2013 NFL Draft: New Projections after Free Agency’s First Waves

63. Kansas City Chiefs: William Gholston, DE, Michigan State

The Kansas City Chiefs should be in the market for another 5-technique defensive end to improve their interior pass-rush after the free-agent departure of Glenn Dorsey. Michigan State’s William Gholston is a high-upside player with the size, athleticism and rush ability to be a terrific player if he can overcome inconsistency, and a good fit for the 3-4 defense.

64. Jacksonville Jaguars: Bennie Logan, DT, LSU

The Jacksonville Jaguars lack any particularly disruptive playmakers on their interior defensive line. LSU’s Bennie Logan is an athletic defensive tackle who could provide a much-needed interior pass-rush, and is a high-upside pick worth an early third-round choice.

65. Detroit Lions: Corey Lemonier, DE, Auburn

Considering the Detroit Lions lost their top three defensive ends from last season, double-dipping at the defensive end position would be a smart move in the early rounds. Auburn’s Corey Lemonier is an explosive pass-rusher, one of the best players available and could form a strong pass-rush tandem with Damontre Moore for the next four-plus seasons.

66. Oakland Raiders: Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas

Getting one of the draft’s top quarterbacks in Arkansas’ Tyler Wilson with a third-round pick would be tremendous value for the Oakland Raiders. Without a solid franchise quarterback solution in place, they would be hard-pressed to pass him up.

67. Philadelphia Eagles: David Amerson, CB, North Carolina State

The Philadelphia Eagles have signed a number of defensive backs in free agency, but they still have a serious need for talent, especially at cornerback following the release of Nnamdi Asomugha. North Carolina State’s David Amerson is a boom-or-bust prospect coming off of a rough junior season, but he is good value in Round 3 as a physically-gifted cornerback with exceptional ball skills.

68. Cleveland Browns: Bacarri Rambo, FS, Georgia

The Cleveland Browns’ secondary rebuilding effort should continue with an upgrade at free safety. Georgia’s Bacarri Rambo is an athletic ballhawk and hard hitter who is good value as a third-round selection.

69. Arizona Cardinals: Terron Armstead, OT, Arkansas-Pine Bluff

After addressing other needs with their first two picks, improving the offensive line would be an absolute must for the Arizona Cardinals in Round 3. In need of a left tackle, Arkansas-Pine Bluff’s Terron Armstead is a very promising developmental prospect who could be groomed into the premier pass-protector the Cardinals need to lead their line.

70. Tennessee Titans: Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina

South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore remarkably worked out at South Carolina’s pro day Wednesday, less than six months after suffering a devastating knee injury. Once viewed as a first-round pick and the best running back in the draft class, concerns about the injury have dropped his stock, but he could be a third-round steal if he can return to form upon recovery, and would be a great addition to the Titans offense.

71. Buffalo Bills: Sio Moore, OLB, Connecticut

The Buffalo Bills need to upgrade at linebacker, and Connecticut’s Sio Moore is a rising prospect who could be a good fit for their scheme. Moore can compete for a starting spot at strongside or weakside linebacker, while he can also kick out to the edge as a pass-rushing linebacker in their hybrid defense.

72. New York Jets: Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee

The New York Jets seem to be angling away from drafting a first-round quarterback, but without any franchise quarterback options on the roster, they should at least draft a developmental quarterback in the middle rounds of the draft. Tennessee’s Tyler Bray has the physical tools to be a great quarterback, but needs to become more much consistently accurate.

73. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: B.W. Webb, CB, William and Mary

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have a major need to address at the cornerback position, and it shouldn’t wait past the third round. William and Mary’s B.W. Webb is a small-school standout with the athleticism, physicality and instincts to develop into a very good starting cornerback at the next level.

74. San Francisco 49ers (from Carolina Panthers): Brandon Williams, NT, Missouri Southern State

The San Francisco 49ers could make their great defensive front seven even better by adding a true anchor nose tackle for the middle of their defensive front. Brandon Williams is an intriguing small-school prospect with big potential. He is a massive and powerful nose guard with good quickness for his size.

