Scouting Report: Tyeler Davison, DT

Davison could be a nice option and a good fit for the Patriots if they decide to wait on DT.

NEPD Staff Writer: Mike Gerken

With just a month until the draft, we have hit the home stretch.  Hopefully in the next 4 weeks I can get to as many prospects as possible so you loyal readers are as informed and as up to date as possible on players the Patriots probably won’t pick.  As I look at the state of the Patriots roster, a few positions stick out to me that will need to be addressed in the draft.  One of those positions is defensive line.  Unfortunately, the Patriots don’t have 5 first round picks, so some of these positions will need to be filled later in the draft.  Tyeler Davison is a player who will be available in the later rounds and could contribute, so let’s see what he might bring to the team that drafts him.

Name: Tyeler Davison

School: Fresno State (Sr.)

Height: 6’2″

Weight: 316 Lbs.

Combine Results:

• Arm Length: 34″
  • Hand Size: 10¾”
  • 10 Yard Dash: 1.82
  • 40 Yard Dash: 5.18
  • Bench Press: 32
  • Vertical Jump: 33″
  • Broad Jump: 105″
  • 3 Cone Drill: 7.53
  • 20 Yard Shuttle: 4.46

Positives:

Davison has a unique combination of strength and quickness.  He has a wide frame and long arms which he uses to his advantage in both the run and pass game.  One of Davison’s best features is his hands.  Not only are they very active, but he uses them effectively and consistently.  He has a nice variety of pass rush moves and he varies the use of them throughout the game to keep opposing linemen off balance.  Davison has a quick first step and is a pocket disruptor when opposing teams do not double team him.  He also shows the ability to get skinny and wedge through double teams as well.  In the games I watched, Davison was double and even triple teamed on a majority of snaps, and he showed that he could anchor effectively.  He has really good balance and above average athleticism for a big guy.  As a senior, he played 80% of the defensive snaps and was as disruptive in the 4th quarter as he was in the 1st.  This speaks highly to his work ethic and his motor.  Davison is also known as a high character guy.

Negatives:

Despite posting a very good 3 cone time at the Scouting Combine, the tape shows that Davison does struggle with his change of direction.  I also noticed that he doesn’t always play with great leverage and when he plays high, he is much easier to manipulate.  I am not sure if it was over aggressiveness or lack of football awareness, but I did notice that he would lose track of the football sometimes, and it led to missed tackles and big plays by the offense.  Some might say that he does not have ideal height for the position and he can be engulfed by bigger offensive linemen.  Fresno State did not play the toughest of competition and when they did play better teams, Davison did not have his greatest games.

Overall:

Like I said above, Davison brings a unique skill set to the defensive tackle position.  He is very strong and surprisingly quick, and when he plays with proper leverage and technique, he is almost unstoppable.  He is shorter, but he has really long arms, and I think that combination can create issues for offensive lineman, so his height doesn’t really scare me.  I think it would benefit him to put on a little bit more weight as he is a little light in the pants to hold up against double teams in the NFL.  If he can do that and keep his quickness, in a few years he could be a real force on the inside.  He needs some coaching on technique and play recognition before he can be a regular contributor, but give him a year to develop and adjust to the NFL and you could have a 3 down star on your hands.  He is a Day 3 prospect, but we could look back on this draft in a couple of years and say that Davison was a steal.

125 Responses to “Scouting Report: Tyeler Davison, DT”

1. Dan Sullivan says:

Patriots Mock Draft.
    1 Trade for 2nd and 4th round picks.
    2 Rashad Greene WR Florida St.
    2 Jalen Collins CB LSU
    3 Michael Bennett DT Ohio State
    3 Rec’d in Trade Mike Davis RB South Carolina
    3 Henry Anderson DL Stanford
    4 Reese Dismukes C/G Auburn
    4 traded for 3
    4 Jordan Hicks ILB Texas
    6 Traded for 3
    7 Louis Trinca Pasat DT Iowa
    7 Tony Washington OLB Oregon

• jim r says:

Dan, do you think they have a need on the OL?

• Dan Sullivan says:

Yes I think they could use some help with depth but I really feel that
        Cameron Fleming could have a strong year and the addition of Scott Chandler
        at Tight End blocking will help.

Enjoy the Draft.
        Dan

So where is Camron Erving on your mock Dan? You seem to throw up names in mock after mock as though against a wall to see if they stick but I can’t see any philosophy behind them. You obviously value talent but neglect needs. Your lack of any consistency confuses me tbo.

