB (7): Hightower, Van Noy, Harris, Langi, Roberts, Flowers, King
    CB (5): Butler, Gilmore, Rowe, J. Jones, Coleman (PS- Moore)
    S (4): McCourty, Chung, Harmon, Ebner (PS- Travis)
    ST (3): Gostkowski, Allen Cardona

We’ll need linebackers and maybe DTs like Guy and Butler to help out on the edge, given the shortage of true 4-3 DEs on the roster. Luckily, there are plenty of bodies at those positions to rotate in, and McClellin could come back from his injury to replicate some of what Ninkovich did last year. Looks like pass rush is the biggest potential weakness on this roster. Hopefully, they can bring pressure as a team, even if no individual player gets 10 sacks on his own.

Well, Devin Lucien must’ve heard me saying that he was was coming along slowly and that Carr deserved a roster spot more than he did. At long last, there’s an indication that he could fulfill his potential. He’s making things very hard on the decision-makers at Patriots HQ, and that’s a good thing.

22. steve earle says:

How the heck do we cut Hollister, Carr, Foster, O’Shaughunessy, or Moore? How can we not cut at least three of them? Which three?
    C. Jones headed for the PS so Moore could stick.
    Gronk and Allen have injury history so of the two TE’s? My pick = Hollister. (Just seems to come down with every ball) Wish we could keep both.
    Foster or ? Bolden? Boy oh boy, tough one. I’ll pass on that pick.
    Wild card anybody?

Correction thata should be IR not PS.

• carlo strada says:

Foster or Bolden? Not only we already know what the latter brings to the table, but Foster yought has to account as well… aint a no brainer IMO: Foster

Could be Carlo, tomorrow will tell, if not today. One consideration could be is if BB might be able to trade one of them to a RB needy team. Time is an issue at this point but not out of the question. To bolster your favorite I can say Foster has seemingly made that 2nd year jump over last year so which ever of the two sticks we’re in good shape.

• Jeff says:

I think Foster and O’Shaughnessy are the best bets to contribute immediately. Not sure how high the ceiling is on Carr, so he’s last on my list, and I don’t think Moore or Hollister will be able to recreate what they did in the preseason in regular season games this year – keeping either of those guys would be more with the future in mind, I’d imagine. I like all 3 for the practice squad, though certainly, they could be poached. Hopefully however many Bill loses he is able to gain back with the Patriots reputation as a good franchise and a place where undrafted guys get a real chance to compete for a roster spot.

23. macspak says:

I’m thinking that ridiculous contract the Texans just gave WR Hopkins guarantees Cook is gone after next year. No way BB pays a WR that kind of money.

McDermott earning himself a roster spot – NOT

Right McDermott’s bound for the PS, maybe? He’ll clear wavers but he has a long way to go, I had such high hopes for him. Ah well?

24. macspak says:

Has Cyrus Jones just “earned” his spot on season ending IR? To me that looked more like, based upon his reaction, an ACL than Edleman’s.

Yea, that’s an ACL or an Oscar. My bet is ACL.

• EdgeX says:

I’m not doctor, but to me that looked like another ACL tear.

I think he could use the time on IR to calm down, heal up, and come prepared to play next year. Might be too soon to give up on the kid.

Well he seemed to have made some progress but he still can’t cover. Sense no one is going to touch him he will be back next year though I have little hope he will ever be more then an average kick returner.

25. macspak says:

Other than the interception, and regardless of the poor McDermott block, that was a bad play, Brissett has looked the best I have seen. His balls aren’t sailing but are straight and narrow. Tight spirals thrown at the correct height. He may lock of a spot if this continues. Probably he fixed some mechanical flaw.

26. steve earle says:

Appears Odighizuwa cleared wavers and haven’t heard of any interest yet by BB or anyone. I’m sure Bill must have his eye(s) on a few guys he suspects might become available on Saturday. Still I’m surprised Owa hasn’t created any interest.

27. Turbo says:

I’m still waiting for that Stephen Anthony trade, just like before the draft, to be fair i’m not even sure he’s going to make the 53 roster in NO. Also i’m totally fine going after Cameron Erving, he would be a nice backup piece in the OL and could even start as C.

