2014 NFL Draft: All Potential Second Team Offense

Marcus Mariota struggled in a loss to Stanford, but the potential for greatness scouts loved in him is still there (Photo: US Presswire)

By Marc Sluis, Staff Writer

Potential can be a like a mirage. An illusion that mystifies and intrigues but often leaves us with nothing. So is it purely a show to distract us from the prospects’ real value? Maybe, but isn’t it fun? Rarely does an elite athlete clearly also possess all the necessary intangibles to be great.

Here is your Second Team Offense

QB Marcus Mariota, Oregon
6’4 211

Oregon’s lighting quick and incredibly explosive offense has produced a lot of talent and flashy statistics. Mariota was a lightly recruited prospect out of Hawaii but might be the best offensive prospect to come out of Eugene. He has a rocket arm, the height that scouts look for and elite speed for the position. Put him in the right offense, say Chip Kelly’s, and he could develop into a true star. As evidenced by the Stanford game where he was hobbled by an MCL sprain, he needs to evolve into a consistent pocket passer.

RB Michael Dyer, Louisville
5’9 210

It’s not surprising on a list like this to see players that have dealt with off field issues or failed to live up to the hype. Dyer was stellar as the lead back of the BCS Champion Auburn Tigers and led the SEC in rushing for the running back position. Showing a rare blend of size, speed and vision he pounded elite SEC defenses and looked like a first round lock. Then came the trouble.

After leaving Auburn, he joined former offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn at Arkansas St. before another early exit. Drugs and weapons charges were to blame for him bouncing from Auburn to Arkansas St to Arkansas Baptist where he focused on academics, and finally to Louisville. When scouts and GMs consider Dyer they will be focusing as much on his maturity level as his talent level. The latter is well known. In the end he’s a first round talent who will likely go on day three due to his past and decreasing value of running back prospects.

WR Brandon Coleman, Rutgers
6’6 220

Coleman has been on my watch list for a while, and its easy to see why. At 6’6 Coleman has rare size for the receiver position, yet is a very fluid athlete with good long speed. Coleman isn’t a burner, but does have to be. With his size, soft hands and athleticism he is an instant match up nightmare even in the NFL. If he can refine his route running enough to create even the slightest of space, that towering frame and ability to high point the ball will prove to be truly potent weapon.

6’6 fluid athletes don’t grow on trees, and Coleman’s skill set is highly valued. A rational upside is the mid first round with an early round two selection more probable.

WR Kelvin Benjamin, Florida St.
6’5 235

The Seminole has the size to bully corners and the athleticism and body control to compete at a high level as a receiver. He’s actually more similar to the size of a tight end, but when you can move like he does and high point the football there isn’t much corners can do to stop him. Benjamin shows an innate ability to track the ball in the air and then, while using that frame, extend and snatch the ball over the helpless defender.

WR L’Damian Washington, Missouri
6’4 205

This Mizzou Tiger is a classic high potential prospect. Washington is tall and fast with a long lanky frame that has plenty of room for muscle. He runs a 4.39 at 6’4! That in and of itself is enough to make the list. He absolutely needs to get better in almost every aspect, and at this point lacks the awareness and natural instincts for the position. But remember this is all about potential and he’s oozing with it.

TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington

6’6 266

With the frame and strength of a defensive lineman yet the athleticism of a receiver the (former) two sport star is truly scary for anyone to matchup against. He could become the first legitimately dominant duel threat tight end since the Gronk as his upside as a blocker is just as big as his receiving ability.

Good luck covering this guy in the red zone with anyone expect maybe Dwight Howard and defensive backs seeing this guy barreling toward them might simply get out of the way. Either way, this guy has the talent to be one of the best in the entire NFL.

OT Cameron Erving, FSU
6’6 310

Last year it was Menelik Watson who was the Seminole to soar late in the process and ultimately go to the Raiders in round two. This year Cameron Erving might even out do his former line mate as the first round isn’t out of the question.

