Post Draft Scouting Report: Kamu Grugier-Hill, LB/S

The Patriots love to draft versatile players, and while KGH is relatively unknown, he could be exactly what the team is looking for on defense, a chess piece.

NEPD Stafff Writer: Mike Gerken

While many fans may not know much about the Patriots late Day 3 picks from this draft class, these were some of the more intriguing picks for me. While it may be tough to find a lot of tape on Kamu Grugier-Hill (KGH for short,) from what little I could find, I saw a player that is very intriguing. Here are my thoughts on what KGH could do for the Patriots and what his role might be for the team.

Name: Kamu Grugier-Hill (#32)

School: Eastern Illinois (SR.)

Pro Day Results:

Height: 6’2″

Weight: 215 Lbs.

40 time: 4.45

Vertical jump: 38.5″

Broad Jump: 10’9″

3-Cone Drill: 6.89

20 Yard Short Shuttle: 4.20

I am sorry that I do not have a spider graph to show you visually his pro day results, but just in case you are wondering, those are very impressive numbers. KGH first came on my radar after his pro day and while tape on him was limited (you can find more now thankfully) what I did see was impressive. The first thing you notice is his speed. He looks like he is shot out of a cannon when he is in pursuit of the ball carrier. He is light on his feet, almost bouncing as he moves laterally before he explodes forward to make the play. He has impressive change of direction skills, making it difficult for defenders to get their hands on him. He has the speed and size to play Safety as well as the instincts and toughness to play Linebacker. He keeps his eyes up, diagnoses the play and reacts to the ball quickly, making him look even faster.  Despite his size, he is a solid wrap up tackler rather than a dive at their ankles type that many of these hybrid safety/linebackers tend to do. I think he makes this team as a special teams contributor. He gets downfield quickly and can make plays in space and should be an excellent addition to the punt and kick coverage teams.

The flip side of all this is that he is a guy with no clear cut position. He is either an in the box type Safety or an undersized Linebacker. He played most of his college career at Linebacker, but he played at 208 Lbs. and that just will not cut it in the NFL. He made his plays in college coming downhill and if he moves to Safety, he has a much bigger learning curve. He comes from a small school and he could use his speed to avoid blocks. In the NFL, he is going to have to prove that he can take on blockers and still make plays.  Coming from a small school, the level of competition is going to me much greater, and there were times even in college, that he would bounce off guys he was trying to tackle. The players in the NFL only get bigger and stronger, and I do worry he just isn’t big enough to be a regular contributor on defense.

I am really intrigued by this pick. I didn’t know much about him until he was drafted by the Patriots, but he fits that mold I have wanted on this team for awhile now. I have wanted to see what Belichick could do with a player like this for awhile now and I hope the KGH shows enough to stick on the team. If he can prove himself on special teams while learning and getting bigger, then he has a shot to be a contributor on defense down the line. Only time will tell, but this is one player I am excited about from this draft class.

34 Responses to “Post Draft Scouting Report: Kamu Grugier-Hill, LB/S”

1. Hi, I am big fan of Patriots. Thank you for sharing this news. Day 3 picks from last class were remarkable. Kamu Grugier-Hill promises best performance. Looking forward to upcoming draft classes, where we would be able to witness more skillful plays. He is indeed pro and his speed is amazing. I can’t wait for the next class.

2. Stephen J says:

A good article by Rich Hill today Bill Belichick’s 7 most important skills for a cornerback

1. Instincts

2. Foot Quickness

3. Hips

4. Acceleration/Catch-up Speed

5. Solid tackler

6. Confidence/Mental Toughness

7. Ball Skills : So in college, you take their best two seasons, you add up their numbers of picks and numbers of pass break ups and you rank the top 15 guys…you’ll get a sense of who has the best ball skills in the draft

Also not mentioned in this article but related and talked about is the 3 cone which I believe(correct me if I am wrong) would measure both 2 Foot Quickness(Change of Direction) and 4 Acceleration

3. Jeff says:

With the Patriots and Bears having joint practices this year, let’s hope Jimmy G really shines that week. The Bears to me are the most likely destination for Jimmy in the next off-season, as they will finally be able to rid themselves of Cutler’s contract. Cleveland and San Fran seem like good bets to be picking at the top of the draft and selecting the top couple of QBs in the draft. The Jets probably grab Cutler after he’s cut, and teams like Detroit, Dallas, and Kansas City who might be looking for successors could grab QBs 3-5 in the draft.

With Chicago’s potential need, the cooperation between the two organizations in transactions and joint practices, and the joint practices themselves to showcase Jimmy G’s professionalism and skills, let the conspiracy theories run rampant!

