2014 NFL Draft: New England Patriots Select Bryan Stork (OL, Florida State)

Bryan Stork will compete with Ryan Wendell and Dan Connolly on the interior offensive line.

NEPD Editor: James Christensen

After adding Dominique Easley on Day 1 and Jimmy Garoppolo on Day 2, the New England Patriots have drafted Bryan Stork (OL, Florida State) with the 105th pick of the 2014 NFL Draft. Read on for analysis.

Stork will come in as a rookie and compete with Ryan Wendell to be the starting center. At 6’4″ and 315 pounds, he is built for handling monster defensive lineman that he will see against the Buffalo Bills and New York Jets. He has a good anchor in pass protection and seems capable of handling stunts and twists inside.

He isn’t a great mover, his athleticism isn’t what is expected out of a typical offensive lineman. He is decent blocking in space, but doesn’t look fluid trying to get to the second level.

Stork didn’t get a chance to show off at the combine due to knee and shoulder issues. He nearly had a finger amputated in 2012. It is possible that Stork could get “redshirted” in 2014, but I think he’ll be ready to go by training camp.

Stork’s effort and leadership are beyond reproach. I’ve heard nothing but good things from scouts and a source within the Florida State strength and conditioning program. The media certainly didn’t overlook Stork’s contributions last year as Florida State dominated opponents.

Stork made 40 starts at Florida State and saw time at all three interior line positions.

Similarly to Nate Solder, Stork might not start the season as the No. 1 center or guard, but look for him to get every chance to start in 2015 and beyond.

Tags: 2014 NFL Draft, Bryan Stork, Patriots Draft Picks

33 Responses to “2014 NFL Draft: New England Patriots Select Bryan Stork (OL, Florida State)”

1. John says:

I like the patriots draft this year they don’t need any one to come in and start. So why not take the best players available? If Kony early fell to the patriots instead of going to Carolina maybe he would’ve been their pick. And stork can compete with Wendell next year for a starting center position, while Connolly has it this year. Drafting Fleming allows the patriots to potentially move cannon to rg and Halipalio could provide good depth and maybe replace Logan mankind in 2-3 years. Just my thoughts but what would I know I’m only a high school kid

2. acm says:

good player, good fit imo. He’s a prototypical Patriots OL-man. Don’t think he translates to OG all that well but should solidify the OC position.

If B. Cave, Stork and Fleming pan out in training camp, it would be hard seeing both Connoly and Wendell remain on the roster this year.

3. Smog says:

Daniel, if you’re going to be taunting people and insulting their intelligence in writing (like for instance saying you’ll give people your “math lesson” reallllly slowllly, so they’ll understand) you might first want to learn to spell words like “ridiculous” and learn the difference between “your” and “you’re.”

You’re certainly entitled to go around rolling up your draft guides and whacking people over the head with them, but if the gist of your opinion is “Someone I read says Bryan Stork is a seventh-rounder,” I’d consider saving your rage and bluster for a weightier, more original insight.

For what it’s worth, I have relatives in Wisconsin and watch a lot of Badgers games. James White is a very good running back. He’s like a smaller version of Ridley: his timed speed isn’t so hot, but he finds the hole quickly every time and has great feet in traffic. He’s small and he doesn’t go the distance much, but he’s sound all around, he pass blocks, he can catch the ball, you can play him on any down and run any play with him, even a goal-line dive. But feel free to read the combine numbers and be bummed out if you like.

4. Ken W says:

I like the points you brought up bmp1113. Pats were in the AFC championship game last year and were missing the following:

Gronk, Mayo, Wilfork, and Talib for half the game.

FA players added:

Revis, Browner, LaFell, Smith

Patriots are a really good team with not to many holes. So if they draft players that aren’t day one starters its ok because there is a lot of talent on this team. Build depth and develop players so that if there are injuries or players move on you can have someone that can step in and be a solid player.

5. bmp1113 says:

Lol i hate my fellow pats fans every year. They some how think they are better gms than BB and the pats. People act like clowney was available at the end of the second. Everyone is so quick to jump on the colts for not having a backup qb groomed behind manning and just getting really lucky with luck. The pats are staying prepared at the most important position in football like they always do. Easley is a beast and would have been top 10 or 5. They get a center that can start day one and a kid who gets underrated because he looks small, but he makes great cuts and was able to run between the tackles. He was also an impressive blocker at the senior bowl. Every year pats fans complain but arent smart enough to go back and see how completely wrong they were. They arent in a possition where they are drafting day one starters. This is a team that was in the afc championship and had one of the best free agency periods of any team.

6. Daniel R. Martin says:

So now we take a 3rd down running back who lacks elite speed and isn’t large and powerful.

Apparently the GM in Houston has denounced rumors of a trade for Mallet. Essentially we used our second round pick on what will be, at least for this year, a 3rd string QB from a weak school.

