Putting together the Big Board: Wide Receivers

Will the Patriots add some additional youth to a crowded wide receiver corp.?

Will the Patriots add some additional youth to a crowded wide receiver corp.?

NEPD Staff Writer: Mike Gerken

For the longest time, I thought it was taking forever for the draft to get here, now I find myself scrambling to get all the information out to you as I want.  It seems as though the Belichick and the Patriots are serious about adding a wide receiver in the draft.  The staff has been to a lot of pro days and had a lot of the top guys in for visits and workouts.  So lets take a look at who they might look at and who might be a good fit.

Current Roster: Julian Edelman, Brandon LaFell, Danny Amendola, Brian Tyms, Aaron Dobson, Josh Boyce, Brandon Gibson, Matthew Slater, Greg Orton, Jonathon Krause, Kevin Dorsey.

Position Need: Medium

Position Overview:

When you have a QB like Tom Brady throwing the ball, you could put me out there (don’t laugh, I am 6’4″ and have fantastic hands) and he would find a way to make the passing game look good.  That being said, I think the Patriots should and will add at least one wide receiver in the draft.  Let’s be honest, after Edelman and Lafell, there are a lot more questions than answers.  Amendola came on late in the year, but I think his reworked contract makes him more of a one year rental.  Former draft picks Dobson and Boyce have struggled with health or fitting in with the offense and can’t be relied on until they prove it.  Gibson was an interesting pickup that could pay off, but he to is coming off an injury and will need to acclimate quickly to the offense or be banished forever.  Tyms was the surprise of last year, but was just a deep threat and he too must learn to do more to be a regular contributor. We all know Slater is a WR only in name and the rest of the guys will struggle to make the team.

Draftable Options:

Nelson Agholor, USC (6’0″ 198 Lbs.) 2nd round

I really like Agholor and I think his play style would fit in fantastically with what the Patriots do.  Other than not having elite size for the position, he is right up there in everything else.  He plays fast, he is in and out of breaks quickly and he doesn’t slow down doing so.  He has fantastic body control and he attacks the ball.  He has great hands and makes the difficult catches look easy. After the catch he is just as impressive. He shows good vision and awareness to find the open space and maximize his yards after catch. Agholor is a hard worker and a team captain.  He is not the biggest guy, but he does play like a number one receiver, but really his skill set will allow him to play multiple positions.

Jalen Strong, Arizona State (6’2″, 217 Lbs.) 2nd round

Strong is a bigger receiver both in height and bulk.  He has the size to screen out defenders and he consistently wins contested balls.  He has fantastic hands and good body control to be a productive outside receiver.  Strong has good timed speed, but it does not show up consistently on tape.  He struggles to gain separation in college and it could be a bigger issue in the NFL. He is a physical runner after the catch but needs to learn to use his physicality at the snap of the ball to get of jams.  Strong has build up speed, but loses momentum when asked to run more complicated routes.

Justin Hardy, East Carolina (5’10”, 192 Lbs.) 2nd/3rd round

see my scouting report on him from earlier this season. http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2015/01/scouting-report-justin-hardy-wr.html

Tre McBride, William and Mary (6’0″, 210 Lbs.) 3rd round

McBride screams Patriots player to me.  Very intelligent both on and off the field (offer from Harvard) and he comes from a military family.  He has an NFL ready build and is ahead of the game in terms of route running despite playing at a lower level college.  Like Agholor, he lined up all over the field and has some flexibility on where he can play.  McBride has excellent body control and very good hands.  He also was a very good punt and kick returner, which the Patriots might be looking for.  McBride does not have the quick movement skills in and out of his breaks and he could struggle with separation at the next level.

Tyler Lockett, Kansas State (5’9″, 182 Lbs.) 3rd/4th round

I know, I know, another tiny receiver for the Patriots seems crazy, but if you watch Lockett you can’t help but fall in love with his game.  He plays much bigger than his size, although I do worry some that he could struggle getting off the line at the next level.  He is fast, and that is an understatement.  The best part though, is he keeps his speed in and out of his breaks, which makes him almost impossible to cover.  Lockett will fight for the ball and despite his size did a nice job winning contested throws.  Obviously his size, both from a height and bulk perspective are negatives, but I watched a lot of his games, and there was no game where he could be defended even somewhat consistently.

