2013 NFL Mock Draft: Dan Hope’s Final Projections

79. Pittsburgh Steelers: Keenan Allen, WR, California

Still considered a late first-round pick by some, a draft slide is more likely for California wide receiver Keenan Allen as he faces some serious questions about his health (lingering knee injury) and speed (4.71-second 40-yard dash at his pro day, per NFL.com). That said, if he manages to fall this far in the draft, he would be a great value selection and a good addition to add some size and physicality at wide receiver for the Steelers.

80. Dallas Cowboys: David Amerson, FS/CB, North Carolina State

North Carolina State’s David Amerson was a big playmaker at cornerback at North Carolina State, but a tough junior season hurt his draft stock considerably. He is great value, however, in the middle of Round 3, and with his size, athleticism, tackling and ball skills, he projects very well to playing the free safety position in the Cowboys’ new Tampa 2 defense.

81. New York Giants: Khaseem Greene, OLB, Rutgers

The New York Giants need to add playmakers to their linebacker corps. Rutgers’ Khaseem Greene is an athletic linebacker who is a consistently playmaker as a tackler in space, a skilled coverage linebacker and a hard hitter. Greene is tremendous value as a Round 3 selection, and could be an upgrade at either outside linebacker spot, addressing one of the team’s greatest areas of need.

82. Miami Dolphins (from Chicago Bears): Bennie Logan, DT, LSU

The Miami Dolphins have a very good starting duo of defensive tackles in Randy Starks and Paul Soliai, but have very little depth behind them and both players are slated to become unrestricted free agents following the 2013 season. The Dolphins would be smart to add a young player like Logan, an athletic interior lineman who can add value as an inside pass-rusher and penetrator.

83. Minnesota Vikings: Da’Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech

The Minnesota Vikings need to add some size and speed at the wide receiver position on the outside, which makes Tennessee Tech’s Da’Rick Rogers well worth a shot in Round 3. A 6’2”, 217-pound, physical wideout who can go up and get the football but also has intriguing quickness and agility, Rogers will likely drop due to character concerns which forced him to transfer out of Tennessee before his senior season, but he could end up being a steal if he can stay out of trouble off the field.

84. Cincinnati Bengals: Reid Fragel, OT, Ohio State

As Andre Smith remains unsigned, the Cincinnati Bengals might have to think about using one of their early-round draft picks on a right tackle. Ohio State’s Reid Fragel is a rising prospect with the athleticism and length to develop into a very good NFL right tackle, and he worked out with the Bengals on Monday according to Pro Football Talk.

85. Washington Redskins: Shamarko Thomas, SS, Syracuse

The Washington Redskins could really use two new starters at safety, so even with drafting a free safety in Round 2, adding a strong safety in Round 3 would be a smart decision. Syracuse’s Shamarko Thomas is an undersized but instinctive and fast safety who can be a playmaker in run support and be an upgrade in coverage over Brandon Meriweather in coverage.

86. Indianapolis Colts: Travis Frederick, C/G, Wisconsin

The Indianapolis Colts have made some key upgrades to their offensive line in free agency, but could still be in the market for upgrades at both center and right guard. Wisconsin’s Travis Frederick would be a good value investment in Round 3 who has the ability to play either spot on the Colts’ interior offensive line.

87. Seattle Seahawks: Kyle Long, OL, Oregon

The Seattle Seahawks need to revamp the right side of their offensive line. Oregon’s Kyle Long would be a great addition, as a high-upside offensive lineman who had limited college football experience, but has a great combination of footwork, strength and size, and projects as a potential starter at both right tackle and guard.

88. Green Bay Packers: Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin

The Green Bay Packers still lack a feature back, and can get great value on a productive, durable runner with in-state ties by selecting Wisconsin’s Montee Ball in the late third round.

89. Houston Texans: Michael Buchanan, OLB, Illinois

After losing Connor Barwin to free agency, adding another pass-rushing outside linebacker to the rotation would be a smart investment. Michael Buchanan, who formed an effective pass-rushing tandem two years ago at Illinois with Whitney Mercilus, would be a good choice late in Round 3.

