Mike Loyko’s Early March Mock Draft

Tyrann Mathieu 2013 NFL Draft

Where does Tyrann Mathieu end up in this 2013 NFL Mock Draft? (Photo: US Presswire)

NEPD Editor: Mike Loyko

My latest mock draft incorporates all the combine results and latest transactions around the league. Free agency is two weeks away and once it opens team needs will change dramatically. As it stands today, the draft is gaining a little more clarity as we now have an idea or who could be the first overall pick in the draft.

However, at this point in the draft process it’s still an entire educated guess as to who goes where. Here is my best shot.

Last Updated: March 4, 2013

1. Kansas City Chiefs (2-14)
Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
The Chiefs completed a trade with the 49ers for QB Alex Smith, meaning they won’t be picking a Quarterback with the #1 pick. Luke Joeckel is the consensus best prospect in the draft and makes the Chiefs better all-around. There is still a question of what to do with Branden Albert, but all the signs are point towards Joeckel being the pick here. Other options for the pick are Sharrif Floyd, Star Lotulelei or even Dee Milliner.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars (2-14)
Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida
The Jaguars need to address their pass rush and one of the ways to do it, is by adding the best Defensive Tackle in the draft. Floyd is too good of a player to pass up for one of the edge rushers at this point in the draft. Terrence Knighton is a FA leaving a big hole on the DL. Floyd projects to the 3-Tech and could develop into a disruptive force. He can pair with Tyson Alualu, giving the Jaguars two young interior tackles to build Gus Bradley’s defense around.

3. Oakland Raiders (4-12)
Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
With Alex Smith becoming a Chief, the Raiders are now the front runner to land Geno Smith. The Raiders have lacked a “QB of the future” for a long time now and Smith has plenty of tools to get scouts excited about. His combination of arm talent, athleticism and accuracy make him the top QB prospect in this year’s draft. A backfield of McFadden and Geno Smith is fun to think about.

4. Philadelphia Eagles (4-12)
Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
Even with Jason Peters returning from Achilles injury the Eagles need to rebuild their offensive line. Chip Kelly’s offense will put a lot of stress on the OL and be geared toward leaner and more athletic linemen. Fisher is a stud who projects to the left side, but shouldn’t have trouble playing on the right for a season or two. With a great Senior Bowl and impressive combine Fisher has closed the gap on Luke Joeckel with a great post season.

5. Detroit Lions (4-12)
Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
The Lions play the Packers and Bears high-powered passing attack a combined four times a year. If the Lions have any hope of getting back to the playoffs they need to sure up their secondary. Milliner is the best corner in the draft and has the size to match up with the big receivers in the division. Milliner answered all speed questions running a 4.38 forty at the combine and firmly established himself as the top corner in the draft.

6. Cleveland Browns (5-11)
Dion Jordan, DE/OLB, Oregon
The Browns are switching to a 3-4 under new DC Ray Horton and are in a perfect spot to have their choice between a couple very talented 3-4 OLBs. Jordan would be a great fit in Horton’s defense. His versatility to drop into coverage as well as pass rush make him a coaches dream. Jordan is coming off a fantastic combine where he firmly established his stock as a top 10 player. By draft day he might not make it to the sixth pick, but I know the Cleveland brass is high on Jordan.

7. Arizona Cardinals (5-11)
Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma
Fresh off his dominating Senior Bowl performance and one of the best combine efforts from an offensive lineman ever. Johnson has elevated his stock into the top ten. The Cardinals absolutely must find a left tackle in this draft and it would be a huge mistake to pass on such an athletic tackle, who has an unlimited upside. With a LT in the fold, they can turn their attention to a QB later in the draft.

8. Buffalo Bills (6-10)
Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
The Bills have a new Defensive Coordinator in Mike Pettine, who comes from the Rex Ryan school of defense. I think Buffalo needs to continue to amass pass rushing assets and become more disruptive as a defense. If Jarvis Jones’ back checks out alright, he could be a steal here. He can play SLB, 3-4 OLB, 4-3 DE or a hybrid role. Either way he is a disruptive presence who paired with Mario Williams would form a scary combination.