Chris Conley, Georgia (6’1″, 213 Lbs.) 3rd/4th round

Conley burst onto the scene with his fantastic combine.  He has good size and electric speed.  He is a threat to take it to the house on every play.  He is a smart guy on and off the field and is a very hard worker.  Conley has good hands and adjusts to the ball well.  His route tree was limited in college and will need work on his footwork and technique as a route runner to be successful in the NFL.  You cannot teach his physical attributes and with some good coaching, he could become a dangerous weapon in the NFL.

Sammie Coates, Auburn (6’1, 212 Lbs.) 4th round

I wasn’t sure if I should put Coates in this list because I think he will go higher than I have him ranked.  From a height, weight, speed perspective, Coates is a very intriguing prospect and probably what is going to get him drafted.  You can see on tape that corners fear his deep speed and are afraid to play him tight.  He is very well built and has the strength to fight through press coverage as well.  Where the real problem comes in for Coates is that he just doesn’t have very good ball skills.  He struggles to track the ball when it is in the air, sometimes losing it completely even when it is a catchable ball.  Coates also has inconsistent hands when he is able to track it.  Finally, for as big and physical as he is, he doesn’t win contested balls nearly enough.  He doesn’t extend his arms and he routinely makes himself a smaller receiver by not using his length to his advantage. If he can get coached up, the physical traits are there to be a real threat, but he has to become a more natural pass catcher, and that is easier said than done.

Kenny Bell, Nebraska (6’1″, 197 Lbs.) 5th round

Bell has good athleticism, acceleration and foot speed.  He is a smart player that can find holes in the defense and make himself a big target.  He is tough and consistently made contested catches.  Bell has good body control to adjust to poorly thrown balls.  He excels s as a blocker and seems to take pride in it. Bell also has special teams experience and can come in day one and contribute. He was a team captain and has NFL bloodlines. Needs to add bulk to his frame as he can be moved off his routes too easily and struggles to get off press.

Tony Lippett, Michigan State (6’2″, 192 Lbs.) 5th round

see my report on him from earlier this year. http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2014/12/scouting-report-tony-lippett-wr.html

Ty Montgomery, Stanford (5’11”, 221 Lbs.)  5th round

Montgomery came into the season as a potential first round pick, but a bad senior season has seen his stock drop to where he could be a real steal.  Not tall, but he has bulk, Montgomery plays more physical than you would expect.  He is a fluid athlete that moves extremely well both vertically and laterally.  He shows position versatility as he lined up in multiple positions at Stanford.  He is a hard worker and a leader, and that shows up on tape. He has no issues blocking downfield on run plays. Montgomery is one of the better special teams players in this draft as well.

DeAndre Smelter, Georgia Tech (6’2″, 226 Lbs.) 6th round

Smelter is a physical receiver with good height and length.  He has long arms and big hands which gives him a big catch radius.  Smelter has excellent body control and consistently adjusted to poorly thrown balls.  He has soft hands and he attacks the ball rather than allowing the ball to get into his body.  Comes from an offense that required him to be a good blocker downfield. He is a hard worker with big play ability. He does not have elite speed and he comes from an offense that did not require him to run a complete route tree.  Smelter had a knee injury late in the season and his rookie year may be a red shirt. If not for that, he would be higher on the list.

Tyrell Williams, Western Oregon (6’3″, 204 Lbs.) 6th round

see my report on him from earlier this year. http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2015/03/scouting-report-tyrell-williams-wr.html

Geremy Davis, UConn (6’2″, 216 Lbs.) 6th/7th round

Davis is a big, physical receiver.  He uses his body well to shield the ball from defenders and he is relentless after the catch.  He has very good body control and he high points the ball very well. Davis does a nice job of using his hands rather than allowing the ball to get into his body.  He is not going to wow you with athleticism and he is stiff in his route running, but he does present a big target and is reliable.  His timed speed is faster than his on field speed and he struggles to maintain his momentum in and out of breaks.

Interesting UDFA’s:

Ricky Collins, Texas A&M Commerce (5’11”, 196 Lbs.)

Isaac Blakely, Duke (6’6″, 225 Lbs.)

Jordan Taylor, Rice (6’4″, 204 Lbs.)

Darren Waller, Georgia Tech (6’6″, 238 Lbs.)

Devin Gardner, Michigan (6’4″, 217 Lbs.)

Bud Sasser, Missouri (6’2″, 210 Lbs.)

