My Top 100 Players In The 2017 NFL Draft

draft

NEPD Staff Writer: Mike Gerken

With the draft just one month away, it is getting down to crunch time. There is still players that need to be evaluated, but I feel really good about my top players for this year’s draft. This is not a Patriots specific list. This is just how I rank the players from a general standpoint. In the final weeks leading up to the draft, I will once again do my Patriots Big Board exercise where I attempt to create my list of player I feel are good fit for the Patriots and give you all some details on those players.  Like the Patriots, I will try and keep my board to around 80 to 100 players. I will also create a horizontal and vertical board based on that list of players. Needless to say, there is still a lot of work to be done over the next few weeks.

Like I said above, I feel really good about this list of players. This does not mean it is set in stone, but there will be no drastic changes moving forward. For this exercise, I try and think in terms of an 8-8 team that can use upgrades at every position. The grades are mostly based of film review, but I do pay attention to a players athletic testing and factor that in as well. I also factor in position scarcity and importance. From there, I try and think in terms of where in the draft I would feel comfortable taking a player. If I get time, I will expand the list to 150 or 200, but don’t hold me to that. So, without further adieu, here is my top 100 players in this years draft.

1. Myles Garrett-easy answer here, great athlete with size and production, even Cleveland can’t screw this up.
  2. Jamal Adams- versatile player who does everything well and is a playmaker, will help any secondary be instantly better.
  3. Jonathan Allen– Disruptive and athletic big who can get after the QB and stuff the run.
  4. Malik Hooker– Rangy playmaker with speed and attitude. Another strong presence in any secondary
  5. Solomon Thomas– versatile player who does everything well from multiple positions. Solid production as a pass rusher and good against the run. Team leader
  6. Marshon Lattimore– speedy player that sticks with any receiver he covered. Playmaker that is still learning and will only get better.
  7. Leonard Fournette– insane size and speed for a RB. Can be a bellcow for a team. Better hands than given credit for.
  8. O.J. Howard-underused in college, he is a great overall talent that can catch and block. Should be a mismatch for defenses on day 1.
  9. Reuben Foster-throwback linebacker that loves to hit. Has good range and movement skills moving forward or back. Team leader.
  10. Mike Williams-NFL ready body with great hands and toughness. High points the ball and makes even the toughest catches look easy.
  11. Corey Davis-size and speed with good hands makes him the other #1 WR in this class.
  12. Ryan Ramcyk– great athlete and size at a position that lacks talent this year.
  13. Christian McCaffrey– do it all RB that could put up insane all purpose yardage in the NFL if he gets into the right system.
  14. Derek Barnett– productive athlete that does everything well. Nonstop motor and elite hand use makes him lethal in both the passing and running game.
  15. John Ross– insane speed to go with good route running and hands. Lacks size, but should put up crazy numbers in the NFL.
  16. Haason Reddick-very versatile player that can play in space or be used as an occasional pass rusher. Showed he is a quick leaner. Best football is ahead of him
  17. David Njoku– crazy athletic with mismatch size. More of a receiving threat, but is young and should develop into a great all around TE.
  18. Taco Charlton– Rare combination of size, speed, and length for a pass rusher. Good bend on the edge. Needs to add strength to hold up against run better. Good motor.
  19. Garett Bolles– great athlete with excellent movement skills and footwork. Lacks experience and strength, but has only scratched the surface of his talent.
  20. Forrest Lamp– Fundamentally sound player that does all the little things right. Will most likely move inside, but will be a top notch starter from day 1.
  21. Jabrill Peppers, S
  22. Marlon Humphrey, CB
  23. Cam Robinson, OT
  24. Zach Cunningham, LB- would be a Patriots target for sure if they had a 1st round pick
  25. Takkarist McKinley, EDGE
  26. Gareon Conley, CB- undervalued because of his teammates.
  27. Charles Harris, EDGE
  28. Malik McDowell, DL- would be higher, but inconsistent motor is an issue
  29. Budda Baker, S
  30. Dalvin Cook, RB- Tape says higher, but off field and medical issues combined with poor testing moves him down. 2nd rounder in my opinion.
  31. Fabian Moreau, CB
  32. Tre’Davious White, CB
  33. T.J. Watt, LB
  34. Evan Engram, TE
  35. Tim Williams, EDGE
  36. Jarrad Davis, LB
  37. Kevin King, CB
  38. Dan Feeney, G
  39. Adoree Jackson, CB
  40. Carl Lawson, EDGE
  41. Curtis Samuel, WR- a true mismatch player with no defined position, but in the right system will be a game changer.
  42. Caleb Brantley, DL
  43. Obi Melifonwu, S
  44. Justin Evans, S
  45. Marcus Williams, S
  46. Joe Mixon, RB- tape and measurables put him in the 1st round, but off field issues will force him down. Will not be on the Patriots radar.
  47. Raekwon McMillan, LB
  48. Carlos Henderson, WR
  49. Cordrea Tankersley, CB
  50. Sidney Jones, CB- Tore his Achilles at his pro day. Will probably sit out a year. Was a first rounder before the injury.
  51. Quincy Wilson, CB/S not as high on him as most, I worry about his ability to turn and run. Made his plays in college coming forward, might be a better safety in the NFL.
  52. Chidobe Awuzie, CB
  53. Zay Jones, WR
  54. Kareem Hunt, RB maybe my favorite player in this draft. Can see him outproducing the other RB’s in this class.
  55. Jordan Willis, EDGE
  56. Pat Elflein, C
  57. Desmond King, CB/S
  58. Alvin Kamara, RB- another guy I am not as high on as most. Don’t see between the Tackle runner, but soft hands make him a good 3rd down, change of pace guy.
  59. Teez Tabor, CB
  60. Adam Shaheen, TE- small school guy with great size and athleticism. Won’t make it to RD 3 in my opinion.
  61. Tyus Bowser, EDGE
  62. Dion Dawkins, OT- some have suggested he move inside, I think he can make it at Tackle
  63. Chris Wormley, DL
  64. Bucky Hodges, TE-only a TE by name, is a big WR.
  65. Taylor Moton, OT
  66. Cooper Kupp, WR
  67. Joe Mathis, EDGE-another binky of mine. Love his ability to convert speed to power. Lack of experience and injuries bring him down this far. Potential is off the charts.
  68. Derek Rivers, EDGE
  69. Antonio Garcia, OT
  70. Montravius Adams, DL
  71. Tarell Basham, EDGE
  72. Chris Godwin, WR
  73. Ryan Anderson, EDGE
  74. Chad Hansen, WR
  75. JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR
  76. Larry Ogunjobi, DL
  77. Jordan Leggett, TE
  78. Josh Jones, S
  79. Ethan Pocic, OL- Played Center in college, but his size suggest he moves outside. If a team thinks he can handle Tackle, then he moves up the board for me.
  80. Taywan Taylor, WR
  81. Ahkello Witherspoon, CB- Size and ability to mirror WR’s make me want to put him much higher. His inability to help in run support and tackle make him drop. One of the best pure cover corners in this draft though.
  82. Vince Biegel, LB
  83. D’onta Foreman, RB- very much like Blount in his running style. Fumbles are a major concern.
  84. Deshone Kizer, QB- 1st QB on the list in a class I do not like very much.
  85. Mitchell Trubisky, QB
  95. Elijah Qualls, DL
  96. Cameron Sutton, CB/S
  97. Jourdan Lewis, CB
  98. Marcus Maye, S
  99. Dawuane Smoot, EDGE
  100. Roderick Johnson, OT

