2014 Patriots 7-Round Mock: Version 5.0 (and a Few Notes)

Is Safety Deone Bucannon a fit for the Patriots?

NEPD Editor: Mike Loyko

At this point in the draft season it can be difficult to find the truth, things are fluid and constantly changing. Even though I completed  a mock draft earlier this week, some things have changed which will effect the end of the first round and the Patriots selection. With that being said I take another attempt at predicted all of the Patriots selections and in addition provide some draft thoughts on the franchise.

2014 New England Patriots Mock Draft

Round 1 (29) - Dominique Easley, DT, Florida

In my mock earlier this week I mocked Ryan Shazier to the Patriots. I’m moving off that selection because I believe he’ll be off the board and I get the vibe the Patriots aren’t that enamored with him. The most logical position to address in the first round remains defensive line and I know they are looking hard at a number of DT/DE types. The Patriots don’t have a player like Easley on the current roster. He can play any position on the defensive line and provides disruption at each one. It’s possible Easley falls into the middle of the second round due to his knee injuries and as always the Patriots will look to shop the pick.

Round 2 (62)- Deone Bucannon, SAF, Washington State

Safety isn’t the biggest need on the roster, but if the Patriots get a chance to pick the Wazzou product they should take it. Bucannon brings size and physicality to the backend of the defense. He wow’d scouts with his great combine performance; running faster than many anticipated. He’ll struggle in the deep third, but he makes up for it by playing the role of enforcer. Bucannon has drawn interest from the Patriots in the pre-draft process, but it remains unknonw if Bill Belichick will want to use another Day Two selection on a Safety. If a Tight End like Troy Niklas is still on the board the Patriots would look long and hard.

Round 3 (93)Marcus Smith, OLB, Louisville

If there is one position where this draft lacks impact it’s at pass rusher. There are only a handful of “true” impact edge rushers in this draft and the rest are projects. Smith is an interesting hybrid player. He’s a developing pass rusher that produced at a high level in 2013, but he’s also has the potential to become a solid coverage backer in the NFL. Smith is a similar prospect to Jamie Collins. Both players were bounced between positions, both players are college pass rushers, and both are fluid athletes that can play on their feet in the NFL.

Round 4 (130)Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers

I’d be really surprised if the Patriots take a Wide Receiver in the first round, but look for them to add one more young body to the position at some point n the draft. Coleman brings a rare skillset that is currently lacking on the roster. Coleman boasts an impressive combination of size and speed, which would be welcomed by QB Tom Brady. He’d provide a much needed “big-bodied” receiveing target downfield and in the Red Zone.

Round 4 (140) *Andre Williams, RB, Boston College

Running Back is in a little bit of flux right now. LeGarrett Blount is officially lost, no replacement is on the horizon, and both of their “starting” backs are free agents after the season. I’m told Bill Belichick liked the “four-man” RB rotation he employed most of last season, making it likely the team selects at least one during the draft. Andre Williams is the perfect replacement for LeGarrette Blount. He can run with the same type of force and he’s sneaky fast. Williams can play a reserve role as a rookie and if he shows enough promise could make the decision to resign Stevan Ridley a little bit tougher.

Round 6 (198)Marion Grice, RB, Arizona State

Selecting a RB like Marion Grice right after picking the big, bruising Andre Williams is reminscent of 2011 where the Patriots double dipped with Vereen and Ridley. Their  decision to let Danny Woodhead go came back to haunt them last season. Not only did they fail to adequately replace him, his replacement was hurt most of the season. There is no way they can enter next season without adding another receiver out of the backfield. Grice fits that mold perfectly. He was primarily used as a receiver in the Arizona State spread passing attack and caught 91 balls over the last two seasons. While he doesn’t run super fast, he makes up for it with impressive lateral agility and good openfield vision. By adding the tandem of Williams and Grice to Vereen and Ridley the Patriots build-in insurance in case of injury, free agent departures, and give themselves a nice four man rotation for 2014.

Round 6 (206)Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorado State

The Tight End position features a massive drop off in talent early in this draft. After Troy Niklas and CJ Fiedorowicz come off the board there isn’t another TE worth taking for at least a full round. If the Patriots miss out on that top tier they are best served to wait beacause none of the guys available can become starters in year one. Gillmore is an interesting prospect that really turned heads at the Senior Bowl. He possesses a well-rounded skill-set and projects to an inline role. His ceiling as a receiver is limited compared to guys like Niklas and Amaro, but he can become a very good four down player. Serviceable, that’s the word I’d use to describe the Tight Ends after the top tier, serviceable.

Round 7 (244) – Kevin Pamphile, OT, Purdue

Pamphile is a late round O-Line sleeper that is rising up draft boards. The Patriots have shown interest and had him into Foxboro for an official visit. As of right now the Offensive Tackle depth on the roster is lacking and with a new OL coach, I wouldn’t be surprised if they moved Marcus Cannon inside to Guard.

Draft Notes

1) Last night news began to swirl about the Patriots and their “love” for Pittsburgh QB Tom Savage. Patriots fans can relax a little as I am told there isn’t much truth to the rumor. Savage didn’t exactly leave Rutgers on good terms with Head Coach Greg Schiano and the Patriots definitely don’t like him enough to pick him where he’s going to get picked. They’ve done an extraordinary amount of homework on QBs compared to past seasons and while  it appears they are interested in adding another QB, they aren’t using a 1st or 2nd Round pick on Tom Savage.

2) One prospect who appears to be rising rapidly is Boise State DE/OLB Demarcus Lawrence. Once thought of as a late 2nd or early 3rd round prospect now looks likely to get picked in the top 40. The Patriots were scheduled to have Lawrence in for a private workout, but decided to cancel it. He’s a “sleeper pick” to keep an eye on for #29. He entered the draft after his Redshirt Sophomore season and still has some growing up to do. Despite that he’s a versatile pass rusher that can move around the front seven and uses his hands really well for such an unrefined pass rusher.

3) The Patriots, more than any other team, have their name leaked in connection with a prospect  visit or work out. The reason for this is simple. Agents love to let the NFL know that the Patriots worked out their client and “might have” interest in them. Just being mentioned in connection with Bill Belichick can generate buzz and improve their perceived draft status. Realize how no one cares when a prospect visits Jacksonville or Oakland? Word leaks that the Patriots might have interest in a prospect and the internet breaks. It’s the power of the hoodie.