So many WR’s, so little time. There are some guys I just have not had a chance to watch enough of to get a feel for them, so this list might be a little incomplete.  Guys like Josh Harper and Rannell Hall are 2 off the top of my head that intrigue me but just didn’t get enough film time on them to make an educated opinion on. I am sure there are more that you guys  like that I either didn’t or didn’t get a chance to watch, so let me know what you think or who I missed and I will try and get to them or let you know my opinion on them.  As always, thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope your are enjoying them.

follow me on twitter at: midwestpatsfan@yahoo.com

39 Responses to “Putting together the Big Board: Wide Receivers”

1. AM says:

I know it is a very deep WR class, but I’m a bit surprised Rashad Greene didn’t make this list. If the team is interested in going WR in the 2nd-4th rounds, I would love to see Greene be the pick. He could play inside or outside, and I think is reminiscent of early Deion Branch.

Late, I’d love to see the team use a 6th or 7th rounder on Austin Hill. Big target, though not bulky, and still recovering from an ACL tear. I think the idea that you need gargantuan #1 receivers is overrated (see Edelman, Julian), but Hill could be very effective.

MY Look at the 1st round in the draft; I think RB Gordon is a franchise player, to help QB Bortles. I also think BB trades out of the 1st round with K.C. Who I have taking OC Erving at #18, so I feel K.C. would use the Patriots #32 for WR Strong, or Green-Beckham. Patriots may be able to get Tomlinson with K.C.’s #49. I have dropped S Landon Collins into the early 2nd round.
    TB- QB Winston
    Dallas- CB Byron Jones
    Denver- T.J. Clemmings
    G.Bay- LB Anthony
    N.O. – LB McKinney
    N.E.- OG Tomlinson

• AM says:

Kudos for putting a full first round attempt out there. Jets passing on Mariota is an interesting call, though I would only be somewhat surprised if it happened.

In this scenario, I would rather have Shaq Thompson at #32, or trade back. I don’t love Tomlinson’s close quarters agility (or potential lack thereof), though he’s a perfect Patriot in almost all other respects. Even a slight reach for A.J. Cann would be good here.

3. MM-II says:

Some general information for those of you who are trying to determine which interior OL the Pats should (or will) select………

MATT CHATHAM has posted a quick, general explanation of the Zone Blocking Scheme (ZBS), including what’s required of an RB running behind it, on the Football-by-Football site:

Perhaps the four most significant points WRT potential draft selections are (1) that ZBS requires OL to be quick and agile and that such guys are generally a bit smaller, and (2) that RBs running behind a ZBS need patience and vision more than anything else since runnning lanes are not predetermined and may open up almost anywhere, and (3) that ZBS concepts are very often run from balanced formations such as 2-TE sets, and (4) that ZBS runs are most effectively blown up by defensive penetration (or, with stretch runs, being strung out by smaller/faster LBs and DBs).

During Scarnecchia’s reign as the Pats OL Coach, the Pats primarily ran ZBS concepts with some power-man used situationally. The Pats interior OL acquisitions during Scar’s time – from Koppen through Wendell/Connolly to Kline – reflect that very well. However, in last year’s draft, the Pats selected three interior OL (Stork, Fleming and Halapio – all scouted and vetted by Scar himself, BTW) who are distinctly different – bigger, more powerful and less agile. The Pats also spent a 4th-rounder on an RB (White) who spent his entire college career running behind a power-man run-blocking scheme rather than a ZBS (so, perhaps it’s no wonder that he seemed tentative and had difficulty finding a running lane). It should also be noted that the two Pats’ RBs who’ve had the greatest recent success running behind the ZBS – Ridley and Vereen – are now both gone.

• MM-II says:

So, back to what all this may mean WRT possible interior OL selections from the 2015 draft class……..

First of all, it seems entirely possible that the Pats are in the process of transitioning from a primary ZBS “base” >towardmay< indicate a somewhat greater emphasis on the ground game going forward. If true, this, in turn, may have potential implications for what the Pats may require from WR prospects (downfield blocking) as well as from RB prospects (quick first step more than "vision"). WRT RBs, it's entirely possible that the Pats believe they already have enough players on the roster who are likely to be very productive in a power-man scheme, if that's where they're headed, and may not feel the need to draft an RB at all this time around.

• Russell says:

Great info, I would say RB Gaffney ran behind a power man blocking system at Stanford.

• MM-II says:

Thanks, Russell!

Actually, IIRC, Stanford may have been running a somewhat mixed scheme. According to Campbell (again, not vouching for his accuracy), Andrus Peat did ZBS at and would need to make some technique adjustments for a power-man scheme, mostly because he’s so tall.

