Open Thread: 2013 NFL Scouting Combine – Day One

Gavin Escobar

Could the Patriots target another tight end in this draft?

NEPD Staff

The NFL Scouting Combine starts in earnest today for fans of the event, having the offensive linemen and tight ends going through their workouts and positional drills.

What are you looking for and what did you see?

A few things that we’ll be watching today:

Could the Patriots target one of the top tight ends in this draft and put three “queens” on the chessboard? Once you watch Tyler Eifert, Zach Ertz, Gavin Escobar and Jordan Reed today, you might think about it.

There are a lot of versatile linemen in this draft – both OC/OG and OG/OT. Pay special attention to Travis Frederick out of Wisconsin today. He could sneak into the late first round as a center / guard prospect.

Who are you watching today in Indianapolis at the 2013 NFL Scouting Combine?

Tags: 2013 NFL Combine, Travis Frederick

16 Responses to “Open Thread: 2013 NFL Scouting Combine – Day One”

1. USMarine75 says:

I have a feeling they are going to take Barrett Jones the G/C out of Alabama with their 1st.

I was hoping that Tavon Austin would fall to them, but with that 40 time someone will take him high now. The Pats have no one that beats solid man coverage anymore. They get all their passing yards with audibles and Brady picking defenses apart. But when they NEED a 1st down in the 4th quarter they lack that guy that can beat his man 1-on-1.

I’m hoping Margus Hunt the SMU DE is still available with their 2nd he would be great wreaking havok opposite Chandler Jones…

2. MaineMan says:

I’ve been watching Terron Armstead (6046/306, 34″ arms, Ark-Pine Bluff) since the Shrine Game. The consensus of the scouts there was that Armstead is an elite technician with good strength and elite athleticism. And his Combine numbers pretty much bear the latter out:

4.71/40, 1.64 10-yd
    31 reps
    34.5″ vert
    9’04″ long jump
    4.72 20-shuttle
    7.62 3-cone

Sounds like a day-one starting RT to me. I have my doubts that he falls far (far enough, that is) in the 2nd round now, though.

TJ Johnson is another guy who earned positive scouting notes at the Shrine Game.

3. rdf63 says:

Fragel has the size and strength at 6’7″- 6’8″ 312 lbs and bench pressed 225 lbs 33. He may have the size but he didnt make the first or second Big Ten teams which is why he should go 4th or 5th round. Frederick is a good center but probably will go in the middle to late 3rd round and the Big Ten had some other good centers including Stankiewitch of PSU and James Ferentz of Iowa but the best is Jones of Alabama.

4. Phil says:

Sio Moore, keep an eye on him. If I was Bill, there is no way I am not coming out of this draft without him on my team. In sub-package, put Hightower at MLB and Sio at SLB and just let ‘em go.

5. Russell Easterbrooks says:

Day two at the Combine ;
    OT Fisher; 5.05 40, Bench 27, Vertical jump, 28.5, Broad Jump 116, 3 cone 7.59, and 20yd shuttle,4.44

OT Fragel; 5.14 40, Bench 33, vertical jump, 30, Broad jump 113, 3 cone 7.62, and 20yd shuttle, 4.68

OT-Fisher 6’7″ 305, projected 1st round top 10
    OT- Fragel 6’8″ 308projected 5 round ???????

• Justin says:

The difference is what they put on tape. Fisher has good film and played/practiced well at the senior bowl.

6. Russell Easterbrooks says:

I don’t see the Patriots taking a TE early, but a guy to watch is TE Travis Kelce, at 6’6″ 260. The other guy I think the Patriots like is, TE Mychal Rivera, 6’3″ 245, who is projected a 7th rounder ?????

• Bobby says:

Mr. Easterbrooks, you are a complete fool if you think people are good based on how fast they can run around cones. The only drills that matter are the 40 yd dash for wrs and cbs, and the bench press because so many guys tear pectorals doing it.

• Billy C. says:

Actually the Pats love the 20 yard shuttle when evaluating talent at the skill position.

• Big Dan From Maine says:

The 20 yd shuttle and cone drills are more important than the 40 time. There are alot of fast guys that can only run a straight line. Would you rather have that or a guy like Welker that has some moves and quickness. Great example Ty Law was “to slow” to play corner. I THINK he ran around 4.55, but had great cone and short shuttle numbers. Quickness is important in Football, more so than straight line speed.

7. Russell Easterbrooks says:

Reid Fragel showed VERY well in the bench with 33 reps. At 6’8″ 308 with 34 1/8″ arms, will be interesting to see his times, as a former TE. I have him high on the Patriots want list!!!
    A surprise was T.J. Johnson who benched 32 reps, at 6’4″ 310 with 33 1/2 ” arms. He moves up my draft board.

8. Yopats says:

Good point in regards to a TE…I could see them picking up Reed for sure.

9. Wil says:

What are the chances Lane Johnson lasts to #16?

10. menelvagor says:

Frederick is a joke, he is awful