• Stephen J says:

Good thoughts Jeff
      Also do you think if Jimmy G performs well enough that he would be the one sticking around and they would shop Brady. You know BB saying he would rather move a player a year early than a year too late.

• Jeff says:

I guess you never know, but it’s hard to expect that when we’ve seen his play continue at such a high level on a very reasonable contract. When Bill moves on, it’s to gain assets while saving cap space to use on other assets (Seymour and Jones, for example, were set to land huge contracts). If Brady shows signs of decline, Bill could look for a Carson Palmer type deal from a few years ago when the Raiders gave up a huge package to get him.

AS Jeff says “you never know” but I just can’t believe that could happen after all Tom has done for this team. I choose to believe he will retire a Patriot and only a Patriot. I don’t believe I’m alone on that.

Very good point glad you thought that far ahead. I’ll be very interested to see how that turns out.

4. Stephen J says:

Here is another article on KGH

Did you know he played safety and punted in High School

5. acm says:

WR Brian Hartline spotted at Logan in 3, 2, 1 …

6. Stephen J says:

New England Patriots tryout hopeful has waited outside of Gillette Stadium every day for a month

Abiola Aborishade Senior Highlights

7. Stephen J says:

Two articles I find interesting on KGH is
    1 http://nesn.com/2016/05/kamu-grugier-hill-scouting-report-patriots-defender-brings-elite-athleticism/

2 http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/grugier-hill-interesting-fit-patriots-world-shrinking-defenses

Both mention KGH and Patrick Chung at 215 and the 2nd article says Chung’s tackling ability makes him look like a linebacker at times.

After watching the clips on KGH and his athleticism and reading those 2 articles along with this write up KGH has me intrigued. The 2nd article also keeps my expectations level when they say Grugier-Hill has plenty of work to do before he’s considered near Chung’s level as a coverage player yet hope that if the Pats can harness Grugier-Hill’s athleticism(I think of Jamie Collins and how they harnessed his athleticism), though, and make him an effective defender in the passing game, that will carry plenty of value.
    So time will tell but this is one player has grown on me since he was picked.

8. Dan Sullivan says:

Vinnie Sunseri would be a very nice addition to Pats secondary.
    Happy Birthday Julian Edelman we need him celebrating another Patriots Super Bowl win!

Celtics Mock Draft (Don’t get to fancy Danny Ainge build on a nice team)
    1 Buddy Hield SG Oklahoma
    1 Brice Johnson PF UNC
    1 Damian Jones PF/C Vanderbilt

Bruins Mock Draft
    1 Julien Gauthier RW Val-d’Or
    1 Lucas Johansen D Kelowna
    2 Dennis Cholowski D Chilliwack

9. Yohy says:

I recall Jimmy Johnson had a defensive philosophy of turning speedy LB sized guys into DEs and then speedy safety sized guys into LBs. The result was an undersized unit that relied more on speed and tackling ability than traditional height and weight.

Eventually the league countered with mammoth overpowering offenses. That’s just the cycle of the NFL. Like when everyone had small fast CB, the counter was the tall WR. Then the CBs got bigger so the little quick WR returned. Just the evolution of the game.

Looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

10. J H TARBORO says:

What’s going on in Jacksonville? Last years’their 1st round pick Donte Fowler tore his ACL only 1 hour into his 1st practice and now this years 1st round pick Jalen Ramsey has a tear in his meniscus in his right knee, that had microfracture surgery back when he was in high school. What the hell are you doing Gus Bradley?

• Jeff says:

At least the meniscus is much less serious. Hopefully it’s a setback that no one even remembers in a couple of years.

11. Todti says:

I think there a couple of factors that allow Kamu to be a contributor for the Patriots short-term and long-term. Right now, he’s incredibly athletic and has decent instincts but needs to get stronger which pretty much limits him to be a STer, although he should be a pretty good one. In the meantime he gets put through the strength and conditioning program and learns scheme and technique, so that he could see extended snaps at the end of next season (similar to Collins but one year later). The lack of depth at the LB position after the top tier would enable him to stay on the roster.

12. Kevan says:

KGH vs brandon king

13. Jeff says:

Any Celtics fans here?

Kings reportedly willing to let Rondo walk in free agency – does this mean we could see a Smart + 3rd overall pick (and throw in a couple add-ins) for Cousins?

14. acm says:

With Matthew Wells in the 2015 draft and now this fella in 2016 – BB continues the search for his Telvin Smith.
    So, why didn’t he take the actual Telvin Smith in the 2013 draft, after he fell to the 5th round?
    I remember Russell and being so high on LB/SS Smith back then – iirc, we had a 2nd/3rd round grade on him and look at him now.

#BBknowsBest

• Russell says:

Thanks, I’m not sure why BB passed on Smith, I had him graded 2 round.

