2013 NFL Mock Draft: Dan Hope’s Final Projections

33. Jacksonville Jaguars: Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State

As Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator, Gus Bradley had success with big, physical cornerbacks. He could get another one in this scenario with Mississippi State’s Johnthan Banks still on the board at the beginning of Round 2.

Banks is no Richard Sherman, but he has great length, is a physical cover corner and has very good ball skills and instincts. He is good value as a second-round selection, and would address one of the Jaguars’ greatest positions of need.

34. San Francisco 49ers: Eric Reid, FS, LSU

Following the free-agent departure of Dashon Goldson, the 49ers need to find a new starting free safety with one of their many draft picks. The best fit of any safety in the draft class would be LSU’s Eric Reid.

While Reid isn’t quite the playmaker or striker that Goldson is, he is an athletic safety who can be an upgrade in deep pass coverage. He needs to become a more consistent tackler, but he has good instincts and is active in run support.

35. Philadelphia Eagles: Margus Hunt, DE, SMU

After missing out on Star Lotulelei in Round 1, the Philadelphia Eagles should be in the market for a 5-technique defensive end to reinforce their defensive line and add a starter opposite Fletcher Cox.

SMU’s Margus Hunt is a raw talent, but has huge upside with a rare combination of size, length and athleticism, and he has flashed the ability to be very dynamic as both an outside and inside pass-rusher. His upside makes him well worth taking a chance on early in Round 2.

36. Detroit Lions: Terron Armstead, OT, Arkansas-Pine Bluff

After missing out on Eric Fisher in Round 1, the Detroit Lions should be targeting an offensive tackle in Round 2 to replace one of their departed starters from last season.Which offensive tackle they draft could come down to whether they view Riley Reiff as their left tackle of the future.

If they do, the best choice would be Alabama’s D.J. Fluker, who would be a great fit to take over immediately at right tackle for Gosder Cherilus. But if they would prefer to play Reiff on the right side, the best choice at No. 36 overall would be Arkansas-Pine Bluff’s Terron Armstead, a small-schooler with the length, athleticism and overall talent to develop into a starting-caliber, and a player who the Lions are apparently targeting at this selection according to Jeff Risdon of Detroit Lions Draft.

37. Cincinnati Bengals (from Oakland Raiders): Matt Elam, SS, Florida

The Cincinnati Bengals have a major need for an upgrade over Taylor Mays at strong safety. Florida’s Matt Elam is an athletic, hard-hitting safety who can be a big upgrade in run support and a playmaker on the back end. Although he does have some deep coverage issues like Mays, he is a playmaker who has the ball skills and athleticism to be the player the Bengals need next to Reggie Nelson in their secondary.

38. Arizona Cardinals: Matt Barkley, QB, USC

The Arizona Cardinals may not be in the market for a rookie to come in at quarterback and immediately start following their free-agent signings of Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton this offseason, but with good value still on the board at quarterback, they would be smart to take advantage of that value in Round 2 and draft USC’s Matt Barkley.

The most polished and accurate pocket passer in the draft class, Barkley could come in and start early, but he could certainly use a year or two of development after a mistake-prone senior season.

Back at the NFL Scouting Combine, Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller tweeted that Barkley was not expected to get past the Cardinals at the No. 7 overall pick. Barkley could fall significantly farther than that now, but with their offensive tackle secured in Round 1, they shouldn’t pass up the opportunity to draft Barkley, who is good value in early Round 2.

39. Denver Broncos (from New York Jets): Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia

Having traded down to get better value, the Denver Broncos can afford to take a chance on Georgia’s Alec Ogletree in Round 2 to add an impact player at middle linebacker.

A fantastic athlete who is a hard-hitting run-stopper and skilled in coverage, Ogletree may be the most purely talented inside linebacker in the draft class, but serious character concerns, including a DUI arrest in February, could push him into Round 2. If he can turn around his off-field problems, he could be a steal and the playmaker the Broncos need in the middle of their linebacker corps.

40. Tennessee Titans: Larry Warford, G, Kentucky

The Tennessee Titans signed three free-agent guards this offseason, but Andy Levitre may be the only long-term starter among them, with Robert Turner and Chris Spencer both signed to one-year contracts. The Titans have continued to look at many guards in the pre-draft process, including Kentucky’s Larry Warford, a massive, powerful mauling guard with deceptively quick feet, and he would be a solid value choice in the middle of Round 2.