90. Denver Broncos: William Gholston, DE, Michigan State

In terms of upside and value, Michigan State defensive end William Gholston is a terrific choice as late third-round pick. He could add more much-needed depth at defensive end, while he has big developmental given his size and quickness as both an outside and interior rusher.

PROJECTED TRADE: The New England Patriots trade the No. 91 overall selection to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for the No. 112 and No. 126 overall selections.

91. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (from New England Patriots): Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers need to add a receiving playmaker at the tight end position, and Cincinnati’s Travis Kelce is good value late in Round 3. With the Atlanta Falcons in position at the No. 92 overall pick to select Kelce, it would make sense for the Buccaneers to trade up ahead of them to select him, while the Patriots would likely be looking to trade down in this scenario given they currently have no selections in Rounds 4-6.

92. Atlanta Falcons: Lavar Edwards, DE, LSU

Although a rotational player at LSU, Lavar Edwards has very good potential as an NFL defensive end, given his size, athleticism, ability to rush off the edge while also being a solid point-of-attack run defender. Edwards could be a surprise selection in Round 3, and would be a good fit as a rotational pass-rusher for the Falcons.

93. San Francisco 49ers (from Carolina Panthers): Vance McDonald, TE, Rice

The San Francisco 49ers have one of the NFL’s best tight ends in Vernon Davis, but could use a replacement for Delanie Walker who they can use as an H-back and out wide as another playmaker in their passing game.

Rice’s Vance McDonald fits the bill, as a high-upside tight end prospect with the size and athleticism to be a true downfield threat up the middle, but who is also a quick, shifty dynamic player who can make plays as a runner and receiver out of the backfield.

94. Baltimore Ravens: Stedman Bailey, WR, West Virginia

After trading Anquan Boldin, the Baltimore Ravens are in need of a wide receiver in this year’s draft. West Virginia’s Stedman Bailey would be a good fit. Bailey is a small but physical receiver who is also a very good route-runner and quick in the open field. He can play both outside and in the slot even with his size limitations, and is good value as a playmaker late in Round 3.

95. Houston Texans (compensatory selection): Chris Faulk, OT, LSU

The Derek Newton experiment at right tackle was a failure, so the Houston Texans should be looking for an upgrade. LSU’s Chris Faulk is coming off of a torn ACL, but when healthy, he is a powerful run blocker and efficient pass-blocker with the length, strength and footwork that projects to being a very good starting right tackle in the NFL.

96. Kansas City Chiefs (compensatory selection): Kevin Reddick, ILB, North Carolina

The Kansas City Chiefs need an upgrade next to Derrick Johnson at inside linebacker. North Carolina’s Kevin Reddick is not a spectacular athlete or playmaker, but is a solid, instinctive tackler and run-stopper who would be good value late in Round 3.

97. Tennessee Titans (compensatory selection): Leon McFadden, CB, San Diego State

The Tennessee Titans could use an upgrade at the nickel slot cornerback position, and could get a very good one at great value by selecting San Diego State’s Leon McFadden with the final pick of Day 2.

READ MORE MOCK DRAFTS

Continue to Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Tags: 2013 NFL Draft, Bjoern Werner, Geno Smith, Jordan Poyer, Luke Joeckel, Mock Drafts, Robert Woods

58 Responses to “2013 NFL Mock Draft: Dan Hope’s Final Projections”

1. joeisme says:

I cannot see the Packers having any interest in Moore. He is too slow for an OLB and too small to play 3/4 DE. He will struggle against good NFL linemen and would be a backup at best. The Packers can’t afford to waste a high pick on a backup.

2. Eric says:

I’d hate it if the Patriots passed on DJ Hayden, if he were still on the board.