2. J H TARBORO says:

I was just asked a hypothetical question! Would i rather have Byron Jones at #32 or if LB Randy Gregory slipped to #32. My answer was Gregory! and got into heated debate!

I felt BB would pass on LB McClain, however OL Stefen Wisniewski is a differant story, I think the Patriots sign him, 2yr deal.

4. J H TARBORO says:

I trust your opinions, checkout these potential UDFAs, give your feedback!
    LB Isaiah Fleming- Cheyney St.
    CB Tray Walker- Tx. Southern 6’3 195lbs.

• Russell says:

Tray Walker has limited tape, but looks like a tackler, maybe more of a S with 40yd time in the 4.57 range, nice size 6’2 1/2″ 195lbs. a 7th round prospect.

• acm says:

not familiar with this prospect but speaking of 40s – Sherman ran the 40 in 4.60, maybe even a bit slower, iirc. Smarts go a long way in this league.

5. Jeff says:

With Erving, Jackson, and Matias all possible Patriots targets, and Stork already on the roster, what are the chances we see an all FSU interior O-line at some point next season? I don’t think they’ll do it intentionally, but not hard to imagine a double-dip at guard, and lots of the top prospects happen to be from the same school as your probable center… would be interesting!

• Russell says:

If Erving is on the board at #32 IMO your looking at about a 95% chance the Patriots take him. Jackson however is not a prospect I’m very high on, (I like Tomlinson) but the ORT Hart could be a great late round guy.

• acm says:

Agree with Russell here – imo, Erving is the only FSU OL prospect projected to go early that fits what the Pats do. Jackson and Mathias aren’t a good fit, scheme-wise, imo.

6. J H TARBORO says:

my mock!
    1) CB Byron Jones- UConn or Trade down and accumulate players in the meat of the draft
    2) ILB Stephone Antony- Clemson
    3)RB David Johnson- N.Iowa
    3) OG John Miller- Louisville
    4) WR Kenny Bell- Nebraska
    4) DE Tavaris Barnes- Clemson
    6) OT Andrew Donnal- Iowa ( extremely underrated ) opposite Scherff
    7) DT Deon Simon- Northwestern St.
    7) DT Kristjan Sokoli- Buffalo

• Jeff says:

JH – I liked that you picked realistic targets in in each round. My biggest problem is that I’d like to see the Pats grab someone (earlier if necessary) with a bit more upside at guard than Miller, and perhaps even 2 guards in the top four rounds. I’m okay with Miller as a second guard pick, but there are enough guys that are more talented than him that the Pats should be able to do better, even if trades are required. I’d also prioritize a DT over WR and RB, but perhaps your mock is more realistic as these positions are a bit deeper in this draft class and offer more value. Good stuff.

My latest Fanspeak mock, using the CBS Sports Big Board:

32: R1P32 CB KEVIN JOHNSON, WAKE FOREST
    64: R2P32 DT CARL DAVIS, IOWA
    96: R3P32 OG JOSUE MATIAS, FLORIDA STATE
    97: R3P33 OLB LORENZO MAULDIN, LOUISVILLE
    101: R4P2 OT TY SAMBRAILO, COLORADO STATE
    131: R4P32 ILB TAIWAN JONES, MICHIGAN STATE
    178: R6P2 CB JACOREY SHEPHERD, KANSAS
    219: R7P2 WR DRES ANDERSON, UTAH
    253: R7P36 S ISAIAH JOHNSON, GEORGIA TECH

8. acm says:

My latest Pats draft board:

Offense:
    ——–
    OL: Cameron Erving, Jake Fisher, AJ Cann, Ali Marpet, Mitch Morse, Mike Glowinski, Jarvis Harrison
    RB: Jay Ajayi, Duke Johnson, David Johnson, David Cobb, Malcolm Brown, Corey Grant
    WR: Rashad Greene, Justin Hardy, Tre McBride, Kenny Bell, DeAndre Smelter

Defense:
    ——–
    DT: Eddie Goldman, Carl Davis, Xavier Cooper, Marcus Hardison, LT Walton, Xavier Williams, Derrick Lott, Kristjan Sokoli
    DE: Owa Odighizuwa, Danielle Hunter, Nate Orchard, Trey Flowers, Anthony Chickilo
    LB: Shaq Thompson, Paul Dawson, Davis Tull, Ben Heeney, Mike Hull, Jake Ryan
    CB: Byron Jones, Ronald Darby, Eric Rowe, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Tye Smith, Axel Ofori
    SAF: Jaquiski Tartt, Kurtis Drummond, Adrian Amos, Ladarius Gunter