41. Buffalo Bills: Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse

Some are expecting the Buffalo Bills and coach Doug Marrone to target his former Syracuse quarterback, Ryan Nassib, at the No. 8 overall pick. While it is truly unknown whether that obvious connection will make Nassib the Bills’ top quarterback target in the 2013 NFL draft, getting him in Round 2 without having to move up would be a seemingly ideal scenario, as he is good value at that point and has the potential to be the franchise quarterback they need.

Nassib would have immediate familiarity with his coach, and has more experience playing in cold weather than the draft class’ other top quarterbacks (though he played in a dome at Syracuse). The Bills need to add a rookie quarterback who can compete right away for a starting job, and Nassib is capable.

42. Miami Dolphins: D.J. Hayden, CB, Houston

The Miami Dolphins added one starting cornerback this offseason with the free-agent signing of Brent Grimes, but need to continue to add talent at the position, especially with Grimes being on only a one-year contract. Houston’s D.J. Hayden has been rising rapidly in the weeks leading up to the draft after showing a full recovery from a nearly-fatal injury to his heart, and has the potential to develop into a very good cornerback.

43. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers need to find a big, powerful nose tackle who can take up blockers and help free up Gerald McCoy and the team’s linebackers to make plays while increasing the team’s run-stopping presence.

Ohio State’s Johnathan Hankins would be an ideal choice in Round 2, as a terrific value selection who can be exactly what the Buccaneers need. Hankins is a massive defensive tackle who can fill up gaps, take on blockers and shut down the run, while he also has impressive quickness and playmaking ability for a nose tackle of his size.

44. Carolina Panthers: Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech

The Carolina Panthers should be in the market for another playmaker at wide receiver, and Louisiana Tech’s Quinton Patton would be good value in the middle of Round 2. A physical receiver who has terrific body control, hands and route-running skill, he would be a great fit to line up opposite Steve Smith.

45. San Diego Chargers: Menelik Watson, OT, Florida State

The San Diego Chargers should continue rebuilding their offensive line on Day 2 by adding an offensive tackle. Florida State’s Menelik Watson is a high-upside choice in the second round who makes sense here.

Watson has very limited football experience and is still developing as a result, but he is a talented pass-blocker with good feet who also has good strength and length. He could be an upgrade over Jeromey Clary at right tackle, while he has long-term developmental potential as a left tackle.

46. St. Louis Rams: D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama

Rodger Saffold isn’t happy about moving to right tackle according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, which makes it extremely unlikely that he will return to the Rams as an unrestricted free agent in 2014. Alabama’s D.J. Fluker is a very good right tackle prospect who is terrific value in the middle of Round 2, and could go as high as the top 15 picks, so the Rams would likely snap up the opportunity to draft him if he falls this far into their laps.

Fluker’s length, athleticism and power give him the potential to be a very good right tackle, and if the Rams draft Fluker and keep Saffold, he could be moved inside to guard for the 2013 season while being groomed into playing right tackle in 2014.

47. Dallas Cowboys: Dallas Thomas, G/OT, Tennessee

The Dallas Cowboys have been linked to both Eric Winston and Tyson Clabo as potential upgrades over Doug Free at right tackle, but even if they sign one of them, they still need to add upgrades to their offensive line, especially at right guard. Tennessee’s Dallas Thomas would be a good mid-second-round addition with the versatility to play both guard and tackle, and be an immediate upgrade at guard.

48. Pittsburgh Steelers: Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama

The Pittsburgh Steelers need to upgrade at running back, and Alabama’s Eddie Lacy runs like a classic Steelers back. Lacy is a physical, powerful, between-the-tackles runner but also moves well in the open field. He would be a great value selection in the middle of Round 2, and would address one of the Steelers’ biggest positions of need.

Continue to Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Tags: 2013 NFL Draft, Bjoern Werner, Geno Smith, Jordan Poyer, Luke Joeckel, Mock Drafts, Robert Woods

58 Responses to “2013 NFL Mock Draft: Dan Hope’s Final Projections”

1. joeisme says:

I cannot see the Packers having any interest in Moore. He is too slow for an OLB and too small to play 3/4 DE. He will struggle against good NFL linemen and would be a backup at best. The Packers can’t afford to waste a high pick on a backup.