9. New York Jets (6-10)
Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU
The aging Jets linebacker and pass rush corps gets a major boost with the addition of Mingo, who I believe is the best pass rusher in the draft. He has the ability to play a hybrid rush position in Rex Ryan’s defense. Mingo showed off his athleticism at the combine running a 4.58 forty and one of the best 3-Cones in a long time. He also looked fluid in OLB drills, which will only improve his draft stock.

10. Tennessee Titans (6-10)
Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama
The Titans are able to fill a huge need by landing the best OG in the draft. Warmack has the ability to play at a high level right away. The Titans are at their best when they are able to run the ball effectively. Getting a dominating run blocker like Warmack, should open up some better run lanes for CJ2K and limit backfield disruption, which was a problem last year in Tennessee.

11. San Diego Chargers (7-9)
Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina
The Chargers desperately need to improve their offensive line play and with a run on talented OL, need to pull the trigger early. Cooper is an elite prospect with unreal movement skills for a 311 pound player. His ability to pull, get to the second level and play in space will make him highly sought. Coming off a near perfect combine, Cooper’s stock is rising quickly.

12. Miami Dolphins (7-9)
Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
It’s painfully clear the Dolphins need at least one play-maker at the WR position. QB Ryan Tannehill showed enough promise in his rookie season to feel optimistic about the future, but he’s going to need some help. Patterson is a big, physical athletic specimen. He has the ability to stretch the field vertically and impact the run and return games. Patterson has an upside as high as any player, but may take sometime to adjust to NFL route tree.

13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (7-9)
Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State
The Buccaneers really struggled to rush the passer last season and their best rusher is a free agent. Thanks to a run on offensive linemen, some of the top defensive ends slide down the draft board. Werner is NFL ready and can be plugged into the Buccaneers 4-3 front. While his upside isn’t as high as other pass rushers, his floor is higher in my opinion.

14. Carolina Panthers (7-9)
Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
The Panthers really need to address their poor run defense early on in this draft. There is so much talent at the defensive tackle position and the Panthers will get their choice. Richardson ability to get into the backfield and disrupt plays is needed in Carolina. He also offers pass rush upside and a great motor. If he keeps his head screwed on straight, he will be a stud in the NFL.

15. New Orleans Saints (7-9)
Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
Making the change to a 3-4 front isn’t easy when most NFL teams are switching with you. Adding a player like Star Lotulelei will make that transition much easier. He can be a dominate NT with his ability to play with power and quickness. He can also play in the 5-Technique where he can take on blocks and let the LB make plays. If his heart condition checks out, I expect Star to go much higher on draft day.

16. St. Louis Rams (7-8-1)
Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
The Rams would love to get their hands on one of the five elite OL in this draft, but that appears unlikely as of now. Instead the Rams are able to get one of the best safeties in the draft and one of the most versatile defenders. Vaccaro’s ability to play FS, SS, and slot cornerback will make him a good fit in a young and rebuilding Rams defense. A secondary with Janoris Jenkins, Kenny Vaccaro and Cortland Finnegan is going to be good for years to come.

CONTINUE TO PICKS 17-32

Continue to Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Tags: 2013 NFL Draft, Luke Joeckel, Mock Draft, NFL Mock Draft, Tyrann Mathieu

53 Responses to “Mike Loyko’s Early March Mock Draft”

1. steve earle says:

Oh boy, this mock looks way off base to me. Tyrann Mathieu in the 3rd? No way, the guy is great from the neck down but with his history? Best a 7th along with Ray Ray Armstrong. Another team wants either of them befor that, good luck. Now how does Woods slide all the way to 59? I don’t believe that, wishful thinking. Trufant with 21, gotta love that if he makes it that far. But boy!