3. PatsDJ says:

First off, I think Mallet is gone for a 2nd this year or next. If he was in this draft he would be the number 1 rated QB. I know he hasn’t played much, but the talent is there. To many teams neeed QBs now rather than later.
    Pick #29 will be traded.
    I would like to trade with the Jags for # 33 & #98.
    Or, with Atlanta for #60 and a 1st next year.
    Players I like in 2nd & 3rd rounds are:
    Kyle Long G/T Oregon
    Jonathon Banks CB Miss St
    Margus Hunt DE SMU
    Tyler Bray QB Tenn
    John Jenkins DT Georgia
    Christine Michael RB Texas A&M
    Terrance Williams WR Baylor
    This is not a great draft, I want more picks in the 2014 Draft.
    I think BB just wheels and deals to the tune of about 4-5 trades.

• I think your assesement of Mallett is pretty much on the mark and may very well come about. If it happens this year likely it will be late in the first round at earlyest. Teams looking for QB’s will see their options reduced by the second round. Also I like your list of prospects. Margus Hunt and Terrance Williams perk my intrest.
      Predicting 4-5 trades is bold, good for you!

• PatsDJ says:

I think BB showed what he really thinks of this years draft with the RFA signing of WR Saunders of the Steelers. Willing to give up his 3rd round pick. That would have left the Pats with 4 picks in 2013. This is why I think he has a deal in place for Ryan Mallet. BB almost has to trade, he just doesn’t have enough picks this year.

• Agree we don’t have enough picks.It is possable a trade for Mallett is in place but if so I expect it’s a conditional one where the trade partner is looking at a QB in the draft who if is not still available to them they would then activate the trade for Mallett. Otherwise why would everyone be silent about it? More likely I think teams are waiting to see if they can get someone in the second round they can develope in there own system. I’m just going by my gut, no inside info.

4. Guess it’s time to stick my neck out and make my picks. Here goes.
    Bill will trade down the #29 because his short list players are off the board. He gets a 2nd somewhere in the mid to low 40′s and a 4th rounder.

2#X Eric Reid ss
    2#59 Brandon Williams DT
    3#91 Leon McFadden cb
    4#X Aaron Dobson WR
    7#a Kenny Tate OLB/SS
    7#b Jordan Rogers QB

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I like Brandon Williams, Tate , and Rogers if Mallett is gone! I’m just going with what I know we have, 5 picks but know trades will give us more!

LB Sio Moore
      WR Markus Wheaton
      CB Jordan Poyer
      OG/C Barrett Jones
      DT Jared Smith

• Nuf Ced says:

Stop with Mallet…

Please. Just stop. It’s not happening

• I usually only go with what we have also but you convinced me that Bill will likely trade down the 29. Only guessing who will still be on the board and Reid seems very possable to me and think he would tighten up the secondary. McFadden though smallish would provide depth. As for Rogers I’d go for him regardless of Mallett who will be in his final yearnext year. Not to soon to cover that possability now, plus Rogers has shown signs of good upside.
        However it goes down it promases to be very intresting, can’t wait.

• jim r says:

That would work, Tate is interesting. Coming into this year he was rated pretty highly at the safety position and moved down to OLB. Lot of flexibility there

• acm says:

I can see Reid drop in the 2nd although I personally would prefer Thomas there. Not so sure about Mcfadden in late 3rd and especially Dobson in the 4th though. Dobson is more of a mid to late 2nd rounder, maybe, just maybe he drops to early 3rd but into the 4th? Very much doubt that.

It’s a very good set of players but I think a bit unrealistic. Also drafting a S early, thanks to mcCourty’s positional versatility, makes it imo unnecessary to spend another early pick on a CB – for a CB I’d rather look in the 7th in this scenario and spend that 91st pick on other needs – possibly trade it down for more options a bit later … depends on what value falls there really.

• AS for McCourty’s versatility he doesn’t have any though. He failed at badly at CB. He does a decent job at FS but a good SS like Reid, yes! I’m not impressed with any of the other saftys now on the team.

• MaineMan says:

I don’t understand why people keep claiming that McCourty “failed” at CB.

McCourty joined the Pats as an exceptional zone-read player (which is also why he’s so good at deep coverage safety). In his second season (the one without any off-season) the Pats switched to a primarily press-man coverage scheme and McCourty had never played press-man in his life (and it certainly didn’t help him that the Pats had basically nothing at deep safety to back him up). Still, by the Superbowl he was pretty much holding his own and he was okay at it last season.