75. New Orleans Saints: Brandon Jenkins, OLB, Florida State

The New Orleans Saints should continue to rebuild their defensive front seven by adding a pass-rushing outside linebacker at some point in the draft. The Saints attended Florida State’s pro day, and a potential target could be outside linebacker Brandon Jenkins, who is still recovering from a foot injury but has good potential as a conversion rusher.

76. San Diego Chargers: Chris Faulk, OT, LSU

The San Diego Chargers really need to upgrade at offensive tackle, and a solid choice in Round 3 would be LSU’s Chris Faulk. Faulk is coming off of a knee injury which hurts his draft stock, but he is a well-rounded offensive tackle who is effective as both a pass-protector and power run blocker, and could be a potential upgrade on either side of the line.

77. Miami Dolphins: Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU

LSU’s Sam Montgomery has fallen down draft boards due to serious questions about his effort and work ethic, but he is a talented defensive end who would be a great third-round choice for the Dolphins. The Dolphins should be in the market for another pass-rushing defensive end, and Montgomery is a gifted pass-rusher with good size and athleticism, and is also a solid player against the run.

78. St. Louis Rams: Kyle Long, OL, Oregon

If the Rams have room for another Long on the roster, Chris’s younger brother Kyle would be a great choice in the third round. The younger Long is very athletic for an offensive lineman, and has the versatility to provide depth and provide competition at both offensive tackle and guard.

Continue to Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Tags: 2013 NFL Draft, Johnthan Banks, Luke Joeckel, Mock Drafts

27 Responses to “2013 NFL Draft: New Projections after Free Agency’s First Waves”

1. Mark says:

I think Miami would grab Milliner instead of Lane Johnson. If they thought Milliner would be there at 12 why trade?

2. J H TARBORO says:

According to the NFL network the (49er, Bengals, Patriots, and Miami) are briging in Tavon Austin for a workout, why should we do that, if we can’t or have no chance to get him? He’s a personal favorite.

• acm says:

just doing their due diligence – obviously he is a player they are interested in and should he somehow fall to the Pats, they want to know if he indeed would be worth a 1st round pick.

I can see the Pats move up to maybe 26 (Packers) if they really, really like Austin and he miraculously falls there … and that way they would also prevent Denver and Houston from taking him. For that to happen, however, you’d need at least 5-6 teams that would be interested in Austin to pass on him. To make matters worse, two such team – the Rams and the Vikings have 2 picks in the 1st, well before 29 or even 26.

I just hope the 49ers don’t decide to trade up for him as they have a whole lot of picks they can’t use anyway. Wouldn’t be shocked if they used 3-4 and even 5 of those picks to move up 10-12 spots should Austin made it past Miami and St Louis (their 1st pick in the 1st round).

• J H TARBORO says:

ACM You of all people know how i feel about this one, i would be sick if the 49ers got him! when he we get him here for a workout, we shouldn’t let him leave. lol

• J H TARBORO says:

thanks for the glimmer hope, acm i appreciate you. thanks !

• acm says:

lol, you are welcome, JHT :)

I know you like Austin a lot and I share those sentiments but would be best for your overall health to just forget about him.

My biggest hope regarding this guy is that he goes to an average team as that way at least he won’t be strengthening a contender and a direct Patriots rival.

The Rams or Minny still look like the most likely destinations for this guy and I am fine with that.

How ’bout that glimmer of hope now? :)

3. This would be a very good draft for the Patriots though I do think it is a little optomistic to thing Rhodes, Trufant, and Banks will be all an option at 29. Still I can find little to complain about the selections otherwise as it covers all three of the most critical needs with good prospects.

Russell Easterbrooks lists several very good players who could be options if BB trades back as Russell and others believe he will. I would add Alex Okafor to that list if I were Russell.

There is still a chance that Mallett could be the subject of some trade talks the closer we get to draft day. I would not expect any deal to be made there until the draft is underway how ever. If that should come about I’d expect no more then a couple mid round choices this year but given the depth of talent it could mean another couple of talented prospects.

• cc says:

A dull murmur coming from Cleveland, bit nothing solid….as long as we get “better” than the equivalent 3rd rounder + “anything” more than that was spent on em’…I send Mallet anywhere!
      & I’d squeeze anything else I could in the deal, such as J. Cunningham, B. Deaderick or another.

