2015 NFL Mock Draft: Mike Gerken

What name (if any) will Roger Goodell announce as the newest Patriot on Thursday night?

NEPD Staff Writer: Mike Gerken

It is so close! In just two days Roger Goodell will walk out on to that stage in Chicago to a mixture of cheers and boos to officially open the 2015 NFL draft and put the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on the clock. Here is how I think Friday night might go down.

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Jameis Winston, QB: I think it is pretty clear who TB is planning on taking.  Enough has been said and written about this pick that nothing I say will be ground breaking.

2. San Diego Chargers- Marcus Mariota, QB: There has been a lot of buzz about this potential trade, so I will run with it.  Tennessee gets Rivers and San Diego’s second round pick.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars-Dante Fowler, Edge: Jags need desperate help from a pass rusher. They have enough interior guys that they can pass on Leonard Williams

4. Oakland Raiders-Leonard Williams, DT:  Raiders add another stud defensive player to line up next to Mack. WR is an option, but in a deep draft, they can afford to wait

5. Atlanta Falcons-Vic Beasley, Edge: Falcons fear they could miss out on the pass rushers if they stay at 8. Beasley fits in well with Quinn’s defensive scheme.

6. New York Jets-Bud Dupree, Edge: It hurts me to put Dupree here, but he gives the Jets some much needed pass rush help

7. Chicago Bears-Kevin White, WR: Bears get their choice of the WR’s and go with White who should fill the void that was left when Marshall was traded.

8. Washington Redskins- La’el Collins, OT: A shocker that Collins is the first O-lineman off the board, but he can step in and play RT day 1.

9. New York Giants- Andrus Peat, OT:  While not a sexy pick, they Giants need some help to stabilize that offensive line.

10. St. Louis Rams- Brandon Scherff, OG: The Rams continue the run on offensive lineman. With good QB play, the Rams could be dangerous.

11. Minnesota Vikings- Amari Cooper, WR: The Vikings give their young QB a great weapon.

12. Cleveland Browns- DeVante Parker, WR: The Brown’s needed to add talent at the position with Gordon gone

13. New Orleans Saints- Randy Gregory, Edge: Gregory makes a personal phone call to Shane Ray to take the heat off his off field issues. Saints need pass rush help desperately.

14. Miami Dolphins- Todd Gurley, RB: Dolphins have been very active in free agency, leaving them few holes. Gurley takes some pressure off their QB and makes them more balance on offense.

15. San Francisco 49rs- Arik Armstead, DE: Justin Smith may retire and Armstead is built in the same mold. He is raw, but the physical traits are intriguing

16. Houston Texans- Breshard Perriman, WR: Texans need to help their QB, whoever that will be and they need to replace Andre Johnson

17. San Diego Chargers- Melvin Gordon, RB: Getting a young QB and RB in the same draft worked pretty well all those years back, why not do it again.

18. Kansas City Chiefs- Cameron Erving, OL: Chiefs lost Hudson if FA and Erving is the best of the class. He also has flexibility to play the other 4 spots if need be.

19. Cleveland Browns- Danny Shelton, DT: Shelton fills a huge need and is a perfect fit for the Browns defense

20. Philadelphia Eagles- Trae Waynes, CB: Waynes has size and speed which Chip Kelly will love in his defense.

21. Cincinnati Bengals- Shane Ray, Edge: Bengals have a history of taking troubled players with talent.

22. Pittsburgh Steelers- Marcus Peters, CB: Steelers get, well…..a steal

23. Detroit Lions- Malcom Brown, DT: Brown plays a similar style to Suh and should plug in day 1

24. Arizona Cardinals- Byron Jones, CB: The Cardinals add another physical freak to an already scary secondary

25. Carolina Panthers- Ereck Flowers, OT: They have avoided getting help along the offensive line for long enough

26. Baltimore Ravens- Devin Smith, WR: Smith plays right into Flacco’s strength and could be a big play threat from day 1.

