Putting together the Big Board: Offensive Guards and Centers

The Patriots could use an immediate contributor along the interior of the offensive line.

NEPD Staff Writer: Mike Gerken

Well, we made it.  This marks the final chapter of the Big Board series.  After this, I will be putting together my vertical big board with all these players ranked so you can get an idea of how I personally stack all these players from different positions against each other.  This has been a fun project for me and hopefully you have learned a little about some of these guys.  I plan on doing a 1st round mock and a full 7 round mock for the Patriots before Thursday as well, so you are not quite rid of me yet.  In this article, we focus on the interior offensive lineman.  Guard will be the main focus as the Patriots have a clear opening there that could be filled early in the draft.

Current Roster: Guard-Ryan Wendell, Josh Kline, Jordan Devey, Chris Barker, Cameron Flemming (T)

Center-Bryan Stork

Position Need: High

Position Overview:

You look at that current roster list and you quickly realize that the Patriots need to add some talent at the guard position.  In fact, the more I look at that group, the more I think they could do a double dip at interior lineman. Stork is solid at center and if for some reason he was to miss any time, Wendell can fill in adequately.  If that happens though, the thought of Kline or Devey playing significant minutes is really scary.  There is good talent throughout this draft at guard and center, so the Patriots should be able to bring in someone to compete for a starting job.

Draftable Options, Guard:

A.J. Cann, South Carolina (6’3″, 316 Lbs.) 1st/2nd round

Cann is a very reliable guard who moves well and stays balanced in his pass protection. He has a wide body with good hand use and mirroring skills. He can overextend in his run blocking and while he moves well in short spaces, he can start to lumber and lose balance when moving to the second level.  Cann is probably limited to playing left guard in the NFL, so there is no real position flexibility.  He plays with a nasty streak and loves to finish off blocks. He has a ton of experience against really good competition and should come in and start day 1.

Laken Tomlinson, Duke (6’3″, 323 Lbs.) 2nd round

Tomlinson is another wide bodied mauler with surprising quickness.  He sets up quickly and uses his hands very well.  Tomlinson is more of a phone booth type guy where he can use his strength and girth to keep his QB clean.  He is less athletic and effective when trying to block at the 2nd level. He has a tendency to get off balance and over extend on blocks.  Like Cann, he has a ton of experience and should be NFL ready day 1.

Tre Jackson, Florida State (6’4″, 330 Lbs.) 2nd/3rd round

Jackson is huge.  He has a big frame and carries his weight well, but will need to keep in check to stay conditioned and effective throughout the game. Jackson is very strong and is nearly impossible to move backwards.  He is a bit heavy footed but does a good job mirroring his man except for the fastest of rushers. He is a mauler in the run game and will consistently get opponents on the ground and punish them.

Ali Marpet, Hobart (6’4″, 307 Lbs.) 3rd round

Marpet is the feel good story of the draft.  He is very athletic for the position with excellent movement skills and balance to be an effective blocker at multiple levels.  From a physical and athletic standpoint, Marpet seems like a perfect prospect for the Patriots.  He more than held his own at the Senior Bowl and Scouting Combine.  He plays with a chip on his shoulder and looks to prove that he belongs.  He is an advanced technician for anyone coming out of college, let alone a guy from a Division III college.  Marpet has shorter arms than is preferred and needs to add bulk and strength to handle NFL defensive lineman.  He will be making a monumental jump in competition and his exposure to that level is very limited.  The team that takes him is doing so purely on his potential and trajectory and it may take him time to develop into an NFL ready player.

Arie Kouandjio, Alabama (6’5″, 310 Lbs.) 4th round

Kouandijo is another player with a good build and long arms for the position.  He bends well for a guy his size and he uses his long arms to his advantage.  He needs some help with his footwork and it sometimes looks like his upper and lower body are out of sync.  He has had multiple knee injuries and that is a concern.  Kouandijo has a brother in the NFL so he should have an idea of what to expect when he gets to the NFL.  He is better as a run blocker than pass blocker, and he is probably limited to playing just left guard in the NFL.

