April 10th Three-Round Mock Draft (Matthew Jones)

Missouri defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson could succeed Randy Starks in Miami. (Photo: US Presswire)

NEPD Editor: Matthew Jones

With just over two weeks remaining until the 2013 NFL Draft, it’s time to take another look at which direction teams may be looking to go in over the draft’s first three rounds. Read on to find out where this year’s top prospects are being projected.

FIRST ROUND:

1. Kansas City Chiefs – OT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M*

Although there has been some buzz surrounding Central Michigan tackle Eric Fisher as a possibility here, it still appears that Luke Joeckel, a more polished prospect, is the front-runner for the first overall pick.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars – QB Geno Smith, West Virginia

The Jaguars claim to be happy to give Blaine Gabbert another chance at the starting job, but they have also been dedicating quite a bit of time to Geno Smith; new management may want a new quarterback.

3. Oakland Raiders – DT Sharrif Floyd, Florida*

According to recent reports, it now appears likely that Florida defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd has supplanted Utah tackle Star Lotulelei; Oakland could use new personnel to replace Richard Seymour and Tommy Kelly.

4. Philadelphia Eagles – OT Eric Fisher, Central Michigan

The Philadelphia Inquirer has identified Eric Fisher as the most likely option here, although additional possibilities include Dion Jordan, Star Lotulelei, Lane Johnson, and possibly Dee Milliner.

5. Detroit Lions – DE Ezekiel Ansah, Brigham Young

Dee Milliner would be a fantastic pick here, but after losing Cliff Avril and Kyle Vanden Bosch in free agency, an additional pass rusher is needed; Ansah’s freakish combination of size and speed could give him the edge.

6. Cleveland Browns – CB Dee Milliner, Alabama*

Miami has quite a bit of ammunition to trade up into this slot for Oklahoma offensive tackle Lane Johnson; Cleveland could move down to the number twelve overall pick in order to stockpile extra picks.

7. Arizona Cardinals – OT Lane Johnson, Oklahoma

Johnson could also go number six via trade, most likely to the Miami Dolphins as part of a move up; however, it may be more attractive for Miami to stay put and trade a second-round pick for Branden Albert.

8. Buffalo Bills – DE Barkevious Mingo, Louisiana St.*

Offensive help is needed, but Buffalo has shown interest in Barkevious Mingo as well, who could provide an upgrade over starter Mark Anderson, who was very underwhelming last season.

9. New York Jets – LB Dion Jordan, Oregon

A versatile player who could realistically project to either defensive end or outside linebacker, Jordan would fit well in Rex Ryan’s creative defensive fronts, particularly as an upgrade to New York’s pass rush.

10. Tennessee Titans – OG Chance Warmack, Alabama

Star Lotulelei may be a slightly better value, but it’s possible that Mike Munchak, a former guard himself, could fall in love with either Chance Warmack or Jonathan Cooper for the right side of the line.

11. San Diego Chargers – DT Star Lotulelei, Utah

Incoming head coach Mike McCoy is a master of putting together offenses, so it’s possible that he could pass on Cordarrelle Patterson for a nose tackle to finish San Diego’s defensive line rebuild.

12. Miami Dolphins – DT Sheldon Richardson, Missouri*

D.J. Fluker has received some recent hype with this pick, but Sheldon Richardson also represents a strong value; Randy Starks is on a one-year franchise tender and could be replaced at the end of the season.

13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – CB Xavier Rhodes, Florida St.*

A trade involving this pick as part of a package for Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis remains a possibility, but if the Buccaneers retain their first-round choice, they could still target a cornerback such as Xavier Rhodes.

14. Carolina Panthers – WR Tavon Austin, West Virginia

Carolina should be salivating at the possibility of pairing a versatile playmaker such as Tavon Austin with another superior athlete in Cam Newton; the pairing could make for some interesting spread option plays.

15. New Orleans Saints – DE Bjoern Werner, Florida St.*

Werner’s ability to transition to a 3-4 defense has been questioned, but he has some experience working out of a two-point stance dating back to his time at Florida State; he could remind the Saints of Paul Kruger.

16. St. Louis Rams – FS Kenny Vaccaro, Texas

It’s somewhat difficult to imagine St. Louis going with a defensive tackle such as Sheldon Richardson here, considering they invested heavily in Kendall Langford (free agency) and Michael Brockers (draft) last offseason.