27. Dallas Cowboys- Kevin Johnson, CB: yet another corner is off the board. Johnson is a great fit for the scheme and is insurance if Scandrick holds out

28. Denver Broncos- Maxx Williams, TE: They lost Thomas in FA. Williams could thrive in the Broncos system

29. Indianapolis Colts- Landon Collins, SS:  The Colts could use a physical presence in that secondary that can come help against the run

30. Green Bay Packers- Jalen Collins, CB: Packers lost 2 key players from the secondary and need help. Collins is raw but has huge upside

31. New Orleans Saints- Devin Funchess, WR/TE: They traded away their best offensive weapon, but Funchess could come in and play a similar role

32. New England Patriots- The Board has been decimated at CB and WR. I cannot see BB wanting to take the 5th best corner or 6th wide receiver, although Agholor is still on the board and could be an option.

If this is how things played out, I would think the Patriots would be looking to trade out of this pick.  If they get stuck here, the names I am considering are: Shaq Thompson, A.J. Cann, T.J. Clemmings, Owamagbe Odighizuwa(didn’t even have to look up how to spell it) Jordan Phillips, Nelson Agholor and Jake Fisher.  My heart says take “diggy” but my head says take Shaq Thompson

Patriots 7 round mock:

#32-Shaq Thompson, LB/S: I think that Thompson could come in and be a swiss army knife on defense. He can play in multiple positions in all situations. I think BB would love to have a guy he could be this creative with while adding depth at linebacker and safety.

#64-Quinten Rollins, CB: Rollins is raw and may not be able to start right away, but he has a ton of potential and could develop into a special player.

#96-Ali Marpet, G: I know most think he will be gone by here, but I think in reality teams will be wary of taking this guy much higher than this.  Although the physical and athletic traits are there, he will need time to adjust to the strength and speed of the NFL.  Remember back to Eric Fisher, the #1 overall pick by the Chiefs. His story and Marpet’s are very similar except Marpet is making a much bigger jump than Fisher.  Fisher has struggled so far and I think Marpet could do the same. If we don’t take a guard until this point, I think Dan Connelly should be resigned.

#97-Marcus Hardison, DT: Hardison is bigger defensive tackle that has great pass rush ability. He needs to get stronger against the run, but paring him with Easley could make for a very scary defensive front.

#101-Ty Sambrailo, OL: I think it is in the realm of possibility that the Patriots double dip at the offensive lineman position again this year. Sambrailo has a similar body type to Vollmer and Soldier and has potential to play tackle in the NFL with some development.  He has the versatility to play guard as well.

#131-Mike Davis, RB: The Patriots looked long and hard at the smaller, stockier runningbacks in this class.  Last year, Davis looked like he was on his way to being a high draft pick, but he wasn’t as consistent this year as last.  Some have questioned his work ethic while others speculated he took the Clowney route and was playing to not get hurt.  If this is true and he can return to his 2013 form, this will be a steal.  He is a tough runner with really good hands out of the backfield. He can play on all 3 downs and be a threat when plays to his potential.

#177-DeAndre Smelter, WR:  Smelter is a big target with good hands and great body control. He has big play ability, great hands, and wins contested catches consistently.  He is coming off a major injury and played in a run first offense in college, so his stock is up in the air.  He needs technique work on his route running.  He can be a real asset as a run blocker downfield.

#219-Garry Peters, CB: The Patriots double dip again, this time at corner. Peters is a physical corner who loves to hit.  He plays with a chip on his shoulder and has good movement skills to turn and run with receivers.  He doesn’t have elite speed and he is a bit grabby, but he is a competitor who puts in the work and might surprise as a late round pick.

#253-Deion Barnes, Edge: Barnes has been somewhat of a disappointment after putting up big numbers as a freshman at Penn State.  He has good size and fluid movement, but he is undisciplined in his technique and needs time in an NFL strength and conditioning program.  He could develop into a pass rusher and has the athleticism and movement skills to play some OLB in a 3-4 as well.

41 Responses to “2015 NFL Mock Draft: Mike Gerken”

1. ashley says:

Hoping we are able to get some help along both lines and also at CB. I am thinking we will probably trade out of the first round and pick up extra picks where there seems to be more value. Looking forward to the draft!!!!