Mitch Morse, Missouri (6’5″, 305 Lbs.) 4th/5th round

Morse played tackle in college,but will move inside in the NFL.  He has shorter than ideal arms, but is very athletic and has good movement skills.  He could play some center as well, giving him a lot of position flexibility.  Morse is a smart player with good balance who can be effective as a second level blocker.  Morse needs to get bigger and stronger to handle NFL caliber defensive lineman. Morse is a blue collar guy who plays the game smart and puts in the work to improve.  He is a very intriguing option that will improve once he gets into an NFL strength and conditioning program.

Jamon Brown, Louisville (6’4″, 323 Lbs.) 5th round

Brown is an absolute monster. He has a wide base that makes it nearly impossible for defenders to get around. He moves surprisingly well in space and can be effective getting to the second level.  He should excel moving inside where his lack of laterally agility won’t get over exposed. He tends to bend at the waist to much which creates balance issues.  He is a big guy that will have to have his weight monitored. Brown would benefit from losing some weight to give him a little more balance and increased athleticism and conditioning.

Sean Hickey, Syracuse (6’5″, 309 Lbs.) 6th round

Hickey looks the part of previous Patriots guards.  He plays with good balance and footwork.  Hickey is a good athlete who moves well in space and stays under control.  He does have shorter arms and needs to add strength to his frame, but has the room to do so.  Hickey is known for his hard work on and off the field and should be a good locker room guy.  He played both tackle positions in college, but never any guard, so it will be a new position for him to learn.

Austin Shepherd, Alabama (6’4″, 315 Lbs.) 7th round

Shepherd is a technician with no real physical traits that stand out, but he got the job done consistently in college.  He is not a plus athlete, but he has good footwork and he uses his hands well to consistently hold his ground. He is a smart player who takes good angles on blocks and is aware of what is going on around him.  Shepherd needs to add strength so he can maintain blocks longer and can get beat by quicker rushers because he tends to play stiff.  Shepherd might not be a starter, but could be a quality backup at multiple position in the NFL.

Interesting UDFA’s:

Mark Glowinski, West Virginia (6’4″, 307 Lbs.)

Jon Feliciano, Miami (6’4″, 323 Lbs.)

Bobby Hart, Florida State (6’5″, 329 Lbs.)

Draftable Options: Centers

Cameron Erving, Florida State (6’5″, 313 Lbs.) 1st/2nd round

Erving is a player I have struggled with.  I see the upside and he played much better once he moved inside.  To me, he plays high which allows defenders to get into his chest and push him back.  He is very athletic and can get up to the next level.  Erving plays with the type of demeanor I look for from my offensive lineman. He has serious footwork issues that need to be corrected. He consistently takes ten steps when he could do it in 3.  This leaves him off balance and he loses all his athletic advantages.  He will be learning a third new position, but on the other hand, he is one of the most if not the most versatile lineman in this draft.  I can see the appeal because of his upside.  I don’t love him as a first round pick, but understand it.  I would be much happier with a small trade down if he indeed is a target for the Patriots.

Shaq Mason, Georgia Tech (6’2″, 310 Lbs.) 4th/5th round

Mason is guy with a great combination of athleticism and power.  He comes from a primarily run offense, so his pass protection skill set is a bit of an unknown.  He is very fluid in his movements and is a run blocking is very impressive.  He is shorter than ideal with short arms, but I think he could still be an option at guard as well.  He was asked to do a ton of cut blocking in college and he will need some technique work to play in a more conventional offense.  He plays with a mean streak and has a lot of starting experience at both guard positions.  Mason is underrated because of the scheme that his team played in college, but he has the movement skills and temperament to help a team in the NFL.

Max Garcia, Florida (6’4″, 309 Lbs.) 6th round

Garcia has good size for the position and could even play guard in the NFL.  He will not wow you with his overall athleticism, but he has a good lower base to anchor.  Garcia has good arm length and active hands and he uses them well.  He is a strong leader and hard worker.  Garcia is tough, smart player that gets the job done despite his athletic limitations.

