2014 NFL Draft: New England Patriots Hypothetical Draft Board

Which players will the Patriots be choosing from come next week?

NEPD Editor: Mike Loyko

In the weeks leading up to the NFL Draft the terms “value” and “draft board” get thrown around often. During the draft each team tries to maximize their picks, by selecting the player with the most value. For instance is the 2nd best Guard, more valuable than the 7th best Receiver? These are decisions the Patriots and every other team will make next week. In this post I set up a horizontal draft board to give readers an idea of potential Patriots draft targets by round and position.

2014 New England Patriots Hypothetical Draft Board

*Players in each square are in no particular order
*** Some of the formatting did not translate from Google Docs, here is the link to the actual chart.. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RXSyKY7UhHDMJSNxaHWMAyhQyrthERzDNP3OiFgst4M/edit?usp=sharing

Some players on this board will not be on the Patriots actual board. This is to give readers an idea of positional value and what players could be available for the Patriots to choose from in each round.

Tags: 2014 NFL Draft, Patriots

48 Responses to “2014 NFL Draft: New England Patriots Hypothetical Draft Board”

1. Dustin says:

Not saying this is who they will pick but if i had to choose by position by who i think that could have a chance drafting

Qb- tom savage or aj mccarron
    Rb- andre williams or tre mason
    Te- jace amaro or troy niklas
    Wr- odell beckham jr, allen robinson or mike evans

2. Jacob says:

There are some very astute comments here. My take on this is that the Patriots have generally drafted under BB the best player available in round 1. That is why the vast majority of their first round picks have panned out. I think we would all agree that the drafting in the 2nd and 3rd rounds for the most part has been abysmal. We don’t really need to hear the names again but here are a few Dowling, Brace, Butler, Wilson, Wheatley, Crable, O’Connell, etc. This year the Pats are seemingly all in. I think that their strategy might be draft the best player available at a position of need. If they do here is my mock draft:

1)-Kelvin Benjamin WR/Florida State (at 6’5″ and 240 Lbs an AH Clone)
    2)-Deone Buchanan S/Washington State
    3)-Billy Turner OG/North Dakota State
    4)-Crockett Gillette TE/Colorado State
    4)-Morgan Breslin LB/USC
    6)-Tre Mason RB/Auburn
    7)-Michael Sam DE/LB Missouri

3. steve earle says:

A thought that has me wondering is has anyone heard that Belichick is at all unhappy with Mallett? I know I’ve questioned what he would bring in trade but recently begun to wonder why. We have seen very little of him in preseason games but BB sees him all year round so if there was some discontent I’d think some rumblings would have slipped out. Thus it may be that Bill views him as his next starter, who knows? If not I wouldn’t expect a trade until after the season starts and when some teams starter goes down and out for the season, that would be when he would bring the greatest returns I think. Still I would not be shocked if he was signed to a new contract before he becomes a FA either.

4. John says:

First of all, I would not be surprised in the least if Easley was taken with their pick at 29. Belichick has taken often injured players early in draft before, like Dowling, Gronk, etc., so I could see him doing it again. I’m not saying I agree, or even disagree, but I think it’s completely realistic.

Also, judging by need and the length of the contracts signed by some of the veterans this offseason, you gotta think the defensive line, tight end, and secondary positions are all going to be addressed early.

Could like to see this happening..

1st) Jimmie Ward or Easley
    2nd) Niklas, Amaro or whatever tight end is available
    3rd) Dakota Dozier
    4th) Marcus Smith
    4th) Bruce Ellington
    6th) Wesley Johnson
    6th) Austin Wentworth
    7th) Probably a corner

• John says:

there isn’t suppose to be a like there, just a could

• Jeff M says:

While you are correct that Bill hasn’t shied away from players with injury history like Dowling and Gronk, you failed to mention that both of those were SECOND round picks. The Pats during Bills tenure, have NEVER drafted a guy in the 1st with that kind of injury history. Easley has played ONE year in College basically and was there for FOUR…
      I’m not saying Bill absolutely will not take him…just that he’s not taking him at 29.

5. BAMNATION says:

Would like to see the Pats trade 29th pick w Houston for the 2nd round 1st pick.

if not then (based on your list):
    1. OL Su’a-Filo
    2. LB Van Noy
    3. QB McCarron
    4a. RB Seastrunk
    4b. WR Coleman
    6a. OL W Johnson
    6b. LB Skov
    7 DE/OLB Sam

• Jack says:

I’d be good with OL Su’a-Filo in the first. Gotta protect the QB. I like the McCarron pick, too.

6. PSW says:

My idea/hope;

trade 1st rounder for early 2nd and 3rd, as much as we might want one we cant expect another Minessota type haul.
    2a. Deone Bucannon SS
    2b. DaQuan Jones DT
    3a. Christian Kirksy OLB
    3b. CJ Fiedorwicz TE
    4a. Trafis Swanson C
    4b. Arthur Lynch TE
    6a,6b,7- I just dont know the guys this far down well enough to pick guys out hopefully one or two offensive linemen and a running back

• Jack says:

Baldinger (or whatever his name is, nickname “Baldy”) was raving about Bucannon, thinks he’ll be the best safety out of the draft. Reiss likes Jones, he played for O’Brien and might be available there. He (Mike Reiss) also likes CJ Fiedorwicz. How much does it s*ck that BB reached for safety twice in Wilson and Harmon and whiffed both times? Gotta go with the highest ranked, regardless of position.

