Three-Round Post-Combine Projection

17. Pittsburgh Steelers – CB Xavier Rhodes, Florida St.*

Rhodes, one of the stars of this year’s Combine, could help replace expensive free agent Keenan Lewis as an outside cornerback.

18. Dallas Cowboys – OG Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina

Doug Free could shift inside to guard; another option is to draft a cost-effective alternative such as Jonathan Cooper in the draft.

19. New York Giants – DE Datone Jones, UCLA

Someone like Datone Jones would fit New York’s scheme; he could play left end and slide inside on passing downs a la Justin Tuck.

20. Chicago Bears – LB Alec Ogletree, Georgia*

Ogletree’s character concerns could be overlooked by Chicago, where his athleticism would provide a quality replacement for Brian Urlacher.

21. Cincinnati Bengals – RB Eddie Lacy, Alabama*

An incredibly powerful running back, Lacy would offer Cincinnati a workhorse to complement their improving passing attack.

22. St. Louis Rams (from Redskins) – FS Kenny Vaccaro, Texas

Vaccaro is just the kind of player Jeff Fisher likes: big, aggressive, and physical; Craig Dahl should be replaced in the secondary.

23. Minnesota Vikings – WR Tavon Austin, West Virginia

Tavon Austin’s very similar to mercurial Vikings receiver Percy Harvin; the Vikings may be better off moving on from Harvin for a cheaper option.

24. Indianapolis Colts – DT Jesse Williams, Alabama

A reliable two-gapping option with the versatility to play either defensive tackle, nose tackle, or five-technique, Jesse Williams would fit well.

25. Seattle Seahawks – OT D.J. Fluker, Alabama*

Replacing Breno Giacomini with a road-grader like D.J. Fluker could stabilize Seattle’s offensive line, which has been shuffled often recently.

26. Green Bay Packers – DT Kawann Short, Purdue

Short weighed in at 299 pounds during the Combine this week; his reduced weight may alleviate concerns about his conditioning and stamina.

27. Houston Texans – WR Robert Woods, Southern California*

Houston has been searching for a quality receiver to help shoulder some of Andre Johnson’s offensive burden; Woods is a solid value.

28. Denver Broncos – CB Desmond Trufant, Washington

The Tracy Porter signing didn’t quite work out, and Champ Bailey may be nearing the end of his career; Trufant tested well in Indianapolis.

29. New England Patriots – DE Cornellius Carradine, Florida St.*

Carradine’s stock is difficult to project because of his ACL injury; however, his tools could convince New England he’s the next Chandler Jones.

30. Atlanta Falcons – TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame*

Tony Gonzalez should return for another NFL season; nonetheless, it’s imperative for Atlanta to consider their future without him.

31. San Francisco 49ers – CB Logan Ryan, Rutgers*

Ryan is a big, physical cornerback with outstanding tackling skills; he recalls former Washington Redskins cornerback Shawn Springs.

32. Baltimore Ravens – LB Manti Te’o, Notre Dame

Ray Lewis must be replaced at linebacker; Te’o is talented enough to fill in as long as he can win the respect of an NFL locker room.

Continue to Page: 1 2 3 4

Tags: 2013 NFL Draft, 2013 NFL Mock Draft

34 Responses to “Three-Round Post-Combine Projection”

1. Frank 210 says:

We need to trade our first rounder for more picks this draft is way to deep to only have 3 picks In the top 100 of the draft and bb needs to trade mallet and stop the bs

2. bmp1113 says:

1st- patton/hopkins/ star definitely if he slides very far
    2nd swearinger/cyprien/elam
    3rd Stedman Bailey

3. Russell Easterbrooks says:

My bet right now is BB trading our #29, to Tampa for thier 2nd,#43, 4th,#109, and Patriots old 4th,#123. This is fair value for our 1st pick, and allows Tampa to move up, 14 picks in the draft. Tampa wants a DT and a CB, to start on thier D, so this allows them to get just that.
    Because BB likes the mid-part of the draft, the best, this sounds like BB.

#43- DT Brandon Williams
    #59- CB Robert Alford
    #91- LB DaVonte Holloman
    #109- WR Mark Harrison
    #123- SS Cooper Taylor
    7th- OG/C T.J.Johnson
    7th- Keith McGill

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

If we stay with the picks we have;
      #29- OG/C Barrett Jones
      #59- DT Brandon Williams
      #91-WR Aaron Dobson
      7th- CB Keith McGill
      7th- CB Demetrius McCray

Russell, do you see Mark Harrison and Cooper Tayler as differance makers or roll players? Can’t say I know much about them.

