2013 NFL Draft: Patriots Draft Priorities on Day Three

Logan Ryan  NFL Draft

Are the Patriots going to add any more Rutgers defenders on day three of the 2013 NFL Draft?

NEPD Editor: James Christensen

The Patriots did a fantastic job of adding talented players to their roster on day two of the 2013 NFL Draft, hitting on my first three priorities for them: add talent at receiver, improve the pass rush and shore up coverage.

What are the Patriots priorities on day three of the 2013 NFL Draft?

Round Four kicks off at 12pm eastern. Check back after the draft to get all of your undrafted free agent information.

Priority One: Depth at Wide Receiver

The Patriots added Aaron Dobson to go with Danny Amendola, Julian Edelman and company, but is there another receiver out there waiting to get picked?

Quinton Patton (La Tech) and Da’Rick Rogers (Tenn Tech) my highest rated receiver left on the board, but Oklahoma WR Kenny Stills isn’t too far behind. All three would have to be picked with the 102nd overall selection.

At this point, you can’t rule Rutgers WR Mark Harrison, with the recent run on Rutgers players. He seems to duplicate some of what Aaron Dobson brings to the table, however.

If the Patriots wait until the 7th round, or trade down into the 5th and 6th rounds, “Dennard-esque” Marquess Wilson could be the pick. He is a top 50 talent, but has had run-ins with coaches and assorted other issues dropping him late into the draft.

Priority Two: Depth on the Offensive Line

As I stated yesterday, the Patriots starting five looks good along the offensive line, but you can’t have too much depth protecting Tom Brady.

Alabama OL Barrett Jones (4th Round) is the most likely pick in my opinion. San Jose State OL David Quessenberry (4th-5th Round) is also another player to watch.

In reality, I don’t think the Patriots will make a selection on the offensive line until the 7th round – Coach Dante Scarnecchia doesn’t need much in order to turn them into serviceable blockers for New England.

Priority Three: Coverage Linebacker

With Zaviar Gooden off the board, I don’t see the Patriots targeting a coverage linebacker until the 6th or 7th round. Iowa State linebacker Jake Knott, who is coming off a shoulder injury, is the best fit for New England. He is tough as nails, is a great tackler and has deceptively good speed and athleticism.

Former South Carolina safety Devonte Holloman could also be a fit earlier on in the draft – he is one of the smarter football players that Mike Loyko came across at the Senior Bowl and has experience playing as a coverage linebacker.

Priority Four: Future Plans

If the Patriots can wiggle their way into an extra 2014 NFL Draft pick, I think they’ll snatch it up. The 2014 NFL Draft Class looks pretty loaded and any added flexibility they can get would be beneficial.

List of the Patriots picks so far and what they have left: 2013 Patriots Draft Picks

Tags: 2013 NFL Draft, Aaron Dobson, Day Three, Jake Knott, Jamie Collins

15 Responses to “2013 NFL Draft: Patriots Draft Priorities on Day Three”

1. Andy says:

I remember when people where using the “who” word when BB drafted Mankins,Ridley.Vollmer,Branch,Givens……So take it easy on the rush to judgement!!!

I hear you Andy but Ryan, Harmon, nor Boyce are in my draft preview book and with many who are still on the boards when these guys got taken why shouldn’t fans ask “who”?

• James says:

Not sure why Boyce and Logan Ryan aren’t in ur draft book..

• Andy says:

If people are asking who these players are, they probably don’t watch enough CFB to question the moves made by the patriots player personnel department. It’s alright to have an opinion but it’s tough to listen to armchair talent evaluators question a team that’s been in five of the last twelve superbowls!

2. steve earle says:

Glad those who know much more then I are saying what a good draft we are getting. My first impression was that Jamie Collins reminded me of Jermaine Cunningham. Aaron Dobson might work out I like that he’s said to be a good downfield blocker as well as having good hands. Both 3rd round guys were “Who?” picks to me. (A Travon Wilson moment.) I’m willing to cut these guys some slack at least until we get to see what they have but to say I’m disappointed is an understatement.

3. AM says:

Josh Boyce–terrific prospect. Fast, quick, physical, smart player. Excellent draft so far.

Just rejoined the draft coverage, so who is Josh Boyce and did we add him, what did I miss?

4. Bain says:

I like the idea of trading back here for a 2014 2nd or 3rd, even if it means just 3 7ths for the rest of this draft. We can certainly find some OL projects for Dante in the 7th round this year.

5. Qazmlpgh says:

Hasn’t coverage LB been addressed somewhat with Collins?

6. Joe Blake says:

There must be some injury concerns with the Alabama duo of Williams and Jones. I had thought one of them would have been a Pat by now. I would like to see one of them picked with #102 or a double dip on a WR. Give what I read that the Pats attempted to trade out of the 91st slot, it would not be a surprise to see them do this with the 102nd. Hate to see what we perceive as quality players draft to other teams between #102 and whatever#s we pick up…painful to watch..At least we won’t have to wait long before we turn the TV off and find out later when we check this site. At least we won’t waste the afternoon!

7. Ken W says:

I have been high on Mark Harrison and Devonte Holloman as a cover LB. If they got one of these two it would be a good pick, but then again I am just a fan that has done a little research on the internet and am no way qualified to say who is better then who.

So before we start ripping Harmon and other Patriot picks lets wait till we see them play a little bit.

8. Noah M says:

Please draft Denard Robinson or Ace Sanders in the 7th if they are there. Both are projects, but could fill in as kick/punt returners why they try and make it on the field as a WR. Ace is small and Denard is raw, but they are freaking electric.