Mike Loyko’s Early March Mock Draft

33. Jacksonville Jaguars
Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State
New head coach Gus Bradley is one of the best defensive minds in the game. His defenses in Seattle were built on great secondary play. Banks is a big, aggressive corner who has very good zone instincts and is fearless vs. the run. After adding Werner in round one, the Jags add another piece to rebuild the defense around. No doubt Banks’ forty time is a little worrisome, but he’s the type of corner Gus Bradley likes.

34. San Francisco 49ers (via Kansas City)
Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State
With the pick acquire for backup QB Alex Smith, the 49ers are able to get a defensive contributor to play right away. Hankins frame isn’t pretty, but he can play anywhere on the DL. In San Francisco’s defense he can play on the nose and flashed agility and movement skills despite bring a little out of shape at the combine.

35. Philadelphia Eagles
Eric Reid, S, LSU
The Eagles have missed on a number of high safety selections in the past, making it a big area of need heading into the 2013 draft. With a new coaching staff in place the Eagles appear to be rebuilding their secondary. Reid is my top safety in the draft, he can do a little bit of everything and is one of the best athletes at the position in the draft. He will add stability on the back end.

36. Detroit Lions
Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama
If the Lions are able to come out of the first two rounds with Eddie Lacy and Dee Milliner look out. These two players will arguably the two biggest needs on the roster. While they still need to add a pass rusher, getting the top RB in the draft who can be a bell-cow is better value.

37. Cincinnati Bengals
Margus Hunt, DE, SMU
The Bengals just franchised Michael Johnson for 11 million dollars. Even with him on the roster they need another pass rusher to bookend with him. Hunt fits the profile of what the Bengals look for, a big, tall, athletic rusher with a high upside. Hunt is raw, new to the game and struggles to play with leverage, but is a freak athlete. He’s the biggest boom or bust prospect in the draft.

38. Arizona Cardinals
Matt Barkley, QB, USC
The Cardinals opted to pass on a QB in round one and it pays off. Barkley is the clear cut #2 QB in this draft and would fill a major need area for Arizona. Adding Lane Johnson in round one and Barkley in round two is perhaps the best case scenario for Cardinal fans. Bruce Arians would have a near complete offense to compete wtih in the NFC West.

XX. Cleveland Browns
The Browns forfeit this pick after using it in the supplemental draft.

39. New York Jets
Mike Glennon, QB, North Carolina State
The Jets haven’t been shy about the fact that they are going to bring in competition at the QB position. Glennon is a big pocket passer with a good arm. There’s no doubt he can make all the NFL throws, but he will take some time to mold into a starting Quarterback. The Jets need to get a young QB that offers the fanbase some hope and Glennon could be the guy.

40. Tennessee Titans
Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State
The Titans pass defense was embarrassing last year. They were unable to deal with the loss of Cortland Finnegan and it cost them all season. By drafting a physical CB like Taylor they can slot their CB into place given them the depth they need to compete. While their safety play was horrible last year as well, Michael Griffin will be back and they just signed George Wilson.

41. Buffalo Bills
Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse
The Doug Marrone-Ryan Nassib connection is tough to ignore. The Bills need a QB and who better than the kid their new head coach coached at Syracuse. While I don’t think (I hope) the Bills will pick Nassib in the top ten. It would be tough for them to pass on Nassib if he makes it to their second round pick.

42. Miami Dolphins
Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon State
The Dolphins chose to trade Vontae Davis prior to the season and have a decision to make on CB Sean Smith who is a free agent. Poyer is a tremendous cover corner. He can play in a variety of different coverages, including press and off man. He isn’t the fastest corner, but is always in the proper position and has really good instincts in coverage.

43. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
David Amerson, CB, North Carolina State
After letting Aqib Talib go the Buccaneers definitely need to sure up the back end. Playing in the NFC South the Bucs play six games against very good QBs and need to get better vs. the pass or they will continue to be just mediocre. Amerson is a bigger corner who can match up vs. the more physical receivers in the NFC South. He’s coming off a very good combine where he ran faster than everyone expected.

44. Carolina Panthers
DJ Swearinger, S, South Carolina
The Panthers got lucky in round one after Sheldon Richardson fell into their laps and they get an impact safety in the second. While getting a WR here would be smart, Swearinger is the last of the top tier of safeties. Getting two defensive starters in the first two rounds, allow the Panthers to turn their attention to the receiver position in the third round.