• Russell Easterbrooks says:

I think Harrison and Cooper are Differance makers , and are undervalued in this draft. I would like to get WR Wheaton or WR Hopkins, But just don’t see how with out a trade of some kind. I feel Brandon Williams is a target player by BB.
        No-way we pass on Barrett Jones if he’s on the board, WHERE ever our 1st pick is !!!

What I see and read about Brandon Williams is all good. I hope Bill does target him. love Barret Jones but think he’s a luxurie as of now. Where Wheaton ran just over the 4.4 and 10 ran under chances ar fair to good he may be there at 59. Good to very good if we get a mid 2nd. Love to get him and fills a need too. I’m still holding out hope Rhodes will be around at 29. Twice he ran 4.41′s. probably raises his stock.

I would be surprised if Bill is making such a trade at this time. He may be exploring possabilitys but I wouldn’t expect him to pull any triggers for #29 until draft day. Being as smart as he usually is he would want to keep his options open just as long as he can. Never can tell if a top ten prospect guy might slide down to us however unlikely.

4. Joe Blake says:

Post combine, Pre FA: draft:#29 CB (Rhodes,Trufant,Taylor,Ryan ). A cover corner with some size. #59 DT (Short, Williams (best of the remaining 3), Hankins, Jenkins, Hunt); someone to push the pocket thus helping secondary and Vince. #91 WR (Swope, Stills, Dobson, Wheaton, Taylor) someone to stretch the field, a sub 4.5 guy with agility. 7th rounders: another CB: Honey Badger or Ray Ray A. Someone with talent who slipped. With second 7th an OL for Dante to coach up. Having said this: BB will probably draft a TE, OT and SS!

Don’t be a pessimist Joe your on the right track. Rhodes/Trufant/ db @29 Wheaton/Dobson/ wr @59 then Hunt/ Carradine/ B.Williams/dl @91. A couple low risk, high reward types with the 7s. Top 3 rounds look like the money rounds to me. Mix and match as you like but get players who can make plays is key.

• Joe Blake says:

Couldn’t agree more. Things would change post FA and (hopefully for both parties) a Mallett trade. BB is unpredictable though.

5. steve earle says:

In the past 48 hours or so, things have changed markedly. Cap space has nearly doubled and events at the combine have shaken things up as usual. I haven’t reset my board as yet but I believe my previous selections are not far off still. I’m not really excited about some trade down to get extra mid and low round picks. My short list for 29 still include Rhodes and Trufant at it’s top. Plus I’d like a DT in the top 3 picks also. A fast wr for outside would be gravy. Let’s see how things start shaping up now.

6. Larry says:

No way the Pats are taking Def Linemen with their first two picks……….

7. Hunter says:

I would be very unhappy with this draft. There are a TON of players going day two in your draft that I would rather have than a DE with potential coming off an ACL injury. I personally would like to see either Banks, Rhodes, Trufant or Poyer in Rnd 1. I like the idea of Hunt in the 2nd/3rd round as well.

Side note, what do you guys think of TJ Moe? He ran a terrible 40 at the combine, but excelled in every other event. I just heard an interview with him on NFL radio, it’s hard not to like the guy. He seems like a perfect player to groom in the slot, and if he doesn’t improve his time I’d think the Pats could get him in the 7th. If BB does the wheeling and dealing we think he will, they could definitely get him in the 5th or 6th. Maybe he can be the player we hoped Ebert would be.

• AM says:

I believe that Moe was the (or a) top performer in the 3-cone drill, which I know the Patriots value as a quickness metric. It wouldn’t surprise me if they took a shot on him in the 7th or as a UDFA. But he still strikes me as a developmental type, given that Edelman is waiting in the wings, and a superior player when healthy.

• J H TARBORO says:

TJ MOE is a thumper, never mind his 40, a late rounder who could be tone setter!

8. Russell Easterbrooks says:

Great Mock Matthew, well thought out ! I’m still adjusting my picks, but based on this Mock;

#29- OG/C Barrett Jones
    #59- DT Brandon Williams
    #91- SS Cooper Taylor
    7th- CB Keith McGills
    7th-CB Demetrius McCray

Knowing, BB will most likely make some moves, to get differant picks, we can add a WR lateand or a cover LBer.

• AM says:

Given the depth of this WR class, I think it would be disappointing if we didn’t come away with at least one quality player, if not two, regardless of Welker’s status. Personally, I say load up at the position, like tight end in 2010 and running back in 2011. Based on this mock, I’d like to see this:

#29 – DeAndre Hopkins, WR
      #59 – Jordan Poyer, CB
      #91 – Aaron Dobson, WR

I don’t think there will be a ton of great trade opportunities given the value sweet spot in this draft (late first through the second), but if Arizona falls in love with one of the QB prospects, we might swing a second, fourth, and late rounder for our first. If so, I would stick with the picks above, and see if D.J. Swearinger manages to fall to the top of the fourth round.

