Scouting Report: Bronson Kaufusi, DE

Kaufusi might not be a house hold name....yet.

Kaufusi might not be a house hold name….yet.

NEPD Staff Writer: Mike Gerken

I will admit that Bronson Kaufusi was a guy who I did not know very much about until Senior Bowl week. After I saw his measurements and the way he handled himself in practice, I wanted to learn more. I sat down and watched some BYU games over the past few days, and here are my impressions of Kaufusi.

Name: Bronson Kaufusi (#90)

School: BYU (Sr.)

Height: 6’7″

Weight: 281 Lbs.

Positives:

The first thing that jumps out about Kaufusi is his size. He is obviously very tall, but he also is well built for someone of his stature, with broad shoulders and a thin waistline. At the Senior Bowl, he measured in with just over 34″ arms and a 79.5″ wingspan, which is really good. On tape, you can see he plays the game with passion and an unrelenting motor, giving 100 percent on every play. He is strong at the point of attack and does a nice job setting the edge in run defense. Kaufusi is a former basketball player for BYU and you can see the athleticism on the football field. He did not look out of place when he was asked to drop into coverage. He is the son of a football coach and you can see he has been well coached and plays with good awareness. He has good burst at the snap and has a variety of pass rush moves to get after the Quarterback. Kaufusi has the size, length, power, and athleticism to play in multiple fronts and at multiple positions along those fronts. Despite his length, he plays with good balance and can move down the line of scrimmage quickly and smoothly.

Negatives:

Kaufusi does not possess the flexibility to be an elite edge rusher in the NFL. He is too stiff to get low and turn the corner to get to the Quarterback from the edge. He plays hard on every play, but as games wear on, he tends to play more upright. This allows offensive linemen to neutralize his length and get under his pads. While Kaufusi was asked to drop into coverage from time to time, I am not sure any team will want to do that on a regular basis as he lacks the quick movement skills to cover quicker receivers in space. Kaufusi is also an older draft prospect because he served a 2 year mission prior to college.

Overall:

You might be asking why I am scouting Defensive Ends when the Patriots seem fairly set at the position. I think it’s a real possibility that the Patriots either trade Chandler Jones this off-season or let him walk after his contract is up after next season. Kaufusi would fill that role very well. He has the size the Patriots look for and he plays the game with passion and a non stop motor.  The Patriots also value players who first and foremost can stop the run and Kaufusi does that very well. While he may not be an elite edge rusher, he has good pass rush moves and can get to the Quarterback. I think he could provide the same type of production Jones has over his time with the Patriots. With his size and athleticism, Kaufusi also brings some position flexibility which the Patriots also like. I am a big fan of Kaufusi’s game and if the Patriots have plans to move on from Jones sooner rather than later, then Kaufusi should be high on their board. He gets a solid Day 2 grade for me and could be in play at the end of round two.

P.S.-This is somewhat off topic but still draft related. I was thinking about how the NFL wants to discourage players from leaving school early. The problem is, with the new pay structure for drafted players, they really are playing for their second contract. If you leave school early and succeed, you get to that big payday earlier. Right now, contracts are capped at 5 years for first round players and 4 years for players in rounds 2-7. Why not have it so contracts for non-senior players drafted after round 1 be longer? This would detract student athletes from leaving school early. I personally don’t care that players leave early because I think in some cases, the draft needs that many early entries to have enough talent in the draft to help teams. What are your thoughts on something like this?

31 Responses to “Scouting Report: Bronson Kaufusi, DE”

1. rolando strada says:

any word on kaufusi kicking inside as 5 tech?

2. J H TARBORO says:

Another under the radar sleeper is senior WR Jehu Chesson-Mich. 6’3 205 who played behind Devon Funchess. Haubaugh gave him a bigger role this year and he became Michigan’s offensive MVP. Check him out!

3. J H TARBORO says:

Mike Gerken, Bronson kaufusi has similarities to BC’s Mehdi Abdesmed 6’7 287 who play as a DT/DL and who’s a absolute beast. He hasn’t received much love and hasn’t been talked about. BC’s team didn’t do well this season but their defense was talked about because of Mehdi. The Pats never seem high on BC players, why?

Pats do seem to have an aversion to BC and I can’t help but think it’s because Ol’ Billy Sullivan was so partial to BC players back in those days ( showing my age here) that the aversion to BC has lingered on. But really I think it’s more due to BB’s favering players coached by coaches he has greater regards for. I really can’t think of any other reason.

Patriots signed RB Montee Ball to a reserve/future deal.

