Update: Where have I been?

NEPD Staff Writer: Mike Gerken

I just wanted to write a short post letting you all know that I will be back with new content regarding the 2016 Patriots and the 2017 NFL draft very soon. I was hoping and still hope to get into some different type of pieces that are team/draft related but are not just focused on next year’s prospects. We shall see if my summer schedule allows for it, but I am making an effort to do so. Thanks for all your patience and I look forward to interacting with all of you again real soon.

8 Responses to “Update: Where have I been?”

1. Michael says:

PSW, that’s cooked spaghetti right.

2. GM-in-Training says:

What’s your read on the Pat’s strategy of grabbing 3 really similar UDFA CB (J. Jones, LeBlanc, and Bently), and trying to clone a Malcom Butler? I think they have varying special teams upside, but it seems clear the Pats think they’ve identified a formula for getting decent CB for favorable rates.

• Mike Gerken says:

The Patriots seem to be gambling at one of the most important positions and so far they are winning. Maybe they feel they have identified certain traits that allow them to approach the position differently than other teams. It appears they do not see height as a major factor in the success of their CB’s. I liked J. Jones coming out of college and was surprised he went undrafted. It is a big gamble at a premium position, but if they are confident in the formula, it would be a huge advantage.
      CB is a position I am very excited to watch this preseason.

• PSW says:

Unfortunately, probably, just a case of throw enough pasta at the wall, hope something sticks

• Kevan says:

Belicheck spoke of finding outliers, maybe this is an example of that. Most teams are looking for taller corners now. If Cyrus jones was 6 foot he would have been taken in the 1st rd, if Jonathan jones was 6 foot he would have atleast been drafted

3. steve earle says:

Good to hear you will be back soon, starving for Pat’s “football” news.

4. Mike Gerken says:

You might be right Jeff. Carter does seem like the guy who has made the most from his opportunities. It will be interesting to see how the reps are given out to start camp and if that changes throughout the preseason.

5. Jeff says:

Thanks for the update!

Paul Perillo seemed down on Devin Lucien in a recent article. With Harper unable to take advantage of his opportunities last year, I wouldn’t be surprised if Carter ends up being the receiver to land on the practice squad.

• 2014 NFL Draft