2013 NFL Mock Draft: Dan Hope’s Final Projections

49. New York Giants: Justin Pugh, OT/G, Syracuse

The New York Giants could be in the market for an upgrade at right tackle, with David Diehl on the decline at 32 years old and entering the final year of his contract. Syracuse’s Justin Pugh is a rising prospect who would be a good choice to compete for a starting spot over on the right side with his pass-blocking ability, while he could also provide depth and/or competition at guard.

50. Chicago Bears: Barrett Jones, OL, Alabama

The Chicago Bears have made some strong additions to their offensive line this offseason, but should still be looking to add young talent and depth across the line. Alabama’s Barrett Jones’ stock is down due to a Lisfranc foot injury that could cost him the start of his rookie season, but he remains good value in the second round as a versatile, smart and physical offensive lineman who can play center, guard and even tackle.

51. Washington Redskins: Bacarri Rambo, FS, Georgia

The Washington Redskins have a massive need at the safety position, so drafting the best safety available on the board with their first draft pick would be a logical choice. In this scenario, that player is Georgia free safety Bacarri Rambo, a ballhawk in the secondary who can also really strike opponents, and would be a much-needed upgrade over Reed Doughty at the position.

52. Minnesota Vikings: Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina

The Minnesota Vikings need to add another defensive tackle to line up next to Kevin Williams in the middle of their defensive line, and by adding North Carolina’s Sylvester Williams, they could build “Williams Wall 2.0.” Williams could be a big, run-stopping presence they have not had in the middle since Pat Williams’ departure, but he is also an explosive and quick interior athlete who would be great value in the middle of Round 2.

53. Cincinnati Bengals: Giovani Bernard, RB, North Carolina

The Cincinnati Bengals should be looking for a playmaker at the running back position who can complement BenJarvus Green-Ellis with athleticism, quickness and receiving ability. Giovani Bernard is a dynamic player out of the backfield who is good value late in Round 2, and could be a terrific fit for that role.

PROJECTED TRADE: The Miami Dolphins trade the No. 54 overall selection (from the Indianapolis Colts) to the Kansas City Chiefs for left tackle Branden Albert.

54. Kansas City Chiefs (from Indianapolis Colts via Miami Dolphins): Jamie Collins, OLB, Southern Miss

The Miami Dolphins are in ongoing talks with the Kansas City Chiefs about trading for veteran left tackle Branden Albert, who is seeking a long-term extension but is currently franchise tagged by the Chiefs. While there appear to be some issues with money and compensation holding up the deal, there is still a strong possibility of a deal being completed, with the most likely scenario being the Dolphins trading their second of two second-round picks to the Chiefs.

That trade would fill the Dolphins’ need of a left tackle, and would put the Chiefs back in the second round. With the pick to be acquired, a choice who would make sense for the Chiefs is Southern Miss outside linebacker Jamie Collins. Collins could add depth as a pass-rushing outside linebacker behind starters Justin Houston and Tamba Hali, but he also has the versatility to potentially kick inside and fill a need at inside linebacker.

55. Green Bay Packers: Damontre Moore, OLB, Texas A&M

The Green Bay Packers made a first-round investment in Nick Perry to start opposite Clay Matthews at outside linebacker in last year’s draft, but have little depth behind Perry and Matthews and could use another pass-rusher in the rotation. Texas A&M’s Damontre Moore would be an absolute steal in the middle of Round 2, as a skilled pass-rusher who has experience playing 3-4 outside linebacker, and can be a valuable contributor both at bringing heat against quarterbacks but also a run-stopper off the edge.

56. Seattle Seahawks: Kawann Short, DT, Purdue

The Seattle Seahawks should continue to be in the market for a 3-technique/5-technique who can play at the interior pass-rusher spot in their defensive front next to Brandon Mebane. Purdue’s Kawann Short is an big, explosive interior lineman who is very good value late in Round 2 as both an interior pass-rusher and run-stopper who can continue to make a strong defensive front even better.

57. Houston Texans: Darius Slay, CB, Mississippi State

The Houston Texans should be looking for cornerback talent and depth to play behind starters Johnathan Joseph and Kareem Jackson. Mississippi State’s Darius Slay is a very athletic cornerback with the upside to develop into an impact player in an NFL secondary, and has the ability to be an immediate contributor as depth and at nickel cornerback.

58. Denver Broncos: Alex Okafor, DE, Texas

After losing Elvis Dumervil in a fax machine contract fiasco, the Denver Broncos are in need of another pass-rushing defensive end to replace him. Texas’ Alex Okafor is a very skilled pass-rusher with good speed around the edge and who has very good hand technique, and he would be terrific value as a late second-round selection.