5. J H TARBORO says:

2) DT Vernon Butler- LA. Tech
    3) WR Sterling Shepherd-Okla.
    3) OT John Theus-UGA
    4) CB Maurice Canady -Virginia
    5) SS Jayron Kearse-Clemson
    6) DE/OLB Victor Ochi-Stony Brook
    6) RB/TE/H-Back Devon Johnson-Marshall 6’1 250 ( powerback)
    7) RB/WR Dwayne Washington-UW 6’2 225 (all purpose back)
    7) FB/ST Soma Vainuku-USC 6’0 255-265 (true fullback)

• J H TARBORO says:

The 3 backs at the end of this mock would make the Patriots extremely dangerous, Devon Johnson the powerback, has played TE and FB. Dwayne Washington is a former WR with a RB skillset and at 6’2 225 has another gear when he’s moving and great hands. Soma Vainuku is the true blocking FB with good hands and speed for his size. Pair these guys with Dion Lewis, the Pats would be feared.

• Russell says:

Nice Mock! Not sure Vernon Butler will drop to the 60th pick, I think early 2nd round. Detroit is watching him, Ex Patriot Quinn.

Very nice mock I could live happly with it. Russell could be right about DT Butler but then we all believed Brown would never slide down to us last year. Matter of fact any player on any mock may go before he is slotted in any mock. But Jeeze I’d love to see Butler and Brown lined up side by side on our D-line.

MOCK update; I’m really set on my early picks, just movement as to were I draft them.

2nd- LB Joshua Perry
    Really like this prospect, fits very well into the Patriot coaching, intelligent, hard worker nice size 6’3+ 254 lbs, 10 inch hands, runs 4.64 40yd.
    3d- I’m Trading this pick to the Saints, for there 4th and 5th, (10th pick in each round)
    Compensatory pick
    3d- TE Nick Vannett
    Scott Chandler did not work-out, and TE Michael Williams worked well as a blocker/ extra OT. Time is now to get a young TE into the system. A.J. Derby ????
    From projected trade Saints pick;
    4th-CB Maurice Canady
    I think he was used wrong in the Virginia Program as an Off cover. A better man-up, hand fighter, that I saw in Senior bowl. Patriots need depth, Roberts looked good before IR.
    4th- OG/T Parker Ehinger
    This prospect is given a 4.9 score by the scouts, I disagree, a prospect with a lot of experience ,team captain, moves well, will need work, but nice size 6’5″+ 320lbs.
    From projected trade Saints;
    5th- OT Joe Gore
    Limited experience , but an athletic right tackle for Clemson. Has that TE body type, moves well needs work with hand use, and lunges sometimes. Good in run game uses good angles to the second level.
    From Houston
    6th- DE/LB Victor Ochi
    May be to late for this talented prospect, but I’m betting his small school holds him back some. A bit of a project not a true LB, and light for every down DE…A Ninkovich type.
    Compensatory pick;
    6th- WR Alex Erickson
    Again may be late, but a great looking prospect, who I think is the next Edelman type, very intelligent, sound route runner.
    From Houston
    7th- OL Tyler Marz
    He has dropped on draft boards, but I think he has skills.
    7th- DE Dean Lowery
    I like him a lot, 6’6″ 285 lbs played DE and DT , “Lunch Pail” type guy who works hard.
    Compensatory pick;
    7th- RB Keith Marshall
    Knee slowed his game chances to play, behind, Gurley, and Chub. Gem who maybe should be taken sooner? 5’11” 215 lbs. runs 4.45 40 yd.

• J H TARBORO says:

Nice mock Russell. I would try to shop C. Jones, B. Lafell, and Amendola.

• Russell says:

I would shop C.Jones, Lafell release (save 3 mil. cap) keep Amendola with a friendly contract.
        Draft a guy like Alex Dickerson to work behind Edelman, and Amendola. Get a guy like WR Mohamed Sanu and keep Chris Harper, Martin, to back him-up on the outside.
        Sign Hightower, Collins to new deals, draft a LB (Perry), cut Scott Chandler (2.5 mil cap saving) draft a TE to work behind/with Gronk.
        Mayo moves to LB coach (saves 11 mil. cap)

My bet is you see C. Jones traded to the 49ers, for a 2nd OR 3d + 5th draft picks.

• J H TARBORO says:

WR M. Sanu may have an expensive price tag but a good FA choice, my choice was WR Travis Benjamin-CLE. inside/outside WR who’s explosive, underrated, and cheaper!

• Russell says:

I like Benjamin as well, Sanu has added value as a runner,….jet sweep, end-a- round, wild-cat etc. I think Sanu good be 3.6 mil. a year, about what Lafell was getting.