So there it is. Honestly, there is a list of about 15 to 20 more guys that could have easily filled those last 10 spots on the list, that is how closely they graded out. It also shows how much talent teams will be able to chose from even as they hit Day 3 of the draft. I am sure there are going to be plenty of disagreements with this list, and I look forward to reading them. Hopefully this exercise will create a good discussion thought.

117 Responses to “My Top 100 Players In The 2017 NFL Draft”

1. hdpaulie says:

I didn’t expect to see his name on any top 100 lists, but what are your thoughts on Utah’s ED Hunter Dimick? He was 3rd in the nation with 20 TFL and 3rd in sacks with 14.5. Despite those #’s he was a combine snub, and almost never mentioned on any prospect lists. Also curious about Houston LB Steven Taylor. Do you think BB would be interested in either of these players ?

2. C M Dale says:

Very surprised not to see 6’7 DE TANOH KPASSAGNON on the above list after the Villanova edge rusher humiliated Forrest Lamp during the Senior Bowl workouts. Huge wingspan and muscle physique that many people have going in the late 2nd or 3rd rounds.

• J H TARBORO says:

Great call, won’t be surprised if drafted by the Pats, based on our roster and what we like to do on defense, his size and length would be an asset on the interior line as well as an DE.

3. Stephen J says:

I came across a RB that hardly anyone is talking about
    He is the all time leading rusher in the SWAC conference.
    His name is Lennard Tillery of Southern University.
    He is 5’10” 200 lbs
    His pro day is coming up on April 5th. So his times and measurements will tell us more but I’m not really expecting anything outstanding maybe even on the slow side.
    When I watched him there really isn’t anything that wow’s you about his game. Yet he is fun to watch. He reminds me at times of a smaller version of Kareem Hunt. He has this spin move that he uses every now and then. like the ones D-lineman use other than that he just weaves through the traffic and just consistently gains yards.
    Here is a 2016 Highlight video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5NEzFUAjyo
    The one thing I liked about him was that every year he improved from overall yardage to his fumble ratio.
    His Freshman year was the worst he carried the ball 184 times for 784 yards he had 17 receptions for 135 yards and in those 201 touches he had 3 fumbles. I know not a good ratio.

In his Sophmore year he had 209 carries for 1196 yards with 19 receptions for 196 yards and 2 fumbles. So 1 fumble for every 114 touches. Better.

In his Junior year he had 197 rushes for 1221 yards and 19 receptions for 173 yards with 1 fumble. That is 1 fumble for every 216 touches. Now we are talking.

In his senior year he had 247 carries for 1665 yards with 20 receptions for 307 yards with 0 fumbles.

4. Stephen J says:

RB Matt Breida Georgia Southern Pro Day

5’9″

190 lbs

40 4.37

Vert 42″

Broad 11’2″(134′)

Warrants some checking into

There is quite a bunch of these smaller RB’s all with good test numbers and some of them have to get passed over in the draft. Wouldn’t be surprised if more then a couple showed up in camp this year.

• J H TARBORO says:

RB Tarik “The human joystick” Cohen if handcrafted we should bring him to camp as Dion Lewis insurance! He’s younger,faster, shifter, and was at the combine. Bellichick would be smart to bring him in. I don’t trust Dion Lewis to stay healthy all season and he scared the crap out of me when he went down in the Superbowl, late in 4th tar.

• Stephen J says:

He is fun to watch and does a better job at protecting the ball than Foreman but still no where near where BB looks for. Here is a chart that I reference http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2017-nfl-draft-which-running-backs-raise-red-flags-as-potential-fumblers/

Anything from 130-150 would be on the low end or starting point.

Remember BB and the Pats consistently go into draft weekend with the lowest number of players on their board. Now that doesn’t mean he won’t say choose someone under 130-150 range for example because its just one criteria albeit one he places a high value on but the rest of their criteria better be off the charts good.

• Mike Gerken says:

He has to be one of the most fun guys to watch from this years class. He is so small, but he actually handles contact pretty well. I gave him a 5/6 grade, but for the Patriots, I think I will have him later because of the depth the team has with those smaller guys.