2. Eric says:

I’d hate it if the Patriots passed on DJ Hayden, if he were still on the board.

3. PatsDJ says:

First off, I think Mallet is gone for a 2nd this year or next. If he was in this draft he would be the number 1 rated QB. I know he hasn’t played much, but the talent is there. To many teams neeed QBs now rather than later.
    Pick #29 will be traded.
    I would like to trade with the Jags for # 33 & #98.
    Or, with Atlanta for #60 and a 1st next year.
    Players I like in 2nd & 3rd rounds are:
    Kyle Long G/T Oregon
    Jonathon Banks CB Miss St
    Margus Hunt DE SMU
    Tyler Bray QB Tenn
    John Jenkins DT Georgia
    Christine Michael RB Texas A&M
    Terrance Williams WR Baylor
    This is not a great draft, I want more picks in the 2014 Draft.
    I think BB just wheels and deals to the tune of about 4-5 trades.

I think your assesement of Mallett is pretty much on the mark and may very well come about. If it happens this year likely it will be late in the first round at earlyest. Teams looking for QB’s will see their options reduced by the second round. Also I like your list of prospects. Margus Hunt and Terrance Williams perk my intrest.
      Predicting 4-5 trades is bold, good for you!

• PatsDJ says:

I think BB showed what he really thinks of this years draft with the RFA signing of WR Saunders of the Steelers. Willing to give up his 3rd round pick. That would have left the Pats with 4 picks in 2013. This is why I think he has a deal in place for Ryan Mallet. BB almost has to trade, he just doesn’t have enough picks this year.

Agree we don’t have enough picks.It is possable a trade for Mallett is in place but if so I expect it’s a conditional one where the trade partner is looking at a QB in the draft who if is not still available to them they would then activate the trade for Mallett. Otherwise why would everyone be silent about it? More likely I think teams are waiting to see if they can get someone in the second round they can develope in there own system. I’m just going by my gut, no inside info.

4. steve earle says:

Guess it’s time to stick my neck out and make my picks. Here goes.
    Bill will trade down the #29 because his short list players are off the board. He gets a 2nd somewhere in the mid to low 40′s and a 4th rounder.

2#X Eric Reid ss
    2#59 Brandon Williams DT
    3#91 Leon McFadden cb
    4#X Aaron Dobson WR
    7#a Kenny Tate OLB/SS
    7#b Jordan Rogers QB

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I like Brandon Williams, Tate , and Rogers if Mallett is gone! I’m just going with what I know we have, 5 picks but know trades will give us more!

LB Sio Moore
      WR Markus Wheaton
      CB Jordan Poyer
      OG/C Barrett Jones
      DT Jared Smith

• Nuf Ced says:

Stop with Mallet…

Please. Just stop. It’s not happening

I usually only go with what we have also but you convinced me that Bill will likely trade down the 29. Only guessing who will still be on the board and Reid seems very possable to me and think he would tighten up the secondary. McFadden though smallish would provide depth. As for Rogers I’d go for him regardless of Mallett who will be in his final yearnext year. Not to soon to cover that possability now, plus Rogers has shown signs of good upside.
        However it goes down it promases to be very intresting, can’t wait.

• jim r says:

That would work, Tate is interesting. Coming into this year he was rated pretty highly at the safety position and moved down to OLB. Lot of flexibility there

• acm says:

I can see Reid drop in the 2nd although I personally would prefer Thomas there. Not so sure about Mcfadden in late 3rd and especially Dobson in the 4th though. Dobson is more of a mid to late 2nd rounder, maybe, just maybe he drops to early 3rd but into the 4th? Very much doubt that.

It’s a very good set of players but I think a bit unrealistic. Also drafting a S early, thanks to mcCourty’s positional versatility, makes it imo unnecessary to spend another early pick on a CB – for a CB I’d rather look in the 7th in this scenario and spend that 91st pick on other needs – possibly trade it down for more options a bit later … depends on what value falls there really.

AS for McCourty’s versatility he doesn’t have any though. He failed at badly at CB. He does a decent job at FS but a good SS like Reid, yes! I’m not impressed with any of the other saftys now on the team.

