2013 NFL Mock Draft: Tony Santorsa (4/20)

17. Pittsburgh Steelers: Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee

This seems to be a popular pick for the Steelers as they desperately need a wide receiver. With Mike Wallace leaving via free agency and signing with the Miami Dolphins, the Steelers need to find a replacement on the depth chart—Patterson has the potential to be that guy.

18. Dallas Cowboys: Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU

It seems like that the Dallas Cowboys will draft the best available player when it’s come to draft. With Ezekiel Ansah projected to go closer to No. 10 overall rather than closer to No. 20 overall, this selection is a value pick for the Cowboys.

19. New York Giants: Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State

Bjoern Werner has the potential to compliment Jason Pierre-Paul. However, Werner might not be as athletic as Pierre Paul—as J.P.P. is such a freak of nature—but he’s a well-rounded defensive end that’s solid at sacking the quarterback as well as being stout against the run.

20. Chicago Bears: Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame

Jay Cutler needs another weapon—plain and weapon. Considering that Brandon Marshall is an elite wide receiver, but simply cant’ do it all on his own, adding a tight end should compliment very nicely with Marshall on the outside.

21. Cincinnati Bengals: Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington

This year’s draft is rather deep with cornerbacks which indicates if you draft a cornerback at No. 21, you might be drafting a prospect that has the potential to be an top tier player. In this case, that’s exactly what the Cincinnati Bengals are getting by selection Washington’s Desmond Trufant.

22. St. Louis Rams (via WAS): Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama

Goodbye Steven Jackson and hello Eddie Lacy. It will be the start of a new era at running back for the St. Louis Rams in 2013.

23. Minnesota Vikings: Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia

Alec Ogletree is quite the versatile player as he can not only play on the inside but on the outside as well at the linebacker position. Out of a pure athletic standpoint, Ogletree is ranks at the top out of this year’s class—the Vikings should have no problem drafting the former Georgia Bulldog.

24. Indianapolis Colts: Datone Jones, DE, UCLA

There’s no question that the Indianapolis Colts need to find a replacement for Dwight Freeney and Datone Jones should be that guy. Out of all the defensive linemen available, Jones appears to have some of the most NFL-ready skills as well as having an NFL-ready frame—he should be a first-year impact kind of player.

25. Minnesota Vikings (via SEA): Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina

With Minnesota already bolstering their defense with the selection of Alec Ogletree, drafting yet another defensive player would be a wise decision for the Vikings. Sylvester Williams is arguably one of the most underrated defensive tackles available in the first round.

26. Green Bay Packers: DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson

This might come off of as little bit of a shocker for Packers fans, but the team did lose wide receiver Greg Jennings and they need to find a replacement. Having said that, DeAndre Hopkins is one of the top wide receiver prospects that this class has to offer and should fit in very nicely with Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay’s high-flying passing attack.

27. Houston Texans: D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama

The Houston Texans need an upgrade at right guard as Derek Newton simply isn’t getting the job done. With D.J. Fluker still on the board, he adds a lot of value to this selection for Houston.

28. Denver Broncos: Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State

I have a feeling that the Broncos would trade out of this pick considering the way that the board is going. However, if Denver does choose to stay at No. 28 overall then selecting Mississippi State’s Johnthan Banks should add some much needed depth to their secondary.

29. New England Patriots: Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee

Justin Hunter is a raw talent. However, Hunter stands in at 6’4″ and runs a sub 4.5 forty, he should be quite the addition to New England’s reconstructed wide receiver corps.

30. Atlanta Falcons: Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State

Jamar Taylor is a pretty well-rounded cornerback as he plays well in both man and zone coverage. The Falcons need a cornerback and this pick should be an easy decision for Thomas Dimitroff.

31. San Francisco 49ers: Eric Reid, FS, LSU

One of San Francisco’s biggest needs is free safety. With LSU’s Eric Reid being available at this point of the draft, he should fit nicely in the 49ers’ defense.

