Scouting Report: Eddie Goldman, DT

Is this highly rated DT a good fit for the Patriots defense?

Is this highly rated DT a good fit for the Patriots defense?

NEPD Staff Writer: Mike Gerken

As we move closer toward the Super Bowl and hopefully away from “deflategate” I continue my look at this year’s crop of Defensive Tackles.  It is my belief that the Patriots could be in the market for a young player at the position to be the eventual replacement for Vince Wilfork in a year or so.  With the way teams are passing more, it is important to find a player who is strong against the run but can create some pressure on the QB up the middle.  Today, I am looking at the highly rated Eddie Goldman out of Florida State. Let’s see if he lives up to the hype on the field.Name: Eddie Goldman

School: Florida St. (JR.)

Height: 6’4″

Weight: 320 Lbs.

Positives:

Goldman has ideal size and his weight is distributed well.  His size also gives him the flexibility to play all along the defensive line.  In college, he played nose tackle, 3 technique, and 5 technique so he will be an option for any team and can stay on the field for all situations.  Goldman anchors well, not giving up ground even when double teamed.  He shows good athleticism and a good motor and also has good lateral quickness, showing the ability to slide down the line to make plays on the edge.

Negatives:

Despite his overall athleticism, Goldman does not jump off the tape from a pass rush threat standpoint.  Far too often, I see him “dancing” with opposing offensive linemen, which leads me to question his overall strength.  I was disappointed to see him moved away from the play even when he was only being blocked by one guy.  Goldman seems to lack explosion and once he locks up with his opponent, that is where he stays.  He rarely gets blown back, but he rarely pushes forward either and seems to get stuck at the line of scrimmage.  He also struggles to disengage from his opponent when the run play is near him.

Overall:

At this point in the evaluation process, we have either read or heard where the “experts” expect the draft eligible players to go.  After watching multiple games of Goldman’s, I came away unimpressed and find myself wondering if I missed something that others are seeing.  I see some short area quickness but it is inconsistent.  He shows an ability to hold his ground against double teams, but doesn’t win when he is blocked by a single guy either.  I think as a 5 technique he could do a nice job to set the edge and he could hold up inside in a 4-3, but I don’t envision him being a dominant game changer that others have suggested.  I look at him more as a 3rd round value at this point.

18 Responses to “Scouting Report: Eddie Goldman, DT”

1. Jeff says:

What do folks think about Preston Smith in the 3rd round at DE? I like the idea of targeting someone in the middle rounds at the position this year. Since there’s more risk in the middle rounds of finding a starter, they can take advantage of having Ninkovich locked up for a couple of seasons and see if he turns into something. If the mid-rounder doesn’t develop, you can target someone high in the next couple of years. Who else might be a good fit in the late 3rd/early 4th range where the Pats will be picking?

Preston Smith could be a good 3rd from what I can find to read about him but like many prospects that aren’t top prospects it’s not easy to find all that much on him let alone any tapes. Just on gut feelings I think you may have spotted a sleeper who will do good things for the team who drafts him but it’s just my gut not anything that I can get a grip on.

Hay Jeff found some tape finally on Preston Smith. Go to steelersdepot.com to check him out.

2. Joe Blake says:

Davis is a big dude and will stuff the run and eat space, but he doesn’t consistently get into the opponents backfield. Not much of a push. We have enough of those guys. I question his motor.

3. steve earle says:

I think it was Ryan who yesterday made mention of potential comp picks and possably get one of the Jets picks for tampering. Anyone have any ideas on what we should expect in these regards?

Interesting note; CFL- CB Delvin Breaux who had a try-out with the Patriots, signed with New Orleans.

I remember that tryout and the write up was very positive. When nothing happened I forgot about it. NO may have found a good piece for their backfield. Speaking of backfields Russell, have you had a chance to check out Kyshoen Jarrett SS from Vir Tech.? I liked what I saw on his highlight tapes but they were all I could find to watch him. You may have more to eval him by, be interested in what you think.

• Russell says:

Good Eye Steve! I met Kyshoen on the VT campus, and met his brother ( who is blind). It is hard to believe he is listed as a 7th/FA the guy has a great heart, strong work ethic, Family values. On the field he is a strong tackler,(71, 2013) at 5’11”, 195 lbs not the fastest 4.58 40yd. The thing I like is his continual improvement over his College Career, a trait I look for in every prospect. He has added value as a returner/spiecal teams guy which we all know BB likes.
        I like Jaquiski Tartt, better as a S at 6’1″ 220, BUT Tartt will go in the 4th round. For a late round pick Jarrett is good value, and he is one of 31 prospects on my Patriot draft board.

That was my impression just from watching highlights. He looked to me as pound for pound one of the best hitters plus he has soft hands as evidence by his int’s. I’d like the guy in our 6th or even a 5th if we aquire that somehow. At very least he should be a Sp-teams demon and an upgreade over Wilson at saf.

• acm says:

Well, he is from NOLA, so him picking the Saints makes sense – chances are that played a big role in his decision.

5. Joel says:

My understanding is that Davis did poorly in the interviews. Talked about only playing a certain number of plays to be effective and not going 100% in practice, apparently to avoid some aggressive underclassmen from causing injury. Not sure that’s a BB kind of player.

6. Mike Gerken says:

Michael,
    I actually did do a report on Davis way back in week 1 of the season, but I need to go back and watch him again and do an update. He is on my list, so look for that. I am actually watching Brown from Texas as we speak and hope to have a report done on him later today.
    Back to Davis, from all accounts, he struggled a bit during the season, but he looked great down at the Senior Bowl, so his evaluation is going to be interesting. Was he playing this year to not get hurt or was there something else. The tape hopefully will clear that up.

7. acm says:

I have to say I am in agreement regarding Goldman being a tad over-hyped, Mr. Gerken.

If the Pats were to go DT early, I think M. Brown or Carl Davis would be a better fit.
    Regarding Davis, earlier in the process I was hoping he would be available for Pats’ own pick in late 2nd. As Michael mentioned, however, he had a great week at the Senior bowl and unless he botches the combine, I have a hard time seeing him fall that far now.

I was touting Davis earlier in the year but where he seemed one of those block eating DT rather then a pocket pusher I kind of moved him down my board where he didn’t fit in my mocks but he does have good value if that’s the kind of defender your looking for.

8. Michael says:

Can you do a scouting report on Iowa DT Carl Davis? He’s not a Wilfork type DT (more in the Tommy Kelly, Richard Seymour mold). The guy had a great week in Senior Bowl practices and a solid showing in the game. Now the talk is the guy could be a potential 1st round pick in the upcoming draft.

*/ ?>