• OK, have it your way McCortney can play CB. All you have to do is convince most of the rest of us on that.Even if he could I’d really, really like another decent prospect drafted, just in case.

• Jeff M says:

Zero chance Dobson makes it out of the 3rd round.

5. cc says:

Leaving (CB)’s both X.Rhodes & J.Taylor before and after, just to take an ankle injury potential not 100 % WR in R. Woods? That’s just kinda dumb I.Many.O..

6. kevin says:

Trade the 1 for a 2-4 this year to nab justin hunter he has a higher ceiling to excell and pull that safety to his side over the top. margus hunt for the second 2 he will excell as a chess peice in our defense and BB loves to give differnt looks between 3-4 and even fronts use our other picks to get some secondary.

• Nuf Ced says:

Justin Hunter drops 12%+ of the balls that he gets his hands on – no way would I touch a receiver that can’t catch

7. gutstring says:

Dan, how about adding a fourth round, now that the Patsies have two selections there in this mock?

8. Russell Easterbrooks says:

Know Bill will make some trades I am selesting my 5 players with that in mind, to be Patriots next year.
    Sio Moore LB
    Markus Wheaton WR
    Jordan Poyer CB
    Barrett Jones OG/C
    Jared Smith DT

• Russell you don’t give us any clues as to where these picks are to be taken. I only guss you think trade down #29 but if so will Poyer slide into the 3rd and Jones into 4th or are they two 3rds? Can you clearify please?

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I think there will be a number of trade moves, so I’m just picking the players I think will be Patroits after the draft. So i’m looking at it as, all these guys are before the 5th round. I only get 5 picks so I’m using guys i think Bill will draft. Good luck I like your Brandan Williams, I just went with Smith instead, it was close.

• kdog says:

Russell, what makes you think Wheaton? After reading about him I’m unsure b/c of size and durability issues. Then again, he’s similar in size to E Sanders. . .

but I’m with you on Sio and Barrett Jones. . . there’s so many CBs I think they might just see who falls. . . on the DLine I am lost.

I’ll come up with a pick-5 by Thursday.

• My 2 cents, Why some concern about Wheaton he has’t had any issues in collage I’m aware of? About D line, lots of depth well into the 4th rd likely. Still the higher a guy is taken the better player he is likely to be. Add to this that DE is also deep so if a player BB likes falls into range don’t be surprised if Bill grabs him he has a love of big athletic DT’s.

9. gutstring says:

Agree with Nuf re Sports Science…Sylvester the Younger was moving off the line before the C could finish his 3-ft hike to the QB’s hands…amazing quickness.

10. Russell Easterbrooks says:

Trade #29 to Tampa , #43, #112, and a 4th next year.
    #43- Markus Wheaton
    #59- Sio Moore
    #91- Micah Hyde
    #112- Jared Smith

• I see Russell has jumped on Sio Moore in his two scenarios here so far.I’m wondering if he is thinking best player or feels there is a need at LB? Perhaps if Sio is an upgrade on say Hightower, he feels Hightower could moveinto the RDE slot? Be interested in hearing Russell’s thinking regarding this choice.

• correction, I ment Hightower to the LDE.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I think Moore is a great cover LB, who can rush the passer, but is very strong with great hand use to get off blocks in the run game. Bill loves LBers, and I think Moore is a situational LB for now, unless there is an injury. He is stronger than DeVante Holloman who I like as well, and just better in the run game.
        I’m the only person I have heard calling for Moore as an early pick by the Patriots, but I think Bill likes him.

• Ken W says:

I think he is a good LB, but to say he is a good situational guy at a position that the Pats are pretty deep at right now plus they have Fletcher coming back who was playing really well in the preseason until he got hurt. So why would you spent a 1st round pick on a situational player?

1st and 2nd rounders should be impact starters for teams not situational players.

If he was there in the 2nd then maybe it would be worth it.