4) Following up on the Pre-Draft Workout List, there are nearly 100 confirmed contacts on the list and no obvious pattern appears. They aren’t favoring any one position over another and the types of prospects seem equally random. I know everyone likes to over-analyze which prospect visited or which coach is working out who, but this year they are keeping things close to the vest. Belichick is great at throwing the media and league off his trail. One year he travels to personally work out a prospect, the next year they pick a player they  didn’t have any contact with, and then there is the case of canceling a pre-draft workout right before it happens. In short, you can’t take much away from pre-draft contact.

5) I talked about Demarcus Lawrence risng up draft boards at the other end of the spectrum there are a few players plummeting down the rankings. Three players immediately come to mind are Arizona State DT Will Sutton, Stanford LB Shyane Skov, and Miami (FL) OT Seantreal Henderson. All three were once highly touted players and for one reason or another are in for a long wait on draft day. Sutton is coming off a lethargic Senior year in which he was overweight and he definitley hasn’t helped himself at the Senior Bowl or Combine. Shayne Skov put off running a 40 yard dash as long as he could, but scouts finally got him to run earlier this week. If Tony Pauline’s report that he “struggled to break 5.20″ is true then he’s going to have a tough time getting picked. In Henderson’s case, he could be a Top 10 pick if he gave a shit about football and actually gave it his all. The problem his he does neither and is dropping quickly. Out of the three Henderson probably gets picked first, just because if he does dedicate himself, he could become a special player.

6) If you interested about learning more about prospects such as Dominque Easley and the other 314 Top prospects, check out my draft book. I’m sure you’ll like it.

Tags: Andre Williams, Deone Bucannon

86 Responses to “2014 Patriots 7-Round Mock: Version 5.0 (and a Few Notes)”

1. kevin says:

a trade to houston so they could take a falling player i think this is pretty realistic except for bucannon lasting that long

Round 2 Pick 1 (HOU): Joel Bitonio, OG, Nevada (B)
    Round 2 Pick 30: Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State (A)
    Round 3 Pick 1 (HOU): Deone Bucannon, SS, Washington State (A)
    Round 3 Pick 29: C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa (A-)
    Round 4 Pick 30: Caraun Reid, DT, Princeton (A)
    Round 4 Pick 40 (COMP): Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers (A)
    Round 6 Pick 22: Aaron Lynch, DE, South Florida (B)
    Round 6 Pick 30: Walt Aikens, CB, Liberty (B-)
    Round 7 Pick 29: Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno State (B-)

2. bmp1113 says:

I think there is some great value in this draft so I’d be in favor of trading down into the second and third. Id like to see them come away with guys like van noy (who I think is a better fit and football player than shazier), fiedorowicz, DaQuan Jones, and Aaron Murray who would be a steal at qb because of the injury. I think Niklas, ASJ, and Amaro would all be great te’s too so there’s no reason to take one high. I think fiedorowicz just shows a great all around game, hes probably the best blocker, has great hands, and impressed at the combine in the quickness drills. Beyond that the pats just need all the oline depth they can find. The starters return but depth is needed. It would be nice to see improvement at center but i dont see a rookie that can be sent in there day 1 and start. A solid de would be nice too but not nearly necessary.

3. Dylan.C says:

Pats trade their 29th pick with Jacksonville for second, third, and fifth round selections.

2a. Demarcus Lawrence
    2b. Troy Niklas
    3a. Weston Richburg
    3b. Christian Jones
    4a. Ego Ferguson
    4b. Craig Loston
    5. Kevin Peirre-Luois
    6. Tyler Gaffney
    7. Coly Lyerla

• John says:

Like the picks but think it is a bit of a stetch for the patriots to be able to get Richburg in the third and Christian jones with the 93rd. Also some people have pass rushers like jeremiah attatachu and Lawrence rising up, and Lawrence could be picked up in the first round. I think if Lawrence is there take him or they could either take DE Scott Crichton, I know he isn’t a flashy player but he is well rounded ( run and pass), and unlike Lawrence is very strong. But however he is not as flexible, fast or as effective as a pass rusher. But he has a higher motor then Lawrence

• Zander says:

There is no way in hell the Pats take Lyerla after his comments about Sandy Hook. No way. Honestly, despite his athleticism, I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes undrafted.

4. Trevor says:

A little something on what Matt Waldman says on Gillmore:

“Gillmore isn’t a special player after the catch and I doubt he ever will be. He’s fluid enough to use a stiff arm or make the first defender miss with a stop-start move or sidestep. He also knows when to lower his pads and bull forward for extra yards.

I project Gillmore as a reserve with starter potential if he can get a little more explosive and/or refined with his technique. He’ll help immediately on special teams and two tight end sets as an extra run blocker.”

5. Ken W says:

1 Austin Seferian-Jenkins (TE)
    2 DaQuan Jones (DL)
    3 Jackson Jeffcoat (OLB/DE) or Adrian Hubbard (OLB/DE)
    4 Travis Swanson (C)
    4 Preston Brown (ILB)
    6 Antone Exum (CB/S)
    6 Trey Burton (TE)
    7 James Wilder (RB) or Trey Millard (RB/FB/TE)

Think this would cover a lot of needs. ASJ would bring another athletic TE to the offense if he checks out medically. A few LB’s in the middle rounds to replace Spikes and Fletcher, plus would add the the pass rush with Jeffcoat or Hubbard. Exum is a value pick because of his injury. Burton is more of a move TE that has been said to pick up schemes quickly. Round it out with a RB for depth.

6. Jeff V says:

No TE until the 6th round? I would be shocked if they didn’t take 2 TE’s in this draft.

7. Geoff says:

1st- Troy Nicholas TE Notre Dame – Glaring need, great all around game, improves red zone package, Gronk insurance.
    2nd – Kareem Martin DE NC – Measurable’s off the charts, set an edge much? Great complement to Chandler Jones. Can already stop the run, pass rush can be coached up.
    3rd/4th – John Urschel C/G Penn State – About time we see a Penn State connection. Versatile, smart, great at pulling.
    3rd/4th – Andre Williams RB Boston College – North south downhill power back. Yep, sounds good.
    ? – Caleb Lavey, ILB Oklahoma State – Late rising ILB who excels at coverage. Bye bye Brandon Spikes.
    ? – Jeff Mathews QB Cornell – Great arm, nice hight. BB loves pocket passers.