Cam Fleming was the RT for Stanford, and a very good one, reportedly. So, one would think he’d have fit in quickly at RT in the Pats’ ZBS, if that’s the case, though his body-type and agility numbers say “power-man”. Of course, he was attempting to convert to Guard last year, AND missed several games due to a couple different injuries, but he was terrific as a 6th OL in some of the power-man concepts the Pats ran on Indy that gave Jonas Gray his big day (one guy who might REALLY benefit from a scheme transition).

Again according to Campbell, the best OT prospect for a ZBS is Ogbuehi (based on a Duane Brown, Texans, prototype), followed closely by Humphries and Fisher (interestingly, he has Peat as being just “okay”). For a power-man scheme (based on Joe Thomas), Campbell has Flowers at the top, followed closely by Donovan Smith, with Peat ranked a bit higher for it than he’s ranked for ZBS. So, ?

Another interesting WR prospect is Kevin Vereen Jr. nice size 6’3″ 210lbs 4.5 40yd, Northern Iowa (RB David Johnson team mate)
    Most likely Vereen will go undrafted, not the speed, but great hands, jumps well, solid player from smaller school.

5. dennis homesley says:

Thanks for your reply Mike:
    I was the gentleman that wrote the comment about your draft ranking. Don’t get me wrong, I understand and respect what you do and that these are your personal comments. I too live on the east coast, but I have coaching friends in the Big 12, and I follow them very closely. There is a wide receiver you listed, Tyler Lockett from Kansas State, that I have followed since his freshman year. This kid is a stud, forget 5’10 182, he plays as big as any receiver in the draft, that includes Cooper, White, and Parker. Since his junior year, this kid has faced bump-and-run with a safety over the top coverage against the best of the best corners in the country (Jason Verrett, Aaron Colvin, Kevin White, Justin Gilbert, Kevin Peterson, Michigan, UCLA, and many others from Power 5 schools). He just continues to beat them and get open. He and Nelson AG., in my opinion, may be two of the best complete receivers in the draft (receiver and returner). Competition is a beast, and this kid faced it almost every night. If he last to the third or fourth round I would be shocked…This kid had two head to head match-ups with WVA Kevin White..results Tyler Lockett 19 rec. 307 yds 4td.(1 was A Pr TD).. Kevin White 9 rec. 119yds 1td. One former Dallas Cowboy scout had Lockett rated as the number 5 wide receiver in the draft..Mel Kiper’s mock draft had him at #52 going to Philly. These are just my opinions. Also as a freshman, he was a 1st team Walter Camp All-American as a kick-returner, and in 2014 he led the nation in punt returns (19.1) and was an All-Purpose All-American. Kid deserves a lot of love.

6. Paul43 says:

Somehow I can’t understand why many of you want to pick a WR before the 4th round. We have Edelman, Amendola, LaFell and Gronk, Chandler. 5 really good targets, they could be good for Brady. In the last years he didn’t throw so much deep passes, so a speedy WR is not a high need.
    As I read today Fleming made only OG trainings during this offseason, so he could be a key player next year, if we see this as a real option, then OG could come only in the 3rd round.
    I don’t believe we need an Easley clone. We have Chris Jones as well and Chandler Jones can switch inside too, but we need a NT, Siliga had surgery and we have Branch for 1 more year. This is one area where I feel the need and maybe BB will fill this position very early. Maybe Goldman, I would like him at #32.
    Another needy position is the CB. We have a great slot man (Arrington), we have a young guy who maybe will go on the right way where he was during last season (Butler), but that is not sure. After the two guys we have Dennard and Ryan (consistency is not the best) and 3 veterans. I don’t see this as a done deal, so we need minimum 1 top prospect here. I think the FSU guys could be good at #64, it would be funny to pick P.J.Williams and Darby as well. With Butler together we could have three quality (?) players for the next 3-4 years.
    And for me LB and RB is even higher than WR.
    Please explain me why we need WR early! Thanks.

• Hala Madrid says:

Paul, szerintem Goldman nem lesz ott 32-re, de lehet, hogy Phillips sem. Amendola a playoffra rendbe rakta a teljesítményét, de az egész szezont tekintve nem volt meggyőző, plusz sérülékeny, ahogy Dobson is. Egy ilyen jó WR class-nál szerinted hiba lenne 3. vagy 4, körbe húzni valakit? Cobb vagy D, Johnson szerintem ott lesz a 3. kör végén, akik illenének a csapatba de szerinted hosszú távon nem lennénk beljebb Hardy-val, Bell-el vagy McBride-al?

