Fifteen Thoughts on the First Round of the 2013 NFL Draft

9. How about that Manti Te’o is a first round lock talk? I have to say I am quite surprised he didn’t go in the first round. Everyone believed he would go to Minnesota with one of their selections. Minnesota didn’t just pass on him once, they passed on him three times. Te’o will hear his name called early tomorrow and will still have a very productive player. It appears that poor 40 time and the Lennay Kekua situations did indeed hurt him.

10. The Jets looked to be sitting pretty with two high first round picks, but there top targets came off the board quick, leaving them scrambling to fill their needs. The Jets used the whole clock on both selections, first to pick CB Dee Milliner and second to pick DT Sheldon Richardson. The Milliner pick makes a ton of sense. He is the best CB in the draft and fills and area of need. The Richardson pick is a bit strange because I don’t think he is a great fit and the Jets don’t have huge needs on the DL.

It’s pretty clear they wanted Tavon Austin bad and everyone in the NFL knew it. The Jets were unable to get their top targets, didn’t address their offensive needs and couldn’t trade down. One thing is clear, their offense will be putrid next season.

11. Minnesota has to be considered the winner of day one and not just because they selected three players. No one expected Sharrif Floyd to be available at pick #23, nobody. Floyd fills a huge need for the Vikings adding youth and athleticism to the DL. On top of that they pick up Xavier Rhodes, the consensus #2 corner. Then they give up the rest of their draft to trade back up and get one of the best WR in Cordarrelle Patterson. It’s too early to project, but it certainly looks like they got three impact players on day one.

12. The Dallas Cowboys bungled their draft pick in my opinion. They had targeted interior OL and thought they could get one by trading down into the late first round. They also really liked UNC DT Sylvester Williams. I don’t think the board could have played out any worse for Dallas. Sure offensive Center was a huge need, but you don’t pick centers in the first round. Frederick was widely considered the top center, but he’s a third round value. Jerry Jones hasn’t draft very well in recent years and this might be another example of him misplaying his hand.

13. I love SAF Eric Reid, but I’m not sure the 49ers had to trade up so high to get him. The 49ers gave up a 3rd round pick to go get their guy, but they may have forced their hand. With little cap space and too many picks to use this is a case of them having to move up in the draft. Reid is a very good player, but there are rumors his shoulders are arthritic which could limit his career.

14. A couple things that surprised me: The Bengals taking Tyler Eifert, #2 WR is a much bigger need and they struggled to fill it all last year. The Falcons trading up for Trufant, good chance he made it to them at pick #30. Datone Jones to the Packers, no one saw this coming and we should have. Ted Thompson doesn’t miss a beat. Finally, Sylvester Williams to the Broncos. It’s a good pick, I just didn’t see it coming.

15. The one pick that is a major head-scratcher in my opinion is the Colts selection of Bjoern Werner. I am a fan of Werner and had him ranked in the top 20, but I really have questions about his ability to stand up and play 3-4 OLB. Werner was one of the only DE that I thought was limited to a traditional hand in the dirt role. If the Colts were going to take a pass rusher and stand them up, they probably should have picked his teammate Tank Carradine. Carradine didn’t get picked on day one and remains one of the top players available heading into day two.

Continue to Page: 1 2

Tags: 15 Thoughts, 2013 NFL Draft, Tavon Austin

11 Responses to “Fifteen Thoughts on the First Round of the 2013 NFL Draft”

1. 3p0 says:

AM- The Colts do play multiple fronts, silly.

2. MaineMan says:

Woods is the same size as Patton and put up nearly identical workout numbers, but is smarter and a much-more accomplished route-runner. Wheaton is as smart as Woods, nearly the route-runner that Woods is and is much more athletic than either Patton or Woods. I’d go with either Woods or Wheaton at #52.

At #91, as long as you’re going for another development project WR, Swope, Boyce, Harrison or Wilson offer the same or better athleticism as Dobson, and probably start out ahead of him in route-running.

3. MaineMan says:

#10 – I don’t think Richardson is a bad fit for the Jets at all. Even with Pouha (who’s getting old) and DeVito (who’s now gone), they couldn’t really put up a solid/effective 30-front, much less the versatile one they’ll have now with Richardson joining Coples and Wilkerson.

4. AM says:

Agreed on Werner to the Colts–he’s much better suited to being a 4-3 DE, so unless they plan on switching to the fabled “multiple fronts,” he may have a bit of an adjustment. As to the Vikings, Patterson move strikes me as having enormous bust potential–not a very sophisticated WR, very raw, with a mediocre work ethic. The physical skills are undeniable, but to give up most of the rest of your draft when there were so many other quality WRs on the board? It seems like they felt like they hit the lottery when Floyd and Rhodes fell, and went a bit crazy after that.

As to the Patriots, nice to see so many picks in the draft’s sweet spot. The Patton/Dobson double-dip would be a great move, although I think they are more likely to go Wheaton/Dobson in order to diversify receiver types. Williams is a lot more palatable in the second round than in the first, but still not that impressive. Mathieu should be off their board–too many red flags, not enough skill and discipline, and plenty of other DBs still hanging around.

5. J H TARBORO says:

Interesting draft day one, my thoughts are just as i suspected smokescreens, Fischer over Joechel, Ej Manuel over Geno Smith and Nassib and Shariff Floyd dropping 20 spots every mock had him at #3. The Pats traded #29 for 4 picks which was great! I felt bad for Geno Smith, he will play with a chip on his shoulders. The Cowboys had no clue! the Vikings did well in the1st round.

6. Seth says:

Jordan was a need for Miami, Miami’s other DE out lb other then Wake accounted for 4.5 sacks. As for tackle you can win with Martin as your left tackle, outside of the Aldon Smith game agst the 49ers he was a decent LT. Additionally, they play in a division with no dominant pass rushers, spare me the Mario Williams talk, and if you say Chandler Jones, I may cry from laughing to hard

7. Eyeball Art says:

I don’t want VALUE – I want PLAYERS!

• Clarkie21 says:

Agreed!! We tried this before and struck out on Darius Butler, Patrick Chung and Ron Brace in the second round. We need quality not quantity. It’s less likely for us to find impact players in the lower rounds compared to the first round. For a team that has few glaring needs, get the best players available!! The falcons have got the right philosophy. If you like a specific player, go get that player!!

• Aaron says:

I second that. We need playmakers.

8. CoachLarry says:

I Like everything except The Jesse Williams pick.. like the kid but doesn’t bring that push we need; we have Armstead and Kelly also.
    I wouldn’t mind Alex Okafor. Give us a solid #2 passrusher opposite CJones. Francis, Cunningham, Nink battle for ranks.
    Or Bostic lb w/ coverage skills IF they plan to use Hightower at rush DE on 3 rd downs.

9. Anthony says:

How is Dion Jordan a luxury item…you need more than 1 great rusher especially to get to Brady…