Fifteen Thoughts on the 2013 NFL Draft

11) It’s safe to assume that Tavon Austin has become the 2013 version of Mark Barron. What I mean by that is Austin, like Barron last year, is being mentioned in connection with almost every team in the first round. Also, like Barron I think Austin is going to go higher than anyone even expects. Barron was a fast riser last year and his name was being thrown around as high as Buffalo at #10. Ultimately, Barron went #7 to Tampa Bay, which no one saw coming. Austin is in a similar situation. His name is being tossed around as high as 12 to Miami right now, but by draft team I think there is a team in the top 10 that could pull the trigger and surprise everyone.

12) The 2013 Draft isn’t even here yet, but I’m already looking ahead to 2014. It’s tough not to be excited anticipating the draft class of next year. If the Patriots or any other teams  has the opportunity to trade out of the first round to pick up a 2nd and a 1st next year, they would be stupid to pass up the opportunity. Just looks at some of the names that will be in next year’s class: DE Jadeveon Clowney, WR Marqise Lee, QB Teddy Bridgewater, WR Sammy Watkins, Stephon Tuitt, Louis Nix III, Jackson Jeffcoat, Will Sutton, Taylor Lewan, Adrian Hubbard, CJ Mosely, Kyle Van Noy, Bradley Roby, Jake Matthews, Jason Verett, Ha Ha Clinton Dix and the list could go on and on. Looks like just a sick sick draft class.

Editor’s note – Here is our initial 2014 Draft Top Prospects list.

13) Florida State and LSU will produce multiple high defensive draft picks, but don’t forget about UConn. They could be the first team with four defensive players taken this year. What an impressive draft class UConn has put together. It’s not unreasonable to think that all four of their “key” prospects could go on day two of the draft. Blidi Wreh-Wilson will likely be the first defender off the board. Not too long after Wreh-Wilson goes I expect both LB Sio Moore and OLB Trevardo Williams to follow. I am a huge fan off both players and have both ranked in my top 80 players. Each one bring athleticism, passion and play-making potential. Don’t sleep on Dwayne Gratz either, while Blidi Wreh-Wilson has been getting all the attention, I know for a fact NFL teams that are very high on Gratz.

14) Florida State OT Menelik Watson got invited to the NFL Draft, confirming that NFL teams are very high on him. I just can’t get on board with a team using a first round pick on him. Watson has an athletic frame and his athletic ability is evident on the field, but he is going to need a lot of work and time to validate a first round pick. This year more than ever athletic players are getting pushed up the draft board artificially and Watson is an example of that. I’m not sure what team is going to pick Watson in the first round, but they will regret it. I have a early third round grade on Watson.

15) It’s been no secret that I have been an outspoken supporter of USC WR Robert Woods. For whatever reason the rest of the online NFL Draft community hasn’t been as high on Woods. Woods in my opinion is one of the most complete receivers in this year’s draft. I can tell you that NFL teams are much higher on Robert Woods than what is being put out there. I would love to have Woods on the Patriots, but based on what I have heard I am not sure he even makes it to their first round pick.

Continue to Page: 1 2 3

Tags: 15 Thoughts, 2013 NFL Draft, Bjoern Werner, Robert Woods, Tavon Austin

9 Responses to “Fifteen Thoughts on the 2013 NFL Draft”

1. Liam says:

My dream Pats draft for this year.

1. DeAndre Hopkins, WR Clemson
    2. Trade back for mid 3 and mid 5
    3. Baccari Rambo, S Georgia
    3. Kiko Alonso, LB Oregon
    5. Chris Faulk, OL LSU
    7. Marc Harrison, WR Rutgers
    7. Mike Catapano, DL Princeton

Obviously won’t happen like that, you’d have a better chance of winning the lottery than picking a draft class right, but it’s a fun game to play. Last year I wanted Courtney Upshaw (Chandler was the better pick) but the year before I wanted Nate Solder, so it sometimes does work out!

• Yesares says:

I also like this mock draft.

I only would change Rambo, for 2 reasons: don`t like his attitude on field, so much a free lancer, and I would prefer a strong safety type (Bacarri is a free safety type).

My pick would be someone between Earl Wolff, John Boyett or “Duke” Williams from FCS colleges or two prospects from small schools that can be very good as JJ Wilcox or Cooper Taylor

2. J H TARBORO says:

3 possible late round to UFA impressed me that the Patriots had here for a private workout.
    WR Courtney Gardner Sierra 6’3 215-220lbs 4.38 40yd.
    RB/WR Sam McGuffie Rice upper 4.2-4.3 40yd
    WR Mark Harrison Rutgers 6’3 230lbs 4.41 40yd
    for some reason i really like this McGuffie kid!!!

3. J H TARBORO says:

I still believe the WRs go much later than expected in the 1st round. A few players we might expect not to be there will be there, thanks to all the smokescreens.

4. AM says:

Keep in mind that Allen’s speed at his pro day was undoubtedly hampered by his injury recovery. Even without so-called “burner speed,” he separates with the best of them. I think he’d be well worth the pick at #29.

As to Werner, I’ve seen some mocks where he drops to #29, and further. I find that extremely unlikely, but if it plays out that way, the Patriots should pounce.

5. Yesares says:

Obviously everybody is focusing in WR as a glaring need for Patriots, but we better don`t forget that BB uses to pick in the first round with one o two year down the road in his sights.

In 2011 has selected Solder, because he knew that Matt Light would be gone at the end of that season in spite they had signed him for a 2 year contract.

Perhaps in 2012 has selected Hightower as a future Spikes substitute as starter MLB (Spikes is now in his contract year, next offseason will be a UFA). So, next year is possible that Patriots needs an starter OLB (to fill the hole that Hightower lays as moving to MLB) that can shed blocks, attacks opposite RBs and cover TEs. This player can be Ninkovich, but also can be the Patriot’s 2013 1st round pick.

My two favourite player for this role in this draft are Dion Jordan (out of reach for Patriots barring a huge trade up that should include Spikes & Mallet) and Arthur Brown, who I hopefully expect that would be avalaible at the bottom of 1st round.

I would be delighted if Patriots picks one of this 2 player in next draft.

There are enough depth in this WR class to select one very good in 2nd round (Wheaton, Patton or Woods).

And in 3rd round, a CB.

Two 7th for a OL and another WR.

6. Russell Easterbrooks says:

I don’t see Bill taking a QB 1st BUT maybe this year! I like Markus Wheaton as the best fit into the Patriots Offence, at #59, or Bill may move-up in the Second, with a trade with Tampa sending QB Mallett and #59 to them for #43 and #112.
    I still think Bill takes LB Sio Moore with the 1st pick either at #29 or move back some, and take him.

7. Jim R says:

You hit a lot of key points, rounds 2-4 is where you can make some nice additions that should be able to contribute this year. The wr’s I like both Allen and Woods, I could see them selecting one of the two if they move back into Rd. 2. Next years draft does look like some top end talent will be available, Love the kid Barr from UCLA. I still think Dline first pick. Rd’s 2-3 corner/Wr not sure which order.