• carlo strada says:

why would NO get rid of him?

• Turbo says:

He didn’t play last year at all, and he’s injured himself in the pre-season, so i’m not convinced he’s going to stay in NO. Of course i could be totally wrong about this.

Hi Turbo, hey refresh my memory why do we want Stephone Anthony? Some question on injury if he’s okay now I gather?

• Turbo says:

Hey Steve! I don’t know why WE want him, but I want him cause i liked watchng his tapes out of college and the way he played in his rookie season. Also i really don’t like our LB group. Hightower is elit, but he’s also injury prone, Harris is old and slow for me, Roberts can’t cover passes, McClellin was basically a factor only in ST last year, Van Noy was kinda solid.

Basically i want more talent in the LB group. I don’t think that BB is going to trade for him or anything like that, but i still kind of hope for that.

I was reading an article on CSC about the possible Saints cuts and his name was there too:

“The unsolved mystery continues on the known whereabouts of Stephone Anthony. The former first-round pick was having a fairly decent training camp, but then went missing in action after the team’s first preseason against the Browns. Is he hurt? That’d likely be the best guess at this point…”

Before the draft and even now i saw his name as a possible trade candidate/bubble player. And one more thing. The Saints brought in 3 LB ( AJ Klein, Manti Te’o via FA and Anzelone via Draft) so i’m kinda hopeful. 😀

Okay that clears up my questions and agree we need more talent at LB. How did Bill allow the position to deteriorate to this extent? I have not followed this drama in NO and no idea on Anthony’s status. Be worth keeping an eye on it to see what develops. Another DE/LB I’m trying to follow is Samson Ebukam out in SF. Very green but huge upside said to be on the bubble out there. Guess nothing we can do but wait and watch?

Oops correction Ebukam with Rams not 49ers. Sorry!

The browns are trying to move OT/C Cameron Erving. This is a guy I studied a lot in College, who I liked, who could benefit from coach Scar. & the Patriots system. I would trade an Oline Prospect and Or a draft pick, 4th-5th ? Looks like the Patriots 3d may go to Philly in the CB Rowe deal. Erving was a 1st round pick.

• Russell says:

Correction looks like 4th goes to Philly if Rowe plays LESS than 50% of the snaps in 2018.

This is a surprise that Erving is being shopped. He was high on my board too and I’d think would be a great fit just where we need one too. Any idea why Cleveland is giving up on him, was he injured?

The Giants cut DE Owa Odighizuwa . This could be interesting for the Patriots “if” he clears waivers. Odighizuwa is Suspended the first 4 games, (like Ninkovich last yr.) and this could be a plus; time to learn the system, does not count against the 53 man roster , and in the 3yr. of a 4yr. deal (salary this year, $705 K).
    This would be a move I would do, “if” another team does not grab him.

• Ryan says:

Love Odighizuwa and I hope the Pats make a competitive offer. Maybe he can do what Ealy couldn’t.

• EdgeX says:

I wonder what his medicals are….

He could be a Geneo Grissom clone…and look how that has worked out for the Patriot’s so far.

I don’t know, maybe too early to tell – I’m just shooting the breeze here.

I know Mike Gerken loves him! 🙂

Okay, be worth a try, who knows he might work out. Still I wouldn’t look at him as much more then someone to give starters occasional breaks. Plus Bill would still have his options open if a better guy becomes available.

• Mike Gerken says:

I like your thinking here

Patriots trade 7th round pick to the Bengals, for LB Maruis Flowers 6’3″ 245 lbs a 4 year player, and core special teams player all last year for the Bengals. Flowers was a 6th round pick out of Arizona.

• Russell says:

I look for another trade involving a Patriots player today.

• Russell says:

More on Flowers, at his pro-day ran ,4.51 40 yd. (at 236 lbs) 37 1/2″ V.Jump, 32 inch arms, 9 3/4 ” hands. Has played SS in college before moving to LB.

• GM-In-Training says:

So…Flowers is a stud special teamer. Ok. It’s nice to have stud special teamers…except that we already have Slater, Ebner, King, Bolden, and J. Jones that mostly only play special teams. We already have positions like OG, DE and Safety where there’s not enough quality depth. Flowers might be able to cover TE…but apparently he hasn’t been asked to, so we don’t know. He has short arms and is too light to set the edge.