I like this mock too. Also like the descussion between Russell and J H, both have strong points. I do kind of Like J H’s mock just a bit better because , well I’d love to see us get DT Butler and then WR Shepherd ( not a low round maybe he’s a Edelmen light guy) Shepherd will be a top notch impact receiver where ever he lands. Then too I’m really liking J H’s RB’s selection on day three. If I might suggest a couple UDFAs?

FA) Jakeem Grant WR/KR
      FA) Vernon Adams QB
      FA) LaQuan McGowan FB/TE/H-back?

• J H TARBORO says:

Steve E. I love it!!! Teams would fear the Pats just like they use to. We have the greatest QB, at his age, he shouldn’t have to work that hard and they’re weapons that won’t break the bank.

My thinking exactly. I’ve been advocating for a strong running game for the past couple years. Brady would be even more effective, he is one of the best at play action fakes of all time from past experance.

Hey J H, could you imagine on short yardage FB McGowan (410lbs) leading Johnson (250lbs)up into the inside? All kinds of play actions off that too.

7. J H TARBORO says:

Nice write up on Bronson, Mike Gerken. I like his size, and length. I’m watching tape as i write this.

• Mike Gerken says:

Well, what did you think?

• J H TARBORO says:

Bronson is better than I thought, when you watch him, he seems stiff and awkward at first but as you watch him more and more, you realise this kid is really athletic and he’s 6’7. He’s used everywhere on the defensive line and because of his length, he gets to the QB pretty fast .His basketball backround will have him playing in the NFl, for the next 10yrs.

8. Big W says:

Couldn’t disagree more about flexibility he played with quickness and enough agility to play back in a outside linebacker position and his dip around tackles is low enough for his inside hand to touch turf.Hell of a rebounder and one tough power forward in B’ball. On another note the NFL should be crucified in the media for not releasing PSI data, they were wrong mother nature and science have proven that. I hope the Media not just Boston media crucify Roger, this is outright lying by the commish should mean his job.

• Mike Gerken says:

I guess I just didn’t see it that way. When he dropped into coverage, it was simple drops into zones. His change of direction and stop start ability are lacking and that is fine. A guy that size will struggle with that. He is an athletic freak and he does get to the QB, but I didn’t see a guy who won consistently bending the edge. He won with his initial burst, power, and a nice variety of pass rush moves. Once he gets going, he has good speed.

• Russell says:

I agree with Mike, don’t see Kaufusi as a LB. Solid DE power rusher, very solid agains’t the run. NOT your speed edge rusher, that’s more Victor Ochi.
        I thing it’s hard to see Kaufusi on the board at #60, but maybe. Jacksonville has shown a lot of interest at #38 2nd round.

• Mike Gerken says:

It will be interesting to see where he goes and where Carl Nassib goes. Very similar players in terms of size and motor. Nassib has a bit more agility but not as much power and not as strong against the run. He also benefited from having 2 other highly touted players on that line with him and is a guy with one year of production.
          I think Nassib will be the first to come off the board with Kaufusi not far behind.

About your P.S.- I think that your idea would have the desired effect, but the problem is that the players’ union would seriously oppose that kind of team-friendly contract change. I think that it’s also fair to question why players with three years of schooling need to be kept from the NFL draft. I think that three years of schooling is legitimate for most players, unlike the one-and-done system in basketball, and there is no real need to discourage players from entering the draft after their junior year of schooling.

Basically, it’s an effective idea that would face opposition, but I don’t think it’s necessary at this point. More underclassmen than ever are declaring early, but all of these students have attended school for three years. I don’t see an issue with that, personally.

Check out my articles at footballnation.com, hit NFL teams, and Patriot logo.

I agree on Chandler Jones. His trade value is high now, and the DE position is easier to fill than losing Hightower of Collins. There just is not enough cap room. Remember DE Richard Seymore.
    I think the 49ers or Saints will take Jones for a 2nd round pick. You draft a player(s) for 4 years 2-7 round, at a lower cost. Letting him walk after this year gets you a 3d round Compensatory pick, NOT as good as a trade.
    Kaufusi sounds interesting, but available to the Patriots 2nd round??

I doubt the NFL will do anything to hurt the draft. The NFL only cares about the NFL, with king Goodell in charge.

12. steve earle says:

I like your description of this prospect and he sounds like the kind ov player who would thrive in BB’s system. Not a screeming need but I put him on my board anyway. Thanks Mike, never can look at to many talented guys imo.
    P.S. about your P.S. You just described the classic double edged sword.

• 2014 NFL Draft