2015 NFL Draft: Patriots Draft Malcom Brown (DL, Texas)

NEPD Editor: James Christensen

After a long wait with smells of deep-dish pizza wafting through the night air, Bill Belichick and his New England Patriots finally were on the clock. After some initial confusion regarding a trade, the Patriots went down to Texas and picked themselves up a brand new defensive lineman — Malcom Brown.

Brown is a 6’2″, 320-pound behemoth that enjoys living in the opponent’s backfield. He isn’t a Vince Wilfork space-eater, preferring to penetrate and disrupt. If he is singled in the run game, Brown shows the ability to easily slip blocks and get his hands on the ball-carrier. He notched 69 tackles and 6.5 sacks during his junior campaign in 2014.

Brown will need to diversify his rush moves and improve his technique against double-teams to excel in New England. Some feel that he is a possible fit as a two-gapping 5-tech in an odd front, but I’m concerned with his ability to anchor and disengage. He has the ability, just hasn’t always shown the technique to get it done.

The Nagurski-finalist should compete with Dominique Easley, Sealver Siliga, Alan Branch and company for snaps early on in his career. He can excel at either the 1-technique or 3-technique.

Belichick praised Brown’s maturity level in the post-draft press conference. Brown is married with children and spends time volunteering for Adam’s Angels, a charity that helps children and families affected by cancer.

The Patriots have drafted a defensive front-seven player with their first pick for the last four years.

Tags: ,

43 Responses to “2015 NFL Draft: Patriots Draft Malcom Brown (DL, Texas)”

1. Roxy Bob says:

Hau’oli Kikaha, Paul Dawson, Davis Tull, or Bendearick McKinney all would make sense today. I agree with Bill Polian that Malcom Brown could be the steal of the draft so far. BB must have a horseshoe up his ass !!!

• Scott Smith says:

Good 6th round LB could be Taiwan Jones from Michigan State, big nasty dude.

2. Scott Smith says:

I like PJ Williams (CB) at 64th and my sleeper pick would be Tre McBride (WR) at either 96, 97 or 101.

I would take a flier on OG’s later.

2nd round mock;
    Balt.- DT Jordan Phillip
    Den.-QB Garrett Grayson
    Indy. -OLB Hauoli Kikaha
    G.B.- OLB Paul Dawson
    Sea- WR Devin Smith
    N.E. – OLB Lorezo Mauldin

Lots of good names here Russell. Should be a very interesting afternoon today. Hoping a couple more surprise names come down to us.

4. steve earle says:

Outstanding!! Who would have predicted Brown being around at #32? Not me! Now if BB can get us a couple plug in starters at OG I’ll feel a little better about the Jets first pick.

5. Jim R says:

Next three picks would love to see them come out of it with Corner, OLINE and DE/OLB. I think they move around a little bit tonight. IMO getting Brown where they did was very fortunate. I would of thought at the start of the draft they would have to trade up to get him

6. acm says:

My list of players Pats may entertain taking in the 2-3rd round area of the draft, including trading up:

2nd round:
    OL: Jake Fisher, AJ Cann, Ali Marpet
    RB: Duke Johnson
    CB: Eric Rowe, Jalen Collins
    DE: Owa Odighizuwa, Danielle Hunter
    LB: Davis Tull, Eli Harold (better value than in 1st round)

3rd round:
    OL: Mitch Morse, Mark Glowinski
    WR: Rashad Greene, Tyler Lockett, Kenny Bell
    RB: David Johnson, David Cobb, Mike Davis
    CB: Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Alex Carter, Steven Nelson
    SAF: Jaquiski Tartt, Adrian Amos
    DE: Trey Flowers, Lorenzo Mauldin
    LB: Paul Dawson, Jake Ryan
    DT: Marcus Hardison (value in late 3rd could be too good to pass on)

• Greg says:

You forgot Ronald Darby and Kwon Alexander

• Dylan says:

Dream scenario would be trade up for Eric Rowe in the 2nd, Kwon Alexander in the 3rd, and then find a guard in the later rounds. Maybe the guy from West Virginia Mark Glowinski.

• acm says:

No, I didn’t forget them 😉

• AM says:

Yeah, I think you’ve covered all the bases . . . :)

A Cann-Morse-Johnson trifecta would be fantastic. I don’t know that Cann falls to #64, though–might take some moving up. I also have much love for Rashad Greene, but would rather wait on WR for a bit.

• carlo strada says:

Hardison in the 3rd, besides of being a great value pick, would also serve as insurance in case Easleys knees dont pan out. If a guy like Hardison or Bennett fall considerable id take a shot at either one.

