Scouting Report: Jerald Hawkins, OT

One position the Patriots have yet to address is Offensive Tackle. If they wait for the Draft, Hawkins might be an option.

NEPD Staff Writer: Mike Gerken

This draft process started so long ago that I thought it would never get here. Now that we are only about a month out I find myself wishing I had more time.  I have watched a ton of players (193 by my count) but there are still so many more I want to watch and write about.  Today’s report spawned from a conversation on Offensive Tackles and which ones are good fits for the Patriots. Jerald Hawkins was a name brought up with mixed reviews. I had watched Hawkins awhile back, so this gave me the excuse to review my notes and to go back and watch him one more time. Is he a good fit for the Patriots? You will have to read on to find out.

This is a position that potentially could get hurt by the Patriots not having a first round pick.  Because of the nature of the position, Tackles get drafted early. I expect four or five of them to go in the first round and potentially another three or four taken before the Patriots even get on the clock. This is not ideal when many fans think getting an Offensive Tackle in the draft is priority #1. Jerald Hawkins is one of those Tackles that still might be available at pick #60, but is he worthy of being picked at that spot. Here are my thoughts on the player and where he should be taken.

From a size perspective, Hawkins seems like a good fit for the Patriots. He is tall with long arms and an athletic build.  Hawkins shows good quickness at the snap and shows good footwork overall. He is smooth in his shuffle when in pass protection, mirrors his defender well and uses his long arms to his advantage.  Hawkins shows the movement skills to get to the second level when run blocking. He does a nice job of absorbing a defenders initial attack and shows the ability to re-anchor.  Hawkins shows good field awareness, keeping his head on a swivel and doing a nice job of combo blocking.

Hawkins has one clear negative as he heads into the NFL and that is strength. Too often he does not have enough power to maintain blocks.  In the run game, he rarely shows the power to move defenders from their spot. This allows defenders to clog running lanes and shed off of Hawkins to make the play.  Hawkins can get over his feet at times when getting to the 2nd level. This gets him off balance and ineffective as a blocker. From a technique standpoint, Hawkins needs to use his hands more efficiently and consistently.

Hawkins is intriguing. I think another year in college would have been good for him, but if a team is patient enough  to allow him to develop his strength, he has the natural tools to play Left Tackle in the NFL. The good news for Hawkins is that the footwork is there. He moves well enough to be effective as a pass blocker early in his career. He has work to do from a strength perspective to be effective as a run blocker. I think with a year to develop his strength and work on some of his technique, he will be ready to be a starter come year 2. If the Patriots do indeed like Hawkins, they will have to take him with one of their two second round picks, although I would feel more comfortable taking him in round 3.

69 Responses to “Scouting Report: Jerald Hawkins, OT”

1. steve earle says:

Question guys? Now that Nate Washington has been added to Hogan at wide out is this the end for Dobson?

• Jeff says:

Depends on what else happens. For example, if Amendola is cut and no WR are drafted high, you could see a WR depth chart of Edelman, Hogan, Washington, Martin, Dobson, and Slater. If you see a receiver (or maybe even a TE) drafted high, then it would probably be Dobson vs. Washington for a roster spot (or they may go with 5 WR) as Edelman and Slater are locks and Hogan and Martin were just signed/extended.

How about BB trades Amendola and Dobson for a fifth?

• GM-in-Training says:

Trading Amendola would depend on him restructuring, in all likelihood. If he restructures…they probably wouldn’t need to trade him.

I think Dobson gets one more training camp. He’s had success in the system and has the tools. Pity he’s not a return man or a special teams guy, too.

@ GM, Maybe one more camp but the descruption of Dobson having success discounts all the time lost to injuries usually in camp before the real games count. Also Russell says if Amendola is released sooner 1 mil is saved on the cap but only 8oo k if later. So how tight is the cap and is saving 200 k or restructuring him the way to go?

• GM-in-Training says:

@ Steve E,
          Amendola could be traded with his existing contract, to someone who thinks he’s worth $6 million…are they also going to give up a pick?

@ GM, Well I guess that’s the question, can Bill find someone who will take on the 6 mil and give up a pick. I used a 5th as an example because someone would possably be willing to do both if the pick isn’t to highbut never if a higher imo.