XX. New Orleans Saints
The Saints forfeited this pick due to NFL Sanctions.

45. San Diego Chargers
DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
The Chargers struggled to stay healthy and productive at the WR all throughout last season. Hopkins has some of the best hands in the draft and should be able to replace the disaster that is Robert Meachem.

46. St. Louis Rams
Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
After addressing their two biggest needs in the first round the Rams continue to rebuild their WR position with the reliable and dynamic Patton. He has some of the best body-control and off the snap quickness in the draft. At the Senior Bowl he showed very good hands and proved he can play against the best defenders in the nation.

47. Dallas Cowboys
Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky
After missing out on all the top OL in the first round the Cowboys get one of the top OG left in the draft. It’s no secret the Cowboys interior line was a mess last season and the massive and powerful Warford will add some stability.

CONTINUE TO PICKS 48-62

Continue to Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Tags: 2013 NFL Draft, Luke Joeckel, Mock Draft, NFL Mock Draft, Tyrann Mathieu

53 Responses to “Mike Loyko’s Early March Mock Draft”

1. Oh boy, this mock looks way off base to me. Tyrann Mathieu in the 3rd? No way, the guy is great from the neck down but with his history? Best a 7th along with Ray Ray Armstrong. Another team wants either of them befor that, good luck. Now how does Woods slide all the way to 59? I don’t believe that, wishful thinking. Trufant with 21, gotta love that if he makes it that far. But boy!

2. Stephen S says:

Nice Job Mike
    A Few thoughts that come to mind
    Tyrann Mathieu reminds me of Janoris Jenkins last year talented but troubled and BB didnt want to have anything to do with Janoris so not sure about that pick maybe Ryan Swope
    Second Pick the only thing that concerns me with Woods is his durability issues but hey look at who they picked a couple of years ago at CB and has problems staying healthy and Rasi Dawling
    1st pick I like just not sure he will be there at 29 for the Pats

3. AM says:

Trufant is a fantastic pick in the first round, but the rest of the Patriots’s picks in this mock are so-so. The fascination with Mathieu in some quarters is baffling–for a DB, he’s short, slight, and slow(ish), with sky-high character concerns. He looks like a slot corner at best, with quality special teams value. Nothing wrong with Woods, and it’s a good spot for him value-wise, but if the draft board falls this way I’d trade back in the second round. If forced to go DB and WR, I’d rather take Tony Jefferson at the bottom of the second and Aaron Dobson at the bottom of the third.

• Agree completely with your view on Mathieu. If he’s around at one of our 7th’s fine but that’s all. Really though I think this mock is more wishful thinking then anything else.

4. Matt says:

One of the worst Lions mocks I have seen. First of all Ansah is a top 8 pick for sure, and the Lions love him. The best way to fix defending the pass is to sack the QB or pressure him. Ansah has sick abilities and the Lions coached him in the Wide 9 at the senior bowl and he has the player of the game their. The Lions running game problem is not with their backs its with their OL. Lacey is exactly the same type of back they have on the roster. They are looking to sign Bush or draft a fast back in the later rounds. In the second round they will draft the best Safety available. That is a major whole on the defense. In the third round look for them to take a OG that can play right away or an OLB. The Lions will address the WR in FA as well as the CB. They will either resign Houston or sign Grimes.
    1. Ansah
    2. Phillip Thomas or Elam
    3. Greene (OLB) or Worford (OG)

• Mike Loyko says:

Thats great. 1) Phillip Thomas is not worth close to a top 40 pick. 2) Elam was gone with your second round pick. 3) Greene and Warford gone by your third round pick. Resigning Chris Houston should solve all the Lions pass defense problems.

• J H TARBORO says:

Mike Loyko i like your mock draft and keep up the good work. Also, i think the Patriots can keep Tyrann Matheiu in check if we got him, remember the Patriots has every college’s 4yr. starter or team captain. On this site, we must stop this puritanical attitude about certain players we’ve never met, is there no 2nd chances or redemption. Tyrann is a young kid who made some mistakes, we were young once. The Patriots could get this kid’s best because of who we are as a team and Tyrann is one hell of a CB!!! just sayin!!!

