Combine Chat: Defensive Line and Linebackers

NEPD Staff Writer: Mike Gerken

No football, no problem. We have Day 3 of on field drills today, and this is a group that Patriots really need to pay attention to. The Patriots need help along the front 7, so multiple players working out today could be Patriots come draft day. I am still trying to catch up on yesterday’s group, but am really looking forward to watching this group as well.

47 Responses to “Combine Chat: Defensive Line and Linebackers”

1. If you would like to grow your know-how simply keep visiting this
    site and be updated with the latest news update posted here.

2. bnstruck2 says:

After comparing their combine numbers TJ Watt looks similar to Hightower. Does anyone think that TJ Watt could replace Hightower if he isn’t resigned? Maybe not in year one, but down the road. It took Hightower a few years to blossom into the player he is now.

3. Stephen J says:

This from Doug Kyed

Top DE fits for the NE Patriots

4. Stephen J says:

Ok all I came across some interesting info on WR Robert Davis that I posted in yesterdays Combine Chat QB’s TE’s and WR’s under Ryans reply have a look.

5. Jeff says:

Any reactions to Hasson Reddick?

4.52 40-yard dash, 36.5 vertical jump, 133-inch broad jump, 7.01 3-cone time.

Smaller guy, but those are some really good numbers to back up what he was able to do at the senior bowl. Intriguing as a guy to pair with Hightower (please re-sign him!), especially with Van Noy, McClellin, and Roberts available to ease him in as he learns the system during his rookie season.

• Glenn says:

I watched some tape from this guy because I was told how fast he was. I watched him against ND in 2015 and USF in 2016, He was invisible in both. He did end up making a couple tackles for losses, but he either unblocked or there was very good coverage in the secondary. He is a sick athlete, but never seems to make plays. Give me McMillan everyday.

6. Stephen J says:

For those that are interested

WR Sparq Scores 2017 post wr combine

7. Stephen J says:

How about Rob Ninkovich’s combine stats

6’2″ 260

3 cone 6.96

20 yard shuttle 4.18

60 yard shuttle 11.33

Broad Jump 116 inches 9’8″

8. macspak says:

One of these days, if I have the time, I am going to count up all the players the pundits etc. have rated as 1st round picks and list them here. I’m pretty sure right now its in the mid 40’s but I am not sure, and doubt, those 40 something are valid 1st rounder selections. I guess if nothing else it points to the depth of this draft.

Pundits are wrong about 1/3 of the time. When someone really looks at how many kids get drafted and don’t last two years and how many UDFA make and impact on one team or another it just makes those “experts” look silly. Go figure!

9. Stephen J says:

An update on another Edge Player that we talked about and was at the combine but didn’t do any of the events except the Bench 24 reps is Joe Mathis 6’2″ 266

Seems to be becoming more and more frequent we see DNP beside prospects names. Kind of a bumber.

• Stephen J says:

Bummer for fans who want everything right now (Yes I include myself in this). Like it’s a bummer that we have to wait until Apr 27th for the draft to get here. But put yourself in his shoe’s he just got cleared medically to start training 3 weeks ago that puts him how many weeks behind those that have trained for the combine 6-7 weeks maybe 4-5 for those who competed in bowl games/championship game. So yeah I would want to put out the best I can when I could to get drafted the highest I could.
        The Huskies Pro Day is set for March 11th so we won’t have to even wait a week. That’s next Saturday.

Jordon Willis 6′ 4″ 255 lbs, 33 1/2′ arms, was one of todays big winners hands down;
    4.53 40 yd. 24 bench, 39″ vertical, 6.85 3-cone, 4.28 Shuttle
    EDGE rusher/ LB has all the tools.
    Likely moves to top of the 2nd or late 1st round. The guys tape is good, and he interviews well. Team captain, intelligent prospect

Good news, kind of, as I had him as my 3b mock pick last time. Moving him up, just have to decide where, maybe to our 2nd?

• EdgeX says:

Yeah I really like him.

I was hoping the Pat’s could get him in the 3rd round – chances of that seem slim now.

Wouldn’t be shocked if Pat’s tried to trade down from their #32 pick to get more picks and some how pick up Jordan Willis along the way.

With the quality and depth of players coming out this year I’m betting BB wants more picks in this draft.

That could be the way it comes about if Bill doesn’t like the options at #32. I like the talent that will be in that range too so a couple 2nds and 3rds could yield some really good players.

