Post Draft Scouting Report: Jacoby Brissett, QB

IS Brissett the new long term answer at QB for the Patriots?

Is Brissett the new long term answer at QB for the Patriots?

NEPD Staff Writer: Mike Gerken

I apologize that I have not got to these post draft reports quicker. I have been dealing with an unexpected death in the family and just did not have the time or honestly, the desire to work on these for the past week or so. I am back, and this is a nice distraction, so lets get back to looking at the rest of the Patriots picks, starting with their 3rd pick in the draft and number 91 overall, Jacoby Brissett.

Bill Belichick and the Patriots sure do love to keep us fans on our toes. After some confusion with the Thuney pick, I remember sitting in selection square talking to my friends and saying “okay, that was our curveball pick, this next pick will be a DT or a RB, guaranteed.” Then, the selection was made and again, I remember all my friends staring at me and I just stood theres speechless, looking at the jumbotron trying to wrap my head around the pick. Here I am, still trying to wrap my head around the pick.

Now, don’t get me wrong, this pick falls into the same category as the Thuney pick. I like the player, but I don’t understand the pick for the Patriots. With that said, I can see why the team liked him. First off, he has prototypical size for the position. He has good, not great athleticism, but he does have enough to create positive plays on his own. He is physical and tough and is willing to take on tacklers. With his size, he can handle the punishment and even give out some. He does a nice job of keeping his head up in the pocket and going through his progressions. Brissett has a strong arm and can make all the throws. From all reports, his intangibles are off the charts, which cannot be taught. He can read a defense and shows good anticipation when throwing guys open. He is a hard worker and a team leader, two must have qualities from a QB.

Where Brissett must improve before he can be relied on as a starter is his footwork. He does not throw with consistent footwork as far as his base, stride, and follow through. This leads to inaccuracy on all his passes, from the short routes to the deep routes. He seems move comfortable throwing on the move than he does standing in the pocket. He is not confident in his down field passing and relies way too much on the check down. While he is good at going through all his progressions, he needs to learn to do it much quicker. Sometimes he looks like he is in slow motion as he scans the field. He looks uncomfortable when he is pressured and needs to learn to stay “quiet” in the pocket when the chaos gets close. He shows a tenancy to avoid pressures out the side door rather than stepping up in the pocket and keeping the play alive with his arm.

Brissett is another player who experts seemed split on. I have read some reports that think he could end up the best QB in the class, and some that think he went 2 rounds too high. All the reports about his character and his intangibles lead me to think that regardless of what the current situation is at QB for the Patriots, the team was going to take Brissett. Quarterback is the most important position in football, so I applaud the team for continuing to look for the next “guy” to continue the success the Patriots have had for so many years. If Garrappolo can continue to develop and the Patriots can flip him for a high pick and Brissett can develop into a good backup for now and be the eventual replacement, then this will be a great pick. That seems like a lot of IF’s to me when talking about a 3rd round player who you would hope could come in and at least contribute year one. That is my issue with the pick. Time will tell and this is another pick I hope I am wrong on.

13 Responses to “Post Draft Scouting Report: Jacoby Brissett, QB”

1. munchkin says:

Greg Cosell had a nice, positive analysis of Brissett. His opinion diesn’t guarantee success for this prospect by any means, however Cosell has a pretty keen eye and has watched tape on a lot of players. His voice on the matter carries weight with me.
    When you look at the resources teams expend on finding a qb, drafting another one at this point in Brady’s career makes sense. Garoppolo is likely gone after this season if he leaves a positive impression on the field, even if Brady plays the first four games. His trade value will decrease if he only plays in preseason games. His projection going forward seems positive enough that a team would be willing to take a shot at his upside. It may not yield the second round pick they spent on him, who knows. Having a presumably competent backup for three years has unseen value. Presumably he would be better than anything Dallas put on the field once Romo went down last year. If he can show he is Osweiler like while the Pats control his contract, the rewards could be valuable.

• Stephen J says:

Here is what Cosell said in his Podcast

QB Jacoby Brissett, North Carolina State

Brissett’s talent jumped off the film. He is as physically good as anybody in this draft class. There are some concerns, such as his accuracy on deep passes and ball placement at times, but he has great velocity and a good feel in the pocket. There are excellent tools to work with, and at times he reminds you of Ben Roethlisberger (in terms of style of play, I’m not saying Brissett will be as good as Roethlisberger) with his strength and ability to shed defenders and make throws. He also has plus athleticism and movement ability, so a team would be able to include multiple run-game elements in the playbook due to his running ability. Brissett looks the part of an NFL quarterback and has the tools to be a quality starter with coaching and refinement.