9. Stephen J says:

Here is another article with some more info on WR Tyrell Williams if anybody is interested

• GM-in-Training says:

Figuring out Tyrell Williams’ draft position value is tricky.
      Legitimately, he has demerits for not catching the most touchdowns, yards or YPC on his own little team last year, as well as catching with his body instead of his hands too much. Add to that the low level of competition he’s used to, his incomplete command of the route tree, and how hand-timed 40’s at pro days don’t carry as much weight as laser-timed combine times, and there’s a lot that could give any team pause. How long will it take him to learn to read NFL defenses and handle a playbook like the Patriots have is another big unknown. I haven’t seen anything that says he returns kicks or plays special teams at all. So, you put all that together and it suggests late on day 3 to me. What do y’all think?

• Stephen J says:

At first I was thinking best case was 5th-6th round but as I did more reading and playing with the fanspeak draft now I am thinking best case is 7th round but likely undrafted but all it takes is one who is intrigued by his size measurables athleticism. As for me I would love to see the Pats get him as a free agent and see what he can do during training camp.

• acm says:

Exactly what I am thinking regarding T. Williams. Draft-wise, he’s a 7th rounder/UDFA for me – a player I have a hard time seeing make the roster.

10. acm says:

1. OL Jake Fisher / CB Byron Jones
    2. DB Eric Rowe (Ronald Darby) / OG Ali Marpet
    3. LB Davis Tull
    3. OL Mitch Morse
    4. RB David Cobb
    4. DT LT Walton / DT Xavier Williams
    6. DL Kristjan Sokoli
    7. WR DeAndre Smelter
    7. CB Axel Ofori / CB Tye Smith

• J H TARBORO says:

ACM, decent mock! CB Axel Ofori, we were the only team at his pro day! LOL I had the same thought!!!

• Brian says:

if you go to axels draftdiamonds.com page and read his interview, he just sounds like a patriot and someone that bill would be keen to add. Good find fellas

• Russell says:

Great to see your Mock acm! Good looking group, Like Davis tull :0).

11. Dan Sullivan says:

Patriots Mock Draft
    1 From Eagles 20th pick Pats take Danny Shelton NT Washington
    1 Traded to Eagles
    2 Jake Fisher OT Oregon
    3 Traded to Eagles
    3 Josh Shaw CB USC
    4 Ramik Wilson ILB Georgia
    6 From Eagles Terrance Magee RB LSU
    6 Dres Anderson WR Utah
    7 Isiah Johnson SS Georgia Tech
    7 DeVaris Daniels WR Notre Dame

• Dan Sullivan says:

Correction Patriots other 4th round choice Zach Hodges OLB Harvard.

• Jeff says:

Looks a bit optimistic to me in terms of the trade and who is available, but if Shelton and Jake Fischer wind up on the Patriots roster, I’d be ecstatic – I don’t care if they traded away all of their trade-able picks (they’d still have the 3rd and 7th comp picks)!

• Matt says:

Well I think Shelton is a great player. I don’t think the Eagles would just trade draft picks. And I don’t think he would make it past the Bears.

12. steve earle says:

Have to say I’m enjoying this serious of ate round draft prospects even if none of them ever see a Pat’s inform except from across the field or on TV. Very interesting Mike thanks.

• acm says:

a nice but destined to fail attempt to stay on topic there, Steve.

Yea but just remarking on Mikes subject matter. Most of us are far more interested in the top half of the draft and how that unfolds but lets face it all those guys have been studied commented on and mocked to death so a little diversion can be welcome.

13. J H TARBORO says:

CB Byron Jones at UConn pro day runs 4.36 40yd! 44.5″vert 12’3″ long jump* ( * world record )

• acm says:

Given how teams tend to lose their mind over fast 40 times by CBs, he may well not even make it to 32. I can so see Chip put on his BB suit and draft him at 20.

It’s nice a guy has a great 40 time but I look to production against quality opponents as I think, acm, you do too. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if your right and the kid goes at #20.

14. Jeff says:

A little digging at Miguel’s patscap page regarding Mayo’s contract:

If he is cut or traded this season, the Patriots swallow 6 million in dead money and save about $4.3 million in cap this year, plus $2.4 in guaranteed money next year. So the two-year, cap dollar savings would be about $6.7 million. If the Patriots manage to sign McClain for less than that number and draft a linebacker high, I could see the Patriots moving on from Mayo. A trade would mean a team would be willing to take responsibility for base salaries of 6.25, 7.25, and 8.75 million over the next 3 years (although they could also restructure or cut him). I’m not sure how much other teams will want him at that, but maybe a team like Green Bay could be interested if they miss on the top ILB prospects in the draft.