2. hdpaulie says:

I would prefer the Pats trading out of the 1st, with the ultimate goal of snagging as many 2-3 rd picks as possible, by trading up also. MY ideal draft would be for Pats to draft OT/OG type ( Jake Fisher ) and a pure guard, ( Cann or Jackson ) in rds 2- 3. Somehow find a way to package picks and players ( Logan Ryan ) to be in position to draft DT Hardison and LB Dawson, Perriman or Anthony. I feel any combination of players in those 4 positions would be a pretty successful draft in of itself. If the Pats can’t find a taker for # 32 they have the flexibility to take the BPA. Whoever that may be it would be a really good player. With all 3 AFCE rivals having imposing pass rushers to come after TB, I feel it’s important to get at least 2 OL early to protect TB.

3. KNOWLEDGE says:

Everyone needs to stop with the need to draft a 330lb fat body like Goldman that is going to be a 2 down player. You can get a big boy in the 3rd or 4th round. The only DT’s I would draft in the 1st round are Malcolm Brown and Arik Armstead (not including Big Cat Williams). If Brown is there at 32, jump on him. He is a versatile DT that can penetrating and also hold his own when double teamed.

Here is my Mock Draft (Final)
    1st round. Trade pick 32, #177, 2016 5th round pick to Dallas for pick #27
    #27 Nelson Algholor WR – Versatile playmaker that can play on the outside, slot, out of the backfield, excellent hands, great running after the catch, great route runner with excellent double moves and has great awareness of where the first down is and can find pockets in the zone. Good downfield blocker with exceptional return skills as a punt returner and on kickoffs. Can step in immediately and catch 70 passes for 1000 yards. Dallas is looking to address their defense, specifically at the LB position and I think they feel Erick Kendricks from UCLA will be there at 32 and can pick up a couple free late rounders.

#64 Tevin Coleman- The Pats roster doesn’t have a legitimate starting RB and haven’t had an explosive back since 2004. Corey Dillon made Brady’s jobs much easier. With a guy like Coleman that rushed for over 2000 yards and 15 TD’s on an awful team in a tough conference. He led the nation in runs over 30, 40, 50 and 60 yard runs. At 5’11 208, with 4.35 speed, he has the ability to take a a basic off tackle run and take it 70 yards for the score. He also has above average hands and can lower his shoulder and be a 3 down back.

#96. Tre Jackson G- Big, physical guard that can start as a rookie. Great value in round 3 and will certainly help add strength up the middle, especially if Connelly is resigned.

#97. Denzel Perryman LB-. With Mayo only having on a year deal, Perryman combines great instincts and the ability to cover sideline to sidelines better than any other LB in the draft.

#101 Denquez Golson CB- 1st team All American and SEC, exception production with 10 INT’s and 16 passes broken up. Elite ball skills with fluid hips. Has a knack for finding the ball and reading the QB. Not afraid to gamble and jump routes. Lacks size at 5’9 180 and can struggle with large receivers. Can be a starting corner, and excels in zone due to his ability to anticipate routes which is a big reason he was so productive. Can contribute as a nickel corner as a rookie. Good value here.

#131. Marcus Hardison DT- Hardin is the type of DT that I feel the Pats will be looking for. They want guys that can get in the backfield and be disruptive.

#219 Blake Bell TE- 6’6 265, athletic with raw ability. Could be used in goalie and redzone either as a decoy with two 6’6 TE’s on the field he could either take some attention from Gronk or get a friendly matchup on a safety and use his size to go up and get it. Raw with big upside in 2-3 years.

#253 BJ Finney OC/G- Always good to have an experienced center that can add interior depth

FA: Michael Dyer RB- Most remember him as the explosive Freshman RB that helped Cam Newton and Auburn win a national title. But he was at Louisville the past 2 years and he is still explosive. Poor man’s Reggie Bush

• Paul43 says:

WR and RB in the first 2 rounds? I hope not. I can’t understand why do we need those guys so high? For 2015 I think we are ok in these groups, from the 4th round ok, but before?

