Post Draft Scouting Report: Devin Lucien, WR

Does a 7th round pick at a very crowded position have a chance to make the final roster?

NEPD Staff Writer: Mike Gerken

We reach the final scouting report for the 2016 draft. I apologize for dragging this out so long, but an unexpected work trip has kept me from finishing this up until now. Way back when, before the draft, I said in one of my reports that the Patriots could surprise us and double dip at Wide Receiver, and that is exactly what they did. Now, when I made that statement, I was thinking that it was a real possibility that Danny Amendola could be released. Either way, a seventh round pick is going to struggle to make the final 53 man roster, but Lucien should enough in college that he might just have what it takes to surprise us all and force his way onto the roster.

Height: 6’2′

Weight: 195 Lbs.

Pro Day Results:

40-yard dash: 4.39 seconds
Vertical: 34 1/2 inches
Broad jump: 9’9″ feet
Short shuttle: 4.30 seconds
3-cone: 6.93 seconds
Bench: 13 reps of 225 pounds

Lucien was the definition of a late bloomer as far as college production goes. Before his final year at Arizona State, and really his final three games, Lucien had not done much to garner much attention from NFL scouts. He has good height for the position and decent bulk as well. Lucien has good speed to separate from defenders and be a vertical threat at the next level. He tracks the ball well and can make contested catches. Over his career he has really improved as a pass catcher, and now his hands are one of his best attributes. He catches the ball naturally and does not allow the ball into his body. Overall, he is a very good athlete and a good route runner, but he needs to improve in his transitions. He seems to have to downshift in and out of his breaks and struggles with acceleration. He has quick feet and quickness to get open quickly on shorter routes. Lucien also needs time to develop as a route runner on more complicated routes and to learn to play in a timing based offense that the Patriots run.

Lucien will be an interesting case study. On one hand, he had four years of pedestrian production, but in his graduate year, he showed vast improvement in just about every aspect of his game. In the final three games of the season, we saw a glimpse of what he might become. He played those final three games with great confidence and refinement in his game. Was it just a fluke or just the beginning of great things to come? Only time will tell on that. His big hurdle will be if he can continue to improve on his transitions and his ability to create separation in and out of his breaks. He has shown NFL ready hands, body control and the ability to make tough, contested catches. Lucien will have to learn quickly to have a chance at making this team, but the practice squad is a real possibility and I am excited about his long term potential.

Again, I apologize for how late this last report was. My plan now is to start on the 2017 class very soon. I won’t start on reports yet, but I would like to do some articles over the summer. If you have any thoughts or ideas on articles you would like to see, please let me know either on here or on twitter. Thanks again to everyone who read my work and to all of you who contributed to the conversations. Without you, I would just be writing to myself, and that might be a little weird. :)

36 Responses to “Post Draft Scouting Report: Devin Lucien, WR”

1. Kevan says:

Pre training camp 53
    QB- Brady, jimmy G, Jacoby
    RB- Lewis,Blount,Bolden,Dj foster, Develin
    TE- Gronk,Bennett,Harbor
    T – Solder,Vollmer,Waddle,Flemming
    G – Mason,Cooper,Thuney
    C – Stork,Andrews
    LB-Hightower,Collins,Ninko,McClellin,Kamu grugier hill
    S -McCourtey,Chung,Harmon,Richards,Ebner
    K -ghost
    P – Allen
    LS – Cordona

• Kevan says:

Cannon gets cut, pats will sift through tackle options. J.white traded to saints, J.Coleman traded to Seahawks, Dobson traded to saints, bears or cut.

• GM-in-Training says:

One of your receivers and one of your CB ends up on the practice squad. Amendola starts the season on IR. Kline is kept at G/C. A.J. Derby squeaks in at TE, and Elandon Roberts at LB.

• Ryan says:

I would change that to cutting a RB and a S. We’d still have 4 running backs and 4 safeties, and we wouldn’t have to drop to 3 active WRs to start the season, which would be a recipe for disaster.
        Seriously, there’s no way that fewer than 5 (6 if you count Slater) WRs and 4 CBs are on the final roster.

• Kevan says:

I think there’s a good chance Amendola starts the season on PUP. I like Derby, maybe BB thinks he can get him on the PS. It’s tough getting down to 53, went out on a limb with a couple.

• Russell says:

No-Way Flemming makes the 53 man roster. Last year he started the year on the P-squad. Like Vellano over J. Johnson DE, CB J. Coleman, OT Canonn and OG Kline makes the team.
      RB White, WR Dobson, OG Jackson, cut.