2. Stephen S says:

Nice Job Mike
    A Few thoughts that come to mind
    Tyrann Mathieu reminds me of Janoris Jenkins last year talented but troubled and BB didnt want to have anything to do with Janoris so not sure about that pick maybe Ryan Swope
    Second Pick the only thing that concerns me with Woods is his durability issues but hey look at who they picked a couple of years ago at CB and has problems staying healthy and Rasi Dawling
    1st pick I like just not sure he will be there at 29 for the Pats

3. AM says:

Trufant is a fantastic pick in the first round, but the rest of the Patriots’s picks in this mock are so-so. The fascination with Mathieu in some quarters is baffling–for a DB, he’s short, slight, and slow(ish), with sky-high character concerns. He looks like a slot corner at best, with quality special teams value. Nothing wrong with Woods, and it’s a good spot for him value-wise, but if the draft board falls this way I’d trade back in the second round. If forced to go DB and WR, I’d rather take Tony Jefferson at the bottom of the second and Aaron Dobson at the bottom of the third.

Agree completely with your view on Mathieu. If he’s around at one of our 7th’s fine but that’s all. Really though I think this mock is more wishful thinking then anything else.

4. Matt says:

One of the worst Lions mocks I have seen. First of all Ansah is a top 8 pick for sure, and the Lions love him. The best way to fix defending the pass is to sack the QB or pressure him. Ansah has sick abilities and the Lions coached him in the Wide 9 at the senior bowl and he has the player of the game their. The Lions running game problem is not with their backs its with their OL. Lacey is exactly the same type of back they have on the roster. They are looking to sign Bush or draft a fast back in the later rounds. In the second round they will draft the best Safety available. That is a major whole on the defense. In the third round look for them to take a OG that can play right away or an OLB. The Lions will address the WR in FA as well as the CB. They will either resign Houston or sign Grimes.
    1. Ansah
    2. Phillip Thomas or Elam
    3. Greene (OLB) or Worford (OG)

• Mike Loyko says:

Thats great. 1) Phillip Thomas is not worth close to a top 40 pick. 2) Elam was gone with your second round pick. 3) Greene and Warford gone by your third round pick. Resigning Chris Houston should solve all the Lions pass defense problems.

• J H TARBORO says:

Mike Loyko i like your mock draft and keep up the good work. Also, i think the Patriots can keep Tyrann Matheiu in check if we got him, remember the Patriots has every college’s 4yr. starter or team captain. On this site, we must stop this puritanical attitude about certain players we’ve never met, is there no 2nd chances or redemption. Tyrann is a young kid who made some mistakes, we were young once. The Patriots could get this kid’s best because of who we are as a team and Tyrann is one hell of a CB!!! just sayin!!!

JH, Nothing against 2nd chances but you must realize Tyrann had 2nd 3rd 4th and more chances at LSU but didn’t take them seriously. Now when anNFL contract might be on line he’s all reformed, so he says. Maybe yes maybe no. That’s why he is a hugh risk. Other, he’s small for an NFL corner, I think I read 5-8 178 lbs. Not doubting his athletic ability or desire just question wisdom of taking him with one of three meaningful picks we have. Nothing puitanical about it just good sense.

• J H TARBORO says:

Steve E. On many levels you make sense about the plck, i always feel like it come back to haunt us. Tyrann had the something special about how he moved at the combine that other CBs didn’t have that were rated much higher. thank for your insight and opinion steve e.

5. Jim R says:

They address a bunch of needs with those picks, The DB’s are needed. Woods is a guy I think will work here.

6. Ken W says:

I would be pretty happy with this but this would be my Ideal situation:

#29 – Xavier Rhodes CB
    #59 – Alex Okafor DE
    #91- TJ McDonald S

I just found a great site that had statistical breakdowns of some draft prospects that was really interesting. Okafor had the fastest avg. time to get to the QB and the 2nd highest strength of schedule. secondroundstats.com

Good looking draft you have KenW. Sure better then Mike did but hey we all have off days. Thanks for the heads up on this site you found I’ll be checking it out soon.