Either way, I view the McClain visit as the Patriots exploring options and putting pressure on Mayo to take a pay cut.

I have a hard time seeing Mayo staying with the Patriots after this year without a significant pay cut, which might be tricky. As much as Bill loves his Mayo, let’s not forget he moved on from Mankins while calling him the best lineman he had ever coached.

15. Roxy Bob says:

If we can get McClain for a no risk contract like the Cowboys gave Greg Hardy, he may be a steal. He’s great against the run and BB is great at handling guys like him because he won’t put up with any bull. Hightower and Mayo will both be coming off upper body surgeries, not a good thing for linebackers who use their arms a lot.

16. Roxy Bob says:

Just another mock: #1. Byron Jones CB #2. Stephone Anthony ILB #3a. Ali Marpet OL #3b. Xavier Cooper DT #4a. Nate Orchard OLB/DE #4b. Jeremy Langford RB #6. Tyeler Davison DT #7a. Matt Glowinski OL #7b. Nick Marshall DB/WR – Athlete

17. J H TARBORO says:

Patriots are working out FA LB Rolondo McClain, former 8th overall pick who played for the Cowboys last season, also has 4 game suspension in 2015. ala b. browner in 14′

• acm says:

one more violation away from being suspended.

• Jeff says:

If they do sign this guy, should we expect a trade/release of Mayo?

• acm says:

a trade is unlikely at this point imo – getting up there in age, coming off a serious injury, on a big-money contract; teams will need to see him play at a high level again to consider a trade for Mayo.
        Cutting Mayo is out of the question considering the terms of his contract. As for restructuring, he would need to pass his physical before anythings gets done in that regard and I don’t think that’s likely to happen before July.

• Russell says:

I agree with acm, no way they cut Mayo. Redoing his contract is a must however! Mayo is one of BB favorite guys, very smart leader on the field.

Would”t think so Jeff it sounds to costly vs the cap besides if Mayo comes back into playing form he could be a major help.

• MM-II says:

Starting level ability, but a chronic case of the crazies.

Meh. Not much to see here. Mostly due diligence/favor for his agent, probably. OTOH, on a cheap, 1-year deal with not a whole lot guaranteed, he might be a reasonable camp body while Mayo and HT recuperate.

• J H TARBORO says:

It might be more to this story, McClain is like a big brother to our own Donte Hightower, he mentored Hightower in Alabama’s system and helped him out a great deal, McClain is known for learning a playbook very fast. He wasn’t a bum in Dallas!

• Russell says:

McClain has a 4 game fine in 2015. I would pass, he looked good on tape however, I would go for a drafted guy with a 3yr.deal lower cost, better future upside. Loranzo Mauldin??

• J H TARBORO says:

McClain would be a FA placeholder with a chance to make the squad, they will possibly draft a LB or LBs but remember we’re trying to put a 90 man roster together and improve the ball club and it’s April. Some people would keep the team the same,but you don’t win that way going foward, we make so many transactions during the season that many are not aware of to try to improve.

18. Matt says:

1. CB Marcus Peters
    2. LB/SS Shaq Thompson
    3. DT Michael Bennett
    3. DE Trey Flowers (Compensatory)
    4. G Ali Marpet (Via TB)
    4. WR Stephon Diggs
    6. G Jose Matias (Via TB)
    7. ILB Trey Depreist (Via Tenn)
    7. TE Blake Bell/WR Chris Conley (Compensatory)

19. Jeff says:

1st – CB – Collins
    2nd – LB- Dawson
    3rd (NYJ)- G – Marpet
    3rd (comp) – DT – Hardison
    4th (TB) – G – Matias
    4th – LB – Heeney
    6th (TB) – C – Mason
    7th (TEN) – RB – Williams
    7th (comp) – DE – Rasco

20. Dan Sullivan says:

Patriots Mock Draft.
    1 Carl Davis DT Iowa
    2 Denzel Perryman ILB Miami Fla.
    3 Cedric Ogbuehi OT Texas A&M
    3 Kurtis Drummond S Michigan St.
    4 Jeremy Langford RB Michigan St.
    4 Ty Montgomery WR Stanford
    6 Mark Glowinski G West Virginia
    7 Brock Hekking OLB Nevada
    7 Damian Swann CB Georgia

• Jeff says:

I like the idea of getting a quality ILB in the 2nd-4th to give flexibility with Mayo moving forward, and I think they may need to go 2nd as there is not a ton of depth for realistic starters. Don’t see the need for a safety in this draft, but if they really love Drummond I suppose it’s possible. Next year makes a bit more sense to look for a safety with potentially more depth and Ebner and just 3 safeties under contract.

