Percy Harvin: Foxboro Bound?

Was this almost a Patriots uniform?

NEPD Staff Writer: Tony Santorsa

The combination of Tom Brady and Percy Harvin would be lethal—there’s no debating that. In fact, this tandem of quarterback and wide receiver would be something that you could only imagine happening in a video game. However, there is a possibility that Harvin could wind up in a New England Patriots uniform in 2013.

According to CBS Minnesota, the Minnesota Vikings will attempt to trade their star wide receiver this offseason.

Per CBS Minnesota:

Sources tell WCCO’s Mike Max that the No. 1 reason Percy Harvin left the team this season was not his injury, but it was motivated by a blowup he had with Vikings head coach Leslie Frazier…

…The Vikings will try to trade him, Max reports, as Harvin does have market value.

With Harvin reportedly having a “blowup” with head coach Leslie Frazier, it’s certainly hard to foresee Harvin spending next season in a Vikings uniform.

There are plenty of teams that would be interested in the services as Harvin—and the Patriots could definitely be one of them.

Whether New England is interested or not, we can’t deny the fact that Harvin would be a perfect fit with Brady in New England’s offensive attack.

As I posted yesterday, the future of Wes Welker and Brandon Lloyd is certainly shaky and that they’re not “locks” to return for the upcoming season could indicate that the Patriots might pursue the 24-year-old Vikings wide receiver.

This isn’t the first time that Bill Belichick and the Patriots will have a shot at landing the former Florida Gator.  Back in the 2009 NFL Draft, New England had the 23rd overall pick—as Harvin was selected by Minnesota at 22nd overall, the Patriots immediately traded out of No. 23 and dropped back to No. 26.

You might describe this as a coincidence but I tend to believe that Belichick was interested in Harvin.

New England potentially could have the wide receiver combination of Harvin, Welker, Lloyd and Julian Edelman as well as tight ends Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez in 2013—but that’s assuming that Welker and Edelman are both resigned. If you ask me, the only way the Patriots target Harvin is if they plan on parting ways with Welker.

Welker and Harvin are both primarily slot receivers, as Harvin played a total of 59.8 percent of his snaps in the slot this past season, I’d like to think that Harvin would be quite the replacement to the soon-to-be 32-year-old Welker.

Harvin appeared in just nine games this past season for Minnesota as he recorded 62 receptions on 85 targets while accumulating 677 yards and scoring four total touchdowns.

Harvin is what I’d like to think the perfect fit for New England’s offense. He reminds me much like Aaron Hernandez, as Harvin is incredibly versatile as he can not only line up as the Z but he can play along the numbers or even run the ball out of the backfield.

There’s no secret that Belchick loves versatility and coughing up a third round draft pick for Harvin and his one-year, $2.9 million contract would be quite the deal for New England.

Tags: Free Agency, Patriots Off-Season, Percy Harvin, Trade

11 Responses to “Percy Harvin: Foxboro Bound?”

1. JH TARBORO says:

Jerome Simpson is a secure and less expensive option! I still have a feeling a impact player will be a undrafted free agent on both sides of the ball for 2013 New England patriots. You heard here first!

2. charles says:

tag welker, resign lloyd then trade him and a 2014 second rounder and possibly a late round pick for harvin, resign edelman and woodhead and then we will have the best offense in the league (not that we dont already)

3. td says:

It’s a one year rental at his current number, then it’s either tag him around $9-10mil or say good-bye.

But, and it’s a huge but.

We have a guy now catching over 100 balls/year and the highest YAC in the NFL. Oh, and he also does not have behavioral issues or migranes.

• Nick says:

Harvin never drops though. I read that he only dropped something like 2 passes last year. Welker led the league in drops. Also, Welker is old as hell. Harvin is not.

• AM says:

Even older, Welker is substantially tougher and more reliable than Harvin. Besides which, with this depth at wideout in this draft class, I’d rather use the pick to develop some new talent.

• munchkin says:

Substantially tougher? Based on what? Harvin has played through migraines and was the focal point of the Viking’s offense when ADP was hurt. The dude has taken the ball over the middle, out of the backfield and any other place that Ponder could get it to him.
          Both players have been lit up all over the field. I don’t think the team would lose toughness with Harvin sans Welker.
          I can buy the character concerns though. BUt, if Brady ended up loving him as much as he does Welker there will be plenty of balls to go around.
          I don’t care if they rent him for two years and win a SB.
          Harvin is an impact player. He could be a big plus for a number of teams if the match is right. If he is going to bit@# and moan about getting the ball week in and week out I will pass.
          I don’t think Harvin carries the baggage that Marshall brought with him. The compensation should be a little bit higher. Minnesota needs playmakers though. They have few on their roster other than ADP and Rudolph. They can’t give him up for scraps. And they shouldn’t have to.
          Harvin, Lloyd, Gronk and Hernandez would be pretty formidable though.

• Jim R says:

Nick I agree, Welker catches @ 100-120 every year and unless something is broken he plays. That is a lot of leadership. That is a big part of this equation people do not acknowledge.
          Harvin is talented, I would like him on my team not at the cost of Welker.

• AM says:

To rephrase, I should say “durability” instead of “toughness,” although both apply. Harvin has missed 10 of 64 games in his career due to injuries, while Welker has missed, I believe, none. In addition, Welker takes many more shots than does Harvin working over the middle of the field, and I believe plays through pain more consistently than Harvin.

None of that is to criticize Harvin for the migraine issue–that’s a special kind of pain that makes pulled muscles and cracked ribs pale by comparison. I also understand that the migraines are cured and/or managed at this point.

Harvin is definitely an impact player; I’d like to have him, but I’m with Jim R–not at Welker’s expense. Besides which, the price seems too high: unless we really think he is going to solve all our receiving woes (a relative term, to be sure), I’d rather use the draft pick on a promising receiver at a much lower price than invest in an expensive one year rental (and I do think it is one year, not two).

• MaineMan says:

Welker also had the 4th most targets last season (about 11 targets/game). Megatron, Marshall and Andre Johnson also had a lot of targets and they also had a lot of drops (amazing how that works out: more targets, more drops). And those guys, being primarily edge/deep guys, aren’t getting leveled by safeties and LBs on every catch.

Also, Brandon Stokely at age 36, caught 45 of 58 targets (78%) for 544 yards and 5 TDs. He certainly wasn’t getting paid what Welker will likely command, but that’s still pretty good production out of an “old guy” especially considering that he was competing for the targets with a couple of very good young WRs (that the Pats don’t have).

4. Steve Grogan says:

A low #3 straight up for Harvin sounds crazy. Given the market there will be for him, I think it’ll wind up being more like a low #1 or high #2. If I’m SF I trade my #1 for him without question. Look at the receiver they spent their #1 on last year, and how much impact did he have?

• mjp says:

You have to factor in the likelihood that a big money extension must be addressed with Harvin at some point, if not he’s basically a 1 year rental, even if you tag him following that year it’s still just a 2 year rental with a big cap hit for that extra year, makes the compensation tricky, no guarantee that a 1st or even 2nd is the comp (Brandon Marshall was two 3rds and he is arguably one of the most productive WR’s in the league year in and year out, he also gets paid well).