• Stephen J says:

Here is what I saw and came across on Breida.
      One thing before I start in regards to his 40 time of 4.37 what is even more amazing is he ran that outside in the pouring rain. So less than ideal conditions.
      His best two season’s by far happened in 2014 and 2015 where he ran for 3093 yards on 374 carries in 25 games with 34 TD’s. He wasn’t used in the passing game all that much though it looked like when they did use him in those wheel routes he did fine. When he went out on those wheel routes he reminded me of Shane Vereen. As a pass protector he seemed to do well no major issues just a few things he can work on. He returned kicks mainly in his freshman year. He is a one trick pony. Explosive and Fast. He isn’t shifty like Dion Lewis. He won’t create his own openings with his speed but if one is created for him he hits it and its over. He isn’t a lateral runner meaning cutting is not his game. He isn’t a power runner. As far as ball protection goes I didn’t find any specific stats though while watching a game the announcer said he protects the ball well and rarely turns it over. The biggest question is what happened to him in 2016 where his production fell off a cliff. The things I came across were they went to more of a passing game and while I was watching a game they mentioned an interview with him where he said the QB(Fabian Upshaw) actually was faster than him and was timed at a sub 4.30 40. I noticed that he(Fabian) had more rushing yardage this year. In the game I was watching in 2016 the QB would take off with the ball when he saw an opening but would shuffle the ball to him(Breida) when there was no opening. I’m guessing that had something to do with it but can’t say for certain.

5. J H TARBORO says:

It’s 2 athletes out of UCF we must consider, WR Rodney Adams 6’1 190lbs. as a slot/outside receiver whom the Pats has as a pro day prospect. He’s a serious late round gem. RB William Stanback 6’0″ 236lbs is a UDFA ” Bruiser” there’s not a lot of tape on him but the little bit I’ve seen,we need to bring this kid to camp! He also has special team value as well. Check these guys out for yourself. I like them both in our system.

• Stephen J says:

I remember hearing and looking at Stanback but don’t remember what I came across or as you said what I didn’t come across due to the amount available on him. Time to revisit that once again. Good pick up.

• Ryan says:

There’s nothing to really hate about Rodney Adams, but I’m not really sure that he sticks out in a pretty deep WR class. He’s still worth a look at the end of the draft, or more likely as a UDFA. Remember, 58 receivers were invited to the combine this year, meaning that some good players will probably fall out of the draft altogether.

• J H TARBORO says:

335 combine athletes out of of a possible 800. I’m aware. Rodney Adams is known to be climbing draft boards, possibly a 6th round pick! Thanks Ryan

• Ryan says:

My point was more that a large number of WRs were invited to the combine: 58 this year compared to just 43 last year. I really hope we pick a few deserving, overlooked UDFAs and let them battle it out for a roster spot, much like we did with the CB position last year.

With all that said, I’d have no complaints if we took Adams in the 6th. I’d say that that’s a good match for his value.

• J H TARBORO says:

Ryan, I totally understand what you are saying and agree we should grab are one of those WRs, but since we already have starters at the position and knowing our history it maybe a late round pick. I feel bad for our last year’s 7th round pick WR Devin Lucien, whom would have made our team last year but they signed Chris Hogan in the off season. Ryan, I understand your position, but Patriot drafts sometimes pissed you off.

• Ryan says:

Now that we have Brandin Cooks, I completely agree: picking a WR before day 3 is a complete waste. Adams is the kind of guy I would want to target late, but I think that there will be other quality receivers available when he is because this class is so deep. That’s why I’m starting to trend towards UDFAs more than anything at the WR position, not because I’m pissed about previous drafts.

6. J H TARBORO says:

Texas pro day: RB D’Onta Foreman 6’1″ 234lbs. down from his 249lbs. playing weight. He ran a pair of 40yds at 4.45s vert 33″ broad 10’00” He impressed scouts with his receiving skills, catching every ball that was thrown his way.

1st words out of BB’s mouth what is his Carry to Fumble ratio. 74 to 1. Next

Just have to look at what happened this year with 2 players

1st Dion Lewis. BB was giving him a long leash at first but it appears that leash was shortened. After 2 or 3 fumbles in one of the games(I believe it was 3 with 2 lost but could have been 2 with 1 lost) he was pulled
      Then Blount look at what he did this year then he fumbled once during the Super Bowl and never saw the field again then that is when White stepped up.

• Russell says:

BB does not like Fumbles, if your a RB who fumbles much, you won’t be in New England long.

7. Stephen J says:

It’s Zay Jones birthday today.

I wouldn’t say he is my binkie because of so many good WR’s but he is one of my favorite WR’s in this class.

So here is a quick breakdown of him by Fran Duffy

The 2 things I would say that I struggle with that keep him from being my binkie is 1 Trouble with seperation. He can cause seperation as shown in the video yet when I watch his film most of his catches seem contested(which he is good at) due to that lack of seperation which I believe is mainly caused by his lack of upper body strength(shown in his bench reps) where DB’s jam him off the line then it takes a little bit for him to build up that good straight line speed. 2 Can he play outside just as good as slot. I’ve seen flashes(teases) that he can just not convinced due to what I just stated above.
    Now the positives I like his athleticism. While not an athletic freak he is an above average athlete. Specifically especially for WR what I look for is not so much just straight line speed but the combination of the 3 cone(which measures hip flexibility and short area acceleration) (below 6.80 is above average)(anything below 6.70 is incredibly good) and shuttle drills (which measure foot speed and lateral change of direction)(20-below 4.10 is above average and anything below 4.0 is incredibly good)(60-below 11.25 is above average below 11.10 is incredibly good) plus the broad jump’s and vertical jumps which measure two different types of explosiveness/burst 1st the vertical(burst upwards say jump balls)(anything above 38 is above average anything above 41 is ridiculous) and the broad (measures lateral burst)(anything above 10’7″ is above average and anything above 11’1″ is ridiculous). Each of these drills gives you an aspect that when linked together paints an overall picture. When you get someone that is above average in those combinations you have an athlete that is more complete or greater skill arsenal to utilize. Zay checks the board for most of these which is what initially excites me. There is nothing more frustrating to me when you see an athlete who is ridiculous in one area say 3 cone and then is average to below average in say the 20 shuttle and the broad/vertical. When you have someone that has a broader range then you have greater opportunities for play making.