21. Daniel R. Martin says:

Can I get any thoughts on CB Eric Rowe in the 4th? Looking for a larger, physical style corner to replace Browner, as a Reevis replacement is unfortunately unavailable.

• ReneKicker says:

i dont think Rowe will be there in the 4th, teams will reach for CBs

Perhaps but teams have many needs besides CB’s some may have him projected as a Saf only so I’d say it’s a fair to good chance he’s on the board at #96.

• Ryan says:

To me, Rowe looks like a 3rd-round pick, but he could still fall to us at the top of the fourth round. However, his blend of size and coverage skills (he used to play safety) might cause a team to pick him even at the end of the second round. In short, he’s a bit a of a wild card in terms of where he will end up going, but if players who dominated at the combine like him and Justin Cox go early then others will be available. Some players that I’m looking to drop as a result of others shooting up are Ronald Darby, Josh Shaw, Alex Carter and Steven Nelson. I like Rowe a lot but I don’t think that he’s worth more than a 3rd-rounder based on the other CB talent in this draft.

Well our 3rd is #96 and the 4th from TB is #97 so If Rowe is available at #96 he there for #97 also. Take him either spot. I have DT Hardison at #96 then Rowe at #97 in my mock but turn them around still it would make no difference.

• Russell says:

Great question Daniel. I tend to think because a CB/S prospect with good size is highly looked at by most teams. IMO I feel Rowe is off the board, before the 64th pick, along with CB Peters, Waynes (#10), Johnson (#22) ,Williams, Jones, and Collins.
      I think BB will have to take one of this group with the #32 OR trade back, picking up an additional 2nd round pick to get one of these prospects. (Most likely).
      Trading with K.C. sounds good for both teams needs, #32 to K.C. for #49, and pick’s next year? 3d and 4th ??
      K.C. ;could take OL Eric Flowers (#18) and WR Strong (#32)
      Patriots could take; #49 CB Eric Rowe, #64 OG Laken Tomlinson OR OL Hroniss Grasu

22. ReneKicker says:

QB GARY NOVA RUTGERS
    219: R7P2
    S NICK PERRY ALABAMA

253: R7P36
    OT LAURENCE GIBSON VIRGINIA TECH

23. Ken says:

These Fanspeak drafts are fun to mess around with.

24. Stephen J says:

I just did a fun 4 round mock draft at fanspeak.com

Here are my results

25. Stephen J says:

If we were to draft OL in the 1st who would you rather see Cam Irving or Jeff Fischer

• Russell says:

I think Erving or Fisher are great prospects, but I would go with Erving. However Erving is more likely gone before the Patriots pick. I’m leaning more towards Laken Tomlinson with his level of work , over 50+ games, High intelligents, and the type of pro-style offence he played in.

My Patriot draft board has 38 prospects ,and gradng each I’ve come-up, IMO with only three prospects who COULD play more than 25% of the snaps.

LB Eli Harold- 30-35%….a Collins type LB
    LB Laranzo Mauldin- 30-35%…….more of a Hightower type LB
    OG Laken Tomlinson- 80%

Any CB/S drafted will be very unlikely to play 25% of the snaps.
    Tomlinson played for pro-style O, exceling at pass blocking, is highly intelligent, solid prospect.

• sean says:

love harold and tomlinson but believe that mauldin is overrated.

• Ryan says:

I have to disagree with you here, Russell. Due to our need at the OG and CB spots I find it likely that any guard or cornerback that we draft in the first two rounds will play >25% of snaps. The players that you pointed out are system fits but by no means the only early options.

• MM-II says:

Ryan –

I guess I’m pretty much with you on this.

IF the Pats DO draft a CB in the late-1st/early-2nd, it would likely be ONLY with the expectation that the guy will be capable of playing a significant % of the snaps successfully from the get-go and probably start. Kinda like McCourty, but with much better man-coverage skills.

Same would almost certainly apply to any Guard they draft in that range, ala Mankins.

DE and LB are maybe a different story. DT, too, probably.

• Russell says:

OG maybe Erving, But I have him off the board. Fisher doubtful to settle into a new postion, that quickly, A.J. Cann needs work in pass blocking, etc.
        CB I disagree, IMO it is unlikely a drafted CB plays that much yr. one, in a BB system. On my Patriot Board , Kevin Johnson is my top CB (likely gone to Pittsburg) Williams, Jones, Rowe, Amos, Nelson, are on my board, but I can’t see any of them playing that much yr.one.