JH, Nothing against 2nd chances but you must realize Tyrann had 2nd 3rd 4th and more chances at LSU but didn’t take them seriously. Now when anNFL contract might be on line he’s all reformed, so he says. Maybe yes maybe no. That’s why he is a hugh risk. Other, he’s small for an NFL corner, I think I read 5-8 178 lbs. Not doubting his athletic ability or desire just question wisdom of taking him with one of three meaningful picks we have. Nothing puitanical about it just good sense.

• J H TARBORO says:

Steve E. On many levels you make sense about the plck, i always feel like it come back to haunt us. Tyrann had the something special about how he moved at the combine that other CBs didn’t have that were rated much higher. thank for your insight and opinion steve e.

5. Jim R says:

They address a bunch of needs with those picks, The DB’s are needed. Woods is a guy I think will work here.

6. Ken W says:

I would be pretty happy with this but this would be my Ideal situation:

#29 – Xavier Rhodes CB
    #59 – Alex Okafor DE
    #91- TJ McDonald S

I just found a great site that had statistical breakdowns of some draft prospects that was really interesting. Okafor had the fastest avg. time to get to the QB and the 2nd highest strength of schedule. secondroundstats.com

• Good looking draft you have KenW. Sure better then Mike did but hey we all have off days. Thanks for the heads up on this site you found I’ll be checking it out soon.

• Great site, secondroundstats.com, you found. Boy, I’m impressed with Akafor’s stats, your right to put him in your mock. Wish they had something on def line other then de’s. Still what they have is very good stuff.

• Ken W says:

Yah they break it down pretty well. Its one thing to say, o this guy is great he had 20 sacks this year but half of them were cover sacks and 5 of them were against bad teams. This given a better view at the numbers these guys put up.

7. patsfan says:

love the mock. Still think we need to trade back and could still get most of this done but with adding a 2nd and a 4th. It is going to be a long 2 months till the draft.

• Trev says:

I agree that trading back into the early/mid second round would be ideal, but you have to have a team who is willing to move up if you want to move down. I’m not convinced that anyone will want to trade up into the late first this year, so I’m preparing to be stuck at #29.

• Me too Trev. I just don’t think there are any qb’s out there any team would be willing to give an extra choice for and unless some team is in love, well with the depth available why should they be?

• AM says:

Agreed. Best bets might be Jacksonville or Arizona wanting to move up to grab Barkley or Nassib, and not wanting Buffalo to beat them to the punch. Like you say, there’s always the chance that some team loves some particular player (a la the Saints and Mark Ingram), but all in all, seems like a very weak trade market.

Re: AM comment on trading back I have a short list for my 29. I’ve added Alex Okafor after reading info on site Trev provided yesterday so I have 6 guys on it. Now if those 6 are gone x 29 trading down is good but for what is always the ?. I’d want a high 2nd and at least a high 4th to make it worthwhile. What are the thought of others out there?

Appoligies to Ken W it was he that found the new site not Trev.

• AM says:

My realistic short list would be Datone Jones, Trufant, Vaccaro, Hopkins, and Austin (to whom I have gradually come around). Unless there is a surprise free-faller who ends up at #29, I’d trade back if these aren’t available.

8. Russell Easterbrooks says:

Interesting Mock, Mike! Did not see CB Darius Slay?
    I have a hard time seeing BB passing on Barrett Jones with TWO picks. I really think this guy will be an all-pro at OG in the future. I also expect BB to surprise us with the 3d pick, someone he can target, yet know he will be around at #91.
    This is what I think;

#29- DT Brandon Williams
    #59- OG/C Barrett Jones
    #91- CB Micah Hyde

• Mike Loyko says:

Nothing like coming out of the first three rounds with 2 third round talents and a 5th-6th rounder.

• STEVEN says:

@Mike. Love the 1st two picks, high on both players. Still not sold on Tyrann. How bout back to back WR(Rogers, Swope). @ R.E. ur killin me here. Pats already have those type players on roster.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

The value of these guys FAR exceeds thier mock draft order, and the entangables on these guy is through the roof. I have had fairly good luck with drafts in the past, and it’s still early, but I like these guys, and think BB does as well.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

You know BB if he targets a guy, he will draft him anywhere, look at last year Wilson a 5th round guy, a 2nd. Ebner an undrafted player with a 5th !

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Also the quality of Brandon Williams, Barrett Jones, FAR exceeds thier Mock draft order !!