It isn’t often you see an offensive lineman so light on his feet, but Erving is an effortless mover who looks to be the type of athlete scouts love in a left tackle. Athletes of Erving’s size are so uncommon he could realistically go anywhere from the third round to the top half of round one, depending on the team picking.

OG Tre Jackson, FSU
6’4 328

Another FSU product, Jackson was able to impress as a sophomore ultimately earning All ACC Second Team Honors. If Jackson can continue his development he could join Erving as a day two candidate. He has the bulk, strength, length and athleticism that very few other guard prospects can boast. While a very solid prospect he is looking up at Cyril Richardson, Gabe Jackson and David Yankey at the guard position.

OC Hroniss Grasu, Oregon

6’3 294

As Chip Kelly leads the up tempo zone blocking revolution in the NFL his former center at Eugene will be ideally suited to follow his coach’s success to the pros. Grasu has the foot speed, agility and endurance to handle such a demanding system, but also the skills to succeed in almost any system especially as a pass blocker. I’ve seen Grasu anywhere from the top center prospect to the third or fourth. Round 3 to 4 likely with round 2 upside.

OG Xavier Sua-Filo, UCLA
6’4 305

As he said himself there aren’t many 6’5 300 Mormons out there. Su’a-Filo spent two years on an LDS mission after already staring as a true freshman for the Bruins. Upon returning to the Bruins he looks poised to once again impress in Pac-12 circles as well as the NFL draft community.

Having played left tackle as a freshman we already know he has the athleticism to be one of the most agile interior linemen, and his 305 pound frame also speaks to his ability to anchor inside. Much like Tre Jackson he will fall just below the upper tier of guard prospects but has a little more upside to possibly work his way into that category with time.

OT Taylor Lewan, Michigan
6’8 309

While he almost certainly passed up a first round selection to return to Ann Arbor, Lewan could push his way into the top ten discussion. In fact, he already has according to a number of draft sources. Lewan is massive at 6’8 yet has quick feet to backpedal effectively and is a force in the running game. If he can work on technique and sustaining his blocks, he has the tools to be an elite tackle prospect. Most evaluators seem to put him in the top half of round one, but I need to see more consistency.

Tags: 2014 NFL Draft, all potential team, kelvin benjamin, l'damian washington, tre jackson

27 Responses to “2014 NFL Draft: All Potential Second Team Offense”

1. Russell Easterbrooks says:

OK;I’ve adjusted my Mock again this week to a group I feel good about;

1st- CB Kyle Fuller
    2nd- LB Shayne Skov
    3d- TE Jacob Patersen
    4th- QB Jeff Mathews
    6th- OG Spencer Long- (injured or 2nd round guy)
    6th- RB James White
    7th- (Player of Value/need) CB/S Antone Exum (injured or 2nd round guy)

• Here I am again. This is a draft I’d be very comfortable with too Russell but as we know Bill is more then likely to trade down and out of the !st. Considering this I’ll put out my first draft based on that assumtion. Here goes:
      1) Trade down for 2nd, 3rd & 5th
      2a) Darqueze Dennard CB Mich St
      2b) DaQuan Jones DT Penn St
      3a Travis Swanson OC Ark
      3b)Ahmad Dixon SS Baylor
      4) Blake Bourtles QB UCF
      5) traded
      5) Ben Malena RB Tex A&M
      6a) Spencer Long OG Neb ( taking a good thought from Russell)
      6b) Mason Walters OG Tex
      7) Colt Lyecla TE Ore ( red flag, but only a 7th)

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I really like Bill trading back, but not sure it happens this year. But trading back would sure add some value to the Patriots draft. Like your player picks Steve; OG Walters is I guy I like just not sure when to pick him.
        I have been looking at what the Patriot’s 53 man Roster next year may look like, with the next draft class. If Spikes leaves, LB is very thin behind Fletcher, and depending on Talib, CB could be a big need.
        And I feel very sure a QB is taken somewhere, and Bourtles could be a great pick, I’m alittle more partial to Jeff Mathews now. Sure is fun projecting this stuff, lots to think about.