• acm says:

I agree with the first part but not with the second.

• Paul43 says:

Thanks for your answer, I didn’t know you are Hungarian as well:) I think we should stay at English on this site.

For your question: we have bigger need than WR. If it is Bell or Hardy or somebody else, I’m not a big fan of the WR pick in the first 3 rounds. Everybody said this year’s receiver class is deep again. So why not use our early picks for bigger needs and we can select receivers later.

• acm says:

a late 3rd round pick is a glorified 4th rounder, in the end of the day. Ideally, a team wants to draft for value, not need, which is what you are suggesting.
          I myself fully agree with not going WR in the top two rounds but a lot of that is a value-driven argument. Now once we get into late 3rd round, whether you draft a WR there or in the forth, the difference isn’t much, if any at all. Ultimately, the goal is to not just draft any WR but the team will have certain prospects in mind, who may well not be around a round later. So, if the value is there to take a WR in the 3rd – that also accounts for what other players at other positions are still on board – why not make that move? Yes, it’s a deep class at the WR position but that doesn’t mean that you should wait till the 6th/7th round to draft a player at said position; it just means that you can get a good shot at starter level talent beyond round 1 or 2. Even in a deep class, the level of talent at a given position still does fall as you go deeper in the draft and at some point the starter-level talent will dry up, so you can’t wait forever to have a taste.

Generally, with the future in mind, it’s a good idea to draft talent at a position(s) that is particularly strong in a given draft even if it may not be a position of desperate need. That’s just smart business, again, provided that the value is there. Dobson and Amendola may not be around next year, which would create demand at WR for the Pats. With an Offensive system notoriously difficult to grasp for rookies, it would be a good idea to bring in new blood now, grow them in the system so that they are ready to make a difference in 2016, when the need at WR may well be there. If they waited to draft a capable WR for 2016 season in the 2016 draft, they would be setting themselves and that prospect up for failure.

This year, such positions where stockpiling on talent for the future (beyond 2015 season) are WR, RB and DT. So, I’d expect picks in the 3rd-4th round range to be spent on value available in one or more of these exact positions even if they may not look like positions of need right now (there is an excellent chance they will become just that a year from now, though).

• Paul43 says:

acm: I can’t reply on your comment, bu I do it in this way.
          Thank you for your thoughts. I can accept your point (and Hala’s), that for the future we can draft a quality WR and yes you have right, it is not sure that we could find that type of player in the lower rounds. But as Mike Gerken wrote it, Bell-Lipet-Smelter could be available in the 5th round as well. You are almost all high on these guys, so why not pick one of them and – theoretically – everybody is happy. I have one name who is extremly risky, but I like the measurement and the upside of that kid, Dorial Green-Beckham. I am waiting for a new Moss since years and he could be the man. He has red flags (as Moss), but has the body like Megatron and he is really fast. He is the only one where I could tell, ok round 2 pick.

• acm says:

Paul, Bell, Lippett and Smelter are quite different prospects, imo. So, to suggest Pats should just close their eyes and pick whoever is on board in say the 5th/6th round as opposed the 3rd is very much going for need/position with disregard to the nuances and diff characteristics of each individual player as a better or worse scheme fit for the Pats. That’s never be a fan of and certainly hope the Pats aren’t doing it either.

On Lippett – he is a Dobson clone, only even more frail. What would be the point to have both on the roster? I personally can see the value of taking both Bell in the 3rd and Smelter in the 6th (if he is there) but that’s about maximizing value and building for the future. Smelter is a player who belongs earlier in the draft, so if he falls to the 6th, that just more value for the Pats as they get an excellent prospect, who they can red-shirt for 2015 and then use in 2016 when the WR position is likely to be in flux yet again. Taking Smelter for value in the 6th, hoever, doesn’t and shouldn’t preclude the team from drafting another WR earlier if they love the prospect.

DGB is very controversial player and I don’t think the Pats would be willing to go there early enough in the draft so that he’d still be available. Also, I think a lot of people are a bit too quick to christen him as the next Megatron or whatever. He is not without his shortcomings and for me the only thing he and Calvin Johnson have in common is that 6’5″ height. Little else, tbh.

