Scouting Report: T.J. Clemmings

A virtual unknown coming into the season, Clemmings has rocketed up draft boards with his strong play this year.

NEPD Staff Writer: Mike Gerken

What do you do when it is freezing outside and gets dark by 4:30 in the afternoon? If you ask me, it is a fantastic excuse to sit down in front of the computer and watch a few hours of offensive line film, so I decided to check out T.J. Clemmings. He was not a name on my radar in the early part of the season, but the buzz kept building and now I know why. Here’s my take (both good and bad) from the film that I watched.

Name: T.J. Clemmings

School: Pitt, Senior

Ht: 6’6″

Wt: 315 Lbs.

Positives:

Clemmings has the ideal size and frame for the position. His weight is well proportioned and he moves well for someone so large. He has long arms and a huge wingspan to neutralize pass rushers. He is very powerful and almost always wins one-on-one match-ups when it is power against power. He is the best run blocker I have watched to date. He also shows the athletic ability to get to the second level and to block linebackers and corners on bubble screens. Has a bit of a mean streak and will continue to block his man after the whistle.  In the passing game he shows good balance and a nice stance enabling him to withstand the pass rushers initial punch and decent footwork to force pass rushers past the quarterback.  Clemmings has only been playing on the offensive line for 2 years and has lots of upside moving forward.  In the play below, you will see Clemmings get to the 2nd level and pancake the linebacker allowing his runningback to break through for a big gain.

Negatives:

While Clemmings upside is a positive, his lack of experience could be viewed as a negative and he has only played right tackle in college so it still remains to be seen whether he can play on the left side.  He sometimes struggles to recognize his assignment in pass protection and can be fooled when going up against a pass rusher who has a variety of pass rush moves.  This is especially obvious when a pass rusher uses an outside to inside pass rush move. Clemmings has difficulty stopping his momentum from going in one direction when a pass rusher changes direction. He also struggles with hand placement at times when pass blocking and can end up with his hands on top of the defenders shoulder pads rather than in the middle of the chest.  The play below highlights these weaknesses. Watch closely and you will notice that his hands are very high and he should have gotten a flag for illegal hands to the face.

Overall:

I really like Clemmings.  Even though he has only played right tackle so far in his career, I think he has the athleticism and footwork to play left tackle as well. Not only that, with his combination of power and ability to get to the second level, I think he could be a great guard as well.  He is raw but has shown the ability to learn the position quickly and the negatives in his game are easily correctable with some good coaching.  I give Clemmings a solid first round grade.

14 Responses to “Scouting Report: T.J. Clemmings”

1. Mike Gerken says:

Thanks Russell for the tips on some lesser known guys. Where did you find tape on Tull. I am struggling to find any

Saddly WR Dobson is off to IR to end his season. I feel this guy is a BUST, he wasn’t even on my Patriot draft board !! I was hopeing for Markus Wheaton, but maybe the Patriots can get WR Strong in this years draft.

Wheaton was the WR I had for the Pat’s that year too and though he’s not setting the league on fire as we had hoped he would as a Pat at least he’s on the field and making some plays. As for Dobson my guess is he’s pretty much done in Foxboro probably be let go after the season with an injury settlement deal. With the production currently being generated I’m not even sure a WR will be looked at in the draft and if so not early. Bill’s record of drafting WR’s isn’t encouraging and I like who we already have at the position and resigning Tyms to back up LaFell then look for ufa/ udfa or two for the pratice sqd and it would be good, jmo.

• Russell says:

I agree Steve, Don’t believe WR Strong will be on the Board for the Patriots anyhow. Wonder if BB will bring WR Boyce up front the P-Squad?

Boyce only comes up if an injury happens I think Russell. I looked at the WR free agent list for 15 yesterday and really wasn’t encouraged. The better WR’s costs would be pretty high and if BB wants to resign Revis he can’t go on a big spending spree. The affordable WR’s offer little in the way of improvement overall other then depth. I’m wondering if you have a sleeper or two on your board for late rounds? Some of the lesser known guys just don’t get much ink this time of year. Any ideas?

3. MaineMan says:

From the description, it sounds like all his negatives are technique issues. Learning the position in only two season also does make it seem like he’s coachable.

Until I’ve seen all-star game practice reports on him (probably Shrine game, at this point) and watched him in OL drills at the Combine, I’ll reserve judgement on the grade.

Even so, it’s difficult for me to foresee him actually becoming a 1st-round prospect. It seems to me that projections for top OT prospects in a given draft often seem to start forming a couple years in advance and are often more or less written in stone by about halfway through the final college season before the draft. Although those “pre-ordained” rankings are often incorrect, it’s still not all that common for a previous (relative) unknown/sleeper to end up getting drafted in the first round, though it DOES happen – Mankins, Ju’wuan James in 2014, e.g.

But I’ll definitely add Clemmings to my list of guys to watch, and ILB Zach Hodges from the previous post, too. Both seem like potential mid/late round picks who could interest the Pats.

Well reasoned thoughts on Clemmons there MM. I put him in 3rd rd on my board for sake of argument but allow for movement either way.

I have a hard time giving Clemmings a 1st round grade, Early, 3d sounds more likely IMO. If you want an under the Radar guy, who is coachable, look at OT/OG Laurence Gibson a player I have seen in person in my back yard from Va. Tech. 6’6″ 301 lbs , runs a 4.94 40yd.
    Also an interesting prospect, OT/OG Brey Cook 6’7″ 316 lbs, runs a 5.28 40 yd. from Arkansas.

• MaineMan says:

Just wanted to say thanks for the prospect tips, Russell. We always get bombarded with info about the major media’s projected top prospects and never hear enough about potential “sleepers”. I’m always eager to hear about relative unknowns with potential.

So, keep ’em coming!

• Russell says:

Thanks guys for your interest! Coach Belichick like’s a size/speed type guy at LB, BUT more important he wants a smart guy. You only need to look back at Jerod Mayo”s interview with Coach Belichick a few days, before they drafted Mayo.
        So as of now, the two LB’s Ilike best are;
        Charles David Tull a DE/OLB 6’2″+ 244 lbs who runs a 4.58 40 yd.
        Vince Buhagiar , a true ILB 6’3″+ 251 lbs who runs a 4.78 40 yd.
        Both from smaller programs, but each is a three time Academic All-American, with other Academic honors. Check out thier game tape.
        If I was the person drafting for the Patriots I would get both these guy’s, and DE/DT Henry Anderson for sure!! IMO

Checked out limited film on Vince Buhagiar. He’s a force inside stuffing the run or blitzing but does not appear to have lateral quickness, stiff can’t change direction quickly and a liability in pass coverage. He just can’t cover TE or RB crossing short middle, no speed.

• Russell says:

I agree Steve to a point , most of the best coverage LB guys in College weigh in at 220+ lbs. ,a SS size in the NFL. Buhagiar is not as quick as Tull, however Tull will need work in Coverage as well. I look first for guys that can get off blocks, and are tackling machines, stay out of the wash, take good angles on the field etc. But speed is always nice!

At this early point I’d prefer Tull over Buhagiar though both are day three possibility’s. Tull appears to have an athletic edge and with coaching a higher up side. WE won’t really know until after the all stars and combine. Should be interesting.

Seckonded to MM’s post. Keep em’ coming.

*/ ?>