• MaineMan says:

I don’t understand why people keep claiming that McCourty “failed” at CB.

McCourty joined the Pats as an exceptional zone-read player (which is also why he’s so good at deep coverage safety). In his second season (the one without any off-season) the Pats switched to a primarily press-man coverage scheme and McCourty had never played press-man in his life (and it certainly didn’t help him that the Pats had basically nothing at deep safety to back him up). Still, by the Superbowl he was pretty much holding his own and he was okay at it last season.

OK, have it your way McCortney can play CB. All you have to do is convince most of the rest of us on that.Even if he could I’d really, really like another decent prospect drafted, just in case.

• Jeff M says:

Zero chance Dobson makes it out of the 3rd round.

5. cc says:

Leaving (CB)’s both X.Rhodes & J.Taylor before and after, just to take an ankle injury potential not 100 % WR in R. Woods? That’s just kinda dumb I.Many.O..

6. kevin says:

Trade the 1 for a 2-4 this year to nab justin hunter he has a higher ceiling to excell and pull that safety to his side over the top. margus hunt for the second 2 he will excell as a chess peice in our defense and BB loves to give differnt looks between 3-4 and even fronts use our other picks to get some secondary.

• Nuf Ced says:

Justin Hunter drops 12%+ of the balls that he gets his hands on – no way would I touch a receiver that can’t catch

7. gutstring says:

Dan, how about adding a fourth round, now that the Patsies have two selections there in this mock?

8. Russell Easterbrooks says:

Know Bill will make some trades I am selesting my 5 players with that in mind, to be Patriots next year.
    Sio Moore LB
    Markus Wheaton WR
    Jordan Poyer CB
    Barrett Jones OG/C
    Jared Smith DT

Russell you don’t give us any clues as to where these picks are to be taken. I only guss you think trade down #29 but if so will Poyer slide into the 3rd and Jones into 4th or are they two 3rds? Can you clearify please?

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I think there will be a number of trade moves, so I’m just picking the players I think will be Patroits after the draft. So i’m looking at it as, all these guys are before the 5th round. I only get 5 picks so I’m using guys i think Bill will draft. Good luck I like your Brandan Williams, I just went with Smith instead, it was close.

• kdog says:

Russell, what makes you think Wheaton? After reading about him I’m unsure b/c of size and durability issues. Then again, he’s similar in size to E Sanders. . .

but I’m with you on Sio and Barrett Jones. . . there’s so many CBs I think they might just see who falls. . . on the DLine I am lost.

I’ll come up with a pick-5 by Thursday.

My 2 cents, Why some concern about Wheaton he has’t had any issues in collage I’m aware of? About D line, lots of depth well into the 4th rd likely. Still the higher a guy is taken the better player he is likely to be. Add to this that DE is also deep so if a player BB likes falls into range don’t be surprised if Bill grabs him he has a love of big athletic DT’s.

9. gutstring says:

Agree with Nuf re Sports Science…Sylvester the Younger was moving off the line before the C could finish his 3-ft hike to the QB’s hands…amazing quickness.

10. Russell Easterbrooks says:

Trade #29 to Tampa , #43, #112, and a 4th next year.
    #43- Markus Wheaton
    #59- Sio Moore
    #91- Micah Hyde
    #112- Jared Smith

I see Russell has jumped on Sio Moore in his two scenarios here so far.I’m wondering if he is thinking best player or feels there is a need at LB? Perhaps if Sio is an upgrade on say Hightower, he feels Hightower could moveinto the RDE slot? Be interested in hearing Russell’s thinking regarding this choice.

correction, I ment Hightower to the LDE.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I think Moore is a great cover LB, who can rush the passer, but is very strong with great hand use to get off blocks in the run game. Bill loves LBers, and I think Moore is a situational LB for now, unless there is an injury. He is stronger than DeVante Holloman who I like as well, and just better in the run game.
        I’m the only person I have heard calling for Moore as an early pick by the Patriots, but I think Bill likes him.

• Ken W says:

I think he is a good LB, but to say he is a good situational guy at a position that the Pats are pretty deep at right now plus they have Fletcher coming back who was playing really well in the preseason until he got hurt. So why would you spent a 1st round pick on a situational player?