7. J H TARBORO says:

My choice
    Slot WR: Kenny Bell, Stephon Diggs, Tyler Lockett
    Deep WR: Chris Conley, Tyrell Williams, Dezmond Lewis
    Coverted WRs to CB: Tony Lippett, Chris Dunkley

8. Will S says:

Tre McBride and Kenny Bell are my favs for the Pats in the 3-4th rnds.
    McBride is essentially Amari Cooper with much more physicality, a far faster 10 yd split and more overall explosion. McBride is also a return guy and runs after catches far better than Cooper. I’ll take McBride 2 rnds after Cooper and be confident I’ve got the guy with the better career.
    Here’s my report on McBride. http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2227702&postcount=186

Kenny Bell is my personal fav for the Pats so I’ll go in more depth here about him. Bell was my sleeper pick for the Patriots until the last month when seemingly everyone discovered him. He’s a leader, he’s athletic, he’s technically skilled, disciplined, smart and tough as nails. And even though he’s risen on many mocks to the 3rd or 4th rnd, I think he may still be undervalued. Bell has a terrific first step to help him get a quick release from the LOS, he has an efficient hard step to stop or break on a dime and he has great vision to make the 1st defender miss. Bell’s a polished route runner, too. He understands the nuances of telling a story with his hip, head and shoulder fakes to turn the defender & gain the advantage. His feet always stay in rhythm with his fakes so he is always in control.
    Bell can play inside, slot or outside the lines at X. He excels as a legit deep threat but he’s also quick enough to win with fast developing digs, outs, comebacks or crossers. Bell adjusts to the ball as well as any prospect I’ve seen. Whether the ball comes in high, low, in front or behind, Bell can make difficult catches look routine with his quick reflexes and big radius. Against hard contact this kid is absolutely blue collar fearless. I’d bet on Bell to come up with jump balls most every time bc of his toughness, tracking ability and long arms. Bell tracks the ball as well as anyone in this class and he’s skilled at showing late hands to finger tip the catch without tipping off the defender. I can’t remember seeing him leave his feet unless it was necessary.
    Bell is the perfect combination of straight line speed and start-stop quickness the Patriots covet. His 6.65 3cone and 4.15 ss are terrific but pair those with 4.4 speed and a 41.5″ vj and this kid’s sparq sparkles when compared to any of the projected 1st rnd talents in this draft, including Kevin White.
    He’s a great blocker who knows how to use leverage and a strong first punch and then he finishes with good leg drive. He loves to hit hard and fast and he’s known to take big shots. I’ll try to find highlights of his block in practice where he literally sent a Nebraska safety ass over teakettle.

Where does Bell fit? He’d pretty quickly become TB’s #3 option behind Gronk and Edelman, imo. With his combination of speed, physicality and versatility McD could use him anywhere he wanted. He’d even be far better than Vereen in that same role. Put him outside and watch the seams open up for Gronk and Edelman. I’ve seen some scouts call him a seek-and-destroy player. That’s his mentality and he backs it up with his play. I call him a supercharged KT with brains. One thing I know is that he’ll become a fan favorite real quickly. I really like this guy.
    Here’s my report on Bell. http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2228146&postcount=198

9. Hala Madrid says:

Our 1st (32) for K.C. 2nd (49) and 3rd (80):

Pick 49: ILB Stephen Anthony / Paul Dawson
    Pick 64: CB P.J Williams / Eric Rowe
    Pick 80: G Tre Jackson
    Pick 96: WR Justin Hardy / Tre McBride
    Pick 97: DT Gabe Wright / Xavier Cooper
    Pick 101: SS James Sample
    Pick 131: G Josue Matias / Arie Kouandjio
    Pick 177: RB Matt Jones
    Pick 219: DE Shaquille Riddick
    Pick 253: DT Kristjan Sokoli

• Russell says:

I like this trade very much, and don’t be suprised if it happens! It makes alot of scents for both teams. K.C. needs some Oline help at #18 as IMO there will be a heavy load of Olineman taken in the 1st-2nd rounds. With the Patriots choice K.C. could get a WR they need,… WR Strong, or Green-Beckham who would be gone at #49.
      It’s also improtant to note K.C. has a Comp. Pick #98 in the 3d round. So the loss of #49 and #80 is a good value for K.C.
      The Patriots benifit with an early 2nd (#49) and an early 3d (#80)

IMO, the BEST WR for the Patriots in say the 3d-4th round is Kenny Bell. Just an outstanding prospect, speed, strong blocker, good hands, runs a sound route tree, very intelligent. Bye-Bye Dobson, and Bell backs up Lafell.