• MM-II says:

Well, then there’s the constraint I applied – a CB drafted in the late-1st/early-2nd, a move they’d make ONLY if they thought they were getting a guy who’d be capable of playing significant snaps as a rookie, perhaps even as a starter. The flipside is that I don’t think they’ll draft a CB that high, UNLESS they intend for him to play a lot more than 25% of the snaps as a rookie.

The prime example would be McCourty, drafted at #27, who started all 16 games as a rookie. Darius Butler (#41) started 5 games and played in 14. Dowling (#33) was the week-1 starter as a rookie and played full time till he got hurt in week-2. The intent to have these guys play a lot more than 25% of the snaps was clearly there.

Even Logan Ryan (#83) started 7 games, as did Dennard (7th round), and both ended up playing more than 25% of the snaps.

In any case, there’s recent history that runs contrary to your hypothesis.

Your probably right about AJ Cann needing work at pass blocking then again how many rookie o-linemen at the bottom of the 1st or lower doesn’t need work at some aspect of the game. IN Cann’s favor is an expected high up side and excellent chance of being an early starter yr one. Looking at the Div every other team has build a def front designed to collapse the pocket and get into Brady’s face. We need to react to that better early but at least before the lower half of the draft imo. That makes for some really hard decisions because we also must address the d-line and CB’s. Darned if we do and darned if we don’t.

27. Stephen J says:

Mike Loyko said a late round DL to watch for was LT Walton and came across this in an interview with Kevin Henry of Central Michigan who said this when asked ” Who was the toughest player you ever faced? The toughest player I ever faced was Leterrius Walton. He was D-lineman on our team at Central Michigan. In my opinion he is one of the best linemen in the country. Every day and every play he brought it at practice “

28. Daniel R. Martin says:

Any chance Randy Gregory falls to 32?

• Ryan says:

I would put that up there with a snowball in hell, Daniel.

• Daniel R. Martin says:

I thought he was mocked at 8 overall, and some reports are indicating a drop of at least 15 spots. I know 23 is a long way from 32, but I thought I’d ask. Thanks.

• Ryan says:

It’s just my opinion, but I still don’t see him falling out of the top 20 so I can’t ever mock him to the pats. He just has so much talent that, barring an injury, he will be drafted highly.

• Russell says:

Im not sure Gregory , “fits” the Patriot system.

• Daniel R. Martin says:

You’re probably right Russell. But it seems any coach, especially the great BB, could find a use for a top 5 overall talent that might fall almost out of the round.

• acm says:

It’s anybody’s guess how far he’d drop but I agree with Russell – have my doubts Pats would be gunning for Gregory anyway.
      With WR Gordon’s case fresh in people’s minds, I think quite a few teams would take Gregory right off their boards for good.

29. Ken says:

Now that the Pats have picks 96, 97, & 101 they have the flexibility to pair the 96 or 101 with there first rounder and move up to the mid 20’s if there is a player they like and want to jump ahead of some other teams that they think might be interested. Just gives them another option. I don’t see them moving up much higher than that because they are all about the value and its not like them to give up multiple picks to get one guy. Which players do you guys think might fall into this range that the Patriots would target for the move?

• Russell says:

I’m not sure I see a player worth trading up into the 20’s to get. I think it is more likely BB trades back. I lot depends how the board plays-out, but I think BB goes for OLB Eli Harold, and if he had to move up 1-3 picks to get him maybe. I look for more BB trade activity in the 2nd round this yr. if he stays with thier 1st pick.

• MM-II says:

I couldn’t name a specific player, but I think that BB would most likely trade up for an LT. But that would hinge on whether or not Solder’s future contract situation has cleared up by draft day.

I guess there’s some chance he’d trade up for a CB, though a much lesser chance. Even lower chance he’d trade up for a DT. Just about any other position would be a real surprise.

Having said all that now, he’ll probably trade up for Gurley or some WR, just to screw with our heads.

• acm says:

That theory is sound on paper but the problem is there really isn’t such a player worth trading up for. This class is particularly poor in pure LTs and virtually everyone slotted as a LT for draft purposes has OG or RT projected as their most natural position.
        Drafting Jake Fisher in late 1st/very early 2nd (has a pretty good shot at being there) to play OG for one year and refine his technique and then potentially moving him to LT, would be as a good/likely a way as any to find Solder’s replacement.