Happy Birthday Zay and Good Luck in the Draft

• Ryan says:

Zay Jones, Taywan Taylor, and Carlos Henderson are three of the most interesting WRs to come out recently, IMO. I don’t see us grabbing any of them with the addition of Brandin Cooks, but I’ll be very interested to see how they turn out in the NFL.

8. GM-In-Training says:

How much draft capital will the Pats have this year?

We’ve already hashed on the Cleveland situation, and if something can happen there, I’m guessing it will.

As to the Butler situation, recent statements make it clear the Saints won’t give up their #11 pick, so that might actually increase Butler’s leverage a little bit. By refusing to sign his tender before the draft, Butler prevents the Pats from dealing him for 2017 picks.

If the Pats really want those picks that might have them come up with a “creative” suggestion to Butler’s camp as the draft approaches.

Personally, I’d count it as a win if Butler plays as #2 CB and is his usual above-average-self against medium-sized receivers for the Pats…and I assume garners a 3rd-round compensatory pick in 2019. That only works if Butler feels truly ok with his situation. $3.9M is better than most get, but he has earned more.

The Pats usually move players for a reason, though. So…I think I’d be most comfortable with Butler’s camp finding somebody (probably somebody drafting between #18-29 in the first round who has some cap space) that’s willing to take Butler on.

#18 Tennessee has $38.7M cap available.
    #19 Tampa has $29.8M
    #24 Oakland has $31.3M
    #29 Green Bay has $22M

…and that’s it.

It doesn’t feel like that’s going to happen.

So far, it doesn’t feel like anybody further down the list is going to pony up a package of picks the Pats like and a salary Butler likes.

The only other scenario that comes to mind is a post-draft trade for a player and 2018 picks package, but that doesn’t give the Pats 2017 assets, youth, and control.

Sigh.

• GM-In-Training says:

…or would you think it more likely a team with lots of cap space offers a basket of picks for Butler?

Teams with >$30M cap space right now include;
      Jacksonville
      Indianapolis
      San Francisco
      Cleveland.

Of course, I suppose a team with less space could make a long-term offer without much year-1 hit.

• Russell says:

It would be wise for Green Bay to go get Butler (a known product) instead of drafting (an unknown product) with their 1st pick, #29.

• Stephen J says:

The only thing with Green Bay is they are different then every other team in the league in that they are publicly traded and anything doing with large contracts needs/goes through a certain approval process.

Congratulations GMIT you have spelled out the situation perfectly, far better then I have been able to do, and I agree with you.

• J H TARBORO says:

How are you Stevie E.!

Hey J.H., I’m good how you doing? Haven’t heard from you for little while.

• J H TARBORO says:

I wanted to jump on much sooner, I’ve been busy but great to hear from you.

Glad your back and you brought a couple prospect finds with you too, great. I like this kid William Stanbeck, good size and speed. Prob an UDFA but sounds like someone BB should bring in to see what he’s got.

Watching more Delano Hill tape, very close to Josh Jones and better value in the draft. Over shadowed by Peppers, interviews well, strong tackler, special teams work is a plus. Good looking prospect who could have a Patriots future, behind Chung.

• Turbo says:

Yeah, Delano Hill and Rayshawn Jenkins are the two guy i like for us in the 5th round for a while now. I think both of them would be great pick and potential Chung replacement.

The other guy i really like for us in the 4th is John Johnson.

• Stephen J says:

I like Reyshawn’s athletic measurements but he hasn’t sold me with his on field performance like Delano Hill has. Need to watch more tape.

• Stephen J says:

Just finished watching 3 games focusing in on John Johnson one in 2015 and 2 in 2016. Here is what I noticed. 1st I would say he is more a Devon McCourty safety in both build and play than Chung. 2ndly he improved from 2015 to 2016. That being said he is inconsistent. Meaning I see him make some nice reads and plays then be caught out of position and take terrible angles in other plays.
        Personally I have him further down the board then you. More like a late 5th – 6th round player.

• Stephen J says:

I am with you there Russell. I am aboard that Delano Hill train.

• Russell says:

Yes I’ve been watching tape of both Delano Hill, and Josh Jones. On tape alone Hill grades a little better over-all. Jones is the better athlete.
        Hill has better draft value at 3d-4th round, while Jones looks like 2nd-3d round.
        Watching Jones tape can’t help but see CB Jack Tocho !! Watched a Tocho interview, and he reminds me of Devin McCourty, a very solid prospect again with great draft value at 4th-5th.

10. Stephen J says:

Mike here is your Binkie(Kareem Hunt) being broken down by Fran Duffy

1 min 16 seconds

11. Stephen J says:

Here is a player that I like but don’t really love but he fits the Pats profile in that he takes care of the ball and is a power running back.

Here is a scouting report that I am in agreement with and it contains one of my favorite runs of his.

• Stephen J says:

I include this from NFL.com for one reason mainly is in the report above it says he fumbled 3 times where as in the report for NFL.com it says he’s never fumbled at Oklahoma St in 212 carries. Now from my research I would say he has fumbled but recovered those fumbles or never lost a fumble while at Oklahoma St.

Good size and power and can see why you like that clip. How realistic is he for being picked by BB do you think given all the talent we are seeing in the later rounds of this draft? It looks to me as though there is about a dozen guys that would be nice to bring in just on day three.

