2013 NFL Draft: New Projections after Free Agency’s First Waves

49. New York Giants: Khaseem Greene, OLB, Rutgers

The New York Giants need to add playmakers to their linebacker corps. Rutgers’ Khaseem Greene is an athletic linebacker who is a consistently playmaker as a tackler in space, a skilled coverage linebacker and a hard hitter. Greene could be an upgrade at either outside linebacker spot, and address one of the team’s greatest areas of need.

50. Chicago Bears: Menelik Watson, OT, Florida State

The Chicago Bears started rebuilding their offensive line at left tackle by signing free-agent Jermon Bushrod, but that process should continue in the 2013 NFL draft. The Chicago Bears could very well look for a bookend at right tackle with Florida State’s Menelik Watson, a raw talent but with high upside as a potential right tackle, and is projected as a first-round pick by some.

51. Washington Redskins: Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor

The Washington Redskins offense improved in a big way last season with the addition of rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III, but as RG3 not only continues to develop but also fights back from a torn ACL, adding more weapons to the passing game remains a good idea, especially if RG3’s former Baylor teammate, Terrance Williams, is still on the board in Round 2.

Reuniting Griffin and Williams could give the young quarterback an immediate go-to downfield target. Williams is a talented downfield playmaker who can help the Redskins stretch the field, and add a more explosive dynamic to the offense in Washington.

52. Minnesota Vikings: Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon State

Releasing Antoine Winfield opened up a need for the Minnesota Vikings to draft another cornerback. Oregon State’s Jordan Poyer is a second-round talent with the coverage instincts, ball skills and physical play to be a solid starting cornerback in the NFL, and is ready to step in immediately as a No. 2 or nickel cornerback.

53. Cincinnati Bengals: Giovani Bernard, RB, North Carolina

The Cincinnati Bengals should be looking for a playmaker at the running back position who can complement BenJarvus Green-Ellis with athleticism, quickness and receiving ability. Giovani Bernard is a dynamic player out of the backfield who is good value late in Round 2, and could be a terrific fit for that role.

54. Miami Dolphins (from Indianapolis Colts): Darius Slay, CB, Mississippi State

The Miami Dolphins are in desperate need of starting cornerbacks following the departure of free-agent Sean Smith. Mississippi State’s Darius Slay is a fantastic athlete with high upside, and while he may not be an immediate fix at the position as a No. 1 or 2 cornerback, he has good ball skills, is a fluid athlete and has the potential to develop into a great player at his position.

55. Green Bay Packers: Barrett Jones, OL, Alabama

The Green Bay Packers need to reinforce their offensive line in this year’s draft, and are especially in need of a center following Jeff Saturday’s retirement.

Alabama’s Barrett Jones is a polished, versatile offensive lineman who could step in at center as a rookie, but also has the ability to kick out to guard or offensive tackle if needed. He is likely to still be available at this point because he is coming off of an injury that could cost him the start of his rookie season, but he will be a very solid addition to an NFL offensive line when he is healthy, and would be a great fit in Green Bay.

56. Seattle Seahawks: Jamie Collins, OLB/DE, Southern Miss

Southern Miss’ Jamie Collins is an under-the-radar, versatile playmaker who could be a very good fit for the Seahawks’ defense. A talented linebacker with great size and athleticism, Collins could replace Leroy Hill in the lineup at linebacker but also could project to playing the LEO spot in pass-rushing situations.

57. Houston Texans: Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee

The Houston Texans need to find a legitimate No. 2 wide receiver to be a playmaker opposite Andre Johnson. Tennessee’s Justin Hunter has had issues with inconsistency, but can make tremendous plays on the ball, has great size and athleticism and will force defenses to pay attention to him and help draw multiple coverages away from Johnson.

58. Denver Broncos: Alex Okafor, DE, Texas

After losing Elvis Dumervil in a fax machine contract fiasco, the Denver Broncos are in need of another pass-rushing defensive end to replace him. Texas’ Alex Okafor is a skilled pass-rusher who is a great value selection late in Round 2 and can fill the void left by Dumervil’s departure.

59. New England Patriots: Kawann Short, DT, Purdue

The Patriots need to add a defensive tackle to the roster who can line up next to nose tackle Vince Wilfork and be a legitimate pass-rushing threat. If the Patriots can get that player late in Round 2 with Purdue’s Kawann Short, they should jump at the opportunity to select him.