• Russell says:

Dobson can’t stay healthy, he’s pre-season fodder……

2. steve earle says:

Darn! Bill picked up Nate Washington. Great for Pats terrable for my mocks though he could still shock by taking WR Shepard I guess? Still I have to redue my mock. Still using a 2nd and 3rd to move up mid rd in 2nd.
    2 mid) Adolphus Washington DT Ohio St ( Easley like without the inj’s)
    2 #61) Jarald Hawkins OT LSU ( yr 1 swing backup, yr 2 ROT, yr 3 LOT?)
    3) Eric Murray CB Minn ( yea the same reasons as before)
    And all the rest as before. ”
    5 trade) Jatavis Brown LB/SS Akron ”
    6) Antwion Williams OLB Geo So. ”
    6) Devon Williams RB/FB Marshall ”
    6) Devon Cajuste WR Stan. ”
    I’m consistent.

3. Mike Gerken says:

I am working on a couple more reports (hopefully get one out today depending on work) and starting to put together my big board, which I will start to put out hopefully next week.
    But for now, I took a little break and did a draft on first-pick and here is what I was able to draft. I did a couple of trade backs to fill in some gaps, but not too many because that site can get crazy with their trades.

Your score is: 8934 (GRADE: A-)

Your Picks:
    Round 2 Pick 30: Artie Burns, CB, Miami (Fla.) (A-)
    Round 3 Pick 2 (CLE): Joshua Perry, OLB/ILB, Ohio State (A)
    Round 3 Pick 28: Braxton Miller, WR, Ohio State (A+)
    Round 3 Pick 33 (COMP): Deion Jones, OLB, LSU (A)
    Round 4 Pick 1 (CLE): Jonathan Williams, RB, Arkansas (A)
    Round 6 Pick 21: Dan Vitale, FB, Northwestern (A)
    Round 6 Pick 29: Rees Odhiambo, OG, Boise State (B-)
    Round 6 Pick 33 (COMP): Keith Marshall, RB, Georgia (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 39 (COMP): Mike Thomas, WR, Southern Mississippi (B+)
    Round 6 Pick 46 (COMP): Kevin Hogan, QB, Stanford (A-)
    Round 7 Pick 22: Kevin Peterson, CB, Oklahoma State (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 29: Deiondre’ Hall, CB, Northern Iowa (A+)

I would keep Odhiambo at Tackle and move Hall to safety in this scenario.

Your’s is a good one two Mike. You traded down I traded up, either one is good by me.

4. Jeff says:

If the Pats do keep all 4 picks in rounds 2 and 3, I think they’d hope to be able to get (in no particular order) an OT (GM-in-training gives a good justification, plus there is not high-upside depth at the position), a RB (another recent discussion on the thread), a CB (one of the least deep positions on the roster – a 7th rounder who was on IR all of last year currently projects as your 4th option!), and a DT (position of strength in the draft meets a roster position lacking quality depth).

Of course if a great player is available, I think Bill will bite regardless of position. I can just hear myself groaning when we get a QB and a special teams safety back-to-back in round 2.

What other positions would folks make a case for with the Pats 2nd and 3rd round picks?

• Russell says:

I like your thoughts Jeff, but would be shocked if Belichick takes a RB 2 or 3d. CB and DT look strong to me after the free agent pick-ups.
      Guys I like;
      CB/S Sean Davis
      CB Cyrus Jones
      DT Vernon Butler
      DT Austin Johnson
      IF a player Coach wants fall out of the 1st round, he makes a trade move to go up and get him. ( Whitehair, Spriggs, Decker, Reed, A’Shawn Robinson, etc.)
      Cleveland is rebuilding so TWO 2nd round picks sounds better than one.
      I think CB- Cyrus Jones is what coach likes in a player at the CB position, tho not great size, he checks the other boxes. Punt returner is a plus, Edelman is too valuable to the offense to continue returning punts.

If Spriggs falls out of the first coach should get him, make the trade up with both 2nds if necessary. Don’t think he will slide though.

It sounds as though your thinking is right on Jeff. Before yesterday’s signing of Nate Washington I would have included WR in the top 4 picks possabilitys list but not so now. It’s even possable he could double dip at one position or another in the top 4, who knows? Bill does keep things interesting, doesn’t he?

5. GM-in-Training says:

5 reasons I think OT is the Pat’s top draft priority:

1. Both Vollmer and Solder had recent injury challenges.

2. Vollmer is 32 and a UFA next year.

3. They like to draft Tackles with exceptional starting potential a year before they need them (e.g., drafting Solder in the 1st round the year before they thought Matt Light would retire).

