‘Super Bowl Open Thread: Patriots Chances in Super Bowl 48

Patriots Super Bowl 48

Three rings will have to be enough for this year.

NEPD Editor: James Christensen

The Patriots won’t be winning Super Bowl 47. Colin Kaepernick has the last chance to stop Ray Lewis from retiring a champion and I assume many New England fans will may swing towards the NFC side of the action while they aren’t dousing their disappointment in nacho cheese and assorted beverages.

Even though they aren’t in New Orleans again this week, according to most bookmakers, the Patriots are already the odds-on favorite to win next year’s Super Bowl 48.

What do you think of the Patriots’ chances in 2013?

Despite having a tenuous salary cap situation, the Patriots are in pretty good shape for another deep playoff run in 2013.

Tom Brady will be back. Stevan Ridley and Shane Vereen have emerged as the dual-threat that Belichick hoped they’d be. The young defense is starting to show signs of what they are capable of.

If they can navigate the free agency waters and come away with two of their three marquee free agents – Wes Welker, Sebastian Vollmer and Aqib Talib, while still picking up the $3 million option on Brandon Lloyd – they should be set up to put some of the finishing touches on the 2013 Patriots roster with their five 2013 draft picks.

They’ll need to add some contributors to the wide receiver corps and get contributions from returning starters who spent most of 2012 on injured reserve, like Dane Fletcher and Ras-I Dowling. The addition of former CFL players Armond Armstead and Jason Vega should also add some depth and competition on the defensive side of a ball.

Outside of New England, San Francisco might only be scratching the surface of what they can do offensively and Baltimore isn’t going anywhere, so New England certainly won’t be considered a unanimous favorite going into the 2013 NFL season.

Final Verdict: 7-1 odds

Your turn: Are the Patriots the favorites to win the Super Bowl next year? If not, who? What are the odds that the Patriots win their fourth ring?

Tags: Open Thread, Patriots Championship Rings, Super Bowl

11 Responses to “‘Super Bowl Open Thread: Patriots Chances in Super Bowl 48”

1. Lars says:

An injured Gronk is what cost us SB 46.

2. baba says:

Belichik out of ideas , Brady lost one – two steps in decision making and delivery, despite shown some brilliance with second grade teams . But we all know that NFL fixed show , anything possible .

3. Dan says:

I don’t see Ras I being on the team…I think he’ll be done and they’ll take the hit or whatever, but I highly doubt he’s in any plans.

• acm says:

I agree – his taking up a roster spot would probably hurt the team more than that small cap-hit they’d be dealt should they cut him.

4. Kyle says:

I would be SHOCKED if the Patiots got more than halfway through the season with Ras’I Dowling healthy and playing snaps in each game. He is much too unreliable to trust as a contributor for next season. He’ll end up on IR like usual if they keep him around.

5. Phil says:

I think Lloyd will remain a Patriot with such little WR depth on this team. As for our chances in Superbowl 48…it’s tough to say. The Patriots do in fact have a tough schedule next year. I have said it the past 2 years but I really feel that next year is different. The team is young and is still finding it’s way. I often look back to the 2011-2012 season that the Giants stole from us again. They went into Lambeau and took them out and then went into Candlestick and took out San Francisco, that is something the Patriots never would have done if faced with that challenge. I don’t know what it is that flares a team to be able to win those tough games, but once the Patriots can pull off victories like that than I would say it is a championship team. As of know I am saying the odds of us winning the Superbowl next year would be 8-1.

6. George Fitzgerald says:

Lloyd is not a free agent.

• Billy C. says:

No he’s not, but he’s got a 3 million option that needs to be picked up if the Patriots want him on the roster next year.

• acm says:

I hope they seriously consider replacing him with someone else – from draft or free agency. He isn’t a bad WR but he just doesn’t have character, he is a difference maker at the big stage.

• NEPD says:

Correct – he is due a $3 million bonus this off-season. Could be released, although I think they pay him.

• Dan says:

I agree…they have enough trouble at WR, and he was making plays towards the end. He wasn’t anything special, but he was making catches and moving the ball. It took some time to get that chemistry and trust and I don’t see them throwing that away at this point. Again, not with the little they have at the position.