Short can be a big upgrade at under tackle on all three downs as both an interior pass-rusher and as a run stopper, bringing more quickness and penetrating ability than any of the defensive tackles currently on the roster. He would be terrific value late in Round 2 and another addition to improve the Patriots’ defense.

60. Atlanta Falcons: John Jenkins, NT, Georgia

The Atlanta Falcons should be in the market for a big defensive tackle who can be a run filler next to Jonathan Babineaux in the four-man front, and also give the Falcons a true nose tackle for their hybrid defense. They could get that from Georgia’s John Jenkins, a massive yet quick run-stuffing nose tackle who could be a steal late in Round 2 if he can overcome motor concerns.

61. San Francisco 49ers: Margus Hunt, DE, SMU

Defensive end is not a position of need following the free-agent signing of Glenn Dorsey, but with 14 draft picks, the 49ers can afford to draft on value over need. That is exactly what they would get from SMU’s Margus Hunt, a freakish athlete with huge upside that could be a steal late in Round 2.

Hunt was very inconsistent at SMU and has poor technique, but he has huge potential as an inside-outside pass-rushing 5-technique defensive end. The 49ers could be a perfect fit for Hunt, as he could be used situationally as a rookie but groomed into a long-term replacement for Justin Smith, who is entering the final year of his contract.

62. Baltimore Ravens: Kiko Alonso, ILB, Oregon

Following Ray Lewis’ retirement and Dannell Ellerbe’s free-agent departure, the Baltimore Ravens have a massive need for a playmaker at the inside linebacker position. Oregon’s Kiko Alonso is an athletic linebacker who can make plays all over the field and in coverage, and may just be scratching the surface of his potential after overcoming off-field issues earlier in his career.

Continue to Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Tags: 2013 NFL Draft, Johnthan Banks, Luke Joeckel, Mock Drafts

27 Responses to “2013 NFL Draft: New Projections after Free Agency’s First Waves”

1. Mark says:

I think Miami would grab Milliner instead of Lane Johnson. If they thought Milliner would be there at 12 why trade?

2. J H TARBORO says:

According to the NFL network the (49er, Bengals, Patriots, and Miami) are briging in Tavon Austin for a workout, why should we do that, if we can’t or have no chance to get him? He’s a personal favorite.

• acm says:

just doing their due diligence – obviously he is a player they are interested in and should he somehow fall to the Pats, they want to know if he indeed would be worth a 1st round pick.

I can see the Pats move up to maybe 26 (Packers) if they really, really like Austin and he miraculously falls there … and that way they would also prevent Denver and Houston from taking him. For that to happen, however, you’d need at least 5-6 teams that would be interested in Austin to pass on him. To make matters worse, two such team – the Rams and the Vikings have 2 picks in the 1st, well before 29 or even 26.

I just hope the 49ers don’t decide to trade up for him as they have a whole lot of picks they can’t use anyway. Wouldn’t be shocked if they used 3-4 and even 5 of those picks to move up 10-12 spots should Austin made it past Miami and St Louis (their 1st pick in the 1st round).

• J H TARBORO says:

ACM You of all people know how i feel about this one, i would be sick if the 49ers got him! when he we get him here for a workout, we shouldn’t let him leave. lol

• J H TARBORO says:

thanks for the glimmer hope, acm i appreciate you. thanks !

• acm says:

lol, you are welcome, JHT :)

I know you like Austin a lot and I share those sentiments but would be best for your overall health to just forget about him.

My biggest hope regarding this guy is that he goes to an average team as that way at least he won’t be strengthening a contender and a direct Patriots rival.

The Rams or Minny still look like the most likely destinations for this guy and I am fine with that.

How ’bout that glimmer of hope now? :)

3. steve earle says:

This would be a very good draft for the Patriots though I do think it is a little optomistic to thing Rhodes, Trufant, and Banks will be all an option at 29. Still I can find little to complain about the selections otherwise as it covers all three of the most critical needs with good prospects.

Russell Easterbrooks lists several very good players who could be options if BB trades back as Russell and others believe he will. I would add Alex Okafor to that list if I were Russell.

There is still a chance that Mallett could be the subject of some trade talks the closer we get to draft day. I would not expect any deal to be made there until the draft is underway how ever. If that should come about I’d expect no more then a couple mid round choices this year but given the depth of talent it could mean another couple of talented prospects.