• Exactly right about the fun Russell. Also things remain in flux until definative decisions are made by Bill. Will he trade or keep Mallett? Does Talib get resigned and Spikes too? Who from the PS comes to camp and all such.
          Me, I can’t see Talib not being signed but then I couldn’t see Welker going either. We have Wolfilk, Kelly on IR and Sopoaga active at DT plus the two rookies (and Grissom On IR as well). How the old vets hold up and come back plays a big part in how things will unfold but I would really like a DT taken sooner rather then later just in case as there has been zero news on Armstead.
          I couldn’t fit a LB into my mock as you did but if Bill was to trade Mallett we could see at least two more picks this year making that LB possable. As the OG goes if between Walters and Long I’d have to go with the latter though wouldn’t complain if it was the other way

• MarcSluis says:

In response to Steve’s
        1) Trade down for 2nd, 3rd & 5th
        2a) Darqueze Dennard CB Mich St
        2b) DaQuan Jones DT Penn St
        3a Travis Swanson OC Ark
        3b)Ahmad Dixon SS Baylor
        4) Blake Bourtles QB UCF
        5) traded
        5) Ben Malena RB Tex A&M
        6a) Spencer Long OG Neb ( taking a good thought from Russell)
        6b) Mason Walters OG Tex
        7) Colt Lyecla TE Ore ( red flag, but only a 7th)

If the Pats could pull that off, I’d have to give them an A! All those guys are super talented, but also given great production. I would point out the insane value picks there, but they all are! I would think Pats fans would be incredibly happy

• Just happy to spread the joy around Marc, lol. Really though we all know these mocks never, ever unfold as we write them out but just what if is the fun of it all.
          Thank all you guys for having this site where we football nuts can exchange ideas and views.

• MarcSluis says:

Russell’s
      1st- CB Kyle Fuller
      2nd- LB Shayne Skov
      3d- TE Jacob Patersen
      4th- QB Jeff Mathews
      6th- OG Spencer Long- (injured or 2nd round guy)
      6th- RB James White
      7th- (Player of Value/need) CB/S Antone Exum (injured or 2nd round guy)

Like it a lot. Great job as well. Getting the injury wildcards Exum and Long at those spots in particular would be big time. Fuller, Skov, Pederson and Matthews are SO Belichik too!

• acm says:

good mocks all around.

Personally, I’d take Exum over Dixon for the SAF position as the former is also a very good CB and I think a better safety too. I expect Exum to fall some in the draft due to his injury and lack of playing time in his senior season but not too far – he’s already back on the field from his ACL injury and should be in top shape for the combine, so I think he drops at most to late 3rd, maybe into the 4th but not any further.

• MarcSluis says:

I really like Exum’s fit as well and I think you are right that he’ll be taken fairly early even considering the injury. I’d be surprised if it only took a 4th rounder as well.

2. Marco Clarke says:

Patriots are probably going to need to draft a Qb because with everyone in love with Patriots Qb’s especially after what Brian Hoyer did with the Browns and the fact that before all the draft Interviews Mallet was Supposed to go in the 1st round don’t be Surprised when hea Signed else where for Some Matt Flyn type money but hopefully playing well plus I can See a TE or CB being our 1st and 2nd round pick

• MarcSluis says:

I agree, not sure when its time to prepare for the future but the Pats have been happy to take a terrific value at QB when it presents itself. It ends up providing a nice backup who rarely sees the field yet increasing in trade value.