Almost at my finial Mock:

1st -Laken Tomlinson OG, If Cameron Erving is avalable here, he is my choice, but Tomlinson will not be on the board at #64. OL is deep in this draft, so IMO I see a large number of prospects chosen in the first two rounds. Tomlinson is a plug-in and go player at OG, and a sound prospect to fit into the Patriots system.
    2nd- Michael Bennett DT, A prospect that brings an Easley type player into the Patriot system which IMO is changing to quicker type DT’s, and moving away from the Wilfork type, ON EVERY DOWN, and used only on limited downs.
    3d- Kenny Bell WR , Good size and speed qualitiy blocker, very smart prospect. WR Dobson is IMO a bust, and cut.
    3d- Davis Tull OLB, Starter on speical teams day one, very smart, solid work ethic . IMO a Prospect with a strong future at OLB for the Patriots.
    4th- Adrian Amos, S/CB , Solid, very smart prospect who replaces Chung, in 2016. nice size/speed alot of experince. IMO a VERY underrated prospect !!
    4th- Corey Robinson OT, I watched alot of tape on Robinson, IMO he’s got a huge upside just needs some more coaching, great size 6’7″ 345lbs , alot of experince, and lets not forget he practiced agans’t DE Clowney, earlier in his career.
    6th- Kristjan Sokoli DT , Very impressed with this prospect, again huge upside, great value here, if available.
    7th- Karlos Williams RB/S Some red flags, but speed, 4.4 40yd, good size 6′ 230lbs special teams, maybe S/CB /RB, … experince on Offence and Defence at Florida State.
    7th- Dezmond Johnson DE (Duke) I watched alot of tape on this prospect, who may go undrafted, at 6’4″ 265lbs, I see him as a project to move to LB, in the Patriots system. VERY intelligent, solid work ethic, good friends with Tomlinson also from Duke.

I think thier are a number of other prospects the Patriots may look at in this draft, I like Henry Anderson DL, OL Cameron Erving, OLB Eli Harold, OLB Loranzon Mauldin and several others IF available in this draft. The group I have chosen, “fit” the Patriots IMO.

• Russell says:

More thoughts, on my mock. Unless BB takes a CB in the 1st round I do not see a prospect that can plug in and play. BB likes Swanson, Green, from the P- Squd along with free agents, and our roster. BB may look at 1-3 undafted prospects, and keep depth on his roster this year.
      Corey Robinson played LOT at South Carolina, I see him as a possible Vollmer replacement at ROT, or LOT if Solder leaves , and not an OG prospect. I think Flemming will be a future OG.
      Amos wil see spiecal teams work, and work in a rotation to replace Chung in 2016. Tavon Wilson maybe gone.
      I like Karlos Williams as a Kick returner, and as a S to work in with Amos to replace Chung and back up the position.
      Dezmond Johnson, has Hightower type numbers and will work for a spot with other undrafted guys.

12. J H TARBORO says:

Another guy you can add to your list WR/CB Chris Dunkley-USF will probably go undrafted, but is on the Patriots radar. I seriously believe the Pats grab more than one receiver in this draft, some may think we are ok at the position, but we are seeing the beginning of roster turnover and upgrading the position, maybe 1 drafted and 1or 2 undrafted. Other than Edelman, this year will be auditions for our future, also look at our division and the rest of the AFC, we must weaponize our architecture! Watch out for Aaron Dobson this year, he will be most improved.

13. dennis homesley says:

Great group of receivers, but draft ranking appear to be a little off.

• Mike Gerken says:

Thanks for the response Dennis,
      What do you mean by your post? My rankings are my own. I try very hard not to let other draftniks and experts influence my rankings. I guarantee I will be wrong on where most of these guys go, but these are just my opinions on them. Do you think I have them rated too high?Low? Which players do you have issue with? I am always up to hear others opinions on players.

• J H TARBORO says:

Mike Gerken, this is a very good list of prospects and i respect what you do, as you can see on this site, we’re a very opinionated bunch that love the Pats and like to do the research to keep informed and in the loop, also we can learn from each other. This is year 3 for me on this site, and really enjoy the opinions of others. Keep doing what you do Mike!!! Thank you

• Russell says:

Thanks Mike for all you do on this site ! We have a great bunch of well informed people commenting! I comment on the Buffalo site were we are lucky to see 1-10 comments, here we see often 50-95 !!