The other thing what I can’t understand is Armstead. In the last 2-3 weeks I read that he is a top 15 player and if he will be there at #32 Pats should select him. The guy is the same one, who got after the Combine a lot a of negative words, that he is athletic, but that’s all and in best case he is a 2nd rounder. How could he prove in the last few weeks, that he is so good player? How come this trust from people? What’s happened after the Combie?

• KNOWLEDGE says:

In the first two rounds, teams that draft for need instead of drafting the most talented player on the board are the teams that are consistantly the teams picking in the top 10. I am still fuming from when the Patriots passed on Dez Bryant who was the best offensive player in that draft and a future HOF WR.

The player that fills a need and will be a pro bowler is Marcus Peters. I think he is the best CB in the past 2 drafts. I will have no problem moving up 10 spots to grab him. I also would move up 5 spots for Malcolm Brown. But I think they won’t be there. So instead of watching a very good WR get drafted elsewhere and draft a less talented player in a position of need. Brady covers up a ton of holes in this offense that go unnoticed because he is so great. But with him getting older, we have to take some of the load off him by infusing young talent at WR and a RB that can help them open things up in the passing game and give you a big play threat. This also makes Gronk and Edelman more room to do their thing and add years to their career.

As for Armstead, he is an enigma to me. With his height and frame he reminds me of Chris Canty. At 6’6 290, he is a physical specimen. But his production and he can be invisible at times for an entire game. I wouldn’t draft him until late 1st round. Him and Jordan Phillips are similar and I actually think if drafted in the 2nd round and takes advantage of a full time NFL training program and is motivated then he can turn into a really solid DE in a 3-4 or 3 technique in a 4-3. But I feel both players belong between pick25-50

• hdpaulie says:

I wouldn’t have thought a Pats draft that opens with WR and RB in the 1st 2 rds could be any good. I was wrong. Great mock. I only disagree slightly with your statement that Perriman has instincts and covers better sideline to sideline better than any LB in the draft. After watching tape on Paul Dawson, I believe his instincts and ability are at least equal to Perrimans. I’m ok with Perriman, but if given a choice I’d take Dawson. I would be thrilled if your mock played out that way.

4. Brian says:

Thanks for all the hard work this draft season Mike. I truly enjoy coming to this site and reading all the reports and comments from all the posters. As for the list, I was glad to see you had DT Terry Williams included. He’s a player I’d like to see made a high priority free agent or take a flyer on in the 7th. Although I have seen him listed as short as 5″11, he is fairly athletic for such a heavy man and if he could get his weight down to the 330lb range. Could be a contributor subbing in for Siliga or on goal line packages. I do have DT as a higher priority than most on his sight, mainly because I don’t trust Easley’s and Siliga’s durability or Alan Branch not being a camp cut. However unless Malcom Brown falls to 32, I don’t see many attractive options for the remaining DT’s until you get to the later rounds.

Now for the Quentin Rollins choice. I do like him as a player, his potential at the position, and his ball skills. But upon further evaluation I think Quentin hurt his stock with how much muscle mass he gained in the draft season. His highlights the past season had him at I believe a more natural playing weight which helped him better mirror receivers. At the combine he seemed to look quite stocky though and that might have affected his agility numbers and 40 time. Which is also why teams are scouting him as a safety now instead of corner.

In the end I think we stay away from the cornerback position until the 4th round where we grab Ifo Ekpre Olomu. Barring Byron Jones making it to 32.

I’m quite excited for tomorrow but am trying to manage my expectations. This year is quite tough to predict with how much parity there is in the 20-50 pick range. Which is why I hope we can manage two picks in that range and possibly snag a couple of solid starters.

With that in mind I think our options for the 32nd pick will be between:
    Malcom Brown DT Texas
    DJ Humphries OT Florida
    Nelson Agholor WR USC
    Melvin Gordon RB Wisconsin

Out of that list many people will say those guys won’t be available. However I think we get surprised by New Orleans taking a Qb at 31, possibly Garret Grayson. And a run on OT’s in the late 20’s. It may be hopeful thinking that Malcom Brown makes it to 32, but it’s possible that teams see him as a solid but not spectacular player with a low ceiling. If he does make it there I hope we take him but my gut feeling is that we take DJ Humphries and play him as a guard year one then groom him to take over for Vollmer. Although I think Agholor could also be a high priority with all the chatter we have been hearing.