Players for the Patriots still on my board 2-3 rounds;
    Other good Prospects:
    DE Hunter
    OL Clemmings
    DE Odighizuwa
    WR Strong

8. MM-II says:

After exercising Chandler Jones’ 2016 option and drafting Brown, it seems like a pretty good bet that DT and 260#+ edge-rushers are off the Pats board until Day-3, now.

OLB and/or ILB could still be in play.

Damarious Randall and Stephone Anthony were 1st-rounders in probably a pretty small percentage of mocks. If Brown had been off the board, I thought the Pats could have gone for either one of these two at #32.

• MM-II says:

If Hunter has significant OLB potential in the Pats’ view, he could still be on their board, I suppose. Eli Harold, too.

• Jeff says:

Yeah, if Owa or Hunter are available, even with a trade up, they may have the type of talent that the Pats think they would need to use a first rounder on next season, when they will likely be drafting a replacement for Ninkovich. A guard or corner would project to help more this year, and a linebacker would project to help more next season with Mayo likely gone, but if the plethora of edge players pushes some real talent that far down in the draft, I could definitely see Bill pouncing. A top CB would wait until next year, but the D-Line would be sick.

Patriots did VERY well to grab DT Brown who was surprisingly on the Board. Sorry to miss out on Tomlinson class guy, but Brown is better value.

10. Uncle Drew says:

Lucky isn’t even the word lol.. We get Easley last year who could’ve been a top 5 pick if he didn’t get hurt. We sign Sheard for cheap, who could’ve been a 1st round pick in his draft.. And now we end up with the 2nd best NT in the draft, a top 12 pick after losing Revis and Wilfork. We have the best front 7 right now in my opinion. Chandler Jones will benefit from having Brown next to him. He and Ninko could actually take snaps off for rest and we could use Easley, Sheard, Branch and Brown in a 4-3 look. Endless possibilities !!!

• KNOWLEDGE says:

I still think with Wilkerson, Richardson, and now Leonard William the Jets have a ridiculous front. Buffalo and Miami also have top 5 defensive fronts. We got alot better up front, but still probably 4th in the AFC East with guys like Dareus, Mario Williams, Suh, Cameron Wake, the division is deep up front. We are improving though, I like this pick alot!

• Uncle Drew says:

No doubt every team in the AFC East is loaded up front right. I’ll give the Jets a slight edge with the best front 4 but that could go either way as well especially if Sheard has a breakout year and gets 10 or more sacks. I think our LBs are what gives us the advantage as the best front 7 though. Collins, Hightower, Sheard and Mayo. That’s a lot of versatility in that front 7. I definitely think we will be top 5 against the run. Might see 3 AFC East teams in that category.

Right about Jets d-line. Hope Bill gets u a coupe OG’s to keep TB from being killed. All four AFC east teams should be tough to run against and Div could come down to who can protect their QB best.

11. KNOWLEDGE says:

I think they got a top 15 talent and the 2nd best DT in the draft. He is not a typical 340 pound DT that can’t get skinny and split the gap and make plays and disrupt plays up the middle. Not to mention he is only 20 years old. I think he immediately comes in and is your best DT. I like that he can play DE in a 3-4 and the 1 and 3 technique in a 4-3. If Easley is healthy and is as good as we think he can be, the versatility these guys give you are huge. I like the idea of having the ability to put Easley and Brown at DE in a 3-4 with Salinga or Branch in the middle, and having Jones and Ninko flying off the edges causing havoc on 3rd down. Or Easley and Brown at DT in the 4-3. Great value.

I don’t think the Pats have to draft an OL until round 4. You can get a starting Guard all the way in rounds 4-6. With these next 3 picks, they need to pick skills positions. All the good WR’s, CB’s and RB’s are going to fly off the board in the 2nd round. I’d like to see them move up in round 2 to get a Jalen Strong at WR, Eric Rowe or going up and getting a “weed guy” that is the best pass rusher in the draft and is worth the risk in the 2nd round. I’d also like to see them come away with one of the Florida State CB’s who would be a steal at 64. Also they need to come away with a RB. I would love to see Tevin Coleman, TJ Yeldon or Duke Johnson in rounds 2 or 3. Once you get to the early 4th we can get a solid offensive lineman. Most starting interior lineman were drafted in round 3 or later.

Am I the only one who loves Jamison Crowder WR from Duke? I look at him and see Darren Sproles and can be used in the slot or out of the backfield in shotgun. I’d love to grab him in the 6th if he is there. Classic Patriot!

• Uncle Drew says:

I think Bill should do whatever he can to trade up and get one of the Saints picks. There are a lot WRs. Crowder is explosive but he’s really not gonna get any snaps paying behind Edelman and Amendola. I just think he’s too similar to those guys and it takes years to develop WRs outside of the first round. He’d be a special teams guy at best at least for a couple years. I’m thinking trade Dobson and a 2016 3rd pick for the saints 75th pick. I do agree, we can always get a OG later, but Bill loves Trent Jackson. He is big, very athletic OG and putting him with Stork would make our run game better. I think P.J. Williams will fall because of the off the field issues and he’ll likely be there at 75th but we could take him to be safe. If not, I know Josh Shaw will be there and he’s a very good talent as well.