Here is the link to the above

2. Todti says:

First of all, sorry to hear about the loss, Mike. My deep condolences!

Thanks for the analysis. It’s the one I was looking forward to the second most, after the upcoming one. It confirms my opinion on this pick. Brissett is a high-character, smart guy who projects to take good coaching which he will likely get from Brady and the staff. He won’t be the next Brady, but just compare the versions of Brady and Brissett that entered the league. If Brissett can improve and become a solid starter in this league, in the game-managing Alex Smith-mold, which seems reasonable due to his profile, that should really suffice for BB. Play smart, play safe, trust in the system, defense, and coaching, and the Patriots can continue being a stable team.
    In that regard, I really like the approach the Patriots took in the last ouple of years. With Brady slowly getting towards the end of his career the probability that the next backup would eventually become the starter grew, and the Patriots drafted the “safer” QB prospects. Safer in the sense that you get smart and coachable players who probably won’t completely bust when thrown into action. Sure they may not carry a team but neither will they drag it down.

• Mike Gerken says:

Thank you Todti for the kind words.
      I really like your comparison of Alex Smith. Smith is a guy who just refuses to take chances downfield and while it does not lead to turnovers, it limits what the offense can do. Brissett plays that same way. What makes Brady great is ability to squeeze the football into tight windows and Brissett has to learn to trust his arm and make those tough throws.

• Todti says:

Agree, but by all accounts Brissett seems to be a guy who can make such progress and that’s why I like that pick so much. If he could be as safe as Smith while having at least the tools to occasionally drop one deep he would be a decent QB.

3. EdgeX says:

My 2 cents:

Remember actions speak louder than words.

Through the Patriots actions they are telling me, that ever since they picked Garoppolo in the 2nd round of the 2014 draft, that drafting a star QB of the future is something heavily on their minds. While many fans and analyst alike think the Patriots should prioritize “winning now” above all else, obviously the Patriots have a philosophical difference in their approach otherwise they wouldn’t continue to draft QB’s as high as they are.

And honestly after I think about it more I can see where they are coming from. Drafting a Tom Brady doesn’t happen every day – otherwise all 32 teams would have done it by now. And I think it would take either a lot of hard work or dumb luck for the Patriots to get another shot at having a Tom Brady caliber quarterback on the roster in 5 years from now. So in stead of just “hoping for the best” after Brady retires, which isn’t in the Patriots modus operandi, the Pats are working their butts off in finding the next Tom Brady now, and will continue to focus on drafting QB’s and developing them until they feel they have found the next “one”.

4. Stephen J says:

Patriots always looking for that diamond in rough

Who is your diamond in the rough

As for me that CB trio looks to be a good battle. Right now I am leaning towards V’Angelo Bentley because of his return skills(and not just b/c of them)

On offense I like and am rooting for DJ Foster

5. Stephen J says:

I am glad that he appears to have all the tools. Yet I am left with a feeling of hoping that he puts it all together. Maybe him loosing all his play makers last year could be a blessing in disguise for if he had them and he performed well he wouldn’t of been available. Those are too many hypothetical’s though. As you say Mike time will tell and I guess we will have to wait and see.

My QB Jason Vander Laan was grabbed by Cinny after the draft. If he is cut watch the Patriots, get him for the P-squad.

Nice job Mike! Bill Parcells is the big key on Brissett, I did a short write-up on his influence on the Patriots draft at footballnation.com.
    With Parcells, a QB is more than a passer, and Brissett looks like he has a great head on his shoulder. Who better to learn under than Brady.
    Wonder why Thuney was taken ahead of Brissett? This could be an indication of the value the Patriots place on these guys.

8. steve earle says:

Well from another shell shocked observer I’m feeling slightly better after reading this eval of Brissett. I think, correct me if I’m wrong, but I think those things you find troubling are things that can be corrected with time and good coaching? I sure hope so because knowing Brady’s age and the lack of quality starters at QB in the NFL we must be prepared. (Still was looking for an OT there.)

• 2014 NFL Draft