Scouting Report: Leonte Carroo, WR

Could the Patriots look to add another player from Rutgers to their roster?

Could the Patriots look to add another player from Rutgers to their roster?

NEPD Staff Writer: Mike Gerken

Well, what can I say? Last weekends game was disappointing on so many levels, too many to get into right now. To me, it highlighted how important this off season will be for the Patriots. I know Brady had his struggles, but it was also one of his most impressive performances to date. To get back up so many times after getting pounded into the ground was unbelievable. Some of the throws he had to make were unreal as well. This team has some issues and they need to be addressed and fixed quickly if the Patriots are going to capitalize on the few years Brady has left.  One way they might be able to help him out is with some Receiver help, so to avoid any Super Bowl talk, I sat down and watched a bunch of Leonte Carroo, and here is what I saw.

Name: Leonte Carroo (#4)

School: Rutgers (Sr.)

Height: 6’1″

Weight: 202 Lbs.

Positives:

Carroo has an NFL ready body with a big frame.  He shows good burst when running in a straight line. He tracks the ball well and has amazing body control to make tough catches. Carroo also has great hands. He attacks the ball, snatching it out of the air rather than allowing it to get into his body. Carroo displays good footwork in his route running, never giving away his route due to his footwork. He also uses subtle movements with his head and upper body to set up defenders.

Negatives:

Carroo is not real explosive in and out of his cuts, rather he rounds of his routes because of tightness in his lower body. This makes it hard for him to create separation from defenders as well. Carroo also dealt with some off field issues, including a simple assault charge. Carroo is sort of caught in the middle from a measurables standpoint. He is not really a big, tall, down the field receiver and he is not the short, quick than fast type receiver either. Carroo has also dealt with some injuries over his career.

Overall:

Carroo was really the only play maker on a bad team. His Quarterback was terrible and Carroo consistently bailed him out with tough, contested catches.  His body control and hands are off the chart. He also is one of the more developed receivers coming out with his footwork and the subtle nuances to set up defenders. I could see him in a role similar to how the Patriots used Brandon Lafell last season. He is a possession type receiver that can move the chains.  He is from Rutgers, so you know he will be high on the Patriots board. The assault charge has to be looked at, but it was dismissed, so it may not be a huge deal. I think he is a top 100 guy in this draft and think he could be a nice fit in the 3rd for the Patriots.

52 Responses to “Scouting Report: Leonte Carroo, WR”

1. J H TARBORO says:

Mike, you are absolutely correct and I really appreciate all the info

2. Mike Gerken says:

I know a lot of fans want that big, tall, stretch the field type receiver for the Patriots, but I just don’t think the team feels the same way. Brady has never been a great deep ball passer and his comfort zone is in the short and mid range throws.
    Carroo fits that mold and I think that is why he is a Patriots type.
    Braxton Miller was another guy I thought could be a 3rd round target but he has been so impressive at the Senior Bowl with his athleticism that he could start to get 1st round buzz. I was hoping his lack of experience would push him down, but his talent is just too good to let him fall as far as I wanted

• J H TARBORO says:

As mentioned, I agree! I still believe we need a threat outside. A WR, I really like in the Pats offense is WR Jakeem Grant-Texas Tech 5’6 170 as a slot and outside WR. Coaches and fellow players says that he is one of the toughest players on the squad. He’s a quicker, and faster Dion Lewis with a WR body, he’s extremely allusive and explosive. I really think the Pats should take a late round flyer on this kid or priority free agent. I really don’t have a problem with his size, being small is his great caveat! Hope

You have a good eye J H, I have Jakeem down on my board, late rounds. Thing is he is “really small”. We would have to hope he would be smart enough to not take direct hits and as few as possable of any others. After that the kid is crazy fast and elusive. I could see our offense driving DC mad trying to cover Sterling Shepherd Rd2, Jekeem Grant Rd6, and a fully recovered Lewis at RB.

• J H TARBORO says:

Thank you Steve E., i wish some of Patriots front office brass could look at this page. I would love to sit room with Nick Casario, the Patriots personel director, to how he operates and think, also to find out his player and draft philosophy. The 3-4yrs. on NEPD has educated me about players, what teams look for in players, and the comment from others are enlightening.

J H, you have grown over the years for sure. Your one of our best.

• Ryan says:

The positives: Grant put up big numbers this year, he’s very fast, and he’s explosive (able to do a 6’1″ box jump).
        The negatives: He’s 5’6″ tall, weighs 170 pounds and his numbers were inflated by Mike Leach’s offense at Texas Tech.

He probably can’t line up outside and we have guys who can play the slot. He looks like an interesting UDFA to me, unless we have a bunch of late picks and want to take a shot.