8. Dan Sullivan says:

Patriot Predictions

Draft
    1 Trade for 2,3 and 6th round choices.
    2 Donte Moncreif WR Mississippi
    2 Will Sutton NT Arizona
    3 Jackson Jeffcoat DE Texas
    3 Jack Mewhort OT Ohio State
    4 Jake Murphy TE Utah
    4 Blake Annen TE Cincinnati
    6 Kapri Bibbs RB Colorado State
    6 Rajion Neal RB Tennesse
    6 Chris Watt G Notre Dame
    7 Alden Darby SS Arizona St.

UDFA
    James Stone C Tennessee
    Tahj Jones OLB LSU
    Kendall James CB Maine
    Jordan Lynch QB Northern Illinois

9. Big w says:

If we sit at 29 then Kyle Fuller has to be the man.
    But I think it goes like this trade down with Jacksonville we get 39, 105, 144 for 29.
    39 Austin Seferin-Jenkins TE
    62 Marcus Smith OLB
    93 Christian Jones ILB
    105 Craig Loston SS
    130 Aaron Lynch DE
    140 Storm Johnson RB
    144 Tardiff OT?OG
    198 Bodine C
    206 Josh Maura DE
    244 Jonathan Newsome LB

10. gil says:

Pats will perhaps trade the 29th pick for teams intrested in acquiring QBs. We should get mid 2nd, 3rd and 5th.

2nd — Dominique Easly, DT, could create an interior terror.
    2nd — Jarvis Landry, WO, great player.
    3rd — Austin Safarian jenkins, TE
    3rd — Andre Williams, RB, BC— This kid is a game changer, bright future, good character.
    4th — Brandon Thomas, OG, Injury is the main reason that he will drop. It would be a steal.
    4th — Craig Loston, Safety—LSU
    5th — Dri Archer, Offensive Weapon
    6th — Chase Rettig, QB, BC
    6th — Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorado State
    7th — Kevin Pierre Louis, LB, BC

• RMillette says:

That pick is still too early for me to be comfortable with Easley and I really don’t want a WR in at all. Unless they plan on cutting multiple people from Boyce Thompkins slater or Harrison we have a full slate of receivers all ready. I’m of the opinion Jenkins will be off the board by this point but I do like the picks of Williams and Thomas. What I really dot understand is a waste of a 6th on chase rettig. I see now way he gets drafted and even as a bc fan, can’t understand why we would really want him.

11. Willy says:

I like Easley BUT if any of the following players are available I would take any of them first (and I would hope Bill would too) > Donald (Id trade up to get him), Nix, Tuitt.
    I like Buc- and would take him in the 2nd round BUT I could easily see the Pats nabbing a WR instead. If any of Lee, Robinson, Moncrief, Benjamin, Matthews or Latimer are available I dont know how you could possibly pass them up. And since the Pats still have a need for an outside Receiver…
    As for the 3rd round, now way in Haiti’s would I want them to pick a LB here when they have a desperate need for another TE. With Fiedorowicz most likely available Id go after him (if they dont get a TE in the 2nd round because for me it’s either WR or TE).
    In the final round, why on Earth would they draft a Tackle when they have 2 good ones now? They still have needs, Guard, Center, RB, QB < which you never addressed….

12. steve earle says:

Hi guys, I’m hopefully back. Computer glitch wouldn’t let me post but I have been following yours. Lots of interesting mocks. Boldest mock by Russell who would pkg our 1st and 3rd to move up to take the Ala QB. Wow Russell! Unless Russell has some inside info none of the rest of us have that has to he a huge reach. Not having any inside info and not seeing that much has changed since the combine I’m pretty much sticking with what I think I know. What I don’t know is what BB knows but if I was in charge this would be how I’d go.
    My last mock before the draft.
    1#29 Trade down for a 2nd & a 3rd ( No way we get 3 or 4 picks for #29 this year)

2a (mid or high) ASJ TE Wash
    2b DaQuan Jones DT Penn St
    3a (mid or high) Travis Swanson OC Ark
    3b Christian Jones LB Fla St
    4a Ahmad Dixon SS Baylor
    4 (comp) Jerick McKinnon RB Geo So
    5 traded
    6a Spencer Long OG Neb
    6b AC Leonard TE
    7 Colt Lyerla TE Ore

My reasoning is this gives us the strongest overall draft including at positions of need and taking acceptable risks for high reward prospects in 6th and 7th rds.

• Dylan.C says:

I like this Draft allot, maybe because we have so many picks in common (I posted right bellow you if you want to take a look). I think I just value and edge rusher more than you do but I would be pretty excited if the draft went this way.

• Willy says:

Lyerla is expected to go by the 5th round & I highly doubt the Pats would go after him considering his Red flags, of which there are too many.

Not sure who is predicting lyerla in the 5th but allowing his red flags (with fireworks) I’m allowing him a 7th in my mock. If someone wants him in the 5th they are welcome.

• acm says:

In the mock he had the Pats trading up, Russell had them taking OL Zack Martin, not AJM.
      Personally, I agree with Russell on that (although not a fan of his mocking AJM to the Pats at 29, not one bit).
      Think there are two players I can see the Pats even trade up for in the 1st, should they fall within range – Zack Martin and Louis Nix.

• Bill Vermont says:

I could not imagine trading up for a OG in this draft. Or for Nix. Pats need pass rusher and a TE and can I’ll afford to use 2 picks on a guard.

• acm says:

It’s BB we are talking about here, nothing is out of the question. The trenches, mate, it all starts in the trenches.

You are right it was Martin not AJM Russell wanted to trade up for, my mistake. Now I’d be fine taking Martin at #29 but not using additional picks to move up to get him. We just have to many holes to plug. A trade up would net us 2 picks in the top 100, standing pat 3, and trading down likely 4.

• Bruschi54 says:

That would be a great draft, sign me up for this one!

• Kevan says:

Not bad, I like it. I think asj and colt would be enough and I’m not too familiar with Dixon. I really like the McKinnon pick.

13. PNI Online says:

Awesome updation!!!

14. Patriot Paul in the ATL says:

First time poster love the site. Just can’t see the Pats passing on a TE in round 1 and 2. In fact, I see us drafting 2 of them early.

Chris Jones and Siliga showed me something and Armstead will hopefully contribute behind Vince and Kelly. I’d like to see Hightower/Collins blitzing more from all over.

DEs like Anthony Spencer, Will Smith, Jason Hunter and Keisel still available FA’s and all should come cheap and provide depth.

On the other hand, the TE cupboard is bare unless we want to look at Fred Davis, or take flyers on Jermichael Finley, Keller.

