2013 NFL Mock Draft: Tony Santorsa (4/3)

NEPD Staff Writer: Tony Santorsa

With free agency taking up just about most of March, we’re now in April—or better off known as “NFL draft month.” With that being said, let’s take a look at my latest mock draft as we sit just a few weeks away from the 2013 NFL Draft at Radio City Music Hall in New York City.

Updated: 4/4

1. Kansas City Chiefs: Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M

There hasn’t been any guarantees to who the Kansas City Chiefs will be selecting with the first overall pick in this year’s draft—but I’d have to go with Luke Joeckel. He’s ultimately the popular No. 1 pick in most mocks and the way I look at it is that Joeckel has the potential to be a player along the lines of Joe Thomas or Jake Long.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars: Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon

The Jags could pick just about anyone at this point and they’d help their team. Jacksonville is a team of many needs and one of them being their pass-rush department—Dion Jordan should fill that void.

3. Oakland Raiders: Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida

Forget Geno Smith; Hello Matt Flynn. The Raiders will not be drafting a quarterback with their first selection in the draft as the team acquired Matt Flynn from the Seattle Seahawks on April 1. Oakland severely needs some help on their defensive line and Sharrif Floyd should add some much-needed play-making abilities to their defense.

4. Philadelphia Eagles: Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama

Hands down, Dee Milliner is this year’s best cornerback. Philadelphia parted ways with cornerbacks Nnamdi Asomugha and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie this offseason and will look at Dee Milliner to be the team’s future No. 1 corner.

5. Detroit Lions: Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan

Year after year, we say the same thing: The Detroit Lions need help along the offensive line; they need to find a way to protect Matthew Stafford. Well, hopefully Eric Fisher out of Central Michigan can be that guy.

6. Cleveland Browns: Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State

Xavier Rhodes would be an ideal selection for the Cleveland Browns as their search for a reliable cornerback to play opposite of Joe Haden would come to an end.

7. Arizona Cardinals: Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma

It doesn’t matter if it’s Carson Palmer or Geno Smith playing quarterback for the Arizona Cardinals—that quarterback is going to need protection. With that being said, the Cardinals have one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL as they gave up a whopping 58 sacks in 2012. Arizona desperately needs stability on their offensive line.

8. Buffalo Bills: Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia

I’m not saying that I approve or disapprove of this pick, but the Buffalo Bills need a quarterback and Geno Smith is arguably this year’s best available quarterback prospect.

9. New York Jets: Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia

Rex Ryan is always looking for a pass-rush to add to his incredibly aggressive and pressure-oriented defense— Georgia’s Jarvis Jones should fit in just fine with the Jest.

10. Tennessee Titans: Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama

Alabama’s Chance Warmack is the second best player in this year’s draft. For the Titans sitting at No. 10 overall and looking for help at offensive guard, this couldn’t be a much better scenario.

11. San Diego Chargers: Barkevious Mingo, OLB, LSU

With Shaun Phillips still unsigned, the Chargers will gladly settle with Barkevious Mingo at No. 11. The Chargers will then move into the future with two young and very explosive pass-rushers in Melvin Ingram and Barkevious Mingo.

12. Miami Dolphins: Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU

In many draft big boards, experts have Ezekiel Ansah listed inside of the top 10—which clearly makes this a value pick for the Dolphins. Granted, Miami needs help at cornerback despite signing Brent Grimes, but there aren’t any corners worthy of the 12th overall pick at this point. With that being said, Ansah has a unique combination of size and athleticism and should bolster Miami’s defense.

13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington

Unlike the Miami Dolphins, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers desperately need a cornerback. Desmond Trufant might be a bit of a reach at 13th overall, but he will fill one of Tampa’s glaring holes on their defense.

14. Carolina Panthers: Star Lotuleli, DT, Utah

Once regarding as a top 10 draft pick, Star Lotuleli’s stock has dipped a bit due to his detected heart condition. I like to compare Lotuleli to someone along the lines of Kevin Williams of the Minnesota Vikings. Carolina really needs help along their defensive front and assuming if Lotuleli is healthy, he should be quite the stud for the Panthers.

15. New Orleans Saints: Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina

Jonathan Cooper offers quite the value as he can play either offensive guard or center. The New Orleans Saints need to have an excellent offensive line in order to succeed with the likes of Drew Brees at quarterback.

16. St. Louis Rams: Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia

It’s about time Sam Bradford gets some help—Tavon Austin has the potential to be a top tier wide receiver in years to come. Austin is one of the most explosive offensive skill-positions that I have ever scouted and should make quite the lethal duo with Bradford at quarterback.

Continue to Page: 1 2 3

Tags: 2013 NFL Draft, DeAndre Hopkins, Mock Draft, Sam Montgomery

22 Responses to “2013 NFL Mock Draft: Tony Santorsa (4/3)”

1. Lloyd says:

I really don’t understand why I keep seeing someone think the Saints will pick a Guard in the first round. That makes absolutely no sense what so ever. Their defense needs as much help as it can, everywhere, and the Saints have a top 3 tandem at Guard in the NFL. Picking a Guard is a luxury pick that the Saints can’t afford. I would love to hear an explanation as to why the Saints would grab that Guard instead of Vaccaro or Ogletree.

2. Drew says:

enjoy the picks you have for the dolphins, would be very pleased if the draft played out that way.