59. New England Patriots: Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon State

The Patriots should be in the market for another cornerback to provide depth and to be groomed into a potential starter for the 2014 season, with Aqib Talib being signed to only a one-year contract this offseason. Oregon State’s Jordan Poyer does not have terrific measurables, but is a well-rounded cornerback who plays with physicality, has good coverage instincts and the tools to be a very solid No. 2 or nickel cornerback for the Patriots.

60. Atlanta Falcons: John Jenkins, NT, Georgia

The Atlanta Falcons should be in the market for a big defensive tackle who can be a run filler next to Jonathan Babineaux in the four-man front, and also give the Falcons a true nose tackle for their hybrid defense. They could get that from Georgia’s John Jenkins, a massive yet quick run-stuffing nose tackle who could be a steal late in Round 2 if he can overcome motor concerns.

61. San Francisco 49ers: Brandon Williams, NT, Missouri Southern State

The San Francisco 49ers have one of the NFL’s best defensive fronts, but one thing they lack is a true anchor at nose tackle in the middle of their three-man front. They could get that from Missouri Southern State’s Brandon Williams, a massive yet explosive and quick nose tackle who can be a force as a run-stopper with his rare combination of size, power and athleticism.

62. Baltimore Ravens: Kiko Alonso, ILB, Oregon

Inside linebacker remains arguably the Baltimore Ravens’ greatest need, especially following another arrest for recently-signed Rolando McClain, which could spell the end of his troubled NFL career. Oregon’s Kiko Alonso is an aggressive, athletic playmaking linebacker who has the potential to be the player both as a blitzer and in coverage they need to replace Ray Lewis.

Continue to Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Tags: 2013 NFL Draft, Bjoern Werner, Geno Smith, Jordan Poyer, Luke Joeckel, Mock Drafts, Robert Woods

58 Responses to “2013 NFL Mock Draft: Dan Hope’s Final Projections”

1. joeisme says:

I cannot see the Packers having any interest in Moore. He is too slow for an OLB and too small to play 3/4 DE. He will struggle against good NFL linemen and would be a backup at best. The Packers can’t afford to waste a high pick on a backup.

2. Eric says:

I’d hate it if the Patriots passed on DJ Hayden, if he were still on the board.

3. PatsDJ says:

First off, I think Mallet is gone for a 2nd this year or next. If he was in this draft he would be the number 1 rated QB. I know he hasn’t played much, but the talent is there. To many teams neeed QBs now rather than later.
    Pick #29 will be traded.
    I would like to trade with the Jags for # 33 & #98.
    Or, with Atlanta for #60 and a 1st next year.
    Players I like in 2nd & 3rd rounds are:
    Kyle Long G/T Oregon
    Jonathon Banks CB Miss St
    Margus Hunt DE SMU
    Tyler Bray QB Tenn
    John Jenkins DT Georgia
    Christine Michael RB Texas A&M
    Terrance Williams WR Baylor
    This is not a great draft, I want more picks in the 2014 Draft.
    I think BB just wheels and deals to the tune of about 4-5 trades.

• I think your assesement of Mallett is pretty much on the mark and may very well come about. If it happens this year likely it will be late in the first round at earlyest. Teams looking for QB’s will see their options reduced by the second round. Also I like your list of prospects. Margus Hunt and Terrance Williams perk my intrest.
      Predicting 4-5 trades is bold, good for you!

• PatsDJ says:

I think BB showed what he really thinks of this years draft with the RFA signing of WR Saunders of the Steelers. Willing to give up his 3rd round pick. That would have left the Pats with 4 picks in 2013. This is why I think he has a deal in place for Ryan Mallet. BB almost has to trade, he just doesn’t have enough picks this year.

• Agree we don’t have enough picks.It is possable a trade for Mallett is in place but if so I expect it’s a conditional one where the trade partner is looking at a QB in the draft who if is not still available to them they would then activate the trade for Mallett. Otherwise why would everyone be silent about it? More likely I think teams are waiting to see if they can get someone in the second round they can develope in there own system. I’m just going by my gut, no inside info.

4. Guess it’s time to stick my neck out and make my picks. Here goes.
    Bill will trade down the #29 because his short list players are off the board. He gets a 2nd somewhere in the mid to low 40′s and a 4th rounder.

2#X Eric Reid ss
    2#59 Brandon Williams DT
    3#91 Leon McFadden cb
    4#X Aaron Dobson WR
    7#a Kenny Tate OLB/SS
    7#b Jordan Rogers QB

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I like Brandon Williams, Tate , and Rogers if Mallett is gone! I’m just going with what I know we have, 5 picks but know trades will give us more!

LB Sio Moore
      WR Markus Wheaton
      CB Jordan Poyer
      OG/C Barrett Jones
      DT Jared Smith

• Nuf Ced says:

Stop with Mallet…

Please. Just stop. It’s not happening

• I usually only go with what we have also but you convinced me that Bill will likely trade down the 29. Only guessing who will still be on the board and Reid seems very possable to me and think he would tighten up the secondary. McFadden though smallish would provide depth. As for Rogers I’d go for him regardless of Mallett who will be in his final yearnext year. Not to soon to cover that possability now, plus Rogers has shown signs of good upside.
        However it goes down it promases to be very intresting, can’t wait.