Let’s grab one the top 5 TE’s before round 2 ends and pick Colt Lyerla late.

By the way, I love the Glennon thought for a pick next year.

15. Dylan.C says:

Pats Trade Their First For a 2nd, 3rd, and 5th

2nd: Dee Ford
    2nd: Bishop Sankey
    3rd: Kareem Martin
    3rd: Christian Jones
    4th:Daniel McCullers
    4th:Ahmad Dixon
    5th:Kevin Pierre-Louis
    6th: Zach Fulton
    7th: Colt Lyerla

• Dylan.C says:

I understand Dee Ford may not fall this far but I think between Dee Ford, Demarcus Lawrence, and Jeremiah Attaochu one of the tweener OLB/DE pass rushers will still be available in the early second.

These tweeners are good players but I’m not in favor of taking a tweener with our top pick. I see them as sub-package and sp teams guys until proven otherwise.

16. Dan Sullivan says:

Patriot Predictions

Draft
    1 Trade for 2,3 and 7th round picks.
    2 Ryan Shazier OLB Ohio State
    7 Maurice Alexander SS Utah State

UDFA
    Casey Paschal QB TCU
    Matt Paradis C Boise State
    Keon Lyn CB Syracuse

17. Ken W says:

I am getting the feeling that the Pats first round pick will be Jace Amaro. There is more to a player then 40 times and highlight plays. Pats always pick players that love the game, have great football intelligence and that have that unmeasurable desire to be great and do whatever it takes to win.

If you haven’t heard the interview that Randy McMichael had with Amaro I would suggest listening to it. I know its a little long but all of Amaro’s answers are spot on and are exactly what the Patriots look for in a player.

• GM-In-Training says:

A first-round TE needs to excel at catching *and* blocking. Amaro…practically a receiver.

• Ken W says:

But that was because he wasn’t asked to block very much at Texas Tech, doesn’t mean he can’t. He is 6’5″ and 265 and was 2nd at the combine in bench press at his position, so he has a good frame and strength to become a good blocker. Hernandez was a decent blocker but was used more in the receiving game which is the roll Amaro would have.

• MaineMan says:

Hernandez put up 30 reps at the Combine (Amaro had 28) and he was a terrible blocker. Amaro may be even worse.

So many folks seem to be focused exclusively on the idea that a receiving TEs value is primarily in the mismatches he can create in coverage simply because he’s so much bigger (and, presumably, stronger) than a WR. But that’s not even half of it. A TE who can run-block really well, AND catch passes not only helps elevate the ground game but significantly reinforces play-action – a critical component to keeping defenses guessing and to keeping pass-rushers off the QB.

If a “receiving TE” can’t (or, like Hernandez, won’t) block, he’s really nothing more than a bigger, SLOWER wide receiver, and the occasional mismatch in coverage really won’t compensate for his deficits in the long run.

I have to agree with Maineman. Hernandez was successful largely because Gronk demanded far more attention. That’s not to say Amaro would not be an exceptable pick if Nicklas or ASJ were off the board.

18. jim r says:

First free-faller Bradley Roby.,,,,, this years dennard? rd 4-6

• Ryan says:

Jim, it looks like that OVI will be dismissed. That being said I think it still raises questions about character. I’m one of the few who still think the Patriots need to address the CB early. He could be a steal in the second or third.

19. Bill Vermont says:

All the mocks look so great, because the picks are rated like 20-50 spots higher. Even your own draft rater, which is very interesting and I’m sure you put a lot of work in it. But if you rate Marcus Smith #55, how do you expect him to be there at 93. If he’s a second round talent, and no one is sleeping on this guy, its very doubtful he lasts to the end of 3rd. But I like all the picks. That would be a great haul. It just seems to imply everbody’s an idiot but us.

20. Bill Vermont says:

Picking 29th is like having a good year and losing your first pick. 29 is more like a 2nd round, and makes it all the more important to just don’t make a mistake. I’d pass on Easley as a top pick, and maybe look at him at 62 if he’s there. People were talking about Tank Carradine as a great D lineman and he went like in 3rd round after his ACL went out.

Maybe it was a congenital thing with both ACL’s tearing, and maybe he’s repaired and better than ever, and maybe you never know with anyone in athletics, and maybe ACL is not so serious in 2014. Thas a lot of MAYBE’s

21. J H TARBORO says:

Mike Loyko, very decent mock draft! thanks.

22. TD says:

I would think that much like the free agent visits the Pat’s host, there are a few reasons to bring players in pre-draft:

1 Obtain as much personal info as possible,
    2 Get any medical info possible,
    3 Cement their draft board,
    4 Get an idea where in the draft the prospect should go.

I’m sure BB has an idea before and during the draft the guys certain teams would want, like the Vikings last year with our 1st rounder. He does a great job of determining where a certain guy will go and the value so he usually gets that guy with minimum of draft capital.

Now, that guy may not pan out (Wheatley, Wilhite, Ras-I, etc), but it’s up to the player to make the pick work out, BB can only put them in position to succeed.

• GM-In-Training says:

For the Pats, there are several more reasons to bring a player in.
      5. Get a feel for the work ethic, intelligence and coachability.
      6. Do early legwork for players that become available in August after cut downs, via trade, after their rookie deals are up, or any time in the next 5 years really.

• GM-In-Training says:

Oh, and they also like to
        7. Get in the head of players they may be competing against. That early intelligence comes in handy some times.

23. Dan Sullivan says:

Patriot Predictions

Draft
    1 Traded for 2,3 and 5th round selections.
    2 Troy Niklas TE Notre Dame
    2 James Gayle DE Virginia Tech
    3 Ego Ferguson DT LSU
    3 Devin Street WR Pittsburgh
    4 Dakota Dozier G Furman
    4 Ahmad Dixon SS Baylor
    5 Charles Sims RB West Virginia
    6 Lamin Barrow LB LSU
    6 Jake Murphy TE Utah
    7 Parker Graham OT Oklahoma State

Pats must move their first round pick as this is an extremely deep draft.

• Ryan says:

Dan, was Ego Ferguson held out of the bowl game against Iowa? I was looking for something along those lines, I thought one of LSU’s best DL got in trouble shortly before the bowl? Any idea?

• Dan Sullivan says:

Ryan,

I don’t know why he was suspended from bowl game but I think he would be a awesome
        addition to the Patriots.

Enjoy the Draft as there is a lot of talent in this years draft very strong thru 4 rounds.

