2013 NFL Mock Draft: Tony Santorsa (4/3)

17. Pittsburgh Steelers: Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee

I have Cordarrelle Patterson listed as the 11th best player in this year’s class and with the Steelers sitting at 17th overall, this is quite the snag. With Pittsburgh losing Mike Wallace via free agency this offseason, the team will now need to bolster their wide receiver corps in order to compete in the AFC North.

18. Dallas Cowboys: Kenny Vaccaro, FS, Texas

The best available safety in this year’s draft: Kenny Vaccaro. There is no question that Vaccaro is the best available player at this point of the draft and the Dallas Cowboys should have no problem drafting him as he’ll add an Eric Weddle-like presence to their secondary.

19. New York Giants: Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State

All Giants fans should be excited about this selection as Bjoern Werner has top 10 talent and potential. Werner is a well-rounded defensive end that can most certainly get after the passer but still is able to play the run fairly well.

20. Chicago Bears: Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia

You might feel that this is quite the stretch for the Bears considering his recent DUI arrest and his suspension earlier last season, but there’s no considering that Alec Ogletree can play. He’ll bring plenty of athleticism to Chicago’s defense in upcoming years.

21. Cincinnati Bengals: Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M

This is nothing more than a value pick for the Bengals. Damontre Moore is considered first-round talent and should bring plenty of speed and strength to an already fierce defensive line in Cincinnati.

22. St. Louis Rams (via Washington Redskins): Jonathan Cyprien, SS, FIU

I really like this pick for the St. Louis Rams. The Rams need a strong safety more than anything at this point of the draft and sitting at 22nd overall, Jonathan Cyprien is the best available.

23. Minnesota Vikings: Keenan Allen, WR, California

It’s pretty clear that the Vikings are looking to upgrade their passing attack entering 2013 with the likes of signing Greg Jennings—but it’s not going to stop there. Keenan Allen is one of the top wide receivers in this year’s draft and he’ll just be yet another weapon in Christian Ponder’s arsenal.

24. Indianapolis Colts: Datone Jones, DE, UCLA

Exit Dwight Freeney; Enter Datone Jones. The transition from Freeney to Jones should be seamless for the Indianapolis Colts as Jones as the potential to be a very productive defensive end for many years to come.

25. Minnesota Vikings (Via Seattle Seahawks): Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri

This is an absolute steal for the Minnesota Vikings. Despite being 6’3″ and weighing nearly 300 lbs., Sheldon Richardson is extremely quick off of the snap and should be an upgrade over Letroy Guion.

26. Green Bay Packers: Matt Elam, SS, Florida

As the Green By Packers moved on without Charles Woodson, it’s time to add some depth to their secondary by bringing in Florida’s Matt Elam. Elam is a very physical safety that has a true nose for the ball with his amazing football instinct  He should be a perfect fit for the Packers.

27. Houston Texans: Robert Woods, WR, USC

The Texans need to find someone to play opposite of Andre Johnson—he can’t keep going it all on his own. With that being said, Robert Woods is a wise decision at this point for Houston.

28. Denver Broncos: Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State

It’s time for Denver to bolster their defensive line as their interior defensive line simply wasn’t all that spectacular a year ago. Johnathan Hankins is a very intriguing prospect out of Ohio State and has some similarities to Seattle Seahawks defensive tackle Brandon Mebane.

29. New England Patriots: DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson

I am in the school of thought that Bill Belichick addresses needs in bulk and as the team is restructuring their wide receiver corps, it leads me to believe that the Patriots will look at some wide receiver help in the draft. DeAndre Hopkins is incredibly athletic as he has top tier body control and has a reliable pair of hands—he has the potential to make a solid impact during his rookie season.

30. Atlanta Falcons: Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame

Tony Gonzalez might be returning for yet another go-around with the Falcons, but it’s time that Atlanta starts to look forward into the future—Tony Eifert should be that guy.

31. San Francisco 49ers: Eric Reid, FS, LSU

The 49ers are my very early Super Bowl favorites as they simply don’t have too many needs at this point. With that being said, the 49ers need to add some depth in their secondary and at this point, Eric Reid out of LSU is the best available player.

32. Baltimore Ravens: Kevin Minter, LB, LSU

It’s time to find Ray Lewis’ replacement. Granted, Manti Te’o is still available but I find him to be a rather risky draft pick. With that being said, LSU’s Kevin Minter is probably the safest bet here for the Ravens.

Continue to Page: 1 2 3

Tags: 2013 NFL Draft, DeAndre Hopkins, Mock Draft, Sam Montgomery

22 Responses to “2013 NFL Mock Draft: Tony Santorsa (4/3)”

1. Lloyd says:

I really don’t understand why I keep seeing someone think the Saints will pick a Guard in the first round. That makes absolutely no sense what so ever. Their defense needs as much help as it can, everywhere, and the Saints have a top 3 tandem at Guard in the NFL. Picking a Guard is a luxury pick that the Saints can’t afford. I would love to hear an explanation as to why the Saints would grab that Guard instead of Vaccaro or Ogletree.

2. Drew says:

enjoy the picks you have for the dolphins, would be very pleased if the draft played out that way.

3. Looking at this mock I’d prefur a pass rusher, DE or DT with the 29 and Markus Wheaton WR at 59. No disrespect to Sam Montgomery but we are pretty solid at the LB positions right now and with our limited picks Bill should address priority needs.. Having worked with this mock I’m not sure Wheaton will slide to 59, but whatever. Plus this being only a 2 rd mock I’d like to see what Tony had in mind for the third?