• jim r says:

That would work, Tate is interesting. Coming into this year he was rated pretty highly at the safety position and moved down to OLB. Lot of flexibility there

• acm says:

I can see Reid drop in the 2nd although I personally would prefer Thomas there. Not so sure about Mcfadden in late 3rd and especially Dobson in the 4th though. Dobson is more of a mid to late 2nd rounder, maybe, just maybe he drops to early 3rd but into the 4th? Very much doubt that.

It’s a very good set of players but I think a bit unrealistic. Also drafting a S early, thanks to mcCourty’s positional versatility, makes it imo unnecessary to spend another early pick on a CB – for a CB I’d rather look in the 7th in this scenario and spend that 91st pick on other needs – possibly trade it down for more options a bit later … depends on what value falls there really.

• AS for McCourty’s versatility he doesn’t have any though. He failed at badly at CB. He does a decent job at FS but a good SS like Reid, yes! I’m not impressed with any of the other saftys now on the team.

• MaineMan says:

I don’t understand why people keep claiming that McCourty “failed” at CB.

McCourty joined the Pats as an exceptional zone-read player (which is also why he’s so good at deep coverage safety). In his second season (the one without any off-season) the Pats switched to a primarily press-man coverage scheme and McCourty had never played press-man in his life (and it certainly didn’t help him that the Pats had basically nothing at deep safety to back him up). Still, by the Superbowl he was pretty much holding his own and he was okay at it last season.

• OK, have it your way McCortney can play CB. All you have to do is convince most of the rest of us on that.Even if he could I’d really, really like another decent prospect drafted, just in case.

• Jeff M says:

Zero chance Dobson makes it out of the 3rd round.

5. cc says:

Leaving (CB)’s both X.Rhodes & J.Taylor before and after, just to take an ankle injury potential not 100 % WR in R. Woods? That’s just kinda dumb I.Many.O..

6. kevin says:

Trade the 1 for a 2-4 this year to nab justin hunter he has a higher ceiling to excell and pull that safety to his side over the top. margus hunt for the second 2 he will excell as a chess peice in our defense and BB loves to give differnt looks between 3-4 and even fronts use our other picks to get some secondary.

• Nuf Ced says:

Justin Hunter drops 12%+ of the balls that he gets his hands on – no way would I touch a receiver that can’t catch

7. gutstring says:

Dan, how about adding a fourth round, now that the Patsies have two selections there in this mock?

8. Russell Easterbrooks says:

Know Bill will make some trades I am selesting my 5 players with that in mind, to be Patriots next year.
    Sio Moore LB
    Markus Wheaton WR
    Jordan Poyer CB
    Barrett Jones OG/C
    Jared Smith DT

• Russell you don’t give us any clues as to where these picks are to be taken. I only guss you think trade down #29 but if so will Poyer slide into the 3rd and Jones into 4th or are they two 3rds? Can you clearify please?

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I think there will be a number of trade moves, so I’m just picking the players I think will be Patroits after the draft. So i’m looking at it as, all these guys are before the 5th round. I only get 5 picks so I’m using guys i think Bill will draft. Good luck I like your Brandan Williams, I just went with Smith instead, it was close.

• kdog says:

Russell, what makes you think Wheaton? After reading about him I’m unsure b/c of size and durability issues. Then again, he’s similar in size to E Sanders. . .

but I’m with you on Sio and Barrett Jones. . . there’s so many CBs I think they might just see who falls. . . on the DLine I am lost.

I’ll come up with a pick-5 by Thursday.

• My 2 cents, Why some concern about Wheaton he has’t had any issues in collage I’m aware of? About D line, lots of depth well into the 4th rd likely. Still the higher a guy is taken the better player he is likely to be. Add to this that DE is also deep so if a player BB likes falls into range don’t be surprised if Bill grabs him he has a love of big athletic DT’s.

9. gutstring says:

Agree with Nuf re Sports Science…Sylvester the Younger was moving off the line before the C could finish his 3-ft hike to the QB’s hands…amazing quickness.

10. Russell Easterbrooks says:

Trade #29 to Tampa , #43, #112, and a 4th next year.
    #43- Markus Wheaton
    #59- Sio Moore
    #91- Micah Hyde
    #112- Jared Smith

• I see Russell has jumped on Sio Moore in his two scenarios here so far.I’m wondering if he is thinking best player or feels there is a need at LB? Perhaps if Sio is an upgrade on say Hightower, he feels Hightower could moveinto the RDE slot? Be interested in hearing Russell’s thinking regarding this choice.