3. Russell Easterbrooks says:

I know lots of folks don’t agree with me, but I think Bill, look’s at a TE, RB, QB somewhere in this draft. There is some talk that Harrison 6’3″ 230 could be a joker TE, and if thats in the plan, then a TE is NOT a high draft option. I like TE Jacob Pederson 6’4″ 240, as a good option for the Patriots to draft. There are other great TE’s but most will be gone before the Patriots draft pick.
    At RB when Vereen, Washington, got hurt, that really hurt the Offence’s game in the mismatch/drop-off area. I think Bill looks at a guy, good in the passing game as well as a solid back. I also think Bill would like a Sr. guy with lots of playing time. I like RB-James White as a productive prospect.
    Lastly the QB spot, I doubt the Patriots resign Mallett, who’s contract ends after the 2014 season. This is even more likely if Talib resigns for 8-10 mil. a year. Bringing in a QB prospect this coming year, while mallett is still on the staff, alows for a better evaluation in the future. I like A.J. McCarrans, and IF he’s there for the Patriots 2nd-3d round, (not likely)pick I would take him. A more likely move is taking QB Jeff Mathews in the 4-6th?

• MarcSluis says:

Could definitely see Belichik take a talented, strong armed guy like Matthews. Plus he loves smart guys and Matthews is an Ivy Leaguer.

Pederson is very much the versatile H-back type the Pats are looking for. They have a surplus at RB, but there are some high potential guys I think value wise could be attractive.

• Thought I’d throw in a thought here. Another RB that seems to be an under the radar type is Ben Malena, Tex A&M. My thinking is he’s a lower 4th to 6th rounder possability. Not going to set the world on fire but Bill wouldn’t be looking for that at RB this draft. Not a lot of tape on him but good looking one on what there is.

• Hey Russell I think it’s very possable Bill will look for a QB, RB even another TE somewhere probably mid or lower rounds. Know you like the QB from Ala but think he will go to high. I like Bortles from UCF, think a 4th could nab him. Very productive winner, classic drop-back from a mid level program which makes me think he has lots of upside. Just my gut feeling. I mentioned a RB Malena, Tex A&M which Marc seems to agree is an under the radar guy that I feel would fit nicely with the Pat’s. Both these guys could rise after the combine but for now.
      About Harrison filling the hybread TE/WR spot very possable. All depends on his blocking ability which is 90% desire. I have no clue how he would do on that but consider him a likely candidate.

4. Love these breakdowns. Please keep them coming at least through round 4.

5. Kyle says:

Taylor Lewan, not Tyler. Good article

6. Henry Carmen says:

Yeah I would say ASJ has a ton of potential, but that does not mean he is not tapping in to it yet. He is probably the best blocking TE in cfb an one of, if not the best reciever. I know this year he has kinda dropped of but just watch some stuff from last year on youtube… He would catch say 7 passes for 90 yards and a TD, but the biggest impact he would make would still be in the running game. He was responsible for tons of rushing tds on the goal line and opened a lot of holes for Sankey.

• MarcSluis says:

Good point, based on his frame and strength he should become even more dominant as a blocker. At times though now he gets a little grabby and has his hand placement too far outside. Those would be holding calls at the next level mostly.

Ebron is also a good blocker and very strong for his lighter frame. Plus he is so explosive has a receiving threat. Both have worlds of potential and that’s leaving out a stud in Jace Amaro

• carlo strada says:

Id like to think belichick is on the idea of getting Seferian-Jenkins, and though is a lot early to say that hes gonna slip onto late rounds (3rd round for example), He aligned on the opposite or alongside gronk on the ofensive line, would be like a hell on wheels for the defensive side. Strong running game and tough matchups on the passing game. IMO belichik isnt trying to figure it out with a WR (currently weve plenty of them), but to rebuild something that once was our label and a strenght, but this time if pats get Seferian, could be even more lethal stuff that once was with Hernandez, i think that getting Seferian would mean pats will run a more aggressive running oriented ofense resulting at the end of the day on the more devastating play action team ever. Im expecting Seferian to go on a late 1st to middle secound round. I wouldnt mind if belichick doesnt go DT or NT on the 1st, but getting this guy. Belichicks misterious ways.

7. Alex says:

Did I miss the all first team offense?