• STEVEN says:

Hope u know im not being disrespectful RE.Its just im exspecting something more inspiring, Some top talent with the right amount of FA’S, Some beef in next year. It is ny belief would stay strong n compeat, to open up the box.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Sorry I missed Darius Slay, Mike 2nd round looks right for him.

• AM says:

Nothing like a little unnecessary vitriol for no particular reason.

• Trev says:

Yeah, no offense Man, but I would hate this draft. I like what you’re thinking with Jones, as he is a smart, sound prospect, but I agree with Mike that physically he is a 3rd round talent. I’d be fine with reaching a bit for him at #59, but I can’t get on board with the other 2 picks.

• I don’t know Russell but you keep insisting you know what Bill is thinking and what he will or won’t do. Now you have some good ideas but face it your guessing just like the rest of us. Plus you keep throwing out different names, scattering them all over your mocks. Today you have Brandon Williams at 29 and Jones at 59. Yesterday Jones was 29, a can’t passup guy. And where did Hyde come from? As far as I can remember you have never mentioned him before? The more you do these kinds of things the more confusion your projecting. At least your confusing me.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I look at What I think BB likes, and who he may target. When I see Mocks with Barett Jones in the 3d round, this would mean BB passed on him Twice, NO-way. I also think DT Brandon Williams WILL be a BB targeted player, 1st or 2nd round.
        Lastly by the #91 pick if your looking for a CB then see what is out there, Hyde plays very well on tape just not well known. I like CB Poyer, WR Wheaton, but you can’t have everybody you want! BB is going to trade choices as well, SO it’s not so much about what # pick as it is the players he will draft.
        When it comes to BB there is a differance between GUESSING and a logical pick based on informative, information and BB entangables. A week before the draft I will list the 5 names I think are BB’s draft picks, and see how I do.

• Okay, I’m good with you picking 5 names day before, but my observations stand. You did list your choices as 1,2, &3 and flipped them from the mock on the 1st to today on the 4th. You site informative infomation whatever or whoever that is but still from everything I’ve ever read or heard about BB drafting and deals he keeps his cards very close to the vest. I’m not saying your wrong just that every mock you do is different and many of the names are those of players way down on everyones scales. One week you may have one set of names then the next 3 different. I try to keep up but you are keeping me busy. I also wonder about your assurance that Bill “targets” individual guys. Take this year with 3 picks. How can he target only 3 and be assured he will get them unless he reaches like crazy? Yes he did that last year but thats the only time I can say he clearly did that. It appears to me that he has a short list of players for each pick, trades down if they are gone then has another short list for the new position. It’s the only way his actions make sence to me. This is why you confuse me.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

when BB targets players, it is someone he wants, and will try to get at anytime in the draft. BB’s dad wrote a get book on Scouting players, it’s out of print but very interesting! Last year I think BB targeted 4 players out of his picks.
          This year with only 5 picks I would think BB will target maybe 2 players, others players on his board are scored.
          A player like Barrett Jones would have a score in the low 90′s, so he would be a great pick at #29, BUT BB’s targeted player comes first, I think DT Brandon Williams. So at #59 Barrett Jones is STILL on the board with a score of 90, then BB grabs him. By #91 any targeted players would have to be a player not so well known, OR a player on the board with value, (keeping needs in mind) (last year Wilson, and later Ebner were targeted)
          So I feel a player like CB Hyde, could be a later targeted player. Some would say guessing, but if you watch tape and look for talent, yu are making a logical pick based on the players evalueation. I just stated the draft game listed on this site, I bought players in the draft, and my players stock went up 167 in one day. So the key is an eye for value/talent.

• J H TARBORO says:

Russell, i hope BB likes playmakers as the public and the media keeps insisting and if we do, i hope we do the right thing. When free agency starts we will see how all these mock drafts play out. Defense in this draft will be adressed, i have all the faith that it will be. Over the last 2 months i know that you like Poyer and Wheaton and i like them also but as i said before a difference maker at #29 is Tavon Austin. I have heard rumblings from teams in the AFC about Austin and that’s down right scary especially to Denver at 28 or Houston at 27 think about it!