4. This might be the only year they get Dante Scarnecchia to work his wonders.

5. Lack of quality depth at Tackle cost them a Superbowl last year.

To me, it all cries out for moving up in the second and taking a high-ceiling athletic guy with a great frame who needs a little more weight room and technique work to get to be an above-average starting in 2017.

That all makes sense but BB has more a habit of trading down rather then up. Also, the top OT’s still may go before any pick Bill can trade up to, who knows. Now if Spriggs could be gotten with a high 2nd I’d be happy with him but I wouldn’t think that could happen. As for any others not rated in the top 25 I’m just not sure enough about any of them to say I’d trade both 2nds for them. One other thing if it’s Vollmer we are looking to find a replacement for that’s a ROT not left and there are far more potential ROT’s around, no need to panic and over draft.

• Ryan says:

Not to say you’re wrong, but they did move up to grab Chandler Jones when there was a need at DE. There is some historical precedent.

Very true Ryan, good point. The thing about BB is no one can ever be sure just what he will do in any draft. When one of us says Bill will do this or won’t do that we project what our thinking is not his. Still it’s fun trying.

• Russell says:

I agree with GM’s points. IF the Patriots sit back and wait until the first round is over, they can see who may have fallen into the early 2nd round. “If” there is somebody they want they trade up for Cleveland’s pick no. 32 by sending no.60 and no. 61 .
      If not they could trade a 2nd and 3d to move-up to the middle of the round.
      Or just stay at no.60 and 61 and pick you prospects.
      As far as the O-line OT goes unless someone falls to No. 32, I think coach Belichick doubles -up by taking TWO OT’s one early and one in the 6th round.

That would be the only way I think it could work though it would give Cleveland lots of leverage.

• Jeff says:

I agree with the draft 2 OTs strategy – one in your top 4 picks and one in your bottom 7 picks. I like Pierce Slater as a late round guy. Smaller frame than ideal, but a good athlete with some flexibility to be a backup and a 6th lineman in heavy sets.

6. Big W says:

Pick 1 Carl Nassib/ Bronson Kaufusi DE
    Pick 2 Jonathan Williams RB
    Pick 3 Cyrus Jones CB
    Pick 4 Malliek Collins DT
    Pick 5 Charone Peake WR
    Pick 6 Curt Maggitt OLB
    Pick 7 Tyler Johnstone OT
    Pick 8 Anthony Brown CB
    Pick 9 tyriq McCord DE/OLB
    Pick 10 Navy QB
    Pick 11 Peyton Barber RB
    Lots of Guys who will add speed and fill in when the injuries come.

another interesting prospect for a late round pick; Nick Richter OT/G U.of Richmond, 6’5″ 304 lbs, runs 40 yd, 5.02 His dad played a long career for the Buffalo Bills super bowl runs.

8. Dan says:

The one position I don’t see getting filled in everyone’s mocks lately is RB. (Jeff did pick up Jordan Howard). I am really a fan of Kenneth Dixon, but he is rising in draft stock so 60, may be the spot to pick him up. I think he is a Kevin Faulk type of back, I have even seen him compared to Marshall Faulk. I like his 3 down capability, and it would fit in with the rest of the backs.

Another thought, and I am not so sure I like this, is trading up for Derrick Henry in the early second. Obviously a bigger bruiser type back, but these Alabama backs don’t seem to be able to cut it once they get into the NFL.

• Kevan says:

I like Dixon he runs tough. I actually like Henry too, I think he’s a more athletic Blount, his vertical and broad jumps were pretty impressive for someone his size. Measurables alone it would be like having Von miller at RB. Unlikely pats get him, but I think a lot of teams are Leary of drafting Alabama RBs so you never know. CJ prosise is a guy who has caught my eye, runs like a young arian foster. Only one year at RB, played WR. Interested to see how Rbs shape up there could be some surprises. I don’t know if James white is a lock at this point, he can’t run or play special teams, which Donald brown excels in, and brown is a great pass blocker too. Just a thought. Either way the patriots have to improve their run game. The more pats can run and play good D, the longer Brady can play.

• Mike Gerken says:

I like Dixon and like the Kevin Faulk comparison. The problem is, this team needs a feature back. I think Dixon could be an option on any down, but I worry about him taking 20-25 carries a game and being able to hold up.
        The problem I have with Henry is that he needs space to get started and the problem is, in the NFL that rarely is given. He has build up speed and plays with power, but I just do not see him having consistent success with the way he runs. I was never a fan of Blount and I think Henry’s running style is similar.