All I’m really saying is, “I wonder how the Pats are changing the back of the roster, since obviously I don’t know.”

I would guess King or Bolden are at risk of not making the team.

Buffalo gives up on Reggie Ragland? to K.C. for a 4th round pick in 2019?? Looks like Buffalo & the Jets are tanking this year. Buffalo 4-12, jets 2-14, Cleveland, 5-11.

32. GM-In-Training says:

Mike, Kudos for doing a 53-man projection. It’s an exercise in frustration, isn’t it?

Your 53-man is pretty sound.

I’m intrigued by this “player not currently on roster” guy, but I couldn’t find any stats on him ;-).

I think your practice squad has already lost Caleb Kidder and needs a safety (Jones or Thompson), because our safeties are not young, and backed up by 99% ST like Ebner.

I keep hoping we can find a better interior lineman for the PS, because with only backup for 3 positions on the 53-man, we’ll really need it.

Hard to believe that we keep 5 running backs and only 4 wide receivers in an NFL where 3-wide sets are much more dominant than 2-back sets. I know, not everything is a numbers game, but I really can’t see this happening. Whether it’ll be a Lucien or Carr that makes it, I don’t know, but I would have to guess Carr based on Lucien’s slow progress and Carr’s ability to be the backup slot receiver. I think that, based on Bolden’s effectiveness on special teams and James White’s MVP-worthy production in the Super Bowl, Dion Lewis’s time here comes to an end.

In another news, I think Kenny Moore beats out Cyrus Jones, and if not Moore then Justin Coleman. They can’t trust Jones in coverage or the return game.

Hope your right about Moore I agree C Jones is still a big risk in my book. “Player to be named later” doesn’t show up on Draft Scout either, LOL . Well five more days til cut downs where we might make a swap or two. Then it’s who got cut that can help us? Sure would like that vet OL and at lease one DE and one LB. My security blanket is being tied into knots.

Been thinking on your observation yesterday about only carrying 4 WR on the 53. It might be that carrying 3 TE or even 4 TE (Less likely) like O’Shaughnessy or Hollister and using them like Bill employed Hernandz could be the plan? Don’t know but it would create those mismatches just in a different way. Just a thought and it would allow him to keep the 5 RBs.

• Ryan says:

You’re right; a guy like Hollister could definitely replace a receiver on the roster. I’ll have to look out for that.

• kevin z says:

Hollister I hope stays. I think he a more mature Julius Thomas, who he’s compared too.
        hope he stays more healthier than Thomas as well lol. created mismatches is key, keeping 3-4 TE is huge with Gronk and Allen’s injury history.

34. GM-In-Training says:

Pats release TE Lengel and DE Kidder.

Lengel was having trouble getting on the field, and I guess they saw what they wanted to see from Kidder, and didn’t even need the body for 2nd or 3rd team reps…or maybe he’s banged up too.

Pats now have at least 3 open spots (I haven’t heard any official word on Edelman).

What will they do with those spots?

Since they’ve still got another 5 days to work with until cut downs…do they grab 3 UDFA pure DE types and work them out? Do they bring in some high-mileage veteran who hasn’t suited up yet this off season?

I don’t think anybody swings a trade right now, because they might get something better for free on Saturday…but if anybody would, it would be the Pats.

• GM-In-Training says:

Kind of adding a thought, I think it’s a certainty now that the Pats will have 2 pure DE’s on their practice squad. They’ll use it for virtual depth, imitating opponents’ players, and with a little luck, someone who can get promoted in the latter half of the season.

• Jeff says:

Reports are they brought in three defensive guys, all who warmed up with the LBs, 2 of whom then went to work with DEs. They’re looking for depth.

35. Jeff says:

If the pats pick up a DE, I’d expect a pure pass-rusher type. With no training camp, they’ll either need someone with experience in their system already, or a designated pass-rusher where they can sort of just pin back their ears and go while they pick up some of the finer points of the defense. Hopefully Wise can stay healthy – so few true DE body types on the roster!

36. steve earle says:

Mike, Meredith WR Chicago down ACL. Is there a chance for trading one of our extra WR’s for a draft pick or something?