• cc says:

A dull murmur coming from Cleveland, bit nothing solid….as long as we get “better” than the equivalent 3rd rounder + “anything” more than that was spent on em’…I send Mallet anywhere!
      & I’d squeeze anything else I could in the deal, such as J. Cunningham, B. Deaderick or another.

Just getting this 3rd rounder back for Mallet is just the extra draft ammo that we need in order to add some 3rd round listed like maybe a Da’Rick Rogers WR. Kwame Geathers DT/NT. Travis Frederick C/G or a Justin Pugh G/ROT.

Which means either one of the first slated 3 picks will be just that much better!

Trade Mallet+….check!

Then use a next year pick and toss the two this year seventh rounders in too make it that much better for “MORE SERIOUS IMPACT PLAYERS NOW”…..check!

*****that gives the Patriots “5″ 2013 Draft Picks!

I like your positive attitude about some kind of trade for Mallett, cc. I’m now more open to a trade for something like a 3rd and a 5th then I was a few weeks ago. The more research I do the deeper the draft talent pool looks. BB says he would want a 1st or 2nd but I’d be surprised if that happened. Most likely though I think Bill will keep him around for at least this year. Just my gut feeling.

• J H TARBORO says:

Steve E. Mallett trade might still be on the table, Tampa made a run at Cassell and they aren’t sure about Josh Freeman, that wasn’t their guy, and BB and Greg Schiano are friends.

• J H TARBORO says:

The Patriots should be shopping Mallett hard right now!

From what I’ve heard Bill is “listening” to any offers but want’s at least a 2nd rd pick for Mallett. Not sure that’s very realistic. Looks like Clev is off the short list now so it may be as you say that TBay might be the last chance. QB’s are being shuffled all around right now so the dust is hard to see through. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Mallett still with us this year but who knows?

4. kdog says:

Interesting Mock.

I feel more and more that LBs who can run, like Minter and Arthur Brown, will shoot up the board. So I agree with you there.

Personally I don’t think Banks is a good value at 29, though. Short at 59? Yes. But Banks belongs in a group o 2nd-3rd round CBs.

5. Thrilloreilly says:

Not a fan of this draft, Patriots are lacking at DT/WR/CB

WR corps is lacking big time and they should trade back for more picks

Id ideally like to see them draft a WR early second and third and also double dip at CB in 2nd and 4th. Utilize a 3rd on DT position.

• cc says:

I’ll take this draft & be good. You say your not a fan…yet you state the biggest 3 needs and they are all met within the third round ( using 3rd with the Steelers or in Draft).
      Round 1 pick.
      (top tier pick at Corner; a massive need, “now” & “1st thing next year”).
      Round 2 pick.
      A decent piece VS re-treads/UFA/and later slim pickings to go next to Big Vince- A Glaring need.

Round 3.
      & AWide Out either way, using less than what was used on…..Taylor Price
      Bethall Johnson
      Brandon Tate
      OR the Chad Jackson 2006 debacle instead of Gregg Jennings.

* As far as the thinking of still being low on another Wide Out? Just use a next year pick ( Either 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounder), & use it for the best Wide Out for TB12 “Anywhere” in between our #91 and UP.

• cc says:

You say your not a fan of the mock – bu it address ALL 3 of your stated lacking needs. DT. CB. & WR!

+ you specify WR is lacking big time(as in more than the otherpositions), yet double dip on CB’s not at the Wide Out?

Id do this draft as is and be good with it:
      *But id specifically insert a next year pick/use it this year & specifically target
      & add Robert Woods (WR) – USC!

Top Teir wide receiver talant. + I make sure hes not playing for an AFC Division Rival like Buffalo knowing Matt Barkley is a round earlier target for them as well. No need to give any synergy to Buffalo.

6. patsfan says:

Would be happy with Banks and Short in the first 2 rounds but would much rather Da’Rick Rogers than Bailey. I think the Pats need to get bigger at WR and drafting another 5 10 guy just doesnt cut it.

This is kind of off topic but anyone have any thoughts around Jake Bequette and what he will do this year? He put up really good #s in college and I am hoping for a 2nd year jump in his play time/development.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I like Bequette more as a DE/LB than just DE. I know he has worked hard in the weight room. I see him getting more time this year.

Been thinking about this. They say bigest jump is between 1st and 2nd year so there is some hope but we saw so little of Bequette last season how do we judge where he may be this season?