Greg Mancz, Toledo (6’4″, 301 Lbs.) 7th round

Mancz is another player with a lot of experience at a lot of different positions.  He moves really well and has the speed and athleticism to get downfield and block at the second level.  Mancz is a smart player that keeps his head on a swivel to see what is going on around him. He is a tactician that plays with good leverage and technique.  He lacks strength to be consistently effective at the next level, but has the frame and the dedication to do so.  Mancz is a very versatile player that could develop into a special player down the road.

as always, you can follow me on twitter @midwestpatsfan

31 Responses to “Putting together the Big Board: Offensive Guards and Centers”

1. steve earle says:

With only two days to go my last mock. So many good ideas, thoughts and possibilities I find I’ve come full circle. As much as I’d like a great CB or D-line to slide to us at #32 it seems unlikely. Therefor my mock represents my best guess as to who will be available and give us the strongest overall draft.

1#32 Trade back for a high 2nd and 3rd
    2x Laken Tomlinson OG Duke ( plug in early starter)
    2#64 Markus Golden DE/OLB Missu (flexible early rotational at positions noted)
    3y Markus Hardison DE/DT Arz St (flexible early rotational at positions)
    3#96 Arie Kouandjio OG Ala ( Plug in early starter)
    3 comp Lorenzo Maulden LB Lou’vl ( flexible depth, situational player)
    4#101 Steve Nelson CB Ore St ( depth, compete for spot play time)
    4#131 Nick O’Leary TE/H-back ( compete with Devlin, add TE depth)
    6#177 Kristian Sokoli NT Buff ( Depth/ comp at interior d-line)
    7#219 Terrance McGee RB LSU ( compete with RB White for Vereen’s spot)
    7#253 Kayshone Jarrett CB/SS Vir Tech ( Sp teams bookend to Slater on kick coverage)

Great job this year by all staff and fans making reply’s. Best draft site on web imo.
    GO PATS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Rick says:

1st round mock

3. Dan Sullivan says:

Patriots Mock Draft.
    1 Jalen Collins CB LSU
    2 A.J. Cann G South Carolina
    3 Za Darius Smith DE Kentucky
    3 T.J. Yeldon RB Alabama
    4 Cody Prewitt S Mississippi
    4 Ben Koyack TE Notre Dame
    6 Chaz Green OT Florida
    7 Stefon Diggs WR Maryland
    7 Austin Hill WR Arizona

Almost time to get into the Man Cave for the Draft!

• matt says:

I do like Koyack I think he would be a great fit. I would they rather they draft David Johnson over Yeldon. I think he would be a great replacement for Vereen.

Looking back at my last years Patriot Mock, 2014:

1st- QB ,A.J. McCarron , now a back-up in Cinny.
    2nd – OLB, Tevlin Smith, Solid player in Jacksonville.
    3d -TE, Athur Lynch, Back-up in Miami
    4th- RB Tyler Gaffney, ended up a Patriot, after the draft.
    5th -LB Avery Williams, Outstanding LB in Tenn. (Best player on this board)
    6h- WR Jeff Janis, back-up player in Green Bay
    7th- CB Aaron Colvin, limited action, but good looking player for Jacksonville
    7th- DT Zac Kerr, rotational starter for Indy.

This year Patriot draft, 2015;

My top 4 choices at #32 , in order;
      OL Cameron Erving
      OLB Eli Harold
      OG LakenTomlinson
      CB/S Eric Rowe

6. Jim R says:

If you put Phillip Dorsett in the Patriots Offense it would be electric. Bubble screens and pick plays this guy would be a defense’s nightmare.

Upon seeing all of the confusion surrounding DT Malcom Brown and RB Malcolm Brown, both of Texas, does anyone think it is possible that a team confuses the two and attempts to draft the wrong player? I remember two years ago that Jordan Cameron received a call intended for Cameron Jordan, so it seems like these mix-ups do happen. Since the RB Brown has the more commonly spelled first name, my sleeper pick for the first round is a potentially costly name error.