Dan

24. John says:

The patriots should trade out if the first they don’t need to draft any starters except they could draft Weston Richburg in the 2nd to upgrade their center position. I think they trade their first for a second third and maybe a fifth round pick. They draft Early or Demarcus Lawrence with their first second then take Weston Richburg with the 62nd. In the third they take DT/NT Daguan Jones this kid is used to playing a lot of time in college and was used to collapse the pocket. With the 93rd I would take cj fiedorwicz TE. With the 130th OLB Christian kirskey and with the 140th OG Brandon Thomas (torn Acl). In the sixth TE Richard Rodgers and ILB Smallwood out of Uconn.

• Willy says:

I beg to differ. The Pats DO need starters. They need a starting TE, outside WR, LB and depth all over the place.

I agree with Willy we do need starters but in this draft starters can be taken in the 2nd, 3rd and into the 4th round if reports are correct. Trading down could give us 4 picks in the top 100. Seems to me the the best way to go.

25. John says:

The Easley pick isn’t horrible considering that many of the players that people want, or think that the Patriots should draft, are probably not going to be around at 29. The knees are a obviously a concern, but think about where he would have been taken if not for his injury history. Personally, I would rather see him be taken with their 2nd round pick and instead take someone like Lawerence, Nix, Latimer, Shazier, or one of the tight ends, with their 1st. Honestly though, I doubt that Nix, Lawerence, or Shazier are even going to be around at 29. It’s understandable if they stretch for a player they like, especially at 29, if you think he can be significantly better than any other of the players available at the time

• Trev says:

You can’t ignore those injuries, though. Two rebuilt knees. Sorry, but that’s a MASSIVE red flag. Don’t touch this guy. He will likely deal with knee issues his entire career.

26. Daniel R. Martin says:

Terrible. In a word. This draft is simply terrible.

27. hdh says:

1st K. Ealy DE/LB
    2nd T. Niklas TE
    3rd A. Murray QB
    4th J. Hill RB
    4th K. Norwood WR
    6th S. Stephen DL
    6th J. Tripp OLB
    7th R. Bodine C

• Dylan.C says:

Geez that would be the most unsexy draft every. Certainly all realistic picks that fit needs, just not much to get the average fan excited haha.

• RMillette says:

I think I’d be excited by a few picks like Ealy Niklas and Tripp. The big issue is that I don’t see any possibility where Jordan Tripp is available in the 6th round. I think he’s off the board well before then.

• Jim R says:

I think you would have to grab Tripp in the 4th.

• hdh says:

Probably right about that – hows this:

1st K. Ealy DE/LB
          2nd T. Niklas TE
          3rd A. Murray QB
          4th J. Hill RB
          4th J. Tripp OLB
          6th S. Stephen DL
          6th K. Norwood WR
          7th R. Bodine C

• Ryan says:

I have to disagree, I think that is one sexy draft. Lots of good players, lots of potential and lots of depth. Love to see a draft like that.

28. Trev says:

Even when healthy, Easely looks like a one trick pony to me. No way BB picks him in the first. Those knee injuries aren’t minor ones either.

29. Ken W says:

A lot of people like Bucannon and I do too, but I feel like Bill is going to give Harmon and possibly Ryan a shot at the Safety spot opposite McCourty. If they do try Ryan there in training camp and preseason and does well I think he could see some time there, now that they brought in two corners who would start over him. I think Ryan is a good player and a move to safety would get him on the field more which is what the Pats would like to do.

If they picked Bucannon in the 2nd I would be fine with that, but I feel like the Pats view Harmon and Ryan as viable options at that spot and don’t need to draft another safety when there are other positions available. Will depend on how they rate Bucannon as a player, but will be interesting to see which direction they go on draft day. Personally believe they take a safety late as competition for Ebner & Tavon for the special teams spot and reserve safety roll.

30. GM-In-Training says:

I honestly think the Pats need to create more mismatches, or it’s going to be a tough year offensively. That means getting a premium 6’6″ Y-TE to backup or bookend Gronkowski, and a talented move TE to be a swiss army knife (FB,TE, Slot, Wideout). This will further strengthen the running game, make life easier for Dobson to catch the deep ball, and make the hurry-up offense a nightmare to defend against. It’s very important for the Red Zone.

I think the Pats have to gamble that enough of their defensive tackles will play out the season that they’ve got it covered. Conversely, I’m worried about linebacker depth, especially linebackers that can cover TE. We could use another stud Defensive End for rotation as well.

Get us a swing C/G and we should be able to get through the season. Everything else would be bonus or placeholders for the future.

• trent says:

My thoughts are pretty in-line with yours actually. The pats have so many needs at this point, that there is no way to adequately fill them all with high-end draft capital in one year. So which positions will have to get through the season as-is? DT could be one of them. Now, I am not saying that DT will be ignored or should be ignored in the draft this year (I still think it is a need), but I am echoing your thought that hey, if the way the chips fall on draft day net us zero top-end DT’s, it won’t be the end of the world, because it meant that we filled another need instead.

The mock I posted below is right-on with your comment too, I believe (it is a situation where no DT is taken). And I will make one other comment since you tab yourself ‘GM-in-training’–keep an eye on the future drafts as well. I feel like a lot of fans of the team-building process are so worried about getting every need filled for THIS YEAR in the draft. Well, sometimes it just isn’t possible. And if DT doesn’t get filled this year, but you fill almost every other hole, then that means you can focus on DT in next year’s draft. Based on your comment, it seems you have a good sense for that already.

31. Matty says:

But you can’t argue that it’d be a universally hated pick; fans want an exciting, dynamic impact player, not a known risk. I’d much rather have a top Guard than Easley round one – value over risk. Only an RB would be more disappointing for me in round 1. But I also don’t think Easley goes before pick 45- I might take him in round 3, but only if we do well with the first two picks.

32. Mike Loyko says:

I love that people think I just throw this stuff out there without having some knowledge of what is going on.

• trent says:

Lol I remember a few mocks ago when you went nix in RD1 and ASJ in RD2 and everyone went ape shit because it was an ‘impossible’ scenario. Oh draft season….

• acm says:

whether that’s true or not in no way does it make the individual picks any better or the mock as a whole any more efficient.

great respect for the thought and effort you and the other writers/editors here put in running this site but the moment you start thinking that the key word in “twitter sources” is actually “sources”, you run the risk of losing any credibility whatsoever. Unless of course you actually believe that what BB and Caserio have in mind has been put out there for others to know and tweet about.