• J H TARBORO says:

Ryan, thanks for the info and i respect your opinion, but Amendola, Lafell, and Dobson all suck! to be honest. I’m no Patriot “bobo” and i believe what i see, not what the media sells us. Over the last 2 drafts, we had a chance to get impact offensive players, but we didn’t. The draft for me last year was good and bad, to see players that would have made an impact here, that was suggested example RB David Johnson-N.Iowa or WR Stephon Diggs-Maryland and knowing i was right, killed me. I got 1 spot on DT Malcolm Brown!

I think you could be right that Grant could be a FA and his stats are inflated from the scheem at T.T. Still I penciled him into my 6th rd, box with six other possables. All depends on what we learn about others in the next few weeks I guess if he stays there.
          Also J.H. has a good perspective about the WR’s he notes in his reply to you. I expect those three are already on a bubble. As I’ve said before I don’t care if some kid doesn’t fit some measurable, can he get open and catch the darn ball?

• Ryan says:

JH, you’re no Dan Sullivan, but you do throw out a lot of names in the pre-draft process, particularly a lot of sleepers. It’s a good thing because it gets people talking about prospects that they’d probably miss otherwise, but of course you’re going to hit big on some prospects. We all do and we also miss a lot. Right now, I’m not sure Grant’s more than a great college player and I’d rather have some more height on our pass-catchers. Grant’s worth a look but I’m not convinced that he’s worth a draft pick. Hopefully he goes to the combine and puts on a show.

Steve earle, I’m mostly with you, but I doubt that LaFell, Amendola, and Dobson will all be gone next year. I think one of them probably hangs around, and if that player is Amendola then we have Amendola, Dion Lewis, and James White running short routes already. It’s not that Grant couldn’t add anything, but more that he might struggle to get consistent reps and find a place. I’m more open to adding an outside receiver such as Rashard Higgins, Devin Lucien, Geronimo Allison, Leonte Carroo, Tajae Sharpe and Jordan Payton in no particular order. If Amendola leaves and we don’t replace him, then I’d be willing to re-evaluate guys like Grant, Demarcus Ayers and Daniel Braverman.

Well yes Ryan I’m saying these guys are on the bubble, not gone and forgotten. All depends on our draft. If Bill was to pick a couple WR’s, say Shepherd and Grant or Cooper and McEvoy, then some bubbles could pop. Shepherd in particular could reasonable unseat Amendola. I don’t know how much of a cap hit it might cost but Amendola is a realistic tradeable guy so the hit might be mannagable. As for Dobson and LaFell, what have they done for us lately other then take up roster space? So I think J H is just stating what most consider a reasonable hypothisis at this point in time.
          I understand your position and if I thought we could find an outside 6′ something WR that will be an impact guy then fine I just don’t have much confidence in what I see right now. That could change but after that last game I’m thinking Bill should look to the o-line on a couple of our picks. Also we might be able to pick up a vet FA WR for that outside spot given our WR drafting history that might be the safe way to go.

• Nick Calabrease says:

The idea of brady never being a good deep ball passer is not something i agree with at all. Since, the patriots lost randy moss they havent had a WR like that could make a contested catch. We need that type of WR so that the defense has to respect that option. Plus edelman and gronk need that option because it will open up the field even more.

Friendly reminder that Play the Draft, a fantasy game based on the NFL draft, starts up again today. Lots of fun if you already follow the draft.

4. Todti says:

The scouting report reminds me a bit of Anquan Boldin who, by the way, is a FA. I haven’t seen any game of the 49ers this season because, well, they just weren’t interesting at all. So, I don’t know whether his reduced numbers are due to the team or due to his declining skills. However, I really liked him in his Ravens years and his play is not that dependent on his speed anyway. If he’s open for a smaller contract why not look what he’s got left?

The Patriots have VERY rarely drafted Olineman high, Solder was #17 they got in a trade for Seymor. Vollmer was a late second pick.
    Every College program has 8-10 Olineman on the roster, and many have quality skills, but are drafted later or undrafted.
    So don’t see a major change in that the Patriots will draft two Olineman this year, maybe a 3nd, and a 4th-6th.
    I would expect Belichick to trade our 3d pick to a mid-round drafting team for a 4th and 5th. Knowing he will have a compensatory 3d pick, and likely a 6th pick, maybe a 7th.
    Right now my later Patriots draft pick lineman is OC/G Kyle Friend, 4th or 5th (if my projected trade). I feel we need an OT type to groom at Right tackle, (vollmer’s last year?) Max Turek looks like a good choice, if the Patriots can get him.
    As far as WR goes, I think Belichick goes after free agent, Mohamed Sanu, cuts Dobson ( I wanted to last year) and draft a guy in the 5th-6th area.
    Also Belichick likes a 3d QB for training camp/pre-season, so I would be surprised if he drafts a guy to carry on the P-Squad next year. I like Joel Stave 6’4′ 220lbs in the 7th round.