Patriots final Mock 2015 no trades;
    #32- Laken Tomlinson OG Has had private work-outs with coach Scar. I see Tomlinson starting day one at ROG with Wendel moving to LOG. Only fear is Indy taking him at #29.
    #64- Davis Tull OLB Maybe early here, but a great prospect, spiecal teams guy day one. Bright future for the Patriots at LB, Collins type player!!
    #96- Kenny Bell WR Another great fit into the Patriots system, Blocking a plus at the WR position. I’ve watched alot of WR tape and Bell is the BEST Fit for the Patrios future at WR.
    #97- Xavier Williams DT Smaller school prospect, but great future, sorry he was not at the Combine, but better value for the Patriots.
    #101- Adrain Amos S/CB A real Sleeper in this draft, alot of experince (Which BB likes). Chung’s replacement in 2016.
    #131- Anthony Chickillo DE/OLB This was hard for me as Chickillo and Henry Anderson both scored the same on my Patriot draft board for differant reasons. Chickillo’s short area quickness won out over Anderson’s better size.
    #177- Rob Haverstein OT This maybe to late for Rob, but if available he fits the ROT mold for the Patriots future. IF Haverstein is gone, Lawrance Gibson OT is my scond choice here.
    #219- Karlos Williams RB/S some past red flags, but value here at 6’+ 230lbs, 4.4 40yd. His tape in 2013 was better at S, and I see him as a spiecal teams/kick returner.
    #253- Brey Cook OL At 6’6 315lbs Cook played LOT,ROT, LOG, and is very intelligent HIGH charcater prospect. His tape is solid, for a guy who just does his job.

• Ryan says:

I love all your picks except for Tull. Picking Tull at that point would be incredibly poor value in my opinion. He seems like a 3rd-rounder through and through and I would rather grab a cornerback or pass rusher with a good chance to start, because if our linebacker corps is healthy I doubt that Tull will start. I don’t see a reason to draft a backup linebacker in round 2, and there will definitely be talent available at pick 64 that could start for the Pats next year. In my eyes Tull is a third-rounder, because he doesn’t look like he has a chance to make a dynamic impact on our defense. He will provide top-end special teams play and solid depth, but I would be much more interested in grabbing Alex Carter or Nate Orchard if they fell to us.

• acm says:

Not sure I’d use “incredibly poor value” to describe drafting a player in late second who according to you is a “3rd rounder thru and thru”.
        While I’d hope there would be somewhat better value available at 64 for the Pats, even if it were to mean drafting up in the 3rd to get Tull, I certainly wouldn’t exclude BB going for Tull at 64. There are a lot of similarities between Tull and Collins and the main reason why the former didn’t blow-up the combine in similar fashion was because he was injured and could perform only in a couple of low profile events.
        Considering BB would have drafted Collins even in the 1st back in 2013, and the level of freakish athleticism Tull has, drafting him at 64 doesn’t sound like all that of a reach to me and would be certainly something I could see BB do.

As for taking Carter or Orchard at 64, I’d rather have Tull, tbh. Carter doesn’t have the measurables Pats tend to look for at the position in order to prioritize that early, while Orchard is average thru out the board, lacks athleticism to play in space (i.e. lacks scheme flexibility) and is too weak to set the the edge. Actually, I would be surprised if the Pats even consider him at all, especially that early.

• Ryan says:

Sorry, I wasn’t at all clear when I said Tull was a third-rounder through and through. I meant that he looks like average value when he pick at 96. At 96, he wouldn’t surprise me or excite me. Thus, to me he makes sense at 96 and not at all at 64. My point with Orchard is that he is a pass-rusher who needs to develop in space, and on our roster at this point we have three top-end linebackers when all are healthy (Mayo, Hightower and Collins) and perhaps two elite rushers (Sheard and Jones- I consider Ninkovich a guy who holds the edge very well and capitalizes on mistakes, not one who creates mistakes). I think we definitely have room for an effective pass rusher and Orchard could be that guy. And if not Carter, whom I consider average value for pick 64, then another cornerback who can play the outside year one in case Fletcher, Dennard or anyone else cannot.

9. J H TARBORO says:

I know this off the subject, but checkout these 2 LBs the Pats worked out LB Tavarus Dantzler-Bethune-Cookman and LB Neville Hewitt- Marshall. Dantzler has some of the best tape as a coverage LB. Any opinions????

• Russell says:

Interesting prospect 6’11/2″ 237lbs runs a 4.65-4.67 40 yd, seems slow for that size. The Steelers are sending a scout to Florida to work him out. Moves well on limited tape.