Continue to Page: 1 2 3 4

Tags: 2013 NFL Draft, 2013 NFL Mock Draft, NFL, NFL Draft

32 Responses to “April 10th Three-Round Mock Draft (Matthew Jones)”

1. Bill says:

That would be dream type draft, to get Carradine, Banks, and Bailey with 3 picks at those spots. I was hoping for jessewilliams, Marc’s Wheaton, and Jordan Poyer, but this is even better, although more unlikely to shake out. If the Sanders deal goes away, I gotta believe the Pats will takeaWR by 2nd Rd. They really will need one, and unless a really good DE is there, I think it will be Rd 1

• cc says:

USING YOUR DRAFT: If they cant start with snagging Jessie Williams in the first: I trade out the #29 worth 640- it = a mid 2nd & mid 3rd respectively, +/- either one.
      + I’d shock the draft by have some fun and specifically give our next year 1st for a this year 2nd as well(assumes mid’type as well) +/-whatever…..
      *2013.
      *#41(from next year’s 1st)
      (C/OG) Travis Frederickson Wisconsin.
      *#46 (from trade of the #29 worth 430)
      (CB) Blindi Wreh-Wilson Connecticut.
      *#59 (our own)
      (DE/OLB) Alex Okafor Texas.
      *#75 (from trade of the #29 worth 215)
      (DT) Brandon Williams Missouri South State.
      *#91 = Either E.Sanders OR draft Da’Rick Rogers.

With the (2) 7th roundrs I’d bite on (CB) Josh Johnson-Purdue first, then another (WR) like either Mark Harrison OR Marquis Wilson.

2. joe says:

Alright if the pats get those 2 picks tank and Taylor with the first 2picks I would be real happy with that. I also think Cleveland trades back and gets a 2nd or third round pick out of it a trades that for mallat. I really believe BB has something up his sleeve. Bill B and mike Lombardi are boys and Lombardi loved mall at coming out of college

• cc says:

Sorry bro, but are we hoping that BB takes another PRE & KNOWN INJURY CASE????
      Taylor Price & Ras-I-Dowling comes 2 mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Can you say fresh ACL TEAR kids?!?!
      No carridine – No way.

I personally look at:
      DT Jessie Williams.
      DE Alex Okafor.
      CB Best Man Cover.
      & yes, I’d use a next year pick OR TWO along with the (2) 7th’s in order to do it.

Done.

3. kdog says:

My one criticism of this mock is that you have too many QBs slipping. I know it’s hard without trades, but the over/under on QBs in the 1st round should be around 3. . .

4. Jim R says:

Dennard 30 days in jail 2 yrs probation. Do not think godell will tack on to this. He should be good to go for the year

• AM says:

And the 30 days doesn’t kick in until next March. I would also wager that most of that sentence is suspended, or that he gets early release. I would be surprised if he actually spent more than a few days in jail.

5. AM says:

I think that regardless of whether Sanders comes on board or not, the Patriots go for at least one WR in the first three rounds. Even if the Steelers choose not to match, no guarantees that he meshes with Brady (see Galloway, Ochocinco, etc.), and no guarantees he comes on for a long-term deal. Even if he does, that leaves them only two deep at receiver come next year, unless Donald Jones turns out to be the real deal.

As to these selections, difficult to see them going for Carradine over Hopkins, Allen, or Jamar Taylor. Johnthan Banks is a steal at #59, but I doubt he falls that far even with his speed questions. At #91, I wouldn’t opt for Bailey with Aaron Dobson still on the board.

• acm says:

If they spend the 3rd rounder on Sanders, I expect them to go defense with any 1-3 round picks they may have even after trades. With Sanders on board, I would expect a bigger-bodied WR to be targeted in the 5th and later rounds (again, assuming trades) and more precisely players like Wilson, Mellette, Harrison, Gardner.

If they get Sanders, improving DE, DT, OLB, and secondary would become the primary objective, imo.

• cc says:

Unless its a 7th rounder…….another WR would IMO be a waste.
      They made their bed…..lay down in it. Go with your Amendola-NEW, Jones-NEW, Jenkins-NEW, + Edelman-(Not a Starter), Nate Ebner( lord please let somebody be a diamond in the ruff & make up for guy’s like Dowling & Cunningham)…….