• J H TARBORO says:

Mike, I disagree with the Blount-Henry comparison, from a height and weight prospective, I get it , but their running styles are completely different. Blount in his prime would hurdle you or try to run thru you, years later he developed “tiptoe bandit” syndrome and doesn’t run with authority for a man of size. Henry is quicker,and faster and a better pass catcher. If he happens to be within the Pats reach on draft night, I would take him, and in this no chop block era, he’ll be a QB’s best friend in certain protections, Henry would be perfect for our system..

• Jeff says:

I see RB as a top need right now for the team, as all other starting positions can be accounted for (besides maybe receiver #2, but at least you have several bodies there competing), but Brown, Bolden, Gaffney, and White cannot be penciled in as reliable starters, and even if Lewis returns to form this season, you have to manage his snaps or he’s likely to break down again. Having another true quality RB to rotate with Lewis would mean your 5 skill guys would include a good running back, Gronkowski, Bennett, and Edelman as the top 4 options, with the fifth being some combination of Develin, Hogan, Williams, Martin, Dobson, Amendola (if he stays), or some other draft pick. That’s a very talented and dangerous skill group to give Brady.

Especially with the Bennett trade, we’ll need a running back that can take advantage of good blocking tight ends or be an effective pass blocker if those tight ends release into routes. For the team as constituted, a running back is more important this year than the last several in order to keep defenses guessing and being able to exploit the run if they go light against Gronk and Bennett.

I hope a quality back is available at the back of round 2, but I don’t see it, which is why I had them waiting until the third. If they really think Henry is a home run, I could see a trade up. However, given that the Patriots offense likes to share time among running backs, it may be hard to justify giving up too much draft capital for a part-time starter. As result, I don’t think it’s worth it to give up 2 second rounders for Henry, which may be what it takes.

• EdgeX says:

Overall – I’m personally not a big fan of this RB class – but that’s just me.

Kenneth Dixon looks nice at first but when I keep digging I see a couple of problems – the main one being fumbling issues – which could be attributed to his small hands. And then I start getting Stevan Ridley flashbacks and that scares me. You need big mits to really hold on to the ball as a running back – especially in the cold New England weather in January.

C.J. Prosise would be nice – but if you follow the fumbles per touches in college that starts to raise concerns again for me. Also not sure if he can be an every down back.

Jordan Howard, Paul Perkins, Kenyan Drake (ugh more fumblitis) – maybe?

A late round diamond in the rough prospect I’d like is Keith Marshall out of Georgia.

9. GM-in-Training says:

I think the Pat’s top draft priority is a developmental Tackle. My guess is they move up to grab a guy that fits their profile. That means a guy who is 6’6″+, 35″+ arms, quick feet, and has the frame potential to beef up to an athletic 325#. Matt Light and Nate Solder were both ex TE, which is a sign of the athleticism desired.

Guys that seem close in this year’s draft:

Ronnie Stanley – Notre Dame. 6’7″, 35.5/8″ arms, 312#. Big hands. Needs more core strength.
    Le’Raven Clark – Texas Tech, 6’5″, 36.1/8 arms, 316#, size 11.7/8″ hands! Elite foot quickness.
    Jack Conklin – Michigan St., 6’6″, 35″ arms, 308#, good 40 dash but supposedly only ok kick slide speed.
    Germain Ifedi – Texas A&M, 6’6″, 36″ arms, 324#, athletic, needs technique work
    Dominique Robertseon – West Georgia, 6’5″, 36″ arms, 324# athletic but very raw

• EdgeX says:

In my view…

Stanley has a very high chance of going in the top 10
      Conklin has a very high chance of going in the top 25
      Germain Ifedi has a very high chance of being gone in the top 50
      Le’Raven Clark is a Day 3 prospect at best
      Dominique Robertson looks like a late Day 3 prospect at best.

I know a lot of people want the Pats to get an OT early in the draft this year but our chances of getting a “good” talented OT are not looking good. Out of the top 5 OT’s I see a lot of “projects” – and you don’t draft “projects” in the early rounds – you save that for the later ones (but hey! The Pats have 5 x 6th round draft picks – got to use them some way!)

More likely we pick up an OT early in the 2017 draft.