Best Player Available
      64th. Sammie Coates WR or P.J Williams
      75th. Tre Jackson OG Florida State
      96th. Hau’oli Kikaha OLB Washington
      97th. Rakeem Nunez-Roches DT Southern Miss
      101st. Dres Anderson WR Utah
      131st. Cody Prewitt FS/SS Ole Miss
      177th. Tray Walker* CB Texas Southern
      219th. Andrew Donnal OT Iowa
      253rd. Sage Harold* OLB James Madison

FA: Kenny Hilliard RB LSU

12. Dan Sullivan says:

If BB decides to move up in second round these are the guys I would target.
    1 Jake Fisher OT/G Oregon
    2 Jalen Collins CB LSU
    3 Landon Collins SS Alabama
    4 A.J. Cann G South Carolina
    5 Eli Harold OLB Virginia
    6 Tre’ Jackson G FSU

Those guys all could have been first round choices.

• Kevan says:

Eric rowe Ronald Darby too

• KNOWLEDGE says:

I love Ronald Darby and think the Pats might have to move up 10-15 spots to grab him. I also really like PJ Williams and think due to some minor off field issues will be there at 64.

Don’t be surprised if they wait until pick 97 or 101 and get 1st Team All American CB Senquez Golson from Ole Miss. I really think they will pick a RB or WR with the first pick day 2.

That imo would be a huge mistake. After just talking about how strong the Div front 7’s now are you ignore out o-line. Tom can’t throw from on his back and runners can’t gain a yd if they are hit in the backfield because we have no OG’s to keep DT’s at bay.

• MM-II says:

Rowe, Darby, Collins, Rollins and Williams seem to be the most likely DBs to go off the board in the 2nd. Some chance that one of Tartt, Campbell, Shaw or D’Joun Smith could sneak in there, I suppose.

OT/OG Donovan Smith could be a surprise play for the Pats in the 2nd, depending on how they read the demand for him. Same thing (as “surprises”), maybe, for Rashad Greene, Tyler Lockett or David Johnson, though I’m guessing that OL or DB is more likely next up and WR/RB get pushed back until the 3rd.

• MM-II says:

If they want to move up:

64 + 96 = 52 , Philly (getting a 7th back)
      64 + 101 = 54, DET (getting a 7th back)

64 + 96 + 178 = 49 (KCY)
      64 + 96 + 131 = 47 (MIA)

13. howie horvath says:

And the rich get richer!

14. hdpaulie says:

Sometimes you have to be lucky, and for tonight, that’s just what the Pats were. I was wondering why BB was waiting to move on him. The value was there even if we moved up several spots. By the time he got to 26, I thought there was no way he’d fall all the way down to 32. BB had some real balls to wait it out. We could have very easily lost our chance to get him. Pairing him on the inside with a healthy Easley should allow us to get a lot of pressure from the front 4 without having to blitz.

Your expecting Easley to be healthy? Well we can hope but my question is for how long? I have little hope as far as he is concerned.

15. Dan Sullivan says:

Patriots draft has already been a success they should just sit back and make the rest of their picks.
    Never thought they would get Brown at 32 as I really felt he would be gone at 15. I really
    wanted them to trade the first for additional picks until I saw Brown was still on the board.

None of us thought Brown would be at #32. Glad he was. Sitting back is unlikely given BB’s history. I’m hoping for those OG’s I’ve been talking about.

16. yb says:

love it , great program is texas U . this guy is a beast at 6’2 319 . line him with easely and chandler jones . please no injuries this is gonna be fun to watch ,,, and there young . Lets keep going now Bill with 3 picks tomorrow cb like rowe at 64 ? o line rb 96 ,97 ??

17. yb says:

love it , great program is texas U . this guy is a beast at 6’2 319 . line him with easely and chandler jones . please no injuries Dis gonna be fun to watch ,,, and there young . Lets keep going now Bill with 3 picks tomorrow cb like rowe at 64 ? o line rb 96 ,97 ??

18. acm says:

have to say never expected Malcom Brown would fall this far in the 1st, especially with 3 top tier prospects – Ray, Gregory, L. Collins – falling and theoretically moving players like Brown up the board.
    Very good pick for the Pats, imo.

19. Kevan says:

Really happy with this pick.

20. J H TARBORO says:

This is the right player we needed, and i still don’t believe he fell to us! This is the beginning of our best draft in years!!!

21. AM says:

Outstanding pick. Great versatility, great work ethic, improved every year.

• 2014 NFL Draft