Film: Tommy Kelly vs. Chargers 2012

Bill Belichick Patriots Coach

How is Belichick thinking about using Tommy Kelly?

NEPD Editor: Matthew Jones

The new England Patriots recently signed defensive tackle Tommy Kelly to a two-year, $5 million contract with $1 million in guaranteed money. After the jump, take a look at some film cutups of New England’s newest addition.

Tags: Film, New England Patriots, Tommy Kelly

6 Responses to “Film: Tommy Kelly vs. Chargers 2012”

1. Nuf Ced says:

I don’t know maybe I watched a different 93 than ya’ll did but he didn’t lethargic to me. He dropped back in coverage, and looked pretty fluid for 6’6″ 325 to me. He followed plays downfield and assisted on tackles. Did he get pushed around by double teams? Yes but most guys not over 350 do. He pushed the pocket but seemed to tire later in the game. Played a tad high and looked to shoot gaps; would expect more power from a player his size.

Sorry Jim, I didn’t see the Seymour you did; he was washed out/neutralized with the exception of a few plays.

2. Jeff M says:

This was actually exactly what I called when I heard the Raiders were thinking of cutting Kelly for cap purposes.

I knew Bill would go after Kelly since he’s exactly the kind of penetrating DT the Pats need next to Vince. The Pats had actually discussed a trade with OAK involving (at the time) Vollmer after he was drafted and Hoyer in exchange for Kelly so Kelly was always of interest to the Pats. Obviously that trade was initiated by OAK but Bill loves this guy.

Excited to see him next to Vince!

3. munchkin says:

We know that SD has a horrible offensive line with very bad tackle play.

4. Alex says:

He seems really lethargic on the field. I don’t understand why BB is willing to pay him $5 mil for 2 years (maybe he’s jut trolling Seymour). Did he drop into coverage a couple of times, or was that someone else?
    Given size (6-6, 325) maybe BB wants him to play 3-4 DE (also, signing Armstead who’s 6-5, 300 and Kelly makes me think more 3-4 is coming for base D), but he did not seem to do well against double teams.

5. Jim says:

All I got out of this was.. Richard Seymour >>> tommy Kelly

6. Matt says:

Not really impressed. Didn’t see anything stand out really but 2 encroachment penalties. BB isn’t gonna stand for that!