7. Daniel R. Martin says:

Oh Kevan, Smog please please tell me how I can convince you both that I trully am a legitimate Patriots fan. Because I really am concerned with that you think. Especially you kevan, who seems to have followed the history of my posts on this site so very closely.

Funny thing is, I don’t recall having seen you guys posting on here in February, March, April. I’ll wait for someone like ACM, Steve, or Alex to post. You know, people who’s opinions are actually respected by the community.

See JDrive’s post if you need someone to explain it better to you. I echo his sentiments precisely.

I guess by your logic anyone who disagrees with a decisions(s) made by their team isn’t really a true fan. If pretending these decisions were good ones is a requisite to being a true fan in your opinion, then please feel free to label me however you wish. I’m fine with that.

Smog, unless your a talent scout employed by a NFL team, you seem fairly rediculous attempting to criticize someone from utilizing scouting reports to analyze the quality of a draft selection. How else would one get the information needed to make such an assessment? Attend or watch every NCAA game? Grow up. You remind me of a person who likes to laugh at a sports fan when they use pronouns like “we,” as in “we” did it or “we” won. It’s part of being a fan. I have an important that isn’t uninformed and I will continue to exercise my right to voice my opinions as boisterously as i so choose.

For the record, at least Stork plays a position of need and isn’t plagued will a combination of career threatening injuries and off field conduct issues as well. And at least he won’t ride the bench for four years. A year or two tops.

• Kevan says:

I’ve been coming to this site for years now, don’t have consistent internet access. I never said I was a fan of another team either. You can disagree with what the team does just don’t whine like a little kid. Don’t act like you know more than people that do this for a living. Patriots could care less about what a person has as their draft board. If your such a fan you would have figured that out over a decade ago. No one will really know how good they drafted for a couple years like every other year.

• Daniel R. Martin says:

But, you see Kevan, that’s just the thing! I will whine in whatever fashion I so choose, and I will do so as loud and incessantly as I desire. I do appreciate your permission though. Thanks for reminding me that I do in fact have a right to not only have but to voice dissenting opinions.

There are precisely 32 general managers of NFL Franchises in the entire world. I don’t hold to your belief that only they can adequately assess and evaluate the decision making of other NFL front office personnel. As I mentioned previously, that is similar to being told you can’t have a valid opinion concerning our national foreign policy because you aren’t a veteran of a foreign war. This isn’t secret guild knowledge. It’s football, not rocket science. One doesn’t need to be Vince Lombardi or Madden in order to determine whether or not he/she feels as though his team has made good decisions. Especially when they are as poor as the decisions made by our team this year.

Also, thanks for letting me know that it is in fact not possible for one person to be a fan of both a NFC and an AFC team. That makes great since. You are clearly the greater fan than I.

• Daniel R. Martin says:

*great sense I meant. I better get that out there before either you, smog or one of the other idiots trolling our forum around draft days decides to correct my word selection.

8. TommyTwo Tone says:

Ahhh, the boo birds are out again and can’t wait to armchair their way into BB selection processes once again. Funny how making the playoffs almost every year with selected players isn’t a problem for other teams fan bases. To bad for our spoiled brat commentary squad have to be proven wrong again and again. My opinion… put a sock in it. Let the pros do their job and go to the fridge and make a sandwich.

9. J H TARBORO says:

What the hell are we doing! This draft is not the best and we’re not using the complete depth of players that could really make a difference now. Very hard to justify their picks but it’s still round 4. Let see what happens, the AFC and the east just got real serious, wake up Nick Casario!

10. Kevan says:

Danny boy your a terd. Go root for the falcons you pretender

• Kevan says:

Not a bigger fan in this board huh? That’s why you have 2 teams, and root for the falcons. Easley is a top 10 talent, garappolo was a good pick at a need position, and stork won the award for best center in the nation. Take your negativity to a falcons website. Let the professionals do their job, you don’t know squat.

11. Smog says:

Sounds like Daniel Martin knows everything about everything because he read someone else’s opinions about Stork. I can see being personally disappointed in a pick on that basis, but to go on angrily denouncing/haranguing other posters for their failure to agree with your borrowed scouting opinions is pretty hilarious.

The bottom line is none of us knows anything abut most of these picks. We haven’t watched Bryan Stork play, just as none of us had watched Sebastian Vollmer or Logan Mankins or Matt Cassell. That we needed an interior offensive linemen is certain, and that we needed a bigger center seems to be something most Pats fans agree with. Is this the right guy? Who knows? But the logic of drafting a center seems sound. It’s a strange thing to get mad about.

12. Daniel R. Martin says:

Keyboard stalling. I wrote “learn to listen critically or save your sardonic wit for someone who values your opinions.”

Did you actually say these are good selections? So, you think wasting a second round pick on a qb to ride the bench for four years is a good thing when the greatest qb ever is drawing closer to retirement?