6. J H TARBORO says:

I would take a look a the QB conversion guys like QB/WR Braxton Miller-Ohio St. or QB/RB/WR Keenan Reynolds-Navy because of their explosive playmaking abilities and their knowledge of the game from a QB prospective. New school Julian Edelmans’

7. J H TARBORO says:

If we were to go for big outside WR, if it was my choice, it wouldn’t be Caroo. If Belichick’s son didn’t go to same school, we wouldn’t be talking about him, no offence but no more RUTGERS!!! Knowing my luck, we’ll be looking at him late summer in camp.

• Ryan says:

Don’t worry; unless the domestic violence incident hurts Carroo big time he won’t fall to us in the third. Carroo is on here because he was a dynamic playmaking option the past two years, not because he’s from Rutgers. He’s definitely not 6’1″, but if he falls to us in the third he’s going to be one of the best wide receivers available.

8. steve earle says:

Hay Mike, Read that NFL is allowing teams to trade comp picks this year can you confirm that or is that unfounded spec? If so how do you see that effecting the draft in general and Pats in particular?

• Russell says:

NO trading Comp. picks until 2017.

Thanks Russell, first I’d heard of it. Think it will make much differance?

• Russell says:

YES I think it will be big!

• Mike Gerken says:

I think it will be big too. Belichick has already manipulated the system to aquire comp picks over the past several years. I think he will find them even more important with them as trade bait.
          Look for the Patriots to make in season trades on players in their final year of their contracts so he can let them go after and get comp picks for them.

@ Mike G, Great point Mike, I could see us with four or five comp picks year after year.

9. Jose Marques says:

My mock draft 2016:

2-Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State
    3-Artie Burns, CB, Miami
    3(compensatory pick)- Travin Dural, WR, LSU
    4-Alex Collins*, RB, Arkansas
    6- Josh Forrest, ILB, Kentucky
    6-(compensatory pick)-Theiren Cockran, DE, Minnesota
    7-Alex Barr, G, N.C. State

10. Joey NL says:

Any NEPD Staff member reporting from the Senior Bowl this week?

• Mike Gerken says:

Sadly, I don’t think so. It is something I would love to go to in the future though. Not only would it be fun, but an awesome learning experience as well.

11. Jose Marques says:

there may be an exchange for a choice of the first round? is possible?

I doubt it will be possable for us to move up to a 1st rd pick, it would just cost to much unless we trade away one of our key starters which is probably not a very good idea. Really other GM’s are not as dumb as they might sometime seem so none of them will give away their 1st’s for anything short of a small forutune.

• Jose Marques says:

and an exchange for a first round involving players, perhaps A.Dobson and Jerod Mayo and a choice of the draft?

Could be though Dobson won’t bring anything to a deal imo. I think it would take one of our top players and some draft picks to get another team to part with their 1st. Not sure it would really be worth it?
          In 20/20 hind sight I think Bob Kraft wishes he had fought the whole deflagate thing in the first place.

• Jose Marques says:

Yes i agree with u Steve.I also think I know the patriots had fought against the NFL might not have lost the first choice of the draft in 2016 and fourth in 2017 we should have followed the example of Tom Brady and we should have fought against Nfl

I don’t have many WR’s on my Patriots draft board, but I like Alex Erickson 6′ 197 4.54 40yd, and Geronimo Allison 6’3″ 197 4.54 40yd. I think Allison was in the Shrine game I did not see it however.

• Mike Gerken says:

Allison is another guy with really good hands and body control. Route running will be his big learning curve but he has some good tools to work with.

Agree, I only have 4 WR on my list of prefered picks only one in a top spot of a round. Also I’m somewhat disenchanted with guys who “fit with the prototype size” requirements that are left at the bottom the rounds where we normally get to pick. It’s unlikely we will get another Randy Moss anywhere below 1# 10 imo. Rather take a 5-10 burner with proven route running ability and impact production. Bill could do gerat things with that kind of guy. Providing our O-line can block.

Not a big fan of Carroo, tho I feel WR Dobson is down the road. The Patriots need a WR outside the numbers, and Lafell is either not healthy or in the dog house.
    Mike did you see the NFLPA bowl? How about OLB/SS Jatavis Brown 5’11” 220lbs runs a 4.52 40yd avg. time best time is 4.46 ! He’s from a smaller program but had 108 tackles last year, side line to side line, POW tackler!!