Great site, secondroundstats.com, you found. Boy, I’m impressed with Akafor’s stats, your right to put him in your mock. Wish they had something on def line other then de’s. Still what they have is very good stuff.

• Ken W says:

Yah they break it down pretty well. Its one thing to say, o this guy is great he had 20 sacks this year but half of them were cover sacks and 5 of them were against bad teams. This given a better view at the numbers these guys put up.

7. patsfan says:

love the mock. Still think we need to trade back and could still get most of this done but with adding a 2nd and a 4th. It is going to be a long 2 months till the draft.

• Trev says:

I agree that trading back into the early/mid second round would be ideal, but you have to have a team who is willing to move up if you want to move down. I’m not convinced that anyone will want to trade up into the late first this year, so I’m preparing to be stuck at #29.

Me too Trev. I just don’t think there are any qb’s out there any team would be willing to give an extra choice for and unless some team is in love, well with the depth available why should they be?

• AM says:

Agreed. Best bets might be Jacksonville or Arizona wanting to move up to grab Barkley or Nassib, and not wanting Buffalo to beat them to the punch. Like you say, there’s always the chance that some team loves some particular player (a la the Saints and Mark Ingram), but all in all, seems like a very weak trade market.

Re: AM comment on trading back I have a short list for my 29. I’ve added Alex Okafor after reading info on site Trev provided yesterday so I have 6 guys on it. Now if those 6 are gone x 29 trading down is good but for what is always the ?. I’d want a high 2nd and at least a high 4th to make it worthwhile. What are the thought of others out there?

Appoligies to Ken W it was he that found the new site not Trev.

• AM says:

My realistic short list would be Datone Jones, Trufant, Vaccaro, Hopkins, and Austin (to whom I have gradually come around). Unless there is a surprise free-faller who ends up at #29, I’d trade back if these aren’t available.

8. Russell Easterbrooks says:

Interesting Mock, Mike! Did not see CB Darius Slay?
    I have a hard time seeing BB passing on Barrett Jones with TWO picks. I really think this guy will be an all-pro at OG in the future. I also expect BB to surprise us with the 3d pick, someone he can target, yet know he will be around at #91.
    This is what I think;

#29- DT Brandon Williams
    #59- OG/C Barrett Jones
    #91- CB Micah Hyde

• Mike Loyko says:

Nothing like coming out of the first three rounds with 2 third round talents and a 5th-6th rounder.

• STEVEN says:

@Mike. Love the 1st two picks, high on both players. Still not sold on Tyrann. How bout back to back WR(Rogers, Swope). @ R.E. ur killin me here. Pats already have those type players on roster.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

The value of these guys FAR exceeds thier mock draft order, and the entangables on these guy is through the roof. I have had fairly good luck with drafts in the past, and it’s still early, but I like these guys, and think BB does as well.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

You know BB if he targets a guy, he will draft him anywhere, look at last year Wilson a 5th round guy, a 2nd. Ebner an undrafted player with a 5th !

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Also the quality of Brandon Williams, Barrett Jones, FAR exceeds thier Mock draft order !!

• STEVEN says:

Hope u know im not being disrespectful RE.Its just im exspecting something more inspiring, Some top talent with the right amount of FA’S, Some beef in next year. It is ny belief would stay strong n compeat, to open up the box.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Sorry I missed Darius Slay, Mike 2nd round looks right for him.

• AM says:

Nothing like a little unnecessary vitriol for no particular reason.

• Trev says:

Yeah, no offense Man, but I would hate this draft. I like what you’re thinking with Jones, as he is a smart, sound prospect, but I agree with Mike that physically he is a 3rd round talent. I’d be fine with reaching a bit for him at #59, but I can’t get on board with the other 2 picks.