7. Russell Easterbrooks says:

Interesting Mock draft ! Of course it is easy to look at players who were not taken by the Patriots, and then make your picks. I feel BB will target players he would like to draft, who the Patriots have a good chance to get.
    My draft board for the Patriots, has guys I think fit with the Patriots/BB type players/system. These are the 16 players I have narrow my draft board down to, knowing the Patriots only have 5 picks.

OG/C Barrett Jones CB Jordan Poyer WR Markus Wheaton
    OG/T Brian Winters CB Logan Ryan WR Terrance Williams
    DT Jesse Williams CB Micah Hyde WR Mark Harrison
    DT Brandon Williams CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson

DE/LB Cornelius Washington RB Derrick Washington
    DE/LB John Simon LB DaVonte Holloman
    DE Cornellius Carradine

Now these player’s except of a couple of guys , will be in the first three rounds. Barrett Jones, and Cornellius Carradine would most likely be on the PUP list for half the coming season, which may offer roster flexiblity, for the Patriots. Cornellius Washington, played out of position (DE) at Georgia, and will be a developing player at LB over the coming season. I feel the same about John Simon, as a developing player at LB. DaVonte Holloman has better size, for a cover LB at 6’2″ 246, and played S and LB at South Carolina, giving him good cover skills.
    Jesse Williams will most likely be gone when the Patriots pick.
    If BB trades back, many of these players will be available, and of course many more on the draft board. I feel three of these guys will be on the Patriot team next year.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I have watched tape on each of these players, studied interviews, and watched two in person. There are many other great players, but you just can’t have them all. Last year I had 3 Patriot player’s ,draft picks correct. The year before just two, so its very hard to narrow the players down to THE picks. BB is very interesting when it comes to, study some of the things he looks for in players, intangables/flexibility are important.

• kdog says:

I like your list, Russell. I’ve become convinced they will look for a 3-4 OLB who can run a bit. Washington and Simon are intriguing middle-round targets.

I also love Jesse Williams, but think he’ll be gone. If he dropped I’d be all over him, though. They could do so much with him and Vince on the field together, and long term he would replace Vince.

• acm says:

that’s a pretty good board with all logical/likely options … not surprisingly I think so considering many of these players are on my board too :)

Probably the main diff is that I fully expect the Pats to make some trades, with trading out of the first round being the most obvious one, and as a result I have more players left on the board for the 7-8 picks I think BB lines up this April.

Actually, the only player up there I think that has to be taken at 29 is Jesse Williams (if he falls there at all that is). other than that, all the rest are likely to fall into the 2nd, imo.

Only player you have up there I can’t see as a likely BB pick would be Terrance Williams. He has the deep threat speed, not blazing fast but good enough, and tracks and catches the ball well but is too one-dimensional in his route-running (not unlike Mike Wallace) and that makes him an unlikely fit in the Pats O, imo.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

OK, I feel Jesse Williams will be gone by #29, but some have him in the 2nd round (unlikely). I believe DT Brandon Williams is the guy they want, and maybe Barrett Jones. Trading the #29th pick looks likely to me, But?? I also think Micah Hyde, is a tackling machine, and high on BB want list, along with Williams.
        I’m feeling less and less likely that we draft a WR until the 3d or later.
        Tampa is my projected trade partner for the #29th pick, given thier want list. They may have interest in Mallett as well.
        When I set my Patriot draft picks (5) I will asume there will be more picks, and list guys for all of my 5 picks from rounds 2-4.

I like your general assessement here and agree Jesse Williams will be gone by 29. I’ve come around to the idea BB may trade out of the 1st. I would like either Brandon Williams or Alex Okafor in the second ( both if it lined up just right).
          Question, where do you see the kid from Mar’ld, Vellano, going and would Bill be looking at him somewhere?

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

Not sure about DT Vallano , just not enough picks. I feel DT Brandon Williams, is a targeted player by BB. I like Vallano, more as a DE than DT in the NFL.

Agree completely with your assessement of Vellano at DE in pro’s. Watching him on tape reminds me of Tedy Bruschi. The guy is always around the action making plays. I know, just not enough picks for us this year, but if Bill trade down as you think that could gain us 1 or 2 more and in the now more unlikely prospect of a Mallett deal another 1 or 2 Bill might have something to work with. This would be a best case scenario of course so I’ll not hold my breath.