• correction, I ment Hightower to the LDE.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I think Moore is a great cover LB, who can rush the passer, but is very strong with great hand use to get off blocks in the run game. Bill loves LBers, and I think Moore is a situational LB for now, unless there is an injury. He is stronger than DeVante Holloman who I like as well, and just better in the run game.
        I’m the only person I have heard calling for Moore as an early pick by the Patriots, but I think Bill likes him.

• Ken W says:

I think he is a good LB, but to say he is a good situational guy at a position that the Pats are pretty deep at right now plus they have Fletcher coming back who was playing really well in the preseason until he got hurt. So why would you spent a 1st round pick on a situational player?

1st and 2nd rounders should be impact starters for teams not situational players.

If he was there in the 2nd then maybe it would be worth it.

• acm says:

I think people may be underestimating the need for a quick, good in coverage, 3-down LB as that weakness is almost as glaring as the need for a WR and a player for the secondary (be it a S or a CB).

The Pats as of right now have only one 3-down backer in Mayo and two situational, stout vs the run, very similar to one another players like Spikes and Hightower. Another 3-down backer is needed to make that part of the team complete and that would improve the D by a mile, not just marginally.

I disagree that players like Brown or Moore are situational players – either one of those is likely to start in the WSL role leaving hightower and Spikes for the run stopping role in the middle. Also, let’s not forget Spikes’ contract is up next year and there are no guarantees he would be resigned as the presense of Hightower on the team hardly makes him irreplaceable.

I’d agree that players like Greene, Alonso, Holloman, klein etc would likely be situational players should they arrive but not the case with Brown or Moore, imo.

And Fletcher coming off an injury and still going thru his transition to LB is hardly more than a good back-up at this point.

Not saying we should spend a 1st rounder on a LB but I think the need for another 3-down player is going severely underestimated by people, who are focusing on CB and WR probably a bit too much than necessary.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Well said, the sports news clouds people’s thinking. WR and CB will be part of the draft, but OLB that can cover is important to a successful D. I like Brown and Sio Moore, I think Moore ia alittle stronger, but Brown is faster.

• Jeff M says:

I’d rather try Jelani Jenkins in the 4th/5th and maybe Kenny Tate in the 6th/7th for the sub LB roles than Sio Moore in the 2nd unless he’s ultimately replacing Spikes.

11. Rob says:

I like
    1. Jamar Taylor
    2. Markus Wheaton
    3. Trade for 112 and 126
    112. Aaron Dobson
    126. Jon Bostic

12. Jagsman says:

id go with dion jordan round 1, rhodes in the 2nd, and keenan allen in the 3rd.

13. Ken W says:

If it went this way I would go:

1. Xavier Rhodes CB
    2. Margus Hunt DE
    3. Trade with Tampa for 112 and 126

14. Nuf Ced says:

Heck the more I look at this I wouldn’t take Woods over Olgetree… If Williams or Olgletree are there at 29 please dear God don’t take a WR

• acm says:

I wouldn’t mind either of the Williams DTs – Jesse or Sylvester – but not a big fan of Ogletree, tbh. He sure is a physically gifted athlete but not a 1st round prospect at the 4-3 OLB position (they keep plugging him as an ILB but think he projects as a OLB in the NFL).

Only 4-3 OLB this year worthy of a 29th pick for me is Arthur Brown, who may or may not make it there. He has better instincts and is overall a more intelligent player than Ogletree, imo.
      Other than that, I’d rather go with Moore, Greene or Alonso, who I think project somewhere starting from mid 2nd to about mid 3rd.

• Nuf Ced says:

I see him as an inside replacement for Spikes who can’t cover; becomes a 3 down ILB for us

• You don’t draft a situationay player in the 1st, otherwise I too like Brown but given our shortage of picks and other pressing needs think it unlikely Brown will fit into Bill’s plans.

• CORRECTION, I think you were saying he would become a three down LB not a 3rd down LB as I interpeded you. If so my mistake and can understand that reasoning. Interesting thought!

15. Nuf Ced says:

If the Pats took Poyer over Jenkins or Hunt I would have punch a hole in my Sheetrock

16. Prime says:

My Mock Draft
    1. D.J. Hayden
    2. Da’rick Rodgers
    3. Josh Boyce

17. chris mcmahon says:

0% Sherrif Floyd lasts to 18 and dion jordan falls out of top 5

• joe says:

Finally someone who knows what their talking about. Hope always does the worst mock draft. And he says woods would be good value. Woods is one of the most over rated players in this years draft

18. Nuf Ced says:

After watching Sports Science on ESPN I want Sly Williams from UNC… Scary fast twitch and power

• Silvester is good prospect and as DT’s go I’d take either of the Williams’. As for Poyer there are several guys I would pass him over for, all depends on how things unfold. Please though don’t take it out on innocent sheetrock. lol.