13. Dan Sullivan says:

Excellent pick! Gayle or Jackson Defensive Ends would be a nice next pick

• Daniel R. Martin says:

Excellent pick huh? Stork is currently listed as having a seveth round to undrafted grade on most draft sites. He was selected with essentially our third round pick.

• Frankie says:

Bryan Stork is rated a third round pick, with a chance to go higher, in Lindy’s Sports Pro Football Draft magazine. He receives a grade of 6.9, which translates to a solid starter. He won the Rimington Trophy, given to the nations top center, while playing for Florida State University. He was the anchor of the offensive line of the best team in the country. I look forward to seeing him in a Patriots uniform.

• DRM says:

I recall having seen him with a fourth round grade a month or two ago, but he has apparently fallen. Precipitously. He has been injured I believe.

14. Daniel R. Martin says:

Great Job on getting that center with the seventh round to UDFA grade with what essentially was your third round pick Belichick. This nightmare just gets worse and worse.

There is not a bigger NE fan on this board, but the comments pretending these were good selectionsk, and there will be plenty, are living in denial. You can not justify this horrible collection of decisions. The only thing reassuring is that Miami and Buffulo have somewhere managed to do just as bad.

About three years ago BB visited Chip kelly for some pointers on how to speed up his hurry-up offense. he should now go visit the front offices in Houston and San Fran to learn how to draft.

• Phil says:

Yeah you’re the biggest NE fan on this board….if you were you would know the picks they made are good selections for the team.

• Daniel R. Martin says:

Leanr to re your sardonic wit for somehwere who values your opinion. I didn’t say I was the biggest NE fan. I said there is no bigger fan than I.

I’m going to give you this jmath lesson reaeeeealllly slowwwwly. 7th Rd to undrafted grade on a player taken with essentially our third round pick.

• Ken W says:

Who’s 7th round grade? Clearly it wasn’t the Pats grade on him. Teams rate guys differently, and many other sources you have no idea where they are getting there info from.

• Daniel R. Martin says:

• JDrive says:

It’s mindblowing how people are trying to justify these picks.

1st-A player with two torn ACL’s and ankle issues. BUT, BUT the team that just won the Superbowl and is completely stacked was going to take him so that must means that the Patriots, who have a completely different roster and have fallen short in recent years, taking him was a great choice.

2nd-Average QB who played against terrible competition when there were WAY better players on the board and when next year’s draft will likely have a better QB crop. BUT, BUT he’s “SMART” and gives a good interview so that means that he’s a SURE THING and going to OPEN A NEW CHAMPIONSHIP WINDOW.

3rd-A decent player who had a 7th-UA grade and could’ve easily been taken later in the draft.

Not a single immediate need was met. Meanwhile teams like Seattle, Denver, San Fran, etc. all got better. People are really chugging the FanBoy Kool-Aid.

• John says:

Name 1 position the patriots need or needed a rookie to come in and play all 16 games?

• Ken W says:

I think a lot of people are over reacting on the draft way to early. These players haven’t even stepped on the NFL field yet and people are saying they are garbage.

Easley has some injury concerns but if he stays healthy he could be a great player for the Pats. If he wasn’t hurt in college most likely would have been in the top half of the 1st. ACL’s aren’t as big of a deal as they were 10-20 years ago, players come back from them all the time now.

Garoppolo has the tools to be a good QB in the NFL and everyone is down on the pick because he doesn’t help the team right now. Not breaking news here but if you don’t have a QB in this league you aren’t a contender. Brady is only has several years left and if they had a high grade on Garoppolo and think he could be the next guy, why is that a bad thing? Unless we want to be the Browns, Jags, or Raiders in four years that don’t have a QB and have been searching for one for 10+ years. We have to wait and see if this pick was smart or not, lets not automatically decide its a waste.

Stork fits what the Pats look for in the OL. Watch some of the interviews with this guy. Has a little Mankins to him when talking about football. He doesn’t care what his 40 time is or how many bench press reps he puts up. He says it over and over “I’m a football player”. Also takes pride in his football intelligence and making the calls at the line. I think he will compete for the C or maybe RG starting spot this year.

I am a little critical of the Pats not trading Mallet yet, but there is still plenty of time to make something happen on that front. Would hate to just lose Mallet after next year without getting anything back.

• bmp1113 says:

I agree. You have to take a qb early not late or you could end up like the browns or jags who go through a ton of high picks trying to make your team not suck. Just because you take a qb high doesnt mean he’ll pan out. Just ask Gabbert and all the “experts” that called him a top 5 pick. The pats grabbed mallet and he hasn’t been great so now time to try again. Everyone acts like they know what should happen, and like they have the answers, but thats just silly for a thing like the draft which has a 30% success rate. The pats have been determined to be one of the top drafting teams by studies using all different ways of grading, yet some fans seem to think they suck at drafting, and magic sends them deep in the playoffs every year.

15. ScottE says:

this guy seems like a perfect Pat on paper. lets hope the new OL coach can coach this kid up