• GM-in-Training says:

EdgeX, I don’t disagree with your estimates of when those players will be drafted. However, the Pats draft potential starting tackles a year before they need them. With Vollmer and Solder done with their contracts after 2016, they need a very promising Tackle now. Remember that they drafted Solder a year before they thought Matt Light was going to retire.

• EdgeX says:

Fortunately Solder is actually under contract until the 2018 season starts. So for now we have him for the next 2 years.

Ideally I’d like the Pats to get a great OT prospect as well – just not sure I see where this year. To me there is a large drop of in talent after the first 5 OT’s this year. And I, for one, definitely don’t want the Pats to move up for an inferior prospect at OT to be 4th on the depth chart and ride the bench most of next year. To me that just doesn’t make much sense.

I will say that an interesting prospect that has caught my eye has been Max Tuerk – with Dante back – maybe the Pats will take a waiver on him in the late 3rd round and develop into RT replacement for Vollmer after this year?

After thinking on the OT problem I think EdgeX makes some strong points. There is a drop off after the first half dozen and unless BB trades way up in the 2nd it looks like Hawkins would be the best bet for us in this draft (2nd rd as is now). Given Mike’s assessment of him needing a year to get stronger and our two established starters he would make sense.

• Ryan says:

In my opinion, Tunsil, Stanley, Decker, Conklin, Whitehair, Spriggs and maybe Ifedi will all go round 1. Tackle is sparse and the good ones will not stick around.

• Russell says:

Shon Coleman Auburn could go on that list 6’5″ 307 lbs, 35 1/8″ arms 10 5/8″ hands Not as much experience as belichick likes but, his fight with cancer sounds alittle like Marcus Canonn. Very strong in the work-out room, high work ethic.

10. steve earle says:

Russell yesterday suggested BB might try to trade up in the 2nd using a 2nd ans a 3rd. I thought that could be possable and another thought presented was to trade up a 6th and 2x 7ths for a 5th. I decided to look at a mock of this kind. How’s this:
    2 mid 2nd) Sterling Shepard WR Ohio St ( high upside slot WR replace Amendola)
    2 # 61) Jerald Hawkins OT LSU ( upside LT/ swing T)
    3) Eric Murray CB Minn ( good 2nd CB, agressive vs run + pass)
    4) Willie Beavers OT W.Mich ( Replace Cannon, high upside/ insurance)
    5) Jatavis Brown LB/SS Akron ( fast even for SS, sub pkg’s + sp teams)
    6 comp) Antwion Williams OLB Geo So. ( strong backup depth/ developmental)
    6 comp) Devon Johnson RB/FB Marshall ( power runner inside/ comp for Devlin)
    6 comp) Devon Cajuste WR Stan. ( in spite of inj’s has good skills/ back up WR)

Rational: fills many needs/ depth, and clears some cap space.

• Jeff says:

I wouldn’t complain much if it broke this way, but I personally wouldn’t trade up for Shepherd. Also, The Pats LB and Safety positions have become pretty full at this point, so I think a 5th round prospect might have a hard time getting on the roster at those spots. Finally, the Pats lost their 4th rounder in the Bennett trade, unless they are getting one back as part of the trade up in the 2nd.

I respect your opinion Jeff but you probably by now know Shepard is one of my personal favorites and I believe he is another undersized impact player so I couldn’t possably not put him where I did. I do know I’ve been proved wrong more then right and this wouldn’t be a first if this is another. I just believe.

Oh right forgot we traded our 4th. Now I have to rethink the whole thing, LOL.

Okay Jeff I’ve thought about it awhile and my solution is just drop the 4th rd mock pick. As for safty and LB being pretty full I’m not as comfortable with them as you I guess. At Safty Harmon and Richards showed some potential but are unproven. What I like about Jatavis Brown is his speed and agression. He’s a bullet, sideline to sideline tackler. Undersized for a LB sure but BB was using a safty in the box so much it was almost a base defense. It could be argued a DTmight be a need but with a draft deep at DT lots of vet back up DT will become FA’s and not that many rookies at 5th rd can match up experance wise. And what if Chung gets injured, who plays in the box? At LB looks like 3 starters but Freeney Humber and King couldn’t use some competition? Love to get another blue chip DT or a 3 down RB but can’t get everything to fit under Russell’s scenario of trade ups.

• J H TARBORO says:

Like it a lot Steve E; good job!