• Stephen J says:

I would say he is on their list but not the highest. It all depends on how the draft unfolds will we get more picks which players fall and which one’s go earlier. He may not be the highest on their list but say he falls to undrafted status and the others are taken he then becomes 1st in line. Another thing is they maybe looking to replace Brandon Bolden. Could someone they have on their list that falls to the 7th or undrafted like him be that player or is Glenn Gronkowski slated for that role or is he just competing with who they bring in. Brandon Bolden is a big back so that is who you would be looking for is he big enough and this is where Fumbles may not be as big a concern because that is not going to be their major role it will be special teams and fill in when needed.

12. Stephen J says:

Basham receives a lot of interest from New England

Yes I read that too. He likely is moving up into mid 2nd rd though. Could Pat’s interest signal a coming attempt to make a move to reacquire high rd choice(s)?

13. Stephen J says:

Here is a list of 15 players in today’s Miami Pro Day. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6_JyxDWYAwNIyH.jpg:large

Who stands out to you?

1 Joe Yearby RB James White 2.0 similiar height weight both 5’9″ Yearby 207 White 204 Yearby was 2nd behind Hunt in carries per fumble ratio at 434.0 (1 Fumble)
    20.6% of RB Joe Yearby’s rushes went for 10+ yards

Joe Yearby cont

He is a willing blocker as seen here

• Stephen J says:

2 BB has been looking at Speedy guys that play CB/S that have ST’s possibilities

One of those on that list is Adrian Colbert

He is listed as 6’2″ 205 lbs he ran an official 4.30 2nd 40 today(many had it as 4.25)
      Now I have been looking for his agility times but haven’t come across them
      After 3 years at Texas(Longhorns) he transferred to Miami
      Here is a clip of his Highlights in Miami

Here is the Miami vs Notre Dame Game Highlights

In case your are interested I found plays Adrian Colbert made during the game and highlighted the time frames they took place

Colbert Plays #25

Play 1 0:35-01:07
        Play 2 12:01-12:39
        Play 3 13:40-14:07
        Play 4 15:05-15:32

• Stephen J says:

Player 3 FS Reyshawn Jenkins. From an athletic standpoint his measurements times are similiar to Patrick Chunk

Reyshawn Jenkins………………….Patrick Chung
      6’1″……………………………………5″11
      214……………………………………212
      4.51(40)(combine)………………..4.59
      N/A(3 cone)………………………..7.11
      37″(Vert)…………………………….34″
      128(Broad)………………………….129″
      19(Bench)……………………………25

Jenkins was third on the Hurricanes in tackles in 2016. He is listed as the sixth best free safety in the class of 2017 per CBS Sports. His two interceptions led Miami. He tied with Elder for the lead in the secondary with 4.5 tackles for loss.

What I’m hearing about CB M. Butler, once he signs his offer sheet he will be traded to the Saints for their 2nd #42, & 3d # 103; OR a 3d next yr.

• Mike Gerken says:

I just saw a report that said Peyton said they would not be signing Butler because it would cost them the 11th pick. I know that a trade can be worked out and it sounds like this is the Saints way of saying we will not give up #11.

• Russell says:

YES, I saw that as well. I’m hearing Butler is waiting to see if any teams come forward to offer a contract, before signing his offer sheet. As soon as the offer sheet is signed a trade with New Orleans will get done. Check out my article at footballnation.net.

• Stephen J says:

I also read that Butler is in no hurry to sign his offer until after the draft. If that’s true it sounds like he’d rather play for NE then hit the market as a FA next year and get a bigger payday.

• Russell says:

That’s another possibility Stephen, but he will be playing for $3.9 mil. A trade may give him $8-10 mil. a year, now and not waiting another year. The patriots could always offer him a contract, but I’m projecting a trade.

• Stephen J says:

If he was offered 8-10 million per year already by the Saints I’d believe he would have already signed his offer sheet. Yet he said that after his 2nd meeting with the Saints. Remember that pic he posted in reference to change. Well apparently it wasn’t enough change.

• EdgeX says:

I don’t think the Pat’s are going to do the Saint’s any favors.

Especially with knowing the Pat’s are pushing for the 11th pick.

I have a hard time seeing the Pat’s make the trade you are suggesting.

Trading MB for the #42 and #103 would be doing them a favor.

NOW….

For the #32 pick AND #42. I could see the Pat’s taking up that. Don’t know if it will happen though.

• Turbo says:

Let’s make that #32 and #103 and i’m ok with it.

Any thoughts on Jalen Tabor? His 40 yard at the Gators Pro Day was even worse than at the combine. There is a slight chance he may drop to us at 72.

He could drop to us but would he be the best choice at that point? I see a lot of very good prospects in this range this year.

I can see zero motivation for Pat’s to trade Butler. If N.O. or any other team is unwilling to give up their #1 so be it. Let him play his last contract year for the 3+mil then let BB compete with the rest of the league to sign him long term for 14+/- mil. With him we have the best CB duo in the league and a better then even chance at another SB win. I’m willing at this point to bet Russell a coffee and donut Butler will be on the field for us game 1.

• Russell says:

BB mostly makes a move a year in advance, of losing a player. I doubt they would pay more than $10 mil. next year to keep Butler so that means a 3d round compensatory pick.
        I would love for butler to sign An extension for a friendly number, for 3 years with the Patriots, but it sounds like greed has set in for butler to get $12-14 mil.

• Stephen J says:

I disagree with you there Russell how is it that looking out for your own best interest by getting the most money you can greedy. He never said he was looking for 10-12 million per year. He was offered 6-7 million per year last off-season I believe it was reported and thought he could do better. We don’t know what NO offered but apparently it wasn’t what he was looking for and thought well maybe if no other offers come in my best bet now is free agency next year to get the most I can either from the Pats or someone else. How is that greedy? To me it’s BB knowing the market place and putting in a competitive offer that no one else has been willing to match due to the 1st round tender that is smart business on BB’s part not greed from Butler

I wouldn’t be surprised to see BB and Butler reach a contract agreement in the 10+/- mil range maybe with additional incentives or large guarantee shortly after the draft. If Butler is traded it likely would be just before the draft (messing up all our mocks again) but I really don’t expect that. Bill has 25.2 mil space under the cap right now, per NFLPA/ Pat’s Pulpit, so easily has the room.