• Mike Gerken says:

That is a good observation Steve. The Patriots and Bears have always had a good relationship and I think a phone call would be wise. If the Patriots could get a 6th or maybe a conditional 5th for Lucien, that would be ideal.

37. kevin z says:

Looks pretty spot on, just not sure if Hollister Carr along with Foster make it to PS.
    hope are right though like all 3 players.
    was hoping Bates made it over Roberts, since Langi may make the team
    wish a saf make the PS as well, getting a lil long in the tooth at that spot, except for harmon

38. EdgeX says:

Overall I think very well done. Don’t be too hard on yourself Mike. Remember it’s only a game.

Two other names to watch for PUP/IR placement are Slater and Tony Garcia.

If one or both goes, could open a spot for Austin Carr or Jacob Hollister.

I think Bolden is skating on thin ice at the moment.

The rumor that Slater might retire has legs but not much else. If he was going to I’d think he already would have. No idea about Garcia but if he goes on IR or PUP or something we get very thin at OT again. Not a good thing which means McDermott could stick, who knows? Only slightly not bad news is Ealy got picked up by the J-E-T-S jets jets jets, good for him. They pick up his contract and we are off that hook.
      But the one guy I would prefer to see back onto the roster would be Hollister. I like his toughness and the mis-matches he creates. He’s no Edelman but might cover some of the ground lost in the slot position. Between now and a week from Tuesday things should be real interesting. After that we can start getting serious about our mock draft prospects.

• Mike Gerken says:

Both Slater and Garcia practiced, so there only option now is IR. The nice thing is with the rule change it gives teams the opportunity to bring back 2 players off IR after 8 weeks. With Garcia, I would like him not to go that route because he needs the work to develop. I think he is a healthy scratch all year unless injuries come into play, but if he is put on IR he cannot practice with the team. That would stunt his development in my opinion.

39. steve earle says:

Agree this looks like it to me. I know Grissom and C Jones make it by default, at least at this point. Still hoping Bill gets to bring in two or three much needed additions.

I agree I think BB makes a move for a D-lineman , trade for Valoaga is my thinking. IF BB waits and picks a guy who gets cut, it will be hard to use the new guy much till he gets the system. A trade Monday/Tuesday gives a preseason game and a little more time for the new player to get in the system..

So your think Valoago somehow will be ready to go? How does that work more then any other new guy that might come in? Actually Bill should be looking for an experienced, proven vet who can rotate in and can be effective in sub packages, not someone no one has ever heard of without any proven history. I don’t know that such a vet will become available but am pretty sure Valoago isn’t the answer.

I think Bolden is a lock.
    Because of the loss of Edelman I look for changes in the Offence, I think BB keeps 4 TE’s (Hollister)
    I don’t see how BB can keep QB Brissett he needs the roster spot;. (P-Squad)
    DT Adams is a lock.
    LB Freeney, makes it over Roberts (P-Squad)
    I also don’t see Grissom making it, OC Ferentz makes it, OR another OT (McDermott? )
    If Slater retires, then I keep DB David Jones

• macspak says:

I think Bolden has shown he is too one dimensional. Only can play ST. He just doesn’t cut it as a RB, runner or catcher. I didn’t have him making it before Edleman got hurt and I don’t now since there is that much more emphasis on a 3rd down offensive need, which is where Edelman’s loss really hurts. White and Lewis will become more important 3rd down go to guys. (and maybe Mitchell if he is healthy) Foster may make the team over him. I am with you on Brissette. I just don’t see him having the key talents that make a successful pro QB: recognition, reaction, accuracy – plus no growth from last year to this.

One dimensional or not, and I’m not conceding the point, Bolden is extremely valuable on those ST. I expect your thinking of Foster in that spot however he doesn’t play ST and sense we already have White and Lewis as 3rd down backs Foster becomes redundant. Thus Mikes projection makes the most sense.

42. Jmancuso says:

What about Jordan Richards?

• Mike Gerken says:

Nope, I don’t think he makes it. I have seen very little in preseason to believe he has earned a spot on this team. He does not provide much as a special team guy either, so that hurts his chances.
      He was a bad pick when they made it, and he never exceeded expectations.

*/ ?>