Scouting Report, Damontae Kazee, CB

If the Patriots decide to draft a Corner in the Draft, Kazee might be a good fit for the Patriots.

NEPD Staff Writer: Mike Gerken

Man, it is too bad these Super Bowls have to be so boring. I mean, the Patriots even covered the spread, which is never the case. In all seriousness, it has taken me two days to come down from that emotional roller coaster. I went from anger, to sadness, to acceptance, to nervousness, to hope, to disbelief to jubilation all within one half of football. I woke up Monday morning still in disbelief and had to check the box score one more time. I have to give a shout out to one of my best friends, Kaufman. He is not a Patriots fan (Bear’s fan sadly) but he texted me throughout that game with nothing but positive thoughts that helped me keep a sliver of hope alive. I also want to tell my other good friend Evanson, who is a die hard Falcon fan, that I truly feel bad for him. Not that his team lost, that I happy for, but for the pain he must be feeling for how that game unfolded. Despite the good fortune of winning FIVE Super Bowls, we have endured some loses as well, and that pain is real and it takes awhile to get over. Hang in there buddy, maybe next year (unless they play the Patriots again. ) Now, back to football. As Belichick said on Monday, the team is five weeks behind on the 2017 season. I too am behind and trying desperately to get caught up on these prospects, so today, I break down a corner that caught my attention at the Senior Bowl.

Name: Damontae Kazee (#23)

School: San Diego State (Sr.)

Height: 5’10” (Senior Bowl)

Weight: 183 Lbs (Senior Bowl)

Positives:

As I stated above, Kazee caught my attention while watching the Senior Bowl practices. He seemed to be competitive on every single rep I saw him take. On film I saw a lot of positive things as well. He is an aggressive player who was very comfortable in press man coverage, which is becoming harder and harder to find at the college level. Kazee is fluid in his movements, easily flipping his hips and running with receivers. He is one of the better tacklers from the Corner position that I have scouted. He does not shy away from contact and will fight through blocks to make a tackle, and looks like he loves doing it.  Kazee does an excellent job of locating the football and is a play maker. He plays very aggressive and with a lot of confidence, which is needed at the position. He is a physical corner, playing much bigger than his actual size.  Kazee was also an excellent punt returner in college, giving him another way he can contribute to a team immediately.

Negatives:

Kazee lacks ideal size and length to play on the outside in the NFL, which means he will be limited to the slot. He looks quicker than fast on camera, so he could struggle with faster receivers on deep routes. He likes to peak into the backfield a little to much and his aggressiveness can be taken advantage of.

Overall:

I really enjoyed watching Kazee. I didn’t know much about him before the Senior Bowl except that he had forced a lot of turnovers in college. It is so hard to find corners who play press coverage in college anymore, and Kazee not only does it, but he does it well. He is smooth in his backpedal and fluid in his breaks, making him an ideal slot corner in the NFL. He is fundamentally sound and should be able to contribute right away. I love the way he attacks ball carriers. He is a very good tackler and really seems to take pride in it. He seems to possess the type of qualities Belichick looks for in his Corners. This Corner class seems to have a lot of talent and Kazee won’t wow anyone from a physical standpoint, but I think he is a late Day 2/Early Day 3 guy. I might prefer an outside player if Corner is a position the Patriots decide to draft, but I think Kazee would find a role on this team and be able to contribute quickly.

35 Responses to “Scouting Report, Damontae Kazee, CB”

1. Jeff says:

If Butler and Rowe are the top 2 on the depth chart assuming Ryan signs elsewhere, a slot-style corner would be just what the doctor ordered, especially with questions around Cyrus Jones’s development. With 2 picks at the end of the 3rd round, a guy like this might be just what the doctor ordered. It isn’t too far-fetched to think that the Pats might replace their two former 3rd round DBs with 2 3rd round DBs this year.

I think CB Logan Ryan moves on, as to costly. The draft is Rich this year with good CB’s, on tape there is about 6 I like, but the best value guy could be, CB Febian Moreau 6′ 204 lbs. runs a liget, 4.42 40 yd.
    To me Moreau has size, is very fluid in his drop, good hand use, and he’s a senior. With some coaching he looks like a great fit in the Patriots system. Smart prospect, who interviews well.
    Also; I believe CB Rowe will be in the last year of his deal 2018. We know BB is always looking head.

3. Ned Ryerson says:

The only scenario I can see where BB takes a 2018 1st rounder for Jimmy G is if the Tackle position looks loaded and he can get his LT of the future . Otherwise, we have a 40 yo QB, a TE coming off 3rd back surgery and the strong possibility of
    a Free Agent Duck Boat leaving with Hightower, Harmon, Ryan, Bennett and Sheard. Future picks won’t cut it. The time is now.