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Hard to know if Wheaton will be there at #59, but if the WR Sanders deal happens, which I now think it will, then BB may, trade #59 for a 3d and a 5th.

4. Russell Easterbrooks says:

Looking over Tony’s draft board, I think the Patriots draft:

#29- DT Jesse Williams
    #59- OG/C Barrett Jones
    #91- To the Steelers , for WR Emmanuel Sanders, Contract with 3.5 mil in cap money this year, and a 3yr deal.
    7th- CB Brandon McGee
    7th- RB theo Riddick

• patsfan says:

what is your thought process on taking a RB in the 7th? We seem to have good depth at that position.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Theo was a WR before changing to RB. If we were to loose Ridley to injury for the year, we need depth, and a guy with good hands .

• jim r says:

This looks like a patriots type of draft. They will also hit on a couple of ufa

• kdog says:

OK I’ll bite as well:
      29: DT Jesse Williams, Bama
      59: WR Markus Wheaton, Ore St.
      91: LB Jeff Bostic, Fla

7th round CB like McGee – sure. Other 7th rounder? I’m not knowledgeable enough to have an opinion.

• I like Jesse Williams but even given Jones apparent talent I really think Bill should target a DB or WR at 59. The WR would be addressed with Sanders deal you suggest, which I would approve of. That leaves the DB but I’d be unhappy if he waited until a 7th to address such a need.
      It’s looking less and less likely any deal will be made for Mallett so I’m coming around to the idea BB will trade back the 29 as you have suggested often before. With the depth this year, as you have pointed out, it could work well in our favor.
      As for Riddick, your reasoning is sound as usual but I’ll have to look this guy up. You sure are keeping me busy.
      By the way Russell, what do you think of the QB Rogers, from Vandy? Would he be worthy of a draft pick or strictly a FA?

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I like QB Rodgers, but with so few picks, hard to take him. As an UDFA I would grab him, But with Kafka, and Mallett there is no room for another QB. If mallett stays he will get alot of work this pre-season.

I think Barrett Jones will NOT be on the board at #59 , but this mock had him there. I would most likely go with OG/T Brian Winters, but a CB would be good, but hard to know who will be on the board. I like CB Micah Hyde very much as a 3d pick, not sure about 2nd, but he would be on the board.
        I’m still looking at the Trade options, if BB can get DT Jesse Williams at #29 , and the Emmanuel Sanders deal happens, he most likely will trade #59 for a 3d and a 5th.
        That would have the Patriots draft looking like;
        #29 Jesse Williams
        #59 traded for a 3d and 5th
        #91 to Steelers For WR Sanders
        3d- CB Micah Hayde
        5th- WR Mark Harrison
        7th -OG Jeff Baca
        7th- RB Theo Reddick

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

There are lots of options with these last 4 picks with my suggestion, could go;
          3d- Micah Hyde
          5th- OG Braden Hansen, OT Brennan Williams , OG/C T.J. Johnson, DE Joe Kruger, or ???
          7th- CB Brandon McGee
          7th- Theo Riddick

• cc says:

I’d go with most of that. But if I’m letting the Steelers take our third rounder being an AFC opponent(as long as a Jessie Williams type is Sewn-Up), I’m also looking to sneak in directly after, use a next year pick, and specifically jump in ahead of them, in that third round!
          Take more talent for us now.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Tampa cut back-up QB Dan Orlovsky today, opening the door for a Mallett trade?? It cleared 1.2 mil of cap space as well.

• cc says:

I’d love it!
          Just getting the 3rd alone back is worth it!
          Id take that 3rd back and the absolute best pick possible NEXT YEAR. I wouldn’t want a lesser pick this year included instead, unless we were to unload someone else on them as well.

• carlo strada says:

I like jesse williams. How much push on the enemy Ofensive line, could jesse alonside wilfork create. Morover, ive always liked williams as for long tearm replacing an aging wilfork. The other prospect belichik could look for replacing wilfork is next year louis nix.

5. ron says:

i like the fisher pick for the lions but i don’t think they will draft a second lineman in round two. they have other needs at DE, WR and the eternal CB that need addressing.

6. Ira Ineptio says:

I could live with the Lions taking two solid OL if the picks fell that way… They could use the help, and Fisher and Joekel don’t seem to be the “project” Lane Johnson might be.

However, I’d be happier with the pick if Fisher and Joekel were off the board. I’d rather take a project in Ziggy than Johnson at 5. The Millinettes would likely take Ziggy in R1 and then I’d love Margus Hunt or Datone Jones in R2, making that D-line young and potentially crazy good.

I think there will be plenty of options for the line in Rs 3-7. Maybe Frederick, Armstead, Long, etc. if they drop…

Still need to address OLB-WR-DB

7. BromoSapien says:

Sam Montgomery comes out with reports of him being lazy, unmotivated, and defiant. He straight up said he takes entire games off. While Belichick does not have a problem taking players with “character” issues (see Hernandez, Aaron and Dennard, Alfonzo), he will never take players who just don’t care. Say what you will about Patriots players, even the scrubs on the practice squad give their all for football and the team. Sam Montgomery does not fit the Patriots way.

8. Jagsman says:

why would the jags not take a cb in the 1st 2 rounds? dee/rhodes and arthur brown or banks would be best. i mean ball and molden are starting at cb for us.