Just getting this 3rd rounder back for Mallet is just the extra draft ammo that we need in order to add some 3rd round listed like maybe a Da’Rick Rogers WR. Kwame Geathers DT/NT. Travis Frederick C/G or a Justin Pugh G/ROT.

Which means either one of the first slated 3 picks will be just that much better!

Trade Mallet+….check!

Then use a next year pick and toss the two this year seventh rounders in too make it that much better for “MORE SERIOUS IMPACT PLAYERS NOW”…..check!

*****that gives the Patriots “5″ 2013 Draft Picks!

• I like your positive attitude about some kind of trade for Mallett, cc. I’m now more open to a trade for something like a 3rd and a 5th then I was a few weeks ago. The more research I do the deeper the draft talent pool looks. BB says he would want a 1st or 2nd but I’d be surprised if that happened. Most likely though I think Bill will keep him around for at least this year. Just my gut feeling.

• J H TARBORO says:

Steve E. Mallett trade might still be on the table, Tampa made a run at Cassell and they aren’t sure about Josh Freeman, that wasn’t their guy, and BB and Greg Schiano are friends.

• J H TARBORO says:

The Patriots should be shopping Mallett hard right now!

• From what I’ve heard Bill is “listening” to any offers but want’s at least a 2nd rd pick for Mallett. Not sure that’s very realistic. Looks like Clev is off the short list now so it may be as you say that TBay might be the last chance. QB’s are being shuffled all around right now so the dust is hard to see through. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Mallett still with us this year but who knows?

4. kdog says:

Interesting Mock.

I feel more and more that LBs who can run, like Minter and Arthur Brown, will shoot up the board. So I agree with you there.

Personally I don’t think Banks is a good value at 29, though. Short at 59? Yes. But Banks belongs in a group o 2nd-3rd round CBs.

5. Thrilloreilly says:

Not a fan of this draft, Patriots are lacking at DT/WR/CB

WR corps is lacking big time and they should trade back for more picks

Id ideally like to see them draft a WR early second and third and also double dip at CB in 2nd and 4th. Utilize a 3rd on DT position.

• cc says:

I’ll take this draft & be good. You say your not a fan…yet you state the biggest 3 needs and they are all met within the third round ( using 3rd with the Steelers or in Draft).
      Round 1 pick.
      (top tier pick at Corner; a massive need, “now” & “1st thing next year”).
      Round 2 pick.
      A decent piece VS re-treads/UFA/and later slim pickings to go next to Big Vince- A Glaring need.

Round 3.
      & AWide Out either way, using less than what was used on…..Taylor Price
      Bethall Johnson
      Brandon Tate
      OR the Chad Jackson 2006 debacle instead of Gregg Jennings.

* As far as the thinking of still being low on another Wide Out? Just use a next year pick ( Either 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounder), & use it for the best Wide Out for TB12 “Anywhere” in between our #91 and UP.

• cc says:

You say your not a fan of the mock – bu it address ALL 3 of your stated lacking needs. DT. CB. & WR!

+ you specify WR is lacking big time(as in more than the otherpositions), yet double dip on CB’s not at the Wide Out?

Id do this draft as is and be good with it:
      *But id specifically insert a next year pick/use it this year & specifically target
      & add Robert Woods (WR) – USC!

Top Teir wide receiver talant. + I make sure hes not playing for an AFC Division Rival like Buffalo knowing Matt Barkley is a round earlier target for them as well. No need to give any synergy to Buffalo.

6. patsfan says:

Would be happy with Banks and Short in the first 2 rounds but would much rather Da’Rick Rogers than Bailey. I think the Pats need to get bigger at WR and drafting another 5 10 guy just doesnt cut it.

This is kind of off topic but anyone have any thoughts around Jake Bequette and what he will do this year? He put up really good #s in college and I am hoping for a 2nd year jump in his play time/development.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I like Bequette more as a DE/LB than just DE. I know he has worked hard in the weight room. I see him getting more time this year.

• Been thinking about this. They say bigest jump is between 1st and 2nd year so there is some hope but we saw so little of Bequette last season how do we judge where he may be this season?

