Scouting Report: Henry Anderson, DE

anderson

Henry Anderson has good size, but is he a good fit for the Patriots?

NEPD Staff Writer: Mike Gerken

I continue my look at potential players the Patriots may look to draft along the defensive line. Today, my focus turns to Stanford defensive end Henry Anderson.

Name: Henry Anderson

School: Stanford (Sr.)

Height: 6’6″

Weight: 294 Lbs.

Combine Results:

• Arm Length: 33½”
  • Hand Size: 9¾”
  • 10 Yard Dash: 1.63
  • 40 Yard Dash: 5.03
  • Vertical Jump: 30″
  • Broad Jump: 111″
  • 3 Cone Drill: 7.20
  • 20 Yard Shuttle: 4.19

Positives:

Anderson is a smart player with good field awareness.  He recognizes plays quickly and reacts and does so while not sacrificing what his responsibilities are.  Anderson has long arms and good upper body strength and uses them to his advantage in the run and pass game.  He also has active hands and uses them effectively.  In college, he was extremely versatile and played several different positions along the defensive line.  Anderson has a large frame that looks like he could add weight to without affecting his movement skills.  He also plays with a relentless attitude and non stop motor which puts him opportune situations to make plays.  From all accounts, he is clean off the field and it sounds like he lives for football.

Negatives:

Anderson will not wow you with his athleticism.  His real struggles generate from his lack of lower body strength.  Anderson does not have great change of direction skills with his feet coming to a complete stop before making his next move.  Anderson has a decent power rush move, but lacks any secondary pass rush moves to counter with if that fails.  He lacks a great burst at the snap and is not going to beat you with a speed move on the edge.  I also noticed Anderson on the ground too often for my liking and he must learn to play with better balance.  Anderson must learn to play with more consistent leverage as well.

Overall:

It is funny, I could argue on either side of a debate when talking about Anderson.  On one side, I would point out his production, his motor, his scheme diversity.  On the other, I would point out his lack of athleticism, his lack of a true position, and his production was somewhat manufactured.  I think ideally Anderson would add 10 to 15 pounds and play the 5tech in a 3-4 with the possibility of sliding inside in 4-3 sub packages.  I am not sure how much of his college production really translates to the NFL and would not expect him to put up impressive numbers.  I think he can be a valuable piece in a defense but probably not a cornerstone defender.  Coaches will love him because of his hard work on and off the field and will carve out a role for himself in the NFL.  I am not sure of the fit for the Patriots specifically. I gave him a 4th round grade. That being said, if I had to chose between him in the 4th and Armstead in the first or early second, give me Anderson every time and to be honest, I think at the end of their careers, Anderson may end up the better player.

25 Responses to “Scouting Report: Henry Anderson, DE”

1. rdf63 says:

I like Anderson and really think he could be a real steal in the 4trh round if available. If he could put on 15 lbs., develop more lower body strength as you mentioned than we would be talking about a 6’6″ 310 lb defensive end who is smart and coachable. He could take up a lot of space and add real size to the Pats and possibly play multiple roles including DT and DE. I picture a good blue collar role type of player who could be effective especially against the run at DE. He also has skills that may be able to compliment Easley (if he becomes healthy).

2. steve earle says:

My feelings about Anderson is that he is better suited for DE on a 3-4 def thus I have him as a 4th on my board. If BB was using a 3-4 as a base then he would jump to our low 2nd but that’s not the case.

3. Dan Sullivan says:

Free Agents for Patriots.
    1 C.J. Spiller RB Bills
    2 Kareem Jackson CB Texans
    3 Sam Acho OLB Cardinals
    4 Jaiquawn Jarrett S Jets
    5 Rey Maualuga ILB Bengals

Patriots Mock Draft
    1 Eddie Goldman DT Florida St.
    2 Byron Jones CB Connecticut
    3 Tyrus Thompson OT Oklahoma
    3 Jeff Heuermann TE Ohio State
    4 Justin Hardy WR East Carolina
    4 Jarvis Harrison G Texas A&M
    6 Andy Gallick G-C Boston College
    7 Brian Mihalik DE Boston College
    7 Tevin McDonald S Eastern Washington

The Patriots will live and die with their system and I think they will lose several free agents to
    teams looking to spend but the Patriots system is why they just won the Super Bowl.