• Ken W says:

I agree that Wilson was a bust but it is way to early to call Harmon a bust. I think after this year if he ends up the starter or not, it would be fair to judge if he can be a player. Don’t just call him a bust because he wasn’t a day one starter. I think he did a pretty good job in the time he got last year.

• Jack says:

No, you’re right. I’m just venting a little bit. Harmon is more defensible than Wilson, for sure. But even if he’s not a bust, my perception is that he could’ve been gotten later.

• Ken W says:

Yah, he most likely could have been picked a round or two later. I think it will be telling what the Pats do in the draft. If they take a safety in the three rounds then they don’t project Harmon as a starter and if they don’t they they feel Harmon or maybe Ryan can hold down the spot. Less then a week to find out.

• Dylan.C says:

Throw in Kevin Pierre- Luis and or Tyler Gaffney in the late rounds and I would be pretty happy with this.

7. big w says:

This year is a need year depth at linebacker a new center and a true ss safety no fooling around get 3 or 4 true starters and depth.

8. Joe Blake says:

We have enough bionic men at the DT position… Reconstruction central! Forget about drafting another in Ealey…

I’m sorry guys but A.J. McCarron is grossly under valued, he is of the board by #42. I like him to the Patriots at #29. My Patriots draft looks like;
    QB A.J.McCarron
    LB/SS Tevlin Smith
    TE Arthur Lynch
    RB Tyler Gaffney
    WR Jeff Janis
    LB Avery Williams
    CB Aaron Colvin
    DT Zac Kerr

• Bill Vermont says:

I just can’t see that happening at all. That would effectively mean no contribution from the draft until pick 62. Patriots need more talent. A lot more. I can’t see them looking beyond Brady in 1st Round

I know people use the comparison that Green Bay picked Aaron Rodgers 3 years before they needed him, but I think they really fell into that and Rogers was expected to go 1 or 2 in 2005. It could be said he was a much better rated prospect than McCarron. And Green Bay went 4-12 the year they took him. Ready for that kind of year? Favre was a very good QB , but he was a boom or bust kind of guy and maybe GB didn’t think it had to wait 3 years.

• RMillette says:

I’m with Bill, not only do I not see the Patriots picking McCarron at 29, without an early run on QB’s, I really don’t see him going before the late second, and thats being optimistic on his draft chances.

• Daniel R. Martin says:

I’d honestly cry if we drafted these players. This would be a horrible draft.

• Ben D says:

This draft would make my soul hurt….

• Jack says:

Agreed. I’m just a casual draft fan, but still – McCarron at 29? Now if it were Bridgewater at 29, I might think about it because I think his bad pro day has him badly undervalued. A January mock I just looked at had him going #1 overall, which shows how much his pro day impacted his value. I heard, read he didn’t have time to train for it, was unfamiliar w/ the receivers, stuff like that. It could make him a real steal.

I didn’t even recognize any of the other guys names – that’s probably my bad, but still, give a guy some hope.

• acm says:

lol at everyone’s reaction. hope you guys won’t be back in a week’s time looking at this mock with fond memories. Can easily see BB doing this to the fans.

• munchkin says:

You need to get some sleep.
        Maybe we all do. This two week delay is turning us all into products of the great LSD experiments of the sixties. I lived through it; I’ve seen the signs before.

I really do not like this mock Russell. Can’t see McCarron even at #61 for us let alone #29. Your right I would be really surprised, really, really surprised if the guy turns out to be more then just an average to good backup. Rest of your mock gives me no hope for team improvement. Hope your not right.

10. Patriot Paul in the ATL says:

if we take a RB or QB with our top 4 picks I’ll be shocked and disappointed. I’d like to see not one but two of the 5 top TE’s come to us. TE, DE, TE, LB please BB. No need for a DT yet.

• Jack says:

I agree that DT is overrated as a need, but interior OL should be added to the list. Also, RB could be a steal if a good one falls. It’s become an under-valued position, but wouldn’t it be nice to have a Curtis
      Martin? Especially give Ridley’s ball-control issues, Vereen’s fragility, the fact their both in contract years, the loss of Blount and the fact that that the OL couldn’t do anything with Denver’s DL anyway. An RB who can make a 3-yard gain out of nothing is worth his weight.

11. JB says:

Question for the Editor:
    Why is my boy Travis Swanson getting no love? He has the best size of the top centers and for my money is the best run blocker. I think Richburg fits the pats MO at center more (6’3 290-300lbs. w good movement skills), but to me Swanson is every bit as mobile and performed well against better competition. Martin from USC is not bad either but lacks the mobility the other two have.

