Ranking the Patriots Roster from #90 to #1

Where does Brandon Spikes rank on the 2013 Patriots?

NEPD Editor: Mike Loyko

Tomorrow all the attention will be focused on the new football season and that the Patriots are back on the practice field. It won’t take long for the focus to shift towards what players will make the final roster. With 90 active players on the roster 37 of them will be cut before the end of summer. Where does each player rank on the roster and what chances do they actually have to make the final 53? I rank the roster from top to bottom and explore the chances of each player.

Long Shots to Make the Roster or Practice Squad

4) Jerod Mayo, LB
3) Vince Wilfork, DT
2) Rob Gronkowski, TE

The Tom F’ing Brady Category

1) Tom Brady, QB

Tags: Chandler Jones, Tom Brady

17 Responses to “Ranking the Patriots Roster from #90 to #1”

1. MaineMan says:

IIRC, there was some concern that Danny Aiken may have been a contributing factor in Gost’s early-season shakiness in 2012. I what ever it was recurs in TC and/or Zupancic is more consistent and works better with Gost and Mesko . . .

I’d move Gregory and Fletcher down with the Bubble Players. Both have a lot of competition (both positionally and on special teams) and Gregory doesn’t appear to have much upside beyond what we’ve already seen.

Haslam, I think, still has PS eligibility left, but I’m pretty sure that Tyronne Green does not and I don’t think Edds does either.

Arrington:
    1) can play RCB adequately with good safety help over the top (and a lot of even very good LCBs can’t mirror to the right side well enough); he has real value as a backup for that spot
    2) is nearly strong safety good against the run
    3) is an exceptional special-teamer
    4) was rated as one of the top few “star” or slot CBs in the league last season

2. Steve says:

I know this is kind of nit picking, but shouldn’t you have put a long snapper as likely to make the team. If Mike Zupancic is your most likely to get cut, then by definition, Danny Aiken should at least be put in the “likely to make the team,” if not “spot secured and on the game day roster.”

• Mike Loyko says:

This isn’t a roster projection, obviously if I were projecting the roster I would put him on it. It’s more a ranking of talent and their importance to the team

3. USMarine75 says:

Chandler Jones is elite? Pump the breaks, buddy. Let’s see what he does with a year under his belt. Mark Anderson had 10 sacks and more impact plays as a starter for only 6 games and he wasn’t elite. I still think that Chandler Jones in 2012 was a step back from an old Andre Carter in 2011, and he disappeared at the end of the season. But there’s plenty of promise, especially with Wilfork, Kelly, Ninkovich, Spikes, Collins, Mayo, and Hightower out there in the front 7.

4. madmatt says:

my comment seems to have been deleted?

Was curious about your thoughts on Long Snapper, since you grade Danny Aiken at 58, thus leaving him off the game day roster.

Is there someone else on the roster at a different position who is capable to snap, that you think will take the job?

5. Rob says:

Here’s a list of players you have rated worse than Tebow: Bequette,Cunningham,Mcdonald,Ebner,Fortson,Bolden,Fells,Zusevics,Koutouvides,Jenkins. Hell I’d rather have Buchanan ( never played a down in the NFL) than Tebow

6. J H TARBORO says:

Mike Loyko, always love your articles but your list is premature. This year will be different, you might see quite a few vets take a hike! We’ll see!

7. madmatt says:

How do you not have a Long Snapper making the team?
    Danny Aiken has to be 53 or above right?
    Just curious, if you think another player may do the long snapping?

8. Andrew B says:

Nice list, and who said the Patriots don’t draft well??. Few things I think: 1) I’d put Amendola further down somewhere on the edge of impact player/spot secured ONLY because I’m afraid that he won’t be as much of an impact as we hoped due to the steep learning curve that comes with transitioning from the Rams offense to the Pats. If he picks things up, then you have him in a good spot. 2) If Spikes’ pass defense improved from last year, he should definitely be moved up into the elite category. 3) Justin Francis is ranked too high. Has the potential and upside, but I see him as more of a depth player likely to make the team.

9. Scott says:

Arrington makes an impact where he plays best – in the slot. He can get turned around on the outside which has caused some people to criticize his entire body of work, but his skills on ST and as the nickle CB make him an impactful player.

10. JP87 says:

Tebow & Cunningham ahead of Bequette?

• Mike Loyko says:

I just noticed that.. I should have had Bequette ahead of Cunningham, I meant to flip it before I published it.

11. Brian says:

I agree with most of the list. But having Arrington as an impact player is not what he is. Mediocre at best. They have 4 elite players on their roster . Brady,Gronk ,Mankins, Wilfork.

12. newenglandsports11 says:

Arrington ahead of Dennard? Arrington has been so shaky and I would not put him in impact players category. Also think outside of Dobson, that Armstead has most potential on entire team.

• Mike Loyko says:

Arrington just signed a long term deal, Dennard just got a DUI.. Arrington’s standing on the team is much better right now. Armstead is on the Non-Football Illness list, given his past heart issues that is troublesome. For now he is in the right spot.

• Alex says:

I thought I read that he was on the list because it was an injury outside his time in the NFL, and therefore he can be placed on it. Nothing to do with the heart.

13. Dan McG says:

Lol’d at the “Tom F’ing Brady Category”
    Good stuff