• patsfan says:

This is my favorite so far. I have been thinking recently that now is the time to double dip on WRs. Get a slot guy and an outside guy and start grooming them. We also need more picks in the top 4 rounds. I would hate to miss out on the DT and OT depth in this draft just because we blew all our picks.

• AM says:

Agreed on more picks–it’s just bad luck that the draft with the best depth in years coincides with a) a shortage of picks, and b) a middling QB class that won’t inspire much wheeling and dealing.

The good news is that the depth means that even if only mid-round picks are acquired, there should be great players available, and some very good OL help in the late rounds. Also, it should be a quality free agent class, so plenty of spots can be addressed there.

• J H TARBORO says:

We should double dip on WRs, we need to trade the 1st pick for mutiple mid round picks. Based on trade value a 3,4,5 for picks and 2or3 for Mallett, Michael Lombardi Clevelands’ GM still likes Mallett, and based on the Brady deal it might already be done, it’s ironic that the news of the Brady deal came on 2nd day of the combine. With these number of picks we can pick up a little of everything or wheel and deal for what we want. The depth of draft is insane and with 5 picks, you feel like we’ve been screwed. BB put on your blackjack hat!!!

As much as I like Carradine I’m still looking for def back help. It has been our def that has been the problem in the playoffs and SB’s the past few years. Fans with short memories keep clamoring for wr’s but unless the other offense gets off the field wr’s are just spectators. Getting A second and 4th in a trade for #29 is of questionable value. Two 2nds is fine but getting an impact player with a 4th is far less likely so we still likely net only 2, possably three, guys that will help. As for 6th or 7th rds unless your willing to take chances on players with off field historys we’re usually just as well off looking at undrafted guys. It’s not the number of picks that matter at this stage for our Pats, it’s the quality.

9. Ricky says:

By Christopher Carradine, do you mean Tank Carradine?

10. AM says:

I’m beginning to wonder if the Patriots will opt for Margus Hunt–he’s quite raw, and a physical specimen, a la Chandler Jones. I can see them taking him with an eye towards developing him as a DE/DT swing player.

• I agree, they could shoot for Hunt in the later rounds, but the only way is in the 3rd round, which may be a reach. In the third they could get a speedy WR like Denard Robinson. What do you think?

• J H TARBORO says:

I really like Denard Robinson QB/WR/KR he is extremely versatile, we can a use guy like this aka SLASH. We could use his strengths in the right way to create some packages, misdirection plays etc. and remember he is a Michigan QB like our Brady.

Robinson must be considered a developmental prospect. Exactly how versatile he may be is impossable for anyone to say for sure. We do know he has great speed, decent size and was very productive. The rest is projection. We do not know if he will be a good receiver, return man, or rb. Be carefull your not falling for a workout wonder. Me, I just don’t know, and with so few picks can we afford to take the chance?

• J H TARBORO says:

Steve E. I could see your point but as you know in the past we’ve done with less talent and made it work. The Patriots must think about the future when we draft, and player development .

J H, I am thinking about the future because with only 5 picks currently, 2 in 7th, we can ill afford to make a mistake that would snowball into 2014. I give you Res I Downing for example. Injury history going back to high school. Drafting him high a couple years ago has helped create our problems now. Bill was forced to trade a 4th for Talib last season because of such mistakes. Now if such a mistake occures this year at wr can it be fixed going down the stretch and how might it effect our choices next draft. Robinson might turn out to be a hall of famer some day but he also could be another bust. At this point it’s a crap shoot.

• AM says:

Robinson just hasn’t shown the hands you would want from a WR, unless taking a flyer on him in the seventh. This class is insanely deep at wideout, so there are plenty of other, more polished options.

The versatility is a nice feature, but it isn’t quite the same thing as having (for example) a CB/S combo. Wildcat packages and the like are really only good options for teams who lack top-tier QBs; taking Brady off the field for a play hinders the offense, regardless of who takes his place.

If Demps ends up quitting football for track permanently, however, he might be worth going after as a KR alone.

As usual AM sees the picture quite clearly. A flyer on Robinson in late rounds is perfectly fine but being a productive running QB in collage has no bearing of playing any other position in the NFL, not even RB.

Hunt has a high upside and if he were our 1st pick I wouldn’t have a problem with that as long as we got some cb/s help after that.

• AM says:

He’s a really tough evaluation–you never want to get oversold on the workout warriors, but he has (literally) huge potential, and apparently a sterling work ethic. I’ve got a hunch he’ll be a steal for whoever gets him, but I have no idea where he will go; could be top-10, could be bottom of the top-100.