• macspak says:

the time has been now for the last 5 to 7 years but the long range approach still applies and works. There will be life and football after TB and BB. Even if we lose all those FA’s, which I seriously doubt, we have the money and brains to reload around the core. Losing Ryan will be tough and likely we will lose him. Sheard, Bennett and Harmon can be replaced. DH will test and leverage the market but unless there is a truly outrageous offer he will be back. There is ample money to sign incoming FA’s to replace outgoing and probably at better value. Russell gave us a short list a couple days ago and the draft is deep on the D side. I will be most surprised if any JG trade does not involve future picks.

I grew up with the bad Pats from the early 60’s on and that provides a different perspective than just enjoying the past 20 years or so. Leadership, starting with ownership, is the key to success and if you understood who owned and ran the team prior to Kraft you would better appreciate what he has created.

I think Hightower, Harmon, and Bennett will be among priority resignings (as long as they are not trying to break the bank) but I do agree Bill needs 2017 draft picks not future ones. Many of us have been saying this for the past two or three years but it’s truer now then ever. Also I wouldn’t swap our 1st #32 in any trade for JG. If a team wants a good starter prospect let them pay for him.

4. D. Martin says:

I don’t watch college sports, so I haven’t seen much of O J Howard at TE. I realize anyone can look great on a highlight reel, and I read that for some inexplicable reason he was incredibly under utilized at Alabama. But I was watching some footage of his best plays and thought he seemed very similar to Aaron Hernandez on the field. Does anyone else see the same similarities? Could he really be almost as talented and versatile as Hernandez? If so, I would like to see him taken in the first.

• Mike Gerken says:

Howard is a much better player than Hernandez. Howard was underused at Alabama, that is for sure. He is one of, if not, the best blocking TE’s in this class as well. He is much bigger than Hernandez as well.

I’m like D. Martin I seldom get to watch collage sports (except going to UNH games) so your endorsement of Howard has me onboard.

• D. Martin says:

So, if the options were to either move up in the first for Howard, or hope Tim Williams falls to 32, which do you believe to be the better move?

If Mike is right and we get a 1st for JG then I would be for taking Howard too.

5. Mike Gerken says:

Lot’s of great comments on a variety of topics here. I want to put my 2 cents in on a couple of things.
    1. Free agency is going to be huge this off season. Not only do the Patriots have a ton of decisions on who to keep from their own pool of players, but who they bring in will also bring some clarity to what positions the team might target come april.

2. While Solder has had a regression over the past couple of years, he is still an above average LT being paid fair market for what he brings to the table, so no I would not cut him.

3. I think Jimmy G will be moved. The league is desperate for QB’s and some team will like the idea of getting a BB coached player who played under TB. I think the team will get a 1st rounder, but it might not be until next years draft.

4. I would have a hard time trading Gronk. I know that health is an issue and the team needs to have a quality back up plan while he is here, but he is probably the best player ever at the TE position and his value is probably at its lowest right now. I play it out under his friendly contract and go from there.

• Jeff says:

Wise words all around Mike. If some of the rumors going around have any truth to them, there could be interest from the Browns, Bears, and 49ers in Jimmy. With some competition, the Pats could get an unreasonably good haul in return. Best case scenario is one of those teams can trade back to have a mid first round pick and a pile of later picks to deal with.

As for Solder, I wouldn’t even be surprised to see an extension. He’s not an elite left tackle, but he is solid, and left tackle is the last position you want uncertainty from. (after QB). Without much to pick from at the position this year in the draft, I don’t think the Pats will want to be choosing between Fleming and a rookie next year at the position if they can help it.

6. GM-in-Training says:

So, Logan Ryan, Duron Harmon, Malcom Butler, Dontae Hightower, Martellus Bennett, and Jabal Sheard are all looking to get paid.

Hightower could probably get $12-14 mil/year someplace.

Butler could probably get $7-8.

L. Ryan perhaps $6-7.

Bennett $10?

That’s half the available salary cap right there. Maybe that’s too optimistic.

• Tim D says:

I think Butler will be 12-14mil avg and ryan almost 10 mil on the open market. Hopefully Butler will take a little less to stay here.

7. steve earle says:

Kazee is one of my favorites, I saw highlights of his play earlier this year and fell he would be a great addition to the Pats.

@D.Martin— Have to agree with Rob, who would you replace Solder with is my question? Pat’s just won another SB with Solder playing LT all year, how good does he have to be to win your approval?

8. D. Martin says:

How likely is Garoppolo to be traded? What can the Pats hope to get for him? Is there anyone else that should be traded?

How deep is this draft talent wise, and at which positions are there the most skilled players?

• EdgeX says:

On a scale of 1 to 10…the chances Jimmy G is traded is a 10.