For my mock draft here is who I think we take.
    1st- DJ Humphries OT Florida
    2nd- Stephone Anthony ILB Clemson
    3rd- Sammie Coates WR Auburn
    3rd- Tre Jackson OG FSU
    4th- Ifo Ekpre Olomu CB Oregon
    6th- Matt Jones RB Florida
    7th- Leterrius Walton DT Central Michigan
    7th- Tray Walker CB Texas Southern

As for my binkies of this draft class I have Danny Shelton, Todd Gurley and Danielle Hunter. Years previous were Robert Quinn, which hurt to watch go 3 picks before us, Star Lotulelei and Zack Martin.

5. Dylan says:

Pats trade back from 32 for mid 2nd and 3rd rounders…. Get in the “sweet spot” in the middle rounds while adding a pick.

2a. A.J. Cann
    2b. Grady Jarret
    3a. Duke Johnson
    3b. Marcus Hardison
    3c. Kwon Alexander
    4. Mark Glowinski
    6a. Troy Hill
    6b. Iberhem Campbell
    7. Malcom Brown

Pats love to double dip, doubt that trend changes now.

6. mattt says:

Thompson is a good pick; big upgrade to Chung, our worst starter. SS position is more important now without Revis.

• MM-II says:

Actually, I thought Chung was pretty good last season. He really helped shore up the run-D after Mayo went down, and Chung’s coverage was the best I’ve ever seen from him. Unlike his previous stint with the Pats, he wasn’t gambling or freelancing – he was playing his assignments and rarely out of position. He did get beat a little more often than I would’ve liked, though not really any more frequently than most everybody else, but he wasn’t flat-out blowing coverages the way he used to, either.

That said, I certainly think it would be a good idea to acquire a young guy to develop this year behind him and as competition for Harmon and Wilson. I don’t think it needs to be a guy they take at #32, though, and I definitely wouldn’t go with Thompson for that purpose.

• mattt says:

Chung wasn’t terrible last year, but he’s still a small, slow SS who struggles to tackle anywhere but right at the line. Without Revis and Browner, he’ll be exposed as the bottom-tier safety he was a couple years ago.

Wild cards for the Patriots in this draft is a long list IMO;
    DT Eddie Goldman
    RB David Johnson
    LB Benardrick McKinney
    OL Hoiss Grasu
    OLB Lorenzo Mauldin
    CB Josh Shaw
    OL B.J. Finney

• MM-II says:

“Long list”, INDEED!

As I posted in an earlier thread, this is one of those drafts where I’m having difficulty outright eliminating very many prospects from contention. It seems like they should end up with three or four very solid players almost no matter who they pick.

Does anyone know if ESPN will be caring th Draft ? Or just NFLnet work.

9. MM-II says:

If the Pats are looking to trade down from the #32, here are some deals that work out, mathematically. I’m not at all considering WHY any of these teams might want to move up, just the math angle and whether the potential trade partners seem to have the ammo (and no particular grudge against the Pats).

ATL: 42 + 73 (705) -> 32 + 96 (706) – Atlanta has 8 picks, including #8 overall.
    CIN: 53 + 85 + 120 (589) -> 32 (590) – Cinci has 9 picks, including 2 comps.
    CLE: 43 + 72 + 202 (687) -> 32 + 101 (686) – CLE has 10 picks (plus Haslam r an idjit).
    HOU: 51 + 82 + 195 (584) -> 32 (590) – HOU has 10 picks, including 3 comps.
    JAX: 36 + 103 (628) -> 32 + 131 (631)
    KCY: 49 + 80 (600) -> 32 + 219 (595) – KCY has 10 picks; Andy & Bill tradition.
    MIN: 45 + 76 (660) -> 32 + 131 + 178 (662)
    OAK: 35 + 140 + 221 (590) -> 32 (590) – Hey, it’s the Raiders.
    SFO: 46 + 79 (635) -> 32 + 131 (631) – SFO has 9 picks, including 2 comps.
    TBY: 34 + 162 (588) -> 32 (590) – Leapfrogging only the Titans?
    WAS: 38 + 105 + 222 (608) -> 32 + 178 (611) – Snyder. Nuff said.