• Dan Sullivan says:

Very good mock draft but I have a problem with letting go of Amendola. This guy
      played his heart out and made big catches and defenses knew he’d be getting the ball.
      He had a knack for getting open and having great hands. He has earned his salary greatly.
      Is this anyway to treat someone this talented waive him he makes too much. No he earned
      every cent that he gets paid. We know to well someone bigger faster younger doesn’t
      usually work its production and dependable that does. Brady, Belicheck, Kraft
      open your mouths and defend this guy and stop fighting this useless deflate gate everyone
      sees it was not right. Four picks in top 100 and coming of a great trade and free agency
      Pats are in a nice position.

We we all have our own views on things Dan. I see Amendola as a back up slot receiver. He’s a good not great receiver and his contract is way above where his value is. He plays with heart it’s true but still I see Sheperd from Ohio St as a cheeper upgrade and very possably a successor to Edelman. Just my opinion.

• Dan Sullivan says:

Fair enough Steve.

My latest mock Draft.
          2 Ryan Kelley C Alabama
          2 Kendall Fuller CB Virginia Tech
          3 Carl Nassib DE Penn State
          3 Jeremy Cash S Duke
          6 DJ Foster RB Arizona St.
          6 Nick Kwiatkowski ILB West Virginia
          6 Ryan Malleck TE Virginia Tech
          6 Alex Lewis OT Nebraska
          7 Geronimo Allison WR Illinois
          7 Hunter Sharpe WR Utah St.

11. Jeff says:

Thanks for the article – Hawkins to me has become the best tackle prospect within reach for the Pats, so I’ve included him in my mock.

Mock Draft:
    2: CB – Artie Burns
    2: OT – Jerald Hawkins
    3: RB – Jordan Howard
    3 (comp): DT – Javon Hargrave
    5 (Trade 2 6th rounders for a 5th): WR – Charone Peake
    6 (comp): CB – Cre’von LeBlanc
    6 (comp): TE – Darian Griswold
    6 (comp): DT – Nile Lawrence-Stample
    7: RB – Tre Madden
    7: QB – Nate Sudfeld

Free Agency:
    Cut Amendola for cap savings
    Cut Cannon for cap savings
    Sign CB Lewis-Harris (Bengals)
    Extend as many of Sheard, Collins, Hightower, and Butler as possible

TE: Griswold
    DE: Grissom
    DE: Johnson
    DT: Chris Jones
    DT: Lawrence-Stample
    DB: Cre’von Leblanc

My concerns are you keep Dobson and Easley two guys that have shown no ability to stay on the field. Bill may not want to give up on Easley yet but Dobson surly must have worn out his welcome by now?

• Jeff says:

Yeah Dobson’s fall into the category of one of the last five or so onto the roster, and I wouldn’t be surprised for him to be supplanted. If they want another body at tight end/wide receiver in this scenario though, your looking at a 6th round pick, Derby, Carter, Boyce, Harper, and undrafted free agents as the major competition for this spot. If you’re happy with less bodies there, maybe someone like Donald Brown, Jon Bostic, Geneo Grissom, or one of the late round picks would be good candidates to make the active roster. To me though, Dobson’s given you more production than Bostic or Grissom, Brown brings question marks with his age for his position, and the late-rounders are bonuses more than realistic projections.

Agree with most of your thoughts on WR’s except Dobson giving more production then whoever? He just can’t stay healthy, not his fault it just is. Bill got Hogan for the outside I believe leaving Edelman and Martin in the slot. you cut Amendola, I took Shepard as a complment to Edelman and Martin as a swing between slot and wide out, thinking it would give us the most dynamic passing threats, added Cajustu as the wild card hoping he stays healthy but at lower cost then Dobson.

• GM-in-Training says:

With Bennett you get more short and Intermediate production.
        With Dobson and Hogan you get more outside potential.
        Dobson has at least been around the system for a few years, and produced some when he was on the field his rookie year (4 TD?). He never dropped a pass in college. He has an upside.

If they haven’t moved him yet, they either think he could still get it together, or they want to use him to push other players, and maybe get a 7th rounder for him in the summer.

Your point about they not moving Dobson yet is a puzzle to me I just can’t see him taking up a spot on the roster when in all likelyhood he goes on IR again before Columbus day. All I can think is they want to pkg him in some kind of deal but who would take him given his history?