• acm says:

Probably for the same reason he passed on LaVonte David the year before that – did not fit the prototypical body-type of a BB linebacker. That is, prioritization of size over instincts and play-making ability.

15. Jeff says:

Early pre-season trade possibility – what about James White, Josh Kline (or insert your preferred interior O-lineman here), and a 2017 6th for a 5th and a 7th next year? I think Green Bay could be looking for cheap reinforcements in those areas, and they’re a team that can maximize White’s receiving abilities. Improving our late round picks for next season will be really helpful with all of the players set to hit free agency. Grabbing a 5th CB or DT with late round picks will be better than needing free agents to fill these roles.

• GM-in-Training says:

Jeff,

I like your nose for value.

What I think would be awesome is for the Pats to trade a player and their 2017 4th round pick (acquired during this year’s draft) for a 2017 3rd rounder. The reason being, that I’ve heard rumors the Deflategate seizure of the Pat’s 2017 4th rounder could impact even a 4th rounder they trade for, pushing it back. That wouldn’t apply to a 3rd rounder…and 3rd rounders are just nice.

• acm says:

Well, Jeff, the reason why NE needs to constantly go to free agency and fill holes on its roster is because the Pats whiff on most of their late round, and way too many 2nd-3rd round picks.
      If you look at the stats, as much as BB loves piling up those late rounders, very few of those players actually make the roster in their rookie year and eve fewer are still on the roster 2-3 years later.

The Packers are a team that is actually careful with and values their draft capital. They keep the players they have drafted and developed within that system, leaving few holes on their roster, which is why they are also very reluctant to go outside their system (aka free-agency) year after year.
      Packers may not win as much as Pats but that’s because they don;t have TB12 and Belichick (the coach). Look beyond the Pats, and you will be hard-pressed to find a better run organization in the NFL in the era of free agency and salary cap.

So, to sum it up, for the reasons I pointed up above, I don’t think the Packers would be a good trading partner. If they wanted a James White type of RB, they would have just drafted one (or gotten him as an UDFA) and this year there were quite a few good options for change-of-pace backs, who fell late in the draft.

That’s not to say the trade you proposed can’t happen with another team but I think James WHite may be more valuable to the Pats now than a speculative late round pick in next years draft.
      White has needed some time to grow into the system but last year he showed marked improvement in his understanding with Bardy and one could even argue he was under-utilized in quite a few games. With the uncertainty surrounding Dion Lewis’ recovery, Pats will need James White even more so in 2016, imo.

• Jeff says:

ACM – I agree with most of your points, although it sounds like we may have a different view of White’s upside. I thought he got a lot of opportunities (including in the AFC Championship) after Lewis’s injury, and what I saw was an okay pass-catching back without the versatility to rush the ball or pass block effectively. The question I suppose is whether he continues to improve or has plateaued.

As for the value of the picks, I agree that especially in the 6th and 7th, most of those guys don’t stay on the roster, hence the importance of pushing up into the 6th and increasing your kicks at the can. Furthermore, I remember in the 2010-2012 days that there were guys like Deadrick, Love, and Banta-Cain starting on defense. These guys weren’t great, but they were needed. I’m hoping that enough starters can be found to avoid relying on guys like this, but with the cap space needed to keep Collins, Hightower, and Butler, they might need to rely on these marginal guys to fill out the back of the roster. I’d rather have a 5th rounder pushing a veteran minimum free agent than and undrafted guy if that’s what’s necessary, you know?

As for Green Bay parting with picks, I think they’re not stocked at those 2 positions, so if they think they can get a couple of solid rotational guys for 2 years each (a total of 4 player-years) for downgrade of a 5th to a 6th and a 7th round pick (a loss of 4 player-years), it’s an even trade, though of course you never know what other teams will want to do. Just a thought of another team who’s needs might line up nicely to make something happen.

16. steve earle says:

From your description he sounds like a Jatavis Brown kind of guy who I had mocked to Pats but Bill didn’t go for. What a surprise! Anyway he sounds like he could help on ST’s

17. Jeff says:

I think he’s a ST guy. Any defensive production would be a great bonus, but if you have to bet on it at this point, the odds are that him seeing the field on defense means you’ve got injury issues or you’re in a blowout.

• Mike Gerken says:

Jeff,
      I agree and maybe I didn’t make that clear in the article. I do not see him having any sort of impact on defense this year. He has to make this team through special teams and then maybe down the road he could contribute.

• Jeff says:

Thanks Mike – you said he had to make the team on ST – I think I’m just agreeing with you. I’ve seen some articles or fan comments elsewhere with different (and in my opinion unrealistic) expectations for this guy, so I thought I’d chime in to reinforce my view.

• 2014 NFL Draft