• acm says:

Not familiar with Dantzler but have Hewitt and Gabe Martin (Bowling Green) as late 7th/priority UDFAs for depth at LB. Very similar prospects – good potential, leadership (both were captains) … and some injury history there too ;).
      My personal favorite for LB depth in that area of the draft is Marcus Rush (Mich St) – a Patriots player thru and thru.

• Dan Sternberg says:

I am also big on Marcus Rush. There was a post in here earlier about him as the best DE no one has heard of. I live in MI now and married a MSU grad so we have gravitated to MSU football. have seen a lot of this guy and think he would be a great fit. Little bit undersized (short) but a great football player. I don’t think the pro personnel people have overlooked him, and I bet he is a surprise pick higher in the draft that any of the “experts” think.

10. MM-II says:

Also, before I forget (again): really great series, Mike! Thanks for all the hard work that went into it!

• Mike Gerken says:

Thanks for the kind words MM-II

• acm says:

Great work, Mike G.

• Greg says:

Would you like to transfer our conversation to this topic or remain in the other?

• MM-II says:

Greg –

In reply to your post in the tackles thread:

The “value” part is the hardest, starting with who’s actually the “best” guy?

A quick review of the gazillion online amateur (and media) scouting reports shows that there’s an enormous amount of disagreement about that. The beat reporter for the Packers (an unusually sharp and objective fella) annually presents a survey of brief blurbs from (anonymous) NFL team scouts for a few of the top prospects at each position (that the Packers might be interested in) and there’s almost always disagreement there (sometimes radical disagreement). If you surveyed all the position coaches, coordinators, Head Coaches and GMs around the league, you’d probably get a similar amount of disagreement (even among coaches/personnel guys on the same team).

Of course, part of that disagreement from the perspective of the teams is related to how the teams view a prospect through the lens of their own schemes and tactical/strategic projections and intentions. The obvious example here is that even an uber-athletic CB prospect who was seenas excellent in zone coverage in college wouldn’t necessarily be rated as highly by a team that’s committed to a press-man scheme. A rawer prospect who may have a higher perceived ceiling might not be valued as highly by a team that needs an immediate impact player at a particular position. And so on.

The other, and probably the biggest part, of prospect evaluation disagreements comes down to the simple differences in all-too-human perception, including confirmation bias, motive, “beer goggles”, an irrational dislike of a particular school, a rational unwillingness to deal with a particular agent, etc. And then there are differences in the quality (and authority) of scouting departments and front offices. For example, how many times have you read about a newly-hired head coach or GM assembling a group of coaches, scouts, assistants who he’s worked with before? And then think about how often, in the business (or government) world outside football, a boss, especially a new one, passes over a guy who’d be really good in a job so that he can hire his own buddy (or someone he owes a favor to).

And then there’s ego involved, especially on draft day and even for awhile afterward. You have to consider how many of the REAL shot-callers around the league are OWNERS who think they know more about football and about building a winning team than they actually do (see: Woody Johnson) and who may have a huge, often behind-the-scenes impact on selections (and trades) made in the first couple rounds (see: Jerrah Jones). Even post-draft, how many practice reps and how much playing time is literally handed to one of the owner’s “pet” selections compared to guys who were drafted later and who might otherwise have develop into better players? Among owners, and GMs as well, there’s a certain level of obsession with getting significant ROI out of “sunk costs”. Seriously, this is exactly how things went with the Lions for decades, based on my own personal knowledge, and one aspect in which BB and the Pats may differ somewhat from other teams. So, there’s an element of self-fulfilling prophecy in how many early-round picks become immediate starters compared to later-round picks.

You also have to think about how many GMs (who may or may not know better) are willing/able to overrule the owners who hired them wrt who they draft as opposed to overruling the HCs who work for THEM. How many HCs are able/willing to overrule their GMs? And so on down the hierarchy through the Scouting Directors, Coordinators and position coaches. It shouldn’t be a shock to anyone that the guys who may have the most accurate read on a prospect’s actual potential to succeed on their team may also have the least amount of decision-making power in the organizational hierarchy. Just think about your own workplace. Why would the NFL be any different?