Personally: I think TB12 can do quite well being forced 2throw2 “Everyone”.

Lets work on the “D” shall we?

6. td says:

I think a few posters are back to the dillusional “trade the backup QB for more draft picks” mantra. Why would BB trade a their backup they have been grooming the past few years, having cut Hoyer and leave themselves with no backup? Also, why would another team trade for a backup taken in the third round that had some issues and has done nothing but hold Brady’s golf clubs?

If they did trade him, what QB would they pick up in that steamy mess of college QB’s and on the street;Leinart, Clemons, Carr, Grossman?

Many posed trading Hoyer a year ago for more picks (firsts and seconds) but they had to cut him eventually and he got a gig when some QB’s went down later in the year.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

BB already has QB Kafka on the pay-roll and I think he likes him, or he would not have signed him! I also feel IF Mallett is the Future QB for New England then NO trade, however if he’s not, Why wait trade him?? I don’t think BB will carry TWO QB’s on the Roster So ??
      So I’m Projecting he’s Traded to Tampa, maybe with our 1st pick #29, for
      a 2nd #43, 4th #112 4th #126 and a 3d next year. ( between #70-#85 )

7. Joe Blake says:

I doubt the Pats will draft a WR assuming that the Steelers don’t match Sander’s offer sheet #. I see a CB and a DE with their 1st & 2nd picks (highest position on their board dictating the order). An OL with one of their 7th round picks. I doubt they pick up another FA DE (i.e. a Freeney or Abraham).

8. Russell Easterbrooks says:

I still think BB trades back of more picks, or the Patriots trade QB mallett for more selections,… but here are my 5 picks for the Patriots draft 2013.
    1st – Sio Moore OLB, Connecticut
    2nd- Jordan Poyer CB , Oregon State
    3d- Emmanuel Sanders deal, if not
    …. Jared Smith DT, New Hampshire

7th- T.J. Johnson OG/C South Carolina
    7th- Demetrius McCray CB Appalachian State

If BB get’s more picks before draft day, I may change/add players, to my draft, but this is it!!

• acm says:

I have to say that mock seems a bit random to me, Russel. I agree that they need an OLB but Sio Moore is a 2nd round talent. If there is an OLB worthy of a 29th pick in this draft, that would be Arthur Brown (better than Ogletree, imo).
      Otherwise, trade out of the 1st and you can still get K. Greene or Moore in mid to late 2nd round. And there are pretty good players even deeper in the draft too – Alonso, Gooden, Holloman, Kline, Knott, P. Steward, just to name a few.
      Sio Moore is good but not 1st round good and certainly not unique either.

Also, Jared Smith is great alternative to players like Vellano or Hill but unlikely to be drafted before the 5th and even 6th round.

I think your expectation of BB reaching for a player makes you overestimate the likelihood of that happening. Circumstances are diff this year with BB having the fewest number of picks in his stay with the Pats, even without losing that 3rd for Sanders, so I think one should fully expect him to adjust his approach accordingly.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I expect BB to trade back into the second, so LB Moore will our 1st pick which I think will be in the second, if we stay as we are Moore will be gone by #59. If you study the numbers on DT Smith they are equal to or better in nearly all, to Sharrif Floyd. He is a reach, I admit, but if the Sanders deal happens its mute.
        I’m thinking that BB ends up with 6 picks, #2 2nds, #2 4ths, and # 2 7ths. With a Trade to Tampa as the most likely partner, maybe our 1st, and or QB Mallett, as a deal for more picks, this year, and or next year.

• Jim R says:

In this draft I do not think there is that much seperation from a projected first round pick and a third round pick. There is very good talent well into round 4. BB trading back and getting Sanders with a Third round pick will supplement this roster very nicely.

• kdog says:

re: Jim R below. . . I think maybe Belichick doesn’t agree. If he liked the 3rd round talent, he would be loathe to give up that pick. . . just a thought.

• acm says:

now that’s a scenario I can get behind. I don’t have a problem with BB drafting Moore in mid or late 2nd as he is a very good prospect for the 4-3 OLB role – my concern with the mock had to do with reaching for him at 29, which should be reserved for unique talents only, especially in a year with so few picks … and unique he simply isn’t.