• Stephen J says:

As much as we are rooting for Butler his timing for not just Free Agency but even more so Restricted Free Agency is just bad all the way around and is the main reason why he is not being offered as much as he is looking for listen to what Daniel Jeremiah says at the 27-34 second mark
          BB saw that ahead of time sensed/knew what the market would be like when offer was rejected he then later tagged him with 1st round tender. Just smart business running into bad timing for Butler. Will it be better next year who knows. How many teams will be CB needy after this deep class and with a new batch coming out next year.

• Todti says:

Are there any projections for future salary cap? If the salary cap were projected to increase, signing Butler now to a moderate deal would be smart in the future.

• macspak says:

I don’t see a 2 and a 3 as fair compensation for ostensibly a top ten CB but I also didn’t see a 3 or a 4 as fair compensation for Collins or a 2 and a throw in as fair compensation for C Jones. BB’s motivation could be that he doesn’t see Butler as a top 10 CB and/or that he has plateaued, and like Jones, that he can’t or does not want to afford him going forward regardless of the rise in the Cap. Maybe he doesn’t see him as a fit going forward? Maybe he foresees him as inevitably disgruntled thus negatively impacting his production and/or team and locker room morale.

I see paying a 2 and a 3 for Butler as a steal and hope we have not reached the point of no return but all indications are that we have. Why is a whole other story.

Watching more tape on CB Jack Tocho, & moving him up my draft board. He reminds me a little of a bigger CB M. Butler. (6′ 31 5/8″ arms, 1.58 10 yd.) Interviews very well, weight room guy, intelligent.

16. EdgeX says:

Looks like a great list Mike!

I really would like it if the Pat’s could some how draft Obi Melifonwu as a prospect to eventually replace Chung.

When’s that Jimmy G trade going to happen!?

• Mike Gerken says:

I like Obi, but I don’t think he plays the same style as Chung. Although he has great size, he does not play that physical, in the box type of safety.

• EdgeX says:

But you don’t find many good safeties with his measurables.

He’d be ideal for covering the big TE’s that are becoming all the rage who will be even a bigger problem in future with this TE draft class. He’s fast, tall, and has good weight to him. He would definitely be a project. But I’m looking at the upside. Pat’s have been all over him for what it’s worth and they could be forward thinking about this same subject based on shown interest.

• Stephen J says:

Or they could be scouting him in case one of our division rivals selects him.

• Stephen J says:

Yes the Pats scouted him but they have been scouting many Safeties that are taller and athletic he is just one. Sounds like many teams are interested in him Dallas being one in the 1st round. As you say he is a project and even if we had the 32nd pick you don’t pick projects in the first round. Well other teams may but BB and the Pats.

17. Stephen J says:

If you have 40 mins and want to hear some good talk on this years top edge rushers(rounds 1-2) and d-linemen then listen to this some very good points

18. Matt says:

Mock Draft

Jimmy G traded to Cleveland for #12, #33 and 1st rounder next year.

#12 OJ Howard TE
    #33 TJ Watt LB
    #72 Demarcus Walker DE
    #96 Sidney Jones CB
    #131 K. Hunt RB
    #163 D. Tomlinson DT
    #183 I. Rochell DE
    #200 Tackle for depth development
    #239 Gunner Kiel QB (Development)

I like the first 6 though wonder if all of them slide down to where you have them? Half those guys would be at least 3rd’ers I think. But hey, it might go that way and that would be great.

19. macspak says:

Biggest surprise for me – J. Next surprise, having the tackle who’s name I can’t spell so high. Lastly, having Watson as 4th ranked QB.

Nice job. Thanks. Can’t imagine the work you put in. Are you sure you are married with a new young-un??

My Patriot Mock is nearly set I think;

#72- S Josh Jones, Time to look a head and get a Patrick Chung replacement. Richards is a question mark, and Jones is a better all a round player.

#96- DT Dalvin Tomlinson, More depth/youth with a 4 yr. contract over-lapping Brown & Branch. DT is a high injury area, and BB rotates players at this position. ( I would consider Wormley here if available)

#131- LB Eric Wilson, A special teams starter day one, with Mingo gone & Grissom likely gone. A very good looking LB with quickness at 6’2″ 225 lbs.

#163- DE Hunter Dimik 6’3″ 268 runs a 4.69 40yd. With Ninkovich in his final year another strong edge guy will be needed. (38 on the bench)

#183- OT Max Rich, looking for a development prospect, OR- (Wil Holden if available)

#200- CB Jack Tocho, More CB depth, P-Squad, unless he’s an up-grade over Coleman.

#239- Edge/LB Jimmie Gilbert, up-grade over Grissom

#239-

• Stephen J says:

Let’s talk some Josh Jones. I love Josh Jones as you know. Since his Pro Day what has bothered me about him is his horrendous 3 cone(agility) time of 7.43 Man Dion Dawkins the Temple Tackle who is 314 lbs had a better 3 cone of 7.30. I was convincing myself because of his height weight 40 time bench etc would the Patriots over look that and still be interested.

Then Mike Loyko posted this

Some teams are willing to overlook so-so agility if a CB runs a great 40 times, #Patriots willing to overlook so-so 40 if elite agility

That is exactly the opposite of what we have here in Josh Jones. He has a great 40 time etc but a worse than so-so agility time.
      Now he is specifically talking about CB’s there but I also believe that the Patriots would include their Safeties as well. Now why do I say this. Here is why when you go back and look at his film it could explain a lot of his questionable angles and poor tackling at times. Now due to the level of play it wasn’t consistently exposed but in the NFL it will be exposed much more often. That’s why I believe they value the agility drills over speed drills not only for their CB’s but Safeties as well. Now I could be wrong here but that is what I’m thinking/wondering right now in regards to Josh Jones.