• Ryan says:

With an offseason like that, everything is fixed but the pass rush. Hard to argue with that, even if it means another year of relying on our backers and corners to make plays on defense.

• Ryan 3 says:

Only problem I have with the mock is the pick of Huermann in the third. I’d rather add another OG or RB, maybe Cobb or Johnson.

4. John says:

Just for fun:

Patriots trade their 1st, 2nd, a 3rd round picks, and maybe a conditional 2nd/3rd rounder to the Jets for their 6th overall pick. Chose the Jets because Mariota won’t probably be available and they have multiple positions that need to be addressed. Patriots don’t have a lot of needs, when you really think about. They need an edge rusher, OGs, a LT, and a Vince successor.

Love Collins, and Scherff, but quality OGs can be found anywhere. Hell, they could even sign someone. Solder is going to play for another year, no matter what. He’s in the last year of his rookie deal, and they’ll see whether or not he should be re-upped or not. So there’s two positions off the table. It’s between edge rusher, and DT. So, basically, it’s between Shelton and an edge rusher.

Guess what I’m saying is, who would you take at 6? I’m going Fowler Jr.

• acm says:

First of all, you can’t trade compensatory picks (if that’s what you meant by ‘conditional’).
      And second, this is not the draft to make a move like this as this is a top-light draft class (i.e. not much special, can’t miss talent in the top 15-20 players) and the real value is in the late 1st to early 3rd round range.

• John says:

First of all, I think you missed the “Just for fun:” part, at the beginning…

Second of all, no, I didn’t mean compensation picks. I meant to write an ADDITIONAL 2nd/3rd picks.

Sorry to try and bring a little something different to the comment section, rather than throwing out mock drafts featuring the same old prospects. My bad!

• Grendel the Dog says:

I’m all for fun and agree that it’s pretty pointless to talk specific players at this point. But….

#6 overall is worth 1600 points on draft value chart. (I know it’s not gospel but it’s a good first test of trade plausibility.)

#32 = 590, #64 = 270, #96 = 116. So that’s 976 so far. Still not sure what you mean by conditional 2/3rd but maybe you mean a 2016 pick? Roughly speaking picks are downgraded one round for a year delay, so a 2016 2nd is like a 2015 3rd, which means about 120 points. So that totals about 1100. About a 500 point deficit there.

Which is to say, no team is going to accept that trade if Pats were to offer it.

• acm says:

I did answer your question – this year there isn’t a special enough player to warrant blowing up pretty much your entire draft for him.

But you are right, I did take your previous post too seriously. My bad, won’t happen again.

• Ryan says:

Thing is, this is a fairly serious draft website. If you feel as though your idea of a draft trade-up scenario is valid, then defend it when someone critiques it. When someone calls your idea out because it is unlikely, don’t get all flustered and sarcastic and call that person out for evaluating your proposal. Reasonably expand on your opinion, get into a logical debate on value, or even compromise with the critic- but this is a website where people really enjoy diving into the draft process, so be prepared to face criticism one way or another.

• Russell says:

I like Fowler Jr. also .

5. Mike Gerken says:

Comments and answers for various topics:
    Russell, you make some interesting points. I still worry about his ability to create a pass rush and his movements in space if he is working in for Ninko. I agree he would be better suited in larger sub packages.
    As for Sokoli, I have watched 1.5 games of his. Not sure what happened to the 2nd half of the Ohio game, but who cares. Here are my notes on him:

Positive: active hands, shows an ability to get “skinny” and penetrate. shows variety in pass rush moves with a plus swim move. good motor and effort

Negatives: Conditioning-thought he wore down as game went on. Handled dbl teams well vs. Ohio but struggled against Baylor. Needs to get stronger especially in lower half. Want to know his arm length-looked short.