2. Dan Sullivan says:

To all Patriot fans get to game a live the excitement is electric.

Final Bruins Mock Draft
    1 Olli Juolevi D London
    1 Luke Kunin C Wisconsin

Final Celtics Mock Draft
    1 Jamal Murray SG Kentucky
    1 Jacob Poeltl C Utah
    1 Brice Johnson PF NC

Finally Happy Fathers Day to all Fathers the toughest most rewarding position
    a Man can have enjoy!

Dan Sullivan

3. Matt says:

Any one know what happened to the kid that was standing out side the stadium hoping to get to try out with the Pats?

4. Dan Sullivan says:

Five players who I feel are going to come on strong for Patriots this season.
    Donald Brown RB
    A.J. Derby TE
    Trey Flowers DE
    Bryan Stork C
    Brock Vereen S

Danny Ainge make the Picks forget trades. No Kevin Love selfish and not a tough player.
    1 Marquise Chriss PF
    1 Ivaca Zubac C
    1 DeAndre Bembry SF

1 Pascal Laberge C
    1 Michael McLeod C

5. Hammer says:

Remember Lucien only played one year at Arizona State which was his break out year. He was at UCLA for three years of limited production. Not a knock on UCLA but ASU was a better fit for him just like the Patriots have the right people to allow him to showcase his talents. Watched him at ASU and kids got unbelievable hands.

• Ryan says:

Yeah his hands and his body control are what impress me the most. Those are two things that are critical to making tough catches, and they separate good receivers from average ones. Even if nothing else about him is above the NFL average, those two traits will suit him well.

6. Yohy says:

I know OTAs and mini camp at this time of year are basically a passing camp. The players that get written about are receivers and defensive backs.

We haven’t heard anything on Trey Flowers or Valentine. And the only news on Grissom is that he jumped offsides twice.

At one point I thought the Pats might go back to a 3-4 and make Grissom an inside LB. wasn’t Bruschi a DE in college? Turns out they have been using Nikovich at ILB.

Can’t wait for training camp

7. acm says:

Lucien will end up on the PS.

Sorry, Ryan, know how much this one means to you :(

8. Dan Sullivan says:

My five players that will make team and push for playing time.
    Geneo Grissom DE

Tage Thompson RW Connecticut

Red Sox Draft
    Bryan Reynolds LF Vanderbilt
    Chris Okey C Clemson

• Jeff says:

Hey Dan,
      I like Harbor the best on your 5 guys, but he may have some trouble getting lots of playing time with Gronk and Bennett ahead of him on the depth chart.

With Grissom, he didn’t to me seem to show much promise with his opportunities last season. He didn’t appear to be a standout on special teams (and I think he gave up a blocked punt or field goal?) and he didn’t produce with actually what turned out to be a decent number of snaps. I’d put him more in the category of a potential surprise cut unless he really has made a jump.

How do other folks see Grissom?

• Ryan says:

He was a wild card when we drafted him, and now we’re changing defenses so he’s a wild card again. I’ll take anything from him this year as a positive; I have no expectations but high hopes for the kid.

Remember, when he came out for the draft he was considered one of the rawest draftable players. It was a foregone conclusion that he wouldn’t contribute much last year, and I expect that to stretch into at least half of this year until he latches on at one position and learns the ropes. He’s the definition of a project.

• Dan Sullivan says:

If you saw the Patriots getting off of there bus you would think Grissom was one of the stars
        of the team but actually he is a work in progress. I watch a lot of college football and
        I remember him as being fast, athletic and very strong. If he works hard at the Patriots system he hay be a star player someday.

Can’t wait for season to start and Take Care.
        Dan S

• Jeff says:

Fair enough, if he works out that’ll be a huge boost for the team, especially with so many defensive free agents next season.

• Todti says:

Personally, I can’t say anything about Grissom but Sports Illustrated’s Andy Benoit spoke pretty highly about him on a podcast a couple weeks ago. He said Grissom’s number kept showing up when watching tape of last season and he had to look up who he was because he was pretty impressed.

My article bashing Roger (bonehead) Goodell has nearly 10,000 hits!! WA-ho what a dick head!

Having a first round draft pick in 2017 will help, Barring Coach Belichick trading it. Getting players signed will be HUGE next year. Vollmer and Slater may retire, Ninkovich may sign a cost friendly 1/2 year deal.
    OG Jackson, and OT Cannon may see the ax this year. DE Long may come back another year, but Sheard, hits the free agent market. Collins maybe to costly, but Hightower will be signed.
    Please keep checking my articles at, every viewer helps my status!

