2014 Senior Bowl Wrap-Up: Mock Draft, Rankings, All-Senior Bowl Team

Notre Dame OT Zack Martin ends Senior Bowl week as the Top Prospect.

NEPD Editor: Mike Loyko

At the beginning of the week I put together my list of the top 32 Senior Bowl prospects of 2014, now that the game is officially behind us it’s time to re-evaluate the list and see whose risen or fallen. Also, included in this post are my picks for the 2014 All-Senior Bowl teams and a few other notes as we put this part of the draft process behind us. Now it’s on to the combine.

2014 Senior Bowl Top Prospect List

27. DaQuan Jones, DT, Penn State

28. Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State

29. Billy Turner, OL, North Dakota State

30. Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood

31. Weston Richburg, OC, Colorado State

32. Jared Abbrederis, WR, Wisconsin

** Aaron Colvin would make the list easily if not for his injury

Under the Radar Players who Helped Their Stock (No order):

RB: Charles Sims, West Virginia
WR: Kevin Norwood, Alabama
WR: Josh Huff, Oregon
WR: Robert Herron, Wyoming
TE: CJ Fiedorowicz, Iowa
OT: Zach Martin, Notre Dame
OG: Gabe Jackson, Miss. St.
OC: Weston Richburg, Colorado State

WR: Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt
WR: Kain Colter, Northwestern
TE: Crockett Gillmore, Colorado State
OT: Brandon Thomas, Clemson
OG: Jon Halapio, Florida
OC: Travis Swanson, Arkansas
OG: Brandon Linder, Miami(FL)
OT: Seantrel Henderson, Miami(FL)

2nd Team Defense

28) Carolina Panthers – Jared Abbrederis, WR, Wisconsin
29) New England Patriots – Christian Jones, LB, Florida State
30) San Francisco 49ers – Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood
31) Denver Broncos – Weston Richburg, OC, Colorado State
32) Seattle Seahawks – Caraun Reid, DT, Princeton

Tags: 2014 NFL Draft, 2014 Senior Bowl, Aaron Donald, Zack Martin

32 Responses to “2014 Senior Bowl Wrap-Up: Mock Draft, Rankings, All-Senior Bowl Team”

1. J H TARBORO says:

The best value for large receivers may be the 7th round and a UDFA, i have 2 in mind. Both played in the SEC for Mizzou and was part of the tri-power trio WRs L’ damian Washington 6’4 205 and Marcus Lucas 6’5 220. The 3rd receiver is sill in school Dorial Green-Beckham 6’6 235lbs

2. Til says:

Herron’s hands were very up and down. Also noticed he doesn’t like contact. He is a burner but a 5’8″ guy needs to be more about hands and catches in traffic.

• J H TARBORO says:

Til, that’s not completely true, watch his games tape.

• Wouldn’t want a guy Herron’s size that looked for contact but that is the problem with little players. If they get the ball in the open they can be terrors though. All depends at where they could be drafted imo.

3. Tom says:

Patriots need a te of course and interior pass rush. I would also draft a big wr. I hope amaro will be there because he is a beast. Ebron will be gone. I would like the patriots to draft two tight ends. I really hope that the pats wr dobson boyce and thompkins take a big leap in year 2 in the patriots offense. Get rid of amendola and spikes. Resign edelman and talib.

• J H TARBORO says:

WR Kelvin Benjamin FSU 6’5 235lbs.

• Daniel R. Martin says:

I believe Benjamin has a 1st round grade, which puts him out of reach. Brandon Coleman (6′-06″ in the 3rd-4th represents far greater value. This is, of course, simply my opinion.

• J H TARBORO says:

It’s January, plus I like Benjamin better as a pass catcher. Dan, these mocks will keep changing especially during pro days and the combine. I use some of these early ratings as guidelines, not the gospel.

• J H TARBORO says:

It’s January, use the ranking as guideline, not the gospel. Brandon Coleman is a good reciever but no more Rutgers!

FYI, I never “hacked” anything, I just created a different account with the same username. The email I gave is fake.

And don’t kid yourself Russell. I didn’t copy you because you are an easy target, I did so because your comments make me wonder if you know anything about football.

• acm says:

good, ’cause the term “hacking” actually gives you way too much credit for your juvenile and pathetic actions.
      I myself often disagree with the other Russell but that doesn’t mean I have to disrespect him for the difference in our opinions (mind the key difference here between “opinion” and “fact”).
      You could have gone down the same road and respectfully disagreed with him, which would have earned you the respect of others too. Instead you chose to act like a pathetic, childish clown in dire need of a life.

The way the comment section is right now would be perfectly fine if everybody was acting like grown ups of at least average intelligence should. It’s the actions of idiots like you that may eventually push the admin(s) to go for an upgrade in security.

5. YodasLlama says:

Patriots 7th Round Mock Draft
    7th Round Comp pick for Woodhead included in this mock but may not be given

1. Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State
    Bill O’Brien connection. Would give New England Three talented outside receivers to pair with the plethora of slot receivers New England has. Robinson is a great route runner and has tons of potential. Would not be surprised if New England trades out of this pick though.

2. Cyril Richardson, G/OT, Baylor
    Big Body guard who could play RT if necessary. This would allow New England to slide Connolly to C.

3. C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa
    Gronk clone but less talented. Fiedorowicz could fill in for Gronk until he returns and then give Brady two tall talented TEs to throw too. If New England keeps Hoomanawanui as the blocking TE that would give them more depth at this position.

4. Ben Gardner, DE, Stanford
    Ninkovich and Jones are a good tandem at DE, and Buchannon has potential but they need another talented DE to complete the rotation. Gardner is a good player and would be best suited backing up Jones until he play more snaps, would not be surprised if starts a few games at DE. Would be a steal at this point.