1st and 2nd rounders should be impact starters for teams not situational players.

If he was there in the 2nd then maybe it would be worth it.

• acm says:

I think people may be underestimating the need for a quick, good in coverage, 3-down LB as that weakness is almost as glaring as the need for a WR and a player for the secondary (be it a S or a CB).

The Pats as of right now have only one 3-down backer in Mayo and two situational, stout vs the run, very similar to one another players like Spikes and Hightower. Another 3-down backer is needed to make that part of the team complete and that would improve the D by a mile, not just marginally.

I disagree that players like Brown or Moore are situational players – either one of those is likely to start in the WSL role leaving hightower and Spikes for the run stopping role in the middle. Also, let’s not forget Spikes’ contract is up next year and there are no guarantees he would be resigned as the presense of Hightower on the team hardly makes him irreplaceable.

I’d agree that players like Greene, Alonso, Holloman, klein etc would likely be situational players should they arrive but not the case with Brown or Moore, imo.

And Fletcher coming off an injury and still going thru his transition to LB is hardly more than a good back-up at this point.

Not saying we should spend a 1st rounder on a LB but I think the need for another 3-down player is going severely underestimated by people, who are focusing on CB and WR probably a bit too much than necessary.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Well said, the sports news clouds people’s thinking. WR and CB will be part of the draft, but OLB that can cover is important to a successful D. I like Brown and Sio Moore, I think Moore ia alittle stronger, but Brown is faster.

• Jeff M says:

I’d rather try Jelani Jenkins in the 4th/5th and maybe Kenny Tate in the 6th/7th for the sub LB roles than Sio Moore in the 2nd unless he’s ultimately replacing Spikes.

11. Rob says:

I like
    1. Jamar Taylor
    2. Markus Wheaton
    3. Trade for 112 and 126
    112. Aaron Dobson
    126. Jon Bostic

12. Jagsman says:

id go with dion jordan round 1, rhodes in the 2nd, and keenan allen in the 3rd.

13. Ken W says:

If it went this way I would go:

1. Xavier Rhodes CB
    2. Margus Hunt DE
    3. Trade with Tampa for 112 and 126

14. Nuf Ced says:

Heck the more I look at this I wouldn’t take Woods over Olgetree… If Williams or Olgletree are there at 29 please dear God don’t take a WR

• acm says:

I wouldn’t mind either of the Williams DTs – Jesse or Sylvester – but not a big fan of Ogletree, tbh. He sure is a physically gifted athlete but not a 1st round prospect at the 4-3 OLB position (they keep plugging him as an ILB but think he projects as a OLB in the NFL).

Only 4-3 OLB this year worthy of a 29th pick for me is Arthur Brown, who may or may not make it there. He has better instincts and is overall a more intelligent player than Ogletree, imo.
      Other than that, I’d rather go with Moore, Greene or Alonso, who I think project somewhere starting from mid 2nd to about mid 3rd.

• Nuf Ced says:

I see him as an inside replacement for Spikes who can’t cover; becomes a 3 down ILB for us

You don’t draft a situationay player in the 1st, otherwise I too like Brown but given our shortage of picks and other pressing needs think it unlikely Brown will fit into Bill’s plans.

CORRECTION, I think you were saying he would become a three down LB not a 3rd down LB as I interpeded you. If so my mistake and can understand that reasoning. Interesting thought!

15. Nuf Ced says:

If the Pats took Poyer over Jenkins or Hunt I would have punch a hole in my Sheetrock

16. Prime says:

My Mock Draft
    1. D.J. Hayden
    2. Da’rick Rodgers
    3. Josh Boyce

17. chris mcmahon says:

0% Sherrif Floyd lasts to 18 and dion jordan falls out of top 5

• joe says:

Finally someone who knows what their talking about. Hope always does the worst mock draft. And he says woods would be good value. Woods is one of the most over rated players in this years draft

18. Nuf Ced says:

After watching Sports Science on ESPN I want Sly Williams from UNC… Scary fast twitch and power

Silvester is good prospect and as DT’s go I’d take either of the Williams’. As for Poyer there are several guys I would pass him over for, all depends on how things unfold. Please though don’t take it out on innocent sheetrock. lol.