• Russell says:

Good info thanks! The K.C. deal is the one that sounds the best,given K.C. want’s a WR like Strong or Geen-Beckham, that will very likely be gone at #49 in the second. Given they draft OL Cameron Erving (VERY Likely) at #18.

• MM-II says:

Our motto: “We do the math so that you don’t have to!”

Anyway, I agree that the KCY deal seems the most LIKELY. However, I kinda like the idea of trading down to #36 (JAX) or #38 (WAS) since it might then be possible to trade down from there another few spots while adding picks that would make it easier to trade up from #64 or up from #96 or even to add a third 2nd-rounder.

Ending up with three 2nds + two 3rds + four or five 7ths (for PFAs) would seem like a pretty good result.

• Russell says:

I’ve looked a possible trades to get into the second round, and don’t see many good looking deals. I do however feel BB could trade #96, #101, #178 to Jacksonville for #67, and be as good as in the second round.

Patriots Mock 2015; no trades;

#32- Laken Tomlinson OG, IF OL Cameron Erving or Eli Harold are here they could go at #32.

#64- Charles Davis Tull OLB , IF Eric Rowe is available here he is the pick.

#96- Kenny Belll WR, Best fit for the Patriots at WR IMO.
    #97- Xaiver Williams DT, I the Patriots get Rowe at #64, then this pick would be Davis Tull.
    #101-Anthony Chickillo DE , If gone (unlikely) I would go Henry Anderson.
    #131- Adrian Amos S Chung’s replacement in the future.
    #177- Rob Haverstein OT Maybe gone this late, but future ROT .
    #219- Karlos Williams RB/S Some past red flags but IMO alot of value.
    #253- Brey Cook OL

I also feel DT Shelton goes to Chicago, LB Kendricks to Arizonia, and Goldman will be gone before #32 Detriot ?

12. MM-II says:

Fun Draft Factoid:

TEN of the TWELVE 2014 playoff teams received compensatory picks for the 2015 draft (only Dallas and Detroit missed out).

ONLY FOUR of the 20 non-playoff teams received comps:
    – KCY (4)
    – HOU (3)
    – SFO (2)
    – STL (1)

IF the draft board plays out the way Mike Gerken would suggest, I see BB taking OLB Eli Harold. My full league Mock has Harold going to Baltimore, but on my Patriot board, Tomlinson, Erving, Harold, are my 1st round pick suggestions.
    I like the over-all mock fairly well, But doubt Denver takes a TE. I have S.D. trading with the Jets, sending Rivers there, for #6. With Rivers and Revis the Jets sell out thier stadium for the season.
    I wonder if Mariota does not fall to #6 that S.D. maybe looking at another QB, later in the draft, BUT most likely takes one of the RB’s Gurley or Gordon. I have Gordon going to Jacksonville to help QB Bortles with a franchise RB.
    As for the Patriot draft, NO-Way BB takes DT Phillips (likely bust)and of course Davis Tull is a must!! :0) If Eric Rowe should drop out of the 1st round, BB may make a trade to get him.
    If BB tades back, as I’ve said before K.C. is the partner for #49 and #80. K.C. uses #32 to get a WR. (Strong ?)

14. Jim R says:

I think the pats will take Odighizuwa, using the Easley logic. Top 10 talent with a medical issue

15. Paul43 says:

@Mike Gerken: Could you please tell me why would you pick at 32. Shaq Thompson over Eddie Goldman? For me it is really interesting, that people forget Goldman. I think he could be a really good pick at 32. Thanks.