What can they get for him? At least a 1st, probably more – which is the interesting part because I’m expecting a bidding war and who knows how high it could go then…

9. D. Martin says:

We seem to have many expensive and valuable players entering free agency this year. I’ve read the team is in a good position with cap space. I think Floyd would be a potentially great player with a bargain bin price tag. I think Solder should be cut or restructured. He is being paid Joe Thomas money.

• Rob says:

Solder is on the final year of his deal, so there is nothing to restructure. And releasing him would just be straight up stupid. He’s a solid Tackle, and you literally have no one else to replace him. You state that he’s being paid “Joe Thomas money”, which I guess is kinda true (Thomas at 11.5MM vs. Solder at 10MM). But Thomas signed his deal almost six years ago, so the market has grown a great deal since then. Thomas is the 7th highest paid Tackle in the NFL, where Solder is 12th. Nate is being paid fair market value, and played up to that number this season.

• D. Martin says:

Rob,
        Thomas might be the 7th highest paid LT, but he’s probably the best LT in the league, and has been consistently good for many years. And since I made it quite clear that I was stating my opinion and asking the opinions of others, I think it impolite to state my idea “would be straight up stupid.” Other than that, I respect your opinion. My position is if by cutting him the team would clear 11 million in cap space, they could probably trade for and extend a better, less injury prone tackle for that money.

• Ryan says:

We’d have to give up a lot to get a LT better than Nate Solder in a trade. If we want someone better than him, we’d have to pay him at least Solder’s current salary to extend him, and then we’d still have to give up a large piece of our team to trade for him. Is upgrading from Solder really worth whatever we’d give away in trade for a top-10 left tackle? I really don’t think so.

• Todti says:

I think Bellichick has no problem with the money they pay Solder. He currently gets the 9th-highest salary for LTs, which is alright since he is an above-average-to-great LT although a bit inconsistent. After reading a couple of articles about Bellichick’s behaviour in private I got the sense that he really wanted to pay Solder due to both his son and him having (had) cancer. It’s his way of supporting a good man, who also is a reliable and solid player.

• D. Martin says:

Good points man. I hear you. But I really haven’t considered Solder to be an elite level tackle. I suppose he isn’t quite as injury prone as Volmer, though.

10. D. Martin says:

Considering how often he has been hurt down the stretch of many post seasons, would it be a good idea to consider trading Gronk? What would it take to be worth trading him?

I’d rather a good TE prospect be drafted than give a big contract to Bennett, and if we could get a valuable asset for Gronk, that might be more beneficial to the team that having him on the sidelines to end another season. I love Gronk as a player and fully realize how great a player he is, but after many seasons finished on IR, I don’t see him getting healthier or any more durable.

• EdgeX says:

NO! Stop the nonsense! *grumbles*

• D. Martin says:

Well, that’s one way to argue a point, lol. Look, I’m not trying to argue anything. I’m sure there are many fans on this site who have been watching football longer than the ten years I have, but to my eyes Gronk’s inability to be healthy or even remain on the field during the post season has likely cost them at least a couple of rings. Do you disagree?

I disagree because I can think of no objective example where Gronk could have impacted the result of games such as against the Giants where last minute incredible catches mad the difference. In those Games Brady had brought the offense down and scored go ahead points without Gronk but the catches mentioned turned the game.

• Jeff says:

Gronk can also earn you a ring. He was huge in the 2014 run, and last season, he almost single-handedly beat the Broncos defense. If Brady went to him on the 2-point conversion, this could have been their 3rd Superbowl appearance in 3 years. The offense is so much better with him in it, and especially at his contract, he is worth the injury risk 100%.

• D. Martin says:

Hey Steve. It’s been awhile. Good to hear from you. Gronk has been on IR after receiving season ending surgery 4 times. Once in college and thrice with the Pats. That’s three years he wasn’t able to play in conference title games/Superbowls. To say nothing of the decoy game against the Giants. He has had like 4 surgeries on his arm, a couple on his back and at least one on his knee.

11. jose marques says:

Jimmy G trade to bears for 1 round and future 4 round:

1:Jonathan allen DE/DT Alabama
    1:Tim Williams LB Alabama
    2:Cooper Kupp WR Eastern Washington
    3:Tyus Bowser DE Houston
    3:Damontae Kazee CB San Diego State
    4:Roderick Johnson OT Florida State
    5:James Conner RB Pittsburgh
    7:Ryan Switzer, WR, North Carolina
    7:Nate Peterman QB Pittsburgh

I’d love to snap him up in the third if Logan Ryan departs, which he probably will given the positive trend of his play over the course of the season. If Ryan stays, though, I would be more interested in an outside guy given that we picked up Cyrus Jones and Jonathan Jones last year.

• 2014 NFL Draft