Hey Mike,

Have you ever thought of doing a piece on how Belicheck’s drafting has changed over the years, both in success rate and strategy? It would take a while, but it could be really interesting. I feel like Belicheck has become less successful over the years, but that might just be pessimism so it would be cool to see if that’s actually true by examining each draft class under Belicheck and looking at how they panned out.

I’m just spitballing here.

• Jeff says:

Something else that could be interesting would be to grade all of Bill’s draft picks into 3 general categories – quality starter (would exclude guys like Brandon Deaderick who started but you’d prefer that he didn’t have to), quality backup/special teams player, and duds. Then see what percentage of guys picked in each round fall into each of those categories. That could give us a good reference point as to what to expect from guys drafted in each round and a way to objectively say whether they were a win or loss based on their performance relative to draft positions. For example, if 15% of third round picks are quality starters, 40% are quality backups/special teams studs, and 45% are busts, we would know that the expectation for a 3rd round player would be a backup, with about half being worthless and a few becoming starters.

If we could also compare that to other top GMs in the league, that would also be interesting.

12. Mike Gerken says:

You guys must have been reading my mind. The two positions I have already started looking into deeper have been offensive tackle and runningback. Seems like I was doing the same thing this time last year.

• Jeff says:

With Long, Sheard, Ninkovich, Branch, and Knighton all set to hit free agency next year, I would think defensive end and defensive tackle will also be targeted high in the draft, even if you see some development from some of the young kids and one or 2 of those guys are retained. The final area that could be needed is wide receiver (or quality receiving tight end). If Bennett is gone and Amendola finally moves on, you’ve got Gronk and Edelman, but then rookies and guys like Hogan, Harbor, and Martin, veteran’s who are unlikely to be world beaters, even if they do have some potential.

13. Tim says:

My recommendation is to also talk about the offensive tackles of the 2017 class. Since we didn’t draft a true OT in this latest draft, this is also a position I think the Pats will need to address next year, particularly with the uncertainty of Vollmer and Cannon.

I hope the Pats give him every opportunity to win a spot. If you consider Slater a ST and then say we keep 6 WRs, I can only see three locks: Edelman, Amendola, and Mitchell. Hogan is close to a lock, but he’ll have to show something in camp to qualify for a spot. I think he will, but I’m not 100% sure. Washington is reliable but old, Dobson is young but unproven, and Martin seems to be a limited receiver. I don’t see why Lucien couldn’t theoretically take the 5th or 6th WR spot from any of them. Still, he’s got an uphill battle ahead of him, but you’ve got to believe that there’s a reason they drafted him. I could also see him sticking on the practice squad, but needless to say I’m rooting for this young man to carve out a roster spot.

• GM-in-Training says:

Hogan has a big chunk of guaranteed money doesn’t he?

• Ryan says:

You’re right: 7.5 million is a hefty sum. Still, the Pats aren’t shy about cutting players who are bad fits, so Hogan still has to prove his worth. His measurables are very good, but over three mostly healthy seasons with the Bills he hasn’t even reached 500 yards in a season. Consider my enthusiasm curbed. He probably projects as the number three receiver on the depth chart, but we’ve got to see or hear something from him as a Patriot before we can be sure of anything.

15. GM-in-Training says:

Lucien does look like an interesting candidate for practice squad until he can master his route tree and option routes.

• Hammer says:

I agree GM. As an ASU alumni I saw him in action grabbing balls right before they hit the turf. I believe had the most replays on the team that turn in ASUs favor. Wishing he and DJ Foster (ASU) make the team. Both are great picks for Pats.

16. GM-in-Training says:

I think it would be interesting to talk about solid RB most likely to become available by September. There are bound to be some deep RB corps that shed a decent 1st and 2nd down back who can be had at rookie prices, or at recently-waived-veteran prices.

17. Lucas says:

I hope you could talk about the RBs of the 2017 class. The Pats have to take a RB next year and I would like to know about the best ones and some unkownd

• Ryan says:

Yeah, the way in which the Patriots completely ignored the position in this year’s draft makes me think that they’re planning ahead. They’re probably trying to avoid the mistakes made when drafting Aaron Dobson in 2013, a year ahead of the best WR class in recent history.

• 2014 NFL Draft