• Ryan says:

I personally don’t think of Goldman as a 1st-rounder because he is a great run-stopper who is lacking against the pass. We need a guy in the middle who can help pressure the QB because we seriously lacked that this year. I don’t take measurable a into account too much for DTs, but his were not great. Overall, I think he’s worth a 2nd-rounder.

• Paul43 says:

I understand what you write Ryan. But I don’t think, that pass-rush would be the most important thing for a NT. And I see Goldman as our new NT (or our next Wilfork). Wilfork wasn’t that huge inside penetrator as well, he played two-gap, he destroyed the pocket and made tackles behind the LOS. On that limited videos what I saw about Goldman I saw he could handle this type of role.
        For the inside pass-rush we have Chris Jones, Branch (maybe), Easley (hopefully he can show what he can do), and Chandler Jones could play inside as well.
        I like Siliga, but as I know he was RFA and next year he can be an UDFA, so we need a big boy who could be a rotatiobal player next to Siliga and after Siliga can play as a starter. For me he is Goldman.

• carlo strada says:

Due to the recent losses at the secondary Patriots will need to bring all the pressure they can up front. so i definitely agree with the people that say that investing a 1st rounder on an exclusively run stopper is not good deal (anywhere you look at it). I d rather taking Tyeler Davidson later, not only because of value (3rd/ 4th round ) but because he s a better athlete than Goldman.
          Davidson is able to play either 1gapping as well as 2 gapping, so at the end of the day Pats could bring not only that anchor you mention, but also a disruptive player in case they pick him.

• Mike Gerken says:

Hey Paul,
      I am not a huge fan of Eddie Goldman. Like Ryan said, he brings nothing to the table from a penetration standpoint. He is purely a 2 down plugger. He lacks athleticism and strength. For a guy who may be only good at one thing, I didn’t think his tape was that great at doing that. When he is single up, he holds his ground and dances with opponent and he is inconsistent getting off the block. When he is double teamed, too many times he got his shoulders turned and was moved away from the play. If I am taking a run stuffer in the first, he has to be elite at it, and I don’t feel Goldman is.

• Paul43 says:

Thanks for your answer too :)
        Ok, you could have right. You saw more videos like me.
        But as a rookie here, I still like Goldman. Will see what will happen. I have an idea, that BB will do something, something unexpectable.

16. Dylan.C says:

Depending on who falls trading out of the first for a second and third would be ideal. Won’t know until draft day though so I won’t project it that way.

1. Jake Fisher
    2. Graddy Jarret
    3a. Marcus Hardison
    3b. Kwon Alexander
    4. DuJuan Smith
    6a. Austin Shepherd
    6b. Troy Hill
    7. Malcom Brown

17. acm says:

Lots of noise flying around about Pats being high on WR Agholor. At this point, they’d probably have to trade up to get him, me thinks – his stock has been going higher and higher.

18. J H TARBORO says:

With some of the top talent dropping, expected chaos, possible trades, and new venue, i have a strong feeling we’re going to do very well in this draft. Mike Gerken, this is decent mock! I just hope our draft is good and exciting! Maybe players you’ll never thought the Pats would ever draft.

19. bmp1113 says:

I think they should trade up to get Byron Jones, but with some very talented, smaller cbs later, Id go Grady Jarrett or Jordan Phillips here. I

20. acm says:

If the board were to play out that way, I think Pats may look at Edie Goldman at 32 too. Goldman, Fisher, Owa O and Tomlinson (assuming a shift to a more power-blocking oriented O) are all players I can see get a 1st round grade from the Pats.

Personally, I think they like Shaq T but not sure they like him at 32 – he’s a bit of a wild-card pick due to lack of clarity of his natural position at the NFL (played LB in college but is too small for it at the NFL, has the size of a big SS but has never played the position consistently, etc). So, have to wonder if they’d take him that high – it’s one thing to like the potential of a player, another to take him in the first.

Rollins I think projects as a SAF in the NFL – lacks speed and explosiveness to play on the outside. Considering Pats’ tendency to go for faster athletes at the CB position in the early rounds, not sure he fits their requirements at all, especially for the CB position. Also, BB seems to like his early picks to be long-time starters – especially at the more challenging positions like CB/SAF – so that’s another problem I see with the Rollins pick being a good fit.