I don’t know Russell but you keep insisting you know what Bill is thinking and what he will or won’t do. Now you have some good ideas but face it your guessing just like the rest of us. Plus you keep throwing out different names, scattering them all over your mocks. Today you have Brandon Williams at 29 and Jones at 59. Yesterday Jones was 29, a can’t passup guy. And where did Hyde come from? As far as I can remember you have never mentioned him before? The more you do these kinds of things the more confusion your projecting. At least your confusing me.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I look at What I think BB likes, and who he may target. When I see Mocks with Barett Jones in the 3d round, this would mean BB passed on him Twice, NO-way. I also think DT Brandon Williams WILL be a BB targeted player, 1st or 2nd round.
        Lastly by the #91 pick if your looking for a CB then see what is out there, Hyde plays very well on tape just not well known. I like CB Poyer, WR Wheaton, but you can’t have everybody you want! BB is going to trade choices as well, SO it’s not so much about what # pick as it is the players he will draft.
        When it comes to BB there is a differance between GUESSING and a logical pick based on informative, information and BB entangables. A week before the draft I will list the 5 names I think are BB’s draft picks, and see how I do.

Okay, I’m good with you picking 5 names day before, but my observations stand. You did list your choices as 1,2, &3 and flipped them from the mock on the 1st to today on the 4th. You site informative infomation whatever or whoever that is but still from everything I’ve ever read or heard about BB drafting and deals he keeps his cards very close to the vest. I’m not saying your wrong just that every mock you do is different and many of the names are those of players way down on everyones scales. One week you may have one set of names then the next 3 different. I try to keep up but you are keeping me busy. I also wonder about your assurance that Bill “targets” individual guys. Take this year with 3 picks. How can he target only 3 and be assured he will get them unless he reaches like crazy? Yes he did that last year but thats the only time I can say he clearly did that. It appears to me that he has a short list of players for each pick, trades down if they are gone then has another short list for the new position. It’s the only way his actions make sence to me. This is why you confuse me.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

when BB targets players, it is someone he wants, and will try to get at anytime in the draft. BB’s dad wrote a get book on Scouting players, it’s out of print but very interesting! Last year I think BB targeted 4 players out of his picks.
          This year with only 5 picks I would think BB will target maybe 2 players, others players on his board are scored.
          A player like Barrett Jones would have a score in the low 90′s, so he would be a great pick at #29, BUT BB’s targeted player comes first, I think DT Brandon Williams. So at #59 Barrett Jones is STILL on the board with a score of 90, then BB grabs him. By #91 any targeted players would have to be a player not so well known, OR a player on the board with value, (keeping needs in mind) (last year Wilson, and later Ebner were targeted)
          So I feel a player like CB Hyde, could be a later targeted player. Some would say guessing, but if you watch tape and look for talent, yu are making a logical pick based on the players evalueation. I just stated the draft game listed on this site, I bought players in the draft, and my players stock went up 167 in one day. So the key is an eye for value/talent.

• J H TARBORO says:

Russell, i hope BB likes playmakers as the public and the media keeps insisting and if we do, i hope we do the right thing. When free agency starts we will see how all these mock drafts play out. Defense in this draft will be adressed, i have all the faith that it will be. Over the last 2 months i know that you like Poyer and Wheaton and i like them also but as i said before a difference maker at #29 is Tavon Austin. I have heard rumblings from teams in the AFC about Austin and that’s down right scary especially to Denver at 28 or Houston at 27 think about it!

TH, we can’t do anything about rumblings about Austin to Denver or Houston, what will be will be. My problem with Austin is his size. Other then that he’s great. Will he last in the Nfl is my concern, We only have 3 picks that matter in this draft and can not afford a single mistake. Yes I’d draft in a defensive manor not take any risks this year with our top 3. That would omit Austin from my consideration. Nor would I look at an offensive player at 29 because we must fix our def 1st. I’d like a good wr but only if hes a real value. Also I would be very content with all def draft and hope for help with off by FA.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Just to many good players, and not eough choices ! I like WR Wheaton But it seems he will go mid-2nd. I guess we would have to take him at #29, which I don’t see BB doing. CB Banks has dropped so we could get him at #29. It also seems Barrett Jones will be on the board at #29, maybe #59!!! Poyer maybe there at #59.
          So if BB wants a Target guy like DT Brandon Williams do you wait till #59 and hope he’s there??

