Putting together the big board: QB’s

While not a priority in the draft, there are some small school projects that could be intriguing.

NEPD Staff Writer: Mike Gerken

Did you miss me? It has been awhile since I have been able to put out any draft related content.  I had to do some unexpected travel for that other job that pays this bills.  Now that I am back and have a reliable internet connection I can start to piece together my Patriots big board.  If you haven’t read War Room by Michael Holley, there is a section in the book that talks about how the Patriots tend to end up with a final draft board of around 75 players that they feel fit the team and their needs.  I have decided to try and put together a similar board for this year and today I start out with the quarterback position.

Current Roster: Tom Brady, Jimmy Garoppolo, Garrett Gilbert

Position Need: Low

Position overview:

Overall, this is one of the weaker quarterback classes in recent memory.  The two obvious names are Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota.  After those two, there is a major drop off in talent and there is no real consensus on who the next tier of players are.  Luckily for the Patriots, there is not a big need for them to draft a quarterback.  There are no players that I would recommend using a day 1 or day 2 pick on.  The team could use a late round pick or bring in some undrafted players as a developmental project to compete with Garrett Gilbert.  In my opinion, I have only given two draftable grades at the quarterback position, but have several intriguing prospects that I would like brought in as UDFA’s.

Draftable Players:

Chris Bonner, Colorado St. Pueblo (6’7″, 230 Lbs.) 6th round grade

Bonner has NFL size for the position, which, in this draft class, is not easy to find.  He has very good pocket awareness and footwork.  Bonner does a nice job of keeping his eyes downfield even when he has defenders around him.  He is willing to step up into the pocket and deliver the ball with a defender in his face. Bonner has a strong arm and a quick release.  He played under center and ran a pro style offense.  He needs to work on his touch and accuracy on the short and intermediate throws. Bonner also tends to stare down his targets too often, which allows defenders to make plays on ball.  He also needs to work on getting the ball out quicker and throwing receivers open rather than waiting until they are open.

Brandon Bridge, South Alabama (6’5″, 237 Lbs.) 7th round grade

Bridge is a big, athletic quarterback in the mold of Cam Newton.  He has an NFL arm and has good mobility and speed to be a threat as a runner.  Bridge is raw and will be a complete project, but he has rare physical tools that, if developed, could make him a dangerous duel threat quarterback.  Almost everything about his game will need to be worked on, but nothing is unfixable.  He needs time in a consistent system to have a chance at any sort of success, but he shows enough on tape to think it is possible.

Interesting UDFA’s:

Frank Rivers, Albany State (6’6″, 230 Lbs.)

Austin Dodge, South Oregon (6’3″, 210 Lbs.)

Jerry Lovelock, Prairie View A&M (6’4″, 248 Lbs.)

Bryan Bennett, S.E. Louisiana (6’2″, 211 Lbs.)

Conner Halliday, Washington State (6’3″, 204 Lbs.)

25 Responses to “Putting together the big board: QB’s”

1. BigggE77 says:

My mock right now..might some off a little different that some of you think.

1- Michael Bennett OSU, DT
    2- Quinton Rollins Miami-Ohio. CB
    3- Arie Kouandjio Bama, OG
    3- Hau’oli Kikaha Wash, OLB/DE
    4- Jamil Douglas ASU, OG
    4- Chris Conley Georgia, WR
    6- Christian Covington Rice, DT
    7- Bobby Hart FSU, OG/OT
    7- Antwan Goodley Baylor, WR

In all honestly there will be some moves, they can’t draft every spot…so I expect this yr to a busy 2,3,4 rd

2. Jose Marques says:

Could Marcus Mariota Fall To The New England Patriots At Pick 32?

• acm says:

Don’t see it. Even if he were to fall beyond the Titans and the Jets, several teams later would be all over him (Rams, Browns and potentially even Saints come to mind).

• Jose Marques says:

yes I agree with you.I think the first choice of the draft have to go Dline or secondary

3. Jeff says:

Starting to think that the talent at the end of the first may not be too different from what’s available through much of the 2nd. Slots 30-50 all look like good options with not much drop-off to me.

4. ReneKicker says:

253 S NICK PERRY

• Jim R says:

Fua is interesting. Tall rangy guy, could be an asset in dealing with Tight ends in nickel/dime packages

5. Jim R says:

Latest mock thoughts?
    1-Preston Smith DE Miss. St
    2-Paul Dawson LB TCU
    3-Josh Shaw CB USC
    3-Daryl Williams OT Oklahoma
    4-Tony Lippett WR Mich. St.
    6-Robert Myers G Tennessee St.
    7-Malcom Brown RB Texas
    7-Tray Walker CB Texas Southern

• Ryan says:

What exactly does Preston Smith do for us in the first? He doesn’t merit a first-round pick in my book.