• Mike Gerken says:

Thanks JH and Russell,
          There really are a lot of great posters on here. I will be first to admit that I have taken recommendations on players from here and checked them out and I am not sure I would have known about some of these guys without you guys, so thanks to you guys as well.

It is a lot of fun having this type of response and interaction and I am glad that you guys are all finding my stuff informative and useful.

14. acm says:

Good list of WRs, Mike G.
    From Pats’ perspective, the sweet spot for the WR position would be 3-4th round, imo, with one exception in Smelter, who could well fall to 5/6th round due to his injury.
    Don’t see particular value in drafting a WR in the late 1st/2nd round range as the talent expected to drop to 3/4th is close enough. That sort of takes players like Agholor and Strong off the board for me.
    Late round prospects are not very likely to stick on the roster unless we are talking a versatile prospect who can earn a roster spot as a ST-er at first and the grow into the system (like Edelman). T. Williams is an example of a prospect I find interesting but don’t think he would make the roster.

Anyways, my top 3 WRs for the Pats would be McBride, Bell, Smelter. For a slot WR, Justin Hardy is who I like the best.
    Lockett is similar to FSU’s R. Greene, personally like the latter more but would settle for value there depending on who is available deeper in the draft.
    Lippett is a bit too similar to Dobson, imo. Not sure I see the point of drafting him.

A player I am not too big a fan of for the Pats system is Conley. Unfortunately, I imagine him being at or near the top of the Pats list at WR. Same goes for Coates.

• MM-II says:

I like McBride and Smelter, but Bell is at the top of my WR list for the Pats. Smart, special teams experience, excellent blocker. Dobson’s deficiencies in those last two areas contributed to his riding the pine in 2014, IMHO.

If Bell has, or can quickly develop, the ability to read the defense the same way that Brady sees it, and can simply get to where Brady needs him to be and on time, he could be a significant early contributor. Always active on game day, at the very least.

• acm says:

Bell would my top choice too, not just from an upside perspective but also taking into account the Pats need at the position (considerable interest in Stevie johnson in free agency).
        Smelter is someone I very much like as a value prospect with him potentially falling in the draft. Even if they were to draft Bell in 3-4th round range, I wouldn’t mind them double-dipping at WR with Smelter in the 6th-round range (if still on board). I haven’t been a big fan of mocks having the Pats take 2 WRs but for Smelter, at that value, I’d readily make an exception. They can just put him on IR (something they probably should have done with Easley from the get go) and take him out of the freezer in 2016 when the WR position may well be in flux again with Dobson, Amendola or whoever else possibly on the way out.

Great work on this! Sounds like you were rushed but there is still a lot of material here. I have been paying attention to the wide receiver position all draft season and I can’t wait to see who the Patriots go with on draft day (probably someone no one has heard of, but oh well).

I disagree that Tyler Lockett should come after Justin Hardy. Lockett is a bit smaller but faster and more dynamic. Hardy seems like a slightly higher-potential version of Julian Edelman. For the third-round receivers that you listed, I would rank them McBride-Lockett-Hardy because of how they would fit into the Pats offense, not necessarily based on skill alone.

If we got either Tony Lippett or Kenny Bell at the end of the fourth I would be happy. Lippett is ranked higher by most but I really can’t tell if he will develop into anything more than No. 3 option who gives 110% on every play. Bell, on the other hand, looks athletic, tall, and versatile but not especially adept at receiving despite his experience. Then again, either of these guys might be worth one of our picks at 96, 97, and 101.

Other than that I would replace Smelter with Waller because Waller’s combine stats will cause him to be drafted and he displays scary athleticism for his size. Smelter might just fall out of the draft due to his injury and could be picked up as an UDFA. Bud Sasser would also make a great undrafted free agent because of his combo of athleticism, height and senior-year production.

• Mike Gerken says:

Thanks for the comments Ryan,
      I have an unhealthy love for Hardy. I see him in the role they envisioned Amendola running when they signed him. He would be much more of a compliment to Edelman rather than a repeat of him.
      I am not sure how much GT games you have watched, but IMO Smelter is hands down the better receiver than Waller even with Waller’s measurables. Smelter was clearly the guy in that passing offense.

16. Fernando says:

Interested in knowing why you have not considered Green-Beckham…

• Ryan says:

Green-Beckham doesn’t seem terribly relevant to me. He will most likely go in the first or early in the second, meaning that we would have to use our first-rounder to snag him. With our needs on defense and at guard I am definitely opposed to using our first-round pick on a wide receiver.

• 2014 NFL Draft