I guess we’ll soon know what you know or don’t know, considering Easley is sure as hell gonna be there at 29 (or early 2nd in case of a trade). Time will tell, as always.

• Mike Loyko says:

I promise you the source I use is not a “twitter source” and regardless if the Patriots pick the players I put down here or not (and I didn’t include everything I think will happen).. there is interest.

• acm says:

The issue was never lack of interest, tbh. The only player I doubt the Pats would have real interest in is Marion Grice, who’s a late pick. Everybody else seems like a perfectly legit player to draw looks from the Pats, including Easely.

The problem with Easley at 29 was never a matter of the Pats not looking at him (something that was widely reported on nfl.com, iirc). Rather that there is a difference between being interested in a player and considering him in the mid round range (due to all those red flags) and taking said player at 29. A first round pick implies prioritizing a given player and Easley would be a downright irresponsible pick in that regard. In the end, an early pick is about risk management and value maximization and the Pats would bottom out in both aspects if they were to take Easley at 29.
          Considering him in late 3rd and even better into the 4th round, however, changes that landscape completely into a radically different story. Will he fall there, maybe he does, maybe he doesn’t, but can’t prioritize a player with so many on- and off-field concerns.

• RMillette says:

got to agree with acm on this. Unless your source is BB himself I really don’t care who it is. Nor do I think anyone but BB has any real knowledge as to what will happen. Tavon Wilson and Duron Harmon prove that point perfectly. I don’t think anybody but BB and Nick Caserio have any real idea as to who the Patriots are looking to target and that any mock draft attempting to figure out what they will really do is an exercise in futility.

33. RMillette says:

Completely agree with all of the above. Easley is far too risky a pick to make for a team hoping to win now. May well work out great but you don’t hinge you’re entire d line rebuild on someone with 2 rebuilt knees. Total nonsense. Wouldn’t take him before the third. This pick screams to be traded for more depth later on.

I will be absolutely furious if this is how the draft works out for the patriots.

34. trent says:

There has been so much talk about the likelihood of picking a QB in the draft this year. Has anyone thought about the potential to trade for Mike Glennon? I think that would be a perfect fit:

(1) He has the physical traits that Belichick covets (obviously similar traits that Shiano likes too–which is why he drafted him)

(2) He has three years left on his rookie deal and would be a smooth transition from Mallett as a capable backup to develop on the sidelines.

(3) It would cost our 4th round pick at most. TB mgmt is looking to draft their guy, and may be looking to dump him. Compare that to the alternative–what QBs would be available at pick 130? Maybe we could trade a 6th and a future late pick for him.

Anyway, I think that trade has potential if TB ends up picking their QB of the future in RD1 or RD2. Surprised I haven’t seen anyone discuss it yet on Patriots sites. And if you have and I missed it–all the credit to you.

RD1-trade for mid-2 and mid-3

RD2– TE troy niklas ND
    RD2– OL marcus martin USC
    RD3– DE marcus smith LOU
    RD3– LB christian kirksey IOWA
    RD4– OL brandon thomas CLEM
    RD4C–DB antone exum VT
    RD6– TE blake annen CIN
    RD6– RB tyler gaffney STAN
    RD7– OT garrett scott MARSH

• trent says:

And before someone gets on me for not including DT in my mock….first, relax, it is just a mock, and second, in this scenario a lot of other needs get filled and NE can address DT in RD1 next year.

• Ryan says:

Trent: I much like you think DT is much less of a need opposed to other positions like: SAF, TE and possibly OL. Thus, I don’t think you require much justification as far as your prediction goes. We have quite a few in house options, and I personally feel BB would rather stop the run than rush from that particular position. I still think we are much better off today than we were with Ron Brace, et al.

35. acm says:

recently I half-jokingly made the prediction that Easley would soon be mocked in the 1st round and there it is. I think by draft day, the Pats would even be trading up from #29 for him. I don’t understand how people can pretend the many red flags about this player simply don’t exist. It’s as if the approach to analyzing Easley is rooted in the philosophy that if you ignore something long enough, it will eventually disappear on it’s own aka the “living in a bubble” approach to life.
    If BB indeed picks Easley any earlier than the 4th round, so recently after the Ras-I debacle, then he doesn’t deserve to win another SB in his career. Plain and simple. I sure hope he has at least two shakes of reason left in him to know better than this.
    If there is one thing the Pats need to improve on DL, it’s stopping the run – Wilfork is back only in name – and that’s one thing Easley will not do. In fact, Wilfork is the only player who could be paired with Easely on the current roster and his return to form, and return altogether, is a huge question mark.

Other than that, SS Bucannon is quite frankly the only player there I am really high on. He would be a good pick at 62 but something tells me BB won’t be willing to spend another early pick on SAF position after reaching for it twice in a row now. That WIlson pick at 48 may well continue hurting the Pats even two years later.

OLB M. Smith – good but not great prospect, who may be an unrealistic projection at end of 3rd round imo. Doesn’t have the tenacity and aggression of other similar players like Mack, Attaochu or Lawrence in this draft and that’s what the Pats could use more of on the roster. He is bound to be a LB in the NFL as he doesn’t have the right mentality or skills to be an on-the line OLB i.e. a DE at the NFL, hence why I am not as high on him. Pats need an alternative to Jones and Ninkovich and Smith aint it.

RB Williams – he is a straightliner of a RB, too much of it, I am afraid. And this is coming from a BC alumnus. Yes he is faster than he looks in open space but isn’t agile/dynamic enough and doesn’t cut/change direction that well. Doubt in the NFL he would get many of those straight, open lanes he was treated to in college. I am afraid he would not translate well to the NFL and would be a waste of a pick even in the 4th round. Would hope they can get a better RB even if a bit earlier in the draft or find someone else later on.

WR Coleman – a pick I can totally see BB make but hope he doesn’t even if the price in the 4th isn’t too high. Coleman has the size but lacks breakaway speed and even worse – he doesn’t leap often enough for the ball nor does he extend his hands to make the catch leaving it to hit him in his body. A combo like this greatly diminishes the effectiveness of his height as his effective catch radius is much, much smaller than one would hope for in a 6’6″ player. Height is the only thing Coleman has going for him and that is not gonna be enough in the NFL. Let’s put it this way – Coleman is no Plaxico Burress.
    And then the other issue – unless there are 2-3 injuries in summer camp to WRs, How does Coleman stick to the 53 men roster? A player like him is a project and not an immediate contributor. At this point, with so many WRs already on, you either pick a special player at WR in the 1st round or take a chance on one late in the draft where the price is low enough while the potential reward is still relatively high. Mid-round picks at WR make little sense to me.