32. Baltimore Ravens: Manti Te’o, ILB, Notre Dame

Putting aside all of the publicity that is surround Notre Dame’s Manti Te’o, he is still one impressive inside linebacker prospect. With Ray Lewis retiring, the Ravens need to fill the hole that’s in the middle of their defense.

Continue to Page: 1 2 3

Tags: 2013 NFL Draft, 2013 NFL Mock Draft, Justin Hunter, Luke Joeckel, Mock Drafts

24 Responses to “2013 NFL Mock Draft: Tony Santorsa (4/20)”

1. merrittsol says:

Pats DEs a little underrated. Chandler, Ninkovich, Francis, even Bequette may show some more improvement this year. Ninkovich is a playmaker. However the push up the middle is an area that needs big improvement. Would love to see Pats get Williams. Along with Kelly DT ( and Armstead DE ) that looks like a D line that is a step up from last year.
    At WR hope Pats look at Wheaton.Then , Swope and Dobson who they may realistically have a shot at after first round.
    CB intrigues with Taylor and Hayden.
    Really hope they address these publicly perceived needs.
    Then again Bill may make his first three picks: C, OG and TE.

2. floridated says:

Patriots have a young good team and only missing a few pieces to get back to the Super Bowl. Wide receiver and corner back is what is missing fo right now. If Pats could trade up to get the most highly talked about shut down corner Milliner from Alabama and a wide receiver I think that puts them ahead of their competition in the AFC Denver. Milliner is said to be a shut down corner that along with Talib would free up som of the secondary to either ply the run or blitz. Instant pressure on qb.

• Chances BB will trade up when he has only 5 picks (2 in the 7th) seems darn unlikely but never know. Nice thought though. I think a trade down is far more likely, that way he can address team needs with good prospects going into the 4th rd this year.

3. Tommy G. says:

I really hope we don’t pass on Jamar Taylor. What a player.

He gives us the insurance if Dennard or Talib go down to injury so we can keep Arrington inside, and if Talib walks next year…Taylor and Dennard will be the new tandem for years to come. On the CHEAP.

• AM says:

Agreed–especially with fantastic WR depth in this class, I’d think going CB with the first pick is the wisest course if Hunter is available.

• Agreed, though not sure why Taylor is suddenly rising? My hope would still be that Trufant makes it to our 29.

• AM says:

I would prefer Trufant to Taylor, but would be content with either. Trufant himself has also been a fast riser. He was considered a mid-to-late second round pick at the end of the college season. I think that the Senior Bowl (rightly or wrongly) put people on to both of them, and good Combine performances accelerated their stock in both cases. Among the public, that is–I’m not sure how much the teams themselves alter their boards in response to those items.

• That sounds reasonable AM though I heard lots about Trufant immeaditly after the sr bowl and combine but not so much about Taylor. Wondered if something other happened that I missed, and I do miss lots?

• AM says:

lol I don’t think you missed anything. The prospects who play in “lesser” conferences, at smaller schools, or out of big media markets always take a little while to climb the boards, with the exception of the splashy, Steve McNair-type prospects. But once one draftnik gets onto them, the rest tend to hop on the bandwagon. I’d bet that’s what happened with Taylor.

He may also be suffering from a bit of “Stephon Gilmore Syndrome,” where he starts to look better and better as other prospects’ issues start to come to light (think Millner’s injury).

4. MaineMan says:

Tall, reasonably fast, developmental WRs who drop the ball 12% of the time are a dime a dozen. Why would the Pats draft one in the 1st round when they need competent WRs who can contribute on a regular basis immediately, if not sooner?

Wheaton (who is as fast and athletic as Hunter and a much more polished route-runner) will almost certainly be off the board by #59 – and I suspect he may not even last until #29. If the Pats can’t trade down from #29 into the early 2nd, I think they’d take Wheaton if they take a WR at all there. Second choice would be Jamar Taylor (excels in both man and zone coverage).

And, yeah, if Jesse Williams is still on the board at #59, that’s pretty much a no-brainer over Okafor (I’m still not convinced that yet another pass-rushing DE is all that high a priority for the Pats when the interior DL is still so thin beyond Wilfork).