• Todti says:

Completely agree with you. Especially since Chung covers a lot of TEs so that McCourty is freed up to do whatever the Patriots want him to. I don’t think the Patriots, or any team, would like to limit themselves schematically, so if they draft a safety to replace Chung down the road he’ll probably have to be able to cover TEs or RBs as well as being a good tackler and generally strong against the run.

• hdpaulie says:

Other than being mocked in the 6th rd by Drafttek, your the only person I’ve seen mention Hunter Dimick. The guys been invisible. Played 4 years and graduated as a 4 time PAC 12 All Academic and a 2016 National All Academic. Has the smarts the Pats like. He was 3rd in nation with 20 TFL, and 3rd in sacks with 14.5. He got the nod over Solomon Thomas as 1st team All PAC 12 DE opposite Takarist Mckiney. Despite all of that, he was a combine snub and you almost never see his name on any prospect lists. Happy to see that someone else likes this guy. Maybe he’s this years version of the player BB drafts and everyone says “who”?

21. Stephen J says:

A Follow up on Eastern Washington’s Samson Ebukam.

In case you don’t remember here is the link I referenced

He had his Pro Day today

6’2″/240lbs, 4.47s forty, 39.5″ vert, 10’10” broad

and his stats for 2016

71 tackles, 9.5 sacks, 14.5 TFL, 2 FF, 1 INT in 2016

Pro Day and Stats provided by Jared Stanger who says he is basically Bobby Wagner as more of an OTTO

22. Stephen J says:

My 3 CB/S I like better than Jonathan Ford in no particular order

C Delano Hill Michigan A tackling machine plus has the matching size and athletic numbers the Pats look for

CB Brandon Wilson Houston. The dude can play both CB/S can return punts and kicks plus the speed and athleticism to back that up

CB Xavier Coleman of Portland State. Why him here is why. Lets start with his pro day highlights Vert 40″ ; 4.13 short shuttle; 3 cone 6.86 ok he’s athletic does it translate to the field of play plus he a small school player can he play against top tier athletes my answer is yes here is why John Ross’ season low receiving game was 1×10 vs Xavier Coleman and Portland State

23. Stephen J says:

This From Mike Loyko

I’m told Davenport impressed, Scarnecchia with his intelligence, especially his work on the white board and tape breakdown

I like Davenport my question is for a developmental backup how high would they take him in other words what is his value vs what is his value to others it seems to me that there is a lot of interest in him which will push him up higher on draft boards where he would be a reach and not a value pick. Another way of saying that is some would be drafting him as a swing Tackle a backup/replacement for their starting Tackle and not as a developmental Tackle.

24. Stephen J says:

HC Hue Jackson says he’ll exhaust every opportunity to get “his” QB, then goes on to say he won’t trade the No. 1 overall pick for a QB.

Would he trade the No. 1 overall pick for “his” QB instead of a QB

• macspak says:

more importantly, will he trade a 1st round pick, plus more, for his QB? Namely, pick #12?

• Stephen J says:

Or is Hugh Jackson’s QB not a QB but a Pass Rusher and that’s why he says his QB. His QB is a Defensive QB not an Offensive QB

25. Stephen J says:

Josh Norris’ Mock Draft for the Patriots

Round 3 (72): CB Howard Wilson, Houston – The Patriots prioritize agility, namely 3-cone, results when evaluating corners. Wilson only tested in the 27th percentile, but his short shuttle time of 3.94 seconds and 3-cone time of 6.68 seconds were outstanding. If you eliminate Wilson’s game against Tulane, his season was outstanding.

Round 3 (96): EDGE Trey Hendrickson, FAU – Hendrickson followed up a quality week of practice at the East-West Shrine with a wonderful NFL Combine workout, testing in the 89th percentile. His last two seasons at FAU were impressive, specifically as a pass rusher and not a run defender… which is uncommon out of college.

Round 4 (131): LB Harvey Langi, BYU – Langi will be 25 years old in September. Apparently the Patriots would have selected him in round one in last year’s draft. I won’t argue with that. Obviously the Patriots paid Donta Hightower, but the rest of their linebacker group is a question mark.

Round 5 (163): RB James Conner, Pitt – I love Rex Burkhead. Love him. Think of Conner as a short yardage role player to fulfill that element of LeGarrette Blount’s game. Conner displays balance and aggression to create space and convert those difficult plays.

Round 5 (183): TE George Kittle, Iowa – Kittle is a tremendous athlete and might be the best blocking tight end in this class. Possessing an obvious area where he wins, with a possible athletic ceiling in others, would allow Kittle to see the field early.

Round 6 (200): S/CB Johnathan Ford, Auburn – The Patriots could be looking for a corner/safety hybrid who can play the slot. Ford has experience in that area, which is difficult to find from a collegiate prospect.

Round 7 (239): T Jylan Ware, Alabama State – A project tackle, in a class shallow in third day tackles. The team could target a tackle early if they land a first round pick, since Nate Solder’s contract ends after the 2017 season.

• Turbo says:

No thank you. Aside from the Kittle and maybe the Ford pick i don’t really like this.

• Stephen J says:

I’ve looked at all these players except Ware and here are my thoughts.

Howard Wilson; The 1st thing that drew me to him was his 3 cone and 20 shuttle great times for a nickel/slot corner. Then I looked at his tape. Considering what I was hearing(more negative) and the silence I was actually liked what I saw. He was decent but from what I was seeing he didn’t appear to be that slot/nickel corner. Now that could be me and my untrained eye as well as limited game tape(2). As an update from last night from his Pro Day he was advised to not do drills due to the injuries that have occurred already at Pro Days so his draft stock is not hurt.