• Stephen J says:

This from Mike Loyko

Jordan Willis 10 Yard – 1.54
      Irvin – 1.54
      Mingo – 1.55
      Clowney – 1.56
      Ansah – 1.56

• Stephen J says:

I was just comparing him to Jamie Collins and his combine numbers

6’3″ 250 Arms 33 3/4

4.64 40

19 Bench

41.5 Verticle

139 inch Broad (11 ft 7 inch)

3 cone 7.10

60 yard shuttle 11.55

11. Turbo says:

Any thoughts on Marquel Lee? He seemed okay in the drills, unfortunately he didn’t run the 40 yard. He has the size and he was quiet productive last last season.

McMillan and Bowser looked amazing out there.

12. Jeff says:

I like the combine numbers for Daeshon Hall and Tarrel Basham – both big guys with long arms, with Hall especially showing some athleticism. Will Hall move up draft boards?

13. Matt says:

Hey guys did anyone hear more about the Pats and Hightower? Last I did hear was both sides are talking. Don’t know how close they are to working out a deal though. I hope the are able to workout a deal.

Jordan Willis runs a 4.53 40 yd. at 6’4″ 255 lbs. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Brian says:

Also managed a very impressive 3 cone time. His numbers would have been acceptable for a wide receiver. On top of that he was a team captain and was highly praised from his coach at Kansas state. I think he may become our target at 32 or after a slight trade down into the 2nd.

32 may be kind of high but if Bill goes the trade down route, as he often does, somewhere in the 2nd could happen.

15. steve earle says:

I’m really excited to see how the results come out for this group. Charles Harris DE has been my top (#32) hope all from last summer. I’m expecting he will do so well that he moves up where we can’t get him, my luck. But even if he just has a solid day I’ll be happy. If Bill can grab him the rest of the draft can go any way it can and it will be fine.

16. Brian says:

Couple of guys I will be watching today are Naz Jones And Deatrich Wise Jr. both likely mid to late round DL that can be scheme versatile.

17. paul hayes says:

I was looking at stats for pass rush prospects and I came across Hunter Dimick. He was a four year DE for Utah. I hadn’t heard of him at all. Despite his stats ( 19.5 TFL, and 13.5 sacks ) he was a combine snub. Anyone got any thoughts on him, and how he might be a fit for Pats ?

18. Turbo says:

Lawson and Hendrickson looks really good out there. Kpassagnon is a freaking monster.

Hay Turbo, Lawson and Hendrickson I know but who is this Kpassagnon and how have I missed him?

• Turbo says:

Hey Steve. Dude is HUGE (6’7 290) and really athletic and from what i read about him he’s extremely smart. He’s from a small school so if you draft him you need to work on him. To be honest i don’t know whyt type of defense would suit him the most, but with that size and athletism he could be special….we’ll see.

Thanks Turbo I did manage to catch some of his results and they looked pretty good. I’m going to try to find some film on him. Let you know if I do.

As I said I did find a good number of highlights on youtube. Wasn’t that hard and he looked good against the competition but that’s really the big question isn’t it. We often see some kid come in and look really great at the combine but sometimes just never lives up to it on the field. This Tanoh K. might be the real thing or fools gold. Question who will cough up a nice mid round pick to find out?

OT Will Holden looks like a developing prospect at 6’7″ 311 lbs. His broad jump 111, 3-cone drill 7.71, and shuttle 4.72 were solid. His Bench was only 23 reps., but his vertical was 28.
    His family Military back ground, and high football IQ, are added plus’s. His tape is good, but he needs work. A solid late 3 -4th rounder.

20. Mike Gerken says:

On a somewhat unrelated subject, I am not mentally prepared for Kareem Hunt to be on any other team besides the Patriots. When I start getting into mock drafts, I can guarantee you Hunts name will be penciled in at 62. In fact, I have a much better feel who I would target in rounds 2 through 5 then I would in round 1.

I hope Hunt will still be there at 62. He looks like he would be a great fit.

• macspak says:

I have nothing against Hunt and hate to be a contrarian but I have real difficulty with all our defensive needs seeing us pick a RB that high. TE maybe, RB – no. I think we can find our RB, if we draft one, later.

• Todti says:

Completely agree. I think DT, DE, TE and probably even LB and CB are higher priorities than RB. On the other hand, BB surprises us every year and we don’t know their draft board.

• EdgeX says:

Mike you don’t want to get your hopes up too high.

Remember what’s happened in past years with your binkies? And going by your gushing track record this year maybe you ought to consider hyping up some other guys to balance out the karma?

Also the first round pick for the Pat’s I think is pretty easy, they pick best one out of this group that is available that they are high on: DE, CB, TE.

I can pretty much guarantee their first pick is going to come down to one of those 3 positions.

• Todti says:

Generally, this year’s strengths in draft and FA seem to align quite well with the Patriots’ needs (granted, the amount of Patriots’ FAs increases the chance for some overlap). There are good prospcets at TE, CB and DE and the DT FA class is pretty solid and deep.

*/ ?>