The point to all the above is to demonstrate that, even when a relative “consensus” appears to be built around a prospect or set of prospects, it’s far from being the purely objective and rational determination of immutable “talent” (whatever that is) that most fans treat it as. And, of course, most of what we think we “know” about how “good” these prospects are likely to turn out to be at the NFL level comes from the perceptions/evaluations of media analysts (which actually may be no “better” than our own) wrt the prospects AND their perceptions/evaluations of the “needs” of the various teams (which may differ greatly from the perceptions/evaluations of the team’s coaches and personnel guys – and owners) all combined with their opinions about what a team SHOULD do and what a team WILL do (based on what they’ve heard from “unnamed inside sources”).

So, where a prospect is projected to be drafted is only partly about his actual potential to succeed in the NFL. To a much greater degree than most people seem to think, it’s about the prospect’s “popularity” with media analysts and the perceived extent and intensity of the demand among teams for the guy’s services. And that demand factor (the actual one, not just what the media tells us), of course, is what really determines when BB will need to take a guy if he really wants him (see: Tavon Wilson). I mean, teams don’t trade up in a draft based on the vague notion that “that’s where the better players are available”, they trade up for a specific prospect who they (rightly or wrongly) really want and in order to get ahead of other teams who they THINK will also want him.

In a nutshell, all of the above non-football stuff contributes a great deal to making the draft a “crapshoot”.

And the obvious corollary here is that how early/high a prospect ends up getting drafted is not some final, objective, absolute determination of his “talent” or ultimate ceiling in the NFL compared to guys who end up getting drafted later or signed as UDFAs. The fact that some DT gets drafted at #32 after the Pats pass on him does not dictate that he WOULD have been a huge upgrade (if any upgrade at all) over Siliga simply because Siliga was a mere UDFA.

This is not to say that there are NO initial differences whatsoever between guys who are sought after by enough teams to get drafted in the first couple rounds versus guys who don’t get drafted until much later. The later guys probably have relatively more/bigger flaws in their games, and/or size and or experience and/or athleticism, all of which are fairly plain for all to see. But those initial differences aren’t universally so dramatic that they can’t eventually (perhaps quickly) be erased (or exaggerated) by the situation they’re drafted into – the system/scheme, the quality/stability of the coaching regime, the locker room, etc.

Yeah, at least on paper, a guy who gets drafted in the early rounds SHOULD have higher odds of eventually becoming a “better player” in general terms, and probably sooner, than a guy who gets drafted later. But, the odds aren’t necessarily 5:2 versus 500:1. And, the reality is that every NFL team ends up with about as many late-rounders and UDFAs as 1st/2nd rounders playing significant roles (if not starting) on their active rosters, whether they originally acquired the guy on draft weekend or not. IOW, eventually, “draft pedigree” ceases to matter, especially for teams that win consistently from year-to-year.

• Greg says:

Analizing your point, I see you are completely right. Our thoughts are mostly media based and “team based”, and for your pointed reasons and many others, not always an early round pick will become a better player. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.

11. MM-II says:

Y’know, the longer I look at Cam Erving, the more convinced I am that he’s just as perfect for the Pats as Bitonio was last year – which means that BB will probably pass on him at #32 in favor of a prospect at a completely different position who’s not on anyone’s board for the Pats and may, in fact, be recovering from an injury.

• Russell says:

HAHA, maybe a rugby prospect for the Oline? No worry about Erving ,I think Kanas City takes him at #18.

• acm says:

Ogbuehi and Ekpre-Olomu didn’t play for Florida, so they are out of the equation.
      D.J. Humphries doesn’t have an ACL but has a lengthy history of injuries, so if he is still on board, all bets are off, imo.

On a serious note:
      1) The closer we get to the draft, I have bigger and bigger doubts Erving even falls to the Pats
      2) I am more worried about who BB reaches for in the 2nd this year. We should prep a list of 7th round/UDFA CBs/SAFs or maybe this year will be a LB.

Nice job again M. Gerken, looking forward to your Mocks!
    The only other prospect I have on my Patriot draft board is Hroniss Grasu, who has played OC and I would move to OG. He is more of the “old type” Olineman that coach Sarc liked with the European back ground/ work ethic. Likely drafted as an OC to Kanas City, or Seattle 2nd-3d round. An intelligent prospect, hard worker, gets to the second level, blocks with a mean streak. Needs more weight.

• 2014 NFL Draft