Well JB you and I are of the same mind. I watched Swanson on TV ( couldn’t make games) and what I saw was a strong, agile run blocker coming off double teams with the center and getting blocks at the second level consistently. He made it look effortlessly because of his quick feet. Now if that can’t translate into pass blocking, which he is no slouch at, I’ll eat my hat. Glad to hear from a like mind.

• Ken W says:

I’m a fan of Travis Swanson also. I have thought getting him in the 4th would be a steal and the more I see of him the more I think we would have to pick him in the 3rd. Unfortunately I think the third is also a great spot for the Pats to get a LB.

• Jack says:

Sound good to me. It would fill a screaming need for the Pats, and not even a 1st/2nd rounder. Move Canon to guard (at least until Vollmer gets hurt) and you’ve got a respectable OL going on, all of a sudden.

12. AM says:

If Bridgewater should happen to fall to #29, I wouldn’t hesitate to pick him. The team has few holes with eight picks in a deep draft, and it’s highly likely he would be the best player available at that spot. Besides which, the team will need depth at QB next year in any event–why not pick a major talent with the potential to be Brady’s successor?

• Jack says:

I agree about Bridgewater being undervalued – he was rated a #1 overall in mocks as recently as January. He’s still the same player. It would be huge value pick.

Bridgewater at #29 is highly unlikely.

13. Jim R says:

Mike, when you hear teams say they are true to their “draft boards” how does that really work? here is a scenario The Pats are up in the 3RD round CJ Fiedorowicz and Deone bucannon are both available. What would be the determining factor in picking the TE over the Safety with a second round grade? Or would the take the higher rated player?

• Jack says:

Unless they’re very close, you have to go with the higher rated player, especially since they are both in a position of need. If a guy is sticking out like a sore thumb in terms of value, you *must* take him, even if you think you’re set at the position (e.g. QB, CB, WR for the Pats).

14. J H TARBORO says:

Mike, nice job and good breakdown.

15. Jim R says:

4a DFreeman RB
      4b Christian Jones OLB
      6a Khyrie Thornton DT
      6b Lonnie Ballantine SS
      7 Donald Hopkins OT

16. sco508 says:

Once again i shake my head at most of these Mocks …. and seeing that i got my pick right last year AKA Aaron Dobson Marsh WR. in last years Draft .

I’m going to lay down the Law right now !

1st. Trade out unless theirs someone their that makes to much since don,t be surprized if it’s Joel Bitono OT/OG or Kony Ealy / Demarcus Lawrence DE /OLB

BB loves his Moving Parts and my surprize move is him taking Jimmy Garapplo and holding him hostage for better picks IE Eli Manning / Drew brees linda deal for top 2nd rd picks !

Sure that’s one year in a row, right? Holding Jimmy G hostage? Could backfire big time Jimmy G is not real hot properity.

17. Dan Sullivan says:

Patriot Predictions

1 Trade for 2,3 and 5th round picks.
    2 Deone Bucannon SS Washington St.
    2 Kyle Van Noy OLB BYU
    3 C.J. Fiedorowicz TE Iowa
    3 Deandre Coleman DL California
    4 A.J. McCarron QB Alabama
    4 Brandon Coleman WR Rutgers
    5 Morgan Breslin LB USC
    6 Jerick McKinnon RB Georgia Southern
    6 Storm Johnson RB Central Florida
    7 Rob Blanchflower TE Massachusetts

• JB says:

This mock makes sense as the pats would be acquiring solid players around their expected value at areas of need. I really like the first three picks. I really expect the patriots to trade up if one of the two top safeties falls or possibly if ebron falls. I could also see the pats trading down for future picks. I think the trade up or future picks makes sense b/c it is going to be extremely difficult for later round rookies to make this roster. In looking at any potential pick the real questions have to be “Does this guy improve the team/ Is this guy an upgrade or future upgrade from what we already have?”
      Example: A lot of people are mocking easley to the pats with their first or second pick (an undersized but versatile 3/5 tech). My question is does he represent an upgrade from Chris Jones/Armstead? I know that Armstead is still a mystery but Jones has proven solid if not spectacular. We also have vince and kelly for at least this year.
      Another factor to consider is the guys the Pats already have in the pipeline. Buchanan may see the field more as the 3rd DE after a year to learn. He has all the physical tools just needs to learn how to read blocks better (He got logged/high walled a lot last year, causing him to lose contain and leading to BB’s doghouse).
      Braxton Cave and Josh Kline could compete to oust either Wendell or Connoly. Also Marcus Cannon could make a run at that right guard as he has the size and showed fairly well at tackle last year.
      I dont think any of the depth LB’s are any good so that could lead to a surprisingly high pick there. Pats are one injury away from having to drop nink back to LB or put in the young kid from routers (Bernhauis?)
      All in all those top three picks would give the pats much needed competition at SS, a guy who could play olb or a sub package de, and a solid heath miller style tight end. I like it.

18. Robert Geiber says:

I like David Fables too if they need a backup QB.

19. Robert Geiber says:

Great start. Cody Larimer on their radar at all, or are these specific targets?

20. Asap says:

wow you guys are good….wish the position column was locked so it moves when you scroll