30. Jose Marques says:

My mock draft:

1. P.J.Williams, CB, Florida State
    2. Danielle Hunter, DE, LSU
    3. John Miller, OG, Louisville
    3. Marcus Hardison, DT, Arizona State
    4. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon
    6. Ramik Wilson ILB Georgia
    7. Tyrell Williams, WR, Western Oregon

• nick says:

best mock I’ve seen so far, that isn’t mine lol. these are all legit prospects for the pats that i agree with. i still think we trade and acquire another 2nd and third, hopefully adding david irving from iowa state and cedric thompson from minn.

• Jose Marques says:

replace the first choice of draft is not a bad idea, exchange first by second, third and fifth round. with this would still choose to a running back like jay ajayi, and make stronger the offensive line and the sector of linebackers. We will see

Really good mock Jose. I for one would be really excited about this if BB were to follow this one. It addresses both needs and values, good job.

• Jose Marques says:

Thank you very much.
        P.J.Williams and Ifo Ekpre-Olomu are two cornerbacks lead to exciting. What I do not understand is why the M.Hardinson is not as widely spoken as other DLines, in my opinion is an excellent player and would be a good acquisition.

31. John says:

Interesting names that have been worked out:

Stephone Anthony
    Maxx Williams
    David Andrews
    Tre Jackson
    Paul Dawson
    Jamison Crowder
    Malcolm Brown

Although there are always smokescreens, Patriots seem to telegraph/be straightforward with their early picks. They worked out Easley and Jimmy G. last year, they worked out Hightower and Chandler the year they took them, and I feel like this year could be the same. Lots of linebackers being worked out, which I find interesting. I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if they try to move up for someone like Malcolm Brown. They are obviously moving back to a more zone-oriented defense. Is it fair to assume they are looking at Rowe as a safety?

• Ryan says:

I don’t understand why they bothered to visit with Crowder. We don’t need another undersized receiver without deep speed. He may be a good player but he would likely be redundant on the Pats.

BB always does due diligence even when prospects are far out of reach. Perhaps for future reference and/ or to build an acquaintances relationship, also for future possibilities is my guess.

• sean says:

malcolm brown is one of my favourite prospects i think he could be awesome on our dline

Sure could sean but chances of him falling into even close range is the old snowball in July chance it seems to me

• MM-II says:

Aside from the smokescreen angle, I think they sometimes have workouts (and maybe even moreso, official visits) with high-ranked prospects who they believe are likely to be of interest to division rivals, if not to the Pats themselves. Sort of an “advance scouting” thing.

Thinking outside the box; Would you trade the Patriots 1st (32) to Minn. for thier 3d (76) and OG David Yankey ???

• acm says:

Russell, please do me a favor and stop thinking outside the box 😉

P.S. Why would you even go there. A similar player you could find in every draft for very, very cheap. In the end of the day there is thinking outside the box and overthinking/outsmarting yourself aka boxing yourself aka painting yourself into a corner of a box 🙂

• Russell says:

OK OK ,I’ll stop……but what about the 32 pick for Tampa’s CB Alterran Verner ??

• acm says:

Still too high, imo. I don’t mind Verner one bit and think he’d be better for the Pats than the Bucs (stating the obvious here) and his contract is a good value in and of itself. However, that’s where “value” factors in – Verner was average for the Bucs last year, which makes me think he’d be available for much less than a 1st round pick. A trade like that would also allow the Bucs to recoup some cap space of which they wasted a lot in their failed high profile transactions last year (DE Johnson and OL Collins).

Not sure why you are so keen on starting a negotiation from the highest bid you can possibly afford. It’s perfectly fine to like Yankey too but not at the expense you suggested earlier, considering he’s a player Pats could well have for their 7th rounder even (Titan’s 7th that is).

• Russell says:

Thanks acm, little more tounge in cheek trade moves,HAHA Have you got an early mock?

• Tim D says:

I’m not a fan of that trade in particular, but I somewhat agree with your “out of the box” approach. I am convinced they trade out for future picks, trade up or trade for proven veteran talent/promising prospects who have disappointed thus far, but they feel would excel in Pats system. Five picks in the top 101 with limited roster spots gives them plenty of options. I’ve been trying to think of suitors (new HC/management cleaning house, Patriot previous trade partners etc…) and teams like TB, Philly, Chicago and NO are the first to come to mind. I also think maybe St. Louis might be an option. Looking at their roster there appears to be log jams of young talent at certain positions that they could trade for top 100 picks to fill other needs. Without knowing player availability or NE interest, some guys who have had moments of falling out of favor with their current teams and, IMO, seem like they may be available and would be good fits are: RB Doug Martin, DT John Jenkins and C Jason Kelce were all I could come up with. If Stl had signed Fairley for more than 1 year I would say DT Michael Brockers. Anyone have any other ideas inside or outside the box?