TH, we can’t do anything about rumblings about Austin to Denver or Houston, what will be will be. My problem with Austin is his size. Other then that he’s great. Will he last in the Nfl is my concern, We only have 3 picks that matter in this draft and can not afford a single mistake. Yes I’d draft in a defensive manor not take any risks this year with our top 3. That would omit Austin from my consideration. Nor would I look at an offensive player at 29 because we must fix our def 1st. I’d like a good wr but only if hes a real value. Also I would be very content with all def draft and hope for help with off by FA.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Just to many good players, and not eough choices ! I like WR Wheaton But it seems he will go mid-2nd. I guess we would have to take him at #29, which I don’t see BB doing. CB Banks has dropped so we could get him at #29. It also seems Barrett Jones will be on the board at #29, maybe #59!!! Poyer maybe there at #59.
          So if BB wants a Target guy like DT Brandon Williams do you wait till #59 and hope he’s there??

BB will make a trade, to get more Picks. Idealy TWO 2nds, and pick up extra picks 3d or 4th.

As you say Russell, many good players few choices. I could see BB trading 29 if players available then do not grade out or if individual ” targeted” isn’t there. Still I look at likely prospects around then and ask how could Bill not grab one of them because 4 to 6 guys look to meet both talent and needs at that point.

• acm says:

Seems to me reversed the picks for Jones and Williams. The latter would be a reach of a reach at 29, imo, and is unlikely to get drafted before the 3rd, so if BB wants to reach for him, 59 would be a great pace to do so.

As for Jones, I can’t agree with Mike L. that he is a 3rd round talent – personally I expect him to go anywhere between 25 to 40 range and actually expect the Pack to get him with their 1st rounder unless one of Joeckel, Fischer, Johnson, Warmack, Cooper miraculously falls there.

So, best guess is, you meant Jones at 29 and Williams at 59 … or at least that would make more sense to me.

As for Hyde, I think there would be far better talent at the end of the 3rd to spend that draft pick on, including CB or S, and even trading down for a 4th and a 5th would make more sense than spending the 91st on Hyde … just not getting much value there with him, imo.

• kdog says:

Here’s my $.02 on your picks, Russell.

You may be right about the specific players BB will eventually go after, but I haven’t seen him reach much in the 1st round. The biggest reaches relative to projections were probably Mankins and Watson, but those were 2nd round projections taken at #32. In the 1st round, I think BB confines himself to players that make the grade as elite physical talents. – 4.4 CBs and 6’7 OTs and 265lb LBs. Does Williams fall in this category? He’s big and strong, but is he quick/fast enough to warrant the pick? If BB likes him, I could see him trading back past #40 or so before pulling the trigger. But if you’re confining yourself to a no-trade mock, Trufant makes the most sense here.

Another thing – you say BB targets certain players, but I thought it was otherwise – that he ranks players in tiers and will trade back if several players are available from the same tier.

One final pet peeve – it’s “intangibles” with an “i”

9. Jagsman says:

id be kinda dissapointed from the jags draft.

Floyd, Banks, Montgomery isnt that sexy of a draft to me.

i could get floyd cuz he can play both the Jumbo end and DT spot but something just tells me he isnt gonna work out. much rather address corner with Milliner/rhodes(i think Rhodes is the perfect Press corner).

2nd round pick is good cuz we need lots of CB Help. i mean cox, Mathis, and Middleton are free agents. Harris looks like an inside corner and ross should be cut cuz he sucks and isnt worth the pay.

the 3rd round i would be HIGHLY disspointed in not taking an Offensive linemen. i would go with Watson or thomas instead of frederick cuz i dont think frederick fits the Zone Blocking Scheme.

10. Jim in Blo says:

If the Bills first three picks went this way, most Bills fans would be verrrrry happy.

11. Trev says:

Truant, Woods, & Mathieu? I’d take that haul any day. Throw in a solid DL, WR, & S in FA and I’d say we are set. What is your thought on the Ryan Mallett trade rumors? Any possibility of him being dealt on draft day, and what would we be able to get for him? Great mock!

• Trev, suggest you have a look at what AM said about Mathieu. Guys a high risk. Trufant is great. I’m concerned with injurys with Woods. As for trades don’t hold your breath. I would not expect anything until draft day when some fool gets desperate.
      We have the two 7ths. How about Ray Ray Armstrong and Mathieu with them. I mean what the heck we could strike gold but if led no big loss.

• J H TARBORO says:

Steve Earle Maybe we should take Tyrann M in the 3rd round we could handle him here in New England, plus the Patriots needs an edgey player in the secondary the reason we liked Talib.