• AM says:

Agreed on Hunter. A sure-handed receiver is key; Chad Jackson and Bethel Johnson had plenty of speed. I don’t think Wheaton is a first-rounder–more of a mid-second–but he’s a much better fit than Hunter.

• Once again I agree with AM about Wheaton (my personal favorite) and I’d be very happy if a trade down landed him with a mid second. At 59 I’d be happy with Okafor and thrilled with Williams who along side Wilfolk will crush the pockets of the offense. Pressure in any QB’s face is totally disruptive. Okafor rushing from the edge would still be an improvement giving depth and insurance. In short I’ll take either.

• AM says:

Personally, I’d like to see a Wheaton-Dobson combo in the second and third rounds. One speedy outside receiver, one big body with decent speed and great hands. Add in Trufant or Taylor in the first round (or Bjorn Werner, if he should fall that far), and it would be a dream draft.

• Lot of guys like yourself would like to double dip in WR and if we trade down it might happen but then that means Trufant wasn’t there. Dobson, your big body receicer, wouldn’t he be somewhat redundant given the TE crew we have? He would help with downfield blocking no doubt. How about a small speedy WR like Ace Sanders from SC? Somesay he’s a poor mans Tavon Austin? But really I’d prefur some D-line help as I’m not putting all my money and on Armsted and Kelly.

• AM says:

To be honest, I have been so enthused about Dobson that I am probably overrating him a bit at this point. :D But one of the reasons I like him so much is that he has a lot of experience at the X receiver spot, which is where I think he will have to play in the pros. He isn’t a DeSean Jackson-type burner, but he has the strength, height, and just enough speed to be consistently successful on the outside. He might be a little duplicative with Hernandez (though not completely), but that would free Hernandez up to work the inside more with Gronkowski. He (or Wheaton) will at least demand some safety help, and keep defenses honest.

I do agree, though, that if the choice is coming away with two quality WRs or one quality WR plus one quality CB, the CB selection is almost mandatory. If Trufant, Hayden, and Taylor are all off the board at #29, I’d advocate trading back, and maybe looking towards a second or third round replacement (I personally like Robert Alford). But if any of those three are available at #29, pick him, and let the chips fall where they may.

I also do think Ace Sanders is an interesting choice–smaller guy, but lightning quick; a nice all-purpose weapon. He might be a rich man’s Danny Woodhead, and I think he would be a great addition. I wouldn’t pull the trigger on him until the sixth round or so, though, and I do think they need to get an outside guy as well. Wouldn’t mind seeing them trade both the seventh round picks to move up and get him.

5. Bobthebuilder says:

How can everyone want Jesse Williams?

• acm says:

because the need to give an aging Wilfork a breather and find his eventual replacement is very obvious?

• Not sure why Bob has this attitude about Williams and not sure it matters because if he is on the board at 59 no way BB will not take him, just look at his drafting history. He loves big athletic DT’s. I wouldn’t even be surprised if Bill takes him at 29.

6. Russell Easterbrooks says:

No-way we pass on Jesse Williams Twice?

7. jim r says:

If it falls like this Pats should go with Carradine-29 Jesse williams -59 then corner in the third. developmental wr’s in 7th

• cc says:

In this scenario I’d take both Okafor DE/OLB & DT Jessie Williams in the late 2nd and garner an extra pick for moving back, then look for Da’Rick Rogers or other best scenario WR with the #91 3rd rounder-knowing I can move up for it, by using my free aforementioned above pick for moving back if I need to.

• Billy C. says:

That’s exactly my thoughts when I read the article.

• I’d go along with jim r here if all the best CB’s are off the board but again my thinking is, if they are, Bill will trade down. Just to much depth this year not to.

8. cc says:

Sorry buddy; but in your scenario, I take Jamal Taylor (CB). Way better pick & need.
    Also, you took Alex Oakafor DE Texas. He’s a great option sure, & id love too see him in a Patriot uniform. …but you left DT Jessie Williams on the board. …? End of the second…..? Williams still on the board….?
    You musta’ been smoking something when you laid out this one.