Trey Hendrickson; I actually like him with the exception of 2 things. I would have him with either one of the next two picks and I would be looking at him as that Jamie Collins LB roll instead of Edge.

LB Harvey Langi; Sorry but I just don’t see it with him at LB. From the games I watched he was like a mad man/chicken running around with his head cut off.(Being involved in plays but not the one making the play) But liked him more at RB with the limited amount of tape in that position

RB James Conner: Love his story He fits that LeGarrette Blount size mold and about where I was looking to select him. The one thing that I didn’t love was his carry to fumble ratio. Although its not horrendous just a tad bit under 100:1 it does give me some reservations.

TE George Kittle: This is one of those that I fell in love with the athleticism and concept but then they didn’t match up. He is known for his blocking ability but then because of his size his inline blocking isn’t the best when compared to others in this class. Well if I wanted him for his blocking more than catching well I was disapointed when I watched his tape. I saw his athleticism but not that superior blocking. Don’t get me wrong his overall blocking was ok just not that much better than the others and his catching/route running was average.

S/CB Jonathan Ford: He is one of the Safeties that I like and don’t mind. He is a decent S and has special teams k/r ability. Since seeing him though I have 3 others that I like better so it will depend on how the board plays out.

T Jaylan Ware: I can’t speak about him since I haven’t looked at him. The one Tackle that I’ve come to like as a developmental Tackle is Harvard’s Max Rich. He is not being talked about so he still has value, has the physical tools just needs to develop/work on his lower body strength and on his technique as well as have the time to learn the position better. With Soldier still under contract and Dante Scarnecchia still around seems like the perfect situation to me for him to accomplish that.

• Stephen J says:

In regards to Trey Hendrickson he is not my first choice for that position just one of the backups/next in line players

• Russell says:

Not a fan of this Mock, a lot of smaller school guys, which is OK, but not likely. The Patriots mock draft will be very difficult, given the late-ness of the Picks,/ prospect availability.

26. Stephen J says:

This is going to be one wild draft. I’ve never seen so much love/hate on players from the so called draft experts. I have this guy as my #1 then another expert doesn’t even have him in his top 10 at least a dozen players I’ve seen like that (usually its 3-4) and that’s no even including the one’s that have fallen due to injury. Add to that this weak QB class. All I can say is it’s going to be fun watching how this all plays out.

27. Stephen J says:

Really Mike

Common Now

How am I suppose to take you seriously now

No QB’s until 84.

LOVE IT

And I thought I was being hard on them by not selecting any of them until at least the 2nd. You called me and then raised me one more full round.

• Mike Gerken says:

Yeah, I know the QB’s are going to go earlier, but I just cannot get on board with any of them and feel good about it. None of the “big 4” should even sniff the field year 1, and after that it will be which one or two of them can adjust to the speed and complexity of the game. I can’t get on board with a first round pick for any of them. The end of the 2nd I start to feel better about it, but even then….

28. Todti says:

Great list, thanks Mike! What’s your opinion on Jake Butt (pre-injury)? The acquisition of Allen, and essential swap with Bennett, puts the Patriots’ in a tough spot in my mind. I’m not sure how reliable Gronk is going forward and since Allen is a different kind of TE, I think the Patriots have to get a TE that is stylistically similar to Gronk so they don’t have to adjust the scheme when Gronk misses a game. Shaheen would be the obvious solution here, but he’s out of range now. I like Butt and Kittle, but Kittle is probably too small to block in-line. Butt has a limited ceiling in my mind but he’s still the closest to that TE I think the Patriots need.
    I don’t have a problem with Allen per se, I actually like him as a player, but the best-case scenario would have been: giving Bennett the contract he got in Green Bay and draft Kittle to play the Allen role. That would combine the plan the Patriots had for last season with likely the best back-up for Gronk in the game and a young, versatile TE who can be that H-Back type.

• Mike Gerken says:

Butt fell right into that category of names I could have replaced the final 10 with. Pre injury, he had a high floor and a lower ceiling. Before getting hurt, you could see his game translate to the NFL right away. He does not wow you with athleticism like some of the others in this class, but he is a very good all around player. Even though he ranked outside my top 100, I still have a mid 3rd round grade on him.

Nice job Mike, I like the list of prospects, not so sure about the numbers on some guys.
    S-Evans #44 & S- Josh Jones # 78 ?
    DT- M. Adams #70 & DT Tomlinson #91 ?
    I’m not high on DT Brantley #42 , Tomlinson & Wormley & Adams, rate higher on my board.
    It’s very hard to compare, as it’s not always apples & apples.
    BUT
    If the Patriots could get S- Josh Jones at #72 and DT Tominson at #96, that would be great!!

• Mike Gerken says:

For me, Brantley brings more to the table from a pass rush standpoint. Wormley is solid overall and a personal favorite of mine, but not a great pass rusher and probably maxed out from that standpoint. Tomlinson is your big run stuffer with a little upside from a disruption stanpoint. I run hot and cold on Adams, just like he did on the field (see what I did there)
      I will be the first to admit, and I have in the past, I struggle with safety. I find it a very difficult position to scout, so I will fully admit that I could be off on my assessment of the safeties.

• Todti says:

I think Wormley is a safe Patriots pick exactly because of what he is. Base end with some potential inside on obvious passing downs and a high-character guy. Exactly what Belichick wants from his ends.

Regarding the safeties, I love how, every time they talk about safeties on the MMQB 10 Things Podcast, Andy Benoit says that it’s so hard to evaluate because of the limited action and lack of presence on tape.

Nice pun. I like Tomlinson but I just don’t see a spot for another DT on the roster, especially another run-stuffing one. Contracts at that position run for at least two more seasons, and Brown and Valentine are likely here in 2019. So, I see them draft another DT high next season at the earliest.

*/ ?>