• Jim R says:

Are you sure you can resign Chandler Jones? added depth on the Dline. We all look at it differently my man

• acm says:

That still doesn’t make Preston Smith a 1st round talent though. Plus, the roster is a bit crowded with that type of player and they are unlikely to be able to carry more than 4-5 DEs. Is PS that better than what they already have or can potentially find deeper in the draft, if necessary? Don’t think so.

6. Dan Sullivan says:

Nice work on these lesser known players.
    Patriots Mock Draft
    Pats trade up to Arizona’s 24 pick and Take Eddie Goldman NT FSU
    1 Traded to Arizona
    2 Ali Marpet G Hobart College
    3 Ifo Ekpre Olomu CB Oregon
    3 Traded to Arizona
    4 Mike Hull ILB Penn State
    4 Anthony Chickillo DE Miami Florida
    6 Jake Ryan OLB Michigan
    7 Tye Smith CB Towson
    7 Junior Salt G Utah

• Jose Marques says:

I think if you have available in the second round Tre Jackson OG Florida state, will be named player

Agree Jackson OG at #2 and Marpet in 3rd although that leaves CB blowing in the wind.

• Jose Marques says:

And the following scenario is possible?

1. Eddie Goldman DT Florida State
          2. Tre Jackson OG Florida State
          3. Ifo Ekpre Olomu CB Oregon
          3. P.J.Williams CB Florida State
          4. Hau’Oli Kikaha DE/OLB Washington
          4. Mike Hull ILB/OLB Penn State
          6. Corey Robinson OT South Carolina
          7. Darren Waller WR Georgia Tech
          7. Karlos Williams RB Florida State

• Dan Sullivan says:

Hello Steve,

As far as Marpet over Jackson I recently watched highlights of Marpet he moves extremely
          well for his size and your right with Ifo Ekpre Olomu same size as some of free agents Patriots
          signed but just like them he is very talented. With the excellent safety play that we have I
          would not worry too much of the cornerbacks size.

• hdpaulie says:

Steve I’d be thrilled if we were able to get Jackson 2nd and Marpet 3rd. As far as CB, I don’t think the need is as big as most think. Sure we don’t have a true # 1, but we do have some talent at the position. I’ve been a believer in Butler going all the way back to camp last year. Nobody thought he had a chance to make the team, but his play left BB with no choice but to keep him. He is rarely out of position, and even when he gets beat, he doesn’t get beat cleanly. I’m hoping that either Fletcher or McClain will step up and earn a starting spot. Arrington is fine as long as we keep him in the slot. Dennard is a mystery to me and I feel he’s the key as to whether or not we need to draft a CB high. If BB feels that he can regain his form from 2 years ago then we’ll be fine for now. If not then we may have to get a CB fairly early, because I cringe every time Ryan takes the field. He seems to be constantly a step or 2 away from the ball when it arrives at the receiver. Unlike Butler, when Ryan gets beat he’s beaten cleanly. What is most telling is every time he enters the game the opposing QB targets him early and often, with a fair amount of success. Regardless of how it all plays out, we do need to draft or sign a CB. Just a matter of how high a pick we use. What’s your assessment of Ryan and what are the chances we could dump him as part of a draft day trade.

Oioma is on the small side and we have already a few of them. Better to look for a bigger less injury prone CB imo.

• acm says:

Wouldn’t call IEO injury prone due to one ACL injury. IIRC, that’s his first such injury. He may well need to red-shirt his rookie year though.
        He is on the smaller side but if he were to fall deep enough, he’d be a value pick difficult to pass up. Down the line I can envision IEO replace Arrington in the slot and he’s better on the outside anyways.

7. Jose Marques says:

what they think of the idea of the patriots come to make an exchange with draft choices to move up or down in the table? And with that teams could take place this trade? as happened in 2012 with two choices in the first round will be possible? what they think?

• Dan Sullivan says:

Hello Jose,

I don’t mind if BB makes 1 trade to target a great player but hope with the rest of the
      picks he sits tight as he has plenty of nice picks. Your 6th pick of Robinson and 7th
      of Williams would be quite useful to the Pats and I would be quite happy watching the draft.

Enjoy the Draft!

8. Michael says:

Sounds like Bonner’s issues can be fixed with experience and good coaching.

• Jose Marques says:

you think the Patriots will select a QB in this draft?

• Mike Gerken says:

I think the Patriots would draft a QB if they feel the value is good.
        The value would have to be outstanding to do so however, and I just don’t see that happening because of the position. I could see them drafting one late if they have a player they like as a developmental prospect who they might have a hard time signing after the draft.

BB will more often then most do the unexpected. Mike makes a good point about a developmental QB though I don’t expect it, it’s very possible late.

• 2014 NFL Draft