7. Russell Easterbrooks says:

Interesting Mock draft ! Of course it is easy to look at players who were not taken by the Patriots, and then make your picks. I feel BB will target players he would like to draft, who the Patriots have a good chance to get.
    My draft board for the Patriots, has guys I think fit with the Patriots/BB type players/system. These are the 16 players I have narrow my draft board down to, knowing the Patriots only have 5 picks.

OG/C Barrett Jones CB Jordan Poyer WR Markus Wheaton
    OG/T Brian Winters CB Logan Ryan WR Terrance Williams
    DT Jesse Williams CB Micah Hyde WR Mark Harrison
    DT Brandon Williams CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson

DE/LB Cornelius Washington RB Derrick Washington
    DE/LB John Simon LB DaVonte Holloman
    DE Cornellius Carradine

Now these player’s except of a couple of guys , will be in the first three rounds. Barrett Jones, and Cornellius Carradine would most likely be on the PUP list for half the coming season, which may offer roster flexiblity, for the Patriots. Cornellius Washington, played out of position (DE) at Georgia, and will be a developing player at LB over the coming season. I feel the same about John Simon, as a developing player at LB. DaVonte Holloman has better size, for a cover LB at 6’2″ 246, and played S and LB at South Carolina, giving him good cover skills.
    Jesse Williams will most likely be gone when the Patriots pick.
    If BB trades back, many of these players will be available, and of course many more on the draft board. I feel three of these guys will be on the Patriot team next year.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I have watched tape on each of these players, studied interviews, and watched two in person. There are many other great players, but you just can’t have them all. Last year I had 3 Patriot player’s ,draft picks correct. The year before just two, so its very hard to narrow the players down to THE picks. BB is very interesting when it comes to, study some of the things he looks for in players, intangables/flexibility are important.

• kdog says:

I like your list, Russell. I’ve become convinced they will look for a 3-4 OLB who can run a bit. Washington and Simon are intriguing middle-round targets.

I also love Jesse Williams, but think he’ll be gone. If he dropped I’d be all over him, though. They could do so much with him and Vince on the field together, and long term he would replace Vince.

• acm says:

that’s a pretty good board with all logical/likely options … not surprisingly I think so considering many of these players are on my board too :)

Probably the main diff is that I fully expect the Pats to make some trades, with trading out of the first round being the most obvious one, and as a result I have more players left on the board for the 7-8 picks I think BB lines up this April.

Actually, the only player up there I think that has to be taken at 29 is Jesse Williams (if he falls there at all that is). other than that, all the rest are likely to fall into the 2nd, imo.

Only player you have up there I can’t see as a likely BB pick would be Terrance Williams. He has the deep threat speed, not blazing fast but good enough, and tracks and catches the ball well but is too one-dimensional in his route-running (not unlike Mike Wallace) and that makes him an unlikely fit in the Pats O, imo.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

OK, I feel Jesse Williams will be gone by #29, but some have him in the 2nd round (unlikely). I believe DT Brandon Williams is the guy they want, and maybe Barrett Jones. Trading the #29th pick looks likely to me, But?? I also think Micah Hyde, is a tackling machine, and high on BB want list, along with Williams.
        I’m feeling less and less likely that we draft a WR until the 3d or later.
        Tampa is my projected trade partner for the #29th pick, given thier want list. They may have interest in Mallett as well.
        When I set my Patriot draft picks (5) I will asume there will be more picks, and list guys for all of my 5 picks from rounds 2-4.

• I like your general assessement here and agree Jesse Williams will be gone by 29. I’ve come around to the idea BB may trade out of the 1st. I would like either Brandon Williams or Alex Okafor in the second ( both if it lined up just right).
          Question, where do you see the kid from Mar’ld, Vellano, going and would Bill be looking at him somewhere?

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Not sure about DT Vallano , just not enough picks. I feel DT Brandon Williams, is a targeted player by BB. I like Vallano, more as a DE than DT in the NFL.

• Agree completely with your assessement of Vellano at DE in pro’s. Watching him on tape reminds me of Tedy Bruschi. The guy is always around the action making plays. I know, just not enough picks for us this year, but if Bill trade down as you think that could gain us 1 or 2 more and in the now more unlikely prospect of a Mallett deal another 1 or 2 Bill might have something to work with. This would be a best case scenario of course so I’ll not hold my breath.