RB M. Grice – agree that the Pats need another change of pace RB to help out Vereen in the passing game but not sure Grice is the way to go. SOme injury concerns there, which one probably don’t want in a back-up of a player with his own injury history. Also, Grice is very slow and too slender to survive life of running between the Ts in the NFL. He needs to bulk-up to be of any use there, which is only likely to make him even slower than he already is. All in all, as of right now, he would be only useful in the passing game i.e. would be one-dimensional player who’d have a hard time sticking on the roster.
    A better option here would be someone like LaDarius Perkins imo who has the bulk to go between the Ts and is still very Vereen like in the passing game. Not to mention he had one of the best performances at the combine. And Perkins is just one example here.

TE Gilmore – a good value pick here for a big-bodied, red zone target. Doubt one can hope for a better Y-TE in this portion of the draft where players like Niklas, CJF, A. Lynch would be long gone.

OL – Pamphile – an interesting player, good option for the 7th round. But most likely he is never heard of again after a year or two on the Pats IR aka the OL farm (like about a gazillion other OL-men drafted in the 5th-7th round range by the Pats over the past 10 or so years. Point is, he is not an immediate contributor and the OL needs a good deal of work otherwise there will not be even a half-decent running game for Mallett to work with after Brady gets split in half and IR-ed for lack of protection.
    And to make things worse, Dante S. is gone, so the times of turning run of the mill talent into NFL starters at OL may well be over. The two best players at OL – Mankins and Volmer – are gonna be 32 and 30 yo and have been playing thru injuries for a couple of years now with their effectiveness in jeopardy with every passing season. The starting RG is 32 yo too and not exactly a top notch player either, not to mention a prime candidate to become a cap casualty later in the pre-season. Need I say more.

All in all, not a fan to say the least. Besides the mind-boggling, monster risk of a pick at 29, this mock lacks in providing adequate improvement at the OL position – a major, major issue that doesn’t seem to garner much attention, at least not here.

Pass rush isn’t improved much either – considering Easely, provided he isn’t red-shirted to begin with, is more likely to be rehabbing his 3rd blown knee in 3 years than sacking Payton Manning next year. And pass rush isn’t M. Smith’s strongest suit either, at least not as an NFL level pass rusher. Could have taken say Aaron Lynch somewhere in the 4th-6th round range to try to fix that, instead of two RBs, both not very likely to produce much at the NFL.

And then there is the need for another LB late in the draft. You spend two picks on RB when LB depth is of greater need. Those two RBs are both one dimensional and that leads to poor allocation of resources – would be better to take one RB, who can be both a power RB and be part of the passing game too.

This mock is a major disappointment, to be perfectly honest, and I was a fan of your previous efforts (apart from the continuous pushing Easley further up the pecking order with every next mock).

• Sean says:

All you guys freaking out about Easley’s injuries really know nothing about sports medicine. Countless numbers of athletes suffer non-contact ACL injuries and their knees become stronger than ever after surgery and rehab. It’s true that some people have ligaments more prone to tearing than others… This is analogous to UCL injuries in pitchers and the subsequent Tommy John surgery they go through. However, the fact is that these ligaments are much less likely to tear again after surgery and rehab. When was the last time you heard about a player tearing an ACL that had already been surgically repaired? Probably never… Just because Easley happened to have an ACL injury in each knee does not make him much more risky than any of the other athletes who had just one ACL repair. If team doctors clear Easley and the pats spend a high pick on him, there is absolutely no reason you should claim to be more informed.

• acm says:

you know pretty much next to nothing about this so I wonder why you felt the need to make it obvious? A die-hard Gator fan, maybe?

There are a number of complications and after-effects from such surgeries. Even if ACL tears are no longer career ending injuries, the knee is no longer the same, let alone better off as you claim. There may well be chronic pain, loss of range of motion when extending the knee to the extreme, numbness and loss of sensitivity in the knee, knee swelling after overworking the knee, as well as a higher risk of reinjury. It’s not by chance pro athletes need a long time to truly come back to previous form long after being cleared by doctors to resume training.
        Also, in case of a re-injury, the second surgery is more complicated and less likely to be successful than the first one. So, a player with both of his knees already been reconstructed is a major, major risk in more than one aspect.

Your claim that a repaired knee is even better – stronger and less likely to get re-injured – lacks even basic logical consistency. When was the last time you heard a doctor RECOMMEND an NFL team go for a player with a history of ACL injury (or in Easley’s case, multiple ACL tears) over a player with no such issues? Don’t you think that if your claim was even remotely close to being true, teams would be purposefully seeking out players like Easley instead of turning them in mount Everest by sticking red flags in them? Think about it.
        What’s next- you are gonna tell me that players are excited to tear an ACL ’cause that would make them better and stronger in the long run? Or that tearing all 4 knee ligaments is better than tearing only one?

These are the more general issues with ACL injuries. Here are some others, specific to pro athletes and especially Easley’s case:

1) Even if his surgery went without complications, the fact that he had two such injuries in quick succession raises a lot of red flags about possible muscle imbalance in his legs and entire body even, or at the very least his playing style:
        – ACL tears are much more likely to happen in people with strong quads and weaker hamstrings, which is the nature of the imbalance.
        – Easley’s style is what makes him an interesting prospect to begin with. What if that style of play is simply unsustainable for his physique/body in the long run and in order for him to stay on the field, he may have to change the way he plays the game? What happens to his explosiveness and agility then? What if those were the reasons for those two injuries in the first place?

2) As mentioned above, and this is actually true and not an incompetent speculation like yours – repaired knees may suffer a multitude of long term, chronic issues such as swelling, pain, numbness in certain areas, as well as a higher risk of reinjury and more complicated, less likely to be successful 2nd surgery in case of such a reinjury.
        On top of all this, there is the psychological side of the story – players who have had one such injury, let alone two quick ones like Easley, need time to trust their body again and are usually a year or more away from playing the game the same way they did before e.g. why people expect Revis to be even better than last year. You think all that is shear coincidence? Just because you are cleared for training by the doctors, that doesn’t mean you will immediately be the same player – there are many physical and psychological details to the story that take time getting used to. Adrian peterson is the exception that proves the rule, not the rule itself.