Personally, I would be perfectly fine with one of Greene, Moore, Alonso for that role in late 2nd, early 3rd (again, assuming trades) and I think at least one of them falls there.

I don’t think it would would be a stretch to expect BB to end up with a 5th and/or a 6th round pick this year after some trades involving players or future draft picks, so I think he would get a shot at players like Klein and Knott, who I don’t think would go any earlier than the 5th.

In those later rounds there is some good DT talent too and J. Smith is one of them.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

LB Holloman is a favorit of mine, but Moore is faster, stronger able to get of blocks in the run game. Each cover very well, Moore rushes the passer some better. I don’t care for K. Greene, Alonso or gooden. Kline and Knott are very good late, but not in the 7th they will be gone.

• kdog says:

OK thanks. I like the idea of Moore but I have sticker shock. I’d feel better with (as you say) spending a mid-2nd on him.

• kdog says:

So you like Moore, huh? Why him and not Brown, Greene, Bostic, etc.? It could be that all these guys grade out similarly – so we trade back to the mid-2nd and take whoever’s left. . . but I definitely agree that a speedy LB is a top priority, and a hot commodity.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I think Brown is to small, more of a SS body, Greene looked dreadful in coverage on tape IMO, Bostic I like, but I’m not sure he’s a cover guy.
        Sio Moore has good size at 6’1″ 245 runs a 4.62-40 has strong hands/Arms, gets of blockers very well in the run game. Is very good in coverage, moves well, good rusher off the edge. I liked his interview, I though he presented himself well, team guy. His Tape had him doing many things, on D versitile player.

9. Tommy G. says:

I notice you have the Patriots picking Stedman Bailey in the third round.

Would you rather them draft Stedman Bailey, or get Emmanuel Sanders from the Pittsburgh Steelers with that third round pick?

• AM says:

Interesting question. For my part, I’d rather opt for Sanders. That being said, Aaron Dobson goes off the board a few picks later, and I’d rather have him than either one.

• acm says:

as things stand with the WR core, I’d also take Dobson over Bailey but I think that would be beside the point as Dobson would most likely be long gone by late 3rd anyway.
        come to think of it, to an extent would be surprised to see Bailey fall there too, same goes for Swope.
        So, if I am gonna compare Sanders in terms of value with WRs that would most likely be there at 91, I would probably make up a list consisting of players like Goodwin, Stills, Boyce, King.

10. Billy C. says:

I’d be shocked if Hunt lasts until the last pick of the second round.

11. Blackluck says:

Starting to think Carradine won’t be available at 29. Think that means CB in the 1st. :(

• I don’t think New England would have a chance to draft him at #29 after teams move around. Realistically, it’s probably more likely that they draft someone like Markus Wheaton, Jamar Taylor, or Blidi Wreh-Wilson.

• acm says:

I think one of Datone Jones, Jesse Williams, Tank Carradine falls to the Pats at 29, in increasing order of probability, and they take the player in question. Otherwise, they trade out of there.

If the Sanders thing falls thru, I can see BB go for a Keenan Alen or Deandre Hopkins there, but wouldn’t hold my breath for that, tbh.
      Imo, DL would be a priority at 29 no matter what happens with Sanders.

There are a number of good CB options in the 2nd round, especially if Dennard avoids jail time. This being said, I would still look out for the need to for a CB to be taken care of by drafting a S instead, which would allow McCourty to move back at CB if needed. Phillip Thomas or DJ Swearinger in the 2nd/3rd are such players that come to mind.

• cc says:

Honestly, McCourty has been great at the safety position. I just assume keep him there TBH. He’s got some issues/flaws at CB & it might serve better keeping him at safety( 4the long term ). I’d rather they do that & grab the best hard-core Man Cover (CB) with the round2 pick after the preferring of a monster DT like Jessie Williams with the round 1 pick.
        I’d use a next year pick or the 2 – 7th rounders ? in order to jump up for Williams in the 1st.

The backfield will flourish tagging the aforementioned in both the 1st & the 2nd round the true progress of the younger & rookie type’s like marquies cole( could do without ), nate ebner( eager 2 C ), tavon willson( wher is his ceiling ) & this enigma Malcom Williams?