• acm says:

I think people may be underestimating the need for a quick, good in coverage, 3-down LB as that weakness is almost as glaring as the need for a WR and a player for the secondary (be it a S or a CB).

The Pats as of right now have only one 3-down backer in Mayo and two situational, stout vs the run, very similar to one another players like Spikes and Hightower. Another 3-down backer is needed to make that part of the team complete and that would improve the D by a mile, not just marginally.

I disagree that players like Brown or Moore are situational players – either one of those is likely to start in the WSL role leaving hightower and Spikes for the run stopping role in the middle. Also, let’s not forget Spikes’ contract is up next year and there are no guarantees he would be resigned as the presense of Hightower on the team hardly makes him irreplaceable.

I’d agree that players like Greene, Alonso, Holloman, klein etc would likely be situational players should they arrive but not the case with Brown or Moore, imo.

And Fletcher coming off an injury and still going thru his transition to LB is hardly more than a good back-up at this point.

Not saying we should spend a 1st rounder on a LB but I think the need for another 3-down player is going severely underestimated by people, who are focusing on CB and WR probably a bit too much than necessary.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Well said, the sports news clouds people’s thinking. WR and CB will be part of the draft, but OLB that can cover is important to a successful D. I like Brown and Sio Moore, I think Moore ia alittle stronger, but Brown is faster.

• Jeff M says:

I’d rather try Jelani Jenkins in the 4th/5th and maybe Kenny Tate in the 6th/7th for the sub LB roles than Sio Moore in the 2nd unless he’s ultimately replacing Spikes.

11. Rob says:

I like
    1. Jamar Taylor
    2. Markus Wheaton
    3. Trade for 112 and 126
    112. Aaron Dobson
    126. Jon Bostic

12. Jagsman says:

id go with dion jordan round 1, rhodes in the 2nd, and keenan allen in the 3rd.

13. Ken W says:

If it went this way I would go:

1. Xavier Rhodes CB
    2. Margus Hunt DE
    3. Trade with Tampa for 112 and 126

14. Nuf Ced says:

Heck the more I look at this I wouldn’t take Woods over Olgetree… If Williams or Olgletree are there at 29 please dear God don’t take a WR

• acm says:

I wouldn’t mind either of the Williams DTs – Jesse or Sylvester – but not a big fan of Ogletree, tbh. He sure is a physically gifted athlete but not a 1st round prospect at the 4-3 OLB position (they keep plugging him as an ILB but think he projects as a OLB in the NFL).

Only 4-3 OLB this year worthy of a 29th pick for me is Arthur Brown, who may or may not make it there. He has better instincts and is overall a more intelligent player than Ogletree, imo.
      Other than that, I’d rather go with Moore, Greene or Alonso, who I think project somewhere starting from mid 2nd to about mid 3rd.

• Nuf Ced says:

I see him as an inside replacement for Spikes who can’t cover; becomes a 3 down ILB for us

• You don’t draft a situationay player in the 1st, otherwise I too like Brown but given our shortage of picks and other pressing needs think it unlikely Brown will fit into Bill’s plans.

• CORRECTION, I think you were saying he would become a three down LB not a 3rd down LB as I interpeded you. If so my mistake and can understand that reasoning. Interesting thought!

15. Nuf Ced says:

If the Pats took Poyer over Jenkins or Hunt I would have punch a hole in my Sheetrock

16. Prime says:

My Mock Draft
    1. D.J. Hayden
    2. Da’rick Rodgers
    3. Josh Boyce

17. chris mcmahon says:

0% Sherrif Floyd lasts to 18 and dion jordan falls out of top 5

• joe says:

Finally someone who knows what their talking about. Hope always does the worst mock draft. And he says woods would be good value. Woods is one of the most over rated players in this years draft

18. Nuf Ced says:

After watching Sports Science on ESPN I want Sly Williams from UNC… Scary fast twitch and power

• Silvester is good prospect and as DT’s go I’d take either of the Williams’. As for Poyer there are several guys I would pass him over for, all depends on how things unfold. Please though don’t take it out on innocent sheetrock. lol.