Overall: Developmental guy that shows some nice attributes. Keep him outside at DE. Could find a role with time. Late rounder with upside if patient enough.

Ryan- I think there is a good possibility Anthony goes round 1. I would jump all over Hardison in round 2 and with the weak safety class, I don’t think Campbell is there either. I like your point though, lots of talent will be on the board that excite me more.

• Ryan says:

Exactly. Anthony, Hardison, and Campbell probably won’t be there, but they might, and when they are picked early different talent will fall to us.

Going by the CBSSports big board, here are some players projected to be there at 96 that I would rather have:

WR Justin Hardy
    OG Josue Matias
    DT Marcus Hardison
    SS Ibraheim Campbell
    ILB Stephone Anthony
    OLB Markus Golden

So, Anderson is fairly high up on my list for our third-rounder, but there are other players who excite me more.

My big question is whether we shouldn’t just wait a round and plan to grab Corey Crawford at the end of the fourth round.

• Russell says:

I will be shocked if LB Stephone Anthony makes it past the #62 pick. Both Denver and Green Bay have interest in this guy.

• Ryan says:

Yeah, I’ve been hearing all kinds of info about this guy, but when you first see him ranked as a 6th-rounder its hard to imagine him going in the second round when little has changed. I don’t doubt your knowledge of their interest in Anthony, but he doesn’t seem like a second-round player at all to me.

I guess my point is that I see him going in the third round, which means it is possible he could end up with the Patriots.

• Ryan says:

To clarify what I said above: Anthony flashed great athleticism at the combine but he is still the same player he was at Clemson. He is highly aggressive in nature, possessing questionable instincts, questionable in man coverage and therefore possibly a two-down player in the NFL. There’s a lot to like about Anthony but I would be surprised to see him go in the second round.

• acm says:

Hardy and Hardison have a shot at dropping there, imo, and are the only ones that I like of the bunch.
      LB Anthony would come in handy too but I don’t think he is available at 96 – a 2nd round pick thru and thru.

Agree and given that our #96 and our 4TB are only a breath apart I’d love Hardison and Golden in those picks.

Good report Mike G. on Anderson, tho I think he’s a 3d round prospect. I see him as a sub for Ninkovich at LDE for the Patriots. I think he fits the Patriot system to a tee, smart , high motor, sound player with strong character. Anderson is a FAR better prospect than Armstead.
    Interested in your thoughts on DT Sokoli, a small school guy with a great looking upside, late in the draft. I think he compares with DT Xavier Williams who has moved up draft boards 4th round.

• Mike Gerken says:

Russell,
      I guess I don’t see the Nink sub unless we are talking about playing in a 3-4. We are talking about a 35 pound difference in weight. I don’t see the fluidity and movement skills for him to play that role.

• Russell says:

I think Ninkovich is quicker around the edge no question, but Ninkovich is undersized agaisn’t OT’s and they wear him down during the game. He still holds his edge,and gap responsibility, but does not get that power push all the time. I think Anderson size is a better match, and strong push agains’t OT, also taller,(hands up) but also very good at maintaining the gap responsibilty.
        I see thier back ground as similar, intelligent, good hand use, while disiplined in thier play responsibilty, high motor, but not the most gifted athletic players.
        I look very hard were/what a prospects nich will be ,before Mocking them in my Patriot draft. Anderson can play inside, but does not handle double teams well. I see Anderson doing what Ninkovich does in the run/pass game, only larger (size and taller) with more of a power push agains’t OT’s. Ninkovich plays 93% of the snaps,if Anderson could play 25% ,Ninkovich would be much stronger at 69%.

8. acm says:

Nicely done, Mike G. You echo my sentiments on H. Anderson down to a T – great frame and measurables, great character too … yet somehow he is a player who may well not translate all that well to the NFL. 4-5th round sounds about right.
    Would be curious what’s your take, if any, on Buffalo’s Kristjan Sokoli. IIRC, he didn’t get a combine invite but I’d take him any day in the 6-7th round range over Anderson in the 4-5th or Arik Armstead in the 2nd (forget about the 1st).

• 2014 NFL Draft