• carlo strada says:

Bears 3 tech Will sutton for Pats 4th round pick (or lower). He s an odd guy now that they re trying to run a 3-4. In case that Easley s gamble doesnt pan out, he d be a nice back up. Just saying.

• matt says:

More then likely Easley wont pan out. He has to bad knees & played in what one game
          last season?

• MM-II says:

The Pats had a private workout (and some additional contact, IIRC) prior to the 2014 draft. I thought the Pats might take him with their #61 or #93. the took Garoppolo at #61 (because he fell into their laps kind of unexpectedly, I thought) and then they traded out of the #93 (to JAX) shortly after Sutton went to the Bears at #82. So, I think they were seriously interested.

Sutton struck me as a smart, versatile player – solid run defender at the 3-tech, and even at NT (4-3 NT, that is) or at 5-tech. He also showed a very good interior rush when he was playing at his lower weight. He could conceivably partner with Easley (a *healthy* Easley) to produce some formidable interior pressure on passing downs, and also cover the edge against the run in 30-fronts.

He may be the “odd man out” for the Bears’ projected scheme (according to reports from unnamed “inside sources”, ahem), but I’m kinda doubtful that they’re all that eager to part with him right away. Sunk costs and all that.

• Russell says:

I look at K.C. as a trade partner for the Patriot 1st pick, to move them up 18 picks from he 2nd K.C. pick.

Answer no. We have to many holes to fill and giving up mid round choices where some very good talent lives would be a poor use of resources.

33. Jeff says:

Patriots trade their 2nd, 4th (from Tampa), and 7th (from Tenn.) to Detroit for their 2nd and 6th round picks (Detroit has no pick in the 4th or 5th round currently). They also trade Detroit’s 6th and their 6th (from Tampa) to move up into the 5th round. Finally, they swap 3rd rounders with the Jets due to tampering.

1st – CB – Kevin Johnson
    2nd (DET) – OL – Jake Fisher
    3rd (Jets) – G – Tre Jackson
    3rd (comp) – DT – Marcus Hardison
    4th – LB – Ben Heeney
    5th (from trade) – LB – Ramik Wilson
    7th (comp) – RB – Trey Williams

Fisher and Jackson should step in at left and right guard from week 1, while you add high end talent to the CB position to bring along. You also fortify the DT position and upgrade LB depth. Finally, a guy to push Cadet and White at the 3rd down back position with upside as a returner.

• Russell says:

Interesting Mock trades! I also think BB makes a trade, but time will tell what he does.

34. Stephen J says:

This from Tony Pauline in regard to Paul Dawson

Dawson will also be working out for the New England Patriots.
    Read more at http://walterfootball.com/proday.php#VJMW2LYplfoupePv.99

• hdpaulie says:

With H’tower and Mayo coming back from injuries I think LB has become more of a need than it was previously. I’ve liked Dawson as a Patriot from before the combine. His stock has dropped as a result of some possible character issues and a less than stellar performance at the combine. On tape however, he’s a baller. Unless a potential star prospect drops unexpectedly to # 32, I can see the Pats trading out of the 1st round. Dawson could prove to be a great value pick and maybe even a steal in the lower part of the second round. He could even fall to the 3rd round. And we all know how BB loves value. Dawson flies all over the field and is more than competent in coverage. He could take over some of the coverage duties from Collins, allowing Collins the freedom to do more of what I think he’s best suited for, rushing the passer. With H’tower recovering for 6-7 months due to shoulder surgery, and the uncertainty of Mayo’s availability due to his large cap hit and seemingly endless injury status, LB appears to be more of a need than many think. Adding Dawson to Collins and H’tower would give the Pats one of the best young LB groupings in the league.

• carlo strada says:

Would be nice if he d fall to us in the second/early 3rd. Now that Browner left, Dawson would be more than a competent piece in order to bring good size to our coverage and share with Collins some time at covering TE duties.
        As you said up there, he flies all over the field. I d love this guy

35. Dan Sullivan says:

Patriots Mock Draft
    1 Byron Jones CB Connecticut
    2 Tyrus Thompson OT Oklahoma
    3 Clayton Gaethers SS UCF
    3 Grady Jarrett DT Clemson
    4 Darren Waller WR Georgia Tech
    4 John Miller G Louisville
    6 Ramik Wilson ILB Georgia
    7 Zach Vigil ILB Utah St.
    7 Shane McDermott C-G Miami Fl.

*/ ?>