Here is my Trade-Mock;

Patriots trade #60 + #61 to Cleveland for #32. Then coach Belichick drafts;
    #32- OG/OT Cody Whitehair.
    #91- DT Austin Johnson
    #97- CB/S Sean Davis
    6th- LB Antwione Williams
    6th- WR Alex Erickson
    6th- DE Ronald Blair
    6th- QB Joel Stave
    6th- OG Jordon Walsh
    and two 7th round picks.

• acm says:

I like OL Whitehair for the Pats, a lot. However, I do have my doubts he falls that far in the draft – once the top 15-18 players are off the board, I think he would be sticking out like a sore thumb. For me he is the quite possibly the best OL-man after Tunsil in this draft.

As Malcom Brown taught us last year, nothing is impossible on draft day but I don’t feel comfy enough projecting Whitehair falling into the 2nd round.

Two other OGs I like for the Pats are Josh Garnett (Stanford seems to have become the new Rutgers) and especially Joe Dahl.
      Dahl should be there in late 2nd where Pats pick maybe even late 3rd too.

• Russell says:

I agree the more tape I watch of Whitehair the better I like this guy. Every scout thinks he’s an OG only, I disagree. At 6’4″ his arms are 32 3/8″ , Haeg’s arms are 33 3/4″ at 6’6″. To me I see TE type qualities in whitehair very quick feet, could be stronger, but he moves well had a great 3-cone drill time.
        Because he’s being targeted as an OG, I think he falls into the second. Spriggs on the other hand is good also, But because he’s listed as an OT I think he goes in the first round.
        I like Haeg too, but he looks to have a “soft” build to him.

• acm says:

If Pats had their 1st round pick, I think they would have gone for either Spriggs, Decker or Whitehair there. Spriggs reminds me of Nate Solder – an ultra-athletic developmental LT, while Decker is a Vollmer reincarnation and immediate starter at RT. Whitehair, otoh, could fill Mankins’ shoes.

I’m more comfortable with you other trade scenario of a 2nd and a 3rd to move up to mid 2nd. I used it as the bases of a mock (above) which I think addresses many of our needs and upgrades depth while increasing cap room.

Gave the website here a shout-out in one of my last articles at hope it helps! Dante Scarnecchia was at the LSU pro day looking at someone?

• Mike Gerken says:

Thank you! I hope that this site leads traffic to you as well.
      I think the Scar news was what prompted the conversation about Hawkins. I know a lot of people are infatuated with Le’Raven Clark, but to me, his lower body is such a mess. With Hawkins, its really the strength that has not allowed him to be more dominant. To me, there is more to work with in Hawkins that Clark. I have found I am in the minority though.

• Russell says:

I would not go for OT Clark at all…… I’m very interested in Cody Whitehair watch a lot of his tape. played R-L OT and OG. Most scouts list him as an OG, I’m not so sure, he has very quick feet. I think ROT may work well for him. Team Captain played, in over 50 games(Bill likes experience)
        Looks like he will be in the second round?

• Mike Gerken says:

Living in Kansas, I watched a lot of KSU games and I like Whitehair as well, but I think he has to kick into guard or maybe even center. He has really short arms and he even said in an interview he would prefer to play guard in the NFL. I think trading up for yet another guard would be a waste of draft capital and roster space.

• EdgeX says:

I second what Mr. Gerken said.

Remember the Pats just picked up Jonathan Cooper. Cooper, Mason, Jackson, Kline and possibly resign Wendell (do they even need him?). I don’t think a 5th or 6th guard makes much sense at this juncture.

After Tunsil, Stanley, Conklin, Decker, and Spriggs I see a HUGE drop off in OT Talent – by most accounts on mock draft websites these guys will be gone by the end of the first. If one these guys is available in the mid 30’s sure I would love it if the Pats moved up – but NOT for any of the other OT prospects.

The two positions I see the Pats moving up this year would be for WR (Josh Doctson, Tyler Boyd, Michael Thomas) or CB (William Jackson or Eli Apple) if available – these are the guys I would move up for.

And who knows – maybe the Pat’s get lucky and one of these guys falls – case and point with Malcolm Brown (didn’t see him dropping out of the top 15 last year) and Tre Jackson (saw a lot of draft sites pick Jackson in the 2nd round for the Pats and they got him in the 4th)

Those short arms Mike talks about probably limit Whitehair to inside so trading two 2nds would be foolish I think.

That somebody is likely Hawkins I’d bet.

• 2014 NFL Draft