3. Looking at this mock I’d prefur a pass rusher, DE or DT with the 29 and Markus Wheaton WR at 59. No disrespect to Sam Montgomery but we are pretty solid at the LB positions right now and with our limited picks Bill should address priority needs.. Having worked with this mock I’m not sure Wheaton will slide to 59, but whatever. Plus this being only a 2 rd mock I’d like to see what Tony had in mind for the third?

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Hard to know if Wheaton will be there at #59, but if the WR Sanders deal happens, which I now think it will, then BB may, trade #59 for a 3d and a 5th.

4. Russell Easterbrooks says:

Looking over Tony’s draft board, I think the Patriots draft:

#29- DT Jesse Williams
    #59- OG/C Barrett Jones
    #91- To the Steelers , for WR Emmanuel Sanders, Contract with 3.5 mil in cap money this year, and a 3yr deal.
    7th- CB Brandon McGee
    7th- RB theo Riddick

• patsfan says:

what is your thought process on taking a RB in the 7th? We seem to have good depth at that position.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Theo was a WR before changing to RB. If we were to loose Ridley to injury for the year, we need depth, and a guy with good hands .

• jim r says:

This looks like a patriots type of draft. They will also hit on a couple of ufa

• kdog says:

OK I’ll bite as well:
      29: DT Jesse Williams, Bama
      59: WR Markus Wheaton, Ore St.
      91: LB Jeff Bostic, Fla

7th round CB like McGee – sure. Other 7th rounder? I’m not knowledgeable enough to have an opinion.

• I like Jesse Williams but even given Jones apparent talent I really think Bill should target a DB or WR at 59. The WR would be addressed with Sanders deal you suggest, which I would approve of. That leaves the DB but I’d be unhappy if he waited until a 7th to address such a need.
      It’s looking less and less likely any deal will be made for Mallett so I’m coming around to the idea BB will trade back the 29 as you have suggested often before. With the depth this year, as you have pointed out, it could work well in our favor.
      As for Riddick, your reasoning is sound as usual but I’ll have to look this guy up. You sure are keeping me busy.
      By the way Russell, what do you think of the QB Rogers, from Vandy? Would he be worthy of a draft pick or strictly a FA?

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I like QB Rodgers, but with so few picks, hard to take him. As an UDFA I would grab him, But with Kafka, and Mallett there is no room for another QB. If mallett stays he will get alot of work this pre-season.

I think Barrett Jones will NOT be on the board at #59 , but this mock had him there. I would most likely go with OG/T Brian Winters, but a CB would be good, but hard to know who will be on the board. I like CB Micah Hyde very much as a 3d pick, not sure about 2nd, but he would be on the board.
        I’m still looking at the Trade options, if BB can get DT Jesse Williams at #29 , and the Emmanuel Sanders deal happens, he most likely will trade #59 for a 3d and a 5th.
        That would have the Patriots draft looking like;
        #29 Jesse Williams
        #59 traded for a 3d and 5th
        #91 to Steelers For WR Sanders
        3d- CB Micah Hayde
        5th- WR Mark Harrison
        7th -OG Jeff Baca
        7th- RB Theo Reddick

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

There are lots of options with these last 4 picks with my suggestion, could go;
          3d- Micah Hyde
          5th- OG Braden Hansen, OT Brennan Williams , OG/C T.J. Johnson, DE Joe Kruger, or ???
          7th- CB Brandon McGee
          7th- Theo Riddick

• cc says:

I’d go with most of that. But if I’m letting the Steelers take our third rounder being an AFC opponent(as long as a Jessie Williams type is Sewn-Up), I’m also looking to sneak in directly after, use a next year pick, and specifically jump in ahead of them, in that third round!
          Take more talent for us now.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Tampa cut back-up QB Dan Orlovsky today, opening the door for a Mallett trade?? It cleared 1.2 mil of cap space as well.

• cc says:

I’d love it!
          Just getting the 3rd alone back is worth it!
          Id take that 3rd back and the absolute best pick possible NEXT YEAR. I wouldn’t want a lesser pick this year included instead, unless we were to unload someone else on them as well.

• carlo strada says:

I like jesse williams. How much push on the enemy Ofensive line, could jesse alonside wilfork create. Morover, ive always liked williams as for long tearm replacing an aging wilfork. The other prospect belichik could look for replacing wilfork is next year louis nix.

5. ron says:

i like the fisher pick for the lions but i don’t think they will draft a second lineman in round two. they have other needs at DE, WR and the eternal CB that need addressing.

6. Ira Ineptio says:

I could live with the Lions taking two solid OL if the picks fell that way… They could use the help, and Fisher and Joekel don’t seem to be the “project” Lane Johnson might be.

However, I’d be happier with the pick if Fisher and Joekel were off the board. I’d rather take a project in Ziggy than Johnson at 5. The Millinettes would likely take Ziggy in R1 and then I’d love Margus Hunt or Datone Jones in R2, making that D-line young and potentially crazy good.

I think there will be plenty of options for the line in Rs 3-7. Maybe Frederick, Armstead, Long, etc. if they drop…

Still need to address OLB-WR-DB

7. BromoSapien says:

Sam Montgomery comes out with reports of him being lazy, unmotivated, and defiant. He straight up said he takes entire games off. While Belichick does not have a problem taking players with “character” issues (see Hernandez, Aaron and Dennard, Alfonzo), he will never take players who just don’t care. Say what you will about Patriots players, even the scrubs on the practice squad give their all for football and the team. Sam Montgomery does not fit the Patriots way.

8. Jagsman says:

why would the jags not take a cb in the 1st 2 rounds? dee/rhodes and arthur brown or banks would be best. i mean ball and molden are starting at cb for us.