• Mike Gerken says:

What don’t you like about Carroo? If Dobson and Lafell are gone (which I think is a real possibility) a possession guy like Carroo would be a good fit. I have seen some 2nd round talk for him and that’s a bit rich for me. I like him more in the 3rd. His hands and his control is really good though.
      I watched the NFLPA game last night and sure enough, Brown’s name was one that I wrote down as a guy that flashed for me. Could be a late pick to fill that hybrid role. I want to see more of him if I can find tape.

• Russell says:

Rookie WR’s just don’t do well in the Patriots system for a year or two. Drafting a WR is likely, just not early (IMO). Carroo’s off field issues, send-out maturity issues red flags , tho the guy has skills, he is 5’11″+ and not ideal height out side the numbers.
        I think coach Belichick will target a free agent like Mohamed Sanu 6’2″ 210 and draft a prospect like Alex Erickson 6th round.
        Looking back; Aaron Dobson was not on my Patriots draft board, I had targeted Markus Wheaton.

• J H TARBORO says:

Russell, i respect the fact you mentioned rookie WRs don’t do well here in their 1st year because of the Pats system, but is that the player or an indictment of coaches not doing their jobs, after a while thats get annoying, such a complex offense, yet pedestrian talent, that needs to change, it seems to be system over talent. I really wonder does Belichick care about Brady ever getting a top WR, knowing Brady is in the last stretches of his career or are we masking the deficiencies of future H.O.Famer! I feel like we stepped back to 2012 this year, we lost our mojo when Edelman went down and Brady wasn’t the same, sounds familiar, Welker was a ” binky” and Edelman is too, word to Brady ( learn to get others involved or your offense will be limited, as we found out Denver!)

• Russell says:

@JH Tarboro, I think the patriots offense is not set-up to throw outside the numbers any more then say, 10-15% of the passing game. Rookies have a lot to lean with the intricacies of the Patriots offense. Also Brady spends more time in the passing game 85% with Slot receivers, TE’s and Backs. I think a year in the system helps a player like Chris Harper, or K. Martin at the WR spot. Also a guy with NFL experience like Mohamed Sanu may be a great pick-up if available.

I remember you had Wheaton and when I checked him out agreed and had him high on my board too. Bragging just a bit, we were right!!!!!

• J H TARBORO says:

Rusell, i see you like FA M. Sanu, i had similar thought, i like WR and FA Travis Benjamin- Cle. Browns Inside/outside WR, extremely fast, and dangerous as a KR.

@ Russell I think J H makes some good points and also your explanation makes sense. Still I’m not convinced we should not or will not go WR in our 2nd, Bill is so unpredictable and everything depends on how the draft unfolds. Plus too what the plans are for resigning our own FA’s or not. After what we saw Sunday it looks to me that OT and WR are in needs of help and sooner rather then later so until we see Bill gut our current def I’m sticking with an Offense scenario.

• Russell says:

Just listened to interview with Carroo,…. personality sounds like Dez Bryant to me, skilled player but not in New England.

Followed you lead on Brown. Impressive numbers, my question can he convert to SS do you think?

• Russell says:

Most teams in the NFL are going to a smaller, quicker LB at least one of the 3 in a 4-3 D. Coach Belichick is already doing this some with extra S’s on the field. Jatavis Brown is the best of both worlds, running a 4.52 40yd, and is best time was 4.46.
        Mostly Brown is Mocked in the 7th ??? I’m thinking 4th to get him. He interviews well, intelligent, instinctive (hard to teach). He has limited tape but looking into him, a very sound prospect, with special teams upside.

• J H TARBORO says:

To Steve E. and Rusell, i watched the NFLPA Bowl and was impressed with LB Jatavis Brown, my question is, did anyone watch the East/West Shriners game? 1 guy popped on screen all day long, remember the name LB Victor Ochi-Stony Brook 6’2 246 he was relentless, had tremendous get off, a crazy motor, and coaches all week in practice were mentioning that it’s something special about this kid.

• Russell says:

yes I like Ochi very much, quick, works hard every play, similar to DE Kevin Dodd off the edge. Don’t know about dropping into coverage however. Worth watching looks like 4-5th round right now.

Me too J H, this would be the 1st guy ever drafted from Stony Brook and he looks good to me. I have him in my 6th round box.

• Mike Gerken says:

Ochi has really long arms as well which helps him a lot. I actually like his frame. He plays with a low center of gravity which allows him to turn the corner quickly and the long arms help him get seperation from the tackle as well as getting the QB.
          The run game is the concern. Even at the NFLPA game he struggled against run blocking. A pass rush specialist but could be a nice day 3 value. I think 6th round would be a target range for him.

• 2014 NFL Draft