BB will make a trade, to get more Picks. Idealy TWO 2nds, and pick up extra picks 3d or 4th.

As you say Russell, many good players few choices. I could see BB trading 29 if players available then do not grade out or if individual ” targeted” isn’t there. Still I look at likely prospects around then and ask how could Bill not grab one of them because 4 to 6 guys look to meet both talent and needs at that point.

• acm says:

Seems to me reversed the picks for Jones and Williams. The latter would be a reach of a reach at 29, imo, and is unlikely to get drafted before the 3rd, so if BB wants to reach for him, 59 would be a great pace to do so.

As for Jones, I can’t agree with Mike L. that he is a 3rd round talent – personally I expect him to go anywhere between 25 to 40 range and actually expect the Pack to get him with their 1st rounder unless one of Joeckel, Fischer, Johnson, Warmack, Cooper miraculously falls there.

So, best guess is, you meant Jones at 29 and Williams at 59 … or at least that would make more sense to me.

As for Hyde, I think there would be far better talent at the end of the 3rd to spend that draft pick on, including CB or S, and even trading down for a 4th and a 5th would make more sense than spending the 91st on Hyde … just not getting much value there with him, imo.

• kdog says:

Here’s my $.02 on your picks, Russell.

You may be right about the specific players BB will eventually go after, but I haven’t seen him reach much in the 1st round. The biggest reaches relative to projections were probably Mankins and Watson, but those were 2nd round projections taken at #32. In the 1st round, I think BB confines himself to players that make the grade as elite physical talents. – 4.4 CBs and 6’7 OTs and 265lb LBs. Does Williams fall in this category? He’s big and strong, but is he quick/fast enough to warrant the pick? If BB likes him, I could see him trading back past #40 or so before pulling the trigger. But if you’re confining yourself to a no-trade mock, Trufant makes the most sense here.

Another thing – you say BB targets certain players, but I thought it was otherwise – that he ranks players in tiers and will trade back if several players are available from the same tier.

One final pet peeve – it’s “intangibles” with an “i”

9. Jagsman says:

id be kinda dissapointed from the jags draft.

Floyd, Banks, Montgomery isnt that sexy of a draft to me.

i could get floyd cuz he can play both the Jumbo end and DT spot but something just tells me he isnt gonna work out. much rather address corner with Milliner/rhodes(i think Rhodes is the perfect Press corner).

2nd round pick is good cuz we need lots of CB Help. i mean cox, Mathis, and Middleton are free agents. Harris looks like an inside corner and ross should be cut cuz he sucks and isnt worth the pay.

the 3rd round i would be HIGHLY disspointed in not taking an Offensive linemen. i would go with Watson or thomas instead of frederick cuz i dont think frederick fits the Zone Blocking Scheme.

10. Jim in Blo says:

If the Bills first three picks went this way, most Bills fans would be verrrrry happy.

11. Trev says:

Truant, Woods, & Mathieu? I’d take that haul any day. Throw in a solid DL, WR, & S in FA and I’d say we are set. What is your thought on the Ryan Mallett trade rumors? Any possibility of him being dealt on draft day, and what would we be able to get for him? Great mock!

Trev, suggest you have a look at what AM said about Mathieu. Guys a high risk. Trufant is great. I’m concerned with injurys with Woods. As for trades don’t hold your breath. I would not expect anything until draft day when some fool gets desperate.
      We have the two 7ths. How about Ray Ray Armstrong and Mathieu with them. I mean what the heck we could strike gold but if led no big loss.

• J H TARBORO says:

Steve Earle Maybe we should take Tyrann M in the 3rd round we could handle him here in New England, plus the Patriots needs an edgey player in the secondary the reason we liked Talib.