6(Phi). Logan Thomas, QB, Virginia Tech
    I would not be surprised if New England trades Mallet before or after the draft as he is a free agent next year and may try to sign somewhere where he can start. Thomas is raw but extremely talented and reminds me of a less polished Kapernick. He could be the Patriots QB of the future.

6. Jaylen Watkins, CB, Florida
    Not as talented as the other two Florida corners but smart and well liked in the locker room. I expect Talib to resign with New England and Watkins wont replace Dennard or Ryan who are both good CBs, however having a good fourth corner is not a bad thing in todays NFL, especially one who could end up being a valuable contributor.

7. Tevin McDonald, S, Eastern Washington
    Talented but has had a troubled past. McDonald is a perfect Patriots pick in the seventh round as he could have the same impact that Dennard had his rookie season as long as he stays focused on the team. I expect both Wilsons to be cut this offseason and Harmon looked good but there is a chance that McCourty does not sign an extension, finding a replacement would be wise just in case.

7(Comp). Tyler Larsen, C, Utah State
    A project who will probably be on the practice squad if the Patriots resign Wendell for the vet minimum. However he is a good fit and could surprise a lot of people.

Projected Depth Chart

ROLB: Collins, Fletcher

CB1: Talib, Ryan
    CB2: Dennard, Watkins*
    NCB: Arrington

FS: McCourty, McDonald*
    SS: Harmon, Gregory

• Not excited about these selections. A WR in the 1st is a want not a need. We should give the kids we have a chance to improve in their 2nd year. Logan Thomas was the worst of a poor bunch at the Sr. Bowl including pratices. Cyril Richardson was man handled by several D-linemen, did not preform well. There are plenty of linemen this year we don’t have to reach or take risks. And lets not resign Windell, lets draft Swanson, Richberg or Stork for OC, any one of these guys have a much higher upside then Windell. Again Gardner is a want butat this 4th I’d say okay though I’d rather a SS or CB. Given what we currently know this makes the most sense to me right now.

• Tom says:

I dont like Fiedorowicz. The patriots need a move tight end amaro would be a better choice if he there. I hope the patriots draft two tight ends, a wr, de/de, and a safety who can take the job of steve gregory

• carlo strada says:

TE pretty thin depth. For what weve learned this year (with all our TE banged up, and just below average people fillin in), i think that pats are double dipping there, and maybe trying to sign anybody else at FA, maybe scott chandler or cumberland. Gronk is no more a guarantee of health, so yes, i see the 2 dipping here, personally id like Seferian or Niklas on the 2nd round and Lynch on the final 3rd/early 4th. I wouldn mind also give a shot to Lyerla on laters.

6. Bill Spalding says:

Really, getting back to the draft. It seems to me the Patriots could really use a SS. Is that a position that Ryan Shazier or Telvin Smith can play. They both are described as fast, fluid LB, but is that SS material. I would think in the wide open NFL, that hybrid LB/SS would bea perfect fit as a 3 down football player

• Henry says:

Shazier is a LB, no doubt about that. Smith could be a safety I guess but it would be better to go with a guy like Jimmie Ward instead. Duron Harmon played well last year so we don’t really need a starter.

• Harmon played fair this past season and given he was a rookie he may make a 2nd year jump but we are still soft at both safety slots after McCourty imo.

7. Bill Spalding says:

In real life I am who I say I am. This Senior Bowl discussion week has been very interesting, and given the 4-6 serious needs that the Pats have after years of drafting so late and the repeated picks of non performing DBs, 2014 is very critical and it will be fun to watch it unfold.
    Thanks to this site for providing the forum. It was interesting to hear BB was in Mobile 2 days
    After the Bronco game. Season never ends, does it?

Glad the hacker is having fun mocking my comments, small minds need very little to keep them amused. I’ts a good thing the hacker knows so little about football, as his statements refleck his inabilitiy to make sound comments.

9. J H TARBORO says:

Mike Loyko, very good Senior Bowl list, after watching 3 scouting bowl in the last 2 weeks, i must say that Senior Bowl this year wasn’t the strongest group that i watched, the underclassmen wins. I know it’s only January, but before anyone starts putting grades on individual players, they should go back and watch all 3 bowls again and your outlook my be quite different. It’s been hard for me to do any mock drafts lately because there’s so much talent in draft and i’m not a person that picks guy that fits a prototype or picks someone because the general consensus likes him, i like good football players. Mike, your mocks have given me some very good ideas, thank you!

I’d like to clear a few things up. My intentions regarding my actions of the past few days were twofold.

1) To show the lack of organization in the comments section here. It is easy to have the same username as others. This would be prevented if this site switched to a more advanced comment system like livefire. This will also help grow our relatively small community.

2) To point out my personal distaste for Mr. Easterbrooks comments. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but he is so misguided, even the usually polite Mr. Loyko was critical on the previous article of his mock draft. I want to advise you, Mr. Easterbrooks, to make intelligent conversation. Just take a minute before you post to think if what you post makes sense. I have faith in you.

Thank you all for participating in my little experiment. To avoid confusion, please refer to me as QZ from now on. If I post here after today/tommorrow, it will probably be under a different name.

-QZ

• Mike Loyko says:

Thanks for the Suggestions. I really don’t spend much time vetting the comments, but I will run the suggestions by James.

• Alex (freemanator) says:

Thanks.

I’d suggest Disqus too. Either would be better, but Disqus seems better on the whole.

• We are not talking national security or personal medical privacy here so I fail to see why QZ felt the need to follow the route he did just because he didn’t agree with Russell Easterbrooks posts. As for site security is there really some compelling reason it’s needed? I’m not buying QZ’s excuse for being rude and very adolescent, he did it for personal gradifaction just to shoe himself how clever he is.