Sambrailo in the 4th would be pretty good value but, while he has the athleticism, he lacks toughness and functional strength for the position at the NFL level. Don’t see him as a good fit. He does bring some position versatility – presumably can play OG, although that’s really just a projection – but what good would that be if he gets bullied left and right.
    In that late 3rd area of the draft, I think Mitch Morse – if he falls there at all – would be a better fit, imo: scheme and position versatile, tough as nails, strong and a leader with smarts.

The rest of the picks, I actually like quite a bit – especially Hardison even if I have strong doubts he falls to late 3rd. He’s been flying low on the media radar but don’t think that’s the case with scouts and GMs out there.
    From what I’ve read here and there – Pats seem to be in love with Marpet.

Shortcomings of this mock, as I see it – you don’t take advantage of a pretty good interior DL and a pretty decent LB draft class. Shaq T seem like you are taking a LB but that’s the thing with wild-card picks – they are wild :). I think there is some good talent at LB in the middle to late rounds that would fill a need for the Pats down the road – Mayo may well be off the books in a year. Same goes for a big, interior DL, which is kind of a hidden area of need for the Pats with Branch unlikely to stick for long. I think you are kinf of missing out on an opportunity to load up on some good talent at important positions for the future, at the expense of wild-card picks in Shaq T and Rollins at 32 and 64, respectively.

• Mike Gerken says:

Thanks ACM for the kind words and the critique. That is what I love about doing an exercise like this. Opinions can differ so greatly and the best part is, there is no right or wrong answer.
      I will say, as I was doing the mock my concern was how the Patriots are going to bring in talent at Cb that can help right away. It seems really unlikely they will, but I feel like there is still good to excellent options that will be there at 32 or later if they decide to trade down.
      If the draft does pan out somewhat similar to what I mocked, I see a trade down as the Patriots first choice rather than picking at 32.
      All I know is that starting Thursday, we are in for a lot of fun and probably some frustration. I love it.

• acm says:

looking for immediate contributors at CB is indeed something that may take one’s eyes off the big prize here :) … even then, I don’t see how Rollins fits in all that anyway.

The way I see it, I expect Pats have a 1st round grade only on Byron Jones at the CB position. All other “big-time” prospects at CB miss out wither due to lacking measurables or character issues. Once you go in the 2nd round, I don’t think the talent at CB changes much all the way into the 4th, tbh i.e. I see more Logan Ryans there, no Revises or Dmacs. That is, if you go for CB in the 2nd, you’ll be drafting for need, not value and thus devalue your pick by default. maybe, just maybe, an exception would be Eric Rowe at 64, if there.

So, I have actually given up on trying to find any immediate starters at CB, just maybe add more depth and role players (at first) in the middle round – Steven Nelson, Alex Carter, come to mind, may be even draft Ekpre-Olomu and ice him for a year if the value is too good to pass on. No CBs earlier than the 3rd and even 4th round for me at this point, just not worth the higher price they’d be paying and would even lead to loss of value elsewhere.

As for trading out of the first, that’s anything but guaranteed even if it would be the optimal solution for the Pats. The problem with projecting trades this year is, well, trading down to get more picks will be the optimal solution for just about every team out there – I mean you have the Skins and Vikings basically openly begging for offers to trade down.

• MM-II says:

acm –

The thing for me about the Pats drafting Shaq Thompson at #32 is that they already have two similar size developmental guys on the roster in Eric Martin and Cam Gordon. Both are arguably as athletic as Thompson, if not moreso, and Gordon actually started out at Michigan as a SS, where he actually performed much better than he did after being converted to LB. IOW, I just don’t see any significant value in Thompson as a 1st-rounder, or even as a 2nd. Anyway, if they’re really eager to acquire a long-term upgrade to Chung, they’d probably be better off taking Campbell.

• acm says:

well, I myself was arguing against Shaq T being a good value at 32. Starting from 64 and into the 3rd, if he’s still on board, I can see it happen.

• 2014 NFL Draft