Easley is in a much more precarious position than your average athlete out there who’s had only one ACL tear. With both his knees repaired and because of how close to one another the injuries were, he may well never be the same player again. At the very least, it will take a long time to get back to trusting his body on the field again. That would deprive him for quite some time from what made him an intriguing prospect in the first place – namely, his explosiveness and agility on the field.
        A 3rd injury, however, may well break his spirit for good, not to mention repeat surgeries on the same ligament are more complicated than the 1st one. That’s where the risk lies with players with multiple ACL tears – every next re-injury may well turn out to be one too many.

With two such injuries already on his resume in what, 2-2.5 years of college football, Easley’s back is against the wall when it comes to having room for any future reinjuries. If he were to blow a knee for the 3rd time, an NFL team may well decide to cut their losses and move away from him. That makes him a prospect whose NFL career’s longevity is in jeopardy before it’s even started. Does that sound like someone teams would be lining up to take in the 1st round of the draft?

3) Any team that drafts Easley is likely to want to be patient with him and red-shirt him for his rookie year. It’d be the normal and smart thing to do with a player with his injury history. Not unlike what the 9ers did with Lattimer last year.
        That basically means that he would not be an immediate contributor. Do you think the Pats can afford to spend a high pick, especially a 1st round one, on such a risky enterprise? As I have always said when it came to Easley – it’s one thing to spend a 3rd/4th rounder on him (like the 9ers with Lattimer, who’d have been a 1st rounder otehrwise), it’s a completely different story to throw all caution and common sense out the window and take him early. Players with the circumstances on Easley and Lattimer have value in the middle rounds, not in the 1st or 2nd even.

That’s the problem with Mike Loyko’s mock – that he takes Easley in the first round, not that he takes Easley in general. There are indeed reports that the Pats are looking at Easley but that doesn’t mean they are looking to go nuts on him at 29 – again, the value for a player in his shoes is in the 3rd/4th round range, not in the 1st. Just like RB Lattimer (who btw they looked at closely as well last year and there were big waves being made about the Pats looking to draft the SC prospect).

4) Something that is not related to the ACL injury history but adds to it in a negative way to make Easley a very unlikley early round pick for the Pats:

Easleay, unlike Lattimer, comes with off the field baggage too. That is only gonna make him even less likely to go early. And do I really need to connect the dots for you when it comes to prospects with character concerns/off field issues from Florida? Do I need to tell you what would be first on the Pats’ brass’ mind when it comes to such a “perfect” mix of circumstances? I am not saying Easley is the next Aaron Hernandez but the terms “off field red flags” and “Florida” would likely result in creating unfavorable associations.

Still think the Pats would be lining up to pick Easley at 29?

• Sean says:

Sorry to make your essay go to waste, but you grossly misinterpreted my comments and then jumped to your own inaccurate conclusions. You seem to think I said the surgery alone makes people with ACL tears have stronger knees than people with no ACL injury, which is obviously wrong in multiple ways. First, you’re comparing apples to oranges. I never even came close to saying teams should seek out players with a history of ACL injuries over players with no history of such an injury. What I actually said is that many athletes who happen to suffer ACL injuries and undergo surgery AND REHAB will come back stronger than they were before. The intensive rehab that athletes work through is crucial to the recovery process. While the surgery itself does an excellent job of repairing the ligament, the rehab is what will correct muscular imbalances and prevent the long term complications which you apparently think all of these patients are guaranteed to suffer from for the rest of their lives. Decreased range of motion (particularly with knee extension), numbness, pain, and swelling are all much less likely to be present long term when the patient immediately starts physical therapy and stays committed to it. Just because someone has some of those symptoms 5 days after surgery doesn’t mean they will have them 5 years later. If you were to undergo ACL reconstruction, you’d probably be much more likely to suffer these complications than a professional athlete who goes to therapy every day with top notch training staff and facilities. You were right in saying that a re-injury to the repaired knee presents a more complicated scenario with a much worse prognosis – but the re-injury rate is less than 6% and that stat includes amateur athletes and non-athletes. Yes, a re-injury for Easley could be devastating but that is the case for any player who’s had ACL surgery. And yes, the fact that Easley has a history with both knees increases the concern, but the debate is how much more so. Many experts think he’ll be drafted by the middle of the 2nd round – if everyone else is as concerned about his knees as you are, then why such lofty draft stock? And why are people here that much more concerned about picking him at 29 as opposed to 40? He recently worked out for teams – I’m guessing he wouldn’t have done so if he couldn’t display some of the explosiveness he’s shown in the past. Being explosive in a workout is different than in a football game, but if he is capable of it now then I’m not so sure about your prediction that he will need to redshirt his rookie year. Finally, Marcus Lattimore had one of the most gruesome knee injuries I’ve seen and is not a good comparison to Easley.

36. Jim R says:

Everybody has different ways that they would like to see the Pats go, I prefer the D getting playmakers. Easley may make a difference on the line. The knee issues are a concern. Bucannon is a starter from day 1, love the way he plays. LB is a real need, I think rounds 3-4 you can add some depth.
    I think you can add some oline depth rounds 4-7 and UDFA’s as well as the running back position. A tall wr and another tall TE will help red zone offense. Thanks for not putting a QB on this mock

37. Trev says:

I’m going to throw my remote through the TV if they spend their 1st Rounder on a guy with TWO rebuilt knees! Awful. Also, it’s spelled WAZZU. And yes, Deone is a stud. I hope they draft him. The rest of the draft after Easly looks good.

38. menelvagor says:

first pick remind me Dowling’s pick too risky

• Dylan.C says:

I’d say even riskier than Dowling. Apparently he impressed at his pro day and his film is exciting, but the first round is a huge gamble. Second would be a big gamble also but at-least the odds aren’t as high.

39. JB says:

Agree that Pats go after DE in 1st. Let’s hope lots of QB’s & WR’s come off the board so they get the best possible DE here.

But I just can’t see them going after 2 RB’s or any WR. They don’t need 2 RB unless someone is getting cut or traded, and maybe they go after a WR after the draft like Thompkins last year for some depth – but they have 8 guys on the roster now.

With all the QB visits they’ve had and links to Tom Savage (Pitt QB), how do you not see them taking a QB? I would guess 3rd round for a QB, 4th the latest. Why would the Pats use so many visits if they weren’t highly interested?

40. Matty says:

Terrible first pick; way too risky. Shazier, Ford, Ealy, Mosley; if they’re gone, best available DE, or any elite player left, except QB or RB. Of course Easley could work out great, but the risk is too high for round 1. Probably available in round 2 anyway.